Fidelity free Turbotax

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
MisterBill

Re: Turbo Tax Premier 2016 Free @ Fidelity (Premium Services customers, maybe not all)

Postby MisterBill » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:16 pm

duckcalldan wrote:Premium Services client here, $500K, no free TT offer. I called PS and they said it's only for active traders, which I don't believe is correct.

Not based on active traders, unless one trade a month (and usually none) makes me active.

I could see it being based on assets, maybe $1m, since I was under last year and didn't get it and over this year and did.

HueyLD

Re: Turbo Tax Premier 2016 Free @ Fidelity (Premium Services customers, maybe not all)

Postby HueyLD » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:27 pm

It has been discussed on the forum since November. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=203884

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:46 pm

^^^ FYI - I merged MisterBill's thread into the linked thread.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

danaht

Postby danaht » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:20 pm

I received the free Turbo Tax offer this year. Thank you Fidelity! I am no longer a Premium Services client (not sure how I lost this title). But, I am considered an "Active Trader". You can tell if you are considered an "Active Trader" because Fidelity will have a drop down with the words "Active Trader Services" in the upper right hand side of the Fidelity main page. I believe "Premium Services" used to be there when I was a Premium Services member.

What makes me an Active Trader? I am not really sure. I don't automatically reinvest dividends. So every time I receive dividends - I buy some of the Fidelity commission free ETFs. I also occasionally add funds and buy the same ETFs. So, perhaps just buying the commission free ETFs every month makes me an active trader! Awesome!

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:59 pm

LadyGeek wrote:^^^ FYI - I merged MisterBill's thread into the linked thread.

Too bad you didn't keep the more descriptive title (mine).

whodidntante

Postby whodidntante » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:07 pm

I've executed sixty-seven trades at Fidelity since January 1st, so I suppose that's why I got the offer. However, I paid commission on only four trades.

HueyLD

Postby HueyLD » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:40 pm

whodidntante wrote:I've executed sixty-seven trades at Fidelity since January 1st, so I suppose that's why I got the offer. However, I paid commission on only four trades.

Paying commission is only one way Fido earns money on your trades. Fido also makes money on spreads.

whodidntante

Postby whodidntante » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:06 pm

HueyLD wrote:
whodidntante wrote:I've executed sixty-seven trades at Fidelity since January 1st, so I suppose that's why I got the offer. However, I paid commission on only four trades.

Paying commission is only one way Fido earns money on your trades. Fido also makes money on spreads.

Are you saying that Fidelity acts as a market maker? I've never checked into that. What is clear is they receive compensation from Blackrock.

"For iShares ETFs, Fidelity receives compensation from the ETF sponsor and/or its affiliates in connection with an exclusive long-term marketing program that includes promotion of iShares ETFs and inclusion of iShares funds in certain FBS platforms and investment programs."

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:07 pm

So, there is no discount available for Home & Business on the Turbotax website, but if you need that version, you can upgrade within the program for only $10. Install it and then go to to Help -> Upgrade TurboTax.

tfb

Postby tfb » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:52 am

stlutz wrote:
There seems to be 3 Fidelity qualifying requirements that individually can be satisfied to trigger the TurboTax link:

- being an active trader
- having non-retirement balance of at least $1m (excludes IRA/401k)
- $100k in personal investing (excludes business-related accounts)

I don't understanding the distinction between #2 and #3?

I think #3 means $100k in new money added.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:46 am

tfb wrote:
stlutz wrote:
There seems to be 3 Fidelity qualifying requirements that individually can be satisfied to trigger the TurboTax link:

- being an active trader

I don't understanding the distinction between #2 and #3?

I think #3 means $100k in new money added.

I don't think so. That would mean you'd only get it if you added new money each year. I take it to mean that the $1m can include business accounts (or maybe trust?) but you need to have $100k in your own money as well.

In any event, I can say that #1 and #2 do not apply in my case. I am not an active trader and my non-retirement funds are less than $1m. However, if you count my non-401k balances (including IRA+HSA), I'm there.
Last edited by MisterBill on Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeraniumLover

Postby GeraniumLover » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:44 pm

My statements say I am in the "Private Client Group" and the website says I am an "Active Trader", but I am not getting the offer for the free TurboTax Premium. I called the Private Client Group and they said you need to have 120 trades a year to get the offer. Then they called back and said they may be able to extend it to me in January and to check back then.

feh

Postby feh » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:51 pm

GeraniumLover wrote:My statements say I am in the "Private Client Group" and the website says I am an "Active Trader", but I am not getting the offer for the free TurboTax Premium. I called the Private Client Group and they said you need to have 120 trades a year to get the offer.

Sounds like there is a great deal of internal miscommunication on this offer...

I downloaded the Premium version for free last week, and I've never come anywhere close to 120 trades.

boglephreak

Postby boglephreak » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:43 pm

any idea whether you can get it if your company sponsored 401k is with fidelity, but you do not have any other accounts with them?

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:45 pm

boglephreak wrote:any idea whether you can get it if your company sponsored 401k is with fidelity, but you do not have any other accounts with them?

Pretty sure that alone does not qualify (it didn't for me last year, although I also had fairly small Fidelity brokerage and CMA accounts in addition to my 401k).

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:46 pm

GeraniumLover wrote:My statements say I am in the "Private Client Group" and the website says I am an "Active Trader", but I am not getting the offer for the free TurboTax Premium. I called the Private Client Group and they said you need to have 120 trades a year to get the offer. Then they called back and said they may be able to extend it to me in January and to check back then.

The 120 trades part isn't correct.

BTW I just got a holiday card in the mail today from the Fidelity CEO and a separate insert from my local financial consultant (and it turns out she is Private Client Group, which my statements also say). No free oranges like my former broker at Morgan Stanley used to send, but TurboTax is a better gift!

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:48 pm

feh wrote:Sounds like there is a great deal of internal miscommunication on this offer...

I downloaded the Premium version for free last week, and I've never come anywhere close to 120 trades.

Yes, lots of confusion there and here. Is there anyone who got this whose statements do not say Private Client Group?

blastoff

Postby blastoff » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:47 am

If you have the fidelity offer, does it expire well before taxes are due (say in next month), or is it typically available through April 2017?

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:17 am

blastoff wrote:If you have the fidelity offer, does it expire well before taxes are due (say in next month), or is it typically available through April 2017?

It doesn't say. I wonder if there are a limited number of licenses available, after which the offer disappears. I certainly would not wait to take advantage of it, if it's available to you. I think you can "purchase" the online version now as well if that's your preference, even though you don't normally pay until you file the return.

Church Lady

Postby Church Lady » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:23 pm

I had the offer last year, but not this year. I am in the Active Trader group, although I wouldn't call myself an active trader.

I have tried Firefox after clearing cookies and cache, and I have tried IE 11 after clearing cookies and 'web site data', and I am not seeing the offer.

When I log in, I land on the Portfolio page.

Any suggestions?
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

Traveler

Postby Traveler » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:50 pm

According to their website, to be a Private Client, one needs $1M in assets. To be an Active Trader, one needs to have 120+ trades a year. I'm neither although I have a fair amount of money at Fidelity. I'll check in January and see if they offer a broader deal.

jazman12

Postby jazman12 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:04 pm

Procrastination is good in this case

MikeG62

Postby MikeG62 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:23 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
gobigorgohome wrote:
2beachcombers wrote:I purchase TT desktop every year, send receipt to Fido and they refund--simple

jerry

Jerry,

How does one go about this or phrase it to the fine folks at Fidelity? I bought TT premier which is of course non returnable to amazon. I now see the link to get it free when I log into FIDO.

I'd like to know the answer to that too...

Just sent my rep at Fidelity an e-mail with a link to this thread asking what he knows about the reimbursement policy (only interested in desktop version). After all I am in their client private client group. Will circle back and post what I find out.

OK, just talked to my rep. Private Client Group members are entitled to TT Premier for free. If you are a PCG member, you should see a link to TT on the main screen when you log in. If you click on the link it takes you to TT where you can either start using the online version "or" download the desktop version to your computer. I choose to do the latter and downloaded it. The cost was $0.

Interestingly, the only version that was free is Premier. All other versions (even lesser versions) were discounted, but not free.

Hope that helps clarify a bit.

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:24 pm

MikeG62 wrote:OK, just talked to my rep. Private Client Group members are entitled to TT Premier for free. If you are a PCG member, you should see a link to TT on the main screen when you log in. If you click on the link it takes you to TT where you can either start using the online version "or" download the desktop version to your computer. I choose to do the latter and downloaded it. The cost was $0.

Interestingly, the only version that was free is Premier. All other versions (even lesser versions) were discounted, but not free.

Hope that helps clarify a bit.

Yet there are people here who are PCG and have posted that they're not seeing it. So either not everyone gets it or the Fidelity website is messed up. Everything else you described has been reported here already.

The biggest issue with the other versions not being discounted is if you want Home & Business instead. Fortunately, you can get it for $10 by upgrading from within the program after you install it.

Kevin M

Postby Kevin M » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:29 pm

MikeG62 wrote:OK, just talked to my rep. Private Client Group members are entitled to TT Premier for free. If you are a PCG member, you should see a link to TT on the main screen when you log in.

I am PCG (or so it says at top right of my All Accounts - Summary page), but I don't see a link to TT anywhere on the page.

Where on the screen do you see it, and what do you mean by "main screen"?

I see a link "Visit Tax Information" under "Your 2016 Tax Information" about half way down on the right, but when I click that link, all I see on the target page is a $20 off offer for TT, and when I click through the pages to the TT page, all I see for the download products is a $10 discount.

Kevin
||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

F150HD

Postby F150HD » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:37 pm

FIREchief wrote:
stlutz wrote:
On a related note, I would NEVER type all of my personal information into an on-line version of the software. Do people actually do this??

What do you think happens to your information when you use the standalone software and click "File Return"?

I don't do that. I send completed IRS forms via certified mail. If you read my earlier posts, you'll see that I have never used TT and am considering spending the $30 just to have a tool to double check my numbers. Once you get into AMT, Schedule D, etc, the numbers can get a bit more complicated.

in a day and age of identity theft, mailing a paper copy that goes through the hands of several people, any one of which could open it, scan it (and your personal info) and then repackage and send it on its merry way doesn't make me feel too safe. This assumes it doesn't get lost and found by someone random who opens it and then has all your personal information (SS# etc). Yes, even if sent certified, a desparate USPS clerk has nothing to lose.

Dunno. Doing it securely using quality software seems much safer.

FIREchief

Postby FIREchief » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:22 pm

F150HD wrote:
FIREchief wrote:
stlutz wrote:
On a related note, I would NEVER type all of my personal information into an on-line version of the software. Do people actually do this??

What do you think happens to your information when you use the standalone software and click "File Return"?

I don't do that. I send completed IRS forms via certified mail. If you read my earlier posts, you'll see that I have never used TT and am considering spending the $30 just to have a tool to double check my numbers. Once you get into AMT, Schedule D, etc, the numbers can get a bit more complicated.

in a day and age of identity theft, mailing a paper copy that goes through the hands of several people, any one of which could open it, scan it (and your personal info) and then repackage and send it on its merry way doesn't make me feel too safe. This assumes it doesn't get lost and found by someone random who opens it and then has all your personal information (SS# etc). Yes, even if sent certified, a desparate USPS clerk has nothing to lose.

Dunno. Doing it securely using quality software seems much safer.

Problem being, we always find out which software isn't secure only when it is too late.

MikeG62

Postby MikeG62 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:27 pm

Kevin M wrote:
MikeG62 wrote:OK, just talked to my rep. Private Client Group members are entitled to TT Premier for free. If you are a PCG member, you should see a link to TT on the main screen when you log in.

I am PCG (or so it says at top right of my All Accounts - Summary page), but I don't see a link to TT anywhere on the page.

Where on the screen do you see it, and what do you mean by "main screen"?

I see a link "Visit Tax Information" under "Your 2016 Tax Information" about half way down on the right, but when I click that link, all I see on the target page is a $20 off offer for TT, and when I click through the pages to the TT page, all I see for the download products is a $10 discount.

Kevin

Kevin,

When I log into my account(s) at Fidelity, the screen that comes up after the login page is what I am calling the main screen. Perhaps it is better called the "home page". The left most column of that page contains a listing of all my accounts. The right three-quarters of the screen contain a series of tabs across the top starting with "Summary" and ending with "More".

Staying on the "Summary" page and right below the account balance there is a graph which says "Your Balance History". Immediately to the right of that graph (the right column on that page) contains a number of things. The first one on my screen is a link to the "eMoney Advisor Fidelity Customer Portal". Right under that is a box which says "Get TurboTax Online Premier free". At the bottom of that box is a link which says, "Get started now". By the way, this is immediately above the box which says "Your 2016 Tax Information".

When I click on the "Get started now" link, it takes me to the TT website. Once on that site, below the picture with the two people, there are two options. On the left, there is a link to the online products. To the right, it says "download" and that is where you can download the desktop version of Premier (for free).

Fidelity makes this very confusing by including a link on the Summary tab of the home screen which says "Get TurboTax Online Premier free" when in fact it should just say "Get Turbo Tax Premier free", because either version is available.

I hope that clarifies.

Kevin M

Postby Kevin M » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:09 pm

MikeG62 wrote:Kevin,

When I log into my account(s) at Fidelity, the screen that comes up after the login page is what I am calling the main screen. Perhaps it is better called the "home page". The left most column of that page contains a listing of all my accounts. The right three-quarters of the screen contain a series of tabs across the top starting with "Summary" and ending with "More".

OK, I see a similar screen when I log on--it is labeled "All Accounts" above the Summary ... More tabs.

Staying on the "Summary" page and right below the account balance there is a graph which says "Your Balance History". Immediately to the right of that graph (the right column on that page) contains a number of things. The first one on my screen is a link to the "eMoney Advisor Fidelity Customer Portal". Right under that is a box which says "Get TurboTax Online Premier free". At the bottom of that box is a link which says, "Get started now". By the way, this is immediately above the box which says "Your 2016 Tax Information".

My screen is laid out differently. The balance history is in one of the boxes in the right column, for example. But the key thing is that there is no get TT free link between any of the boxes in the right column, or anywhere else on the screen (searching on "tax" shows 5 hits, none of them is "TurboTax", and searching for Turbo shows no hits).

So apparently as others have indicated, just being designated as Fidelity Private Client Group does not seem to be sufficient to have this link available. I'm not highly motivated to follow up with a Fidelity rep on this, since I've moved lots of money out of Fidelity since I was originally put into this group years ago, and I doubt I really qualify anymore--total of all accounts is in low six digits.

Thanks for the details though.

I have already purchased H&R Block Deluxe with State for $22, but wouldn't mind having free TT as an alternative.

Kevin
||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:28 am

FIREchief wrote:
F150HD wrote:Dunno. Doing it securely using quality software seems much safer.

Problem being, we always find out which software isn't secure only when it is too late.

So do you avoid online access to your banking and investment accounts as well? Those may not be safe to use either. I'm wondering where your level of concern (I was going to call it paranoia) lies.

BTW I also have no interest in using the online version of TurboTax but that's more because I like to run it on my own machine and store the data locally rather than everything being on their system.

FIREchief

Postby FIREchief » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:29 am

MisterBill wrote:
FIREchief wrote:
F150HD wrote:Dunno. Doing it securely using quality software seems much safer.

So do you avoid online access to your banking and investment accounts as well? Those may not be safe to use either. I'm wondering where your level of concern (I was going to call it paranoia) lies.

LOL. You were "going to call it paranoia?" You just did that. Sometimes it isn't paranoia. Sometimes, the crooks really are trying to steal our stuff! Give it a few more years. You'll understand.... :sharebeer

pshonore

Postby pshonore » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:19 am

Fido rep called today on another matter. While I had him on the phone, I asked about free TT. He checked around and called back with these details.

This is the program for 2017:

1. Be a High volume trader (500+ trades) OR
2. Have $1 mill in assets at Fido and at least 120 trades

Doesn't seem to agree with the experience so far.

stlutz

Postby stlutz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:22 pm

Perhaps by randomizing the offer, their goal is to prompt people to login to their accounts more frequently to see if they have the offer. And while I'm there, might as well place a trade... :happy

MikeG62

Postby MikeG62 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:11 pm

pshonore wrote:Fido rep called today on another matter. While I had him on the phone, I asked about free TT. He checked around and called back with these details.

This is the program for 2017:

1. Be a High volume trader (500+ trades) OR
2. Have $1 mill in assets at Fido and at least 120 trades

Doesn't seem to agree with the experience so far.

Totally. I got the offer and meet the asset cutoff in bullet point 2, but no where near 120 trades a year.

It is frustrating that Fidelity just does not have one set of rules/criteria. It's ridiculous when different people call and they each get different answers. :annoyed

stlutz

Postby stlutz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:21 pm

It is the most expensive piece of tax software out there. Fidelity has to pay for it somehow. There are multiple ways beyond making stock/ETF trades that Fidelity can make money off of people. They are targeting the ones who are profitable to them and who they feel like the offer will help ensure that they remain customers.

I use and like Fidelity, but if I get the offer I would say there is probably something wrong with their algo.

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:12 pm

stlutz wrote:It is the most expensive piece of tax software out there. Fidelity has to pay for it somehow. There are multiple ways beyond making stock/ETF trades that Fidelity can make money off of people. They are targeting the ones who are profitable to them and who they feel like the offer will help ensure that they remain customers.

I use and like Fidelity, but if I get the offer I would say there is probably something wrong with their algo.

Maybe they get free copies in exchange for pushing the $20 discount for everyone.

Holiday gifts for good customers are apparently not uncommon in the brokerage industry. My Morgan Stanley guy used to send us a case of oranges. I just got a couple of bags of popcorn from another firm where I have a bunch of money. I don't know if Fidelity sends gifts -- I got a holiday card and no mention of anything. So if this is their holiday gift, it works for me.

amp

Postby amp » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:48 pm

MikeG62 wrote:Staying on the "Summary" page and right below the account balance there is a graph which says "Your Balance History". Immediately to the right of that graph (the right column on that page) contains a number of things. The first one on my screen is a link to the "eMoney Advisor Fidelity Customer Portal". Right under that is a box which says "Get TurboTax Online Premier free". At the bottom of that box is a link which says, "Get started now". By the way, this is immediately above the box which says "Your 2016 Tax Information".

Thanks. This was helpful to me.

Kevin M wrote:My screen is laid out differently. The balance history is in one of the boxes in the right column, for example. But the key thing is that there is no get TT free link between any of the boxes in the right column, or anywhere else on the screen (searching on "tax" shows 5 hits, none of them is "TurboTax", and searching for Turbo shows no hits).
Kevin

When I initially logged in to the summary page, I didn't see what MikeG62 described. But at the top of the page there was a box that said, "You're currently testing the streamlined view of your Summary." Next to that was a text link to switch back to the regular version. When I clicked that link, I got the page with the TurboTax offer on it.

Kevin M

Postby Kevin M » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:44 am

amp wrote:When I initially logged in to the summary page, I didn't see what MikeG62 described. But at the top of the page there was a box that said, "You're currently testing the streamlined view of your Summary." Next to that was a text link to switch back to the regular version. When I clicked that link, I got the page with the TurboTax offer on it.

I don't see the "testing streamlined view" message nor a link to switch.

stlutz wrote:Perhaps by randomizing the offer, their goal is to prompt people to login to their accounts more frequently to see if they have the offer. And while I'm there, might as well place a trade... :happy

This thread certainly is getting me to login multiple times just to check for the offer, like again just now to check out this latest input. But no trades.

Kevin

Leif

Postby Leif » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Leif on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

pshonore

Postby pshonore » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:35 pm

I'll just mention one more time that the Basic version of TT (CD/download) does every form that the higher versions do. If you know what you're doing there is no reason to pay more for the "advanced" versions. On the other hand if you're a "first-timer" you may benefit from the "hand-holding" of the advanced versions.

Leif

Postby Leif » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:00 pm

pshonore wrote:I'll just mention one more time that the Basic version of TT (CD/download) does every form that the higher versions do. If you know what you're doing there is no reason to pay more for the "advanced" versions. On the other hand if you're a "first-timer" you may benefit from the "hand-holding" of the advanced versions.

They all have the same forms. But if you want guidance, and guidance may change from year to year, you may want to get the version that matches your needs. On the TT website they show the different areas covered in a comparison of different TT versions.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:12 pm

Leif wrote:
pshonore wrote:I'll just mention one more time that the Basic version of TT (CD/download) does every form that the higher versions do. If you know what you're doing there is no reason to pay more for the "advanced" versions. On the other hand if you're a "first-timer" you may benefit from the "hand-holding" of the advanced versions.

They all have the same forms. But if you want guidance, and guidance may change from year to year, you may want to get the version that matches your needs. On the TT website they show the different areas covered in a comparison of different TT versions.

Is that really true? Last year, when they removed schedules C and D from the CD/download version of Deluxe (and got lots of bad publicity and eventually had to reverse the decision and give people free upgrades to Premier), I didn't think you could file a return if you had those schedules. Perhaps you're saying that you can open the form and fill it in manually but they won't ask for the info in the interview. Will they download the transactions or will you have the take the info from 1099's?

Leif

Postby Leif » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:26 pm

MisterBill wrote: Perhaps you're saying that you can open the form and fill it in manually but they won't ask for the info in the interview. Will they download the transactions or will you have the take the info from 1099's?

I think that is what pshonore is saying. I also heard about the "missing" forms debacle. After that they said they won't make that mistake again. Other features, such as the ability to import, I don't know since I always get the H&B version. Perhaps someone with the basic version can answer. If all you need is the forms you can get the free TT on-line version. I think the electronic forms are also downloadable from the IRS website.

HopeToGolf

Postby HopeToGolf » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:12 pm

Last year I started a thread on this and was looking for the offer this year but it is a bit buried depending on your start screen.

My start screen was the "streamlined" Summary view. There was no sign of the offer there. In the Tax section of the Accounts &Trade tab, I see the $20 off offer at the bottom of the page (apparently available to anyone).

To get to my free Turbo Tax Premier offer, I had to revert to the typical/old Summary view where I saw the following, roughly, in the middle of the scrolled page:

Get TurboTax® Online Premier free
Receive a free federal and state tax return
TurboTax® will automatically import your Fidelity account info
Get your refund quickly by direct depositing into your Fidelity account
Get started now

Once I navigated to TT, I was able to download Premier for free (since I do not like the online version). As far as I can tell, the requirements (i.e. status as a "regular," private client, premium services and/or frequent trader customer) to get the free offer are unclear. For reference I am neither a frequent trader nor private client.

For many of you here, $50-$100 savings may not mean much but I hope this helps someone.

pshonore

Postby pshonore » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:19 pm

Perhaps someone who gets the free offer can view the Source code for the "Summary" web page and let us know the magic key or URL .

Kevin M

Postby Kevin M » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:22 pm

HopeToGolf wrote:To get to my free Turbo Tax Premier offer, I had to revert to the typical/old Summary view where I saw the following, roughly, in the middle of the scrolled page:
<snip>

Yes, this is at least the second time this has been mentioned, but the problem is how to get to the "old" Summary view. I see no way to do that. It could be that I've been migrated to the new Summary page longer than you have, so I no longer have a choice to revert to the old version.
pshonore wrote:Perhaps someone who gets the free offer can view the Source code for the "Summary" web page and let us know the magic key or URL .

Yes, that would be nice.

Kevin

HopeToGolf

Postby HopeToGolf » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:19 pm

Kevin M wrote:
HopeToGolf wrote:To get to my free Turbo Tax Premier offer, I had to revert to the typical/old Summary view where I saw the following, roughly, in the middle of the scrolled page:
<snip>

Yes, this is at least the second time this has been mentioned, but the problem is how to get to the "old" Summary view. I see no way to do that. It could be that I've been migrated to the new Summary page longer than you have, so I no longer have a choice to revert to the old version.
pshonore wrote:Perhaps someone who gets the free offer can view the Source code for the "Summary" web page and let us know the magic key or URL .

Yes, that would be nice.

Kevin

You seem frustrated...I did not read all the replies and pick up that someone else offered this information.

I had a link that allowed me to navigate to the old view. I clicked it and it took me to the old summary.

For those of us who are less than perfectly tech savvy, the idea of finding the source code, copying it and pasting it to a forum does not sound like a great idea.

Good luck trying to save your $100.

pshonore

Postby pshonore » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:33 pm

HopeToGolf wrote:
You seem frustrated...I did not read all the replies and pick up that someone else offered this information.

I had a link that allowed me to navigate to the old view. I clicked it and it took me to the old summary.

For those of us who are less than perfectly tech savvy, the idea of finding the source code, copying it and pasting it to a forum does not sound like a great idea.

Good luck trying to save your $100.
Anyone can view the HTML source by just using keystroke CTRL + U (In Chrome browser). Of course going through perhaps a thousand lines of code is a little more difficult. In the old days, it was much simpler. By the way, I spent $29 for Basic so I don't need it.

harikaried

Postby harikaried » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:45 pm

harikaried wrote:There seems to be 3 Fidelity qualifying requirements that individually can be satisfied to trigger the TurboTax link:

- being an active trader
I called Premium Services again, and they clarified that the "3" requirements are actually 2: active trader or balance requirements. The latter 2 are part of a combined requirement (which makes more sense now).

madbrain

Postby madbrain » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:39 pm

HopeToGolf wrote:Good luck trying to save your $100.

Turbo Tax Premier is only $54.86 at Amazon or Costco, so it's not even $100. I would like to save it too, but I don't meet the minimum requirements. Most of my investments are in IRA & 401k.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”