Fidelity free Turbotax

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Hayden

Fidelity free Turbotax

Post by Hayden » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:49 pm

Last year i got Turbotax free from Fidelity. This year, i only see the $20 off offer from Fidelity. Is anyone getting Turbotax free from Fidelity this year?

Church Lady

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax

Post by Church Lady » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:14 pm

Same here. Maybe it is too early to look?
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Give it another month.

See this thread from Dec. 2015 viewtopic.php?t=180677

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:27 pm

Used to be free from vanguard with a high dollar account but I think that's over. Does fidelity require a certain balance for this?

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:34 pm

nalor511 wrote:Used to be free from vanguard with a high dollar account but I think that's over. Does fidelity require a certain balance for this?

Click on the link above. The answer is: it depends.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:43 pm

HueyLD wrote:
nalor511 wrote:Used to be free from vanguard with a high dollar account but I think that's over. Does fidelity require a certain balance for this?

So confusing

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:13 pm

nalor511 wrote:
HueyLD wrote:

So confusing

When I've learned about fidelity bonuses on Bogleheads, I've contacted Fidelity and told them I want that. They've always agreed. My plan was to do the same thing here. That's why I'm asking if anyone else has gotten free TurboTax from Fidelity this year.

danaht

Post by danaht » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:02 pm

I no longer see the 'Premium Services' status on my Fidelity account. I believe this was a requirement to get the free turbo tax in the previous year. My account balance is well above the $250,000 account balance to get this level - so I am wondering if Fidelity is quietly dropping their Premium Services program? Anyone else still see their 'Premium Services' status?

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:53 pm

@danaht, I too have well over 250,000 but I have never achieved Premium Services. I got the free software last year.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:18 pm

I checked my account and just a simple $20 off. It does not seem to include the "basic" edition, which is available for $30 from Amazon. From what I can see, the basic edition includes all the forms I would need, but doesn't include extras like state tax filing, TurboTax advice/suggestions, etc. I've never used turbotax in the past, preferring to use a spreadsheet and actual IRS forms/instructions to "force" me to learn the real rules. This has served me well over the decades, and is an approach I would recommend to anyone who wants or needs to truly understand our tax system. I may drop the $30 this year just to have a tool to double check numbers, as my taxes have grown a bit more complex.

On a related note, I would NEVER type all of my personal information into an on-line version of the software. Do people actually do this?? :confused
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:28 pm

Last year Fidelity's discount was the same amount as one could get from Amazon and others. I never had been offered free tax software from Fidelity. Vanguard no longer offers free TurboTax either. Last year I bought it from Amazon. My account size at Fidelity is not very large.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:59 pm

FIREchief wrote:I checked my account and just a simple $20 off. It does not seem to include the "basic" edition, which is available for $30 from Amazon. From what I can see, the basic edition includes all the forms I would need, but doesn't include extras like state tax filing, TurboTax advice/suggestions, etc. I've never used turbotax in the past, preferring to use a spreadsheet and actual IRS forms/instructions to "force" me to learn the real rules. This has served me well over the decades, and is an approach I would recommend to anyone who wants or needs to truly understand our tax system. I may drop the $30 this year just to have a tool to double check numbers, as my taxes have grown a bit more complex.

On a related note, I would NEVER type all of my personal information into an on-line version of the software. Do people actually do this?? :confused
I just got my copy of TT Basic. I believe it contains almost every form in the higher versions. You can either fill in data in Form mode if you know your way around or go through Interview.

Elena

Post by Elena » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:12 pm

This question and all the answers got me thinking. I have had my retirement accts. with TIAA-CREF for 15 yrs., and they have never, ever, offered me anything free or any incentives. They are retirement accts., sure, but they have over $350,000 in holdings for which I pay expense ratios.
It seems like, since it is an employer's plan, they take my business for granted, or rather that I am a captive client.
I may now at least move my IRAs to anyone who gives me an incentive.
Sorry for the rant. :annoyed

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:21 am

pshonore wrote:
FIREchief wrote:I checked my account and just a simple $20 off. It does not seem to include the "basic" edition, which is available for $30 from Amazon. From what I can see, the basic edition includes all the forms I would need, but doesn't include extras like state tax filing, TurboTax advice/suggestions, etc. I've never used turbotax in the past, preferring to use a spreadsheet and actual IRS forms/instructions to "force" me to learn the real rules. This has served me well over the decades, and is an approach I would recommend to anyone who wants or needs to truly understand our tax system. I may drop the $30 this year just to have a tool to double check numbers, as my taxes have grown a bit more complex.

I just got my copy of TT Basic. I believe it contains almost every form in the higher versions. You can either fill in data in Form mode if you know your way around or go through Interview.

Thanks for that info. I'm sure I would prefer the forms mode. If I have any questions, I strongly prefer reading the actual IRS pubs/instructions so as to ensure I am getting full, accurate info (except those rare cases where the IRS themselves have an error). I think I'll spend the $29 to try it out this year.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:31 am

FIREchief wrote:On a related note, I would NEVER type all of my personal information into an on-line version of the software. Do people actually do this?? :confused

Of course they do.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:12 pm

On a related note, I would NEVER type all of my personal information into an on-line version of the software. Do people actually do this??

What do you think happens to your information when you use the standalone software and click "File Return"?

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:13 pm

FIREchief wrote:
pshonore wrote:

Thanks for that info. I'm sure I would prefer the forms mode. If I have any questions, I strongly prefer reading the actual IRS pubs/instructions so as to ensure I am getting full, accurate info (except those rare cases where the IRS themselves have an error). I think I'll spend the $29 to try it out this year.
Just be sure to fill out the Forms completely. For example on a 1099R Form be sure to go the bottom of the TT Form and answer the questions about RMDs, QCDs, Roth conversions, basis, etc. On the other hand, if you do the interview, TT will ask the appropriate questions and fill out the form for you. Either way works but you have to know what TT does internally to get it right if you work strictly in Form mode. One way is to fill out the forms as much as you like and then do the interview. TT will show you everything you've input (you can double check your data entry) and TT will still ask appropriate questions.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:02 pm

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:31 pm

stlutz wrote:
On a related note, I would NEVER type all of my personal information into an on-line version of the software. Do people actually do this??

What do you think happens to your information when you use the standalone software and click "File Return"?

I don't do that. I send completed IRS forms via certified mail. If you read my earlier posts, you'll see that I have never used TT and am considering spending the $30 just to have a tool to double check my numbers. Once you get into AMT, Schedule D, etc, the numbers can get a bit more complicated.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:03 am

The $20 discount is for ANYBODY.

From Fidelity's website:

"... Get up to $20 off (both online and desktop versions), whether you are a current customer or are just visiting Fidelity.com. ..."

(emphasis added)

dual

Post by dual » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:08 pm

Elena wrote:This question and all the answers got me thinking. I have had my retirement accts. with TIAA-CREF for 15 yrs., and they have never, ever, offered me anything free or any incentives. They are retirement accts., sure, but they have over $350,000 in holdings for which I pay expense ratios.
It seems like, since it is an employer's plan, they take my business for granted, or rather that I am a captive client.
I may now at least move my IRAs to anyone who gives me an incentive.
Sorry for the rant. :annoyed

There is a thread here about broker transfer bonuses, which you easily qualify for. Since it's in an IRA you can liquidate your mutual funds and then buy equivalent ETFs or mutual funds once you have done the transfer.

A good offer available through the end of December is this one from MerrillEdge that will get you $1000 for a $200K transfer
http://www.merrilledge.com/offers/1000offer

A $200K balance on your account makes you eligible for a BankOfAmerica Premier (I think that is the name) account which includes free checking account and safe deposit box. In addition you get a 75% bonus on their rewards credit cards. I have a BofA card that with the Premier status pays a 2.625% bonus on all purchases. That includes, for example, income and property tax payments that usually charge less than that as fees so you make money paying taxes. :?

There are other bonuses so look for the thread if you are interested.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:27 pm

dual wrote:
A good offer available through the end of December is this one from MerrillEdge that will get you $1000 for a $200K transfer
http://www.merrilledge.com/offers/1000offer

A $200K balance on your account makes you eligible for a BankOfAmerica Premier (I think that is the name) account which includes free checking account and safe deposit box. In addition you get a 75% bonus on their rewards credit cards. I have a BofA card that with the Premier status pays a 2.625% bonus on all purchases. That includes, for example, income and property tax payments that usually charge less than that as fees so you make money paying taxes. :?

There are other bonuses so look for the thread if you are interested.

When I look at the link, it pays a .75% bonus on 1% which makes it 1.75% or am I missing something??
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

dual

Post by dual » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:30 am

TheGreyingDuke wrote:When I look at the link, it pays a .75% bonus on 1% which makes it 1.75% or am I missing something??

I have a BofA Travel Rewards Signature Visa ... Grand Poobah (I am not sure what the designations are :D ) card. It pays 1.5% on purchases then with the Preferred Banking bonus it goes up to 2.625%.

Here is a fatwallet thread on this card and how you can get it based on your balance at MerrillEdge
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1335073

edit: here is the thread on Bogleheads about broker transfer bonuses:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=196884

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:37 pm

I just logged into Fidelity to see whether they have updated the Turbotax offer.

I checked the pulldown menu under "Guidance & Retirement", and ... no Taxes page!

Did I screw up the navigation to the Taxes page, or is it really gone?

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:46 pm

Church Lady wrote:I just logged into Fidelity to see whether they have updated the Turbotax offer.

I checked the pulldown menu under "Guidance & Retirement", and ... no Taxes page!

Did I screw up the navigation to the Taxes page, or is it really gone?

https://www.fidelity.com/tax-informatio ... t/overview

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:31 pm

That Fidelity offer is "up to $20" off. If you want a CD version to install rather than doing it online, that reduced price is still slightly more than Costco's price. I am waiting and hoping it goes on sale at Costco in the next month or so.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:45 pm

Church Lady wrote:Did I screw up the navigation to the Taxes page, or is it really gone?
It used to link to this page:

https://www.fidelity.com/taxes/overview

That now redirects to the following page which links to the $20 discount near the bottom:

https://dpcs.fidelity.com/prgw/dpcs/tax-information/

So at minimum, they're changing things around on their Taxes page.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am

When I login to Fidelity, I see a free Turbotax Premier online offer for federal and state on the landing page. I signed up for it. It might be a targeted offer. YMMV.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:02 pm

Thanks for posting the PSA. Fantastic news.

Leif

Post by Leif » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:16 pm

I also see an offer for free TT Online Premier at Fidelity. Anyone try calling them to see if they can get a discount on the CDs? Last year I bought it from Amazon. I noticed the price dropped at Amazon from when I bought in December to January.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:30 pm

Leif wrote:I also see an offer for free TT Online Premier at Fidelity.

You can also download. It is a bit tricky to get to the download screen.

feh

Post by feh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:36 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Leif wrote:I also see an offer for free TT Online Premier at Fidelity.

You can also download. It is a bit tricky to get to the download screen.

Yes, the navigation could be clearer, but I've successfully downloaded a free copy.

On the pages I saw along the way, one said State would cost extra, while another page said one State download was included. I want to say there was similar confusion last year, but in the end I did not have to pay for the State download.

I don't know if this offer is available for everybody; we have a significant amount at Fidelity.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks for posting! I successfully downloaded TurboTax Premier for free.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:35 pm

A Premium Services representative said that the link shouldn't be showing up until January, so for the people who are seeing it, perhaps it's an early testing rollout?

There seems to be 3 Fidelity qualifying requirements that individually can be satisfied to trigger the TurboTax link:

- being an active trader
- having non-retirement balance of at least $1m (excludes IRA/401k)
- $100k in personal investing (excludes business-related accounts)

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:37 pm

harikaried wrote:A Premium Services representative said that the link shouldn't be showing up until January, so for the people who are seeing it, perhaps it's an early testing rollout?

There seems to be 3 Fidelity qualifying requirements that individually can be satisfied to trigger the TurboTax link:

- being an active trader

If bullet (3) includes 401k accounts, I'm golden.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:49 pm

This sounds like last year. TT was free for certain Fido customers but no one could tell us what the requirements were (account balance, etc.) I guess we now know the requirements.

HikerNC

Post by HikerNC » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:05 am

The offer was shown on my Fidelity account home page yesterday but I didn't have time to download it yesterday. Today, however, the offer now longer appears. I suppose it will show up again in January 2017.

danaht

Post by danaht » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:16 am

Saw the offer from Fidelity's page this morning. Clicked on it to go to the Intuit site. The Premiere download version offer shows up for $0.00 on the Intuit page for me. But when I add it to the cart - it then registers as $89.99. Has anyone successfully received the Premiere version for free yet from Fidelity? I may call Intuit to see why the discount is not being applied in the cart.

2beachcombers

Post by 2beachcombers » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:17 am

I purchase TT desktop every year, send receipt to Fido and they refund--simple

jerry

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:27 am

danaht wrote:Saw the offer from Fidelity's page this morning. Clicked on it to go to the Intuit site. The Premiere download version offer shows up for $0.00 on the Intuit page for me. But when I add it to the cart - it then registers as $89.99. Has anyone successfully received the Premiere version for free yet from Fidelity? I may call Intuit to see why the discount is not being applied in the cart.

You need to clean up all the cookies and re-download TT from the Fido link.

I suspect that you clicked on something incorrectly. The interface is a bit tricky to maneuver.

danaht

Post by danaht » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:40 am

HueyLD wrote:
danaht wrote:Saw the offer from Fidelity's page this morning. Clicked on it to go to the Intuit site. The Premiere download version offer shows up for $0.00 on the Intuit page for me. But when I add it to the cart - it then registers as $89.99. Has anyone successfully received the Premiere version for free yet from Fidelity? I may call Intuit to see why the discount is not being applied in the cart.

You need to clean up all the cookies and re-download TT from the Fido link.

I suspect that you clicked on something incorrectly. The interface is a bit tricky to maneuver.

Thanks! Using Chrome instead of Firefox worked. What a great deal! It's probably time for me delete all the cookies, and cache on Firefox.

mapleosb

Post by mapleosb » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:59 pm

harikaried wrote:A Premium Services representative said that the link shouldn't be showing up until January, so for the people who are seeing it, perhaps it's an early testing rollout?

- being an active trader

My wife has none of these qualifiying requirements, and yet, every year without fail, she gets the free TT link on her main page. I can meet these qualifiers as a Premium Service member and have never had the free link, only the $20 off. Go figure. So, we always download it from her page.

I called Fidelity once and asked why and they couldn't figure out what the problem was.

I should also mention that anything that comes through the US mail is always addressed to her too!

And to think I always told her she was lucky to have me :oops:

ryman554

Post by ryman554 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:07 pm

So where the heck is this thing? I "log in" and see my account summary (that cusomizablle widget thingy) with no fidelity thing at all..

Is that were you guys were seeing the offer, or was it somewheree else on some home page?

What "button" should I press to get to the page with the offer?

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:18 pm

- being an active trader

I don't understanding the distinction between #2 and #3?

gobigorgohome

Post by gobigorgohome » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:41 pm

2beachcombers wrote:I purchase TT desktop every year, send receipt to Fido and they refund--simple

jerry

Jerry,

How does one go about this or phrase it to the fine folks at Fidelity? I bought TT premier which is of course non returnable to amazon. I now see the link to get it free when I log into FIDO.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:43 am

ryman554 wrote:

So where the heck is this thing? I "log in" and see my account summary (that cusomizablle widget thingy) with no fidelity thing at all..

Is that were you guys were seeing the offer, or was it somewheree else on some home page?

What "button" should I press to get to the page with the offer?

Call your Private Access rep for assistance.

J295

Post by J295 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:45 am

we purchase TT online and then email our contact at Fido the receipt and they credit our account.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:23 am

gobigorgohome wrote:
2beachcombers wrote:I purchase TT desktop every year, send receipt to Fido and they refund--simple

jerry

Jerry,

How does one go about this or phrase it to the fine folks at Fidelity? I bought TT premier which is of course non returnable to amazon. I now see the link to get it free when I log into FIDO.

I'd like to know the answer to that too...

Just sent my rep at Fidelity an e-mail with a link to this thread asking what he knows about the reimbursement policy (only interested in desktop version). After all I am in their client private client group. Will circle back and post what I find out.

MisterBill

Turbo Tax Premier 2016 Free @ Fidelity (Premium Services customers, maybe not all)

Post by MisterBill » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:51 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below (next page). --admin LadyGeek]

I logged into my Fidelity account and there was a link on the main account page to Get TurboTax® Online Premier free. The link took me to the Intuit website,where I was able to purchase a downloadable version in either PC or Mac (I could have used the online version as well). This appears to be for Premium Services members, but based on last year's thread https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180677 and personal experience it appears that not everyone gets the offer, some may just get a small discount. I do have significantly more at Fidelity than I did last year when I did not get the offer, so it may be based on total assets and not simply being a Premium Services client.

If you need the Home & Business version, you're out of luck, it was not free or even discounted.

duckcalldan

Re: Turbo Tax Premier 2016 Free @ Fidelity (Premium Services customers, maybe not all)

Post by duckcalldan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:04 pm

Premium Services client here, $500K, no free TT offer. I called PS and they said it's only for active traders, which I don't believe is correct. I emailed my Fidelity contact last week and he did not have word of this year's offer yet. I will be adding assets early next year so I assume he will either make me eligible for free TT or I'll get reimbursed.