Car purchase- email negotiations for CPO cars?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
xrvision

Car purchase- email negotiations for CPO cars?

Post by xrvision »

Anyone have much luck with doing car purchase negotiations over email for a USED car? We know exactly which car we want, and there are a handful at a couple of dealerships in our area, all with similar mileage. Do you just negotiate and say that it's contingent upon the test drive when you arrive to purchase?
Dilbydog

Re: Car purchase- email negotiations for CPO cars?

Post by Dilbydog »

That's exactly what I've done. I specifically ask for a long test drive, i.e. 2+hours. This gives me enough time to look past the excitement and find things that may ultimately influence my decision to buy that particular vehicle. I've walked away from a CPO after a long drive. Steering didn't feel right, and there was noticeable uneven wear on the front tires, but it wasn't something I noticed until an hour or so into the drive.
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

We negotiated a cpo car through email, settled on a price contingent on inspection, and bought it w/o really doing a test drive. It was a lease return at the dealership, had a yr remaining on the bumper to bumper initial warranty and then an additional yr of cpo warranty, so we were fairly confident. We also bought an extended warranty to 7 yr or 100k miles. It has worked out well. I think many cpo cars come with at least one year bumper to bumper warranty, in addition to any remaining warranty. At least that was with Acuras at the time.
NCPE

Post by NCPE »

Definitely recommend the email route.

We have purchased 2 "certified pre-owned" (a Lexus and a Honda) with great results. The last one we bought was purchased with out a test drive (we looked at it on the weekend when we could check it out with out being pressured by the lot salesmen). Total time spent at the dealer was maybe 30 minutes to complete the paperwork. Both vehicles purchased had less than 30,000 miles on them and were purchased at 60%-70% of new (current model year) price and came with the manufacturer's extended warranty for 7 yr / 100k miles.

Some pointers -

During your internet research check the maintenance records (Carfax, dealer records, etc). Both vehicles we purchased had an excellent maintenance histories, but several of the cars I researched had minimal maintenance history. (The history showed they were sold to an individual and then reappeared 2-3 years later for sale with 20,000 - 30,000 miles on them and no documentation of oil changes, etc.)

Once you narrow your selections contact the dealer(s) and let them know you are ready to purchase a vehicle, the time frame you are looking to buy, etc, etc, to let them know you are serious and are looking for the best price. All the dealers around me in a 100 mile radius were within $500 of each other for a comparable vehicle but we went with the local dealer after they threw in 2 years of free oil changes.

Beware of the hard sell from the Finance and Insurance person at the Dealer as they will try to push extra extended warranties, service contracts, credit insurance, tire insurance, paint protectors, etc, etc).

Good Luck !!!

NCPE
Last edited by NCPE on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha »

NCPE wrote:
During your internet research check the maintenance records (Carfax, etc). Both vehicles we purchased had an excellent maintenance histories, but several of the cars I researched had minimal maintenance history. (The history showed they were sold to an individual and then reappeared 2-3 years later for sale with 20,000 - 30,000 miles on them and no documentation of oil changes, etc.)

NCPE
This has been a frustrating aspect of it for me, since not all shops report to Carfax. My wife's 10-year old Civic comes up completely blank on a Carfax search, even though all of the maintenance has been done at a Honda dealer and a name-brand auto care center. It just happens that our local Honda dealer (the car was a CPO from that dealer) doesn't use Carfax, and neither does the other service center.

So no history doesn't necessarily mean no maintenance.
NCPE

Post by NCPE »

SixAlpha -

Point well taken on the online maintenance records.

I am just leery of a relatively "new" car under warranty with no history or paperwork on oil changes, etc. On the other hand as soon as I purchase a vehicle it tends to "disappear" from the Carfax online tracking other than for the annual required state inspections. We tend to drive our vehicles until the wheels fail off and I do just about all of my own maintenance and repairs but do keep copies of all parts receipts and a detailed log with all service information since my memory is not as good as it once was. :(

NCPE
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I had good luck doing it with phone tag. I searched online, came up with a vehicle or two, e-mailed, gave my phone number. Got calls. I went in and took a test drive. I said, "This is why I don't like this car, so I'll keep looking, but if you want to give me a great price on this one I'll pay cash." A couple of phone messages over the next few days and I bought the car.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
xrvision

Post by xrvision »

Thanks for the helpful responses.

A bit more detail- there are 5 identical cars with near identical mileage in our area, all at only 2 different dealerships. We tried to purchase our last car (new) via email last year, and surprisingly, no dealerships in the area would really discuss pricing over email. This is making us a bit hesitant to go the email route. Not sure if we should email both dealerships now, try to do email/phone tag (as worked for livesoft), or just suck it up and ruin the weekend by spending a day at the dealership. I guess it boils down to this- if there are only 2 dealerships in play, is there any downside to emailing them both now?
orca91

Post by orca91 »

I don't see any downside to emailing around now.

The worst they can say is, no. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of negotiating to happen. Most of the online sales/ads have the online price already attached. They may not be willing to go much lower than that. Especially on a CPO car. Worth a try though. Email each dealer about all the cars you're interested in and ask for the best out the door price on each. Buy the one you get the best price on for a car you like, and call it good.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Cast a wider net and look at places up to 500 miles away.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

xrvision wrote:Thanks for the helpful responses.

A bit more detail- there are 5 identical cars with near identical mileage in our area, all at only 2 different dealerships. We tried to purchase our last car (new) via email last year, and surprisingly, no dealerships in the area would really discuss pricing over email. This is making us a bit hesitant to go the email route. Not sure if we should email both dealerships now, try to do email/phone tag (as worked for livesoft), or just suck it up and ruin the weekend by spending a day at the dealership. I guess it boils down to this- if there are only 2 dealerships in play, is there any downside to emailing them both now?
Setup an appointment with the internet guy if they have one. Go in and drive the car. Get the salesman card. Email 24 hours later and ask for the best price. Random emails tend to get ignored as often they are not real buyers. It helps to have a decent idea of how good the price is. Use edmunds/kbb/... to get a rough idea and then see what you can do.
Topic Author
xrvision

Post by xrvision »

Update- the dealerships wouldn't budge on the price of the cpo cars. (We were specifically interested in a 2016 model as it had features that the older cars didn't). However, we ended up purchasing a new 2017 model for almost the identical price of the cpo cars in our area. Did all negotiations over email/phone, spent 2 hours in dealership test driving/signing paperwork, then went out to a nice lunch.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

xrvision wrote:Anyone have much luck with doing car purchase negotiations over email for a USED car? We know exactly which car we want, and there are a handful at a couple of dealerships in our area, all with similar mileage. Do you just negotiate and say that it's contingent upon the test drive when you arrive to purchase?
Maybe it's just the dealers where I live, but I've never been able to get any significant reduction in price on a used car until I physically went to the dealership and engaged in the whole "let me run this by my manager" game.