Should I change the job?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
bogddinu

Should I change the job?

Post by bogddinu » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:03 am

Hello, I have a dilemma and maybe the more seasoned employees could give me an advice. I work in IT consultancy having in total 3 years of experience. However only 1.5 years at the current employer.

The problem is that although this year, besides delivering everything well ahead deadlines, I have also done extra work for the project I am involved in + for the company in general. I have even received a prize as the best knowledge sharer in the company global wide by writing multiple articles, doing presentations, helping teams from other countries etc. I will also be nominated for the best innovation idea prize at the end of this year.
However, during the year review, done with my direct project manager, everything went wrong. In short he told me that he doesn’t really want to give me a better grade than the one that almost everyone receives. I will found out at the end of the year what he decided but I do not have high hopes for a good news.

Should I leave the company as it does not motivate engaged employees? Or am I really that typical millennial person with no patience? The problem is that after the year review with my manager I have no more mood of doing my best for the company and I find hard to control this emotion… Also, in about 10 years I would like to retire early and if I do not get nice raises in my first years it could even go from 10 years to 13 or even 15.

Thank you.

cheese_breath

Re: Should I change the job?

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:05 am

You don't have to make the decision today. Check out the job market to get an idea of your options with other potential employers first.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:21 am

In my experience, bosses/companies like that rarely change. So if you are upset that you got/will get a small raise this time, you probably won't be thrilled with the future especially if the monetary aspect is important to you.

Also in my experience, my largest pay bumps were always changing companies. Many times, my pay bump for changing a company was larger than all my previous years of incremental pay raises. However you have to balance that with changing jobs too many times and becoming thought of as someone who never stays in place very long and thus isn't attractive to being hired.

At the end of the day, I always recommend finding a job where you are happy and not be so concerned with what you are being paid. The money always seems to find a way too you but happiness at a job is sometimes much harder to find.

Novine

Post by Novine » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:27 am

"Should I leave the company as it does not motivate engaged employees? Or am I really that typical millennial person with no patience? "

If the company or manager doesn't value your work, start looking for one that will. The stereotype of the "millennial person with no patience" is about the employees who think that showing up for work should be rewarded with a promotion and a raise. That doesn't sound like your situation.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:34 am

You should start looking around. You need to jump jobs to get solid raises, anyways.

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:00 am

I disagree with the others who say that you should change jobs based on your employer's performance review process. I work for a MegaCorp and these rankings typically have a very specific rubric for an employee to earn exceeded level, above level, at level, below level (or whatever term your employer uses) and typically a manager can only give "exceeded" and "above" to a certain percentage of his/her direct reports. So usually newer employees are ranked "at level" until they consistently provide they are performing "above level". So don't take the performance review ranking too personally.

Also consider that you could be doing all of these things you deem "extra" but your manager could consider them to be part of your primary job function. Another thing you don't mention is the quality of your day to day work. Delivering early is fine but delivering an excellent product early is even better. So ask yourself if the quality of your deliverables is "exceeding" your current job level and if the difficultly of those tasks is also "exceeding" your current job level. Better yet, when you meet with your manager at the end of the year, inquire about your performance and your deliverables and ask if there is anything you can improve on. You are early in your career so I suspect there are areas of your skill set still in need of professional development. Figure out what they are and work on them.

slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:35 am

At my MegaCorp, getting an A (outstanding) at the performance review is a big deal, with only a small percentage of the population getting it at any one time. The managers have to be ready to explain to their managers and HR why this employee should get this rating. At the end of the day, it gets competitive if you're in a high performing group since only (almost) 10% can get that rating.
It is disheartening but the best you can do is keep trying!

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:55 pm

In which areas did you fall short of expectations for the top rating?
Did you ask "What does one have to accomplish in my position to get a top rating (or grade if that's what they call it where you are"?
If you strive to be a top performer in your organization you need to make it an ongoing discussion throughout the year. Ask if you are exceeding expectations throughout the year - and if not - what you need to do additionally to do so. You have a right to know how you are being measured and of being informed on which areas you are excelling and which you are falling short.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:08 pm

slbnoob wrote:At my MegaCorp, getting an A (outstanding) at the performance review is a big deal, with only a small percentage of the population getting it at any one time. The managers have to be ready to explain to their managers and HR why this employee should get this rating. At the end of the day, it gets competitive if you're in a high performing group since only (almost) 10% can get that rating.

This is 1980's management thinking. I used to work for a company that literally used to force me to use a bell-curve to rate my employees - I had to have a certain number low - most in the middle - and only a handful high. I used to actually negotiate with other peer managers and the VP above me to swap out some of the slackers in other organizations to lower ratings so I could give deserving folks on my team the ratings they deserved - it was a nightmare.
The new (and correct) thinking is that every employee should be rated based upon his/her OWN individual achievements. If I happened to have built and managed an excellent team of mostly A players I shouldn't have to punish most on my team just because the majority of the team is awesome. (On the flip side - if I have a bunch of sub-par employees I inherited I shouldn't be forced to give a certain number of excellent ratings).
If you are being told "You should have gotten an A but I could only give out x percentage" you are working for a backwards thinking company and it is time to move on to a better company.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:10 pm

OP,

A) You think that you are doing an excellent job. But, is that true? How much of what you did really matters to people with power at your organization?

B) What does the boss of your manager think about you?

C) Who really matters in your organization?

D) Who decides who get the pay raise and promotion in your organization?

E) Who and which department get the most budget in your organization?

F) How does what you did extra contributes to the top line (revenue) and bottom line (profit) of your organization?

http://www.betterworldbooks.com/How-to- ... 31693.aspx

G) I highly recommend the above book for you.

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:14 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
If you are being told "You should have gotten an A but I could only give out x percentage" you are working for a backwards thinking company and it is time to move on to a better company.

DaftInvestor,

Not necessary. It might be a backward thinking manager. Or, OP is not valuable enough to the manager's career for him / her to go the extra mile. OP might be doing a lot of great thing for the company. But, those extra works does not benefit the manager and / or the deparment.

KlangFool

Morik

Post by Morik » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:24 pm

At my megacorp managers can give whatever rating they feel the employee deserves, and don't have to limit it to a certain %.
That said, they do also calibrate those ratings against other managers to ensure that the manager's assessment is a good one.

I would talk to my manager and ask them if you are performing better than the other employees in your peer group.
If they say no, explore that with them and try to get a sense of where they think you are deficient. (Given that you think you are out-performing your peers, it may be that you are strong in a few areas and outperform there but are weak in others and under-perform in those.)

If they say yes, ask why they are giving you a rating similar to your peer group, if they feel that you outperformed them. Does the company not care about rewarding high-performance employees? If they don't care about doing so, I would start looking for a company that does.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:28 pm

KlangFool wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:

DaftInvestor,

Not necessary. It might be a backward thinking manager. Or, OP is not valuable enough to the manager's career for him / her to go the extra mile. OP might be doing a lot of great thing for the company. But, those extra works does not benefit the manager and / or the deparment.

KlangFool

Good point Klang. It may not be a backward thinking company but rather a poor manager. Many managers will try to use their companies as scape-goats because they are afraid to be honest and transparent to their employees - they don't want to hurt morale or hurt feelings. You should have continual frank discussions with your manager throughout the year and if he isn't being fully transparent about how you are doing you have an issue. In many cases there are definitely employees who think they are A players but are actually B players - a manger who doesn't tell him such and what he needs to do to become an A isn't doing ANYONE any favors. In some cases people are simply in the wrong jobs where they will never be a A player - they might be better served by moving to a slightly different position. Personally - I've never been afraid of telling people where they need to improve - if they don't like my feedback and quit it works out for everyone - they might find a different job where they can do better (or perhaps where they have a manager that doesn't give them candid feedback and they never improve but end up feeling better) and I might find an A player on the street that I can use to replace the B player that just left.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:55 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
slbnoob wrote:At my MegaCorp, getting an A (outstanding) at the performance review is a big deal, with only a small percentage of the population getting it at any one time. The managers have to be ready to explain to their managers and HR why this employee should get this rating. At the end of the day, it gets competitive if you're in a high performing group since only (almost) 10% can get that rating.

This is 1980's management thinking. I used to work for a company that literally used to force me to use a bell-curve to rate my employees - I had to have a certain number low - most in the middle - and only a handful high. I used to actually negotiate with other peer managers and the VP above me to swap out some of the slackers in other organizations to lower ratings so I could give deserving folks on my team the ratings they deserved - it was a nightmare.

Yeah. My megacorp does this. There are 5 ratings and there are actually percentage of employee population limits on some of them.
5 - Almost nobody gets this. Highest achievers doing amazing work. Max 3% of employees. You'll be on the promotion fast-track.
4- "Above expectations" Extra pat on the back and maybe another percent on your raise.
3-"Meets expectations" Probably 85% of people get this. 1.5-3.5 % raise depending on where you are in your salary band.
2 "Below expectations" You're going on a performance improvement plan. No raise unless you are at the dead bottom of the salary band and it gets bumped up for cost of living.
1 "You're fired."

Each department is given a set pot of money for raises and has to divvy them up among everybody. "Meets expectations" people get crappier raises if there are a few "Above expectations" or God forbid a #5.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:04 pm

OP,

Please note that some managers are useless in term of pay raise and promotion. They just do not have the money and power to do anything for you. So, they may be nice people. But, they can do nothing for you.

KlangFool

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:25 pm

lthenderson wrote:...At the end of the day, I always recommend finding a job where you are happy ....

slbnoob wrote:.... At the end of the day, it gets competitive if you're in a high performing group...

Do you both mean "in the evening, when the sun goes down?" I suspect the time of day wouldn't make a difference.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren at Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

nova1968

Post by nova1968 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:33 pm

I believe the decision should be based on how well you relate to the organizational culture. I have known people who have been terminated from jobs and went somewhere else and thrived, Since you work in high tech there should be sufficient opportunities. Some people like to play it safe and stay put, others leave and realize the grass isn't greener on the other side, while others leave do exceptionally well else where.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:44 pm

samsoes wrote:
lthenderson wrote:...At the end of the day, I always recommend finding a job where you are happy ....

slbnoob wrote:.... At the end of the day, it gets competitive if you're in a high performing group...

Do you both mean "in the evening, when the sun goes down?" I suspect the time of day wouldn't make a difference.

It would if you're a cat burgler.

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:54 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:In which areas did you fall short of expectations for the top rating?
Did you ask "What does one have to accomplish in my position to get a top rating (or grade if that's what they call it where you are"?
If you strive to be a top performer in your organization you need to make it an ongoing discussion throughout the year. Ask if you are exceeding expectations throughout the year - and if not - what you need to do additionally to do so. You have a right to know how you are being measured and of being informed on which areas you are excelling and which you are falling short.

This.
bogddinu wrote:Or am I really that typical millennial person with no patience? The problem is that after the year review with my manager I have no more mood of doing my best for the company and I find hard to control this emotion…

Yes, you sound like an over-sensitive millennial.

bogddinu

Post by bogddinu » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:36 pm

Thank you all for the nice feedback, you are a great community here!

Indeed within the company I work for I understood that there is such a bell-curve used to rate us. During the year review with my manager he told me that if I get a better rating then someone else should get a low one. Sounded very weird thou. I thought he wanted me to feel bad that my rating could hurt another colleague.

Anyhow, I will consolidate your advice and I will try to take the right actions.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:45 pm

bogddinu wrote:.... During the year review with my manager he told me that if I get a better rating then someone else should get a low one. Sounded very weird thou. I thought he wanted me to feel bad that my rating could hurt another colleague....

That makes about as much sense as this... (BTW, this isn't your boss is it?)

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:21 pm

bogddinu wrote:Thank you all for the nice feedback, you are a great community here!

Indeed within the company I work for I understood that there is such a bell-curve used to rate us. During the year review with my manager he told me that if I get a better rating then someone else should get a low one. Sounded very weird thou. I thought he wanted me to feel bad that my rating could hurt another colleague.

Anyhow, I will consolidate your advice and I will try to take the right actions.

Maybe. Or maybe he was just laying out the reality of the system managers have to work with. I have been in that boat where lifting one person hurt someone else in the following sense: everyone was ranked 1 to n. Say you had 10 people. You were number 3. If I moved you to number 2 the old number 2 would now be 3. Wow, what is wrong with that person someone up the chain might ask? Why are they slacking off? If you are only allowed one super-dooper employee and I want to move you from super to super-dooper - I have to move the old super-dooper down to make room.

This system is becoming less common.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:38 pm

My company uses a 5 rating scale. From your description, you got a '3' rating. A 3 rating means that you achieved your standards consistently across all objectives. I never consider working OT as part of the rating because it is easy to work extra. For example, I lead a team of network engineers. It is expected that they will work occasional oncall, after hours and even weekend for planned maintenance. I don't give a better rating simply because someone volunteered to work weekends. For someone to get a 4 rating, they must go above and beyond in every objective consistently throughout the quarter or year.

From reading the OP, it seems you did do some positive work which merits a 4 rating such as the awards but everything else such as delivering ahead of deadlines, helping teams from other countries, writing articles and presentations are all part of your job duties.

My advise for you is to ask your manager make clear what are the deliverables and what does it take to get the rating you feel you deserve. A smart manager will have things that are and aren't quantifiable. Then keep track during your 1:1 time. Then when review time comes and you meet the deliverables, he must give you that rating.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.