Retire early and sail off into the sunset?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
TheClash

Retire early and sail off into the sunset?

Post by TheClash »

Turning 54 in the next few months. Have accumulated about $5mm. Mostly in taxable accounts. Single, no kids. Considering buying a sailboat and traveling the world. Spend ~$350k on the boat. How feasible is it to retire early and do this?
Ged

Re: Retire early and sail off into the sunset?

Post by Ged »

Post by 123 »

Do you know how to sail or will you have to hire a sailor/crew?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

I once knew a colleague who had sailed around the world three times. Do it.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

almost !00% chance of success if you can live on $150k/yr based on historical market returns. I would give you 100% if you are willing to cut spending a little when markets are down.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

markbco wrote:Turning 54 in the next few months. Have accumulated about $5mm. Mostly in taxable accounts. Single, no kids. Considering buying a sailboat and traveling the world. Spend ~$350k on the boat. How feasible is it to retire early and do this?
You've provided almost no information so the answer varies from "was feasible 10 years ago" to "not remotely feasible, keep working", depending on your expected expenses.
Topic Author
TheClash

Post by TheClash »

EnjoyIt wrote:almost !00% chance of success if you can live on $150k/yr based on historical market returns. I would give you 100% if you are willing to cut spending a little when markets are down.
I think I could by living on the boat. A 40-footer it costs about $2k/month to dock and have electric/running water. I've read articles where people do it on $20k/year all in (food, etc.). That seems ridiculously low.
PhysicianOnFIRE

Post by PhysicianOnFIRE »

Have you sailed before?

Can you keep your expenses under $150,000 to $200,000?

If yes, you should be good to go. If no, you should do some sailing first and / or cut your expenses. I'm guessing you're good to go.

Best,
-PoF
surfhb

Post by surfhb »

markbco wrote:Turning 54 in the next few months. Have accumulated about $5mm. Mostly in taxable accounts. Single, no kids. Considering buying a sailboat and traveling the world. Spend ~$350k on the boat. How feasible is it to retire early and do this?
LOL
Toons

Post by Toons »

Enjoy.
Live Your Dream.
Life is Fleeting.
You don't want to look back 30 years from now,,if you are here,,,and regret not doing what you wanted to do.
Sail On.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Teague

Post by Teague »

Like others have alluded to, there are two separate issues, and we really don't have enough information to opine on either. There's the financial issue, and there's the sailing issue.

I'll let others better than I address the financial issue.

Re. the sailing issue - your experience might be anything from "I've never been on a boat, but I read about a couple that did this and it sounded like fun" to "Right after winning last year's TransPac, just for fun I single-handed around The Horn, backwards, in a slightly modified bathtub." How's your sailing expertise?
Semper Augustus
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

markbco:

I have considerable sailing experience including a transatlantic in a 40' sloop. At the very least, you need to spend considerable time sailing before spending $350K on a boat for the purpose of a world circumnavigation. Hopefully, you already have sailing experience.

A very good friend of mine had a 60' boat built in Finland for a world circumnavigation. We sailed together with our wives for three months in Europe and everyone had a wonderful time. However, he and his wife decided a world cruise was not for them and they sold the boat for a loss.

My son set-off on a world cruise on a 39' sailboat. While anchored in the Bahamas, a small freighter accidently hit them while they were anchored and severely damaged the boat. That ended their attempt. Later, the boat ran aground in the Pacific which ended a second attempt.

Sailing publications tend to glamorize sailing. Talk with experienced sailors, learn sailing skills and take a long voyage before committing yourself to this great endeavor that requires considerable skill.

This recent news report should give any world sailor pause:

German Sailor Abducted, Another Killed, in Philippines

I'm scheduled for a sailboat race in the morning. Come to Miami and join me.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
TheClash

Post by TheClash »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
markbco:

I have considerable sailing experience including a transatlantic in a 40' sloop. At the very least, you need to spend considerable time sailing before spending $350K on a boat for the purpose of a world circumnavigation.

A very good friend of mine had a 60' boat built in Finland for a world circumnavigation. We sailed together with our wives for three months in Europe and everyone had a wonderful time. However, he and his wife decided a world cruise was not for them and they sold the boat for a loss.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Taylor.

Totally agree. The question is more financial on this forum. In fact, I would not rush out and buy anything. Step 1 would be more sailing experience for a few years and education on boat maintenance. I'd actually do a starter boat first, before buying something to really cruise or go blue water. Yes, the dangers of certain aspects and areas give me pause. But I'm fairly prudent, and don't want to live my life in fear.

Thanks!
Mark
Topic Author
TheClash

Post by TheClash »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
markbco:

I have considerable sailing experience including a transatlantic in a 40' sloop. At the very least, you need to spend considerable time sailing before spending $350K on a boat for the purpose of a world circumnavigation. Hopefully, you already have sailing experience.

My son set-off on a world cruise on a 39' sailboat. While anchored in the Bahamas, a small freighter accidently hit them while they were anchored and severely damaged the boat. That ended their attempt. Later, the boat ran aground in the Pacific which ended a second attempt.

Sailing publications tend to glamorize sailing. Talk with experienced sailors, learn sailing skills and take a long voyage before committing yourself to this great endeavor that requires considerable skill.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Oh, you may be hearing from me. South Florida will be where I'll prep. Thanks!
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

Based on Taylor's article, the kidnappers released one pair of sailors for $5.1 million. Based on this information, you'll need to save a little bit more to afford both the boat and your own ransom :twisted:
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I highly recommend reading "Sailing Alone Around the World", by Joshua Slocum. First person to have sailed around the world by himself, in 1895, an experienced merchant captain in a 37 foot sailboat. Pay attention to the parts about pirates. They are still out there, do your research.

If I were doing it, that is the only thing I would worry about. Weather forecasting, mapping/navigation, and life saving measures have greatly advanced in the intervening years, as have the options for entertainment while at sea.

I sailed around Lake Erie as a child. (Though not alone.)
The discovery of America, and that of a passage to the East Indies by the Cape of Good Hope, are the two greatest and most important events recorded in the history of mankind. -- Adam Smith, 1776
stvyreb

Post by stvyreb »

happiest day in your life is the day you buy the boat, and the day you get rid of it !
Watty

Post by Watty »

Financially it is doable but you need to keep in mind that many people like athletes, actors, and lottery winners have quickly gone through much much larger amounts than you have so you will need to be careful. There are several variations on the saying, "You can afford to do anything you want, but not everything you want."

I don't know anything about sailing but I do know a guy that rowed a boat from Washington state to Hawaii all by himself back in the 1970s before most of the modern communications and navigation equipment existed. I've lost touch with him but if you do sail around the world there is at least one person crazier than you.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... ug=2998145

I have heard him give his talk about his adventure and one of the things that he ran into was that he tried rowing to Hawaii with a partner several times and problems with his partners caused several failures so he decided to just do it solo since he would not have to deal with a partner. It would be good to pay particular attention to who you select to travel with you since in addition to getting on each others nerves you could be in a bind if they decide to(or need to) leave when you are in some remote location.

One other tip, if you take canned food then be sure to label them with a magic marker. :D When his canned food got wet the labels came off so he was never sure what his next meal would be until he opened the can.
Taylor Larimore wrote:My son set-off on a world cruise on a 39' sailboat. While anchored in the Bahamas, a small freighter accidentally hit them while they were anchored and severely damaged the boat.
A freighter hit my friends boat too! Be careful.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

I think you can retire.

But before you attempt to sail around the world, make sure you become an adept sailor. I know of someone whose boat capsized in the middle of a storm, while attempting to sail around the world. They were extremely lucky they were rescued and didn't die.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
btenny

Post by btenny »

I am sure you have enough money. Go for it but train first and buy a used boat first to avoid the big first owner deprecation. Maybe even rent for a while if you can find the right boat. And be aware that being single and going on long sailing excursion has lots of issues. See below.

I have a couple of good friends who bought and lived on a boat for 4 years. They learned to sail and trained on a 35 foot boat in Santa Cruz by sailing across the bay and down to Catalina and so forth for 2 years. They then sold the house and bought a 52 foot boat in the south of France on the Mediterranean. Then they sailed around the Med for 2 years and had a ball. But they still hired a captain to help them sail across the Atlantic. They say that 3 people is still marginal for crossing the Atlantic due to watch duties. They also said it was boring and strange being that far out at sea. They said it causes strange mind issues due to the small boat size and nothing in sight for days. So beware before you buy.

Good Luck.
Topic Author
TheClash

Post by TheClash »

btenny wrote:I am sure you have enough money. Go for it but train first and buy a used boat first to avoid the big first owner deprecation. Maybe even rent for a while if you can find the right boat. And be aware that being single and going on long sailing excursion has lots of issues. See below.

I have a couple of good friends who bought and lived on a boat for 4 years. They learned to sail and trained on a 35 foot boat in Santa Cruz by sailing across the bay and down to Catalina and so forth for 2 years. They then sold the house and bought a 52 foot boat in the south of France on the Mediterranean. Then they sailed around the Med for 2 years and had a ball. But they still hired a captain to help them sail across the Atlantic. They say that 3 people is still marginal for crossing the Atlantic due to watch duties. They also said it was boring and strange being that far out at sea. They said it causes strange mind issues due to the small boat size and nothing in sight for days. So beware before you buy.

Good Luck.
Great information. Thank you! Like your friends I would do coastal cruising for the first few years and do the starter boat too. As far as ocean crossings go, I'll have to see how I feel. There is the option to ship it (expensive) or hire a captain and crew as your friends did. But ocean crossing is a big TBD. Deal with that later. For now North and South America will keep me busy. I would also definitely do a used boat. And spend some $s getting it how I want it.

I looked at an immediate annuity. If I put in $4mm I could get $148k a year (pre-tax) and a 2% annual increase. Approximately $9k/month after taxes. (Assuming I did the math right.) I think I could live on that. I probably spend more than that now, but I currently live in Manhattan. I'll have to look into health insurance and such.
Watty

Post by Watty »

markbco wrote:I looked at an immediate annuity. If I put in $4mm I could get $148k a year (pre-tax) and a 2% annual increase. Approximately $9k/month after taxes. (Assuming I did the math right.) I think I could live on that. I probably spend more than that now, but I currently live in Manhattan. I'll have to look into health insurance and such.
That would have lots of inflation risk since there is a good chance that inflation will be higher than 2% sometime in your lifetime.

Immediate annuities often have a valid place in retirement plans but you are still very young to be buying one. When they do make sense people will often buy a series of them at different ages. Diversification is very important.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

markbco wrote:Turning 54 in the next few months. Single, no kids. Considering buying a sailboat and traveling the world. Spend ~$350k on the boat. How feasible is it to retire early and do this?
How is your knee cartilage doing? I mention this because we had plenty of fun sailing/racing in our 20-30 something years. Revisiting that again at age 60-something, I found my knee's responses to climbing around a moving sailboat really spoils that fun. Too much lateral loading on the knees. It's clearly not going to be a feasible retirement pastime for me.

You will get that answered on your starter boat sailing in an area with some brisk winds, or just crewing.
JW
Retired at Last
Johnnie

Post by Johnnie »

Teague wrote:Like others have alluded to, there are two separate issues, and we really don't have enough information to opine on either. There's the financial issue, and there's the sailing issue.

I'll let others better than I address the financial issue.

Re. the sailing issue - your experience might be anything from "I've never been on a boat, but I read about a couple that did this and it sounded like fun" to "Right after winning last year's TransPac, just for fun I single-handed around The Horn, backwards, in a slightly modified bathtub." How's your sailing expertise?
There's a third issue: Will you really be happier after cutting yourself off from your former career and income at a comparatively young age?

Related, $5 million is pretty good, but you are looking at a 35 year+ retirement, which is a lot of years for something to go catty-wompus in the world or your personal situation.

As the retirement horizon draws closer for moi what strikes me more and more is that other factor in the equation: How many years does the money have to last? Every additional year I work represents not only additional savings and portfolio growth opportunities, but knocks a year off the period my savings need to last. Of course I find stimulation in my work too, so am lucky that way.
Last edited by Johnnie on Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know nothing."
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

Plug your numbers into http://www.cfiresim.com/ for an idea on how much you can spend a year (mostly fixing the sailboat). Bon voyage.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 »

Sounds like you are pretty adventurous, Watch out for Pirates
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

btenny wrote:.....
They say that 3 people is still marginal for crossing the Atlantic due to watch duties. They also said it was boring and strange being that far out at sea. They said it causes strange mind issues due to the small boat size and nothing in sight for days. So beware before you buy.

Good Luck.
1. This is one of the things that first came to my mind: What do you think about when spending day after day on the water, with no land in sight? I have thought about long distance bike riding (ride across the US). The mental aspect (boredom) seems to be a formidable obstacle.

2. (this part is a little morbid) What happens if you are by yourself, the sailboat is on autopilot, and you happen to fall off? Is there a (purdent) 2 man rule when on a sailboat for safety (2 people awake & on deck in case of emergency at all times)?
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

JoinToday wrote:The mental aspect (boredom) seems to be a formidable obstacle.

2. (this part is a little morbid) What happens if you are by yourself, the sailboat is on autopilot, and you happen to fall off? Is there a (purdent) 2 man rule when on a sailboat for safety (2 people awake & on deck in case of emergency at all times)?
Lots of possible what-if scenarios. What if you are by yourself in the middle of the ocean and you pop your appendix?

My "sail around the world" plan is on a cruise ship. I willl admit that the OP's plan sounds tempting.
J295

Post by J295 »

OP..... Exciting time in your life. Dig in and enjoy.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Be sure to watch the movie, "All Is Lost" before buying the boat.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
2comma

Post by 2comma »

I've had that same dream, for a long time. I grew up sailing and my wife and I still charter sailboats in the Caribbean, the PNW and Greece (but we've never crossed an ocean or sailed overnight). I'd recommend you find and read as many stories and blogs on what others have done and try to find the real story beyond the dream. There are all kinds of ways people retire on boats (living on a dock, doing the great circle, the Bahamas or Caribbean for 6 months out of the year, crossing oceans or circumnavigating. I've read quite a few stories where they knew way less than me when they started but gradually they learned more than me about boat improvements, anchoring, navigation, weather, sails and rigging, communications and international travel. If you are going to solo it's going to be harder on you than on a couple or larger crew - you'll have to rely on your electronics to keep you safe because you'll have to sleep. Funny thing is for those with experience, they seem to get more comfortable with longer distances. It's not for everyone and there is a steep learning curve but many people have managed to turn it into an adventure of a lifetime. If you think this is for you keep persuing your dream.
If I am stupid I will pay.
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

I love it when people blithely assume you can plan to spend up to 4% of your capital a year, without considering that it's possible if not likely that you will live 40+ years - because it is somehow guaranteed by recent history and we know you will fearlessly rebalance every year no matter if the market drops 50% or more.
As for sailing around the world, go for it if you know what you are doing, just don't spend $200K a year doing it.
StealthRabbit

Post by StealthRabbit »

markbco wrote:...
Great information. Thank you! Like your friends I would do coastal cruising for the first few years and do the starter boat too. As far as ocean crossings go, I'll have to see how I feel. There is the option to ship it (expensive) or hire a captain and crew as your friends did. But ocean crossing is a big TBD. Deal with that later. For now North and South America will keep me busy. I would also definitely do a used boat. And spend some $s getting it how I want it.

Go for it, sooner than later (I was out by age 49, (on single hourly income / no pension) but with (ill) spouse and no HC +/-)
Consider ways to adventure and not be TIED to a boat ($$$ anchor), or as you mention... less expensive used boats (but not TOO USED!) Even better to join crew and USE someone else's boat. # friends have done this (Solo ~ age 50 - many yrs wandering around at sea) +/-, but a BIG responsibility.

We do a lot of traveling (as in ALL last yr, RTW). Set out with a one way ticket to OZ (from Left Coast USA). Arrived back from Ireland a couple months ago. <$40k for 2. food, travel, housing, transport. ONE person is SO much easier!!!! but not 1/2 price, but close! Especially since you can make the right call for the cash at hand, whereas a couple, or 2+, you CANNOT make the call strictly on $$$ alone.

Lived in Canadian Gulf Islands for a season, brought our small sailboat, and stayed at a camp cabin (off-season), boat mooring was free, as was the use of 5 types of craft that were just sitting around off-season. Once you get to know locals there is plenty of ways to make crew / join crew.

There are many very CHEAP boats in great sailing regions. Consider buying and selling a few times, and different boats are better for certain regions anyway. (a Battleship is pretty handy in Gulf of Oman...) NZ and AUST had very VERY cheap sail boats and a low exchange rate, and plenty of nice areas to explore nearby.

It is always good to STAY somewhere that is a favorable 'hub' for a month or two

Reconsider that Annuity, as mentioned you are pretty young to lock an annuity, odds are on the 'Annuities' side!
You have a huge chunk of change, keep it WORKING for you, with minimal necessary cast into FIXED cash producing assets and ONLY for your essentials. Age 54 might bring you 50+ future yrs of 'unemployment' / non-wage status. Get some diversified cash flows and manage the diversity of your retirement INCOME stream (as you would normally be advised to manage the diversity of your HOLDINGS... your INCOME for many yrs ahead is more important than your holdings)
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

def: Circumnavigation. Doing boat repairs in exotic ports.

And, after you get pretty good at sailing, be a reasonably good mechanic and a jack of all trades.

Edit - Or you can shorten the time to achieve the level of knowledge you need by reducing the number of mechanical systems on the boat - refrigeration, air conditioning, electronics, engines, ...
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

For another viewpoint on sailing around the world and what it may or may not take to pull it off have a look at Bumfuzzle. I am not sure the blog of their adventure is still accessible as they reproduced it as a book, though.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

markbco wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:I'm scheduled for a sailboat race in the morning. Come to Miami and join me.
Best wishes.
Taylor
Oh, you may be hearing from me. South Florida will be where I'll prep. Thanks!
Markbco,
Give us a call when you come and we'll invite you to our South Florida Chapter Boglehead meeting 8-) I'm sure we'll enjoy your investing stories and your investment plan for your sailing adventure :happy Although actually, our own South Florida Dave Barry has cautioned that one should never go out on the open ocean in a wooden tub because you never know what is underneath you, and if you are so unfortunate as to do so, never look down because you don't want to know what is down there :shock:
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom" - Pillar 4: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained. Eschewing the risk of stocks, therefore, carries a risk of its own.
furwut

Post by furwut »

btenny

Post by btenny »

I know you said you wanted to sail away. But are you really set on sailing versus power boating? Have you ever owned a medium size or bigger boat of any kind? There are lots of tradeoffs in the type of boat you own and what you want to do with it. Have you written down the tradeoffs versus your plans? Below is my short list of tradeoffs. I suggest you make your own list of tradeoffs. And be aware that your needs will change over time and you might want to buy and use different boats over time. Good Luck

Sail Boats pros --------------vs ------------Power Boats pros
cheaper to buy ---------------------------------------faster
cheap to operate ---------------------------------- better cabins
quiet -------------------------------------------------- easy to single hand and operate
long distance cruisers ------------------------------- easier to maneuver
easier to maintain ----------------------------------- shallow keel

Sail boat cons ------- vs ---------------- Power Boat cons
hard to single hand ------------------------------ expensive to operate
hard to maneuver -------------------------------- use gas/diesel
slower ----------------------------------------- more expensive to buy
deep keels ---------------------------------------- noisy
tight cabins --------------------------------------- shorter cruising distances
need crew many times ---------------------------harder to maintain

And so you also know most of my sailor friends power around about 80% of the time using their engines. They find it easier and faster many times to power and leave the sails stowed. Plus they can drive the sail boat single handed this way. Also note that most sail boaters who cruise around long distances end up using the engine 10-20% of the time due to becalming or other issues. And also note that most times the sailors have to leave 1-2 hours early as they are so slow going anywhere. Likewise they have much more complicated sea adventures due to this slow speed interacting with tide changes and weather events. But they don't spend much $$ on gas and the quiet is nice.

Again Good Luck.
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

My former supervisor did just this. She was about 53 years old at the time in 2006. She is still at it with her husband. They have a website that allows you to follow their journey, including boat repairs and family milestones (births, etc.) I forgot the size of the boat they started out with, but they eventually bought a smaller boat. I believe the larger boat is still for sail. The smaller boat is now "grounded", sine it appears they have now bought a large RV and are traveling up to Alaska. PM me if you'd like the URL of the website.
Teague

Post by Teague »

I know you said you wanted to sail away. But are you really set on sailing versus power boating? ...
All very valid points. But if he's really going to "travel the world" like he said, it would take one helluva boat to carry enough fuel to cross an ocean.
Semper Augustus
btenny

Post by btenny »

Teague and others. Crossing the ocean is no big deal if you have the right power boat. There are lots of these boats around if you know what to look for and where. They are trawler style boats set up for some fishing but mostly for long range cruising. These types of boats are what I was talking about as good power boats. They are like the off shore fishing boats and crab boats you see in many marine harbors and on some TV shows like Deadliest Catch. See below for brands and styles and other links. Basically these boats carry 1000s of gallons of fuel and tons of supplies for crews of 3-6 or more depending on boat size. They are 35-80 feet or more. They have staterooms and big diesel engines and can cruise offshore for weeks and go for 3-5000 miles across the oceans.

Especially look at some of the Grand Banks boats. One of my friends owned one for 20 years and lived on it in LA harbor for the whole time. He is single and routinely went to Catalina and down to Mexico by himself. He had 700 gallons of fuel and twin diesels and all the off shore stuff on his 50 foot boat. It was a real yacht with amazing wood and big master cabin and a big main living room master saloon and so forth. He and I talked about cruising down the west coast from LA to Ecuador for a 3 month cruise when he retired but then the 2008 recession hit and he had to sell. But those boats are amazing.

http://www.powercruising.com/
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/deadl ... geon-cove/
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/deadl ... ing-facts/
http://sarasotayacht.com/co-brokerage-u ... id=2946238

Good Luck.
Teague

Post by Teague »

btenny wrote:Teague and others. Crossing the ocean is no big deal if you have the right power boat. There are lots of these boats around if you know what to look for and where. They are trawler style boats set up for some fishing but mostly for long range cruising. These types of boats are what I was talking about as good power boats. They are like the off shore fishing boats and crab boats you see in many marine harbors and on some TV shows like Deadliest Catch. See below for brands and styles and other links. Basically these boats carry 1000s of gallons of fuel and tons of supplies for crews of 3-6 or more depending on boat size. They are 35-80 feet or more. They have staterooms and big diesel engines and can cruise offshore for weeks and go for 3-5000 miles across the oceans.

Especially look at some of the Grand Banks boats. One of my friends owned one for 20 years and lived on it in LA harbor for the whole time. He is single and routinely went to Catalina and down to Mexico by himself. He had 700 gallons of fuel and twin diesels and all the off shore stuff on his 50 foot boat. It was a real yacht with amazing wood and big master cabin and a big main living room master saloon and so forth. He and I talked about cruising down the west coast from LA to Ecuador for a 3 month cruise when he retired but then the 2008 recession hit and he had to sell. But those boats are amazing.

http://www.powercruising.com/
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/deadl ... geon-cove/
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/deadl ... ing-facts/
http://sarasotayacht.com/co-brokerage-u ... id=2946238

Good Luck.
Fascinating, I had no idea about these. Thanks!
Semper Augustus
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

btenny wrote:There are lots of tradeoffs in the type of boat you own and what you want to do with it. Have you written down the tradeoffs versus your plans? Below is my short list of tradeoffs. I suggest you make your own list of tradeoffs.

Again Good Luck.
You almost convinced me I need a catamaran!
btenny

Post by btenny »

I agree Hobie Cats are fun. :) :)
2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Financially you won the game......assuming a balanced 60/40-75/25 portfolio a 3-3.5% SWR has never failed.

That means that even if you withdrew $150,000 and adjusted for inflation forever you will never run out of money, on the contrary you will likely die with a big ol pile of :moneybag
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Go for it! YOLO and all that.

And yes, definitely go with a sail boat. Something below 40 ft if you're single handed.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

One of the best songs and beautiful video capturing the lure of sailing around the world - the downhill run to Pape'ete :happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9gLjEGJrw
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom" - Pillar 4: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained. Eschewing the risk of stocks, therefore, carries a risk of its own.
nevertoolate

Post by nevertoolate »

Just go, my only advice -- you have accumulated more than enough. You are now just in a race against time. You will likely die with too much, sub optimal,

Read Jimmy Cornell "World Voyage Planner" he has a survey of some 40 boats that have sailed around world which includes topic on finances.

Costs have gone up recently but the average couple you are looking at around $40k pa (stddev +/-10k in 2012 $). Spending around $250k on second hand bluewater yacht plus $100k to refit sails electronics etc will give you an awesome seaworthy vessel.

My guess is you'll be saving around $80k to $100k.

Do it.