27/m. Wanting to Quit My Job. Any Words of Wisdom?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
EzM

27/m. Wanting to Quit My Job. Any Words of Wisdom?

Post by EzM »

Hi all,

I've been working 5 years straight now without much vacation. Smart kid, Finance degree from a state school, moved from $35k to $65k salary over this timeframe. Working on my CFA with 1 exam to go. 27/m single.

I've seen 100% turnover at my current job (aside from the owners) and just can't take it anymore. Classic signs of burnout. Depression. Anhedonia. The job is great, the clients are great, but the bosses and culture are taking its toll on me. I've never felt this much of a loss of confidence in myself.

$85k net worth. $15k in the bank, about $5k taxable, the rest is in Roth or 401(k). No debt. Expenses could be cut down to about $2k/mo.

Any advice? I'm really considering quitting to take a sabbatical and just study for my final CFA exam next year. Potentially move to a different city or be closer to family. (I probably just need a therapist, right?...)
Last edited by EzM on Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack FFR1846

Re: 27/m. Wanting to Quit My Job. Any Words of Wisdom?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Take a 2 week vacation.

They don't call it a job because it's something we spring out of bed and want to do. I've felt burned out so started taking Fridays off (have taken no vacation all year). Mainly because we get to carry zero vacation time into the next year but it's nice waking up Friday morning and not having to go to work.

And make sure the therapist is in network.....you don't want to pay those big deductibles.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

5 years is enough time to determine if you can do your current job for another 5-10. Life is too short to be miserable for too long.

The keys are you are young, single and can keep your expenses low. If you quit, figure out what to do with having basic health coverage.

Moving closer to family strikes a chord with me. If returning closer to home and family is an option, it is a good one. Consider housing costs and climate, etc. Why not start looking at jobs around "back home". See what the job market looks like.

5 years isn't a long time (this work thing goes on a long time), but you currently have some flexibility. Buy a house, get married, have a kid. Those will all make it harder to make big moves.

There are no bad ideas, just some ideas you choose not to implement... :idea:
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey »

Prioritize your health and well-being. Eat well; drink lots of water; exercise regularly; see a therapist. And yes, quit your job if it's killing you. But before you do, look at competitors in your field, call them and see what they may offer you. Any in the area near your parents? Make a plan to get out of the bad work environment because, I can tell you from experience, once you commit to leaving you'll start to feel better. But this doesn't mean you shouldn't get your duckies in a row for a new job, even if it is in a new city. Don't panic--you'll be fine. :beer
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Find a new job first and negotiate some time off before you start to recouperate/travel/whatever. A couple of weeks might be enough.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Something for college freshmen from 2015 How to Live Wisely

Yes, you are older, but did you do something like this already?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
EzM

Post by EzM »

Prioritize your health and well-being. Eat well; drink lots of water; exercise regularly; see a therapist. And yes, quit your job if it's killing you.
Thanks for the insight. I've been doing the diet & exercise route as I've felt this for a while now. It's the sleeping more than 9 hours and struggling to get out of bed which concerns me, which is definitely a change from my pattern.
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

In my day, we called this a quarter life crisis and you went on a weekend bender with your buddies :mrgreen: (I'm only 4 years older than you).

I would start a job search. I would not take an extended leave of absence. See a therapist if you think it would help. Nothing wrong with a 2-3 week vacation either...
expat

Post by expat »

Assuming you have cash reserves, quit your job and enjoy your youth and freedom while you still have it.
Radjob4me

Post by Radjob4me »

I would strongly suggest the vacation route as your first step, even before finding a new job. Just totally separate from work altogether - 2 weeks would be better than 1 if you can... When you come back you may be able to better assess how you feel about your current position. And ramp up your saving now...

And along with the eating better, exercise, you really should try take regular vacations. This "work creep" that has occurred in society - where people are always working by checking email or even just afraid to take time off - is really not healthy, especially if you have been working for 5 straight years. Even in a good job, you need time off to travel/explore or have a staycation in your hometown/city or go see family and reset the mind. I really like my job, but there are times I just need to be off and not worry about it and relax.

I don't know what your employer offers, but use it. And if they don't offer any vacation (which would be crazy), then ask for it. If they don;t give it to you, even after explaining you are burnt out and have worked hard for 5 years, then they have helped make you decision to leave that much easier.
BL

Post by BL »

Do you have vacation time coming? If so, then ask for it.

Brush up your resume and start looking around. Network. Make use of social networks (carefully!)

Burnout is common. Find a hobby. Volunteer at a soup kitchen or do other good deed. Find a common interest or faith group.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

EzM wrote:
Thanks for the insight. I've been doing the diet & exercise route as I've felt this for a while now. It's the sleeping more than 9 hours and struggling to get out of bed which concerns me, which is definitely a change from my pattern.
See your doctor to discuss this if you haven't already because it could have a physical cause and also see a therapist. Even if you think it is purely your job situation and nothing more, seeing a therapist short-term can help you deal with it and work everything out. I was lucky enough to see a good therapist at a similar point in life for about six sessions and ended up taking a new job and moving and the therapist was very helpful.

Beyond that, it is certainly reasonable to move, get a new job, go back to school, take a sabbatical, or make other significant changes in your life, especially where you are now, at 27 with at a job you don't like after five years.

What is not as reasonable (in most but not all cases) is just quitting your job without some kind of direction and some planning. You might consider working into 2017 long enough to add to your retirement plans for 2017, save some money for living expenses, spiff up your résumé, etc., to make the changes easier.

Taking a couple of weeks of vacation, as others have suggested, might help with focusing on what you want to do next.

Something else to consider if there is even one owner/boss who is reasonable is to talk to him or her about the fact that you are feeling burned out and ask for some specific changes that would help, such as working at home or no longer doing some aspect of your job that you are currently doing.
jf89

Post by jf89 »

Don't just quit without a plan. Find that other job first. Remember that just because you find a job doesn't mean you necessarily HAVE to start it immediately. Find a job, try to get a start date a month or two out then you get to quit confidently.

I don't know about you, but the stress of uncertainty about not having a job (or worse having to pass an exam in order to find a job) would kill me WAY faster than the stress of going to a job I hated.
"Save as much as you can, diversify diversify diversify, and you can't go wrong with tech stocks" | -First investing advice I recall from my parents in the 90's (two outta three ain't bad)
carorun

Post by carorun »

You sound like me a few years ago, even down to the salary and net worth. I love to travel and have made it a priority to travel while I'm young and physically able to do it cheaply. I used to take an international trip every other year and lately take one a year. Travel does not have to be crazily expensive. Most of those trips were in the ~1-2k range, all in.

Fortunately, I think some employers have warmed to the idea of sabbaticals and longer vacations to keep millennials happy. Have you broached the subject of an unpaid leave of absence? Time it for the slow season.

If that's not an option, start taking memorable 2 week trips. If your employer isn't even ok with that, it's time to find a new job.
hudson

Post by hudson »

If I were in your shoes, I would make the job work or get another before leaving.
You already know that it's much easier to get a job, if you already have a job. It's really good to have a job!!
Having said that, I know several folks who just walked out the door with little or no notice and did just fine in life.
I know many more that quit their jobs and floundered.
Completely your choice.
also be very careful about asking for words of wisdom :)
Last edited by hudson on Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
investorguy1

Post by investorguy1 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Take a 2 week vacation.

They don't call it a job because it's something we spring out of bed and want to do. I've felt burned out so started taking Fridays off (have taken no vacation all year). Mainly because we get to carry zero vacation time into the next year but it's nice waking up Friday morning and not having to go to work.

And make sure the therapist is in network.....you don't want to pay those big deductibles.
+1 a vacation / change of pace/ break from work is an excellent idea. Work is only one part of your life. You work in order to make money to live not for it to take over your whole life. Before leaving I would also make sure you had another job lined up first.
Greentree

Post by Greentree »

I remember these days:). It took a while before I actually enjoyed going to work. Most of it is exactly what you said, bosses and politics. I remember one day seeing a garbage man and thinking, hmmm, that might not be so bad, I think they make pretty good money. That is a true story.

Changing jobs always helped if nothing for at least the short term.

Find something you like to do outside of work that can help balance things.

Take a 2 week vacation.

My only advice is that if you like the work, but don't like the politics and bosses, it just takes some grinding to get to the point where you have more options. I enjoyed reading the book: "So Good They Can't Ignore You." Can you go out on your own? Maybe not now but eventually?
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

expat wrote:Assuming you have cash reserves, quit your job and enjoy your youth and freedom while you still have it.
Do not do this... you just need a break to clear your head. I repeat, do not do this...
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Just learn to ignore the crap, enjoy the paychecks and find any value/meaning in the work that you can. This is work life pretty much everywhere. If nothing else, enjoy the entertainment that corporate America provides. It's like getting paid to read Dilbert all day long if you can just take a step or two back. 8-)
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
yearzero

Post by yearzero »

You don't need a therapist. Or to see a doctor. Or to try and "talk" to your bosses. You need a new work environment.

Five years is a long time to work in a toxic environment. It sounds like your office environment is adversely influencing your happiness and well being and, at 27, that unacceptable.

My first advice is to stop caring about your job.. This job and environment is not for you. You are already winning the game in that you have savings and unlimited options at a young age so start enacting a plan for the next phase of your life.

Next, take a long vacation (exotic or go chill with your family and friends) with all your available vacation days. Think about a plan and what you want for your life over the next 5, 10 years when you are removed from that environment. Nobody here can answer that for you and it's going to be hard work to determine what you want for the next phase of your life.

Last, come back, do you job half ass (while working on your plan, interviewing for other jobs if that is part of your plan, etc.) until they fire you so you can collect unemployment.

The board is right here that it's easier to springboard into a new job if you have a current job. But don't wake up in ten years, asking yourself why you put up with a bunch of crap, working for a bunch of d-bags, and wondering what could have been.....

Good luck.
"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you"- Muse-Knights of Cydonia
warowits

Post by warowits »

Begin the job search before you leave your current job. Makes for a much more pleasant job search, and no work gaps to explain.
windaar

Post by windaar »

Looks like it's time for a therapeutic viewing of Office Space. Then consider what kind of career you may prefer. I am in education & love my job; every day I drive to work looking forward to the day ahead. I wish the same for you. Take time off, go back to school. Stop hurting your mental health for a few bucks. Not worth it! Best wishes.
Nobody knows nothing.
Topic Author
EzM

Post by EzM »

Thanks all. I will start job searching sooner rather than later (like tomorrow). I suppose that my loyalty is gone. Staying and studying Jan. through June to finish my CFA exam was my main goal, but I'm not sure if I can tolerate the work environment at the same time this go around. Switching jobs might be tough too, but I'll let the future determine that. Life happens.

I'm sure I'll come out OK at the end of things. Or the middle, or wherever it goes. If anyone has anecdotes about moving to new cities alone, I'd love to hear them. I'll look up old threads in the meantime.
david99

Post by david99 »

Moving to a bigger city can be great for your social life. I was single and living in a small city and my social life was the pits. Moving to a large city really helped---- dating is much better in a large city --- there are many more activities for singles.
becoo

Post by becoo »

OP, sorry to hear about your situation. Others have given great advice here regarding weighing both the financial and health repercussions of the decision. I would also advise previewing the health care plans and rates in your area to see if they look doable to you.

I also find it helpful to recognize that in life there are some painful situations worth enduring because doing so will ultimately lead us to our career or personal goals, and others that we need to remove from our lives because enduring them will only derail our future prospects, health, or happiness. Honestly characterizing the situation for what it is can help you decide whether you need a temporary vacation or permanent escape from your role.

Best wishes.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I have good news and bad news.

Bad news
- The corporate life never gets any better. The company doesn't give a crap about you, it's all about the $$
- There will be some great people at work - but the jerks will also be there.

Good news
- YOU are in charge of your life. You decide how much you really want to give the company.
- They don't own you.

All the ideas provided so far are good. Take a short vacation just to clear your head and have some time to think. I'd start looking for another job, 5 years is plenty of time at a company these days.
CMLAW1

Post by CMLAW1 »

yearzero wrote:You don't need a therapist. Or to see a doctor. Or to try and "talk" to your bosses. You need a new work environment.

Five years is a long time to work in a toxic environment. It sounds like your office environment is adversely influencing your happiness and well being and, at 27, that unacceptable.

My first advice is to stop caring about your job.. This job and environment is not for you. You are already winning the game in that you have savings and unlimited options at a young age so start enacting a plan for the next phase of your life.

Next, take a long vacation (exotic or go chill with your family and friends) with all your available vacation days. Think about a plan and what you want for your life over the next 5, 10 years when you are removed from that environment. Nobody here can answer that for you and it's going to be hard work to determine what you want for the next phase of your life.

Last, come back, do you job half ass (while working on your plan, interviewing for other jobs if that is part of your plan, etc.) until they fire you so you can collect unemployment.

The board is right here that it's easier to springboard into a new job if you have a current job. But don't wake up in ten years, asking yourself why you put up with a bunch of crap, working for a bunch of d-bags, and wondering what could have been.....

Good luck.
This is a great idea in my opinion
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Others posters are correct: It's much easier to get a job when you have a job. From your post it appears that you have toxic bosses if they have 100 percent turnover. One other thing to consider before jumping to a new job: Is it the nature of the work, the management or both that leave you frustrated? If it's the nature of the work, you need to take that into account and consider changing to a different kind of work. Seek and ye shall find. Good luck.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Rosebud

Post by Rosebud »

I was just thinking to myself as I read the responses that, "It's much easier to get a job when you have a job," and then I saw the last reply. Totally agree from many years of looking for jobs and hiring people who were changing jobs or were out of work and looking for jobs. When it is time to move on, it's often a good thing to do so.
Watty

Post by Watty »

mlebuf wrote:Others posters are correct: It's much easier to get a job when you have a job.
+1000

Especially if you are looking for a good job and don't need one right away. Once you start interviewing you might actually get several job offers that you decline before finding a new job that you think is good enough to try. If you are not working then you will be real tempted to take the first job offer.
without much vacation
That was a huge mistake on your part.

I retired last year and never lost a days vacation because I didn't take it. Occasionally I did things like schedule vacations four to six months ahead of time and bought non-refundable tickets so there was no question of me changing my plans.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

jjface wrote:Find a new job first and negotiate some time off before you start to recouperate/travel/whatever. A couple of weeks might be enough.
+1.

You do not have enough saved to simply quit, spend significant time on me time and hope to find another job.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Wrong.

You never know when you will need a recommendation either from former bosses or former colleagues. You never know when you will end up seeing them at an interview a few years later in some other company - happens all the time. Or you interview with someone who golfs with your former boss or colleague.

Maintain a strong reputation. This is often your best asset going forward.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

Start looking for another job while you're employed. Use up all your vacation. Take a couple weeks between jobs (once you've got a new one) and take that time to go somewhere you love - whether it's the mountains, the Keys, or whatever.

You're pretty successful so far so you're doing something right. Just gotta find what matches up with you.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

You seriously need some vacation. And an employer with a better culture. And maybe a dog. You're in your late 20's, make it awesome.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

The only suggestion I'm going to offer is taking some time to clear your head. Think about where you are going if you stay on the current course and where you would like to be in the future. If the two don't match, adjust course. The time to do this, in my opinion, is now - while you still have time on your side.

I had a very similar background as you up till a certain age. At age 26, I had a business degree from a state school, had been with my employer for 4 years and had moved up to management, was working on a master's degree, and single. Like you, I was experiencing burn-out, some signs of depression, was unhappy with the culture and it was all taking a toll on me. I did something unwise that ended up working out fine for me but it is not something I'm recommending: I quit my job and went traveling overseas with a good friend for several months. I just knew I didn't want to be there anymore and needed to get away. I did finish the degree I was working on first and left my job on good terms so that I could come back there if it came to that. So I guess I wasn't totally dumb.

During the time that I was away traveling, I was able to do a lot of thinking. I realized I was feeling unfulfilled by my work and saw it as meaningless. I was not in good physical health and was feeling lonely as well. It was time for some big changes. So, upon returning home, I sought to make changes in those areas. It wasn't easy at first but I'm glad I did. I'm 42 now, married, a dad, in better shape than I was at 26, live very close to family now (both on my side and my wife's), and have been teaching 5th graders for the past dozen or so years. I look forward to going to work now and feel happy and fulfilled. I found work at a district that luckily pays a decent salary so it worked out okay financially too.

Life can be what you want it to be but you have to decide what that is first. It's not always easy to do, especially when you're busy grinding away. So take some time to think about what's making you feel the way you are and then do something about it. Maybe you just need to make a modest change such as work for another company with a better environment. Perhaps, it's more. So reflect upon it. Keep in mind that making changes can be more difficult once you're older and settled down.

All the best,
Ron
swong

Post by swong »

EzM...be very careful and think this one through before you quit w/o lining something up. Works is exactly that....if it were meant to be enjoyable or fun it would have been named exactly that..."fun". Contrary to popular belief it's still brutal out there and the employment numbers I honestly believe are massaged or bogus. Read your details and I believe your finances are short and insufficient to sustain you more than a year 2 at the most. I was let go in 2011 after working for the one company for 38 years but knew the writing was on the wall having been set up virtually in a home office some 5 years before my IRIF. The good news was I was already 61 years of age and had a decent severance package and savings from frugal budgeting. Do I miss working?...no, but I see, read, and hear of many who are in your situation and can only offer sage advice. "Once the toothpaste is squeezed out of the tube, there is no way to put it back"....good luck in your decisions!
wrespess

Post by wrespess »

deleted
Last edited by wrespess on Mon May 28, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dopey

Post by Dopey »

Going from college where your schedule changes every 4 months and you're surrounded by friends (and girls) to a full time job where you know in the back of your mind you could conceivably be at for the next 40 years is a hard and depressing transition.

I had lots of little crisis. I job hoped 3 times in less than 2 years to find what I wanted. The 2009 recession also aided in that effort since what was available me with my limited experience sucked and I was always looking for something better. I considered medical school and law school along the way.

I like my current job, but I think I'd still struggle with this if I didn't have a family relying on me. Chalk it up to being an entitled millennial I guess......

Regardless, I would strongly advise against a year off. Get your kicks in other ways. Get passionate about something else (hobby, Masters degree, volunteer work). Job hop to a cool new place for the experience. Maybe you'll love it and your increased pay check bank account will thank you.
Last edited by Dopey on Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

A change of jobs may be in order but it sounds like there may be other issues. How is your life outside of work? Do you have a good and balanced social life? Are you satisfied with your life outside of work? If not, you may need to focus on that as well. Work can unduly influence our personal lives and vice versa.

In regards to your work and career, I suggest you assess your career and develop a plan to achieve long term career goals (I define long term as 5 to 10 years at this point of your career). It sounds like you have plenty of options, you just need to think it through better. It would help if you had someone as a mentor to help you get through this. With your workplace turnover, you may have to look elsewhere for that.

Best wishes.
joebh

Post by joebh »

EzM wrote:Any advice? I'm really considering quitting to take a sabbatical and just study for my final CFA exam next year. Potentially move to a different city or be closer to family. (I probably just need a therapist, right?...)
Take a vacation if you haven't had one recently. Clear your mind. Then think things through from a more relaxed perspective. Decide what you want. Then make a move.

Then, find your next job before you quit this one. Jumping from a paying job into financial pressure isn't good for you.

Study for your CFA exam in your free time. Don't take a sabbatical from work.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I haven't had time to read all the answers, but I have had one or two terrible jobs in my life. In each case I made sure I had a new job to go to before bailing.

Try not to go around telling people you're smart. If you're smart, your accomplishments will speak for you.
Teague

Post by Teague »

I think you'll be just fine no matter what you do.

When I was around your age, I did come up with one sage piece of advice for myself when changing things up - which I did pretty often. I found things easily manageable as long as I only changed one of the following three things at a time: Job. Girlfriend. Housing.

Changing one at a time was exciting. Two at a time was stressful. All three was chaos. Good luck.
Semper Augustus
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

wrespess wrote:I would implore you to examine your life and find out what it is you truly enjoy doing.

I did this and changed my my career at 30 from investment banker in NYC to skydiving instructor in Florida. Ironically, I currently save more and make more money.....not to mention I love what I do. I'm currently 37

In the start of the transition, I didn't make much but still loved getting up for work everyday. The fact that I loved what I did, helped me excel and now I own the skydiving center.

At your age and with no debt or responsibilities to others, you can try to find what it is that inspires you.

Alan Watts says it much more eloquently than me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJCOiegKAlY
That's an awesome story, but IMO, you are literally one in a million. I have a 33yr old sister who has spent the past 6yrs "trying to find her passion." She has a BS, and a pair of MS' from 3 world renowned universities and left a solid job working at Columbia University as an archivist because she didn't love it. Since, she's become a certified esthetician, gone to culinary school, tried to get into being a tattoo artist, and is now trying to get into "food styling". She's gone through so many "passions' now that I lost count, all of which she very quickly hated. She is now severely depressed, forced to live in my mother's basement, working at a bakery just to pay the minimums on her school loans, and nearly on the brink of bankruptcy. She could quit trying to find her passion, get a $60k+/yr job in a heartbeat, and use the freedom that buys her to find her passion in her free time, but she is completely dedicated to the mantra that "if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life". I could tell you dozens of similar stories about friends and other extended family member, zero success stories. It's pretty difficult to be happy when you are a financial wreck. Great it worked out for you, it is terrible advice for 99% of people.

I admire those who truly find their passion in their work. I also think that most (not all, you sound like an exception) who say it are delusional or should be pitied because life is more than that. Nobody should hate their job or have to work in a toxic environment, but it isn't called "happy fun time." I get paid well, for spending 8hrs/day (never more) in a pleasant environment, surrounded by people I respect, and I have total autonomy over what I do. It isn't what I'd wake up every day wanting to do if I had F' you money, but I am very aware that I have it better than the huge majority of the workforce. It buys me the ability to do the things that I love every day after work and, soon enough, the ability to say bye to work altogether. Better advice for most people is to find what you are good at, that you don't hate doing, and that will pay you enough to support the life that you want.

OP, as many others have said, it is never easier to find a job than when you have one. Maybe take some time off. Spend all your free time looking for a better option, but don't bite off your nose to spite your face. Your "career" may truly be in another field, but don't risk what you have already built because you experienced one work environment that wasn't for you.
joebh

Post by joebh »

stoptothink wrote:I have a 33yr old sister who has spent the past 6yrs "trying to find her passion." She has a BS, and a pair of MS' from 3 world renowned universities and left a solid job working at Columbia University as an archivist because she didn't love it. Since, she's become a certified esthetician, gone to culinary school, tried to get into being a tattoo artist, and is now trying to get into "food styling". She's gone through so many "passions' now that I lost count, all of which she very quickly hated. She is now severely depressed, forced to live in my mother's basement, working at a bakery just to pay the minimums on her school loans, and nearly on the brink of bankruptcy. She could quit trying to find her passion, get a $60k+/yr job in a heartbeat, and use the freedom that buys her to find her passion in her free time, but she is completely dedicated to the mantra that "if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life".
Sounds like she is passionate about seeking her passion. In days past she might have been labelled a "professional student". I completely agree that sometimes in life we need to suck it up, do work that pays the bills, and seek our passion in our free time.

Hopefully, she soon sees the light, and learns the benefits of hard work and delayed gratification, since it sounds like her current path isn't making her happy. Everyone deserves to be happy. That doesn't mean that getting to "happy" is easy.
Maverick3320

Post by Maverick3320 »

No advice, just the first time I've seen "smart kid" used to refer to oneself in third person.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Advice.
Life is Too Short.
Find something you enjoy doing,
for the major portion of your waking hours. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
expat

Post by expat »

Crimsontide wrote:
expat wrote:Assuming you have cash reserves, quit your job and enjoy your youth and freedom while you still have it.
Do not do this... you just need a break to clear your head. I repeat, do not do this...
Too late. I already did this and lived to tell the tale. No regrets.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I have heard the adage "people don't quit a job, they quit a boss" multiple times. As a entry/mid level manager I've never quite understood how a boss could be so horrible in a corporate environment. Can you detail a few things that are happening?

I have been with the same company for over 10 years, and there were times that I hated my job. My company is large, so I made sure that I marketed myself for another role when I was getting burnt out/ hated what I did.
mouses

Post by mouses »

poker27 wrote:I have heard the adage "people don't quit a job, they quit a boss" multiple times. As a entry/mid level manager I've never quite understood how a boss could be so horrible in a corporate environment. Can you detail a few things that are happening?
I worked in field support as a software engineer. Our manager's manager was driven by sales people. Whenever there was any problem, the sales people were right and we were wrong.

Example: a co-worker was sent to install an operating system, (think days of room sized computers) which she did. She was called in on the carpet and later got a bad performance review for not installing an OS on another system that she had not been told about.

The manager's manager told him to manage, not do support and installations. Yet he was always dragging him off to do... support and installations and then criticizing him for not managing.

I took some days off for an operation. The manager knew why I was taking the time off. At 2am the morning of the operation, he phoned and woke me out of a sound sleep to ask me to debug over the phone a problem he was having installing a system. This was potentially my life he was talking about.

We were told for a year that we would get more staffing. Meanwhile most of us worked seven days a week. I kid you not, seven days a week, often with plane trips in between as we covered several states. It was of course to the manager's manager's advantage to not staff up, as we were on salary.

Good bye job.

i have another horrible job example, from a Megacorp, but this brings back such bad memories that I won't type it in.
expat

Post by expat »

poker27 wrote: As a entry/mid level manager I've never quite understood how a boss could be so horrible in a corporate environment.
Really? I can easily.