Health Insurance rates went up

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
tampaite

Health Insurance rates went up

Post by tampaite »

Deleting my messages on this forum
Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDCarpenter

Re: Health Insurance rates went up

Post by JDCarpenter »

tampaite wrote: Is there any other alternative to signing up for cheaper plan other than one through your employer?
Probably not, unless you have a spouse with a better option (or you are under 26 and can hang with a parental plan). Investigate your options in the private insurance market and on the healthcare exchange; odds are that you are better off with the employer plan. See this thread, for example: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=201899&start=100
tampaite wrote: So healthcare companies say expenses are going up and inflation is going up and yet IRS says there is insufficient inflation to increase 401K and Roth IRA contributions for 2017.

Who is correct?
Both. Health insurance/care inflation rate, like that of higher education, has been greater than the baseline inflation rate for quite some time.
Edit Signature
fpr4

Post by fpr4 »

Consider yourself lucky. I buy as an individual (for a family plan) and my premiums are going up 74%. I will now pay more in premiums than my mortgage for a plan with $3500/$7500 (ind/fam) with horrible copays.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

fpr4 wrote:Consider yourself lucky. I buy as an individual (for a family plan) and my premiums are going up 74%. I will now pay more in premiums than my mortgage for a plan with $3500/$7500 (ind/fam) with horrible copays.
Yep, compared to the national average, this increase is quite low. In the state of Arizona, the average increase is expected to be 116% for '17. we are very fortunate that my wife's employer covers 100% of the premium cost, but our deductible went way up - off the top of my head, I believe it doubled.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

A 3% increase is pretty much a gift these days.
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

tampaite wrote:Is there any other alternative to signing up for cheaper plan other than one through your employer?
It's quite possible. Check Humana, SelectHealth, Blue Cross, and so on. My wife's health insurance is $78/month through SelectHealth and that includes maternity coverage (deductible is $7,500). My health insurance is through my work, so it's free (deductible is $3,500), so I can't comment on that. Though we do have a baby coming in February and I know it will cost us $43/month to add the baby to my plan. Haven't checked how much it would cost to add the baby to her plan, so it remains to be seen if that will come in lower than the $43 (and we have to consider that adding the baby to my plan would allow for a larger HSA contribution, while adding it to hers wouldn't).

Will you find something cheaper than your work? Maybe, maybe not. But the good part of not tying your health insurance to your work is that you retain it if you stop working there. My wife will stop working on January 31st and her health insurance coverage will be entirely unaffected. So if the third-party at least came close to your employer's price, I'd go third-party.
fpr4

Post by fpr4 »

Companies will keep increasing deductibles, since there is a premium ceiling and a mandate on how much employers must contribute toward the premiums. Once deductibles are maxed out of affordability (another federally mandated ceiling), companies are going to start shedding costs elsewhere (payroll). Then maybe people will wake up to how disastrous this deal was. Nobody cared when someone else was footing the cost.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

LiterallyIronic wrote:
tampaite wrote:Is there any other alternative to signing up for cheaper plan other than one through your employer?
It's quite possible. Check Humana, SelectHealth, Blue Cross, and so on. My wife's health insurance is $78/month through SelectHealth and that includes maternity coverage (deductible is $7,500). My health insurance is through my work, so it's free (deductible is $3,500), so I can't comment on that. Though we do have a baby coming in February and I know it will cost us $43/month to add the baby to my plan. Haven't checked how much it would cost to add the baby to her plan, so it remains to be seen if that will come in lower than the $43 (and we have to consider that adding the baby to my plan would allow for a larger HSA contribution, while adding it to hers wouldn't).

Will you find something cheaper than your work? Maybe, maybe not. But the good part of not tying your health insurance to your work is that you retain it if you stop working there. My wife will stop working on January 31st and her health insurance coverage will be entirely unaffected. So if the third-party at least came close to your employer's price, I'd go third-party.
A health insurance policy with $7500 deductible would not be ACA-complaint and would subject her to the penalty for not having compliant coverage. Unless she has a grandfathered plan, something is amiss....and grandfathered plans are no longer available obviously.

Given the rate increases of ACA policies, I think it's pretty unlikely that one will be more cost-effective than a group policy which is subsidized by the employer, and that does not even consider the difference in provider networks.
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

BruDude wrote:A health insurance policy with $7500 deductible would not be ACA-complaint and would subject her to the penalty for not having compliant coverage. Unless she has a grandfathered plan, something is amiss....and grandfathered plans are no longer available obviously.

Given the rate increases of ACA policies, I think it's pretty unlikely that one will be more cost-effective than a group policy which is subsidized by the employer, and that does not even consider the difference in provider networks.
She's had the plan since 2010, I believe. The annual increase in premium has been four or five dollars on average, so I imagine that it will go up to somewhere around $82/month in 2017. I don't know anything about ACA-compliance except that you have to have health insurance or pay the tax. If that's a grandfathered plan, then I need to make sure she keeps it because I see posts about people paying more for health insurance than they pay for their mortgage and it makes me scratch my head, given that my rent is $400 and we pay $78 for health insurance.
Mintee

Post by Mintee »

Yesterday, I received the 2017 rates for the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas' individual plan that I am on now (the rates for individual plans here are the same as the ACA). The monthly premium will increase by more than 30%, the in-network, out-of-pocket maximum/deductible increased to almost $7,200 (meaning I pay the first $7,200 for almost everything before insurance kicks in), all the co-pays have increased, etc. etc. Very few physicians and few hospitals are in-network, so I have to go to another city to receive care. I paid more than $1K for labs taken as part of a physical, and almost all labs seem to be out-of network (which has it's own deductible, twice that of in network). I avoid going to the doctor as much as possible, and I hope, every day, that I don't have any major health issues.

I can't imagine how a family could afford this plan.

I share this to give you some perspective about individual choices. The "service" provided by this company is awful. Unfortunately, many other insurers have pulled out of the individual market (and ACA market), so there aren't many choices.

Good luck!
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

LiterallyIronic wrote:
BruDude wrote:A health insurance policy with $7500 deductible would not be ACA-complaint and would subject her to the penalty for not having compliant coverage. Unless she has a grandfathered plan, something is amiss....and grandfathered plans are no longer available obviously.

She's had the plan since 2010, I believe. The annual increase in premium has been four or five dollars on average, so I imagine that it will go up to somewhere around $82/month in 2017. I don't know anything about ACA-compliance except that you have to have health insurance or pay the tax. If that's a grandfathered plan, then I need to make sure she keeps it because I see posts about people paying more for health insurance than they pay for their mortgage and it makes me scratch my head, given that my rent is $400 and we pay $78 for health insurance.
Sounds like a grandfathered plan, ACA was signed in March 2010....if she bought it before ACA was signed, she can keep it forever, or at least until the insurance company terminates that block of plans. If it's a "grandmothered" plan it may terminate at the end of 2016 or 2017 automatically. I'd keep it as long as you can because you definitely aren't going to find anything for $78/month now.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

I am an employer and my employer based BCBS we offer for our 25 employees is going up 19%. Not sure yet what we're gonna do.
Last edited by toofache32 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
catdude

Post by catdude »

Mintee wrote:Yesterday, I received the 2017 rates for the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas' individual plan that I am on now (the rates for individual plans here are the same as the ACA). The monthly premium will increase by more than 30%, the in-network, out-of-pocket maximum/deductible increased to almost $7,200 (meaning I pay the first $7,200 for almost everything before insurance kicks in), all the co-pays have increased, etc. etc. Very few physicians and few hospitals are in-network, so I have to go to another city to receive care. I paid more than $1K for labs taken as part of a physical, and almost all labs seem to be out-of network (which has it's own deductible, twice that of in network). I avoid going to the doctor as much as possible, and I hope, every day, that I don't have any major health issues.

I share this to give you some perspective about individual choices. The "service" provided by this company is awful. Unfortunately, many other insurers have pulled out of the individual market (and ACA market), so there aren't many choices.

Good luck!
Wow, I'm amazed at the difference between the individual and group insurance markets. I'm a retiree with coverage thru my ex-employer, and my premium for medical coverage via a BCBS plan went up about 1% for 2017. From $163 a month in 2016 to $165 in 2017. My premiums for prescription drug coverage and dental care are unchanged. I'm really curious to know if my experience regarding group coverage is similar to other folks out there.

I'm very thankful that I'm not at the mercy of the individual/ACA health insurance market. I feel like a very lucky dog...
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Your retiree coverage is heavily subsidized by your former employer.
catdude

Post by catdude »

Oh, no doubt about it. I pay 30% of the premium and my old employer pays 70%. I'm happy now that I stuck it out for all those years...
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
MN Finance

Post by MN Finance »

Alternatives? Don't get Healthcare. That's my plan
midareff

Post by midareff »

There is no place to hide..... retired and our insurance (for 2) is $1000 a month between my medicare and supplement and her on my former employers policy. No deductibles and minimal copay's for her. Add in nearly $2K out of pocket for medications... and then you get to dental. Cleanings, checkups, replace an occasional 40 year old filing throw in another $1500 a year., unless something actually happens like a crown, implant or other than it's just wow! I've got my fingers crossed we will come in under $17K this year... last year was implant year and dental was $14K alone. It's a huge expense and something retirees or near retired folks have to be aware of.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I think there is a lot of variability. I have retiree coverage but several years ago they froze the company contribution and all increases pass to the retiree. I just received a notice that the rates will remain the same this year. There was no increase last year either. I have not seen the details so I don't know if they are changing deductibles but I doubt it - they are pretty good about communicating changes so I don't think they would mail out a card omitting this key info but highlighting the flat rate.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

midareff wrote: It's a huge expense and something retirees or near retired folks have to be aware of.
Dental can be quite significant -- so can eye care. These are good uses for HSA funds though.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

BruDude wrote:Your retiree coverage is heavily subsidized by your former employer.
Most employers subsidize on a percentage basis, so if there were a large premium increase, the employee would feel it as much as the employer.

Some places haven't seen much if any in increases. Other places have seen insane increases. It's very geographical.

I think a lot is related to competition. In my area, which is a very high cost of living area, the premiums are lower, less than half as much in some cases, than in some low cost of living areas. There are 5 major insurers. Places that have only one or two major insurers are bound to have higher premiums and more increases.
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

tampaite wrote:
  1. * Premiums will increase 3.3%
  • * Annual deductibles will increase 25%
  • * Annual Out Of Pocket(OOP) expense will increase 38%
Is there any other alternative to signing up for cheaper plan other than one through your employer?
Oh how nice it would be to be you. My premiums went up 20% and I my deductible went up 48%
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

knpstr wrote:
tampaite wrote:
  1. * Premiums will increase 3.3%
  • * Annual deductibles will increase 25%
  • * Annual Out Of Pocket(OOP) expense will increase 38%
Is there any other alternative to signing up for cheaper plan other than one through your employer?
Oh how nice it would be to be you. My premiums went up 20% and I my deductible went up 48%
Probably right, but all depends upon what the respective numbers were for 2016. :wink:
Edit Signature
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

We received our annual "We're dropping your current ACA plan and the replacement plan premiums will cost you 48% more." letter from Medical Mutual Wednesday. Even with maximum subsidies our rate (2 people) will be going up to $769 per month. $500 per person deductible and no co-pays.
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

johnny wrote:
Mintee wrote:Yesterday, I received the 2017 rates for the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas' individual plan that I am on now (the rates for individual plans here are the same as the ACA). The monthly premium will increase by more than 30%, the in-network, out-of-pocket maximum/deductible increased to almost $7,200 (meaning I pay the first $7,200 for almost everything before insurance kicks in), all the co-pays have increased, etc. etc. Very few physicians and few hospitals are in-network, so I have to go to another city to receive care. I paid more than $1K for labs taken as part of a physical, and almost all labs seem to be out-of network (which has it's own deductible, twice that of in network). I avoid going to the doctor as much as possible, and I hope, every day, that I don't have any major health issues.

Good luck!
Wow, I'm amazed at the difference between the individual and group insurance markets. I'm a retiree with coverage thru my ex-employer, and my premium for medical coverage via a BCBS plan went up about 1% for 2017. From $163 a month in 2016 to $165 in 2017. My premiums for prescription drug coverage and dental care are unchanged. I'm really curious to know if my experience regarding group coverage is similar to other folks out there.

I'm very thankful that I'm not at the mercy of the individual/ACA health insurance market. I feel like a very lucky dog...
Maybe you are not as lucky as you think. Employers typically pick up 70%-80% of the tab of the real cost. How does the employer get that expense back? One way is through reduced wages. (In the same way the government will pick up almost all the tab for the recent increases in ACA costs via credits, so the real increase in the premium paid by the individual is relatively small.) Premiums and deductibles have tripled in 15 years.
You may indeed be luckier than the average employee, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on your experience. (Hint: Try web searches.)
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

soboggled wrote:Employers typically pick up 70%-80% of the tab of the real cost. How does the employer get that expense back? One way is through reduced wages.
I think this is a twisted perspective. Wages are paid based on a competitive labor market. An employee's total compensation package includes wages and benefits (paid time off, health - dental - vision insurance, etc.).
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

munemaker wrote:
soboggled wrote:Employers typically pick up 70%-80% of the tab of the real cost. How does the employer get that expense back? One way is through reduced wages.
I think this is a twisted perspective. Wages are paid based on a competitive labor market. An employee's total compensation package includes wages and benefits (paid time off, health - dental - vision insurance, etc.).
Don't argue with me, argue with the National Bureau of Economic Research that found "the cost of increasing premiums is borne primarily by workers with employer-provided health insurance in the form of decreased wages."
http://www.nber.org/bah/spring05/w11160.html
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

munemaker wrote:I think this is a twisted perspective. Wages are paid based on a competitive labor market. An employee's total compensation package includes wages and benefits (paid time off, health - dental - vision insurance, etc.).
When I was in management we target our total compensation to be competitive. In some cases this meant that our wages (salaries) were lower than the competition because we offered a richer benefit plan.
delamer

Post by delamer »

soboggled wrote:
munemaker wrote:
Don't argue with me, argue with the National Bureau of Economic Research that found "the cost of increasing premiums is borne primarily by workers with employer-provided health insurance in the form of decreased wages."
http://www.nber.org/bah/spring05/w11160.html

The issue really isn't arguable -- employers are concerned about the total cost of compensating employees, which includes wages and benefits like health insurance. So if they think an employee is worth $30 an hour to them, then if health insurance costs $1 they'll pay wages of $29 (assuming no other costs). But if health insurance is $3, then they'll only pay wages of $27.

I think munemaker's point -- with which I agree -- is that it isn't some kind of nefarious plot to reduce the employee's wages. It is math.
mwm158

Post by mwm158 »

deleted
Last edited by mwm158 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

However it is calculated (employer vs employee), I believe it is 100% a fact that where employers pay a portion of health insurance benefits, the lowest compensated (by salary/wages) employees getting health benefits are receiving a higher "subsidy" (as a percentage of income) than higher compensated employees.

So, for example, if "Pat" earns $30,000 per year (salary/wages) and "Chris" earns $60,000 - and each has the same health insurance costing (or valued) the company $6,000 each - then Pat is being compensated 20% more and Chris 10% more.
delamer

Post by delamer »

dm200 wrote:However it is calculated (employer vs employee), I believe it is 100% a fact that where employers pay a portion of health insurance benefits, the lowest compensated (by salary/wages) employees getting health benefits are receiving a higher "subsidy" (as a percentage of income) than higher compensated employees.

So, for example, if "Pat" earns $30,000 per year (salary/wages) and "Chris" earns $60,000 - and each has the same health insurance costing (or valued) the company $6,000 each - then Pat is being compensated 20% more and Chris 10% more.
You math is right; does this "subsidy" difference bother you?

My earlier point is that (ignoring other benefits) this means that Pat is worth $36,000 to the employer and Chris is worth $66,000. I should point out that these are averages across many individuals and occupations, so no one person may be compensated exactly what they are worth.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

dm200 wrote:However it is calculated (employer vs employee), I believe it is 100% a fact that where employers pay a portion of health insurance benefits, the lowest compensated (by salary/wages) employees getting health benefits are receiving a higher "subsidy" (as a percentage of income) than higher compensated employees.

Yes, maybe. At my company, the employee portion was higher for higher compensated employees.
There was a graduated scale. I don't know whether this equalized things or just narrowed the difference.
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

CBO:
"Although employers directly pay most of the costs of their workers’ health insurance, the available evidence indicates that active workers—as a group—ultimately bear those costs."
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

jebmke wrote:

Yes, maybe. At my company, the employee portion was higher for higher compensated employees.
There was a graduated scale. I don't know whether this equalized things or just narrowed the difference.
This is true for me as well. As a highly compensated healthy employee I pay more. Sounds fair, doesn't it?
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

delamer wrote:
You math is right; does this "subsidy" difference bother you?
My earlier point is that (ignoring other benefits) this means that Pat is worth $36,000 to the employer and Chris is worth $66,000. I should point out that these are averages across many individuals and occupations, so no one person may be compensated exactly what they are worth.
No, does not bother me (in either direction) because to have such an opinion, I would need a lot more information.

I think, though, that in situations like this, one could conclude that companies might (depending on all the facts and circumstances) lean towards hiring fewer lower salary/wage employees with benefits if the higher compensated employees were much more productive/valuable.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

jebmke wrote:
Interesting and thanks. I had not either experienced that or heard of it. I actually experienced the opposite many years ago. When my position (for some bureaucratic reason) was reclassified as "management", I was then eligible for a 100% company paid "management physical".
catdude

Post by catdude »

sawhorse wrote:
BruDude wrote:Your retiree coverage is heavily subsidized by your former employer.
Most employers subsidize on a percentage basis, so if there were a large premium increase, the employee would feel it as much as the employer.

Some places haven't seen much if any in increases. Other places have seen insane increases. It's very geographical.

I think a lot is related to competition. In my area, which is a very high cost of living area, the premiums are lower, less than half as much in some cases, than in some low cost of living areas. There are 5 major insurers. Places that have only one or two major insurers are bound to have higher premiums and more increases.
That's the point I was trying to make. My premiums (or my share of them, to be more accurate) basically are staying flat, and meanwhile I keeping hearing about premiums under ACA going up over 100% in some areas. From what I gather, those huge increases are being driven by young healthy people declining to get insurance on the individual market. Evidently that's not a problem in the group market.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

johnny wrote:That's the point I was trying to make. My premiums (or my share of them, to be more accurate) basically are staying flat, and meanwhile I keeping hearing about premiums under ACA going up over 100% in some areas. From what I gather, those huge increases are being driven by young healthy people declining to get insurance on the individual market. Evidently that's not a problem in the group market.
I think a major contributor is the fact that people can be on their parents' plan until age 26 now.
fpr4

Post by fpr4 »

mwm158 wrote:I work for the federal government and just checked my basic BCBS plan and the premiums are going up 4%, but still no deductible and the co-pays haven't changed. Way better than last year, but still not great considering we haven't gotten a cost of living increase that comes close to matching inflation since 2010.
You don't think you're getting COL increases in thr form of super cheap healthcare costs when the typical private sector employees are going up 50%+ in premiums and 20%+ in deductibles?
fpr4

Post by fpr4 »

johnny wrote:
sawhorse wrote:

That's the point I was trying to make. My premiums (or my share of them, to be more accurate) basically are staying flat, and meanwhile I keeping hearing about premiums under ACA going up over 100% in some areas. From what I gather, those huge increases are being driven by young healthy people declining to get insurance on the individual market. Evidently that's not a problem in the group market.
In general, I don't think very many people at all decline their employers compensating them with health coverage. If you can't see why from this thread, then...
Quark

Post by Quark »

midareff wrote:There is no place to hide.....
There's most of the civilized world.
mwm158

Post by mwm158 »

deleted
Last edited by mwm158 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catdude

Post by catdude »

fpr4 wrote:
johnny wrote:
sawhorse wrote:

In general, I don't think very many people at all decline their employers compensating them with health coverage. If you can't see why from this thread, then...
I don't understand the point of your post. But perhaps you were responding to other folks, and not to me?
fpr4

Post by fpr4 »

johnny wrote:
fpr4 wrote:
johnny wrote:
sawhorse wrote:

I don't understand the point of your post. But perhaps you were responding to other folks, and not to me?
No. I was responding to you.

You said "evidently that's (young healthy people declining to get insurance) not a problem in the group market." Which is a pretty illogical statement. Why would someone decline insurance coverage when it's mandated that their employer subsidize at least half of it?

Those of us that buy insurance on the open market are getting creamed. People that buy insurance for employees are getting creamed. Employees of large corporations and the government are sitting back and complaining about 5% premium increases. That's the disconnect here.
fpr4

Post by fpr4 »

mwm158 wrote:
fpr4 wrote:You don't think you're getting COL increases in thr form of super cheap healthcare costs when the typical private sector employees are going up 50%+ in premiums and 20%+ in deductibles?
The government pays $450 a month for my insurance (75% of the total cost), and it has increased 4% for next year. That is an extra $216 a year they will pay. That is about a 0.2% COL increase for me. So no, I don't think that makes up for the effects of inflation on my salary.
$108k (96 percentile individual income) for the federal government with awesome benefits package and you're complaining? What do you do?

Just because your personal premiums only rose 4% doesn't mean that's a market rate.
catdude

Post by catdude »

fpr4 wrote:
johnny wrote:
fpr4 wrote:
johnny wrote:
sawhorse wrote:

No. I was responding to you.

You said "evidently that's (young healthy people declining to get insurance) not a problem in the group market." Which is a pretty illogical statement. Why would someone decline insurance coverage when it's mandated that their employer subsidize at least half of it?

Those of us that buy insurance on the open market are getting creamed. People that buy insurance for employees are getting creamed. Employees of large corporations and the government are sitting back and complaining about 5% premium increases. That's the disconnect here.
Ahh, OK, now I understand. I didn't express myself very well in my previous post. What I meant to say is that in the employer-based group insurance market, young people make up a sizable chunk of the insurance pool -- unlike in the individual market, where evidently healthy young people are opting to pay a penalty rather than get insurance. You're right, it's not an issue of people declining to accept insurance offered by their employers.

I'm certainly not complaining about my 1% premium increase...
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

We keep paying more and more for less and less. It's a U.S. health care systemic problem. Lots of good articles like this one from PBS try to get a the root of the problem, I won't go any further, as macro economic issues must always move in the political arena to make any changes.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/hea ... countries/
Oak&Elm

Post by Oak&Elm »

Premiums are not going up for everyone... my sister's loser boyfriend quit working at 50 years old, he's now 57, flat broke and you guessed it, has free medical insurance through MN Care.
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

fpr4 wrote:
mwm158 wrote:
fpr4 wrote:You don't think you're getting COL increases in thr form of super cheap healthcare costs when the typical private sector employees are going up 50%+ in premiums and 20%+ in deductibles?
The government pays $450 a month for my insurance (75% of the total cost), and it has increased 4% for next year. That is an extra $216 a year they will pay. That is about a 0.2% COL increase for me. So no, I don't think that makes up for the effects of inflation on my salary.
$108k (96 percentile individual income) for the federal government with awesome benefits package and you're complaining? What do you do?

Just because your personal premiums only rose 4% doesn't mean that's a market rate.
On no other issue are the bogus claims, whining and exaggerations so great.
1.Yes, by any comparative standard, Federal employees have a great deal on health insurance.
2. No, "typical private sector employees" are NOT seeing increases of "50%+ in premiums and 20%+ in deductibles".
Health care cost in the US is a serious ongoing problem. In 2017: Those with insurance through employers are 95% of non-retirees; they will see increases averaging 6%. The other 5% that depends on ACA will see average increases of 25% but in most cases that will be covered by increased subsidies and most can change plans. The longer term problem of ACA in many states in the shrinking number of insurers.
fpr4

Post by fpr4 »

soboggled wrote:
fpr4 wrote:
mwm158 wrote:

On no other issue are the bogus claims, whining and exaggerations so great.
1.Yes, by any comparative standard, Federal employees have a great deal on health insurance.
2. No, "typical private sector employees" are NOT seeing increases of "50%+ in premiums and 20%+ in deductibles".
Health care cost in the US is a serious ongoing problem. In 2017: Those with insurance through employers are 95% of non-retirees; they will see increases averaging 6%. The other 5% that depends on ACA will see average increases of 25% but in most cases that will be covered by increased subsidies and most can change plans. The longer term problem of ACA in many states in the shrinking number of insurers.
I meant people on the exchange.

7 states are going up more than 50%. You can't change plans because most are being eliminated (hmo's are basically the only thing left), you have to have a silver plan to get the premium, and as you pointed out, insurance companies are leaving in droves.

This whole thing was a half measure. You can't force demand for a product, put a cost ceiling on that product and then expect companies to keep offering the product.

And I haven't seen anything that has said the subsidies are going up for 2017. Feel free to post a link indicating otherwise.