TaxAct pre-purchase discount

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
*3!4!/5!

Re: TaxAct pre-purchase discount

Postby *3!4!/5! » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Maybe they figure that if they double their prices and lose 30% of their customers, then they come out ahead.

Toons

Postby Toons » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:00 pm

TaxAct
Estimate Your Taxes :happy
https://www.taxact.com/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Blues

Postby Blues » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:05 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:Maybe they figure that if they double their prices and lose 30% of their customers, then they come out ahead.

As of this morning when I logged in on the site there's still no indication of just what the "low price" I "locked in" last May actually is for the online version (federal / state).

It would be nice to have something to compare it to but it seems to me, (from what I see online), that they are trying to come in just around or under H&R Block, TurboTax etc.

Could be that the days of its being a great value may be behind us.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Toons

Postby Toons » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:14 pm

FYI :happy

"Available packages* for preparing your personal return(s) are:
Free
Plus
Premium"

https://www.taxact.com/tsupport/FAQDisp ... estion=349
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Blues

Postby Blues » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:24 pm

$43 ($18 Federal / $25 State) hardly seems a bargain considering that it's over three times what I paid for the combined product last year.

Hopefully that won't be the "low price" I locked in six months ago or I'll be searching for a more competitive priced product...assuming there is one.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Drew31

Postby Drew31 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Blues wrote:$43 ($18 Federal / $25 State) hardly seems a bargain considering that it's over three times what I paid for the combined product last year.

Hopefully that won't be the "low price" I locked in six months ago or I'll be searching for a more competitive priced product...assuming there is one.

Freetaxusa is one I'm researching. Free federal + 12.95 for state (includes efile). Assuming I'm reading them correctly.

Mlm

Postby Mlm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Blues wrote:$43 ($18 Federal / $25 State) hardly seems a bargain considering that it's over three times what I paid for the combined product last year.

I think the $25 is for federal and state
Reality has a way of catching up with you

tj

Postby tj » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:55 pm

It's $45 today. Might as well buy H&R Block which allegedly imports more brokerages.

https://www.taxact.com/products/next-year

Blues

Postby Blues » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:15 pm

Mlm wrote:

Respectfully, Mary, I believe that $25 is the additional charge for adding a state return to your federal return.

Mlm

Postby Mlm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:22 pm

Blues wrote:Respectfully, Mary, I believe that $25 is the additional charge for adding a state return to your federal return.

:shock: :shock: :shock: I'm shocked

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:26 pm

zeusrock1 wrote:I just received a TaxAct email this morning that says to watch my inbox for a special Cyber Monday Offer next month. Looks like I'll wait and see what it says then.
ray.james wrote:I got another email to watch out for cyber Monday sale.

DIY tax software – like TaxAct!
With 2016 quickly coming to a close, you know the time is coming to make sure Uncle Sam is properly paid.

Tax time comes the same time every year, but why wait to purchase the software at full price if you can get it at a discount?

Keep your eyes peeled for emails with discount codes offering significant savings.

Insider tip: there’s a good chance you may be able to take advantage of those offers before Cyber Monday even starts!

Hmmm, it could be that they're jacking up the sticker price way up, so that they can offer "deep discounts" at various times.

Toons

Postby Toons » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Blues wrote:
Mlm wrote:

Respectfully, Mary, I believe that $25 is the additional charge for adding a state return to your federal return.

Respectfully,,,
You are Correct :happy

Blues

Postby Blues » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:41 pm

Drew31 wrote:

Freetaxusa is one I'm researching. Free federal + 12.95 for state (includes efile). Assuming I'm reading them correctly.

Thanks for the info, Drew. I went ahead and set up an account with them. (Can't hurt since they don't ask for any money up front.)
I didn't opt for the "deluxe" as I don't require any hand holding and am pretty familiar with the forms I create yearly.

BTW, the site was able to import my TaxAct 2015 pdf file and extract basic info from it. (They say it's in beta and only takes basic info. There were no errors with the data they displayed following the import.)

So, if TaxAct decides to up the price beyond what I consider reasonable...at least I now have an alternative.

Thanks again, Drew. I wasn't familiar with this service.

runner26

Postby runner26 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:02 pm

I just checked again for the TaxAct PLUS Download which the other day showed $45 to me, is now showing $40. Still much more than the $22 I paid last year. Will check back cyber Monday.

ryman554

Cyber monday hit -- $35.50 fed + state for Plus

Postby ryman554 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:50 am

Dunno if it's such a great deal now, but the cyber monday sales are on. If you don't have a better price and want to keep options open, go grab it now.

Plus is $10.50 and Premium is $21 -- along with a $25 state filing fee.

That state filing fee is outrageous, and I will be telling them that, but for $35, it will do for 2016 taxes.

Da5id

Postby Da5id » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:12 am

https://www.taxact.com/tax-preparation/

Says that for the download version it is $28 for 5 federal/one state. Am I missing something? State e-file is extra, but you can mail it in for postage cost :)

Blues

Re: Cyber monday hit -- $35.50 fed + state for Plus

Postby Blues » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:19 am

ryman554 wrote:Dunno if it's such a great deal now, but the cyber monday sales are on. If you don't have a better price and want to keep options open, go grab it now.

That state filing fee is outrageous, and I will be telling them that, but for $35, it will do for 2016 taxes.

There's still no mention on the site as of this morning when I logged in regarding what the "locked in" price will be.

Suffice it to say that if it's $35 (for federal & state) I'll be beginning a new tradition with FreeTaxUSA. They have all the forms I need to prepare our federal and state returns for a total cost of $12.95 with no up-charge (unless you want to pay an extra $6 or so for higher priority customer support, ability to file an amended return at no additional cost and audit protection).

And if you only need to do a federal return it's free altogether regardless of forms or complexity.

It was very easy to transfer data from the TaxAct pdf file and manually enter data on the couple of forms that did not transfer the info over automatically.

Even if you add the "deluxe" features, you're still looking at half the price of TaxAct "Plus" (federal and state) with the Black Friday offer.

pshonore

Postby pshonore » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:47 am

Da5id wrote:https://www.taxact.com/tax-preparation/

Says that for the download version it is $28 for 5 federal/one state. Am I missing something? State e-file is extra, but you can mail it in for postage cost :)

I think the $10.50 is for the Online version of Plus; $28 for the download version. Hopefully I am wrong.

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:27 pm

pshonore wrote:
Da5id wrote:https://www.taxact.com/tax-preparation/

I think the $10.50 is for the Online version of Plus; $28 for the download version. Hopefully I am wrong.

Interesting. I went to
and it said download version of "Plus" (Includes 5 federal e-files and 1 state return. State e-file additional.) is $40.

Then I went to https://www.taxact.com/ and it said "cyber monday sale: 30% off".

Then I clicked on "View 2016 Download Products" which also went to
but now it said download version of "Plus" (Includes 5 federal e-files and 1 state return. State e-file additional.) is $28.

Then I deleted all taxact.com cookies and reloaded page
and it said $40 again. It also said $40 when I clicked on the "View 2016 Download Products" link on https://www.taxact.com/

But when I reloaded https://www.taxact.com/ (presumably recreating some cookie) and clicked on the "View 2016 Download Products" link it said $28 again.

mikep

Re: Cyber monday hit -- $35.50 fed + state for Plus

Postby mikep » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:28 pm

Blues wrote:
ryman554 wrote:Dunno if it's such a great deal now, but the cyber monday sales are on. If you don't have a better price and want to keep options open, go grab it now.

There's still no mention on the site as of this morning when I logged in regarding what the "locked in" price will be.

Suffice it to say that if it's $35 (for federal & state) I'll be beginning a new tradition with FreeTaxUSA. They have all the forms I need to prepare our federal and state returns for a total cost of $12.95 with no up-charge (unless you want to pay an extra $6 or so for higher priority customer support, ability to file an amended return at no additional cost and audit protection).

And if you only need to do a federal return it's free altogether regardless of forms or complexity.

It was very easy to transfer data from the TaxAct pdf file and manually enter data on the couple of forms that did not transfer the info over automatically.

Even if you add the "deluxe" features, you're still looking at half the price of TaxAct "Plus" (federal and state) with the Black Friday offer.

I will be using www.olt.com for $8 (or $10 not sure). There was a previous post that FreeTaxUSA can't handle HSA's in CA correctly, gives me pause about them. viewtopic.php?p=2233244#p2233244

mikep

Postby mikep » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:38 pm

On another note, is there any way to see what price you have locked in already? All I see when I login and go to "my return details" is "low price locked in". I don't want to lock in something higher than that, since I think whatever I did before was lower than $46 for online premium + state.

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:06 pm

mikep wrote:On another note, is there any way to see what price you have locked in already? All I see when I login and go to "my return details" is "low price locked in". I don't want to lock in something higher than that, since I think whatever I did before was lower than $46 for online premium + state.

I just log in and go to "Orders and Downloads" and I see my pre-order for "TaxAct 2016 Plus Edition"(with 1 state, but not state e-file) for $23.99.

I'm puzzled what you (and another poster) could have done to "lock in" without clearly seeing an explicit price during the ordering process. Did you actually order any product (entering credit card details etc)?

Blues

Postby Blues » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:12 pm

mikep wrote:On another note, is there any way to see what price you have locked in already? All I see when I login and go to "my return details" is "low price locked in". I don't want to lock in something higher than that, since I think whatever I did before was lower than $46 for online premium + state.

That's the only message I have when I log in...and when I called last month I was told they didn't have prices set on the online versions at that time.

BTW, the FreeTaxUSA site provides info about the handful of tax situations they are not equipped to handle. It may be prudent to email them and ask if there are other such situations.

Items NOT Supported
The following items are NOT supported with FreeTaxUSA:
Foreign employment income (Form 2555)
Nonresident alien returns (Form 1040NR)
At-risk limitations (Form 6198)
Installment sales (Form 6252)
Tax for children with more than $2,100 in investment income (Form 8615)
Prior year minimum tax credit (Form 8801)
Archer MSAs (Form 8853)

mikep

Postby mikep » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:15 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:

I just log in and go to "Orders and Downloads" and I see my pre-order for "TaxAct 2016 Plus Edition"(with 1 state, but not state e-file) for $23.99.

I'm puzzled what you (and another poster) could have done to "lock in" without clearly seeing an explicit price during the ordering process. Did you actually order any product (entering credit card details etc)?

I locked in a price that I saw on the screen after filing 2015 taxes, online premium with state definintely lower than $46. I did not note it thinking they would save it like they have for the previous 10 years.. live and learn.
Last edited by mikep on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blues

Postby Blues » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:17 pm

Mike, it looks like your OLT is even cheaper than FreeTaxUSA. Free federal for everyone and very low state charges.

Looks like the market is providing quite a few choices though I haven't read reviews of that service as yet.

mikep

Postby mikep » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Blues wrote:Mike, it looks like your OLT is even cheaper than FreeTaxUSA. Free federal for everyone and very low state charges.

Looks like the market is providing quite a few choices though I haven't read reviews of that service as yet.

This is a review from another boglehead. Seems like it is worth a try vs the taxact extortion.
viewtopic.php?t=163776

jhfenton

Postby jhfenton » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:26 pm

I don't see any price either. I paid $9.99 for TaxAct Premium last year. (Ohio's Department of Taxation has free online e-file ("I-file"), so I just pull the numbers from the TaxAct return, type them into the Ohio online return, and make sure they match.) If the federal Premium is more than $14.99 this year, I'll search for alternatives.

*3!4!/5! wrote:I just log in and go to "Orders and Downloads" and I see my pre-order for "TaxAct 2016 Plus Edition"(with 1 state, but not state e-file) for $23.99.

I'm using the online product. I don't see an Orders and Downloads option.

Edited to add: The only place I see prices (not in my Account section) shows Free ($0), Plus ($10.50), and Premium ($21). The only difference between Plus and Premium seems to be some Schs C and F guidance, so I will be fine with Plus. (It seems like Plus is a new tier.) The big difference would be the $25 state filing fee, but I can use Ohio's free I-file.

mikep

Postby mikep » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:05 pm

jhfenton wrote:

I don't see any price either. I paid $9.99 for TaxAct Premium last year. (Ohio's Department of Taxation has free online e-file ("I-file"), so I just pull the numbers from the TaxAct return, type them into the Ohio online return, and make sure they match.) If the federal Premium is more than $14.99 this year, I'll search for alternatives.

*3!4!/5! wrote:I just log in and go to "Orders and Downloads" and I see my pre-order for "TaxAct 2016 Plus Edition"(with 1 state, but not state e-file) for $23.99.

Edited to add: The only place I see prices (not in my Account section) shows Free ($0), Plus ($10.50), and Premium ($21). The only difference between Plus and Premium seems to be some Schs C and F guidance, so I will be fine with Plus. (It seems like Plus is a new tier.) The big difference would be the $25 state filing fee, but I can use Ohio's free I-file.

Is schedule C available with plus? I can live without the guidance, but we need to file sch C.

orlandoman

Postby orlandoman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:36 pm

Any concerns about 'online' tax services? They'd have a lot of information online that would be a prime target for hackers.
Subaru Ambassador in Central Florida

Eurookat

Postby Eurookat » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:12 pm

Just got an email for their cyber Monday deal. Geez even with the 30% off, the cost is still higher than last year!!!

Looks like it's going to cost me $28 for taxact plus.

Bob B

Postby Bob B » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:32 pm

orlandoman wrote:Any concerns about 'online' tax services? They'd have a lot of information online that would be a prime target for hackers.

I would say so. I am not about to put that information into their cloud. How good is their security? How good is their encryption? How well is it protected from employee's prying eyes? Too many questions and data breaches out there for my comfort.

They can't even make an understandable cyber Monday deal based on reading this thread. I'm going to trust them with my most personal financial information? Truth be told, I am a TaxAct customer, but I never have used their online version and never will.
Regards, | Bob |

mikep

Postby mikep » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:57 am

I just received this email:

Subject: Forget Cyber Monday - You Already Locked in Our Biggest Discount!

When you filed last year's return we offered you guaranteed savings on TaxAct 2016, which means you'll get TaxAct Premium Edition for 33% off. We're proud to be able to reward our loyal customers with the biggest possible savings, no Cyber Monday coupon required!

Seems strange. I guess I locked in a percentage discount not a real price. I thought I locked in a price.. if I read that correct I get 33% off the regular price of $30 + $25 state fee. Maybe is $20 + $25 state fee or $20 + $16.67 state fee. Still a lot more than last year.

jhfenton

Postby jhfenton » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:22 pm

mikep wrote:
jhfenton wrote:

Is schedule C available with plus? I can live without the guidance, but we need to file sch C.

It looks like Plus includes Schedule C, but without some of the guidance.

Blues

Postby Blues » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:52 pm

It looks pretty certain that my many years of using TaxAct are at an end. Even at a best price of $27 for federal / state filing for 2016 it's still more than double that of competing products. And so it goes...

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:23 pm

Blues wrote:It looks pretty certain that my many years of using TaxAct are at an end. Even at a best price of $27 for federal / state filing for 2016 it's still more than double that of competing products. And so it goes...

What are the "competing products" that are cheaper? And are they downloads or online?

Blues

Postby Blues » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:44 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:
Blues wrote:It looks pretty certain that my many years of using TaxAct are at an end. Even at a best price of $27 for federal / state filing for 2016 it's still more than double that of competing products. And so it goes...

What are the "competing products" that are cheaper? And are they downloads or online?

I have not done any research on desktop apps or programs as I switched to the online version a few years back.

Here are three examples I have looked at, all of which are significantly less expensive than TaxAct for online preparation of a federal and state return. In fact, if you only do a federal filing, I believe they are all free but you should verify for yourself.

freetaxusa.com

taxhawk.com

olt.com

Ethelred

Postby Ethelred » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:30 pm

Blues wrote:I have not done any research on desktop apps or programs as I switched to the online version a few years back.

Here are three examples I have looked at, all of which are significantly less expensive than TaxAct for online preparation of a federal and state return. In fact, if you only do a federal filing, I believe they are all free but you should verify for yourself.

freetaxusa.com

taxhawk.com

olt.com

To be fair to Taxact, they also have a free filing product, still, and with that, state returns are also free. The difference is that this product is only available for 1040EZ / 1040A returns. I'd actually argue that offer is much better aligned to help out people who most struggle to afford the cost, than the products you list above that are free for federal returns for a wider range of people, but state returns cost for everyone. You might be charged more for Taxact, but the people who most need the help are not.

That said, I agree that the big hikes in the cost of both state returns (which I don't want), and download (which I do), are very difficult to justify.

Blues

Postby Blues » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Don't get me wrong, Ethelred, I don't have an ax to grind, I've been very happy with TaxAct for over ten years up until now.
(Like I once was with Intuit's Quicken before their corporate antics pushed me away from their products, including TurboTax.)

I'm not suggesting that any of the alternatives I posted above are better choices for anyone else...and everyone should decide for themselves based upon their own set of needs or wants.

I'd have been happy to pay a few dollars more...say $20 instead of last year's $13.99. But I'm not going to pay double or even triple. My returns just aren't all that complicated nor time consuming. But that's me. As they say...YMMV.

Raladic

Postby Raladic » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:43 pm

I pre-ordered a few months ago at $23.99 for download Plus version.

More than last year, but still less than half of competing products..

Ethelred

Postby Ethelred » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:11 pm

Blues wrote:Don't get me wrong, Ethelred, I don't have an ax to grind, I've been very happy with TaxAct for over ten years up until now.
(Like I once was with Intuit's Quicken before their corporate antics pushed me away from their products, including TurboTax.)

I'm not suggesting that any of the alternatives I posted above are better choices for anyone else...and everyone should decide for themselves based upon their own set of needs or wants.

I'd have been happy to pay a few dollars more...say $20 instead of last year's $13.99. But I'm not going to pay double or even triple. My returns just aren't all that complicated nor time consuming. But that's me. As they say...YMMV.

As I say, I mostly agree. I'm surprised by the size of the increases, but I've been using them for the last three years, and I will most likely lock in Plus download at $28 this weekend. I just need to decide if we need Schedule C, C-EZ or neither for 2016. Schedule C is in Premium only, and I suspect that extra cost might push me to a competitor.

That said, Taxact are trying to position themselves against Turbotax and H&R Block, and of those three, Taxact are still by far the most competitively priced. The Turbotax website won't even tell me how much their online products cost!

Mlm

Postby Mlm » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:22 pm

I received an email from Tax Act today
"Forget Cyber Monday - You already locked in your low price! "

I am sure that I locked in when I filed 2015 but i have no idea at what price. Guess I will have to wait and see.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:33 pm

Check your TaxAct login account, which tracks your online orders.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Mlm

Postby Mlm » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Check your TaxAct login account, which tracks your online orders.

Been there done that. I can't locate that information. Any clues are appreciated.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:49 pm

I found my order. Sign-in to taxact.com (pass the "I'm not a robot" and enter the two-factor authentication code they'll send you). In the top-right corner, click on "My Account", then the "Orders and Downloads" box on the lower-left of the page.

TaxAct 2016 Plus Edition 2016 $23.99 Payment Pending
TaxAct 2016 Pennsylvania 1040 Edition 2016 $0.00 Payment Pending
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

letsgobobby

Postby letsgobobby » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:21 am

happy with plus for $10.50.

think i had premium last year, but i don't own a business, just a rental. hope the plus is adequate.

i don't think online is such a big deal. in this day and age i just assume all my data is already out there.

Eurookat

Postby Eurookat » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:45 am

Clicked on the "Lock in Now" button and it takes me to a blank screen. I see a "close" button and nothing else. This is after me logging in.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:33 pm

Try enabling all cookies and disabling ad blockers - your browser's "Private Browsing" mode might help out here.

Call_Me_Op

Postby Call_Me_Op » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:16 am

The best deal I could get from Taxact for the Plus edition is $10.50 for Federal (30% off with early lock-in) plus an extra $25 for a state. Did I miss something? Seems like the price has gone up substantially compared to last year.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

Blues

Postby Blues » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:32 am

Call_Me_Op wrote:The best deal I could get from Taxact for the Plus edition is $10.50 for Federal (30% off with early lock-in) plus an extra $25 for a state. Did I miss something? Seems like the price has gone up substantially compared to last year.

Please read the posts above. The matter has been addressed by many of us reporting what we have found out by logging into the site or calling customer service.

dratkinson

Cyber Monday sale

Postby dratkinson » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:15 pm

Received an email invite to come back to TaxAct (last used 2013TY), so this may be the reason for the $0 email price.

But in case others can use it, the email link resolved to: https://www.taxact.com/applications/add ... 0103242901

OLT. I've used OLT for the past two years, and will use it again for 2016TY. Why? OLT is faster than all other products I've used (and it worked with my old PC). They have my information from last year so it will be a little quicker after that information is imported. (Note: Should start OLT from the IRS freefile webpage to ensure you get the referral link to freefile.)

OLT review. I reviewed my use of OLT, here, for 2014TY. Can search for it if interested.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”