TaxAct pre-purchase discount

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Blues

Re: TaxAct pre-purchase discount

Postby Blues » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:51 pm

Thanks for the link, d.r. I used it to log in and it shows "low price locked in" as of today's date and time.

(This in addition to the undisclosed low price locked in promise from May.)

Now we'll see whether they honor the zero federal, zero state price in the ad.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Saving$

Postby Saving$ » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Still looking for the prelim version that has historically been available in November. When I go to the TaxAct site, it seems the prelim version is only some sort of online fill in the blank. In previous years, it was the download version, which imported the previous years data. The usefulness was I could take that data, edit if necessary, and then still have time in the current tax year to make adjustments. This was one of the benefits of TaxAct. If the prelim version is no longer going to be available for download soon enough to act on the results within the tax year, and the price is going up, TaxAct is just like all the other products. I've consistently used TaxAct since tax year 2002; unless something changes, 2016 may be the last.

Also, the website currently says the download versions are $0/$40/$55. $55 if you need schedule C, which includes 5 federal e-files, and one state return but no state e-files. Given this years price increases, I would not be surprised if the state efile prices are also ridiculous...if so, I'll be using the USPS...

Postby 2015 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Saving$ wrote:Still looking for the prelim version that has historically been available in November. When I go to the TaxAct site, it seems the prelim version is only some sort of online fill in the blank. In previous years, it was the download version, which imported the previous years data. The usefulness was I could take that data, edit if necessary, and then still have time in the current tax year to make adjustments. This was one of the benefits of TaxAct. If the prelim version is no longer going to be available for download soon enough to act on the results within the tax year, and the price is going up, TaxAct is just like all the other products. I've consistently used TaxAct since tax year 2002; unless something changes, 2016 may be the last.

Also, the website currently says the download versions are $0/$40/$55. $55 if you need schedule C, which includes 5 federal e-files, and one state return but no state e-files. Given this years price increases, I would not be surprised if the state efile prices are also ridiculous...if so, I'll be using the USPS...

Here's the release dates for 2016:

https://www.taxact.com/support/50/2016/release-date-of-preview-and-final-version

Saving$

Postby Saving$ » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:50 pm

Yes. That states "early December" and downloadable. It's 12/4/16, which is early December and the thing is not yet available...

runner26

Postby runner26 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:10 pm

I checked, and I downloaded on 12/1 last year. H&R was avail end of last month and Turbo on 12/1, taxact is slipping while jacking up the price quite a bit. Management should be concerned.

runner26

Postby runner26 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:48 pm

Preview TaxAct NOW AVAILABLE for download.

Ethelred

Postby Ethelred » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:52 pm

runner26 wrote:Preview TaxAct NOW AVAILABLE for download.

Excellent! Thanks for letting everyone know.

I need to do the preliminary calculations to see if bunching deductions is worthwhile, or if AMT will eat all of the gain.

mikep

Re: Cyber Monday sale

Postby mikep » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:35 pm

dratkinson wrote:Image

Received an email invite to come back to TaxAct (last used 2013TY), so this may be the reason for the $0 email price.

But in case others can use it, the email link resolved to: https://www.taxact.com/applications/add ... 0103242901

OLT. I've used OLT for the past two years, and will use it again for 2016TY. Why? OLT is faster than all other products I've used (and it worked with my old PC). They have my information from last year so it will be a little quicker after that information is imported. (Note: Should start OLT from the IRS freefile webpage to ensure you get the referral link to freefile.)

OLT review. I reviewed my use of OLT, here, for 2014TY. Can search for it if interested.

Thanks .. clicking on this added some promo codes to my cart : CYBERMONDAY16 and WELCOMEBACK16 which appear to drop the price to $0. However after I login and enter my name and address, it jumps back up to $55.. I try a new account and it still is $55. :( Did anyone else get this to work?

Incase anyone is buying the download version, going through ebates gets you another 7.5% cash back.

Ethelred

Postby Ethelred » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:42 pm

mikep wrote:Thanks .. clicking on this added some promo codes to my cart : CYBERMONDAY16 and WELCOMEBACK16 which appear to drop the price to $0. However after I login and enter my name and address, it jumps back up to $55.. I try a new account and it still is $55. :( Did anyone else get this to work?

I wouldn't expect it to work, since it says that offer expired a week ago.

mikep

Postby mikep » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:47 pm

Ethelred wrote:
mikep wrote:Thanks .. clicking on this added some promo codes to my cart : CYBERMONDAY16 and WELCOMEBACK16 which appear to drop the price to $0. However after I login and enter my name and address, it jumps back up to $55.. I try a new account and it still is $55. :( Did anyone else get this to work?

I wouldn't expect it to work, since it says that offer expired a week ago.

I wouldn't either, but figured it didn't hurt to try. Then I got excited when I saw $0 in my cart.. then bummed after I entered my info and back to $55.

jasc15

Postby jasc15 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:49 pm

With respect to some posters' concerns about data security using the online version instead of the download version, would there be any difference? Even with the download version, wouldn't your information still pass through TaxAct's servers?

mikep

Postby mikep » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:05 pm

Taxact online is available now. I see my low price locked in, when I filed last year, is at $27.99 Federal and $0 state. I had another account setup at one point to get some deal, that one shows $19.99 federal and $14.99 state. Rather than paying taxact $28, I'll probably go to FreetaxUSA through ebates. 25% cash back on $12.95 + 10% off with code FREETAXUSA10 drops the total price to $8.41! That's lower than OLT which is $9.95.

pshonore

Postby pshonore » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:48 pm

jasc15 wrote:With respect to some posters' concerns about data security using the online version instead of the download version, would there be any difference? Even with the download version, wouldn't your information still pass through TaxAct's servers?
It certainly would if you efile your return with them, but NOT if you mail it in. The last time I looked, efile "facilitators" are also required to keep your data for a least a couple of years as well so its not a "pass through".

Rainmaker41

Postby Rainmaker41 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:40 pm

FYI

Free tax filing for everyone from Credit Karma:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurengensl ... 65bd0e3b3d
My username is not about money, but is my old online gaming username. I can't say that I make a great deal of money; I just hate spending it. Marrying the most loving woman in the world October 2017.

mikep

Postby mikep » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:53 pm

Rainmaker41 wrote:FYI

Free tax filing for everyone from Credit Karma:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurengensl ... 65bd0e3b3d

With data mining of your tax return to sell you financial products/services on the side..

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Anyone see a CD version of TA2016?
4 buckets: SS+pension;defer'd GLWB VA & FI annty, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK on 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

clip651

Postby clip651 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:41 pm

itstoomuch wrote:Anyone see a CD version of TA2016?

I ordered a DVD-rom one a week or two ago. It was an extra 5.99 for postage compared to the download only version. I think to start I put the download product in the cart, but before checkout there was an option to pick the DVD from a dropdown and have it mailed.

Spirit Rider

Postby Spirit Rider » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:24 pm

I logged into my TaxAct account and it shows $27.99 locked in Premium federal/state from last year and $0.00 locked in Premium federal/state from the link provided on Cyber Monday.

Thanks dratkinson! I like free.

ryman554

$0 will likely not be honored for returning customers.

Postby ryman554 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:11 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:I logged into my TaxAct account and it shows $27.99 locked in Premium federal/state from last year and $0.00 locked in Premium federal/state from the link provided on Cyber Monday.

Thanks dratkinson! I like free.

It won't stay that way. That's what mine showed too, but I made the mistake of importing my stuff from last year and it shot up to $15.00. (with $25 state)

What's worse, my $10.50 lockin shot up to $13.50 when I did the same. And I can't copy what I did on my other return. Horrible.

Perhaps don't take advantage of the import feature and you may skate by....

I am now done with this company.

John151

Postby John151 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:27 am

The same thing happened to me—right after I praised TaxAct in a different post. Oh well. Maybe I’ll take a look at FreeTaxUSA.

ze233

Postby ze233 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:43 pm

Same here, been using TaxAct for the past 6 years, but going to switch this year due to the huge price jump.
It looks like TaxHawk.com, the same owners as FreeTaxUsa, is offering New Customers free Federal and one Free state.
I am going to try them this year.

aaronb

Postby aaronb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Got an offer a few days ago for 20% off the "Plus" edition of TaxAct 2016 (online). While 13+25 = $38 is notably more than the $14 I paid last year, it's not as bad as the $62 I'd be paying through TT, I'm familiar with and generally trust the service, and most importantly I won't have my tax info stored at yet another online tax site, providing yet another attack surface.

Plus I get to short-circuit several hours of hemming, hawing, and comparing other tools. :annoyed If the price goes up yet again... then maybe it'll be worth some hemming, hawing, and data exposure risk... or I'll go back to filling and printing PDFs.

cparke

Postby cparke » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:29 pm

It's tax filing day, good time to revive this thread! :D

Last year, cost to prepare and file federal and state returns together with TaxAct was just $13.99 for me, based on the prior year's price lock (which they gave before they decided to discontinue Ultimate Bundle, I believe). That was probably the lowest price I ever paid for TaxAct.

In May 2016, as has become annually typical, I got an Email offer from TaxAct to sign-in and locked-in an undisclosed "low price" for filing the 2016 return the following year. Ok, why not?

In November 2016, when the black Friday promo came out that was posted here, I actually got a teaser Email from TaxAct saying, "Forget about Black Friday! You've already locked in your low price." Ok ... great! I was assuming that meant I had an even better deal because I chose it long ago, whatever it is.

When 2016 tax filing opened, that price lock-in turned out to be $15 for the federal and $14.99 for the state (TaxAct Plus). That was not at all what I was expecting! More than double what I paid in the prior year. Still, it's better than what I recall TaxAct charging earlier today, which was something like $25 federal and $15 state ($40 total) for starting new TaxAct Plus returns.

There is a silver lining, however. This evening, I'm seeing $7.50 federal and $12.50 state ($20 total) for TaxAct Plus on the main site for last minute filers. Since I have only filed an extension return at this point, I tried to use their new link to start a new return at the new price. Used the same login I've always used too. And you know what? That actually worked! I now have two open unpaid returns for the TaxAct Plus product in the same login, with totally different filing prices is locked in, same SSN's inside both. I even could import last year's data into the new return too! I never would have suspected they'd allow that to happen.

Moral: TaxAct pricing is not fixed at all! Luckily, you can lock in several prices and just later choose which one is best to use.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:58 pm

^^^ Welcome! I don't see those prices, as I see $75 for TaxAct 2016 Plus :shock:. As there are only a few hours left to file, market price rises to meet buyer desperation. :)

My prior purchases of TaxAct (Federal with 5 free e-file returns + 1 state) were:
2014 - $28.99
2015 - $29.99
2016 - $23.99 - early-bird special promo price

The 2017 pre-purchase products are here: Pre-Order TaxAct Products. TaxAct Plus 2017 is going for $40.00.

If anyone sees a decent price drop, bump the thread.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Pajamas

Postby Pajamas » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:01 pm

I paid $0 for TaxAct this year for e-filing federal and state through IRS Free File.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/free-file-do-yo ... s-for-free

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:19 pm

What bothers me is I don't want to waste time looking for a deal, but I don't want to be a sucker either. Pricing shenanigans put me off the product altogether.

ETA Actually I think I'll be going for Free File even though I prefer download to online.

Spirit Rider

Postby Spirit Rider » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Last year I waited towards the end of the tax filing season and was rewarded of a special offer of $13.99 for TaxAct Premium with state included. At the time I "locked-in" a special price for 2016. Which turned out to be a not too bad, but not so great $27.99 for Premium with state.

Earlier in 2017, I found a link for $24.99 and locked that in. I decided to wait until the end of the tax filing season again. On 3/21, I found a special link on one of the deal sites for $10.00 for Premium with state and locked it in.

Something told me to still wait until the end of tax filing season. On 4/6, I received an email from TaxAct to get 50% off of your locked-in price if you checked-out today. Checked-out with 7.5% Ebates/2% CC cash back. Net cost ~= $4.50 for Premium with state.

I Filed 2 1/2 hours ago and will delete the other unused locked in returns when I get the federal and state confirmations. Hey, six hours before midnight, I'm early this year.

Sometimes it just pays to not be the early bird. However, you don't want to wait until the last minute unless you get some lower price locked in. TaxAct uses a Uber style surge pricing towards the end.

cparke

Postby cparke » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:48 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:Something told me to still wait until the end of tax filing season. On 4/6, I received an email from TaxAct to get 50% off of your locked-in price if you checked-out today. Checked-out with 7.5% Ebates/2% CC cash back. Net cost ~= $4.50 for Premium with state.

Looks like the $7.50 federal / $12.50 state price I got yesterday (and still see available today, Apr. 19th after tax day) is the result of promo cookie in my browser. On other browsers, I'm seeing a "normal" $37 federal / $38 state price. Yikes!

I saw the 50% off promo posted yesterday, but couldn't figure out where to put the code! How did that work? Where's the 7.5% Ebates promo? I haven't filed or paid yet. E-filing for 2016 is usually kept open until November.

Spirit Rider

Postby Spirit Rider » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:59 pm

The 50% promo was in an email from a couple of weeks ago.

I have the Ebates browser extension loaded and it just pops up when there is cashback available.

If you filed an extension you have to 10/16/17 to file.

cparke

Postby cparke » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 am

Spirit Rider wrote:If you filed an extension you have to 10/16/17 to file.

Yes, however if you are due a refund, and when using only the information returns that IRS has available to it indicates such, you really have up to 3 years to file and claim it (without interest). E-filing prior tax seasons also is usually not available from most vendors (TaxAct discontinues e-Filing in late October/November after the 6-month extension expires). Tax preparation software itself for past tax seasons itself is expensive. Finally, if you turn out to owe money to IRS instead (and didn't pay it by April 18, 2017 with the extension request), significant late filing fees, interest, and penalties will apply! So, best to get it done by October if not April!

Hub

Postby Hub » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:52 pm

This was the last year I will use TaxAct due to their substantial price increase and shenanigans.

Blues

Postby Blues » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Hub wrote:This was the last year I will use TaxAct due to their substantial price increase and shenanigans.

It may be the same here. I'm not a huge fan of jumping through hoops though I do like the product itself. I'd pay a reasonable fee without complaint.

To their credit, when I showed them a copy of the ad that I had used for a free TY 2016 filing of both federal & state, they honored the promotion and refunded my payment in full.

However, when I logged on to the site yesterday I no longer could find the location where one could "lock in" the lowest price for TY 2017. Instead, what I found was a button which could be activated for TaxAct to automatically provide the applicable state and local return package for the particular user ID I logged in under. Whether doing so will lock in the best price was not disclosed.

If anyone has any relevant info on whether there is a location to lock in like we used to do or if this "button" is all that is available, please chime in.

If it's going to be hoops again, however, I may just go with FreeTaxUSA or similar. My return isn't overly complicated so I should have some options.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Saving$

Postby Saving$ » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:30 pm

These pricing shenanigans are ridiculous. A three page thread to figure out the price of a product. This is worse than a used car.

From 2003 until this past year they offered a great product at a fair price, so I did not bother to shop the competition. But two fundamental things changed:
- Pricing shenanigans make me feel like they do not respect their customers, rather they are playing a shell game with the customers.
- Their website states TaxAct 2017 will not be available until January 2018. The November availability was a big draw - I'd do a trail run and adjust my withholdings to be sure I did not have to pay a penalty.

Thus, TaxAct has succeeded in losing my loyalty. I don't know if they will lose me as a customer, but it is a distinct possibility. There is no reason to stick with them as they no longer offer the early "preview" edition, and they don't care about their customers. Might as well go the lowest cost route. If it happens to be Tax Act, ok, but if not, so be it. Someone posted a link to free IRS form fill where the forms automatically do the calculations. I may try that next year. Free sounds good.

Postby 2015 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Saving$ wrote:These pricing shenanigans are ridiculous. A three page thread to figure out the price of a product. This is worse than a used car.

From 2003 until this past year they offered a great product at a fair price, so I did not bother to shop the competition. But two fundamental things changed:
- Pricing shenanigans make me feel like they do not respect their customers, rather they are playing a shell game with the customers.
- Their website states TaxAct 2017 will not be available until January 2018. The November availability was a big draw - I'd do a trail run and adjust my withholdings to be sure I did not have to pay a penalty.

Thus, TaxAct has succeeded in losing my loyalty. I don't know if they will lose me as a customer, but it is a distinct possibility. There is no reason to stick with them as they no longer offer the early "preview" edition, and they don't care about their customers. Might as well go the lowest cost route. If it happens to be Tax Act, ok, but if not, so be it. Someone posted a link to free IRS form fill where the forms automatically do the calculations. I may try that next year. Free sounds good.

I agree the pricing games are disappointing, but where do you get that they are eliminating preview versions? I see this for 2016, with no mention of eliminating it:

https://www.taxact.com/support/50/2016/release-date-of-preview-and-final-version

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:36 pm

2015 wrote:
Saving$ wrote:...Their website states TaxAct 2017 will not be available until January 2018. The November availability was a big draw - I'd do a trail run and adjust my withholdings to be sure I did not have to pay a penalty...

I agree the pricing games are disappointing, but where do you get that they are eliminating preview versions? I see this for 2016, with no mention of eliminating it:

They used to have the preview available by October (2014 and before), then November for 2015, then December for 2016, and maybe it won't be available before the next January from now on. Being able to do a tentative return and do some year end planning was a pretty good feature. Looks like it's gone now. :(

Saving$

Postby Saving$ » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:04 pm

2015 wrote:I agree the pricing games are disappointing, but where do you get that they are eliminating preview versions? I see this for 2016, with no mention of eliminating it:

This says 2017 will be available January 2018:
https://www.taxact.com/products/next-year

Disappointing.

Blues

Postby Blues » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:10 pm

Saving$ wrote:
2015 wrote:I agree the pricing games are disappointing, but where do you get that they are eliminating preview versions? I see this for 2016, with no mention of eliminating it:

Disappointing.

If $40 is the pre-order price for the "Plus" edition I'll definitely be moving on. I don't see any particular value at that price point.

Saving$

Postby Saving$ » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:21 pm

Blues wrote:If $40 is the pre-order price for the "Plus" edition I'll definitely be moving on. I don't see any particular value at that price point.

Agreed. To make it worse, if you need a Schedule C, your price goes from $40 to $55.
And those are the "discounted" costs if you preorder. Per this link, the undiscounted costs are $75 and $85, respectively: https://www.taxact.com/products/next-year

Of course, who really knows what the real cost is...if this year is any indication, there will be all sorts of pricing schemes. Really distasteful for a product that handles computation of taxes, and has access to your private information.

Postby 2015 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:30 pm

Saving$ wrote:

Disappointing.

I'm still not convinced there won't be a preview edition in December, but who knows? :annoyed AFICT, the problem for those of us who download is there isn't a cheaper product available at the $40 price point. If anyone has been able to find one, by all means please post.

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:58 pm

^^ "preview edition in December" is too late as far as I'm concerned. In my mind the feature has simply disappeared.

Postby 2015 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:23 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:^^ "preview edition in December" is too late as far as I'm concerned. In my mind the feature has simply disappeared.

Yes, I remember in 2016 preview was available much earlier--in October IIRC. I can still use the preview in December (I did this year) for two reasons: that's when I do my roth recharacterizations (I keep conversions/recharacterizations in the same year for simplicity), and I still use it for tax modelling purposes. The ability to start taxes early is a plus as well, but I suppose I could live without it. Frustrating is were it not for the tax modelling, I wouldn't need the download version, and could use the online version through the IRS program for free.

What are you going to do? I've personally been unable to find an alternative to TA download. :annoyed

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:54 pm

2015 wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:^^ "preview edition in December" is too late as far as I'm concerned. In my mind the feature has simply disappeared.
Yes, I remember in 2016 preview was available much earlier--in October IIRC. I can still use the preview in December (I did this year) for two reasons: that's when I do my roth recharacterizations (I keep conversions/recharacterizations in the same year for simplicity), and I still use it for tax modelling purposes. The ability to start taxes early is a plus as well, but I suppose I could live without it. Frustrating is were it not for the tax modelling, I wouldn't need the download version, and could use the online version through the IRS program for free.

What are you going to do? I've personally been unable to find an alternative to TA download. :annoyed

I'm not sure what I will do. I'd like to know the answer to the question: "What is the difference between downloaded and online tax software (any brand)?" but thought I should do that in a separate thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=217239

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”