TaxAct pre-purchase discount

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Saving$

TaxAct pre-purchase discount

Post by Saving$ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:59 pm

I used to get an email from TaxAct in early summer offering pre-purchase of next years version at a considerable discount. I did not receive this offer this past summer - I searched my emails to confirm. Did anyone else receive this offer, or has TaxAct discontinued this program? If not, does anyone know if it is still possible to get in on the pre-purchase pricing?

They also provided an early release version in November so you could do a dry run of your taxes before the end of the year. Does anyone know if they will still do this?

itstoomuch

Re: TaxAct pre-purchase discount

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:02 pm

Alas, TaxAct, was sold to InfoSys. 2015(?).
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:07 pm

I tend to ignore my emails.
I use my 2015 software to test 2016. I don't think our current Congress have done much to change tax code. Test runs using 2015 software will be close enough. :wink:
I have always bought the disk version and keep a file on flash. :oops: I got a stack of TaxAct and its previous version since 1988(?). :oops:
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:10 pm

I've been a happy TaxAct user since 2003, and had not realized the company had been sold. When I downloaded the software last year, they indicated there were now several levels or versions of the software, at different price points. As I had already prepaid, I received the version with the most functionality, so I did not worry about it.

Per Wikipedia, "InfoSpace changed its name to Blucora and NASDAQ symbol from INSP to BCOR on June 7, 2012. This event reflected the company's change as the owner of two online businesses, after its acquisition of TaxACT in January 2012, and distinguishes the parent company from its search business operating unit, which is called InfoSpace." Seems the new ownership waited until early 2016 to implement changes to the pricing structure.

I still find it odd that they would not try to pre-sell a longtime user - seems like a good way to maintain an existing customer base who has been trained to do things a certain way...

Jacotus

Post by Jacotus » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:36 pm

I had happily been using TaxAct since around 2008. It had been around $17 for federal and state filing. This year, doing my taxes in late March or early April, I was surprised to see the price had gone up to about $50. I paid it because I didn't feel at the time like looking for alternatives, but I will not be using it again at that price.
Last edited by Jacotus on Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eurookat

Post by Eurookat » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:41 pm

The price hike may force me to look elsewhere. I may try H&R Block's software for this coming tax season.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:19 pm

If you file an extension, you can often get good deals on tax software packaged in physical boxes after the deadline.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:40 am

A while ago I had also been wondering why I didn't get an email from TaxAct in early June (as I had for several years) offering pre-purchase of next years version at a discount.

So I looked around the website and found this page
"Pre-Order TaxAct Products"
https://www.taxact.com/products/nextyeartaxact.asp

I chose

TaxAct 2016 Plus Edition
Includes 1 state return and 5 IRS e-files
Available: Available Jan 2017 (Preview available Fall 2016)
$23.99

(I think the pre-purchases were usually more like $19, so it's up about 25%.)

The Order Confirmation email said "Preview versions of TaxAct Federal Editions will be available in November. State and business products are released as forms become available, starting in January. See the Product Release List for estimated release dates."
https://www.taxact.com/products/all_list.asp

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:02 am

*3!4!/5! wrote:A while ago I had also been wondering why I didn't get an email from TaxAct in early June (as I had for several years) offering pre-purchase of next years version at a discount.

I chose

TaxAct 2016 Plus Edition
$23.99

The Order Confirmation email said "Preview versions of TaxAct Federal Editions will be available in November. State and business products are released as forms become available, starting in January. See the Product Release List for estimated release dates."

Was this the same price in the email?
$31.99 for premium is more than I have ever paid. Usually get this around $13.
I don't see any downside. If you pre-register, looks like you can pre-register again for a different price that is better or not?

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:07 am

There was no email this year, unlike previous years.
It looks like prices have gone up, but pre-order will still save you some (and you get to play with the software a couple of months early).
(ETA: If you are comparing prices, consider whether state tax is included.)
Last edited by *3!4!/5! on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:08 am

sdotsen wrote:The price hike may force me to look elsewhere. I may try H&R Block's software for this coming tax season.

H&R block at home is usually 50% off at amazon shortly after the new year for one day only. This might be the year I go to freefilefillableforms.com or freetaxusa.com.

Also the page above is only for the download version of products. For online, the price is higher or not available early at a discount.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Options.

Free or ~$25. Two years ago I learned I could have been doing my taxes for free* by using the IRS freefile online software from OLT.com, instead of paying TT/TC/TA. :oops: (* Must initially access OLT from IRS freefile webpage to get referral link for free tax filing.) There is a learning curve with OLT as the web interface was relatively primitive, mostly quick-entry driven, and little handholding. But being familiar with your taxes (tax data, forms needed) it was also much faster than TT/TC/TA once you learn your way around. If income is too high to freefile, recall full price was ~$25.

"What if" tax scenarios. When I've wanted to play "what if" federal tax scenarios, I've used excel1040.com as it's quick to enter last tax return data and make scenario changes.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:22 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:A while ago I had also been wondering why I didn't get an email from TaxAct in early June (as I had for several years) offering pre-purchase of next years version at a discount.

I chose

TaxAct 2016 Plus Edition
$23.99

THANK YOU! I poked around the website and googled, but was not able to find that link. Appreciate it very much. This is for the download, not the online product. The price history on the download product is:
$19.95 Fed + 1 state State until about TY 2006; don't recall the efile situation.
$17 for Fed + 1 state State pre-purchase for TY 2007-2010 with one free federal efile
$18 for Fed + 1 state State pre-purchase for TY 2011-2012 with one free federal efile
$19 for Fed + 1 state State pre-purchase for TY 2013-2014 with one free federal efile
$19 for Fed + 1 state State pre-purchase for TY 2015 with 5 free federal efiles
$0/$16/$24/$32 for Fed + 1 state State pre-purchase for TY 2016 with 5 free federal efiles;
the first tier is basic without importing last year's return
the second tier adds import of last years data and phone support
the third tier adds Schedules A (Interest), D (Itemized Deductions) and E (rental property)
the most expensive adds Schedules C & F(self employment & farm income)

State efiles have always been an extra $8-$10 each, and still are.
Perhaps we can write off the incremental $8 cost for rental property and the next $8 for self employment functionality?

dratkinson wrote:Options.

Free or ~$25. Two years ago I learned I could have been doing my taxes for free* by using the IRS freefile online software from OLT.com, instead of paying TT/TC/TA. :oops: (* Must initially access OLT from IRS freefile webpage to get referral link for free tax filing.) There is a learning curve with OLT as the web interface was relatively primitive, mostly quick-entry driven, and little handholding. But being familiar with your taxes (tax data, forms needed) it was also much faster than TT/TC/TA once you learn your way around. If income is too high to freefile, recall full price was ~$25.

"What if" tax scenarios. When I've wanted to play "what if" federal tax scenarios, I've used excel1040.com as it's quick to enter last tax return data and make scenario changes.

Great options and looks like the most affordable. Based on https://www.olt.com/main/home/products.asp it looks like the whole thing is free, and if you want phone support and a year over year comparison, you pay $8, and state is another $8, so $16 per person for federal & state with efile. The interface looks preferable - I often think the questions can be confusing, and you learn much more understanding what data you need to enter into each line. However it looks like this software is entirely online - no product to download, and they only keep your data for a limited time.

Someone else mentioned H&R Block software at half price the day after. However, you would have to estimate your taxes, make the payment and then get the software. I prefer to estimate my taxes WITH the software.

maxq

Post by maxq » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:33 pm

I've been a loyal paid TaxAct user for about 10 years. Last year I paid $9.99 (pre-ordered) for TaxAct Deluxe (I don't recall if a state was included, but I don't need to file a state return). This year the equivalent package is TaxAct Plus, and is priced at $23.99 for pre-orders if I go their site on my Windows laptop (interestingly, if I go to the same order page on my Mac, the price is $29.99). It seems to add insult to injury that they increase the price 240% (??) in a single year that follows the year they were hacked and lost a lot of customers' personal data. Customer relations and satisfaction apparently are not a priority or a need for them. TaxAct did everything I needed, but now that their price is now closer to TurboTax's, I guess I'll make the switch for 2016 filing, with the added benefit of having the ability to do my return on a Mac. :sharebeer

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm not happy about the price increase. The freetaxusa.com site looks good. Thanks for the suggestion in this thread.

Bye TaxAct!

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:17 pm

For those comparing the $13 or so products..

TaxAct has the online versions, which have prices that seem to match last years download prices; $0/$9/$13.50/$18. Just google for a promo code and follow the links. I initially posted a link but it looks like it gives that website a kickback, so you can decide who gets your kickback.

TaxAct also has the download version, whose cost has increased considerably as detailed above.

Drew31

Post by Drew31 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:13 pm

Saving$ wrote:For those comparing the $13 or so products..

TaxAct has the online versions, which have prices that seem to match last years download prices; $0/$9/$13.50/$18. Just google for a promo code and follow the links. I initially posted a link but it looks like it gives that website a kickback, so you can decide who gets your kickback.

TaxAct also has the download version, whose cost has increased considerably as detailed above.

I'm not having much luck finding the lower 2016 prices for online on their website??

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:28 pm

Last edited by Saving$ on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:35 pm

Drew31 wrote:
Saving$ wrote:For those comparing the $13 or so products..

I'm not having much luck finding the lower 2016 prices for online on their website??

Me neither. $34.99 premium in above link (+$24.99 state!). Looks like olt.com will work for free federal/$9.95 state.
Last edited by mikep on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:42 pm

OK - google taxact promo code.

You will find several. I clicked on the first one. Then click on the affiliate link to tax act, and once back at tax act, click on the online version cost. You might need to clear your browser. For me it shows the online versions as $0/$9/$13.50/$18

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:50 pm

Saving$ wrote:OK - google taxact promo code.

You will find several. I clicked on the first one. Then click on the affiliate link to tax act, and once back at tax act, click on the online version cost. You might need to clear your browser. For me it shows the online versions as $0/$9/$13.50/$18

I see the same prices as you now in a new incognito window. Problem is, I need premium $17.99, state is additional $13.49. That's still quite an increase vs last year ($31.48 vs ~$13.99). Sneaky taxact.. now the state is additional, where in previous years it was included.

Also I registered through it and its for a new 2015 return as well, not a price lock for 2016.

After registering and signing out, I get prompted for a 2016 federal return premium price lock for 2016 of $19.99. No idea what the price is for state, didn't say.

I suspect this is the year I dump taxact.

jane1

Post by jane1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:34 am

Saving$ wrote:OK - google taxact promo code.

I see the prices you mention above. But are these for the 2016 version? When I click on "State Additional" to see details it says Taxact Online 2015.

Jacotus

Post by Jacotus » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:43 am

mikep wrote:I suspect this is the year I dump taxact.

I'm with you.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:48 am

After several years of fairly constant prices, I'm okay with $18.99-->$23.99. It's just 30% higher than 2010, so I'm still okay with it, but they better not get too greedy.

Drew31

Post by Drew31 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:35 am

Jacotus wrote:
mikep wrote:I suspect this is the year I dump taxact.

I'm with you.

3rd. I'm intrigued by the freefillableforms or freetaxusa options suggested earlier in thread.

Blues

Post by Blues » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:48 am

I locked in the low price guarantee for 2016 returns via the TaxAct website in May.

I'll be very interested to see what exactly that means for pricing of the 2016 federal / state online product commensurate with the one used to prepare 2015's returns via TaxAct online.

I believe I paid $13.99 for TY 2015 which covered both our federal and state returns. I'm willing to pay more but I'm not willing to get hosed.

We shall see.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:21 pm

mikep wrote:...
Looks like olt.com will work for free federal/$9.95 state.

According to this link, https://www.irs.gov/uac/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free (IRS freefile links to s/w and fillable forms), fed+state+efile is free at OLT if AGI is <=$62K.

N.B. This is why you must initially enter OLT from the IRS freefile webpage, and not directly, so you get the IRS referral link for freefiling.

Once you've started your tax return (and saved your work), then you can go there directly on subsequent visits to continue your work. At least this is the way it has worked for me the past 2 years.

I notice from the IRS list of freefile s/w that freetaxusa has an upper age limit to freefile. OLT does not.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:29 pm

They usually have a 25% off for thanksgiving sale. I would check then. But agree with others, no emails this year.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:56 pm

I searched my emails but no email from TaxAct as I have received in prior years.
I went in to my account and I see that I "locked in" the low price for 2016.
If my memory serves me correct I was offered the low price after completing 2015 taxes :happy
Last edited by Toons on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Toons wrote:I searched my emails but no email from TaxAct as I have received in prior years.
If my memory serves me correct I was offered the low price after completing 2105 taxes :happy

Any idea if the price you received is the same as those noted above? Do you use the download product?

Blues

Post by Blues » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:00 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Toons wrote:I searched my emails but no email from TaxAct as I have received in prior years.
If my memory serves me correct I was offered the low price after completing 2105 taxes :happy

Any idea if the price you received is the same as those noted above? Do you use the download product?

I called earlier today and was told that the prices for the online product have not yet been published.

I was also told that the preview software will not be released until December this year.

Not sure what conclusions can be drawn at this point.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:09 pm

Saving$ wrote:

Given the rapid increases in their prices the last few years I am guessing a couple dollars more than what I paid last year(9.99 Fed/6.00 State)...fine with me.
I have always used the online version...7 years... :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:10 pm

Toons wrote:
Saving$ wrote:

Given the rapid increases in their prices the last few years I am guessing a couple dollars more than what I paid last year(9.99 Fed/6.00 State)...fine with me.
I have always used the online version...7 years... :happy

Same here, logging into my account it says that I'm "locked in" for 2016. Last year I paid $9.99 to e-file federal and then I took advantage of Ohio's free e-file. (You just have to re-enter your numbers from your federal return on the state website.)

zeusrock1

Post by zeusrock1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:05 am

I just received a TaxAct email this morning that says to watch my inbox for a special Cyber Monday Offer next month. Looks like I'll wait and see what it says then.

maxq

Post by maxq » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:52 pm

For those who state their accounts show a locked in price for 2016, where on the account page(s) do you see that? :?:

Blues

Post by Blues » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:01 pm

maxq wrote:For those who state their accounts show a locked in price for 2016, where on the account page(s) do you see that? :?:

If you click the Taxes or My Taxes button, (I'm not logged in to the site), you'll see a list of your tax returns. Look at the entry for 2016 (assuming there is one).

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Blues wrote:
maxq wrote:For those who state their accounts show a locked in price for 2016, where on the account page(s) do you see that? :?:

If you click the Taxes or My Taxes button, (I'm not logged in to the site), you'll see a list of your tax returns. Look at the entry for 2016 (assuming there is one).

I have had a TaxACT account for several years, but I have never seen a "Taxes or My Taxes button" and I don't see it now.

I see a "Orders and Downloads" page.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:49 pm

By the way, the sequence of prices I have paid for downloadable TaxACT (Fed+efile+state, most forms included) for 2009-2016 are
$19.95
$17.00
$18.00
$18.00
$18.95
$18.99
$18.99
$23.99
There's a jump at the end, but hardly price-gouging just yet. Going from $19.95 to $23.99 over 7 years is just 2.67% per year.
[(23.99/19.95)^{1/7}=1.0267]

maxq

Post by maxq » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:08 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:
Blues wrote:

I have had a TaxACT account for several years, but I have never seen a "Taxes or My Taxes button" and I don't see it now.

I see a "Orders and Downloads" page.

---------------

That's what I see also--only Orders and Downloads. I've been a "download"customer; perhaps the Taxes or My Taxes only shows for on-line customers?

Blues

Post by Blues » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:53 am

I think your supposition is correct regarding the "My Taxes" button only being available when logged into a TaxAct Online account.

(I used to use the desktop version for many years but that login is no longer active since switching over to the online product a few years back.)

The button is definitely "My Taxes". Verified this morning when I logged into the site.

SpartanFan

Post by SpartanFan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:58 am

ClevrChico wrote:I'm not happy about the price increase. The freetaxusa.com site looks good. Thanks for the suggestion in this thread.

Bye TaxAct!

I used FreeTaxUSA last year and was pleased. The only down side to me was, it is an online app. So I cannot do addl "what if" tests for this years return.
"There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" - Leonard Cohen

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:14 pm

SpartanFan wrote:
ClevrChico wrote:I'm not happy about the price increase. The freetaxusa.com site looks good. Thanks for the suggestion in this thread.

Bye TaxAct!

I used FreeTaxUSA last year and was pleased. The only down side to me was, it is an online app. So I cannot do addl "what if" tests for this years return.

Good to hear! This is my go to "what if" tool:

https://sites.google.com/site/excel1040/

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:21 pm

Preview version is still not out. Being able to do an early run and fine tune things before year end was a good feature. I hope that's not going away. As it is, it's later than usual.

Blues

Post by Blues » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:54 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:Preview version is still not out. Being able to do an early run and fine tune things before year end was a good feature. I hope that's not going away. As it is, it's later than usual.

FWIW, I was told by one of their phone reps that there would be no preview version until December.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:30 am

Blues wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:Preview version is still not out. Being able to do an early run and fine tune things before year end was a good feature. I hope that's not going away. As it is, it's later than usual.

FWIW, I was told by one of their phone reps that there would be no preview version until December.

Did they say when in December, or was or more of a "not yet, maybe later" answer.

Blues

Post by Blues » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:41 am

*3!4!/5! wrote:
Blues wrote:

Did they say when in December, or was or more of a "not yet, maybe later" answer.

The rep did not have any info regarding a specific date. He simply referred to info they had been provided internally which stated that the preview edition, (for at least this year), would not be available until some time in December.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:25 pm

I chose

TaxAct 2016 Plus Edition
$23.99

Prices have jumped up since I posted this. See also these links. (Higher prices and different tiers.)
https://www.taxact.com/taxes-online/
https://www.taxact.com/tax-preparation/

I've been a fan of TaxACT for some years, but it looks like the days of TaxACT being a cheaper option are over. Anyway, I've preordered for 2017 2016, but after that I'm looking around.

Edit: I mean I've preordered for tax year 2016, that I file in 2017.
Last edited by *3!4!/5! on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:12 pm

I "preordered" TaxAct 2016 Plus Edition (with one state) back in January 2016 for $23.99.

Smart move? No, I wanted 2015 and ordered the wrong product. :)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:32 pm

I got another email to watch out for cyber Monday sale.

DIY tax software – like TaxAct!
With 2016 quickly coming to a close, you know the time is coming to make sure Uncle Sam is properly paid.

Tax time comes the same time every year, but why wait to purchase the software at full price if you can get it at a discount?

Keep your eyes peeled for emails with discount codes offering significant savings.

Insider tip: there’s a good chance you may be able to take advantage of those offers before Cyber Monday even starts!
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

Ethelred

Post by Ethelred » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:12 pm

When I looked a month ago, they had a statement that they would match the price of comparable Turbotax and H&R Block products, but I can't locate that any more. That's troubling.