AX [American Express] charge dispute

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Erwin

AX [American Express] charge dispute

Post by Erwin »

I own an AX through PenFed. In June I submitted a dispute of a charge for $1560. It was turned down twice; however, I feel that I am right (got legal advice) and I suspect that AX person that reviewed the case did not spend the time to understand the issue. Is there anything I can do to elevate the problem?
Although the sum is not small, it is not my main issue. I feel so very much violated, like if AX has allowed this merchant to get his hands in my pocket and take the money. I feel that if I give up an pay I will allow this merchant to continue this practice.
Any suggestions?
Erwin
ResearchMed

Re: AX [American Express] charge dispute

Post by ResearchMed »

Erwin wrote:I own an AX through PenFed. In June I submitted a dispute of a charge for $1560. It was turned down twice; however, I feel that I am right (got legal advice) and I suspect that AX person that reviewed the case did not spend the time to understand the issue. Is there anything I can do to elevate the problem?
Although the sum is not small, it is not my main issue. I feel so very much violated, like if AX has allowed this merchant to get his hands in my pocket and take the money. I feel that if I give up an pay I will allow this merchant to continue this practice.
Any suggestions?
Did you fill out all the forms and submit receipts/emails/other documentation (including your own records of contemporaneous phone calls, with dates and names of who you spoke with)?

Did you ask them *why* it was denied?
Did you explain the legal argument to them, or get a letter to them?

That might help.

We've had only good results with the few disputes we've had over the past several decades, and that's one reason - but not the only one - that we stick with them.
If there is anything questionable about a purchase (such as through Internet), we always use Amex.

Good luck!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Can you provide more details to help better understand the situation?
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

Have you called them and escalated to a supervisor?
gloomydog

Post by gloomydog »

I've only had great experiences with disputes via Amex.

They are known to be extremely customer friendly. What was your dispute about?
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I too have had only great experiences with AMEX:
  • Several disputed charges over the years, all resolved in my favor.
  • Two uses of extended warranty.
  • Twice AMEX called to ask if I had authorized what they saw as unusual charges. In one case, there were multiple charges, all for the same amount at the same place in a country I had never been to. AMEX immediately reversed the charges and sent me a new card with a new number.
  • Just the other day I had an $825 charge for some expensive auto maintenance. No call, but an email from AMEX asking if the charge was authorized. I think it just asked me to call if there was a problem. They probably treated it lightly like this because it was a very reputable payee.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Erwin wrote:I own an AX through PenFed...
Bank and CU-branded AMEX cards are serviced (including disputes) through the bank or CU, not AMEX. The posters who noted outstanding dispute resolution service from AMEX were likely dealing with direct-issued AMEX cards, not those issues through a third-party.

I ran into this with Citibank-branded AMEX - all account issues were handled by Citibank, and none of the added AMEX benefits (extended warranties, etc.) were available on it, just the Citibank benefits.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Topic Author
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

samsoes wrote:
Bank and CU-branded AMEX cards are serviced (including disputes) through the bank or CU, not AMEX. The posters who noted outstanding dispute resolution service from AMEX were likely dealing with direct-issued AMEX cards, not those issues through a third-party.

I ran into this with Citibank-branded AMEX - all account issues were handled by Citibank, and none of the added AMEX benefits (extended warranties, etc.) were available on it, just the Citibank benefits.
Right on. I spent a full day writing the reason for my dispute and included all type of documentation. Then when I was turned and given the reason, I realized that whoever looked at the documentation did not understand the claim. I then wrote again given further explanations and again turned down. Based on the last letter I received, it seems to me that they just asked the merchant to agree with my claim, which off course he disagreed, instead of trying to independently validate whether I had a legal case for my dispute. Below I quote PenFed last reply:
"Unfortunately, despite our efforts on your behalf, the merchant and their bank
have declined our good faith request. At this time, we are unable to pursue
further action regarding this dispute."
Does that make sense? I am very disappointed.
Erwin
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

samsoes wrote:

Good thing to be aware of! I posted above about great service from AMEX and yes, my card is directly from AMEX. I will keep what you say in mind if I am ever in the position of needing a new card (Unlikely!) or am tempted by some too-good-to-be-true deal.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Topic Author
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Can I go directly to American Express with my case? After all their name is on the line
Erwin
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Erwin wrote:Can I go directly to American Express with my case? After all their name is on the line
Won't hurt to try - here's the customer service number on my new direct-AMEX issued card: 888-258-3741.
Good luck - keep us posted.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

You haven't explained the nature of the dispute much, might shed light on the matter?

Not a lawyer, but wondering if Amex doesn't give you satisfaction if you should try other routes with the merchant. Small claims court? Better Business Bureau? Some state agency (attorney general/anti-fraud????).
dbr

Post by dbr »

An often recommended method of taking up an issue like this is to search out a list of the chain of executives at the company and writing an e-mail or letter to the bottom of that chain and then proceeding up until you reach the CEO. What is required is a short, objective statement of the situation and a reasonable statement of the resolution that you think is appropriate.

You can try these for example: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/american-express/

Some people prefer to address the office of the CEO (Kenneth Chenault) directly. The result may be a response from some underling who will actually try to fix the problem. Once you fire the CEO bullet, you are done, however. I did have an AMEX issue nicely resolved this way once.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

dbr wrote:An often recommended method of taking up an issue like this is to search out a list of the chain of executives at the company and writing an e-mail or letter to the bottom of that chain and then proceeding up until you reach the CEO. What is required is a short, objective statement of the situation and a reasonable statement of the resolution that you think is appropriate.

You can try these for example: http://elliott.org/company-contacts/american-express/

Some people prefer to address the office of the CEO (Kenneth Chenault) directly. The result may be a response from some underling who will actually try to fix the problem. Once you fire the CEO bullet, you are done, however. I did have an AMEX issue nicely resolved this way once.
OP is delaing with PenFed, not AMEX, since this is a PenFed-issued card. (See my post above.) S/he will likely benefit dealing with PenFed's executives.
dbr

Post by dbr »

samsoes wrote:
dbr wrote:An often recommended method of taking up an issue like this is to search out a list of the chain of executives at the company and writing an e-mail or letter to the bottom of that chain and then proceeding up until you reach the CEO. What is required is a short, objective statement of the situation and a reasonable statement of the resolution that you think is appropriate.

OP is delaing with PenFed, not AMEX, since this is a PenFed-issued card. (See my post above.) S/he will likely benefit dealing with PenFed's executives.
Yes, you are right. I guess I am confused about what an "AX through PenFed" is. However, the executive chain process is the same whatever.
Topic Author
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Da5id wrote:You haven't explained the nature of the dispute much, might shed light on the matter?

Not a lawyer, but wondering if Amex doesn't give you satisfaction if you should try other routes with the merchant. Small claims court? Better Business Bureau? Some state agency (attorney general/anti-fraud????).
The case is simple but occurred overseas. We had reservations in a small B&B in Lake Como, Italy. Upon arriving we realized that the facilities were not as advertised in their website and complained. The owner of the B&B stated that if we were not happy we need not stay and offered to help us find an other hotel. We then proceeded to stay in his recommended hotel. Upon returning home we noticed a charge in our American Express card for the entire stay, and after complying to booking.com (we made the reservation through them), they stated that the charge was because we did not show up. However, to cover myself, the same day that we arrived at the B&B after we settled in the new hotel, I sent an email to the owner of the B&B thanking him for his understanding and help and stating our understanding that we would not incur any charges. A day later the owner replied that we had been extremely rude and we were not welcomed in his hotel, all completely false.
We then filed a complaint with booking.com and American Express. Booking.com refused to get involved, even after we explained that not only the B&B was not in the town advertised, but the room did not meet the specifications presented in the website and explained what happened. And American Express, rather PenFed did not do better.
So, in essence he lied and we fell for it.
Erwin
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

samsoes, I disagree. The essence of going to the CEO is that you can often get satisfaction based on what you feel is fair. Whether it should be the CEO of Penfed or of American Express, I'm not sure. Personally, if it were me, since I thought of it as American Express, and since they are bigger and have deeper pockets and might care more about public perception, I'd try American Express. Another reason is that the B&B operator wants to stay on good terms with American Express. Also, American Express is in a better position to get money from the B&B operator themselves than PenFed is.

I've never tried this with a sum as big as $1,560. The largest I've ever tried was a couple of hundred dollars. Yes, you need to be prepared to spend a couple of hours and end up feeling the unpleasant sting of rejection.

The key points are: a) A paper letter, sent by USPS, through postal mail, with a handwritten address and a stamp on it. Not fax, not email. Get the CEO's name, don't just address it to "CEO."

b) The letter is no more than a page long.

c) The first sentence states exactly what you want them to do. In this case, credit $1,560 to your account.

d) You must be sure you are focussing on the money. Your aim is to receive $1,560. Not to get anyone fired, not to change any corporate behavior, not to Teach Someone A Lesson, not about The Principle Of The Thing. It's all about the money, period.

e) The letter does not express anger or make any kind of legal threats. It does not use any legal language or refer to laws or contracts. It does not say you are going to tell the Internet. The general tone is "I have been a good customer and a happy customer for a long time. Now I am an unhappy customer. If you do this thing for me I will be a happy customer again." You could say something like "I've always thought American Express would help me when a merchant has treated me unfairly."

You are not demanding your legal rights, you are asking for a favor in the name of fairness and goodwill.

f) The letter does not tell any very long stories. The letter openly makes use of language like "this is what I feel is fair." You can be sure that they have the law on your side, but they can't tell you what you feel. You will of course say what your reason is for disputing the charge. In your case, give one or two specific details of things that were not as advertised. You aren't trying to prove anything in a court of law, you are simply giving the underling a good reason to put down "not as advertised" in whatever record they keep.

P.S. Since their counterclaim was "no-show," do you have anything at all you can attach to the letter that proves you really were there? Did anyone take a snapshot, for example? If not, you can at least use the paperwork for the place you ended up going to, which is probably nearby, to show you were at least in the general area--you didn't just cancel the trip or anything.

g) As you write the letter, pretend that it is going to be successful, and that it is going to go to the Underling In Charge Of Throwing Grease At Squeaky Wheels, As Long As It's Not Too Much. Attached to the letter should be just enough documentation--with relevant things circled--to show that you really spent $1,560, and your name, your address, your account number, and the dates. What you want to do is make the underling's job as easy as possible. You want them to look at it, shrug, say "OK, that's within my authority," and make it easy to get it off their desk as soon as possible... so that they can tally off another problem resolved.

P.S. Looks like the Wikipedia article on American Express has the name and address you need:
Headquarters Three World Financial Center, New York City, New York, U.S.
Key people: Kenneth Chenault (Chairman & CEO)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Another route might be to get the CFPB involved and submit a complaint against PenFed.

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/#credit-card

OP - I believe your issue came up in another thread. Do you have supporting evidence such as photos of the room offered to (showing that it differs materially from the "sold product") and perhaps a series of reviews from other travelers reporting the same deficiency on sites like Tripadvisor?
Topic Author
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

nisiprius wrote:samsoes, I disagree. The essence of going to the CEO is that you can often get satisfaction based on what you feel is fair. Whether it should be the CEO of Penfed or of American Express, I'm not sure. Personally, if it were me, since I thought of it as American Express, and since they are bigger and have deeper pockets and might care more about public perception, I'd try American Express. Another reason is that the B&B operator wants to stay on good terms with American Express. Also, American Express is in a better position to get money from the B&B operator themselves than PenFed is.

I've never tried this with a sum as big as $1,560. The largest I've ever tried was a couple of hundred dollars. Yes, you need to be prepared to spend a couple of hours and end up feeling the unpleasant sting of rejection.

The key points are: a) A paper letter, sent by USPS, through postal mail, with a handwritten address and a stamp on it. Not fax, not email. Get the CEO's name, don't just address it to "CEO."

b) The letter is no more than a page long.

c) The first sentence states exactly what you want them to do. In this case, credit $1,560 to your account.

d) You must be sure you are focussing on the money. Your aim is to receive $1,560. Not to get anyone fired, not to change any corporate behavior, not to Teach Someone A Lesson, not about The Principle Of The Thing. It's all about the money, period.

e) The letter does not express anger or make any kind of legal threats. It does not use any legal language or refer to laws or contracts. It does not say you are going to tell the Internet. The general tone is "I have been a good customer and a happy customer for a long time. Now I am an unhappy customer. If you do this thing for me I will be a happy customer again." You could say something like "I've always thought American Express would help me when a merchant has treated me unfairly."

You are not demanding your legal rights, you are asking for a favor in the name of fairness and goodwill.

f) The letter does not tell any very long stories. The letter openly makes use of language like "this is what I feel is fair." You can be sure that they have the law on your side, but they can't tell you what you feel. You will of course say what your reason is for disputing the charge. In your case, give one or two specific details of things that were not as advertised. You aren't trying to prove anything in a court of law, you are simply giving the underling a good reason to put down "not as advertised" in whatever record they keep.

P.S. Since their counterclaim was "no-show," do you have anything at all you can attach to the letter that proves you really were there? Did anyone take a snapshot, for example? If not, you can at least use the paperwork for the place you ended up going to, which is probably nearby, to show you were at least in the general area--you didn't just cancel the trip or anything.

g) As you write the letter, pretend that it is going to be successful, and that it is going to go to the Underling In Charge Of Throwing Grease At Squeaky Wheels, As Long As It's Not Too Much. Attached to the letter should be just enough documentation--with relevant things circled--to show that you really spent $1,560, and your name, your address, your account number, and the dates. What you want to do is make the underling's job as easy as possible. You want them to look at it, shrug, say "OK, that's within my authority," and make it easy to get it off their desk as soon as possible... so that they can tally off another problem resolved.

P.S. Looks like the Wikipedia article on American Express has the name and address you need:
Headquarters Three World Financial Center, New York City, New York, U.S.
Key people: Kenneth Chenault (Chairman & CEO)
Good idea! I will try it.
Erwin
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

I agree with nisiprius suggestions on how to approach this issue. I have had really good success by writing CEOs. I make sure I have tried to resolve the issue with customer service first. If that didn't work. then I go to the CEO. I am sure the CEO never sees the complaint; but when customer service get the letter for the CEO"s office, I am sure it gets a their attention with trying to resolve the issue.
Best Wishes, | Joe
dbr

Post by dbr »

nisiprius wrote: P.S. Since their counterclaim was "no-show," do you have anything at all you can attach to the letter that proves you really were there? Did anyone take a snapshot, for example? If not, you can at least use the paperwork for the place you ended up going to, which is probably nearby, to show you were at least in the general area--you didn't just cancel the trip or anything.
I suspect that refusing to take the accommodation constitutes "no show" even if you were literally there. It might be that is the basis for denial by Penfed. The issue would seem to be with the B&B over the "understanding" that there would be no charge. Unless that understanding exists in writing and if there is a no-refund policy that is in writing, then there is a mess because now everything turns on the facilities not being as advertised.

It is still best at this point to letter the executives at one company or the other or both. CFPB might be a route as well.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

I used this pathway for (oddly enough) a dispute with AmEx RE: Membership Rewards bonus points. No joy via this venue.
TravelGeek wrote:Another route might be to get the CFPB involved and submit a complaint against PenFed.

OP - I believe your issue came up in another thread. Do you have supporting evidence such as photos of the room offered to (showing that it differs materially from the "sold product") and perhaps a series of reviews from other travelers reporting the same deficiency on sites like Tripadvisor?
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

I had a similar issue with a hotel once, lost the credit card dispute and wrote some online reviews to make myself feel better about it. I think the person reading your letter likely understood it, but you are describing a highly subjective experience that was governed by the terms you agreed to when you booked.

Fwiw, I just had a good dispute experience on a custom ordered piece of furniture through Amex and capital one (split charge) but that is mostly likely because the merchant stopped fighting (I believe they get charged appeal fees).
traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch »

Erwin wrote: Right on. I spent a full day writing the reason for my dispute and included all type of documentation.
A full day of writing may have worked against you. As I advised back in June, "be concise".

Were you able to get any documentation from the replacement lodging showing that the previous place had referred you there?
Topic Author
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

traveltoomuch wrote:
Erwin wrote: Right on. I spent a full day writing the reason for my dispute and included all type of documentation.
A full day of writing may have worked against you. As I advised back in June, "be concise".

Were you able to get any documentation from the replacement lodging showing that the previous place had referred you there?
Unfortunately all took place verbally. In my wildest dreams I suspected bad intentions. The owner tricked me and naively I fell for it
Erwin
Topic Author
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Leemiller wrote:I had a similar issue with a hotel once, lost the credit card dispute and wrote some online reviews to make myself feel better about it. I think the person reading your letter likely understood it, but you are describing a highly subjective experience that was governed by the terms you agreed to when you booked.

Fwiw, I just had a good dispute experience on a custom ordered piece of furniture through Amex and capital one (split charge) but that is mostly likely because the merchant stopped fighting (I believe they get charged appeal fees).
Right, I am ready to write a review online to hopefully prevent others from falling in the same trap.
Erwin
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

LifeIsGood wrote:I used this pathway for (oddly enough) a dispute with AmEx RE: Membership Rewards bonus points. No joy via this venue.
TravelGeek wrote:Another route might be to get the CFPB involved and submit a complaint against PenFed.

Doesn't surprise me. That's like filing a DOT complaint about mileage program issues; just not what they get involved in, as far as I understand.
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

Erwin wrote:I own an AX through PenFed. In June I submitted a dispute of a charge for $1560. It was turned down twice; however, I feel that I am right (got legal advice) and I suspect that AX person that reviewed the case did not spend the time to understand the issue. Is there anything I can do to elevate the problem?
Any suggestions?
OP, the title is misleading. Your credit card is issued by PenFed, your disputing a charge has to go thru PenFed the card company; it has nothing to do with American Express (aside from payment was via the Amex network).

I would suggest your post a concise summary onto Flyertalk (more specifically the Information Desk forum under Miles and Points) as that is a travel focused website/forum with many experts willing to chime in. Some might have greater understanding/experience with definition of "no show" in the hotel industry. Further more, do provide an honest review of the hotel onto general hotel sites like TripAdvisor as well as your booking agency website (booking.com) so that your experience help other travelers. Best of luck.