USAA for customer service and insurance?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
URSnshn

USAA for customer service and insurance?

Post by URSnshn » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:17 pm

I recently got a quote from USAA for auto insurance and was thinking of switching auto insurance companies ... and my other insurances as well. BUT while the quote was good they've made a lot of mistakes along the way and I've had to spend hours with them on the phone. Mistakes can happen, but I'm having a hard time imagining doing business with them.

For those of you who have had USAA for auto, home and/or business or other ... is my experience an oddity or are they no longer known for their customer service?

I did look at some related posts, but some time has passed, and I thought it might be worth it to inquire.

Carson

Re: USAA for customer service and insurance?

Post by Carson » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:09 pm

I have had USAA for a year now for auto, and home and have been quite fine with it. I have used the online portal for almost everything - even adding a new vehicle while I was sitting in the dealership. However a few times I've had an actual question and found their agents well able to handle it.

We had a major vehicle claim and that too was pretty easy and painless. The only complaint I have is the volume of paper related mail I get - I suppose its on me because I've had home and auto changes happen just after our renewal docs came, but it's been a lot of envelopes!

I'm just wondering if there was something complex about the situation. Were the errors anything you could pinpoint?
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

URSnshn

Post by URSnshn » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Thanks Carson for the input. It was a simple auto quote. The best of companies sometimes have a glitch and if and when it is you - it is an ouch. However, I've heard a lot of good things about USAA, and thought my experience might be a glitch - that's why I'm asking. If I knew nothing at all about the company, I'd pass them by on this experience.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:46 pm

Have had auto insurance with USAA continuously since 1961 and have had two no-fault claims with them during that period. Both claims were settled very quickly and fairly. Have had valuable personal property, homeowner, life, and umbrella insurances with them since 1975 with no claims. All insurances have been priced very fairly in my opinion and all customer service has been excellent. Have checked out their closest rated competitor (Amica) but USAA is still tops in my opinion. :D
Tom D.

whomever

Post by whomever » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:04 pm

I've been a member since the late 70's. We've had several not-at-fault claims since then, For all of them we took the car to the USAA recommended repair shop, and for all of them but one USAA was superb. Sometimes they paid under our uninsured coverage, and sometimes they collected from the other driver, but they always took care of us first. For the last one, they were horrible - resolution took something like six months, with horrible customer service - calling for weeks to get a return call, even after escalating, and so on. I think we finally escalated 4 levels up or something. That was in 2007, so the details are getting fuzzy.

We have kept our coverage with them. I guess I'm hoping that was an anomaly.

I'm funny about insurance - I'm not particularly price sensitive, but I want it to work well when I have a claim. USAA has always gotten high marks for that. We'll see what happens if we have another claim. If they're going to have bad customer service, I might as well shop by price.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:16 am

Their customer service is second to none, I'm surprised you had a difficult time. We've been with USAA for years: home, auto, earthquake and jewelry insurance. Also banking.

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:10 am

I've been a USAA auto insurance client since 1980. No reason to go anywhere else.

Rick Ferri
The views expressed by Rick Ferri are strictly his own as a private investor and author and do not reflect the views of any entity or other persons.

neutics

Post by neutics » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:15 am

I think Amica is actually rated ahead of USAA now in terms of customer service, and at least for this Texas resident my homeowners was much cheaper through them vs. USAA.

Insurance is a commodity, and once it's set up you probably forget about it until you hopefully don't need it. Geico can be a pain to deal with, but I'm willing to pay that price for auto premiums that are almost half of USAA.

Personally I have been very disappointed by USAA's service in some other areas over the past couple years, so I don't buy into the hype. Too many service members and/or former military that 'qualify' for USAA just assume they are the best and don't bother shopping around elsewhere.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:27 am

I have had USAA auto insurance since 1984 and have always been satisfied with their service. We have had several auto claims over the years and also had a homeowners and a flood claim. In all cases, they were very fast at getting a payment to us. Their banking is good including no ATM fees and debit cards for teens. The only negative thing I can say about them is that their brokerage platform is terrible.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:47 am

USAA customer for 30+ years, have had several auto insurance claims and always had wonderful treatment and support. Sounds like a glitch to me; USAA is also my provider for homeowner insurance and banking (credit card), and my son, daughter and DIL are customers too. They use the USAA banking and financial service products-son/DIL just went through USAA on a VA home mortgage process. Nobody has had anything but stellar customer service.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:52 am

Rick Ferri wrote:I've been a USAA auto insurance client since 1980. No reason to go anywhere else.

Rick Ferri

+1 except since 1968.

I had an almost new Honda stolen in 1993. It was found several days later in a parking garage in Baltimore, having been picked clean for parts (no wheels, seats, dashboard, fenders, steering wheel, etc.) USAA considered it a total and paid me about what I had paid for the car 3 or 4 months before.
Friar1610

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:53 am

Since 1969. Would not hesitate to recommend them.

goingup

Post by goingup » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:58 am

URSnshn wrote:BUT while the quote was good they've made a lot of mistakes along the way and I've had to spend hours with them on the phone. Mistakes can happen, but I'm having a hard time imagining doing business with them.

It's hard to imagine spending hours on the phone with them but I wouldn't be fond of that. We've had auto, home, life, CC with them for years. My recollection of phone calls with them is that they are pleasant and concise. Is it possible you have been dealing with a sub-par rep?

gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:43 am

USAA for 40 years. Two claims, on car, one house, both handled satisfactorily and rapidly.....Gordon
Disciple of John Neff

aquaman

Post by aquaman » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:28 am

tomd37 wrote:Have had auto insurance with USAA continuously since 1961 and have had two no-fault claims with them during that period. Both claims were settled very quickly and fairly. Have had valuable personal property, homeowner, life, and umbrella insurances with them since 1975 with no claims. All insurances have been priced very fairly in my opinion and all customer service has been excellent. Have checked out their closest rated competitor (Amica) but USAA is still tops in my opinion. :D
Over this time period, have you price shopped USAA against companies other than Amica? If you haven't, how do you know that your policies are priced competitively?

I do think that USAA is a great company, but there are quite a few other great companies out there as well, so you always have to price shop your insurance policies on a regular basis.