Help for setting up online store

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
financial.freedom

Help for setting up online store

Post by financial.freedom » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:52 pm

I have an idea for setting up an online store that fills a niche. I've researched that niche and do not see anything similar at this time. Have any Bogleheads had success setting up an online store selling T-shirts, mugs, art, etc. related to a specific niche? If so, do you have any advice?

metrunt

Re: Help for setting up online store

Post by metrunt » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:57 pm

What's your goal? Are you looking to create a complete business or have fun doing a hobby? If it's a business, you should put together a business plan. If it's a hobby, have you looked into on-demand services like Zazzle?

financial.freedom

Post by financial.freedom » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:16 pm

metrunt wrote:What's your goal? Are you looking to create a complete business or have fun doing a hobby? If it's a business, you should put together a business plan. If it's a hobby, have you looked into on-demand services like Zazzle?

Thank you for the reply. It's a hobby that may potentially turn into a business if successful.

Will Zazzle let me use my own website or do I have to go through their website? I will check it out.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:37 pm

Unless you REALLY need a dedicated online storefront, look into selling on Amazon and on ebay. It's not difficult to launch a website, but it is extremely difficult to reach critical mass.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:19 pm

It takes little effort to create a site even a store front. What is hard is generating traffic. The advise from whodidntante is sound. Test your product on eBay or Amazon. But first, you should research to see how well similar items are selling or if it is available. Then you can consider creating a store and pump ads to direct traffic to your site.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.