Early Retirement/Mobile Lifestyle

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
LuigiLikesPizza

Early Retirement/Mobile Lifestyle

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:48 am

I'm retiring in a couple years and expect to be busy working right up until the last months. I do plan to move away from this HCOL, but not sure where yet where I will permanently retire and likely won't have the time to do any advance scouting trips. Additionally, I plan to spend the early years of retirement doing quite a bit of travel.

It's starting to make sense to combine the travel with side trips to scout out retirement locations. I've been slowly downscaling my possessions and I've been selling and donating things. Once I get rid of my furniture, I'll be down to probably a 5 X10 footprint of boxes.

It seems to make sense to me to put my things in storage - probably somewhere midpoint on the East Coast of the US, since I'll end up retiring somewhere on the coast - then rent furnished places until I am ready to put down roots.

I am seeking any comments about this kind of lifestyle, particularly from people who may have led this kind of temporary, mobile lifestyle. I'll need to establish domicile for taxes and purposes of maintaining my drivers license, etc.

I pretty much already operate my life electronically - i.e., I receive very little paper mail (yeah!)

Thanks

Snowjob

Re: Early Retirement/Mobile Lifestyle

Post by Snowjob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:44 am

Might I ask how old you are and what your interests are?

I think this is a very different question depending on that age and desired activities etc. I am in my early 30's and would not be looking at something remotely close to this for some time but its an interesting thought exercise.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:24 am

This is a life style similar to what we are planning for. Keeping a big house and travelling around the world does not seem to be a good idea. We do not know how to deal with the house yet. Our current plan is to wait for my younger son to finish college and find a job. We may then sell our house and put our stuffs in his place. What we do not want to do is to change houses and places several times before and after the retirement. That is to avoid paying transaction cost many times.

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:21 am

We're doing it right now. Sold it all in July, (well, almost all) and hit the road.

50-50.us

Rick Ferri
The views expressed by Rick Ferri are strictly his own as a private investor and author and do not reflect the views of any entity or other persons.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:28 am

Rick Ferri wrote:We're doing it right now. Sold it all in July, (well, almost all) and hit the road.

50-50.us

Rick Ferri

Glad you are doing well and moving on to your next adventure!!

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:29 am

Rick Ferri wrote:We're doing it right now. Sold it all in July, (well, almost all) and hit the road.

50-50.us

Rick Ferri

Just curious.

Why a pullalong trailer versus a all-in-one?

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:33 am

I think it's a great idea. Before renting, could you initially drive up and down the coast and stay with any family, friends, camp, couch surf, AirBnB? That could give you a better feel for where you'd like your first place to be.

TexasMu

Post by TexasMu » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:40 am

check out http://www.cheaprvliving.com Bob has tons of articles and has a youtube channel called enigmatic nomadics. FYI, I have NO affiliation with him so I'm not spamming.

I definitely find the nomadic lifestyle very intriguing. From what I've read people are boondocking and living off less than $12K per year. Basically staying out west and vary location by heat / cool. IE go somewhere in the mountains when hot and move south when it is cold.

I would be lying if I said this lifestyle makes me question working and saving until I have a paid off house, hundreds of thousands of dollars in mutual funds and living on 4% SWR. :confused

I'm interested to see where this thread goes 8-)

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:42 am

Rick Ferri, just curious, why a pullalong trailer versus a all-in-one?

It all about preference. We prefer to disconnect the pickup from trailer and use it as our local transportation. Other people have a Class A or C and drag a toad (small car).

Rick Ferri
The views expressed by Rick Ferri are strictly his own as a private investor and author and do not reflect the views of any entity or other persons.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:48 am

Rick Ferri wrote:

It all about preference. We prefer to disconnect the pickup from trailer and use it as our local transportation. Other people have a Class A or C and drag a toad (small car).

Rick Ferri

Ah. I forgot that local transportation is needed.

I wish there was another way. I am very leery about about pulling a trailer or small car.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:51 am

50-50.us

Rick Ferri

Are you THE "Rick Ferri" on this forum?

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:05 am

flyingaway wrote:Are you THE "Rick Ferri" on this forum?

Ha! I think so.

Rick Ferri

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:13 am

go_mets wrote:
Rick Ferri wrote:

Rick Ferri

Ah. I forgot that local transportation is needed.

I wish there was another way. I am very leery about about pulling a trailer or small car.

If you are leery about towing, get a 5th wheel. The downside is that you have to have a pickup. The upside it that towing is a breeze. Other than acceleration, my pickup handles exactly the same whether I have the 5th wheel on the back or not.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

furnace

Post by furnace » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:44 am

You can live out of a minivan. Take a shower at a gym or motel. So easy to do - no towing risk, plenty of space.

alaskantraveler

Post by alaskantraveler » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:54 am

My wife and I are seriously considering this as a sabbatical before we reach retirement. My opinion is that a small to medium motorhome, one that you can still moved around easily is best. Have some bicycles and/or a motor scooter for getting around town. You could compliment the RV living with temporary stays in other people's timeshares. Check out tug2.com. You can rent other peoples timeshare weeks. We are interested in a US national parks tour, check out Canadian Parks as well. Find ways to buy discount gasoline with discounted gift cards, fuel rewards programs, etc. You could live on less than $2k/month.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:32 pm

We probably do not like the RV idea, which is too much. We are considering to drive a SUV with our tent and some equipment. We will probably stay at motels for most of the days and camp out for some of the days.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:37 pm

It sounds like a good idea but renting furnished places for short periods of time can be comparatively expensive to renting unfurnished places for longer periods of time. If you are in a HCOLA now that may not be such a concern. If you are very flexible and don't mind renting a room in an occupied apartment or having minimal furnishings, that would make it easier.

There are lots of blogs and websites about similar lifestyles.

I lived out of a backpack for six months and enjoyed it but like having a home. Regular hot showers and a refrigerator and running water and my own comfortable bed and my own computer are nice to have. The kind of lifestyle you are thinking about may make you appreciate the one you have now more if & when you return to it.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:49 pm

OP Luigi.
I retired early with no time to plan anything in advance. Don't worry. I am pretty sure if you have the money stuff mostly set up you can figure the rest out. You will just have to do some house selling and stuff arranging. Maybe you will want to plan to rent after you sell. Maybe you want to buy a RV to travel in while you decide where to live. There are lots of alternatives. The issue is to take time after retirement to really look around and see what you want to do next. It may take you a year or more to do this "rearranging" but if you stay within your budget everything will be fine.

I took almost two years downsizing my home and rearranging the money side of things all after I retired. I did no advance planning or selling. My youngest kid was a senior in high school. It took time to sell my big home and rental property to fund my retirement. I also had to shop for and buy a smaller retirement home to satisfy my wife that retiring early was good. I also did some retirement goofing off and traveling. It was fun.

I am sure you can do the same. Just watch your budget. Good Luck.

Rick.
I am pretty sure a "toad" is a type of frog. But I have been told that a "towed" is a small car that is towed behind a RV motor home. :happy :happy Good Luck.

FRWildcat

Post by FRWildcat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:22 pm

Four years ago I retired, sold my house, put some stuff in storage and hit the road in an RV. I'm still seaching for the 'perfect spot' to set down roots again. The RV community is huge, I've made many good friends in my travels. :happy

LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:56 pm

Thank you for the comments.

I have a rough plan for travel as follows, in chrono order:

- an extended world cruise
- extended travel to different parts of the world for a few months at at time, likely involved with volunteer projects
- domestic travel - type of vehicle, TBD. I'm also a points/miles hobbyist, so I might combine hotel stays with also using a van in safer areas.

Thanks.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:25 pm

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:I'm retiring in a couple years and expect to be busy working right up until the last months. I do plan to move away from this HCOL, but not sure where yet where I will permanently retire and likely won't have the time to do any advance scouting trips. Additionally, I plan to spend the early years of retirement doing quite a bit of travel.

It's starting to make sense to combine the travel with side trips to scout out retirement locations. I've been slowly downscaling my possessions and I've been selling and donating things. Once I get rid of my furniture, I'll be down to probably a 5 X10 footprint of boxes.

It seems to make sense to me to put my things in storage - probably somewhere midpoint on the East Coast of the US, since I'll end up retiring somewhere on the coast - then rent furnished places until I am ready to put down roots.

I am seeking any comments about this kind of lifestyle, particularly from people who may have led this kind of temporary, mobile lifestyle. I'll need to establish domicile for taxes and purposes of maintaining my drivers license, etc.

I pretty much already operate my life electronically - i.e., I receive very little paper mail (yeah!)

Thanks

I lived a mobile lifestyle for about 5 years in my 30s. YMMV, but what I found out was 3-6 months was a good range of time to live in a city. Less and it is difficult to get settled into the rhythm of the place. Longer and...well there are other places to explore. The duration I stayed in a city also had a factor on the location and amenities of the housing that I preferred. Two months or less and I preferred living close to where the action was and the creature comforts provided by the accommodation was less of a consideration. In such instances an extended stay hotel would often suffice. However, if staying for longer periods (3 months or more), I much preferred living in a place with more creature comforts and location was less important.

It is certainly easier to maintain the lifestyle the slower you travel. The faster you travel the quicker you will likely burn out. And everyone burns out eventually. Not necessarily burns out forever, but ends up settling in a place for a while to recharge.

On a final note, there are numerous ways to do this. If it just isn't working out for you it doesn't mean it was a bad idea, it's likely just you haven't matched the right travel style with the place and time.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:27 pm

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:Thank you for the comments.

I have a rough plan for travel as follows, in chrono order:

- an extended world cruise
- extended travel to different parts of the world for a few months at at time, likely involved with volunteer projects
- domestic travel - type of vehicle, TBD. I'm also a points/miles hobbyist, so I might combine hotel stays with also using a van in safer areas.

Thanks.

I'd switch the extended world cruise to the end. They can be done at any time in life.

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:33 pm

btenny wrote:Rick.
I am pretty sure a "toad" is a type of frog. But I have been told that a "towed" is a small car that is towed behind a RV motor home. :happy :happy Good Luck.

All this time I though a "towed" car was called a "toad". Duh! LOL

snowman

Post by snowman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:
btenny wrote:Rick.

All this time I though a "towed" car was called a "toad". Dah! LOL

We are preparing for this lifestyle as well. Cannot hit the road yet as our youngest is still in HS, but in the last 2 years we visited annual RV shows (the selection is mind boggling) and dealers in the area. That's where we learned the lingo I never heard of before (we have been tent camping all these years): your RV is a rig, your towed vehicle is a toad, and our usual tent camping in the middle of nowhere is actually called boondocking.

Good for you, Rick, enjoy it!

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:33 pm

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:I'm retiring in a couple years and expect to be busy working right up until the last months. I do plan to move away from this HCOL, but not sure where yet where I will permanently retire and likely won't have the time to do any advance scouting trips. Additionally, I plan to spend the early years of retirement doing quite a bit of travel.

Thanks

This is really individual (or couple if you are married). Some people like having roots in a community. Others like the constant change. And some are a mix (this is fun for a year and then they want to settle down).

How to do it depends on your goals? Want to live in 6 cities? The RV isn't great. Want to hit every national park on the west coast? RV/Van camping would be awesome. Your suggestion of renting furnished places suggests to me that you are leaning more towards the first than the later.