Comcast incorrectly told us there was an internet line - now what? - solved

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
notmyhand

Comcast incorrectly told us there was an internet line - now what? - solved

Post by notmyhand » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:11 pm

State of Pennsylvania - In late August, we made the decision to move to Pittsburgh for my husband's new job. I work from home so it was important I have quick internet available with no data cap. We also have a small farm so needed some acreage. We came out and looked at several homes a few minutes south of the city. When calling around to ask about internet, we were told they did not have any. We went home, researched with our realtor and online, and found a few options that did have internet (all on the high end of our scale versus the homes we originally looked at). Went back to view them, liked one, comcast's website said there was a comcast account already there, good to go, put an offer in. During inspection period, called Comcast to make sure online was good, they said yes there was internet there and we set up a date for them to come out and hook up the modem. I have an email that it would be $140 to do that and they would come out the day after we closed. Well the day after we closed, their tech comes out and says the closest line is a quarter of a mile away. We have been arguing with their executive team for two weeks now and they are proposing we pay 11k for a line and wait 180 days for them to put it in. No other provider besides satellite and cell phone companies available (not enough data or not quick enough). There are at least six homes on the path between here and where they have internet and two already said they would sign up (have not talked to the rest). Comcast's business division said they would not do it. What do I do - chalk it up and pay the 11k and waste income and time waiting for 180 days? Anyone know of any legislation out there that might cause comcast to right their wrong? I have my browser history, the screenshot of the address and their website saying it is available, and they have admitted they have looked up our calls and have those. Anyone had any luck getting Comcast to run a line if they got a petition going or anything else? Our township said they already have the right of way there so there wouldn't be any hiccups on their end from that. If I knew I was going to have to pay to put a line in I would have purchased one of the first homes which were much less expensive and done so. Very frustrated and not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for any advice and tips!

See below for update.
Last edited by notmyhand on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Re: Comcast incorrectly told us there was an internet line - now what?

Post by dm200 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:17 pm

Wow!

If you have not already done so, check with the applicable local jurisdiction about their "agreement" with Comcast and what Comcast is supposed to do and is allowed to not do. Was (or is) Comcast required to provide such service to all in the jurisdiciton or not?

What about the/a telephone company/provider, such as Verizon?

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:17 pm

Do you have a landline? If not, could you get one? Who provides it? Is DSL an option?.

notmyhand

Post by notmyhand » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:25 pm

No landline available. According to the townships, three providers have the township right of ways - Comcast, Atlantic Broadband, and a small fiber optic who said they will not cover our area. Atlantic BB does not have lines out to our neighborhood here either.

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:30 pm

I would be surprised if Comcast didn't have something in their terms of agreement that held them blameless for any misrepresentation. Still might be worth it to check with an (real estate?) attorney.

Have you checked with the local telephone company? A consultant I worked with, who lived out in the boonies, was able to get a T1 line installed so he could work from home. Not great speed but it may be an alternative.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:48 pm

How can there be no landline available? Isn't universal service the law?

Childay

Post by Childay » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:52 pm

We had similar issue except with DSL. We ended up using verizon data for the house with a booster antenna. Expensive but better than satellite. I think the cable company quoted $25k to run a line

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:07 pm

This is a tough situation. I'd keep fighting comcast for a little bit but start accepting the idea of losing this battle. Maybe see if your neighbors will split some of the cost of the new line.

vtjon

Post by vtjon » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:11 pm

I can confirm that the 180 day number is at least true if it's a "new construction" (as in cable) install. I built a new house and had to have a new drop/install done. I started the process on May 1 and it finally got installed March of the following year (so more than 180 days).

My original estimate for new construction was about $3K (back in 2013) with what was estimated to be amount a 1/4th of a mile. I do not know how accurate this was because they found a tap directly across the road and did not charge me since it was within range. When I went through the original process, I did have to involve the "construction" group at Comcast. It seems that these folks aren't contractors and I eventually got one of their cell phone numbers. If you already have a quote, you may have already completed this step. I did have to involve the Executive Team via email to originally get my ticket moving.

I'm sure none of this really solves your problem but wanted to give you some background. It will unfortunately be a slow process. My backup plan was to get in contact with my county that issues their franchise agreement/license but I didn't have to go that far.

Have you tried dealing with the residential side of Comcast vs Business? I work from home and have business however I don't ever mention it and only deal with the residential side. It's possible the business side has less experience with the construction piece and maybe higher costs.
Last edited by vtjon on Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:20 pm

Also can't hurt to contact the public utilities commission, local legislative representatives, local town council. Throw words around like fraud and misrepresentation. Get your realtor involved (they represented the house was serviceable), maybe the title company too.

Basically, be a loud, squeaky wheel.

Use words like "made whole".

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:23 pm

Saving$ wrote:How can there be no landline available? Isn't universal service the law?

If people drop their landline (or DSL) here AT+T will not hook it up again. Thankfully Comcast services the area and is cheaper/better/faster.
Comcast ran a 1/4 miles line to my house from the road including adding 1 pole for no charge a couple years ago. They have since extended it to other houses so perhaps that why it was free?
Last edited by hicabob on Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:26 pm

Google "internet company said there was service buying home". You are not alone.

There are options like https://www.ubnt.com/broadband/#airmax where you may be able to create a wireless solution and then become an ISP to your neighbors!

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:26 pm

vtjon wrote:
My original estimate for new construction was about $3K (back in 2013) with what was estimated to be amount a 1/4th of a mile. I do not know how accurate this was because they found a tap directly across the road and did not charge me since it was within range. When I went through the original process, I did have to involve the "construction" group at Comcast. It seems that these folks aren't contractors and I eventually got one of their cell phone numbers. If you already have a quote, you may have already completed this step. I did have to involve the Executive Team via email to originally get my ticket moving.
I tried unsuccessfully to get Time Warner to run under or over the road. They offered to run a great circle route and wanted $11.5k. I appealed to no avail. Told them to pound sand. Went with a mediocre Dsl.

notmyhand

Post by notmyhand » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:42 pm

My fault for not being clear. There is a phone line here but no one willing to offer dsl through that line. Not sure I understand why. Thanks for all of the thoughts everyone, please keep it coming.

Childay

Post by Childay » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:45 pm

notmyhand wrote:My fault for not being clear. There is a phone line here but no one willing to offer dsl through that line. Not sure I understand why. Thanks for all of the thoughts everyone, please keep it coming.
That's what they did to us also. The previous owners had service and then they refused to hook us up. They don't want to upgrade the hardware in our relatively rural area.

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:45 pm

Never believe anything Verizon or Comcast tells you. I am still fighting with Verizon because they quoted me one contract price and are charging another. They are impervious to complaints, they continually lie and give the run-around and all the local "regulatory" authorities are of no help. They even temporarily make the changes one month, then revert the next. They operate on the principle that the amounts are small, so you won't notice them or they will wear you down.

niven

Post by niven » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:17 pm

Unfortunately, I've read about these horror stories for many years and I don't believe I've ever read about someone successfully forcing an ISP to provide service in these circumstances. As someone else said, never believe what any ISP tells you, they make these mistakes all the time and don't have any responsibility to follow through if they subsequently find you are too far away from existing infrastructure.

Also, with companies wanting to get away from copper lines, they have no incentive to provide DSL anymore.

dpc

Post by dpc » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:21 pm

There is a phone line here but no one willing to offer dsl through that line
There are technical limitations to DSL over phone lines - mostly related to the distance between your location and telephone central office. Other issues are the quality of the of the line. Since it sounds like your new place is fairly remote, I suspect the distance may be too long to allow DSL.

Do you have a good wireless signal? Using your cell phone as a wireless hotspot could be a short-term bridge solution (albeit expensive) while you argue with Comcast, or look for somewhere else to move to. I find using my cell phone with an LTE data connection is pretty fast.

Good luck.

Dave
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

bnes

Post by bnes » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:25 pm

Had same thing happen. Bait... and switch. In my case nothing ever was done about it.

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:02 pm

People all over the world and all over the US are having problems like this. My daughter had to quit her job for a US company after the internet bandwidth necessary to do her job was not available in England. She tried all kinds of fixes and different houses after she moved there to still do her job. The bandwidth and latency and related issues were just too severe.

Two of my friends live 5 miles away across town up on a hill from me. The area is "county" but has tons of homes and lots of streets and so forth. The area only has internet DSL and low bandwidth at that. The cable company will not string the line for cable internet up the hill to the homes at that location. Most of them only have satellite TV as well as the TV cable package is limited as well.

This internet stuff is just like the cable install and limited coverage issues of the 1960s and phone issues of the 1950s. The companies will not install the lines unless they are guaranteed a big profit due to their monopoly positions.

I would suggest you move or your job may be in jeopardy. You have to figure out some way to get the necessary bandwidth. Can you go to the nearest small town and rent a small office that has the necessary internet setup? Then maybe use that setup a few day a week and a cell phone Hot Spot setup on the other days?

Good Luck.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Comcast failed to install Internet for 10 months then demanded $60,000 in fees
http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/03 ... 0-in-fees/

New homeowner selling house because he can’t get Comcast Internet
http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/03 ... -internet/

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:24 pm

Utter crooks. They pay millions to lobbyists and political campaigns to make sure the consumer has no rights at all.
I have emails showing misleading charges but even when I got corporate involved and complained to various agencies little was done, then they claim I agreed to close the case. They lie that they couldn't reach you and make promises they don't keep at every level. Now if you are in one of their bogus "contracts" (try to get a copy) and you move to an area with no service, they still charge you an early termination fee. If I hear one more time that we are "overregulated"....
Last edited by soboggled on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hand

Post by hand » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:25 pm

I'd be hopping mad too, but recognize that Comcast "told" you that internet was available and in all likelihood they didn't "commit" in any legal way that internet was or would be available.

Certainty try the squeaky wheel approach, but I would suggest adding a spoonful of sugar to your outrage and personally wouldn't pin all of your hopes on Comcast pulling through.

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:30 pm

hand wrote:I'd be hopping mad too, but recognize that Comcast "told" you that internet was available and in all likelihood they didn't "commit" in any legal way that internet was or would be available.

Certainty try the squeaky wheel approach, but I would suggest adding a spoonful of sugar to your outrage and personally wouldn't pin all of your hopes on Comcast pulling through.
Good luck with that. Even if you think you have it in writing, they have battalions of lawyers writing the contracts and squadrons of lobbyists writing the laws to make sure they don't have to do anything. Of course, nothing lost but time in trying but....

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Off topic but I remember back in the 90s just as the switch from dial-up to cable internet was beginning a local developer offered cable internet as a standard amenity with their home tech package. Home offices were just starting to become the thing and many buyers in the development were excited to be on the leading edge.

But within just a few years the speed that was obtainable over cable was vastly higher. But not for these poor souls stuck in the development. The fine print was they were locked into a 10 year contract at an atrocious rate and the cable company wasn't going to lift a finger to improve anything. By the end of the 10 years people were reporting that it was difficult to even sell their house since it was so poorly serviced.

dignan

Post by dignan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:51 pm

Your story sounds awfully familiar to this one.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:53 pm

this is not the first time i've read about this exact same type of story on an internet forum. don't remember where, tho.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:54 pm

dignan wrote:Your story sounds awfully familiar to this one.
we typed at the same time. maybe that's what i'm remembering.

Houe

Post by Houe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:56 pm

I'm in a similar situation. I can get a phone line but DSL is not available. The house up the road about a half mile can get DSL (1.5mbps - not great) but I am out of range. So my options are satellite, as a number of my neighbors use, or cell phone data plans. Honestly from what I hear the satellite internet should be the last resort even after cell phone internet.

My wife and I used a Verizon unlimited data plan in a "LTE Internet and Home Phone" router (see 3 below) as our internet for the past year however Verizon is cracking down on unlimited plans so this quit working a couple months ago. We had to find another solution...

If you are unable to convince the cable company to service you check a few things (in this order):
1. are there are any WISPs (wireless internet service provider) in your area? Do a search and see what is available. Some WISPS are pretty good. Some WISPs can be bad so this is hit and miss...
2. I ended up getting a plan from https://www.4gantennashop.com/ which is apparently a re-seller of AT&T/Cricket/T-Mobile broadband services. They do have unlimited plans. I have dual antennas on my roof running to a modem for my internet. I get 12 to 25mbps speed (depending on time of day) and its been quite good but I've only had it a little over a month so I don't have long term data. I have the "AT&T Blast" plan which is advertised as unlimited 25mbps service for $100 + tax.
3. AT&T has this: https://www.att.com/cellphones/att/wire ... ernet.html its 50GB for $100 per month - I know you said you needed unlimited, but for business you might be ok with 50GB if you aren't dealing with a lot of media stuff.
4. Verizon has "LTE Internet and Home Phone" router or other hot spots which allows you to share your plans data or "4G LTE Internet Installed" service which isn't quite as good as att's offerings in my opinion. 30GB for $100 I think.

just some options to check into.

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:59 pm

Most localities have certain disclosures that have to be made to every potential buyer. For example does the house of city water and sewage or is it well and a septic tank. Perhaps it is time that we add level of internet connectivity to the list?

Houe

Post by Houe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:01 pm

One other thing. Satellite internet companies are launching new satellites in the next year or so which may make them viable options - we will have to wait and see how that goes, but for now its not a good situation.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:48 pm

Thank you OP for posting this. We have been looking at some homes where DW might be able to work from home, but clear and stable video conferencing is a must. The realtor has told us that high speed Internet can be arranged at many of these homes; thanks for the warning.

ETA: I was interested to hear yesterday on Bloomberg that the #2 dollars spent on lobbying, after military contractors, is not healthcare, insurance, banks, etc., but cable companies.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:01 pm

Can you install an optical fiber drop yourself (ditch witch, contractor, whatever) to Comcast's closest service drop and get agreement from them to hook you up? You can add an extra loop or two in front of each neighbor with a plastic pull box so they could get service if they ran a line to it and paid comcast to hook them up, in exchange for letting you run the cable across their frontage. Obviously fancy brick driveways, etc, would make this a no-go, but if we're talking dirt roads, it's doable. A quarter mile is 1320 feet - not too bad.

In a previous life, we used to jimmy in fiber in whatever construction project was tearing up ground. If there was a trench, we'd get fiber in it.
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny. "You gotta fight for your right to party!" -Beastie Boys

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:07 pm

Recently, a friend of mine was shopping for a home outside of town. One of his primary requirements was it had to be serviceable by the local cable company for internet. It was such a priority that it was written as a contingency into all of his offers to purchase.

Sure enough, the house he purchased was verified by the seller to be serviceable (in this case, the estate of the previous owner) and turned out to not be. They, of course, had written (email) communication from the local cable company confirming serviceability. Final tab to run service was about $14,000.

In the end, it ended up involving the title insurance and lawyers, and at least a threatened fraud/liability claim against the sellers (who's insurance looked to the cable company). A check was ultimately written by someone for the $14k and the service was extended. It took a good year to get settled out, but now my friend has full service (and the neighbors on either side were able to tap in to the build as well).

This to me was a lesson learned and I'm going to make sure that similar language is in any purchase plans of our own in the future. Broadband is 1000% critical to everything in our lives.

As a technical solution, satellite internet might be an option. Latency is awful, but the speed is ok.

jjbiv

Post by jjbiv » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:42 pm

The easiest way to handle this type of situation is to not buy a house until your preferred Internet service is installed there (either in the seller's name or your name). At this point, however, I'd negotiate with Comcast. Their estimate might be highly inflated to ensure there are no surprise cost overruns. $10k for a quarter mile coax run seems excessive, especially if there are other potential customers along the way. If that doesn't work, try contacting the cable franchise authority. You might be able to get the agreement changed when it is up for renewal.

brennok

Post by brennok » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:30 pm

Beyond contacting the local franchising authority, I would file a FCC complaint.

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

ilostmywallet

Post by ilostmywallet » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:26 pm

why not use your cell as a hotspot

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:04 am

ilostmywallet wrote:why not use your cell as a hotspot
Cell data isn't very cheap, or fast.

ahmadcpa

Post by ahmadcpa » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:27 am

If you can maybe find a way to connect to the internet from a location close by, then you try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwsnZ9TC5eA

https://www.amazon.com/Ideaworks-Distan ... tance+wifi

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:46 am

BanditKing wrote: In the end, it ended up involving the title insurance and lawyers, and at least a threatened fraud/liability claim against the sellers (who's insurance looked to the cable company). A check was ultimately written by someone for the $14k and the service was extended. It took a good year to get settled out, but now my friend has full service (and the neighbors on either side were able to tap in to the build as well).
My guess would be that when all else fails...if you can document that the RE person and comcast both represented that it would be possible to get Broadband with no extraordinary measures... that Title insurance may be of help... the key work being MAY.

Then again.... I trust no internet company, especially Comcast, and no realtor, no contractor, and for that matter no financial advisor at their word... until I see the job is done and done well. Written agreements do not work until the work it done and done well, because the enforcement of a written agreement with some of these usual culprits is more trouble than simply not doing business with them.

Good luck...

M

Houe

Post by Houe » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:53 am

BanditKing wrote:
ilostmywallet wrote:why not use your cell as a hotspot
Cell data isn't very cheap, or fast.
Cell data speed can vary greatly depending on signal strength and congestion. Areas where cable and DSL are not available tend to be more rural and generally get better cell data speeds because not many people are using the service. Cell speed often compare nicely to DSL but generally is not as good as cable modem speeds. I get anywhere from 10 to 30mbps on my cell data internet which is decent albeit cable can get 50 to 100mbps. If a person is lucky enough to get FTTH (fiber to the home) then you can get 1gbps (1000mbps).

notmyhand

Post by notmyhand » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:28 am

To keep everyone updated- comcast called this morning and said they found an alternative route to our home that would cost us nothing and would take 90 days! Thank goodness!

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:36 am

notmyhand wrote:To keep everyone updated- comcast called this morning and said they found an alternative route to our home that would cost us nothing and would take 90 days! Thank goodness!
Thank you for that update. That's great news!! After all of this work is completed maybe you should communicate with them and ask Comcast for something in return for all this trouble. IE the sports package for free for a year, etc. I've done that before and they did it. It never hurts to ask. Good luck and BTW, I still don't like Comcast. :sharebeer

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Comcast incorrectly told us there was an internet line - now what? - solved

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:41 am

I recommend asking for an email confirming the details. More importantly, sign-up for a Comcast online account and get a service ticket number for your install.

Once the request is "in the system", you've got something that can be tracked by anyone in customer service / tech support.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:11 am

Very happy to hear there is a solution coming!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:24 am

notmyhand wrote:To keep everyone updated- comcast called this morning and said they found an alternative route to our home that would cost us nothing and would take 90 days! Thank goodness!
Wonderful! Will this also help your neighbors?

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:34 am

Yea! Personally I think I would suffer withdrawl symptoms if I did not have internet access.

tcassette

Post by tcassette » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:56 am

notmyhand wrote:State of Pennsylvania - In late August, we made the decision to move to Pittsburgh for my husband's new job. I work from home so it was important I have quick internet available with no data cap. We also have a small farm so needed some acreage. We came out and looked at several homes a few minutes south of the city. When calling around to ask about internet, we were told they did not have any. We went home, researched with our realtor and online, and found a few options that did have internet (all on the high end of our scale versus the homes we originally looked at). Went back to view them, liked one, comcast's website said there was a comcast account already there, good to go, put an offer in. During inspection period, called Comcast to make sure online was good, they said yes there was internet there and we set up a date for them to come out and hook up the modem. I have an email that it would be $140 to do that and they would come out the day after we closed. Well the day after we closed, their tech comes out and says the closest line is a quarter of a mile away. We have been arguing with their executive team for two weeks now and they are proposing we pay 11k for a line and wait 180 days for them to put it in. No other provider besides satellite and cell phone companies available (not enough data or not quick enough). There are at least six homes on the path between here and where they have internet and two already said they would sign up (have not talked to the rest). Comcast's business division said they would not do it. What do I do - chalk it up and pay the 11k and waste income and time waiting for 180 days? Anyone know of any legislation out there that might cause comcast to right their wrong? I have my browser history, the screenshot of the address and their website saying it is available, and they have admitted they have looked up our calls and have those. Anyone had any luck getting Comcast to run a line if they got a petition going or anything else? Our township said they already have the right of way there so there wouldn't be any hiccups on their end from that. If I knew I was going to have to pay to put a line in I would have purchased one of the first homes which were much less expensive and done so. Very frustrated and not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for any advice and tips!

See below for update.
My wife and I experienced a very similar situation with Charter Communications when we moved to Tennessee. We checked with Charter 3 different times via telephone and website to verify the house we wanted could get cable internet. After we moved in, we were told the line ended 0.6 miles up the road from us and for $8500 they would connect to our house.

As noted above, all the major communications companies seem to treat customers and potential customers poorly, and there is little that can be done about it. The politicians have been bought, and in many states like ours anti-competition laws have been passed that prevent municipal utilities and electric cooperatives from providing internet service in rural and semi-rural areas. :moneybag