Do I qualify for the Chase Sapphire Plus sign-on bonus?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
fetch5482

Do I qualify for the Chase Sapphire Plus sign-on bonus?

Post by fetch5482 »

Last year, my wife applied for a CSP card, and added me as an additional user on the card. We spent the required $3,000 within first 3 months to receive the 50k point bonus, plus 5k points for adding additional card member.

This year, I am planning to open another account. However, I am unsure if I would qualify for the sign-on rewards given that I was an additional holder on wife's account. I called Chase CSR to check and they did not seem very certain, although they pushed to open the account.

Does any one know?
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
playtothebeat

Re: Do I qualify for the Chase Sapphire Plus sign-on bonus?

Post by playtothebeat »

being an AU doesn't disqualify you from getting a sign on bonus yourself. you're good.
unless they recently changed the policy, which I'm not aware of
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

As long as they did not require your ss# to be on your wife's card account you should be fine.
nps

Post by nps »

You should be fine as far as the sign up bonus since you are only an authorized user on the other account.

Any reason you are chasing the CSP bonus instead of the Chase Sapphire Reserve?
dbr

Post by dbr »

The one hazard is that being an AU can count against the 5 x 24 rule excluding you from any card bonuses at Chase if you have opened more than 5 new credit cards from any bank in the last 24 months, counting AUs.

Banks have gotten to be serious about stopping bonus churning. The strategy at American Express is that card bonuses are now once in a lifetime. Chase uses the 5 x 24 rule.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

To add what others have said, it's very easy to remove yourself as an AU prior to your application. Just have your wife email Chase through the secure message portal and they'll do it, usually within 24 hours.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

There is no "Chase Sapphire Plus". CSP = Chase Sapphire Preferred. And no, you are not disqualified.

My husband and I each got CSP this year, and put each others as authorized users.
After the $4000 spending, we each collected 50,000 bonus points, 5000 points for AU, and about another 5000 points from the spending itself.
So, about 60,000 points each, which we combined.

I would recommend applying for the Chase Sapphire Reserve instead, however, as the bonus is much better - 100,000 points. And so are the other benefits. But don't add your SO as authorized user, as it costs an extra $75.

I also got my CSR this year, and am waiting for my 100,000 bonus points to post, hopefully on my next statement.
My husband finally got approved for his own CSR yesterday. We'll be looking forward to another 100,000 bonus points.
You can do a lot of travel on 320,000 UR points. Plus the CSR travel credits.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

nps wrote:
+1. The reserve is the bonus to get right now.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

whodidntante wrote:
nps wrote:
+1

If you qualify and travel, I figure I will net $1750 in the first year of the CSR. You need to cancel before getting hit with the annual fee a 2nd time.

-$300 per CALENDAR year travel reimbursement. This means $600 if you open the account early enough in the year.
-100k points. This is equal to $1500 travel through UR.
-$100 Global Entry reimbursement
AllenSmith

Post by AllenSmith »

I just applied for Chase Sapphire Reserve. Says it takes 30 days to get a decision. Anyone else get that long of a wait time?
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

AllenSmith wrote:I just applied for Chase Sapphire Reserve. Says it takes 30 days to get a decision. Anyone else get that long of a wait time?
I got that email too saying 30 days. It took them 13 to give it to me, but I didn't poke them. Others have poked them.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

AllenSmith wrote:I just applied for Chase Sapphire Reserve. Says it takes 30 days to get a decision. Anyone else get that long of a wait time?
Do you have a freeze with the credit bureau?
Topic Author
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

michaeljc70 wrote:
whodidntante wrote:
nps wrote:
+1

If you qualify and travel, I figure I will net $1750 in the first year of the CSR. You need to cancel before getting hit with the annual fee a 2nd time.

-$300 per CALENDAR year travel reimbursement. This means $600 if you open the account early enough in the year.
-100k points. This is equal to $1500 travel through UR.
-$100 Global Entry reimbursement
Thanks - I was not aware of this card. Looks like there is a $450 annual fee which is not waived in first year, but the benefits easily outweigh the fees.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Here's the message I got. Anybody know what all counts for travel reimbursement?
Thanks for applying.
We need to review your application a little longer.

We'll let you know our decision in writing as soon as we can. If we approve your application, you'll receive your card in the mail in 7-10 business days. Please don't resubmit your application.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

BW1985 wrote:Here's the message I got. Anybody know what all counts for travel reimbursement?
Thanks for applying.

We'll let you know our decision in writing as soon as we can. If we approve your application, you'll receive your card in the mail in 7-10 business days. Please don't resubmit your application.
Anything with a travel merchant code. This includes airlines, hotels, trains, local travel - I was reimbursed for a local bus pass, Uber, etc.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

michaeljc70 wrote:
BW1985 wrote:Here's the message I got. Anybody know what all counts for travel reimbursement?
Thanks for applying.

Anything with a travel merchant code. This includes airlines, hotels, trains, local travel - I was reimbursed for a local bus pass, Uber, etc.
Thanks.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

jeff1949 wrote:As long as they did not require your ss# to be on your wife's card account you should be fine.
+1. I added my wife to many of my cards just using her name. Lots of people have the same name.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

BW1985 wrote:
jeff1949 wrote:As long as they did not require your ss# to be on your wife's card account you should be fine.
+1. I added my wife to many of my cards just using her name. Lots of people have the same name.
I thought so too, but that is not the case. We are a same-sex couple and don't share the same last name either. Citi never asked me for my husband's SSN when I added him to the Citi Hilton card I applied for in August.

When he applied for the CSR, that Citi account was showing up and being counted as part of his accounts, and Chase was telling him he was at 7/24. I specifically spoke to Chase about it on the phone with a credit analyst during the secondary review for his CSR application. They requested that I remove him as authorized user from this new card, which I did.

We were finally able to get his CSR approved during secondary review on the phone on monday, and the card arrived this morning by UPS express.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

madbrain wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
I thought so too, but that is not the case. We are a same-sex couple and don't share the same last name either. Citi never asked me for my husband's SSN when I added him to the Citi Hilton card I applied for in August.

When he applied for the CSR, that Citi account was showing up and being counted as part of his accounts, and Chase was telling him he was at 7/24. I specifically spoke to Chase about it on the phone with a credit analyst during the secondary review for his CSR application. They requested that I remove him as authorized user from this new card, which I did.

We were finally able to get his CSR approved during secondary review on the phone on monday, and the card arrived this morning by UPS express.
Good to know. I'm removing my wife from AU on my cards now.
Topic Author
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

I finally applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card today, and received the "Your application is pending. We will let you know in 7-10 business days" message after completing the application.

We wanted to use this card towards our upcoming Hawaii vacation so we can get the necessary spending. We were looking to receive the card within a week or so, but looks like it may take longer :-(

Does any one know if the reconsideration line would give the card number if they approve it, so I can use it towards my purchase?

Walletless
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

walletless wrote:I finally applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card today, and received the "Your application is pending. We will let you know in 7-10 business days" message after completing the application.

We wanted to use this card towards our upcoming Hawaii vacation so we can get the necessary spending. We were looking to receive the card within a week or so, but looks like it may take longer :-(

Does any one know if the reconsideration line would give the card number if they approve it, so I can use it towards my purchase?

Walletless
No, the reconsideration line won't give you the card number if you are approved, only the credit line. However, Chase ships the card very quickly, only about 2 business days to receive it after approval.
student

Post by student »

walletless wrote:I finally applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card today, and received the "Your application is pending. We will let you know in 7-10 business days" message after completing the application.

Walletless
As per flyertalk, the following information may be useful:

"How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card:
1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720....
3. The expiration date is three years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2019.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined to your address."
Topic Author
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

madbrain wrote:

Walletless
No, the reconsideration line won't give you the card number if you are approved, only the credit line. However, Chase ships the card very quickly, only about 2 business days to receive it after approval.
Thanks! Logged into the account this morning and found that I have been approved for $34,000 credit limit.
Topic Author
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

student wrote: As per flyertalk, the following information may be useful:

"How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card:
1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720....
3. The expiration date is three years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2019.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined to your address."
Thanks Student, that is very helpful. Unfortunately Costco travel seems to require the CVV2 number for reservation, so I will have to wait for the physical card :-(
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

walletless wrote:
student wrote: As per flyertalk, the following information may be useful:

Thanks Student, that is very helpful. Unfortunately Costco travel seems to require the CVV2 number for reservation, so I will have to wait for the physical card :-(
My card was sent via UPS Next Day, so I wouldn't be putting so much effort into this.
Topic Author
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

Thanks everyone. One last quick question: has anyone used Costco travel service with the CSR card? I wanted to know if the transaction is treated in travel category or no.