IRS calling?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
denismurf

IRS calling?

Post by denismurf »

Last 2 weeks I got 3 recorded calls purporting to be from IRS telling me to phone them because of pending lawsuit. The phone numbers the recordings told me to call were : 805-722-1462 and 323-434-2156. The calls were obvious fakes.

Anybody else get such calls? Anybody here from IRS recognize these numbers? I phoned the IRS fraud hotline last week and left a message, but heard nothing back.
JW-Retired

Re: IRS calling?

Post by JW-Retired »

denismurf wrote:The calls were obvious fakes.

Anybody else get such calls?
We have received them for years. I thought everyone in the USA gets such calls at least weekly. You must have been lucky the last few years. :beer
JW
Last edited by JW-Retired on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired at Last
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

denismurf wrote:Last 2 weeks I got 3 recorded calls purporting to be from IRS telling me to phone them because of pending lawsuit. The phone numbers the recordings told me to call were : 805-722-1462 and 323-434-2156. The calls were obvious fakes.

Anybody else get such calls? Anybody here from IRS recognize these numbers? I phoned the IRS fraud hotline last week and left a message, but heard nothing back.
It's a scam and he warnings are all over the Internet. Even the IRS has put out warnings about this scam (they don't call).
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Yeah, I got one left on my answering machine. I just laughed and deleted it.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

800 notes has several comments about this number:
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-323-434-2156

They have already switched to another number -- usually spoofed.
Since this is usually operated out of India (for the most part)
there is little the IRS can do.
Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor »

Pro tip: if they are calling, they are not the IRS. The IRS does not call unscheduled. Ever.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
telemark

Post by telemark »

I actually was the target of a pending lawsuit once, and the first I heard about it was when the process server showed up at my door.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The IRS scam has been mentioned several times in this forum.

Unless there is something highly unusual, scams are off-topic. See: Standard Phishing/Scam Threads are now Off-Topic

(Topic locked.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.