Interview Follow-up

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
funeshah

Interview Follow-up

Post by funeshah » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi all,

I've been actively interviewing lately in the hopes of a career change (from the consulting world) to an internal consulting role at a fairly large company.

I've been through 2 rounds of interviews so far (1st round was with just the hiring manager, and the 2nd round was with 4 different senior leadership personnel in the organization). There were 3 other candidates also interviewing on that day - the hiring manager is growing a team and is looking to hire 4 new people into his role.

My feedback from the hiring manager was pretty good - and I currently have good feelings about getting a potential offer. The challenge is:

The hiring manager is also having a 2nd round of interviews for another group of candidates, and will be selecting from that entire population. That may not happen for a few weeks (with summer vacation and etc.) so it may be a while until I hear solid confirmation (or not).

In the meantime, the hiring manager has on several occasions (2) mentioned to me to reach out to him for any questions I may have. I feel that during the interview process, I have had many of my questions answered to this point.

What additional questions can I ask to show my continued interest in the role without merely asking questions for the sake of asking them?

Appreciate any input/advice/direction folks can give.

Thanks,

livesoft

Re: Interview Follow-up

Post by livesoft » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:30 pm

I don't have a good answer for you, but I can say that the hiring manager has probably treated all the candidates the same as you, so they all think they are going to get an offer.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

funeshah

Post by funeshah » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:45 pm

livesoft wrote:I don't have a good answer for you, but I can say that the hiring manager has probably treated all the candidates the same as you, so they all think they are going to get an offer.

Agree - but going to give it all I got until I hear otherwise. Just not sure what else to do/say at this point.

corwin

Post by corwin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:51 pm

I have interviewed many people and my HR director wife has interviewed thousands. You don't need a question to contact the hiring manager. Sometimes just a email or note to let them know that you are still interested in the job is appreciated.

I have seen the hiring process drag on and on because of travel by the decision-makers. You shouldn't take it as a negative that it is taking a while.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Last is usually better when presenting for interviews, sales, anything. People forget and remember best what they last saw.

Obviously you want to be in somewhat regular contact with the hiring manager. At least once a month until a decision is made.

I would suggest asking him for one or two peer level contacts of your new role that you could contact to gain better insight on working for that firm. I'd contact them each about a week or two apart. Have good line of questions for them, engage them well and at the end of the conversation just ask if they'd like you would appreciate it if they let the hiring manager know we spoke and provide any feedback to him that you think might help him with his decision.

Now you've separated yourself and he won't forget you.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:04 pm

In my opinion it really can't hurt to follow up to show you are still interested.

It could be as simple as sending an email thanking the hiring manager for his / her time and consideration.

If email is not an option a brief phone call to show sincere interest in the position could be helpful.

If you have already been ruled out you will annoy them slightly but they will get over it, and you have been ruled out anyways so no loss.

If they are on the fence with you, the follow up could be to your benefit. They could be on the fence for any number of reasons.

If they have already decided they are going to offer you a position, the follow up just solidifies the decision.

I speak from my experience as a hiring manager (one of many hats) of a small business for 20 plus years.

Good Luck
Last edited by StevieG72 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:18 pm

+1 on the don't have to have questions to follow up... you should follow up to thank everyone you interviewed with for their time and consideration as well as expressing your continued interest for the role. Potentially throw in a few things you learned and highlight again why you think you'd be a great fit for the role.

funeshah

Post by funeshah » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:39 pm

NoGambleNoFuture wrote:+1 on the don't have to have questions to follow up... you should follow up to thank everyone you interviewed with for their time and consideration as well as expressing your continued interest for the role. Potentially throw in a few things you learned and highlight again why you think you'd be a great fit for the role.

I already did the initial follow-up. As others suggested - perhaps I follow up again in a few days to show continued interest. Was hoping I could use/send a more specific message - but can't think of anything at the moment.

Thanks all for your input/insights!

campy2010

Post by campy2010 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:37 pm

I disagree with those who say it can't hurt to show you're still interested. Annoying the hiring manager by too frequent communication can hurt your chances of being hired. Imagine if you had 8 candidates for 4 positions and each of them emailed you once a week. If it takes a couple of minutes to read the email and a couple of minutes to create a cogent response, then responding to those emails is almost an hour of extra non-productive work in a week. Also, coming across as too eager may put you at a disadvantage for salary negotiations, if you eventually do get an offer.

My advice is to sit-tight and wait for their two-three week projected timeline to elapse. In the meantime, keep interviewing. Having another offer in hand is the best way to get the hiring process to move more quickly.

funeshah

Post by funeshah » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Thanks all for your feedback!