Is this an automatic change in Social Security?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
lucky3

Is this an automatic change in Social Security?

Post by lucky3 »

A few years ago I "filed and suspend" my SS benefits. When I become 70 in a few months, I checked, and was told my benefits would then be sent as I originally requested. During the "file and suspend" period my wife received 1/2 of my benefits. Am I correct in assuming that once I start to receive my full benefits at age 70 her benefits will revert back to her original benefits?

Lucky3
ObliviousInvestor

Re: Is this an automatic change in Social Security?

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Why would her benefit change when you reach 70?

sscritic notes via email that more information would be helpful here:
"Is she not still your wife?

What was she entitled to before?
Her own benefit plus an additional amount as your wife?
Only as your wife? (she filed a restricted application for wife benefits)

If she filed only as your wife and her own benefit increased by delayed retirement credits is greater than 1/2 your Primary Insurance Amount (your age 66 benefit), then she should apply for her own benefit when she reaches 70."
Last edited by ObliviousInvestor on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
Topic Author
lucky3

Post by lucky3 »

Oblivious:

Yes she is still my wife. She's three years older then me and originally filed for her own benefits at her full retirement age (before I filed). Then when I filed and suspended, her benefits were increased a bit (spousal benefits based on my filing). When I unsuspend in two months fom now...how then does that effect her individual benefit?

Lucky 3
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Her monthly benefit will not change when you unsuspend. She will continue to receive the same retirement benefit + spousal benefit combination that she has been receiving.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.