Barrier to credit card warranty protection claim

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Saving$

Barrier to credit card warranty protection claim

Post by Saving$ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:22 am

I'm posting this mostly to give other Bogleheads a "heads up" to avoid aggravation and possible loss of coverage and just in case anyone has any suggestions for resolution (short of writing to the CEO, etc.).

Like many, I have a credit card that offers additional warranty protection - it doubles the mfg warranty up to one full additional year. A consumer item with a one year mfg warranty that I purchased in 2014 literally burned out a few months ago - loud popping noise and smoke started coming out of it during use. I had owned the item for 19 months, so it was well within the credit cards advertised additional one year warranty.

Per the credit card directions, I called and made the claim. The place you call is a warranty service contractor to the credit card company, not the cc company itself. I had pdf's of the original purchase receipt, the original cc statement and the product warranty. The warranty service company assigned a claim number and said they would get back to me after their "investigation."

This is where it gets interesting. Two weeks later they sent an email stating they could not verify the original purchase; I needed to supply them with the entire original credit card number. I resent the original receipt and credit card statement, both of which only contain the last 4 digits of the original cc number. They replied that they needed the actual entire cc number used for the purchase to process the claim.

Although I still have that cc and use it frequently, since my original purchase in 2014, the cc company has reissued the cc with new numbers twice due to supposed data breaches. Neither the cc statements or the receipts contain the full cc number. I called and explained this and they said there was nothing they could do. I called the actual cc company to request my previous cc number, and they advised they are not authorized to provide this to anyone, including the customer. In both cases I requested to speak to a supervisor, and both repeated the above assertions. I even got the cc company on a three way call with their warranty service contractor, and neither would budge. Both reps admitted it was clear that I made the purchase based on the receipt and cc statement, but the warranty service company cannot process the claim without the full original cc number.

Unless I am willing to invest significant further time into this (which I'm not inclined to do since the original purchase was under $30) it appears I'm out of luck on this one. The lesson from this is that whenever the credit card company issues a new credit card for any reason, keep that entire cc number in case you ever need it for a situation similar to the above...

ResearchMed

Re: Barrier to credit card warranty protection claim

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:37 am

Saving$ wrote:I'm posting this mostly to give other Bogleheads a "heads up" to avoid aggravation and possible loss of coverage and just in case anyone has any suggestions for resolution (short of writing to the CEO, etc.).

Like many, I have a credit card that offers additional warranty protection - it doubles the mfg warranty up to one full additional year. A consumer item with a one year mfg warranty that I purchased in 2014 literally burned out a few months ago - loud popping noise and smoke started coming out of it during use. I had owned the item for 19 months, so it was well within the credit cards advertised additional one year warranty.

Per the credit card directions, I called and made the claim. The place you call is a warranty service contractor to the credit card company, not the cc company itself. I had pdf's of the original purchase receipt, the original cc statement and the product warranty. The warranty service company assigned a claim number and said they would get back to me after their "investigation."

This is where it gets interesting. Two weeks later they sent an email stating they could not verify the original purchase; I needed to supply them with the entire original credit card number. I resent the original receipt and credit card statement, both of which only contain the last 4 digits of the original cc number. They replied that they needed the actual entire cc number used for the purchase to process the claim.

Although I still have that cc and use it frequently, since my original purchase in 2014, the cc company has reissued the cc with new numbers twice due to supposed data breaches. Neither the cc statements or the receipts contain the full cc number. I called and explained this and they said there was nothing they could do. I called the actual cc company to request my previous cc number, and they advised they are not authorized to provide this to anyone, including the customer. In both cases I requested to speak to a supervisor, and both repeated the above assertions. I even got the cc company on a three way call with their warranty service contractor, and neither would budge. Both reps admitted it was clear that I made the purchase based on the receipt and cc statement, but the warranty service company cannot process the claim without the full original cc number.

Unless I am willing to invest significant further time into this (which I'm not inclined to do since the original purchase was under $30) it appears I'm out of luck on this one. The lesson from this is that whenever the credit card company issues a new credit card for any reason, keep that entire cc number in case you ever need it for a situation similar to the above...
Have you tried to provide the current (changed) number?
In many cases, the will be a sort of invisible transfer from number to number, with the same card.

And sometimes, ONLY the last 4 digits are changed. Is that possible?

Also, have you confirmed with card company that this "investigation company" IS supposed to get the full card number, that the receipts aren't really enough?

Good luck.
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:29 pm

ResearchMed wrote:Have you tried to provide the current (changed) number?
In many cases, the will be a sort of invisible transfer from number to number, with the same card.

And sometimes, ONLY the last 4 digits are changed. Is that possible?

Also, have you confirmed with card company that this "investigation company" IS supposed to get the full card number, that the receipts aren't really enough?

Good luck.
1. Yes, provided the current card number at the time of original claim.
2. I provided the last 4 digits at the time of purchase of the item; they said that was insufficient
3. CC company reps know nothing about the requirements of the third party warranty processing company, and I am not allowed to speak to anyone in the department that contracts with the third party. I could probably get somewhere via a letter writing campaign, but like I said, for $30...

I posted because this could be a very aggravating issue if the amount involved was, instead of $30, $300 or even more...

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:42 pm

What credit card company? The few times I've used this feature has been with an AMEX charge card and it has been relatively seamless.

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:04 pm

Me, too. I've twice used it with Amex, and nary a problem.

I'd like to know which credit card company to avoid.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:05 pm

Count me as the 3rd happy person using the Amex coverage.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:54 pm

The account number should be on your credit report.

If the account number doesn't suffice, I'd file a complaint with the CFPB.

Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:28 pm

Barclay's Mastercard.
I've also filed with Amex 2 or 3 times over the years and not had a problem.

lemonPepper

Post by lemonPepper » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:38 pm

You should be able to call the credit card company and ask them for the old card #. Many statements have the number in the payment portion.

I do take pictures of my old credit cards and store it in one drive for future use. The T&Cs do change from time to time so don't count on coverage. I think coverage for many items drops and some items are not even eligible for warranty coverage if they have more than 3 years of manufacturer's warranty.

I've found credit card provided insurance companies use tricks like these to deny coverage. I've had positive experience with amex and chase sapphrie preferred. Not so good with wells fargo and citibank, so I don't use those cards for stuff I will need warranty.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:43 pm

Saving$ wrote:...... consumer item...one year mfg warranty......purchased in 2014 literally burned out a few months ago - loud popping noise and smoke started coming out of it during use. .....
...... original purchase was under $30...
Okay, just have to ask since no one else has.
What was it? A toaster? Electric fan? Hair dryer?
The curiosity is Killing Me :P
Please enlighten us

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:18 am

drawpoker wrote:
Saving$ wrote:...... consumer item...one year mfg warranty......purchased in 2014 literally burned out a few months ago - loud popping noise and smoke started coming out of it during use. .....
Please enlighten us
What I also really want to know is, who the issuer is that is unwilling to give you the old number ?

Please name the bank, so I know who to avoid.
Was is FIA/BofA by any chance ? They sent us about 20 new cards over 2 years after account compromises happened - they were clearly on their side.
That's 2 accounts x 2 users x 5 replacements - 10 card numbers over 2 years.

If I were you, I would send an EECB .
https://consumerist.com/2007/05/11/how- ... rpet-bomb/

Also, I would go through social media channels : the company's Facebook and Twitter pages.
Complaining publicly usually gets their attention.

Like the OP, I'm very meticulous with statements and receipts. And I'm well aware of the extended warranty that credit cards provide, and I have used it before.

Lastly, I have found that the manufacturer of the item is willing to help even if the item is technically out of warranty, especially if it is a common product failure (you can find that out in Amazon reviews). I have items that were 3-6 months of warranty replaced at no charge. These were not very expensive items (<$50). But I contacted them first. I would have gone through the CC insurance next .

In any case, even if the CC insurance accepts your claim, they would want you to get a repair quote normally in order to know how much to pay, so you would often need to contact the manufacturer anyway - or a service center - for that quote.

Apparently, the lesson of the story :
Save the account number for every card you get that you activate. I guess that would mean scanning it.
It is really ridiculous, if a bank cannot keep track of its own account numbers !

It seems like insurance companies will use any ridiculous excuse not to pay. What's next - provide the GPS coordinates of the purchase location on the claim form ? Sorry I mentioned it, maybe someone from an insurance company is reading, I wouldn't want to give them any idea.

Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:03 pm

madbrain wrote:
What I also really want to know is, who the issuer is that is unwilling to give you the old number ?

Was is FIA/BofA by any chance ? They sent us about 20 new cards over 2 years after account compromises happened - they were clearly on their side.

Also, I would go through social media channels : the company's Facebook and Twitter pages.
Barclay's Sallie Mae World Mastercard
And this is the closest I get to doing Social Media. I'm scanning all my cards from now on. I'm also not as enthusiastically recommending the Barclay SMMC, fwiw

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:49 pm

I just had a similar problem. Cracked cell phone within 90 days of purchase. Original CC number was gone. Mine was the Fidelity AMEX, now Visa. Called Elan and they gave me the full old CC number. Strange yours won't give you a no longer valid CC number. Not like you can do anything with that anyway...
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:36 pm

Saving$ wrote: And this is the closest I get to doing Social Media. I'm scanning all my cards from now on. I'm also not as enthusiastically recommending the Barclay SMMC, fwiw
FYI, back when savings accounts paid a nice amount of interest, and when many credit cards had 0% balance transfer offers with no fee, I applied with a bunch of such cards, put all the money in accounts earning >5% . I think about $150k worth of 0% cash advances, so it was a nice chunk of change for not much work.

I had several cards with Barclay. One was maxed out for the above purpose. The other was a rewards card for all my regular spending.
One day, Barclay closed all my accounts without any advance notice. I found out at a store when my card was declined.
I forfeited several hundred dollars worth of rewards on that regular spending account as a result, and had to switch all my spending to other cards.
I appealed to them, even talked to a banker, but they clearly had figured out what I was up to, and didn't want me as a customer anymore.
I still didn't pay back the balance on that 0% Barclay card until one year later.

I'm sure all the other issuers figured it too by looking at my credit and all the maxed out new cards. But none of them ever took adverse action.
I have not applied for another Barclay card since that experience, and probably never will. They are probably fine with that.

Grogs

Post by Grogs » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:00 pm

Saving$ wrote:
madbrain wrote:

Barclay's Sallie Mae World Mastercard
And this is the closest I get to doing Social Media. I'm scanning all my cards from now on. I'm also not as enthusiastically recommending the Barclay SMMC, fwiw
This doesn't surprise me. I haven't had any problems with the card, and the rewards are good, but they don't really seem to have their act together. It's the only card I have that doesn't have a chip yet, and their online interface is fairly clunky. I have my account set to alert me anytime there's an online purchase, but it's normally 3-5 days after I make a purchase before I get an alert. By contrast, when I make a purchase with my AMEX card I usually get the alert before the confirmation email from the website. I'll continue to use the card for the reward categories, but for other things that only give 1% I'll stick with the AMEX for the better security and functionality.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:06 pm

Re: Barclay,
Grogs wrote: This doesn't surprise me. I haven't had any problems with the card, and the rewards are good, but they don't really seem to have their act together. It's the only card I have that doesn't have a chip yet, and their online interface is fairly clunky.
Most issuers that haven't sent chip cards automatically will actually do so if you request it. YMMV.

jumppilot

Post by jumppilot » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:02 pm

OP,

I recommend complaining on their Facebook and Twitter account. I had an issue with Fidelity where they wouldn't refund a $50 account closing fee, even though my account was only open for a week and they denied me for the service I was originally signing up for. Front line employees to supervisors wouldn't help me. I was angry to say the least.

On the recommendation of my social media savvy friend, I created a Twitter account and politely complained. Something along the lines, "I was looking forward to using Fidelity for all my investment needs but had a very negative experience with your customer service."

I received a message from a social media manager with a phone number to a higher up customer service rep. I called, talked to her and explained my situation and the way the process unfolded. She agreed with me and refunded my money.

Now Fidelity is in the running again for my future business.

goingup

Post by goingup » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:42 pm

Saving$-
Thanks for that info. It's a cautionary tale and I'll start documenting CC numbers. We've had several new CC numbers due to fraud breaches but I've never bothered to save the old CC numbers. Now I will! Thanks. :beer

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:45 pm

Saving$ wrote:I'm scanning all my cards from now on.
I have started doing the same, scanning front and back so I have the CVV too, in case the card issuers ever need that - this wouldn't on the statement or credit report. With the number of credit and debit cards I have recently received, I think there is market for a duplex credit-card scanner ;)

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:47 pm

jumppilot wrote: I received a message from a social media manager with a phone number to a higher up customer service rep. I called, talked to her and explained my situation and the way the process unfolded. She agreed with me and refunded my money.

Now Fidelity is in the running again for my future business.
I'm surprised you even had to resort to social media for such an issue - Fidelity customer service is usually pretty good. Not at all surprised the social media worked.

Today, I received a refund check for a Comcast business internet service I cancelled on 12/1/2015 . It took a lot of effort to get that $39.68 back. A big celebration is in order.

Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Grogs wrote: This doesn't surprise me. I haven't had any problems with the card, and the rewards are good, but they don't really seem to have their act together. It's the only card I have that doesn't have a chip yet, and their online interface is fairly clunky. I have my account set to alert me anytime there's an online purchase, but it's normally 3-5 days after I make a purchase before I get an alert. By contrast, when I make a purchase with my AMEX card I usually get the alert before the confirmation email from the website. I'll continue to use the card for the reward categories, but for other things that only give 1% I'll stick with the AMEX for the better security and functionality.
One of the reasons for one of the card replacements was to replace with chip cards. Interesting that yours does not.

And I like their online interface better than almost any other I use, so much so I mentioned it to a friend who is an app designer. It is simple and I can find what I want to do. I

I've never signed up for alerts, so can't speak to that.

Topic Author
Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:03 pm

madbrain wrote:
Saving$ wrote:I'm scanning all my cards from now on.
I have started doing the same, scanning front and back so I have the CVV too, in case the card issuers ever need that - this wouldn't on the statement or credit report. With the number of credit and debit cards I have recently received, I think there is market for a duplex credit-card scanner ;)
Good idea - I've not been scanning the back, but I think I will include that ....

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:07 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Please enlighten us
Me too. I want to know.