Good Non-Computer Jobs?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
heybro

Good Non-Computer Jobs?

Post by heybro » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:17 am

Dear Bogleheads Community,
I have enjoyed my time here a lot and have mostly posted in the investing categories.
Because everyone here is very smart, I thought I could ask a question that is related to employment.

Do you know of any good jobs that do not require the use of a computer?

I am young, have a four year college liberal arts degree, and I currently hold a good job.
Because of a nerve issue in my arm, for which I have had surgery for, it is not a good idea for me to work full time on a computer. (I try to limit my personal use of it as well). [Please do not hijack this thread as a medical advice thread. I can assure you, right now, there is no solution for working on a computer full time.]

Anyways, I currently work in retail and it is a good fit because I walk around a lot and do not use a computer. Sitting at a desk can be harmful to my nerve and so can standing in one spot for a long period of time. Moving around a lot but also not doing too much with my hands, is ideal.

I really see, typing it out, that there are little choices out there isn't there!

Here is what I have thought of so far (and keep in mind of course my current job may be the best fit):

Something in a hospital - delivering food or something.
Mail Carrier
Mental Health Technician (orderly)
Park Ranger
Forest Service
Forensics
X-ray Technician
Something with dogs.
Own my own Dairy Queen!

It means a lot to me to be able to post. I make about 30k right now. I am very smart but because of this nerve thing, my options have been limited. Thank you; Thank you!

AlohaJoe

Re: Good Non-Computer Jobs?

Post by AlohaJoe » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:59 am

There are plenty of non-computer jobs (or limited computer jobs). From a randomly Googled article about "21 best jobs of the future"...

- Elementary school teacher
- Nurse practitioner
- Electrician
- Wholesale and manufacturing reps (most sales jobs, for that matter)
- Health service manager
- Physical therapist

Most "good" jobs require some kind of special skill, which these days usually means training of some sort.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:12 am

When you were working toward your degree, did you have anything in mind for what you would do when you finished? Was there maybe a career that you would have liked to pursue, but because of the injury you could not/cannot? Even if you don't know the answers off the top of your head, or if you don't want to share them, thinking about the questions might help narrow things down a bit--interests, hobbies, passions, things you are most naturally inclined to do, or things you have done in the past or now that you could build on while moving closer to a new goal.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

celia

Post by celia » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:04 am

With your nerve issue, what motions can you do and NOT do besides keyboarding? Is it mainly in your hands or also your arms, legs, knees? (I don't mean to get personal, but to give you good ideas, we would need to know what specific physical limitations you have.)

Can you cook all day while standing, hold and use a book/pen/fork/keys/coffee cup, drive a car, garden, climb steps, remove things from a high shelf, lift items from the floor, walk a mile, tie your shoelaces, button buttons, kick a ball, etc?

Do you need to modify your home to have certain items at shoulder or waist height, to have firmer cushioning in chairs or bedding, put pencil grips around pencils for a better grasp?
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

joebh

Post by joebh » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:43 am

heybro wrote:I really see, typing it out, that there are little choices out there isn't there!
I have to disagree - there are many, many jobs that don't require the use of a computer.
Almost any non-office job would fit the wide profile you seek.

Starting with a limitation as your basis is the wrong approach.
Instead, decide what you like doing, then go looking for a job.

What did you enjoy during your studies? What do you like about retail? Go to the library (or spend a bit of time on your computer), and research jobs.
Talk to the placement office at your college about jobs.
You'll find plenty.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:37 am

There are plenty of jobs that do not require the use of a computer but even with some of those, you may find that some use of a computer is helpful. Have you considered voice recognition technology in lieu of keyboarding when you do need to use a computer? I am not familiar with any of those products, but I know they do exist and other people use them. Using a computer in that manner could help you both personally and professionally, although I understand that this would still be on a limited basis.

I do not think your physical or computer limitations should prevent you from being successful. Being smart and having the will to succeed go a long way in life. Best wishes!

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:08 am

Plumbers usually make decent money too. Just make sure to wash your hands at the end of the day :wink:

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:12 am

Provided that you have grip strength and fine motor control and the only problem is the repetitive motion of typing, you can probably do most non-office jobs! You should let us know if you have other specific limitations to use of your hands beyond typing.

You'll probably need further specialized training for most of the better paying ones but an associates or certificate will get you started quickly.

A few thoughts for middle and upper income career fields:

[*]Skilled trades including carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and masonry all use hands extensively and require fine motor but no need for much typing.

[*] Medical work including anesthesia, imaging, nursing, phlebotomy. Most of these require a little typing. Stay away from lab processing jobs - although they don't require typing, pipetting is just as bad for repetitive stress injuries.

[*] Forestry work. These are extremely physically challenging aside from hands so not a good fit for everyone but if you like working hard outside go for it.

[*]Oil and gas. Recently went bust but if you can handle feast and famine economics the fracking industry pays very well for a lot of physical jobs.

[*] Driving and delivery, including long haul, trains, subway.

[*]Plenty more. While you are finding the right fit you can bring in extra money in the gig economy - TaskRabbit, Uber, petsitting/walking. You'll need a smartphone but no more typing than you've done to write this post.

Generally you may find it takes some creativity to adjust as you move up as most supervisory jobs come with more typing these days. Getting used to voice recognition software would be a big help.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:15 am

It it safe for you to use tablet- or smartphone-type devices for limited data entry, for example as a UPS delivery driver? It seems to me that more and more jobs use those.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:38 am

Pretty much every job will require some use of a computer, but many do not require much use of a computer. Some computers do not look like computers. Generally (but not infallibly) the higher the skill level the less time you spend doing the same thing over and over, the more time you spend thinking, and the more likely it is to have choices. I know engineers with carpal tunnel, but I also know engineers that spend only a few minutes a day on data entry (that's what technicians are for).

If you like sales you could stick with that. Outsides sales is clearly an example (unless driving is a problem) but I know inside sales people who spend a lot of time wandering around with a blue-tooth head set. They do it so much they've been banned from certain parts of the building. Again skill is probably key, the low level positions get chained to a desk.

gbru316

Post by gbru316 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:02 am

carolinaman wrote:There are plenty of jobs that do not require the use of a computer but even with some of those, you may find that some use of a computer is helpful. Have you considered voice recognition technology in lieu of keyboarding when you do need to use a computer? I am not familiar with any of those products, but I know they do exist and other people use them.
Dragonspeak works pretty well.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:17 am

heybro wrote:I am young, have a four year college liberal arts degree, and I currently hold a good job.
Why not stay in that "good job"?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:53 pm

heybro wrote:I currently hold a good job.
Some companies have very good policies regarding making accomodations to employees. Some also have people (and even departments) devoted to workplace ergonomics.

If you current job is good - I thoroughly research company policies on accomodations and benefits available that could help you remain in position. Someone mentioned dragonspeak as an option. I had a coworker that swore by this software. There may be other options available as well.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:04 pm

Increasingly more and more professions have greatly increased use of computers as the normal part of the job. Certainly my Primary care physician, and almost all other physicians I see spend significantly more time "touching" the computer keyboard than "touching" me!

Two ideas:

1. Look for associations, support groups, etc. for your particular medical condition to see if there might be professions that might be a good fit. Also, the types of reasonable accommodations for employment that you might request.

2. Some kinds of computer use can be accomplished by means other than sitting at a desk using a keyboard and mouse. Might some of these better fit your medical situation?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:05 pm

plumbing
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:09 pm

heybro wrote: Moving around a lot but also not doing too much with my hands, is ideal.
Depending on where you live, maybe something in the event/tourism industry? Such as wedding planning, destination management, or being a tour guide?

For the latter, I'd imagine it would be potentially more lucrative if you hung out a shingle and came up with your own unique tour, rather than just work for an existing, "normal" tour company. Mystery/ghost tours, bike tours, wacky tours, that sort of thing.
Stay on target...

Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:22 pm

You are currently working in a job you consider a good job and good fit. It is in retail.

I don't understand the question regarding good non-computer jobs. There are lots of jobs, many which use computers but some that don't, and there could be adaptations (perhaps accommodations) including voice software that could increase your options by making more computer use available to you without causing discomfort or further injuring yourself.

Do I understand right that you consider your current job a good job and a good fit - if so, then why do you want to change jobs? Is the current job requiring more computer work than is advisable for you?
I don't know anything.

trix334

Post by trix334 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Life guard

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:22 pm

trix334, Welcome! FYI - you are bumping a 2016 thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:10 pm

You can work in a job that requires the use of a tablet instead of the old desktop. Many companies don't give provide desktop computers these days. Only laptops and tablets.

Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Retirement is a game best played by those prepared for more volatility in the future than has been seen in the past. The solution is not to predict investment losses but to prepare for them.