Livesoft's point 10 - charity donations from WF

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
nyblitz

Livesoft's point 10 - charity donations from WF

Post by nyblitz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:50 am

Livesoft,

Your point 10 from the following thread was very interesting:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194825&newpost=2969296

Is it easy to go into Wells Fargo branch to direct donations of stock to charity?

I've done it before (to a Fidelity DAF) and it required multiple attempts of faxes and forms.

By the way, I agree with your list and thanks for directing me to WF PMA. :beer

livesoft

Re: Livesoft's point 10 - charity donations from WF

Post by livesoft » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:53 am

nyblitz wrote:Livesoft,

Your point 10 from the following thread was very interesting:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194825&newpost=2969296

Is it easy to go into Wells Fargo branch to direct donations of stock to charity?

I've done it before (to a Fidelity DAF) and it required multiple attempts of faxes and forms.

By the way, I agree with your list and thanks for directing me to WF PMA. :beer
Never tried, but it is easy to go into TDAmeritrade and do that. The office is good for those last minute donations on 12/31 that you accidentally put off for some stupid reason.

WF has pretty straightforward ways to get PDF forms and then submit them by private messaging. Then you can call them up and discuss the form while they are looking at it themselves.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

nyblitz

Post by nyblitz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:58 am

Ok, I'll be the guinea pig on this one and report back.

Will do so in September though.

So curious -is Livesoft's best broker TD or WF?

Thanks again!

edited - must have read Livesoft's response too quickly as it now appears different than I recalled. Maybe I'll do 1 of each (office / scan form via PDF) and report back which is easier?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:31 am

nyblitz wrote:So curious -is Livesoft's best broker TD or WF?
I need both.

WF has trashed their user interface / web site to make it look like Fidelity, so I have to downgrade my opinion of it.

TDAmeritrade has real-time level II quotes which I will use even when submitting orders at WellsTrade. OTOH, WT has no restrictions for me on free trades like TDAmeritrade.

I have done Roth conversions and recharacterizations at both.

TDAmeritrade has a local office for me with competent staff. WT has great phone support, but I have only used it a couple times in a decade or so.

WT has the best executions and 1099 reporting, but those 1099s do not import into H&RBlock yet in 2016.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

nyblitz

Post by nyblitz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:41 am

Livesoft,

Agree on WF's UI. Also wish they hadn't messed with it.

Will open a TD account soon as well for new HSA.

Thanks for the write up and the tips about TD's offices (need to see if there are local offices to me) and level II quotes.

WF 1099 doesn't import to H&R? Investing - did not know this. Was looking to leave TT next year, but maybe not.

Many thanks indeed for saving me those headaches!

nyblitz

Post by nyblitz » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Reporting back.

Filled out Fidelity's paperwork, as it was easier to access for me.

Went to Fidelity branch and the rep looked it over and said it looked fine.

Went to WF and they said it should be fine (but didn't look it over in detail).

Went back to Fidelity (the offices were in the same building) and the Fidelity rep helpfully faxed it to the main office, printing me a copy.

The transfer showed up on Fidelity's website the next day, but was in a pending status.

About a month after submission, WF sent me a letter saying they would be unable to process it and to contact the DAF.

We were on vacation at the time and didn't get the message for a few weeks.

Contacted Fidelity DAF and the problem was this - only myself (and not my wife) had signed the form. I didn't have her sign the form as there was a portion for Medallion Sig's and I wasn't sure if that needed to be signed in the presence of "someone" (apparently that is not needed).

So I printed off the last page (now signed by both of us) and sent it with a hand-written note to Fidelity. About 2 weeks later, the transfer went through.

Hope this is helpful!