How many "investment" accounts do you have?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Tamales

How many "investment" accounts do you have?

Post by Tamales »

When I first joined this forum 2 years ago, one thing I wanted to do was greatly reduce the number of accounts I had. Instead, I have increased the number of accounts. By quite a lot actually.

Counting after-tax brokerage accounts, checking accounts, savings accounts, retirement accounts, CD accounts, a company stock account, and an HSA account, I have a whopping 21 accounts.

But 12 of those are CD or bank accounts that are pretty stagnant and don't require much work to manage them except at tax time, and even that isn't much work.

How much have you either decreased or increased your number of accounts over say the past 5 years? How much has your time spent managing and tracking them changed?

Believe it or not (and even though it does still require a fair bit of time) I think I spend less time than before, primarily because I have greatly decreased the number of holdings (I still had quite a few individual stocks and a scattered assortment of mutual funds at the time), even though I have more accounts now.
Bracket

Re: How many "investment" accounts do you have?

Post by Bracket »

I feel the same. Once upon a time I had a TSP and my bank accounts. Then I got married and added wife's 401k and bank accounts. Then we started IRAs, then they changed the laws so we opened Roth's so we could backdoor them, then new job so new 401k, then better job so more income so maxed out tax advantaged space so added a Vanguard brokerage account for taxable investing, then wanted some iShares ETFs to TLH the Vanguard ones so opened a Fidelity brokerage to avoid commissions, then added I Bonds so opened a Treasury Direct account, then had a kid so opened a 529 account, and on and on.

Most recently I switched to a high deductible health insurance plan so I opened an HSA account. But they offer a TD Ameritrade brokerage link so I opened yet another account with them.

I also have a Landing Club account. Then I had to go and read about Emergdoc's experience with syndicated real estate platforms, so most recent new accounts are these. I figure at this rate I'll have about 100 accounts by the time I retire. :D

I spend maybe 1-2 hours per month keeping track of all this. I use Fund Manager to keep track so it's not all that hard. Some of the accounts don't support importing the info so I have to manually enter. Otherwise it's fairly straightforward. I definiteIy spend more time than I used to but it's basically the same process: stick to my AA, buy, hold, and rebalance. Only I just have to do this over a larger number of accounts.

The strategy remains fairly simple while the execution is slightly more complex.

Post by 123 »

Aside from current 401K accounts and bank checking/savings/CD accounts we have 8 "investment accounts" distributed among Vanguard, Fidelity, and Schwab. A mix of traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, Inherited IRA and taxable accounts.

Multiple taxable accounts are kept to segregate for different purposes. There is a long-term holdings account, a small "play" money account, and a children's college/education account mostly funded by gifts. (We elected not to go the 529 route due to limitations in the plans. A Coverdell ESA account has already been exhausted).

We closed Treasury Direct account when we resolved that we could do all treasury auction participation through brokerage without a fee (due to low interest rates the Treasury Direct account just petered out). Within the investment accounts we do have some brokered CDs. In some cases we have accepted the sometimes lower rate on a brokered CD for the sake of investing simplicity.

Our investment accounts are primarily composed of ETFs from a classic 4 fund portfolio so there's not much to maintain actually. Smaller accounts may only have 1 ETF/fund in them so most of the rebalancing activity happens in a couple of larger accounts.

We believe in paper statements so accounts can be readily identified in the event one or both of us passes away. We make a conscious effort to minimize transactions so that statements are only generated quarterly.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
basspond

Post by basspond »

Too many too. Just keep them all well documented. But ever since Madoff and Stanford I want to be a little diversified in my accounts.
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

I have money at 3 institutions, with several sub accounts in each:
  • Capital One 360
    • Checking
    • General Savings
    • Emergency Fund
    • Gifts
    • Flying
    • Vacation
    • Shared Savings
    • Home Down Payment
      • 3 CD's
        1 Regular Savings
  • FIdelity
    • Taxable
    • IRA
    • Roth IRA
    • Checking
    • Health Savings Account
    • ESPP
  • Credit Union
    • Checking
So 19 different accounts. Wow, I never tallied them like this before. The only redundancy is having 3 checking accounts, but they are useful for different things. Fidelity allows me to access any ATM without worrying about fees (useful for travel and when finding myself in a cash-only establishment with a high fee ATM), 360 is just convenient since I can sweep into and out of savings easily. I suppose the credit union checking is redundant, but I use it as a relatively isolated account that receives direct deposit funds in an amount such that there is always just enough for rent and utilities without thinking.
Topic Author
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

Bracket wrote: I spend maybe 1-2 hours per month keeping track of all this. I use Fund Manager to keep track so it's not all that hard. Some of the accounts don't support importing the info so I have to manually enter. Otherwise it's fairly straightforward.
I remember looking into the FundManager software at one time. I'll have to revisit that. I've just been using Excel and I'm on about the 4th iteration of my tracking spreadsheet (you figure out ways to streamline it as you go, or add new accounts that don't quite fit the previous template).
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Tamales wrote:
Bracket wrote: I spend maybe 1-2 hours per month keeping track of all this. I use Fund Manager to keep track so it's not all that hard. Some of the accounts don't support importing the info so I have to manually enter. Otherwise it's fairly straightforward.
I remember looking into the FundManager software at one time. I'll have to revisit that. I've just been using Excel and I'm on about the 4th iteration of my tracking spreadsheet (you figure out ways to streamline it as you go, or add new accounts that don't quite fit the previous template).
+1 on using Excel to track multiple accounts. On nice feature is you can set up the worksheet to summarize the portfolio, like calculating total expense ratios and asset allocations across multiple accounts.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I'm not sure I'd call my checking account an investment account.
Nor would I call my Ally Bank high yield (ha ha) savings account one either. I'm not even sure why I still have this.

I look more at how many fund companies I have accounts with. In my case the answer is TWO: TIAA and Vanguard.
That's as simple as it ever needs to be...
Attempted new signature...
fcox85

Post by fcox85 »

I was initially going to respond that I only have 2 "investment" accounts - 401(k) and HSA. However, I then remembered that I signed up for a "brokerage window" through my 401(k) that still houses the majority of my funds in my 401(k), and that my HSA is technically divided into 2 accounts as well (savings/cash and investment). So, I guess I have 4.
Topic Author
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

The Wizard wrote:I'm not sure I'd call my checking account an investment account.
Nor would I call my Ally Bank high yield (ha ha) savings account one either. I'm not even sure why I still have this.

Well "investment" was in quotes to account for that ambiguity. A tally of all accounts that have money or securities (i.e. accounts you have to keep track of) was my question.

I look more at how many fund companies I have accounts with. In my case the answer is TWO: TIAA and Vanguard.
That's as simple as it ever needs to be...

I assume you meant "as complex as it ever needs to be" but in any case, that may be true for you, but it's certainly not true for everyone. Probably not even true for a majority of people, except perhaps if you are already retired. Some accounts cannot be consolidated for various reasons, and others are not consolidated by choice.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

3 investment accounts:
401(k)
Roth IRA
HSA (I guess technically this is a cash account and an investment account)

And 3 bank accounts:
Checking - hub account which receives direct deposit and auto-pays mortgage, recurring drafts, and credit cards
Savings account - BoA requires me to have this to get bonus rewards, sits at minimum to avoid fees and dumps into checking periodically - once I get a Citi DoubleCash, this thing is toast
Savings/CDs - I guess this is 5 CDs and savings all together but I count them as one account as Barclays makes them so easy to manage

I consolidated a small taxable account and two different credit union MM last year. I'm pretty quick to consolidate and close accounts that don't make sense anymore.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We have decreased accounts because one of our children is launched, so one less 529, one less UTMA, etc. Otherwise we have the usual 16 or so accounts that married couples with children have to have:
Joint checking
Joint taxable
Roth IRAs
traditional/rollover IRAs
inherited IRAs
401(k)s
403(b)s
HSA
FSA
UTMA

Plus we have extra Roth and traditional IRAs because we are in the midst of Roth conversions and recharacterizations. And add in a Roth IRA for each child at home, too.

Don't all married couples have 20 or more accounts?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Married couple here.

6 accounts.
Last edited by lostdog on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 »

23 accounts
aj76er

Post by aj76er »

Fidelity:
Brokerage
ESPP
RSU's

Vanguard:
Brokerage
Roth IRA

Capitol One 360:
Checking (Used only for managing a rental)
Savings (EF in 1% Money Market)
Cash-back Credit Card

Wells Fargo:
Checking
Savings (with only a token amount to avoid fees)
Travel-awards Credit Card

E-trade:
Brokerage (Only some legacy ESPP here)

American Funds:
Mutual Fund (gifted to me as a child)

HSA:
Work-sponsered plan

Chase:
Awards Credit Card

Within a year, I will probably close the Vanguard account and rollover everything to Fidelity. The E-trade account will eventually be closed once I finish donating the shares left in the brokerage (within ~5yrs or so). Some day, I'd like to close the Wells Fargo account and just use Capitol One 360, perhaps just keeping the credit card open (as it is my oldest card with most credit history). My plan is to spend the American Funds for a year of travel within the next 10yrs or so :). So, that would leave me with only 5 accounts (but only Fidelity + CapitolOne would be used with any frequency).
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 »

24 accounts in 5 different companies. Need to streamline this more
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I've been fighting and struggling to cut down on the number of financial accounts we have, and the number of firms we have them with, since about 2007. It's a little hard to know what to count as an "account."

My wife and now have accounts at only one brick-and-mortar bank. I have an account at one online bank. Five years ago I had one more, which I closed. Unfortunately, due to the end of paper savings bonds, I was "forced" to open a Treasury Direct account in order to make new I-bond purchases. I don't know if that should count as a savings account or an investment account. My wife "had" to open one as well.

We now hold no individual securities at all, only mutual funds. We hold them at a single firm, Vanguard, in three accounts: my rollover IRA, my Roth IRA, and her Roth IRA. So I consider that to be "three investment accounts." I'm using "account" to mean "the set of digits after the hyphen." Vanguard sometimes considers each mutual fund to be a separate "account."

About once a year I ask my wife to list out loud, from memory, the names of every firm at which our family has financial assets. It's now down to four: one physical bank, one online bank, Treasury Direct, and Vanguard.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We have four investment portfolio accounts.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
523HRR

Post by 523HRR »

33 investment accounts, excluding 6 checking, savings and money market.

7 brokerage accounts
5 traditional/rollover IRAs
6 contributory pension accounts
4 Roth IRAs
2 401Ks
2 deferred compensation accounts
2 restricted stock accounts
2 direct purchase stock accounts
1 Health Savings Account (HSA)
1 529 Plan
1 Education Savings Account (ESA)
student

Post by student »

33. I am trying to consolidate.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Two:

Vanguard Roth

TSP
Gordon
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I wanted to add:

Vanguard, Taxable and two Roth IRA's. One employer plan.

Best.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Vanguard taxable brokerage
Vanguard Roth IRA
Current employer plan
Old employer plan which doesn't allow me to withdraw match until age 55
HSA (with brokerage account)

That's five, or six if you count the cash in HSA Bank separate from the TD Ameritrade brokerage. (I don't, as I view that cash as brokerage cash; when I have enough to be worth buying more ETFs, I move the cash to the brokerage account and then buy as many shares as I can.)
Wiki David Grabiner
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

It looks like even those of us who are trying to "keep it simple" have a hard time doing so because we need all of these different accounts.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Tamales wrote:Instead, I have increased the number of accounts. By quite a lot actually.
Imo, it's not the number of accounts that's an issue; it's the number of custodians. We have 8 or 9 accts of various registrations (individual, joint, etc.) at VG alone between spouse and myself, but I can see them all on one screen with a single log-in. This makes it so easy to TLH and quickly exchange from one VG fund to another without risking significant market movement in the time it takes to transfer assets or for a mutual fund sale to settle. Since I generally only TLH when the market drops, a lot can happen in that one day.

I'll add from experience: think about your heirs and how easily they'll be able to track this down and clean it all up. I had to help a family member do this for an individual who had many dozens of accounts with small pieces everywhere. Most of this was from the dawn of the mutual fund era when the funds had to be directly acquired from and held by (say) Janus, American Century, etc. Consolidating all of this was a big job -- especially since some of the smaller custodians could never. quite. let. go. Had to ask for each transfer three times, at least.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
crit

Post by crit »

Hmm, good exercise. Couple, no kids, no HSAs:

Vanguard:
Her Roth
His Roth
His rollover IRA
Joint brokerage (actually two since mine isn't upgraded yet?)
Her old 403b
His old money market.
Her tIRA

Some company: (empower?)
His 401k

Tiaa
Her 403b, which is two subaccounts, one employer, one voluntary.
Her old 403b

BofA
Joint checking
Her old checking

ING
One old online savings.

I think that's it, aside from the mortgage. Don't ask me about credit card accounts, though, I'm sure I have at least two that I don't think I even have a physical card for.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

gkaplan wrote:Two:

Vanguard Roth

TSP
Hi Gordon,

I thought you had mentioned you preferred Fidelity over Vanguard.

Good post.
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

Too many:

joint checking
Other joint checking
rental checking
Roth IRA his
Roth IRA hers
401k his
401k his old employer (no expense ratios so we leave it)
401k hers
brokerage his (aka joint)
HSA
HSA investment account
trust brokerage (hers)
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

When we retire, the plan to to consolidate the employer plan into our IRA and reduce one additional account.
Topic Author
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

daveydoo wrote:
Tamales wrote:Instead, I have increased the number of accounts. By quite a lot actually.
Imo, it's not the number of accounts that's an issue; it's the number of custodians. We have 8 or 9 accts of various registrations (individual, joint, etc.) at VG alone between spouse and myself, but I can see them all on one screen with a single log-in.

I'll add from experience: think about your heirs and how easily they'll be able to track this down and clean it all up. I had to help a family member do this for an individual who had many dozens of accounts with small pieces everywhere. Most of this was from the dawn of the mutual fund era when the funds had to be directly acquired from and held by (say) Janus, American Century, etc. Consolidating all of this was a big job -- especially since some of the smaller custodians could never. quite. let. go. Had to ask for each transfer three times, at least.
Good point about needing documentation for heirs to track down all accounts. Sometimes even spouses are not aware of the totality of accounts between them.

I agree that the number of custodians matters for ease of viewing accounts, but each separate account with separate statements and separate tax implications also has an effect. Number of holdings also has an effect on management time and taxes. So it's hard to reduce it to just a single factor as being the most important, and each person has to think about the benefits of retaining versus consolidating. Consolidating sometimes has other costs besides time spent managing the account.
hirlaw

Post by hirlaw »

401k's at work
IRA's at Vanguard and Fidelity
Brokerage at Fidelity
Ally Accounts
CIT Bank Accounts
Treasury I-Bonds

I agree with previous post about informing your heirs about your accounts. In the old days, an estate administrator could monitor the mail to find accounts of which the heirs were unaware. With online accounts and statements, this doesn't work. We keep a hard-copy notebook we jokingly call "The Dead Book", for my spouse (for when I die or am incapacitated) and for the heirs. Another copy of the notebook goes to another family member. The notebook has copy of all wills, powers of attorneys, accounts, other info. Of course, you could have an e-copy of this info if you prefer.
Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy »

I've tried to keep it as simple as possible:

Bank - Savings and Checkings
Vanguard - Roth and Traditional
Lending Club

That's it.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
bs010101

Post by bs010101 »

My 401K, my wife's SEP-IRA, and my rollover IRA. College funds for each kid. Taxable account. Donor advised fund, if you count that. But taxable and all retirement accounts (except the active 401K) are at Vanguard, and the 401K is only invested in Vanguard funds, as are the college funds. The DAF is the only one at Fidelity, due to the low minimums. So I think it's relatively simple.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

We have five investment accounts:
1) Vanguard brokerage (after tax)
2) Vanguard Roth IRA's for self and DW
3) Family HSA
4) DW's employment 401K
5) My self employment retirement plan (Vanguard)

Sincerely,
gasdoc
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

GoldenFinch wrote:It looks like even those of us who are trying to "keep it simple" have a hard time doing so because we need all of these different accounts.
I see no need to be obsessive about simplifying.
Some things will self simplify as you get older, the kids exit college and you start Medicare.
In my case, I'm doing a full backdoor Roth contribution this year for the first time ever.
Step one in that process was to do a rollover of my modest Vanguard tIRA (all pre-tax contributions) to my 403(B) account at TIAA.
Had I rolled the funds in those accounts to Vanguard for slightly lower ERs and closed them, then I daresay this avenue would be cut off from me...
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

11 for married couple. This includes $5 credit union accounts required to buy CDs. Six meaningful accounts.
RSLusc07

Post by RSLusc07 »

58 different accounts for my parents, I just started helping them streamline it down.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

RSLusc07 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:40 pm 58 different accounts for my parents, I just started helping them streamline it down.
Really? They were able to manage this????

gasdoc
goingup

Post by goingup »

RSLusc07 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:40 pm 58 different accounts for my parents, I just started helping them streamline it down.
I wonder if you mean individual funds or stocks? Having 58 accounts would be a full time job. :wink:
macman_65

Post by macman_65 »

Fidelity: 401K, Roth
Scottrade: brokerage, Roth
Computershare: brokerage
Ally: Checking, Savings, MM
Local CU: Checking, Savings
529 for each kid (2)
Pension
dcdowden

Post by dcdowden »

Retired couple: 9 Accounts total

Fidelity
His and Her IRA's

Vanguard
His and Her Trust Taxable Brokerage Accounts

BMO Harris Bank
Checking
His and Her HSA's

Northern Trust
Checking
Still have auto deposit and auto pay our of this account, so haven't bothered to consolodate.

Bright Start
529 Plan
523HRR

Post by 523HRR »

Married couple.
37 financial accounts:

2 x checking
2 x savings
2 x money market
9 x brokerage accounts
5 x t-IRA
4 x Roth IRA
2 x 401k
6 x contributory pensions
2 x deferred compensation
1 x HSA
1 x ESA
1 x 529
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Tamales wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:44 pmWhen I first joined this forum 2 years ago, one thing I wanted to do was greatly reduce the number of accounts I had. Instead, I have increased the number of accounts. By quite a lot actually.
I'm aiming for the same goal, and started with around 30 financial accounts, and I've been treading water these last few years. While I've closed a few accounts, I've opened some as well. What has changed is the character and concentration of the accounts. Some of the less important accounts have had much reduced activity or become dormant, and the retirement accounts have become dominant, so while I have several investment accounts, there are some that don't have significant funds, so can be more easily ignored or neglected. I've tried to close some, but there is a lose string or two keeping it around. My long term goal is to get into single digits, but I'm not sure it's achievable (529, HSA, 401k, taxable, Roth, etc. with sometimes several in a category).
GMT-8

Post by GMT-8 »

Married mostly-retired couple, after 2 years of simplifying, I thought I had about 10 accounts, but a careful review of my log-on passwords indicated we have 18-20 accounts:

Credit union = 4 accounts (savings, checking, business checking, and credit card)
Bank 1 = 2 accounts (business checking and credit card)
Bank 2 = 1 account (credit card)
Bank 3 = 1 account (overseas banking)
Bank 4 = 1 account (car lease)
PayPal = 1 account (I'll bet most people forget this!)
TIAA = 2 contracts (transfer payout annuity + mutual funds)
Vanguard = 5 accounts (His IRA, Her IRA, joint after-tax, separate his & hers inheritance)
Insurance = 1 account (annuity)
ExEmployer = 1 pension
VCharitable = 1 account (donor advised trust)
SocialSecurity= 2 accounts (do these count?)
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I bonus chase so I have a ton of checking and credit card accounts.

With regards to actual investment accounts that have money in them:

1) Individual taxable brokerage account in my name with premarital money
2) Joint taxable brokerage account in both my wife and my name
3) Roth IRA in my name
4) Roth IRA in wife's name
5) Rollover IRA in my name
6) Rollover IRA in wife's name
7) HSA brokerage
8) 401k in my name
9) 401k in wife's name
10) Joint taxable account (few $100 in individual stocks)
11) Individual taxable account in my name (few $100 in individual stocks)
12) UTMA for nephew

I have some other accounts that are dormant and have no money in them.
goingup

Post by goingup »

523HRR wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 pm 37 financial accounts:
WOW!
9 x brokerage accounts
Gulp.
6 x contributory pensions
:moneybag
Do you ever think about simplifying or consolidating?
MnD

Post by MnD »

8 investments accounts
3 bank accounts

4 of the investment accounts are related to tax or employer reasons and would be foolish or impossible to close now.
They will be closed within a few years max.
1 of the bank accounts goes away when the mortgage is paid off in a few months.

Should end up with 4 investment accounts (her rollover IRA, my rollover IRA, my TSP, our taxable) plus 1 checking and 1 savings.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
523HRR

Post by 523HRR »

goingup wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:29 pm Do you ever think about simplifying or consolidating?
Yes, but it's a slow process for us as the legacy employer stuff is rather inflexible. Also, taxable accounts are titled in our individual trusts, respectively, so this tends to double up. Regardless, we monitor our asset allocation in totality despite the high number of accounts.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

We have a WINNER!!
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

The Wizard wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:52 pm
We have a WINNER!!
That was my first thought too.