Picking College and College Scholarships

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ThatGuy

Re: Picking College and College Scholarships

Post by ThatGuy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:14 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:27 pm
I have a lot of experience with Y students. I have less experience with H students and grads, but many grads seem to mention that they attended H within minutes of meeting, something that doesn’t seem to happen as quickly (if at all) with Y grads (hmmmmm).
Do their parents?
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

ks289

Post by ks289 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:08 am

jodydavis wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:04 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:15 pm
I never said that there was one “type” at Yale. Coming back to my Brown and Columbia example, how many kids do you know that would fit well into both?
You did say that H and Y "attract different types," but it's possible I read too much into that. My point is that, because there is such a wide range of different types within each school (from artists, to hockey players, to physics majors, to whatever), it's hard for me to see any strong patterns, much less be able to identify right away where someone went to school. It's quite possible that these patterns exist and that others are more discerning than I am, but I guess I'm just saying that my own personal experience differs from yours.

Responding to your question, I guess I don't find it hard to believe that there might be many students who would "fit well" at both schools, despite the fact that they are quite different along many dimensions. Maybe this is because I don't believe that any school is ever a perfect fit, and that the schools are large and diverse enough that many (though admittedly not all) students manage to find some degree of fit (and lack thereof).

That said, I have no problem believing that a particular student might fit better at one over the other. I also have no problem believing that a student might choose one school over the other on that basis, and that this self-selection might explain whatever differences there are between the students at one school versus the other. However, I have a harder time believing that the admissions offices can make these fit determinations with a tremendous amount of accuracy, once you get beyond the major, broad metrics.
I agree with you. Sure there are differences, but there is a lot more diversity within these schools than between them in my opinion. Most students would find a similar niche in a large number of schools across the country and/or be able to adapt to the culture they encounter. I find it plausible also that this adaptation to the school and peers could exaggerate differences between students at different schools initially, but become far less impactful over time.

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Admissions officers at top school are definitely not trying to pick only one “type” these days, they are interested in building - purposefully constructing - classes of diverse talents and backgrounds that can serve as a synergistic whole and learning resource for one another.

This may account for the apparent “randomness” of
some admissions decisions. In other words, say 3 kids with
nearly identical backgrounds and achievements apply, yet only 1 gets in. Why? The need for that phenotype in that particular class has been met. In contrast another top school may take all 3
or none depending on the unfilled needs of their incoming class.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:49 pm

malabargold wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:35 pm
Admissions officers at top school are definitely not trying to pick only one “type” these days, they are interested in building - purposefully constructing - classes of diverse talents and backgrounds that can serve as a synergistic whole and learning resource for one another.

This may account for the apparent “randomness” of
some admissions decisions. In other words, say 3 kids with
nearly identical backgrounds and achievements apply, yet only 1 gets in. Why? The need for that phenotype in that particular class has been met. In contrast another top school may take all 3
or none depending on the unfilled needs of their incoming class.
I agree with you, but do you really mean phenotype?

VaR

Post by VaR » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:19 am

malabargold wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:35 pm
Joel's Father: I just got off the telephone with Bill Rutherford. Apparently, you two had quite a meeting. "Princeton can use a guy like Joel."
Joel: What?
Joel's Father: "Princeton can use a guy like Joel." His exact words

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:08 am

As a father, I don't want to hear those words given the background of that quote :-)

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:33 am

VaR wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 am
This is just my personal opinion, but making a school more challenging by finishing sooner isn't making it more challenging in a good way. I think it's important for the actual coursework to be challenging in difficulty, not in quantity. And I think it's important to be able to have classmates who have the same depth of understanding of the course material.

I benefitted greatly by finding peers who were just as smart as I was and just as interested in the material, and in having professors who were sufficiently cutting edge to get me involved in interesting projects by my senior year. I was also weeded out of three departments where I was clearly not good enough/interested enough to make a top-level career in the field before I found the one where I had a gift for it.

But really I think the greatest gift was to tamp down my ego and to learn to work with other high caliber individuals. It's tragic for me to see colleagues at work do so much damage to themselves and others once they get it into their heads that they are the smartest guys in the room when they aren't.

This is just a perspective, not the secret to it all.
I agree with your thinking - to a point. If money is not considered in the equation (say full ride or close enough given our finances), then 100% agree. With money (cost) in the mix, the specific situation changes priorities (lost wages by spending more time in school, another year of tuition).

I think a lot of the challenge you note could also be had by a good, challenging job.

VaR

Post by VaR » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:46 pm

timmy wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:33 am
VaR wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 am
This is just my personal opinion, but making a school more challenging by finishing sooner isn't making it more challenging in a good way. I think it's important for the actual coursework to be challenging in difficulty, not in quantity. And I think it's important to be able to have classmates who have the same depth of understanding of the course material.

I benefitted greatly by finding peers who were just as smart as I was and just as interested in the material, and in having professors who were sufficiently cutting edge to get me involved in interesting projects by my senior year. I was also weeded out of three departments where I was clearly not good enough/interested enough to make a top-level career in the field before I found the one where I had a gift for it.

But really I think the greatest gift was to tamp down my ego and to learn to work with other high caliber individuals. It's tragic for me to see colleagues at work do so much damage to themselves and others once they get it into their heads that they are the smartest guys in the room when they aren't.

This is just a perspective, not the secret to it all.
I agree with your thinking - to a point. If money is not considered in the equation (say full ride or close enough given our finances), then 100% agree. With money (cost) in the mix, the specific situation changes priorities (lost wages by spending more time in school, another year of tuition).

I think a lot of the challenge you note could also be had by a good, challenging job.
BTW, my advice is inapplicable to 99.9% of kids heading to college. For most kids, I agree with you that you should take value into consideration.

My advice is really only if you kid is truly academically gifted.

I can't find a good online citation but here's an article that talks about the issue wrt primary education:
https://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2014/04/ ... fted-kids/

But like I said, most people don't have this problem.

MnD

Post by MnD » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:28 am

Update on the State U route for STEM undergrad and grad school for high performing student.
Over 2 years in at grad program. Passed her qualifying exams so officially now a PhD candidate.
Has published papers and presented at several national and two international conferences. She loves grad school.
All grad school, living expenses and health insurance paid.
Her investment net worth now roughly equal to the total I paid for her undergrad degree ($70K all-in after partial merit aid) due to LCOL area, high savings rate on her stipend and a bull market. Zero debt. Last financial assistance I provided was $200 and a few week use of my truck in August 2015 to help with moving out-of-state to grad school.

Not sure if Timmy's kid is still considering any State U paths but it's worked out well so far for our family. :beer
MnD wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:15 pm
My daughter had a perfect ACT, 31 IB/AP credits, top 5 GPA from an enormous high school where 1/3 the class was IB and tons of extracurricular accomplishments with top leadership roles. And she didn't get into MIT or Stanford. They are looking for students with journal articles, successful non-profits they set up to dig water wells in African villages, inventions with patents etc. Some like my daughter might get in if they fill just the right niche but it's a lottery ticket.

She did get in to 9 schools including several $60k a year places (now $65-70k) like Harvey Mudd and U of Chicago but we really didn't care for the vibes. On the tours it seemed like the families were either super-wealthy and often legacy (whole family going skiing in Switzerland next week types) or families of modest means where the kids were going to attend for free due to very good need aid at these schools. Seemed like very few Boglehead - millionaire next door type families that due to income and savings were going to be self-pay and it was going to hurt. I also didn't appreciate what were obviously professional sales reps they assigned to each family to bewitch the students and guilt the parents.

Since we had financial rules like Timmy and because most merit aid apps didn't pan out, it came down to a few very solid State U's with great STEM programs. In the end she opted to go in-state Colorado School of Mines for Physics with a merit aid award worth about 25% of total cost of attendance. She lived away from home all 4 years but with the scholarship my total cost for her degree was around $70K. She went for 4 years because she loved it - could have graduated in 3. She worked over 2200 hours at paid internships, earned around $35k and saved about half so graduated with a net worth of about $17K.

Accepted directly into the computer science PhD program at UIUC and they pay her to go to school plus 24K a year stipend plus paid internships with startups and what not. Due to a very low cost housing situation and no car she's again saving about 1/2 her income so 1.5 years in, her net worth is pushing $40K.

Contrast this story with families that are paying now close to $300K per kid at elite private U for one undergraduate degree, not to mention what they might sink into grad school.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Update on the State U route for STEM undergrad and grad school for high performing student.
Over 2 years in at grad program. Passed her qualifying exams so officially now a PhD candidate.
Has published papers and presented at several national and two international conferences. She loves grad school.
Her investment net worth now roughly equal to the total I paid for her undergrad degree ($70K all-in after partial merit aid) due to LCOL area, high savings rate on her stipend and a bull market. Zero debt. Last financial assistance I provided was $200 and a few week use of my truck in August 2015 to help with moving out-of-state to grad school.

Not sure if Timmy's kid is still considering any State U paths but it's worked out well so far for our family. :beer

Congrats!

Your response also reminded me how old this post is!

Yes, my son hit "send" on his U of I app today. Their eng. program is top notch, top 5 on most lists. Our only bellyache with the school, and these are hurdles, not barriers. 1) It's very big. 2) The campus is uninspiring. (These are subjective things, so not worth starting a back and forth on.)

On a similar matter, he'll be hitting "send" on the common app tonight. The same with his MIT app.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Best of luck to your son, Timmy.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:31 pm
Best of luck to your son, Timmy.
Thank you!

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Interesting. We are just getting the mailings related to the national merit process. He's in the semifinalist mode/ process now. Other than going through the process (momentum???), we haven't paid much attention to the national merit process. Anyway, we are setting aside the ones that seem interesting. He may apply to a few of these after he's applied to his planned schools. We'll see.

Why? Play the wildcard ... The literature alludes to the potential of a full ride (or nearly). And if the school(s) offer something interesting and we hadn't thought about it. And it won't interrupt "the plan". Why the heck not?

The common application makes the process easier. So it's really just writing a check. At that, a lot of these places are offering to drop the entry fee.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:53 pm

MnD wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:28 am
Congratulations.

Depending on the CS field,
In some fields of CS, a terminal MS degree is enough. A PhD adds only N years of experience to a MS's pay scale and may limit the job search.
YMMV
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Depending on the CS field,
In some fields of CS, a terminal MS degree is enough. A PhD adds only N years of experience to a MS's pay scale and may limit the job search.

I would say in general that STEM PhDs don't offer much benefit above MSs (in business). I'm sure there are all kinds of counter examples. However, one should be real clear about what they hope to achieve with a STEM PhD.

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Shocking ... We heard back from the first school already. I think my son applied 2 weeks ago. It does "rolling admissions". Good on them!

It's a safety school so it's like (being accepted) when your Mom says you are handsome. She's your Mom ... She has to say that. But it still feels nice.

They offered what looks like a "half ride" merit :? . And he was invited to apply to another (remaining ... the other :half") merit program. Given how quickly they turned around the acceptance, I assume this is a way to check for true interest and draw you in (if you are so inclined).

After this weekend, he'll have applied to 10 schools so far. He'll probably apply to another 10 schools. 2 to 3 of which are of primary interest. He lost interest in Princeton (don't know why) and is adding U of Chicago (Physics). The remaining are opportunistic: Programs that seem to grant full rides to Nat. Merit Scholars and have solid STEM programs and are on the common app.

I complained about FASFA. I shouldn't have. It was easy.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:25 pm

what? Applying to 20 schools? His teachers must love him to write that many recommendation letters!

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:47 pm

deleted
Last edited by timmy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:47 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:25 pm
what? Applying to 20 schools? His teachers must love him to write that many recommendation letters!
Yes, so far so good. There were only a couple of schools that required "special letters" so it wasn't so bad. That ... and ... we volunteer a lot at the school ... so not hesitant to "call in a favor".

And yes, 20 is a lot. Between being very methodical, the online tools and a number of schools waving their submission fees, it's really been not a big deal.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:14 pm

timmy wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:47 pm
wrongfunds wrote:
Yes, so far so good. There were only a couple of schools that required "special letters" so it wasn't so bad. That ... and ... we volunteer a lot at the school ... so not hesitant to "call in a favor".

And yes, 20 is a lot. Between being very methodical, the online tools and a number of schools waving their submission fees, it's really been not a big deal.
I think when you are going for these reach schools, it makes sense to apply to a larger number. It should be no big deal for the school/teacher to send off another letter.

student

Post by student » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:21 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Many schools use common app so it does not require 20 different letters.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:32 pm

student wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:21 pm
wrongfunds wrote:
Many schools use common app so it does not require 20 different letters.
MIT and possibly UChicago (?) have special LoR forms, but it’s rare. The schools’ supplemental essays should be a self-policing mechanism to applications, not to mention application fees.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:46 pm

The Student-Candidate selection by schools make applying to many schools only slightly more advantageous for top students.

In our time, a College Confidential parent said that their high performing and top student was not accepted at the applied top tier and second tier schools. As many have noted, "It's a crap shoot" or "lottery" and it is conceivable and probable that you can crap out. It was a shock to everyone, student had to bye that one year.
YMMV
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Agree. At some point, we applied Bayes Theorem or some such math tool to the application process. So we have some "expectation of what to expect". I don't recall the outcome but call it 50%. Meaning, there is a 50% chance of not getting into any of the selective schools (applied to). That's humbling.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:53 pm

For the letters, that is correct. Only a few of the schools require special letters. MIT, etc.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:28 pm

2 interviews complete, Harvey Mudd and MIT. Both had pretty standard questions. Both interviewers were friendly and very conversational.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Mudd is a unique experience: top notch math, physical sciences & engineering in a tiny school. But since they are LAC-like, Mudd is also strong in lit/hume courses.

msj16

Post by msj16 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:03 pm

Perhaps this was said already but Mudd supposedly has one of the highest return on investments of any college in the U.S.

timmy

Post by timmy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:35 pm

We hear good things about Harvey Mudd. It's almost universal. It was one of the few places that we didn't visit but I hear it is beautiful too.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 pm

timmy wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:28 pm
2 interviews complete, Harvey Mudd and MIT. Both had pretty standard questions. Both interviewers were friendly and very conversational.
Are you saying that Mudd and MIT interview a parent?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

timmy

Post by timmy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 pm

Are you saying that Mudd and MIT interview a parent?

The boy ...

If they interviewed me, I'd kill it :confused

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Here is the final list of applied to schools:

Notre Dame, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Northwestern, U of Chicago, Vanderbilt, Rose-Hulman, Harvey Mudd, Caltech, Stanford, Purdue, U of IL, Miami (in Ohio), Valpo

Valpo has responded already (accepted). MIT and Notre Dame should be mid December. The rest will roll in the Jan-March time frame. So there is still a long way to go.

10 of these schools have very low acceptance rates: 1 in 10 to 1 in 20. The other 5 should offer a good chance at getting in.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:22 pm

Did I tell you that DS selection of schools had to be 600+ miles and mostly no direct flights :annoyed

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:19 pm

itstoomuch wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:22 pm
Did I tell you that DS selection of schools had to be 600+ miles and mostly no direct flights :annoyed
:shock: :shock: :shock:

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Next week will be a big reply week for MIT and a few others: Accept, reject, or defer (we'll let you know later). The funny thing is MIT comes out Thursday night which will be during his Christmas concert. He's decided not to go online until Friday after school (to find out). Why? The concert ... He has a short solo so doesn't want the distraction. Star Wars opens Thursday night ... He doesn't want to ruin the movie with bad news. And he has two big tests on Friday. Again, he doesn't want the distraction.

Mom and Dad will patiently wait until Friday night. :annoyed

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Howdy

Caltech EA usually comes out several days before MIT. I assume he EA’d to both as it is permissible.

Fingers Xd.

Best of luck to your son.

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:51 pm

WildBill wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:25 pm
Howdy

Caltech EA usually comes out several days before MIT. I assume he EA’d to both as it is permissible.

Fingers Xd.

Best of luck to your son.

W B
Thanks W B!

Yes, the "low chance of getting into" schools that he EA'd to are ... MIT, Caltech, and Notre Dame. I'm probably missing one. The current household bet is ... Accepted to Notre Dame, Deferred to MIT, and Rejected from Caltech. We have no reason for our bet ... pure speculation :confused

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:00 pm

timmy wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:26 pm
He's decided not to go online until Friday after school (to find out). Why? The concert ... He has a short solo so doesn't want the distraction. Star Wars opens Thursday night ... He doesn't want to ruin the movie with bad news. And he has two big tests on Friday. Again, he doesn't want the distraction.
I really admire his discipline. I'd like to say I'd be madly checking my phone during the concert, but the truth is that I'd blow off the concert to sit at home madly pressing the "refresh" button over and over and over again.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Ha! I'd delay looking just to make my helicopter parents anxious.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:28 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:07 pm
Ha! I'd delay looking just to make my helicopter parents anxious.
If he waits until Saturday, I'll give him your contact info. He'd appreciate your sensibilities. :sharebeer

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:29 pm

Rootin' for Caltech. He'll need a whole new wardrobe. Plus the are so many more different routes to get home. :oops: :annoyed

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:31 pm

FedGuy wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:00 pm
timmy wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:26 pm
He's decided not to go online until Friday after school (to find out). Why? The concert ... He has a short solo so doesn't want the distraction. Star Wars opens Thursday night ... He doesn't want to ruin the movie with bad news. And he has two big tests on Friday. Again, he doesn't want the distraction.
I really admire his discipline. I'd like to say I'd be madly checking my phone during the concert, but the truth is that I'd blow off the concert to sit at home madly pressing the "refresh" button over and over and over again.
Funny about MIT, they give you the exact time that'll be posted.

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:34 pm

itstoomuch wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:29 pm
Rootin' for Caltech. He'll need a whole new wardrobe. Plus the are so many more different routes to get home. :oops: :annoyed
Winters in the midwest vs. California. No contest there.

timmy

Post by timmy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Early action results, so far ...

Accepted:
Notre Dame
Valpo
Rose-Hulman

Deferred (not yes or no ... but we will let you know if March):
Caltech

Remaining this week:
MIT (tomorrow)
U of IL (not sure ... but before XMAS)

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Congrats to your son- he has already 3 great schools in the bag. It sounds as if he would be happy at any of these, so no matter what happens with his lottery schools, he is set.

Fredfig

Post by Fredfig » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:49 pm

Shoot me a message if you want to talk about Notre Dame. I was a 2017 grad who managed to make it through with no debt, would be happy to talk about the experience.

Note: My signature line is from a professor there, would definitely recommend you check him out. A good embodiment of the school's mission.
"Don't invest for yourself; invest so that you can do good for you family, your community, and your world." - Carl Ackermann

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:49 pm

The big week is complete. Here is what we know!

Locked down:

Notre Dame, accepted
Valpo, accepted
U of IL (engineering), accepted
Rose-Hulman, accepted

Maybe, back to waiting:

MIT, deferred, expect final decision by March
Caltech, deferred, final final decision by March

Still waiting:

Carnegie Mellon, (expect response by) March
Cornell, March
U of Chicago, March
Vanderbilt, Jan/ Feb
Harvey Mudd, Feb/ Mar
Stanford, Feb/ March
Purdue, Jan/ Feb
Miami (in Ohio), March

We feel good about his choices.The schools (accepted) so far are top notch and he'd be fortunate to attend any of them.

In terms of MIT and Caltech, we are considering these as "rejected". Why? The odds of getting into these schools (in general) is 5 to 8% - or close enough. The regular decision process is even more intense. Additionally, the application pool is disproportionately male while the class slots are 50/50 male/ female. Teasing the data, I estimate his chances at 2% to 3%. As Lloyd Christmas said ... So you're telling me there's a chance?

For the schools that we've heard from, we expect the financial (cost) info in Jan/ Feb. And as noted before, the hunt for scholarship funds are on.

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:00 pm

timmy wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Carnegie Mellon, (expect response by) March
Cornell, March
U of Chicago, March
Vanderbilt, Jan/ Feb
Harvey Mudd, Feb/ Mar
Stanford, Feb/ March
Purdue, Jan/ Feb
Miami (in Ohio), March
I am feeling like I can see the future ... Here are my predictions:

Carnegie Mellon, (expect response by) March ACCEPTS
Cornell, March ACCEPTS
U of Chicago, March ACCEPTS
Vanderbilt, Jan/ Feb ACCEPTS OFFERING LOWEST COST
Harvey Mudd, Feb/ Mar REJECTS
Stanford, Feb/ March ACCEPTS
Purdue, Jan/ Feb ACCEPTS
Miami (in Ohio), March ACCEPTS

Stanford will be offer a full ride. They'll also throw in a nice Eichler (tastefully furnished) and Tesla (fully charged) in the driveway ... for when Mom and Dad come to visit.

Bitcoin will hit $30k in 2018 then sink like a rock. It'll be around ten years from now at some reasonable valuation (compared to the USD, etc.).

The stock market will top in 2018. Then suffer a very standard bear market. REPS will blame on Pr. Obama. DEMS will blame Pr. Trump. Taylor L will remind everyone that markets go up and markets go down, stick with your AA, and get on with life ... :sharebeer
Last edited by timmy on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Misenplace wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:40 pm
Congrats to your son- he has already 3 great schools in the bag. It sounds as if he would be happy at any of these, so no matter what happens with his lottery schools, he is set.
Thank you!

Yes, he's a lucky kid and knows it.

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:10 pm

Fredfig wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:49 pm
Shoot me a message if you want to talk about Notre Dame. I was a 2017 grad who managed to make it through with no debt, would be happy to talk about the experience.

Note: My signature line is from a professor there, would definitely recommend you check him out. A good embodiment of the school's mission.
Go Fighting Irish! And thank you!

I'll see if I can figure out the professor from you signature line. We've heard very good things about the Prof. - at least the digging that we've done on the engineering side of the house. When we toured, we got a private tour from one of the Elec. Eng. Prof. That was unbelievably generous. I think he spent 2 hours with us.

I will message you. And thank you for the offer to chat.