Picking College and College Scholarships

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
HIinvestor

Re: Picking College and College Scholarships

Post by HIinvestor » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:06 am

OP congrats and best wishes to your son. Sounds like he has some nice options. One thing our S thought about when he was a HS SR and thought he wanted engineering but wasn’t SURE, since he really had not much to base it on other than enjoying and doing well in math, physics, problem solving and computers was to go to a U that had enough flexibility that he could switch AND pursue other interests.

It worked out well for him that he went to a large private U with a nice merit package and found he enjoyed and is great at engineering. He was also happy he could take other courses and pursue other interests: rock climbing, geology, camping, sailing. If he had hated engineering, as one of his friends did, he could have switched to most other fields with no problems. His friend got a Bacgelor’s degree in psychology and went to law school when he decided he didn’t enjoy engineering. The U was very flexible.

Congrats to A-Commoner’s friend’s D! Hope finances work to make STANFORD work out for her.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:49 am

Or, you could skip the MA and get a PhD in ~5 years. Here's an example of Duke's time to degree. Humanitites takes ~7.
Or, you could get a combined MS/BS in 4 years and then decide to defer getting a PhD so that you can start your dream job. Time to degree: somewhere between 10 years and infinity 😁

Horses for courses. Pun intended.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:40 am

A-Commoner wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:44 am
My friend’s daughter got word today of being accepted at Stanford...after having been rejected by USC, Pomona, Grinnell. Her only other acceptance was UIUC which she was resigned to attending. Then Stanford came calling. What a day.
Yes, the process is interesting, if only for it's real or perceived randomness. I mentioned one of my son's female friends ... got into MIT, YALE, and Princeton ... rejected from Stanford. I would have thought she was a lock.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:43 am

welldone wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:15 pm
timmy wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:05 pm
FINAL LIST

Accepted:

**Notre Dame
**U of IL (engineering)
**Rose-Hulman
**Purdue (engineering)
**Vanderbilt

Waitlisted:

**U of Chicago
**Cornell
**Stanford
Is your son thinking about working his waitlist options or making a decision based solely on his current acceptances? He has great options...can't wait to hear his final decision.
We are not sure. Here is our current thinking. Pass on UChicago and Cornell. Neither offer more/ less than many of the accepted schools. He'll probably accept the waitlist at Stanford.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:50 am

Now that the list is final. We will approach each school with a specific ask (discount on their current offer),respectfully presenting our rational. We actually started the process last week. Two off the schools have replied back that they are taking our request into consideration.

Our approach at this stage ...

You won't get unless you ask.

It doesn't hurt to ask. It can only help.

All except one of the schools, each ask seems reasonable (to us at least) but still material.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:22 am

timmy wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:40 am
A-Commoner wrote:
My friend’s daughter got word today of being accepted at Stanford...after having been rejected by USC, Pomona, Grinnell. Her only other acceptance was UIUC which she was resigned to attending. Then Stanford came calling. What a day.
Yes, the process is interesting, if only for it's real or perceived randomness. I mentioned one of my son's female friends ... got into MIT, YALE, and Princeton ... rejected from Stanford. I would have thought she was a lock.
At those schools, short of being a child of a President or similar, there ARE no locks.

pilot_error

Post by pilot_error » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:30 am

timmy wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:50 am
All except one of the schools, each ask seems reasonable (to us at least) but still material.
What type of argument/ask do you make? Is it like, "You may not have heard, but I'm a national merit finalist now so I assume you will increase your scholarship offer?"

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:44 am

Good question ...

Not quite ...

I'll post more generally about the approach (negotiate) at the end of this. And I can always PM the specifics (assuming it works) if someone found it useful.

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:14 am

timmy wrote:
A-Commoner wrote:
Having been through this wringer of a process just last year through my daughter’s college applications plight, my take is that ACT scores and GPAs matter less to these highly selective schools once you meet a certain threshold. If you are a non athlete or have no other compelling attribute, you need a minimum of 30 for ACT and 3.8 GPA to be in the game. Then you need to spice up your application with things that are unique to you and hard to replicate by your competitors. What that “it” thing is, is hard to discern. Anecdotally, a girl from my daughter’s former HS (one year younger than my daughter but they were on the same scholastic bowl team) had scores and grades that just met those thresholds. Top 10% of the class but probably won’t be valedictorian or salutatorian. But she got accepted by Cornell, Dartmouth, Northwestern these past few weeks. Smart kid, but what makes her stand out is she is a Sudanese Muslim refugee who fled to the US with family. Parents found jobs as faculty at our local community college. She writes very well and is very poised and polite. The “it” factor.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:28 am

timmy wrote:
A-Commoner wrote:
My first boyfriend was rejected by University of Toledo med school, but accepted by Stanford (and attended). He did also get into Duke and Yale.

ny_knicks

Post by ny_knicks » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:16 pm

Congrats to your son! Great schools that will all open many doors.
pilot_error wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:30 am
What type of argument/ask do you make? Is it like, "You may not have heard, but I'm a national merit finalist now so I assume you will increase your scholarship offer?"
Negotiated graduate school scholarships. All schools were in a similar range of rankings.

Just played each offer off the other schools. Explained where else I was accepted, how much they were offering in scholarships and why I wanted to attend their school if they could come up with some more money. The first offer usually isn't their best offer and schools know kids now are going to negotiate.

I was able to increase my scholarship money by $20k/yr and attend the top school on my list. If you don't ask you're doing yourself a disservice.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:40 pm

travellight wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:28 am
timmy wrote:
A-Commoner wrote:
My first boyfriend was rejected by University of Toledo med school, but accepted by Stanford (and attended). He did also get into Duke and Yale.
So weird. For someone who got into Princeton, Duke and Yale med schools I wouldn't even consider U of T a safety.

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:44 pm

Princeton doesn’t have a med school.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:24 pm

GCD wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:40 pm
travellight wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:28 am
timmy wrote:
A-Commoner wrote:
So weird. For someone who got into Princeton, Duke and Yale med schools I wouldn't even consider U of T a safety.
Yea, I think he was being a bit cautious... not that it worked out for him! haha, his safety rejected him. They probably knew they were the safety.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:27 pm

A-Commoner wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:44 pm
Princeton doesn’t have a med school.
My bad, I typed Princeton and meant Stanford per the quoted post.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:39 pm

Yea, I think he was being a bit cautious... not that it worked out for him! haha, his safety rejected him. They probably knew they were the safety.
Otherwise known, perhaps unfairly, as Tufts Syndrome.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:12 am

ny_knicks wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:16 pm
Congrats to your son! Great schools that will all open many doors.
pilot_error wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:30 am
Negotiated graduate school scholarships. All schools were in a similar range of rankings.

Just played each offer off the other schools. Explained where else I was accepted, how much they were offering in scholarships and why I wanted to attend their school if they could come up with some more money. The first offer usually isn't their best offer and schools know kids now are going to negotiate.

I was able to increase my scholarship money by $20k/yr and attend the top school on my list. If you don't ask you're doing yourself a disservice.
Thank you!

Question: Did you ask for specific cost reductions or just ask them to do better?

ny_knicks

Post by ny_knicks » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:19 am

timmy wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:12 am

Thank you!

Question: Did you ask for specific cost reductions or just ask them to do better?
I started the conversations off with just do better. Some had me fill out forms which required me to verify where else I was accepted, what their offers were and how much additional aid I was looking for. Others just came back with a higher offer.

I wouldn't commit to a specific number until you have to!

They aren't going to withdraw the acceptance so worse case scenario they just say no.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Final decision = Notre Dame :sharebeer

A couple of folks have requested a "lessons learned" from our process. I'll post something in May. As noted before, if you'd like something more granular, feel free to "PM me".

Thank you for all the feedback.

welldone

Post by welldone » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Congratulations, Notre Dame is a fantastic school with an amazing network. :sharebeer

shawndoggy

Post by shawndoggy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Totally interested in your "rest of the story."

student

Post by student » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Thanks for the update.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:57 pm

Congratulations!

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun May 13, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks!

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Mon May 14, 2018 8:20 am

OP, thanks a bunch for your posts and answering questions, both online and in PM, from confused parents of high school seniors. I personally benefited from your posts and received lots of help from you. Thank you!