Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
zadie
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:06 am

Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by zadie » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:54 am

Anyone have thoughts on this for someone just looking for a decent secondary non-Amex, cash back card - I already use the Amex Blue card (6% on groceries) as my primary CC.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:09 am

I have the Fidelity, I enjoy these features:
- Cash back comes monthly to my Fidelity cash account, automatically
- There are no 'points', conversion ratios, payment requirements etc

It is the perfect backup card and that's how we use it as well (Costco Visa for gas & restaurants.) I use Fidelity all the time and the status is displayed right next to all my other accounts.

cals400ex
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by cals400ex » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:45 am

I have a 2% fidelity amex and the city double cash. The fidelity card was more difficult to get the money to my bank account. The site was confusing, too. Also, if you directly deposited it into your bank account, you lost some of the cash back rewards. They recently changed the card a bit, but I quit using it bc the city double cash was easier to get the rewards to my bank account. I didn't have any investments with fidelity, so I was interested in the rewards being cash. Regardless, I've not had problems with either.

User avatar
Go Blue 99
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by Go Blue 99 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:53 am

We recently obtained the Citi Double Cash Card as our new primary card. A couple of minor complaints:

- the card itself is thin and flimsy. it feels cheap
- since the numbers are on the back and not raised, it won't work with iOS apps that allow you to scan your card instead of having to punch in the numbers and expiration date manually

Overall though, I'm happy with the 2% reward. I also like that Citi offers temporary virtual numbers, which let you shop online without giving the merchant your actual credit card number.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:13 am

To clarify, I have the Fidelity VISA, have never even been tempted to get the Amex.

With the Visa it's trivial to set up the 2% cash back to flow into my Fidelity cash account. "It just works", it is by far the easiest rewards card I have ever owned. I recommend it to anyone with a Fidelity account.

Leesbro63
Posts: 5436
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by Leesbro63 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:41 am

Sort of a "Honda vs Toyota" or "Ford vs Chevy" discussion. Essentially products that do exactly the same thing.

bawr
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by bawr » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:13 pm

The Fidelity Visa card has a 1% foreign transaction fee, versus 3% for the Citi Double Cash.

The Citi card has Chip + online PIN as its third priority CVM. If the Fidelity card is like other US Bank issued card, it would not have any kind of Chip + PIN capability.

gclancer
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:34 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by gclancer » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Do you already have accounts at Fidelity? That would be the main driver for me. Citi DC require $25 cash back prior to redemption (vice auto cash back). It's most commonly (I think) issued as a MasterCard so it can't be used at Costco. If you're a Fido customer I would use their card, otherwise I would go with Citi DC since it integrates with outside banks better for cash back redemption purposes.

DSInvestor
Posts: 10876
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by DSInvestor » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:25 pm

If you have foreign spending, I'd suggest adding a card that does not have foreign transaction fee like Capital One Quicksilver which has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee and 1.5% cash back.

I use Citi DoubleCash Mastercard as my main card in US. I use Capital One Quicksilver Visa for foreign spending and US costco stores.
Wiki

brajalle
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by brajalle » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:57 am

There's several good points up there, so I won't repeat them.

I've had a Fidelity card for years before the Double Cash came out (zero complaints), but one minor advantage not mentioned is the Citi card's benefits. The main one worth mentioning as a consumer is probably the +2 year extended warranty (up to 7 years total). Unlike most other warranties, it's not a double, or +1 year max, or 3 years total max (which is what I think the Fidelity card is), it's just a flat +2years. Additionally, Citi's Price Rewind is an amazing thing - I use it on average several times a year, and it has saved me decent amounts (plus the claim process is actually pretty easy & reasonable). Heck, I even use it to get black friday prices without fighting the crowds.

So if you're using the 2% card for purchasing consumer items, I'd use the double cash. If you're mainly using it for bills & such, I don't think it matters.

HIinvestor
Posts: 1614
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by HIinvestor » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:12 am

I have the CapitolOne Spark Visa. It costs $59/year and gives 2% cash back. It has worked well for me. It also gives some protections and no foreign transaction fees and great customer service.

student
Posts: 2504
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by student » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:01 am

brajalle wrote:There's several good points up there, so I won't repeat them.

I've had a Fidelity card for years before the Double Cash came out (zero complaints), but one minor advantage not mentioned is the Citi card's benefits. The main one worth mentioning as a consumer is probably the +2 year extended warranty (up to 7 years total). Unlike most other warranties, it's not a double, or +1 year max, or 3 years total max (which is what I think the Fidelity card is), it's just a flat +2years. Additionally, Citi's Price Rewind is an amazing thing - I use it on average several times a year, and it has saved me decent amounts (plus the claim process is actually pretty easy & reasonable). Heck, I even use it to get black friday prices without fighting the crowds.

So if you're using the 2% card for purchasing consumer items, I'd use the double cash. If you're mainly using it for bills & such, I don't think it matters.
I too have both. I am aware of the Price Rewind benefit although I have never used it. I did not know about the +2 year extended warranty. Thank you for the info.

mikep
Posts: 3696
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by mikep » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:56 am

I have both. I have the bills go to Fidelity 2%, since their amex has been trigger happy for fraud and a pain. We spend with the Citi DC and Costco visa (where the earnings are higher), due to the price rewind capability. When it gets hacked every ~6 months, I don't have to change my bills to a new card number.
That being said I still have not received my fidelity VISA. Has everyone received theirs?

student
Posts: 2504
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by student » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:01 am

mikep wrote:I have both. I have the bills go to Fidelity 2%, since their amex has been trigger happy for fraud and a pain. We spend with the Citi DC and Costco visa (where the earnings are higher), due to the price rewind capability. When it gets hacked every ~6 months, I don't have to change my bills to a new card number.
That being said I still have not received my fidelity VISA. Has everyone received theirs?
I received mine two days ago.

radiowave
Posts: 1773
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by radiowave » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:09 am

DSInvestor wrote:If you have foreign spending, I'd suggest adding a card that does not have foreign transaction fee like Capital One Quicksilver which has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee and 1.5% cash back.

I use Citi DoubleCash Mastercard as my main card in US. I use Capital One Quicksilver Visa for foreign spending and US costco stores.
Just used my new Capital One Quicksilver for 3 week trip to Italy and Switzerland and had zero problems, I was able to add the PIN (just tell phone support you need it for ATM withdrawal) but never had to use the PIN for purchases. No foreign transaction fees and just eyeballing the currency conversion from Euros/Swiss Francs to dollars rate seemed very fair especially compared to the airport currency exchanges.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

J295
Posts: 1553
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by J295 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:20 am

Just received the new Fido card yesterday.
We use Fido as the convenience of just having the 2% dumped into one of our accounts at Fido.

brajalle
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by brajalle » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:31 pm

mikep wrote: That being said I still have not received my fidelity VISA. Has everyone received theirs?
I received mine and my wife's card several weeks ago. Had to have both cards name changed though, haven't received the replacements.

Longtermgrowth
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:59 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by Longtermgrowth » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Go Blue 99 wrote:We recently obtained the Citi Double Cash Card as our new primary card. A couple of minor complaints:

- the card itself is thin and flimsy. it feels cheap
- since the numbers are on the back and not raised, it won't work with iOS apps that allow you to scan your card instead of having to punch in the numbers and expiration date manually

Overall though, I'm happy with the 2% reward. I also like that Citi offers temporary virtual numbers, which let you shop online without giving the merchant your actual credit card number.
I was surprised when I slowly peeled the activation sticker off the front of the card to find a rough area under the whole thing. At first I thought they intentionally did that to make it easier to pull out of wallets, but then I noticed parts of it flaking off! Never seen that happen on a card before. Almost as if the sticker was applied before the protective coating dried...

So I agree with the card being flimsy and feeling cheap. Other than that, I think it's a decent choice.

richardglm
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by richardglm » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:27 am

radiowave wrote:Just used my new Capital One Quicksilver for 3 week trip to Italy and Switzerland and had zero problems, I was able to add the PIN (just tell phone support you need it for ATM withdrawal) but never had to use the PIN for purchases. No foreign transaction fees and just eyeballing the currency conversion from Euros/Swiss Francs to dollars rate seemed very fair especially compared to the airport currency exchanges.
FYI that PIN will definitely not work for purchases. It is, like you say, a PIN for ATM withdrawal. It is a completely separate mechanism from "chip and PIN" and will not help at all in Europe.

I agree Capital One is otherwise an excellent credit card bank for use overseas, which makes it even more disappointing that they don't support chip and PIN at all.

madbrain
Posts: 5027
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by madbrain » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:59 am

The Fidelity VISA has 1% foreign transaction fee - Citi DoubleCash has 3% foreign transaction fee. If you travel abroad, or order things from abroad, then the Fidelity VISA is clearly the better choice. Of course, there are cards with no foreign transaction fee as well, but they often have annual fees or lower reward rates.

rongos
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 8:36 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by rongos » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:09 pm

brajalle wrote:the Citi card's benefits [... ] is +2 year extended warranty (up to 7 years total). Unlike most other warranties, it's not a double, or +1 year max, or 3 years total max (which is what I think the Fidelity card is), it's just a flat +2years
I pulled out the paperwork for the new Fidelity Signature Visa. Its warranty protection will add only one year, limit 4 years total. For warranties less than one year, will double it.

I didn't know Citi had such a nice warranty benefit. I may get that card just for large consumer purchases.

I currently use American Express since their claim process is easy and hassle free, whereas I've heard that Visa can be difficult and more selective about what claims they approve.

madbrain
Posts: 5027
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by madbrain » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:10 pm

rongos wrote:
brajalle wrote:the Citi card's benefits [... ] is +2 year extended warranty (up to 7 years total). Unlike most other warranties, it's not a double, or +1 year max, or 3 years total max (which is what I think the Fidelity card is), it's just a flat +2years
I pulled out the paperwork for the new Fidelity Signature Visa. Its warranty protection will add only one year, limit 4 years total. For warranties less than one year, will double it.

I didn't know Citi had such a nice warranty benefit. I may get that card just for large consumer purchases.

I currently use American Express since their claim process is easy and hassle free, whereas I've heard that Visa can be difficult and more selective about what claims they approve.
Didn't know about the Citi +2 years warranty either. That is indeed a nice benefit to have. I have used with Amex before, and it was easy. No longer have an Amex now that Costco switched to VISA.

Price rewind also looks interesting - something else to ponder about Citi ... Of course, using either of these benefits will probably involves making phone calls to Citi.

nalor511
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by nalor511 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Citi 24mo warranty used to be 12mo, they changed in April http://www.mouseprint.org/2016/04/18/ci ... -benefits/

brajalle
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by brajalle » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:37 pm

madbrain wrote:
rongos wrote:
brajalle wrote:the Citi card's benefits [... ] is +2 year extended warranty (up to 7 years total). Unlike most other warranties, it's not a double, or +1 year max, or 3 years total max (which is what I think the Fidelity card is), it's just a flat +2years
I pulled out the paperwork for the new Fidelity Signature Visa. Its warranty protection will add only one year, limit 4 years total. For warranties less than one year, will double it.

I didn't know Citi had such a nice warranty benefit. I may get that card just for large consumer purchases.

I currently use American Express since their claim process is easy and hassle free, whereas I've heard that Visa can be difficult and more selective about what claims they approve.
Didn't know about the Citi +2 years warranty either. That is indeed a nice benefit to have. I have used with Amex before, and it was easy. No longer have an Amex now that Costco switched to VISA.

Price rewind also looks interesting - something else to ponder about Citi ... Of course, using either of these benefits will probably involves making phone calls to Citi.
Price rewind and the extended warranty are the same for all of their cards. Their cards do scale up on the other benefits though - the Prestige and top AA card are pretty neat in that area.

I've not used their extended warranty claim yet, but I have used Price Rewind multiple times. You don't have to call. There's an automated tracking option - you put the item in and it tracks price changes for you I believe. If you're using it like I typically do (my favorite is to avoid black friday lines but still get the prices), then you can mail or fax a claim as well There's a form, and then you send in supporting evidence. Citi is surprisingly lax on this, whereas some other cards have a similar benefit, Citi doesn't require it to be a print ad in a physical store - websites work. I've purchased an item from a local service (HVAC) person, submitted that receipt, then submitted some online pricing & a camel camel camel price tracking = easy cash back. For a black friday laptop deal at wal-mart, I purchased it the week before, submitted the receipt, a screenshot of the online ad (which didn't list model #), and then submitted 3 websites discussing the black friday deal WITH the model details. Etc - ie, fairly painless, and easy to get some solid benefit from IMO.

radiowave
Posts: 1773
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by radiowave » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:13 pm

richardglm wrote:
radiowave wrote:Just used my new Capital One Quicksilver for 3 week trip to Italy and Switzerland and had zero problems, I was able to add the PIN (just tell phone support you need it for ATM withdrawal) but never had to use the PIN for purchases. No foreign transaction fees and just eyeballing the currency conversion from Euros/Swiss Francs to dollars rate seemed very fair especially compared to the airport currency exchanges.
FYI that PIN will definitely not work for purchases. It is, like you say, a PIN for ATM withdrawal. It is a completely separate mechanism from "chip and PIN" and will not help at all in Europe.

I agree Capital One is otherwise an excellent credit card bank for use overseas, which makes it even more disappointing that they don't support chip and PIN at all.
It was (discreetly) watching the locals in several restaurants on my recent trip to Europe. They bring the card reader to your table and just insert it and it prints out. I never saw anyone putting a PIN into the machine. Of course I could have been looking at all Americans.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

radiowave
Posts: 1773
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by radiowave » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:15 pm

madbrain wrote:The Fidelity VISA has 1% foreign transaction fee - Citi DoubleCash has 3% foreign transaction fee. If you travel abroad, or order things from abroad, then the Fidelity VISA is clearly the better choice. Of course, there are cards with no foreign transaction fee as well, but they often have annual fees or lower reward rates.

I looked at my Fidelity Debit card transactions on my recent Europe trip and did not see any additional fees for ATM cash withdrawal.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

User avatar
mrc
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by mrc » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:40 pm

Like the Fido 2% right into my account better than the 1% now, 1% off the payment. If you redeem the Citi card by applying rewards to your balance, you don't get the full 2%.
People often hate what they fear

richardglm
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by richardglm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:18 pm

radiowave wrote:
richardglm wrote:
radiowave wrote:Just used my new Capital One Quicksilver for 3 week trip to Italy and Switzerland and had zero problems, I was able to add the PIN (just tell phone support you need it for ATM withdrawal) but never had to use the PIN for purchases. No foreign transaction fees and just eyeballing the currency conversion from Euros/Swiss Francs to dollars rate seemed very fair especially compared to the airport currency exchanges.
FYI that PIN will definitely not work for purchases. It is, like you say, a PIN for ATM withdrawal. It is a completely separate mechanism from "chip and PIN" and will not help at all in Europe.

I agree Capital One is otherwise an excellent credit card bank for use overseas, which makes it even more disappointing that they don't support chip and PIN at all.
It was (discreetly) watching the locals in several restaurants on my recent trip to Europe. They bring the card reader to your table and just insert it and it prints out. I never saw anyone putting a PIN into the machine. Of course I could have been looking at all Americans.
I didn't mean to imply that the quicksilver wouldn't work in Europe (in fact, it is one of the best cards to use there) but I mean it won't help at train stations, gas stations, and other unattended kiosks in Europe. Those are the usual places where most American cards fail because they lack Chip-and-PIN ability, and capital one cards sadly lack this ability as well, even if you call them and add a PIN for cash advance/ATM withdrawal.

Almost all American cards, and many European cards as well, will print signature lines on receipts at attended terminals and ask you to sign at restaurants.

icefr
Posts: 595
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:50 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by icefr » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:37 pm

radiowave wrote:
madbrain wrote:The Fidelity VISA has 1% foreign transaction fee - Citi DoubleCash has 3% foreign transaction fee. If you travel abroad, or order things from abroad, then the Fidelity VISA is clearly the better choice. Of course, there are cards with no foreign transaction fee as well, but they often have annual fees or lower reward rates.

I looked at my Fidelity Debit card transactions on my recent Europe trip and did not see any additional fees for ATM cash withdrawal.
It's hidden in the exchange rate, according to Fidelity.

vtMaps
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:05 pm
Location: central Vermont

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by vtMaps » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:48 pm

I received my Fidelity Visa 1.5% cash rewards card today, and activated it. Then I called them and asked for an upgrade to the 2% cash rewards card.

The customer service rep assured me that I was getting the same great rewards I was getting previously, and I pointed out that I wasn't getting any rewards because I stopped using my Fidelity card after I got the Citi double cash card a year ago.

At that point he agreed to upgrade me to the 2% card. I will get another account number, but the account info and history will stay the same.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

tbradnc
Posts: 1512
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:30 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by tbradnc » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:14 pm

mrc wrote:Like the Fido 2% right into my account better than the 1% now, 1% off the payment. If you redeem the Citi card by applying rewards to your balance, you don't get the full 2%.
1.99% vs. 2.00%.

That's an extra $100 for every $1,000,000 you put on the card. Definitely a drawback... :)

madbrain
Posts: 5027
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by madbrain » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:22 pm

radiowave wrote:
madbrain wrote:The Fidelity VISA has 1% foreign transaction fee - Citi DoubleCash has 3% foreign transaction fee. If you travel abroad, or order things from abroad, then the Fidelity VISA is clearly the better choice. Of course, there are cards with no foreign transaction fee as well, but they often have annual fees or lower reward rates.

I looked at my Fidelity Debit card transactions on my recent Europe trip and did not see any additional fees for ATM cash withdrawal.
Me either, but the subject of this thread is the Fidelity 2% VISA credit card managed by Elan, not the Fidelity Cash debit card managed by BNY Mellon, which also is a VISA. The Fidelity credit card definitely has a foreign transaction fee. The Fidelity debit card does not, but the debit card does not offer rewards.

The old Fidelity VISA credit card managed by FIA, which gave 1.5% cash back, also had a foreign transaction fee, which was broken down on my bill.
Last edited by madbrain on Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

madbrain
Posts: 5027
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by madbrain » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:25 pm

radiowave wrote: It was (discreetly) watching the locals in several restaurants on my recent trip to Europe. They bring the card reader to your table and just insert it and it prints out. I never saw anyone putting a PIN into the machine. Of course I could have been looking at all Americans.
You must have been looking at all Americans. The wireless credit card terminals in France at restaurant that take chip cards have been prompting Carte bleue / VISA chip card users to enter their PIN to authorize the transaction for about 25 years.

madbrain
Posts: 5027
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by madbrain » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:29 pm

richardglm wrote: I didn't mean to imply that the quicksilver wouldn't work in Europe (in fact, it is one of the best cards to use there) but I mean it won't help at train stations, gas stations, and other unattended kiosks in Europe. Those are the usual places where most American cards fail because they lack Chip-and-PIN ability, and capital one cards sadly lack this ability as well, even if you call them and add a PIN for cash advance/ATM withdrawal.

Almost all American cards, and many European cards as well, will print signature lines on receipts at attended terminals and ask you to sign at restaurants.
I was surprised that my Fidelity/FIA VISA with a chip card worked in my last trip to Europe about 18 months ago at the RATP/SNCF train ticket kiosks at Gare de Lyon in Paris. It processed the chip correctly, and did not ask me to sign. Only the chip cards work in those kiosks - non-chip magstripe cards do not. On all my previous trips, I had to go in line to the ticket counter to buy tickets since my previous US-issued cards lacked chips.

So, chip-and-pin is not necessarily at all unattended ticket machines. Some seem to have been programmed allow chip-and-signature cards, even without a signature, as in the above case.

richardglm
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by richardglm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:46 pm

madbrain wrote: You must have been looking at all Americans. The wireless credit card terminals in France at restaurant that take chip cards have been prompting Carte bleue / VISA chip card users to enter their PIN to authorize the transaction for about 25 years.
It is the card, not the terminal, that chooses whether the transaction is verified by signature or PIN. The only time the terminal affects the choice is if the terminal does not support signature at all (e.g. most unattended kiosks) in which case PIN must be used, unless of course the card does not support PIN, or the transaction amount is below some preset threshold.

And there do exist many European issued credit cards that are signature preferring. While some European countries are almost entirely chip and PIN, some (particularly those that still have high usage of cash payment) are chip and signature. Italy happens to be one of those.
madbrain wrote: I was surprised that my Fidelity/FIA VISA with a chip card worked in my last trip to Europe about 18 months ago at the RATP/SNCF train ticket kiosks at Gare de Lyon in Paris. It processed the chip correctly, and did not ask me to sign. Only the chip cards work in those kiosks - non-chip magstripe cards do not. On all my previous trips, I had to go in line to the ticket counter to buy tickets since my previous US-issued cards lacked chips.

So, chip-and-pin is not necessarily at all unattended ticket machines. Some seem to have been programmed allow chip-and-signature cards, even without a signature, as in the above case.
It is possible that the terminal simply accepts the transaction without signature or PIN if the total transaction amount is small (especially below $50 or $20) similar to how we often don't need to sign for small transactions in the US. Or it could be that Gare de Lyon is sufficiently used by foreigners that they have negotiated special terms with their payment processor; usually, accepting credit card payments without either signature or PIN results in higher processing fees for the merchant or even the merchant accepting liability for fraudulent transactions.

mikep
Posts: 3696
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by mikep » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:08 am

We just started using Ebates since fatwallet cash back transitioned to them. They give in store cash back when using visa or amex, but not mastercard. That may tip it to Fidelity visa for us instead of the citi double cash.

radiowave
Posts: 1773
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by radiowave » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:46 am

richardglm wrote:
radiowave wrote:
richardglm wrote:
radiowave wrote:Just used my new Capital One Quicksilver for 3 week trip to Italy and Switzerland and had zero problems, I was able to add the PIN (just tell phone support you need it for ATM withdrawal) but never had to use the PIN for purchases. No foreign transaction fees and just eyeballing the currency conversion from Euros/Swiss Francs to dollars rate seemed very fair especially compared to the airport currency exchanges.
FYI that PIN will definitely not work for purchases. It is, like you say, a PIN for ATM withdrawal. It is a completely separate mechanism from "chip and PIN" and will not help at all in Europe.

I agree Capital One is otherwise an excellent credit card bank for use overseas, which makes it even more disappointing that they don't support chip and PIN at all.
It was (discreetly) watching the locals in several restaurants on my recent trip to Europe. They bring the card reader to your table and just insert it and it prints out. I never saw anyone putting a PIN into the machine. Of course I could have been looking at all Americans.
I didn't mean to imply that the quicksilver wouldn't work in Europe (in fact, it is one of the best cards to use there) but I mean it won't help at train stations, gas stations, and other unattended kiosks in Europe. Those are the usual places where most American cards fail because they lack Chip-and-PIN ability, and capital one cards sadly lack this ability as well, even if you call them and add a PIN for cash advance/ATM withdrawal.

Almost all American cards, and many European cards as well, will print signature lines on receipts at attended terminals and ask you to sign at restaurants.
I used the Capital One Quicksilver card in June at two train station kiosks in Italy (Rome Termini and Perugia). Both worked fine and did not ask for a PIN.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

User avatar
NoNonsenseLandlord
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:46 am
Location: Eagan, MN
Contact:

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by NoNonsenseLandlord » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:55 am

I vote Fidelity, 100%. That is what I have. Easy peasy. Automatic redemption's, deposited in my Fidelity account.

j0nnyg1984
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:55 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:27 pm

HIinvestor wrote:I have the CapitolOne Spark Visa. It costs $59/year and gives 2% cash back. It has worked well for me. It also gives some protections and no foreign transaction fees and great customer service.
It's also a businesscard, which has a much different set of rules and protections than your typical personal credit card. Make sure you know the differences (I don't, because I don't use business cards).

EnerJi
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by EnerJi » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:05 pm

The Bank Of America Travel Rewards card has 0% foreign transaction fee and provides 2.625% on all purchases, assuming you maintain a "Platinum Honors" relationship with BofA. This requires a minimum of $100k across savings/checking and investments (such as a Vanguard ETF).

The only caveat is that the cash back doesn't appear automatically. The credits have to be applied manually to "travel" expenses on your last 12 months of statements. I also say "travel" expenses because in my experience these are broadly defined, and I have never had an issue using every available credit, even in periods of time where I'm barely traveling.

The inconvenience is minor and totally worth it for the additional .625% in my opinion.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7533
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:13 pm

mikep wrote:I have both. I have the bills go to Fidelity 2%, since their amex has been trigger happy for fraud and a pain. We spend with the Citi DC and Costco visa (where the earnings are higher), due to the price rewind capability. When it gets hacked every ~6 months, I don't have to change my bills to a new card number.
That being said I still have not received my fidelity VISA. Has everyone received theirs?
I have both also, and I've received my Fidelity Visa. I had a short-term issue low loading transactions to Quicken; it seems to work now.

I have a rule of thumb about which card to use: the one closest to my thumb in the wallet. Cards are functionally identical.

lhl12
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by lhl12 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:50 pm

EnerJi wrote:The Bank Of America Travel Rewards card has 0% foreign transaction fee and provides 2.625% on all purchases, assuming you maintain a "Platinum Honors" relationship with BofA. This requires a minimum of $100k across savings/checking and investments (such as a Vanguard ETF).

The only caveat is that the cash back doesn't appear automatically. The credits have to be applied manually to "travel" expenses on your last 12 months of statements. I also say "travel" expenses because in my experience these are broadly defined, and I have never had an issue using every available credit, even in periods of time where I'm barely traveling.

The inconvenience is minor and totally worth it for the additional .625% in my opinion.
+1. I used the Fidelity Visa for many years (very happily) but switched to the B of A Travel Rewards card a year or so ago. The higher rebate and 0% foreign transaction fee are both meaningful improvements to me.

TheGipper
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:52 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by TheGipper » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:53 pm

lhl12 wrote:
EnerJi wrote:The Bank Of America Travel Rewards card has 0% foreign transaction fee and provides 2.625% on all purchases, assuming you maintain a "Platinum Honors" relationship with BofA. This requires a minimum of $100k across savings/checking and investments (such as a Vanguard ETF).

The only caveat is that the cash back doesn't appear automatically. The credits have to be applied manually to "travel" expenses on your last 12 months of statements. I also say "travel" expenses because in my experience these are broadly defined, and I have never had an issue using every available credit, even in periods of time where I'm barely traveling.

The inconvenience is minor and totally worth it for the additional .625% in my opinion.
+1. I used the Fidelity Visa for many years (very happily) but switched to the B of A Travel Rewards card a year or so ago. The higher rebate and 0% foreign transaction fee are both meaningful improvements to me.
+2. BoA travel rewards is simply the best all-purpose cash back card if your willing to park 100k in a combo of Vanguard ETFs with Merrill Edge and/or BoA checking/savings.

Also don't forget the excellent BoA Cash Rewards card that gives you 5.25% (gas) and 3.5% on groceries and warehouse clubs up to $2500 per quarter spend if you are platinum plus status.

sandburg
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by sandburg » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:40 am

It appears that the auto redemption feature for this card doesn't start until 5000 points have been accumulated. Everything else sounds pretty good though.

ArmchairArchitect
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:43 am

Would recommend the Citi Double Cash card as Citi allows you to generate virtual one-time use credit card numbers (as others have pointed out)- very useful in helping prevent fraud.

dh
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by dh » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:50 am

tbradnc wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:14 pm
mrc wrote:Like the Fido 2% right into my account better than the 1% now, 1% off the payment. If you redeem the Citi card by applying rewards to your balance, you don't get the full 2%.
1.99% vs. 2.00%.

That's an extra $100 for every $1,000,000 you put on the card. Definitely a drawback... :)
I just applied for the Citi double cash card. 1.99% versus 2.00% - can someone explain this to me (explain it like you are talking to a Golden Retriever please)? What is the best strategy? To have cash back sent to my checking account? I wanted to just apply rewards to my statement balance each time rewards were available (if that means I lose on 0.01% I am ok with that!). Just trying to understand. Thank you!

tigerdoc93
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:50 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by tigerdoc93 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:11 am

Fidelity has 2% cash back. So 1% foreign fee actually 1% cash back. The glass is half full. I vote for Fidelity!

User avatar
simplesimon
Posts: 3135
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by simplesimon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 am

dh wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:50 am
tbradnc wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:14 pm
mrc wrote:Like the Fido 2% right into my account better than the 1% now, 1% off the payment. If you redeem the Citi card by applying rewards to your balance, you don't get the full 2%.
1.99% vs. 2.00%.

That's an extra $100 for every $1,000,000 you put on the card. Definitely a drawback... :)
I just applied for the Citi double cash card. 1.99% versus 2.00% - can someone explain this to me (explain it like you are talking to a Golden Retriever please)? What is the best strategy? To have cash back sent to my checking account? I wanted to just apply rewards to my statement balance each time rewards were available (if that means I lose on 0.01% I am ok with that!). Just trying to understand. Thank you!
If you're taking the cash back to your checking account as opposed to applying it towards your credit card balance, you will get the full 2%. Just do that.

takeshi
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by takeshi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am

dh wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:50 am
I just applied for the Citi double cash card. 1.99% versus 2.00% - can someone explain this to me (explain it like you are talking to a Golden Retriever please)?
This won't help a golden but it's pretty simple, really. The Double Cash is not a 2% card though people lump it in with 2% cards. It is really a 1% + 1% card. This is the distinction: You earn 1% on spend and you earn 1% when you pay down your balance.

If you redeem the rewards you earn as a statement balance then the amount of the statement credit cannot be paid and, therefore cannot earn the 1% on payment.

Oversimplified example with math: You spend $1,000. 1% reward on spend for that amount is $10. You apply the $10 reward as a statement credit so that $1,000 balance is now $990. You pay off that $990. 1% reward on that payment is $9.90. So you earned $19.90 in rewards on $1,000 spend and paying that spend. $19.90 is 1.99% of that original $1,000 spend.
Last edited by takeshi on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

Jags4186
Posts: 2358
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Fidelity 2% CC or Citi double cash card?

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 am

Citi's Price Rewind feature is a big feature of the card and one I use extensively. I've just gotten into the habit of entering in purchases as soon as they happen into Citi's system and then getting surprise $3 or $4 credits here and there. I think this is a really really great feature that if more people utilized they could easily bump up their "cash back" another 2% or 3%.

Here's a real world practical example. We've had just a slew of weddings and babies being born to friends and family members. That means dozens of baby showers and bridal showers. Most of the time you end up get 3 or 4 items off a registry that cost between $10-$30. Well I just ask my wife for the receipts, I put them in, and lo and behold we almost always end up getting $3 or $4 back on every single item she's purchased. So far this year we've received just over $200 in "price rewinds". All from sub $50 purchases. It's really a great service if you are disciplined.


Also to everyone above, just redeem your Citi rewards to your checking account and you get the full 2% cashback.

Post Reply