Fidelity spousal accounts under same login

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ShadowCat

Fidelity spousal accounts under same login

Post by ShadowCat »

I'm not just there yet, but I was wondering: if and when I got married to my girlfriend, does Fidelity allow for retirement accounts (such as IRAs) to all be linked/viewed under one joint account login? Basically, is it possible to use one username/password and then see all accounts including each spouse's retirement accounts?

Re: Fidelity spousal accounts under same login

Post by 123 »

Brokerages generally have provisions to give others access to your accounts at varying levels. With some you can do it all on-line, other require paper forms (sometimes with signatures notarized). I don't think marriage grants any special access, you still have to proceed with their procedures.

https://www.fidelity.com/customer-servi ... =74637:7:0
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

ShadowCat wrote:I'm not just there yet, but I was wondering: if and when I got married to my girlfriend, does Fidelity allow for retirement accounts (such as IRAs) to all be linked/viewed under one joint account login? Basically, is it possible to use one username/password and then see all accounts including each spouse's retirement accounts?
Yes. I can look at my wife's Roth and traditional IRA accounts from my login and vice versa. I had to log in using her username/password and "grant" myself permission to see her accounts. After I did that, they showed up under my login. Granting permission to execute trades takes, I believe, a paper form from Fidelity. But it's definitely doable.

My taxable account at Fidelity list my wife as joint owner with right of survivorship, so it shows up under her login with full permissions.
formerlybroke

Post by formerlybroke »

123 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:29 pm Brokerages generally have provisions to give others access to your accounts at varying levels. With some you can do it all on-line, other require paper forms (sometimes with signatures notarized). I don't think marriage grants any special access, you still have to proceed with their procedures.

https://www.fidelity.com/customer-servi ... =74637:7:0

UPDATING LINK: https://www.fidelity.com/customer-servi ... s-overview
motiv8ed

Post by motiv8ed »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:48 pm
ShadowCat wrote:I'm not just there yet, but I was wondering: if and when I got married to my girlfriend, does Fidelity allow for retirement accounts (such as IRAs) to all be linked/viewed under one joint account login? Basically, is it possible to use one username/password and then see all accounts including each spouse's retirement accounts?
Yes. I can look at my wife's Roth and traditional IRA accounts from my login and vice versa. I had to log in using her username/password and "grant" myself permission to see her accounts. After I did that, they showed up under my login. Granting permission to execute trades takes, I believe, a paper form from Fidelity. But it's definitely doable.
When I went through this five months ago with my wife's new accounts at Fidelity, we were able to grant "Full Authority" permissions to me under my account to trade her accounts and there was no paperwork involved. We did it all online with a few clicks. The "power of attorney" permission level (which additionally lets you change the address of those accounts), however, would have required paperwork.

motiv8ed
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

motiv8ed wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:05 pm When I went through this five months ago with my wife's new accounts at Fidelity, we were able to grant "Full Authority" permissions to me under my account to trade her accounts and there was no paperwork involved. We did it all online with a few clicks. The "power of attorney" permission level (which additionally lets you change the address of those accounts), however, would have required paperwork.
Now that I think about it, I believe you're right. I remember taking paperwork to the local Fidelity office to have my desired change done, and I now recall that (as you said) that was to provide her with power of attorney over the account.