Does Costco gas count as gas for PenFed Visa?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
mediahound

Does Costco gas count as gas for PenFed Visa?

Post by mediahound »

Now that Costco takes Visa does Costco gas count as gas for the PenFed Visa 5% cash back?
HueyLD

Re: Does Costco gas count as gas for PenFed Visa?

Post by HueyLD »

You will earn 5 Points per $1 for Net New Gasoline Purchases you make with the card, when paid for at the pump (based on Visa Merchant Category Codes 5542).
Maybe you can do a small gas purchase at Costco and report back?
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

I don't have that card, but the category for my Costco gas purchases is listed as: "Vehicle Services AUTOMATED GAS DISPENSER"

For a Mastercard, recent purchase at Kwik Trip is listed as: "AUTOMATED FUEL DISPENSERS"

So it seems to me that Costco's gas is in the same category as any other gas station.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
gvmelbrty

Post by gvmelbrty »

I just went over my last PenFed statement, where I made a test purchase at Costco gas with my PenFed Visa. I can confirm that Costco does qualify as a "pay at pump" fuel purchase and I received the 5% reward. I also called PenFed customer service and they too confirmed that the fuel purchase at Costco did qualify for the reward.
Topic Author
mediahound

Post by mediahound »

gvmelbrty wrote:I just went over my last PenFed statement, where I made a test purchase at Costco gas with my PenFed Visa. I can confirm that Costco does qualify as a "pay at pump" fuel purchase and I received the 5% reward. I also called PenFed customer service and they too confirmed that the fuel purchase at Costco did qualify for the reward.

Great, thanks for the info!
tj

Post by tj »

Anyone try for the Bank Of America Cash Rewards (which is 5.25% cashback?)
sheroo

Post by sheroo »

Yes, tried with BOA cash rewards card. Costco gas does show as gas purchase and gets the 3% back.