Synchrony bank upgrade

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
student5

Synchrony bank upgrade

Post by student5 »

Has anyone noticed the Synchrony bank website upgrade? It took place over the weekend and this week, was completely down for a couple of days, back up today. Telephone help was still available. Apart from these significant difficulties, I can't help wondering what would happen in a big internet meltdown if all my assets were online. I might find it difficult to pull money out for some time if telephone support were overwhelmed. This gives the advantage to local banks where I can walk in to make transactions.The cost is of course a much lower interest rate than the 1% that I can obtain online.

Re: Synchrony bank upgrade

Post by 123 »

Many folks have more then one bank account and have set-ups for money transfer from each of them to the other(s) to somewhat mitigate the risks of any one banks systems website being unavailable. Paper checks are useful as well. For the most part I think most of the pre-internet money transfer systems still work the same way so just take a step back in time to figure out how to deal with it. For the most part the public website interface is separate from the actual account balance ledgers the banks keep. The website interface can fail but that doesn't effect the real account balance ledger.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I once went to my local brick-and-mortar bank and their systems were down and I was told to come back. So I don't believe they have an advantage the way you state. Perhaps if your internet line is down.
All banks run on computers - their systems can go down whether you are using them over the internet or in person.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

It's probably wise to make some provision to maintain a degree of liquidity despite inevitable web disruptions, as 123 wrote and DaftInvestor implied. Computer networks are not 100% available and reliable. It's simply a fact about the real, physical world we live in.

Archaically, do not fold, spindle, or mutilate. It will mess up data processing.

Beyond that, I'd take the message of this xkcd cartoon to heart:

PJW
donfairplay

Post by donfairplay »

I still can't transfer funds.

It's been 4 days. I'm sorry but that's unacceptable. I'm disappointed because it was nice to get an online bank in a different industry (retail credit cards and CareCredit), but I don't trust banks that shut down for a week.

The word upgrade used to mean getting something better. :P
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I just logged on to them and they asked for my SS # to verify
and then seutup a new password
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

didn't notice the website...but as a shareholder i noticed the approx 14% loss a couple days ago. and close to another 2% today.

win some...lose some.
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

It is up and running today, I just logged on. These things often take much longer than companies expect. Companies rarely budget enough to plan for all contingencies during a major upgrade. Do not ask how I know these things.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

donfairplay wrote:I still can't transfer funds.

It's been 4 days. I'm sorry but that's unacceptable. ...
So change banks. There are thousands of them, plus credit unions, available.
student5 wrote:...
I can't help wondering what would happen in a big internet meltdown
OP's question was about an internet outage generally, a single point of failure, not about any one particular banking corporation. The concern you expressed is both different and less systematic.

PJW
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Having the same problem
can not access my account unless I change my password.
When I go to change my password it says having difficulties try another time or call support.
Third time trying to setup the new password.
Great way to do an "upgrade".
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

Rob5TCP wrote:Having the same problem
When I go to change my password it says having difficulties try another time or call support.
This happened to me Monday evening. If I'm remembering correctly, I got an error message suggesting cause was my non-preferred browser, just before site began noting Chrome and Firefox as "preferred" browsers. I had used Safari, my regular browser. After following their elaborate rules for new password, I'm not up for trying again, or installing another browser just so I can bank with them.

For those wondering if this can happen with other online banks, Synchrony's system was always kind of clunky. To send a secured email, you had to go through a separate system -- messaging was not possible within online banking application. I attribute clunkiness to their insurance roots; it started as MetLife Bank.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

tidelandp wrote:
This happened to me Monday evening. If I'm remembering correctly, I got an error message suggesting cause was my non-preferred browser, just before site began noting Chrome and Firefox as "preferred" browsers. I had used Safari, my regular browser. After following their elaborate rules for new password, I'm not up for trying again, or installing another browser just so I can bank with them.

For those wondering if this can happen with other online banks, Synchrony's system was always kind of clunky. To send a secured email, you had to go through a separate system -- messaging was not possible within online banking application. I attribute clunkiness to their insurance roots; it started as MetLife Bank.

I used Firefox and they suggested either Chrome or Internet Explorer (called the 888 "help" line).
Same problem with Chrome. I will give them several more days and if it's not resolved I will pull the money out from a link I have to another account.
GMan82

Post by GMan82 »

I just logged in and also put in a transfer request to my external checking account. So far no problems.
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

The info I received before the upgrade mentioned the need to reset the password post-upgrade. I was a little surprised they wanted my SSN as part of that process, but after verifying the connection was secure and part of syncrhonybank.com I proceeded. The password complexity rules are needlessly complicated. The rules dictating the placement of numbers I found particularly annoying, as I seemingly kept violating them. After being dumped to a 'try a differnet browser' page, I realized that I was still violating one of the complexity rules. The next time through I had no problems.

On Thursday I was given a read-only view of my accounts and directed to contact via phone for transactions. I waited until today and could transfer as needed. It was a little annoying, but I am sympathetic to complicated software replacements.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

JDDS wrote:The info I received before the upgrade mentioned the need to reset the password post-upgrade. I was a little surprised they wanted my SSN as part of that process, but after verifying the connection was secure and part of syncrhonybank.com I proceeded. The password complexity rules are needlessly complicated. The rules dictating the placement of numbers I found particularly annoying, as I seemingly kept violating them. After being dumped to a 'try a differnet browser' page, I realized that I was still violating one of the complexity rules. The next time through I had no problems.

On Thursday I was given a read-only view of my accounts and directed to contact via phone for transactions. I waited until today and could transfer as needed. It was a little annoying, but I am sympathetic to complicated software replacements.
Saw your post this morning. The problem had nothing to do with the browsers -- it was violating one of their rules. So, rather than giving me a message that I violated a password rule; the system said they were having problems and call the 888 number. Took multiple tries, but at least it's now correct (thanks to JDDS not the useless help from Synchrony).
bayview

Post by bayview »

Rob5TCP wrote:
tidelandp wrote:

I used Firefox and they suggested either Chrome or Internet Explorer (called the 888 "help" line).
Same problem with Chrome. I will give them several more days and if it's not resolved I will pull the money out from a link I have to another account.
This happened to me three months ago when trying to make an online payment for my Amazon store card from Synchrony. So not the bank side, but the identical error messages. After hours of fighting it, and not being able to see my payment verification, I had to pay via phone. The next month (and subsequent months) everything was back to normal.

Oddly, I have no problem with our Lowe's and Belk cards (both Synchrony.) I don't have warm fuzzies for this bank. There's a feeling of bobby pins and bubble gum as important IT maintenance items.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri
SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan »

I logged I to my Synchrony account today. As others have posted, I had to change my password. Fine so far.

To my great shock, my accounts were gone. Customer service says there was a glitch in the upgrade that caused some accounts to disappear from the website. They will reappear eventually but meanwhile I have no web access to my funds. They claimed the problem was due to my having changed my address since opening my account. Not so. I have lived at the same address for decades. Then they said maybe it was because I stopped my mail while vacationing. Again, not so.

I find both the problem and the way they handled customer service unacceptable. I am moving my accounts elsewhere. The little bit of extra interest is not worth it.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

For an online bank, they have a lot of problems running their rather basic website.

I've needed to call them to purchase CDs before, because their website wouldn't transfer funds. The option was there and I used it but the transfer never occurred. I've stopped buying CDs there.

Their website has also locked me out a few times and I've needed to call. I do know my password. It's some kind of problem authenticating computers that have not logged in to the account before. It should send me a text or whatever, but locks my account instead.

Mint integration was broken last time I checked.

It's not terrible but I don't want to ever have to call an online bank for something that is clearly their problem. I will probably clear out my accounts after the CDs mature, just to cut some hassle out of my life. Is GSbank a smooth experience?
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

SeekingAPlan wrote:I logged I to my Synchrony account today. As others have posted, I had to change my password. Fine so far.

To my great shock, my accounts were gone. Customer service says there was a glitch in the upgrade that caused some accounts to disappear from the website. They will reappear eventually but meanwhile I have no web access to my funds. They claimed the problem was due to my having changed my address since opening my account. Not so. I have lived at the same address for decades. Then they said maybe it was because I stopped my mail while vacationing. Again, not so.

I find both the problem and the way they handled customer service unacceptable. I am moving my accounts elsewhere. The little bit of extra interest is not worth it.
Pretty scary. Neither online system nor customer service operation are ready for prime time. Sounds like this bank was built from a hobby kit bought at Radio Shack. No offense to Radio Shack.
Lancelot

Post by Lancelot »

I'm a new customer at Synchrony- and I'm not impressed with their website. The trials we endure for a few more basis points of yield...
No Where for Very Long...
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I just received a notice that Synchrony is relaxing some of their passwords requirements (as well as website "enhancements")
One which is; it now allows two numbers in a row (which is an absurd restriction to begin with)

Important update from Synchrony Bank.

At Synchrony Bank, it's our goal to put you at the center of everything we do. That's why we're pleased to let you know that we've heard your feedback and made some changes to our online banking password requirements.

For your convenience, passwords are now able to contain two numbers in a row. If you've reset your password on or after June 13th you may keep your password as is or change it based on this recent update.

Thank you again for continuing to let Synchrony Bank meet your savings needs. We hope that you're enjoying some of the enhancements we made to deliver a superior banking experience.

It's a start.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I finally got around to logging back in after the upgrade. Funny - they almost seemed to take my credentials but then told me I needed to update my password as part of their new requirements. I had to give them some identity information (DOB, SS) and receive a text and then it let me enter a "new" password. I used the password I used previously on their site and it worked.
My Theory: As part of the upgrade they LOST everyone's old password (their pw file got corrupted or the old-hash-file couldn't be read by new system or whatever) thus the need for them to force everyone to start over by setting up a new password.

Anyway - it only took a few minutes and everything looks about the same as prior to the upgrade.
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

DaftInvestor wrote:Anyway - it only took a few minutes and everything looks about the same as prior to the upgrade.
Congratulations on your success. I agree that the "upgrade" is not very apparent from look and functionality.

I got back in today but it wasn't an entirely smooth process. I kept getting error message on password reset, despite following all the rules. I called and rep suggested I eliminate special characters, which are permissible under rules as stated. That did the trick. I'm relieved. Still unimpressed, though, w/bank's system and communications.
SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan »

Synchrony is a nightmare.

My savings account disappeared after the upgrade. They claimed it is because I moved. I have lived at the same address for half a century. I told customer service to close my account and transfer the money to my brick and mortar bank. They closed my Synchrony account but instead of transferring my money to the brick and mortar bank they did a withdrawal. Right now my balance at Synchrony is 0 and my balance at the brick and mortar is a NEGATIVE six figures. The checks I have written on my regular, existing checking account at the brick and mortar are not going through because of Synchrony's mistake so now both my banks have an issue and are unusable.

A total disaster. Stay far, far away from Synchrony Bank . Their IT is just not up to the task.
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

SeekingAPlan wrote:Synchrony is a nightmare.

My savings account disappeared after the upgrade. They claimed it is because I moved. I have lived at the same address for half a century. I told customer service to close my account and transfer the money to my brick and mortar bank. They closed my Synchrony account but instead of transferring my money to the brick and mortar bank they did a withdrawal. Right now my balance at Synchrony is 0 and my balance at the brick and mortar is a NEGATIVE six figures. The checks I have written on my regular, existing checking account at the brick and mortar are not going through because of Synchrony's mistake so now both my banks have an issue and are unusable.

A total disaster. Stay far, far away from Synchrony Bank . Their IT is just not up to the task.
Very sorry to hear this. Sounds like a manual error. Whom have you tasked to resolve this -- Synchrony or brick and mortar? Assuming this was an incorrect ACH, I believe it's faster if you have opposing bank initiate correction. This had happened to me before. The opposing institution, where withdrawal occurred, had it reversed within a day, after having me complete paperwork attesting to error. Your now-closed Synchrony account may present a complication though.
SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan »

tidelandp wrote:
SeekingAPlan wrote:Synchrony is a nightmare.

Very sorry to hear this. Sounds like a manual error. Whom have you tasked to resolve this -- Synchrony or brick and mortar? Assuming this was an incorrect ACH, I believe it's faster if you have opposing bank initiate correction. This had happened to me before. The opposing institution, where withdrawal occurred, had it reversed within a day, after having me complete paperwork attesting to error. Your now-closed Synchrony account may present a complication though.
Brick and mortar has placed a stop payment on the attempted withdrawal from Synchrony and waived the stop payment fee. This is a permanent stop on all attempts by Synchrony to debit funds from me forever. They say that is all they can do because Synchrony sent a debit rather than a credit so Synchrony must fix it. Synchrony started out claiming they didn't make a mistake. Now, after 2-1/2 hours on the phone with them they have decided they need to "do some research". I do not have access to my funds and don't know when I will. I have had no access for about 2 weeks now.
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

SeekingAPlan wrote:Brick and mortar has placed a stop payment on the attempted withdrawal from Synchrony and waived the stop payment fee. This is a permanent stop on all attempts by Synchrony to debit funds from me forever. They say that is all they can do because Synchrony sent a debit rather than a credit so Synchrony must fix it. Synchrony started out claiming they didn't make a mistake. Now, after 2-1/2 hours on the phone with them they have decided they need to "do some research". I do not have access to my funds and don't know when I will. I have had no access for about 2 weeks now.
In my case, the first bank made a duplicate withdrawal from the second, a credit union, to fund a CD I had opened. The credit union’s sole task was to remove the duplicate withdrawal. The bank made duplicate withdrawals from a number of accounts that day. Each of us got $25 later as a token of appreciation for our “patience and understanding,” along with offer to reimburse us for fees resulting from its error.

Your state’s Attorney General probably has a consumer protection division. You could try contacting them while Synchrony has you on hold.
ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs »

Another Synchrony victim here.

I closed two accounts 3 weeks ago. Proceeds from one account were credited to my local bank as expected. The amount of the proceeds from the second account were debited from the local bank instead of credited.

My first call to Synchrony straightened out their error and the money was credited to my local account, essentially returning the money from their unauthorized debit. However, three phone calls later they still have not given me the money from my account, despite the issue being "elevated" to their managerial group three times. A manager told me the money would be wired on 6/22, but the wire didn't go through because it was stopped on their end. No explanation why.

Today is the 4th call. If this issue isn't resolved (funds in my account) by close of business tomorrow I'll be contacting their bank regulator and my states attorney general with written complaints.

I'm aware of their "upgrade" and understand everything may not go smoothly, regardless of fault. However, their incompetence in correcting errors of their making is inexcusable.

I'm rethinking using online only banks for larger sums of money, and as a result of this debacle will return money to local B&M banks.
SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan »

I had the same issue with the debit instead of the credit. It took SIXTEEN wire transfers to finally get my money back from Synchrony. They just kept making mistake after mistake after mistake and not sending me the right amount of money. Technically they still owe me $5.85 but I am so fed up I am not even trying to get that back. Very happy that my brick and mortar bank waived all the incoming wire transfer fees and the stop payment fee for the debit. Never again will I shift to an online back because of slightly higher rates.
douginct

Post by douginct »

A suggestion when closing an online bank account: what I do is first do a standard online transfer from the online bank to the receiving bank (for me my traditional bank checking account). I just leave a small balance in the online account. Then when I call to close the account, the manual transaction is quite small. If they mess up it is only for a small amount not for thousands of dollars. I trust my diy online transfer way more than I trust the phone rep to process things correctly.
SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan »

In my case, I could not execute the transfer myself because the system upgrade caused my accounts to disappear from the website. They said there was a bug in the upgrade scripts and they did not know when I would get my access back. This is why I closed the account.
ji.isaacs

Post by ji.isaacs »

Ditto. Because I was unable to access my account, I called customer service. No one who had to call Synchrony had any inkling their banking representatives were confused by the difference between debits and credits.

The earlier poster who postulated this mixup was due to a manual error rather than system upgrade was correct. I was told by a manger that this was a "training issue."
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

ji.isaacs wrote:Ditto. Because I was unable to access my account, I called customer service. No one who had to call Synchrony had any inkling their banking representatives were confused by the difference between debits and credits.

The earlier poster who postulated this mixup was due to a manual error rather than system upgrade was correct. I was told by a manger that this was a "training issue."
At reading of first occurrence, I thought "manual error." Now, given breadth and persistency of problem, it's corporate incompetence and lack of basic standards on many levels. They have no business calling themselves a bank.