Inexpensive, reasonably comfortable/durable sunglasses

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
abonder

Inexpensive, reasonably comfortable/durable sunglasses

Post by abonder » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:55 pm

I have been trying to find some decent sunglasses that are inexpensive but comfortable and reasonably durable. I have zero need/desire to own a particularly "nice" brand, but I have found that various attempts to find inexpensive glasses that aren't poorly-made or rigid and uncomfortable have been unsuccessful. This is despite some in-person research and ordering highly-rated pairs online. I recognize this is a highly subjective matter but I wanted to tap into the collective BH experience.

Thanks.

whodidntante

Re: Inexpensive, reasonably comfortable/durable sunglasses

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:59 pm

You can get many nice, high quality pairs for $100. Is that inexpensive? If not, please be more specific.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:04 pm

If you are a Costco member, they have their Kirkland brand sunglasses for $25-$30. I've found them to be comfortable and attractive, and durable providing you don't accidentally sit on them. :oops:

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Gnirk wrote:If you are a Costco member, they have their Kirkland brand sunglasses for $25-$30. I've found them to be comfortable and attractive, and durable providing you don't accidentally sit on them. :oops:
+ 1. After losing some expensive prescription sunglasses in the lake, I switched to Costco sunglasses for the boat and pool and save the nice ones for the car.

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:57 pm

Are these cheap enough? I tend to use these in situations where they might break or be easily lost. $6 is almost throwaway

3M TEKK 11330 Virtua Anti-Fog Safety Glasses, Gray-Frame, Gray-Lens

There's lots of other tinted safety glasses for under $10 on Amazon as well as other places
https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Goggles-G ... 2681344011

wije

Post by wije » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Gnirk wrote:If you are a Costco member, they have their Kirkland brand sunglasses for $25-$30. I've found them to be comfortable and attractive, and durable providing you don't accidentally sit on them. :oops:
Do they still sell them? I couldn't find them on the website...

bgrpph

Post by bgrpph » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:24 pm

also costco stores here have some maui jim brand sunglasses at $90 or so- it's hit/miss in the store on which model but i've bought several
now instead of retail of $220+- maui jim also has good warranty & reasonable repair prices after warranty-

MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:11 pm

try a cycling shop for Tifosi shades. they're light, stay on your face and have minimal blind spots. there are a lot of different styles to fit different heads. you have to try on a few to see which fit your head the best.

most are in the $40-60 range.

Dontridetheindexdown

Go to a welding supplier

Post by Dontridetheindexdown » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:54 pm

They sell "sun glasses" for oxyacetylene cutting for less than $10.

They are totally cool looking, because the young guys will not wear traditional goggles, they insist on the "sunglasses."

They guard against harmful rays, and they are also impact resistant.

They are available in several darkness levels.

I wear them for outdoor work, and for driving.

For oxyacetylene cutting, I still wear the old-fashioned goggles.

happyhiker

Post by happyhiker » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:04 pm

DH has Zeal Optics sunglasses which he likes very much. They are high quality and have a range of prices starting at about $80.

ww340

Post by ww340 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:09 pm

I can afford more expensive glasses, but these are my favorites.
https://www.amazon.com/Global-Vision-Ou ... le+glasses

taojaxx

Post by taojaxx » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:16 pm

$15 Field and Stream at Walmart. Used to wear $200 Oakley or Carrera that I would mysteriously "lose" after a few months. Had my F&S for over 2 years now and even if I forget them at the workplace I find them there the day after: no one's tempted to "borrow" them. Look just as cool as Oakley/Carrera fancy shmancy stuff.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:20 pm

wije wrote:
Do they still sell them? I couldn't find them on the website...
I've found them in the stores, near the outdoor and camping gear. I didn't look at the website.

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Maui Jim is the way to go

Topic Author
abonder

Post by abonder » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Sorry I wasn't more precise in my price range specifications. I was thinking in the less than 30 range. It sounds like it may be worth taking a look at Costco. Some other good suggestions as well. I agree the Maui Jims are great but I seem to have a bad habit of losing/dropping/crushing shades so something of that quality is likely too much of a liability.

Thanks