Quicken For Mac

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Quicken For Mac

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads,

I am interested in feedback on this product. We used Quicken for Windows for many years and stopped 8-9 years ago. Since then, we have converted the entire home to Apple products.

1) How good is this product?

2) Is there an online hosting version? It appears that back in 2010 there was an online version for Windows but Quicken discontinued.

3) Admiral shares - this is most important. How does this work and is it fixed from year ago? Any issues with fractional shares or other miscellaneous adjustments?

Many thanks!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
TimeRunner

Re: Quicken For Mac

Post by TimeRunner »

Deleted obsolete post
Last edited by TimeRunner on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

There was a time when Quicken (Mac) was a good product but that was many versions ago. The good news is that Intuit sold it and we are all waiting to see if the new owners right the ship.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

I'm still using Quickin for Mac 2007. It's been updated a few times since then and works... OK. The newer version doesn't do well for investors, so I've never upgraded to that. Intuit seems to be a rather dysfunctional company with internal political problems that have gotten in the way of Mac development. -- Tet
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Does anyone have experience with the Admiral share conversion?
Angrypuppy

Post by Angrypuppy »

I think I'm an outlier from what I read online.

I use Quicken for MAC 2016 and like it. My finances are pretty simple overall. T Rowe Price has my 401k and they do not support Quicken downloads so that is entered manually once a month. No biggie.

No experience with the Admirals share issue yo are asking about.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

abuss368 wrote:Does anyone have experience with the Admiral share conversion?
See Vanguard's FAQ, near bottom of the page: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/help/F ... ontent.jsp
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
papiper

Post by papiper »

I used windows quicken from 1992 until last year when I moved over to the mac version. About every two months, they have updated the product and added new features. When I first made the move, I missed a lot of the things the windows' version had. As they have improved the product I wouldn't go back now. In fact the only feature I miss is the mac version doesn't do Stock Options so you have to do a workaround for those. Everything else I use is now back, and the ease of entry, views are better than the windows version I last used. It's easy for people to knock Quicken itself and the Mac version in particular, but I am a big fan and realize a lot of complaints are on dated information.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

papiper wrote:I used windows quicken from 1992 until last year when I moved over to the mac version. About every two months, they have updated the product and added new features. When I first made the move, I missed a lot of the things the windows' version had. As they have improved the product I wouldn't go back now. In fact the only feature I miss is the mac version doesn't do Stock Options so you have to do a workaround for those. Everything else I use is now back, and the ease of entry, views are better than the windows version I last used. It's easy for people to knock Quicken itself and the Mac version in particular, but I am a big fan and realize a lot of complaints are on dated information.
Very useful and good to know.

Thanks!
bruination

Post by bruination »

I recently switched to Quicken for Mac for my MacBook because the Quicken version I run on my old pc laptop was getting incredibly slow and clunky. The old data transferred well to Quicken and the downloads for recent data also went well, although there were a lot of adjustments to make in terms of categories. Also, there are still some features I don't fully understand. The big problem is generation of reports. I like to generate expenditures/income to date every couple of months to compare to last year and to my budget for this year. These are very difficult to generate, but I finally developed a suitable work-around using the reporting and budgeting features and exporting to Excel for further analysis which isn't too hard. All in all, I would give it a C grade.

Important caveat: I don't use it to track my investments. I only look at those occasionally (e.g., quarterly) to rebalance and a simple spreadsheet is sufficient for that.

-Doug
RooseveltG

Post by RooseveltG »

I have tried to unsuccessfully migrate my Quicken Windows data to iBank and Moneydance without success. I also found the Mac version of Quicken unusable.

I would love to ditch Parallels but for now I can only hope that the new owners of Quicken improve the Mac version.

Roosevelt.