What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
mrmass

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by mrmass » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:10 am

This is 2 months old but this sentiment is growing.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/07/30/c ... -visa-ban/

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:30 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:58 am
Freefun wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:41 pm
2. Pay a service $50-$200 to find and book award flights for you. You can of course do this yourself but this can be the time consuming part. Also it takes knowledge of all airlines programs to get the best use of your points / miles.
Can you please recommend a business who does that? I never heard of one!
There is a sub-forum on FlyerTalk.com that lists these (well, they list themselves) and there are reports from other members who have used them.

We've done that, and had phenomenal good luck (and/or skill of the service).

They vary slightly (only slightly) in how they operate.

We'd recommend getting one that does NOT charge until/unless they present an itinerary that you find acceptable, full stop.

But make it a bit easier for them by a) being very clear about preferences, and b) being as flexible as possible (which will obviously benefit you as well).

They tend to communicate via email or call you from an undisclosed number. We found that odd and somewhat suspicious at first, but we can understand.
Choose a service that's been around a while and you should be fine.

The first time I tried to get rewards tix, I immediately succeeded in getting two F tix on JAL, which "fooled me".
Next time, no luck at all!
Hence, I tried a service.
In one case, we were incommunicado (staying at a Buddhist Monastery in Japan) when the preferred seats opened up, and our service had authority to "go" if that happened. We found out the next day :happy Those seats would not have still been there, of course.
(We've used two services.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:49 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Freefun wrote:
2. Pay a service $50-$200 to find and book award flights for you. You can of course do this yourself but this can be the time consuming part. Also it takes knowledge of all airlines programs to get the best use of your points / miles.
Some services here ;

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/ ... -services/

I’ve used pointspros some years back and they did a good job for me.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:54 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:30 am
BogleMelon wrote:
Freefun wrote:
There is a sub-forum on FlyerTalk.com that lists these (well, they list themselves) and there are reports from other members who have used them.

We'd recommend getting one that does NOT charge until/unless they present an itinerary that you find acceptable, full stop.

But make it a bit easier for them by a) being very clear about preferences, and b) being as flexible as possible (which will obviously benefit you as well).

They tend to communicate via email or call you from an undisclosed number. We found that odd and somewhat suspicious at first, but we can understand.

The first time I tried to get rewards tix, I immediately succeeded in getting two F tix on JAL, which "fooled me".
In one case, we were incommunicado (staying at a Buddhist Monastery in Japan) when the preferred seats opened up, and our service had authority to "go" if that happened. We found out the next day :happy Those seats would not have still been there, of course.

RM
Thanks, but any names or even URL for the sub-forum on FlyerTalk?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:54 am
ResearchMed wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
Freefun wrote:

RM
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel- ... views.html

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:50 am

Freefun wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 am
BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:54 am
ResearchMed wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
Freefun wrote:

RM
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel- ... views.html
Thanks.
For some reason, I have difficulty navigating around FlyerTalk.com (in a way that I don't have with BH or CruiseCritic.com).

I'd suggest keeping track of the response time once they start working with you. Not just initially getting back to you, but once they are actually working with you, as "time is of the essence" in many cases.

One other benefit is that they can come up with some variations on the itinerary that I didn't even think of, which thus gives many more possible options.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

S_Track

Post by S_Track » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am

Are the rewards given on the individual items or is it classified by the store? For example, say you have a card that gives 2% back at grocery stores and you purchase a kitchen utensil along with your weekly groceries? Is the 2% calculated on the total bill or is the kitchen utensil subtracted off? Thanks

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:59 am

S_Track wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:55 am
Are the rewards given on the individual items or is it classified by the store? For example, say you have a card that gives 2% back at grocery stores and you purchase a kitchen utensil along with your weekly groceries? Is the 2% calculated on the total bill or is the kitchen utensil subtracted off? Thanks
It's based on the classification of the store (merchant).

LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:03 pm

My rewards strategy was born unexpectedly. I recently found myself wanting to downsize before retirement so that the last several months before retirement would be as stressfree as possible and I also planned to use up vacation time. It didn't make sense to keep my lease, so I moved when it expired.

I have been transferring my UR points to Hyatt. I have enough points to live here in the Hyatt House almost until I retire :)

no expenses, less stress, easing my way out.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:14 pm

mapplebum wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:30 am
I'm sure I could get more bang for my buck with Chase Sapphire but still can't wrap my head around the annual fee. Both husband and I use a Citicard for 99% of purchases. On a long enough timeline it generates enough points to serve its purpose. ...
We took your approach for years for simplicity and to maximize cash back. Having kids and not spending as much on travel, that was more valuable to us at the time. Now that we're traveling more, we can justify the Sapphire Reserve card.

Yes, you pay $450 cash per year but it's significantly defrayed and likely costs less than the benefits accrued. That assumes you would spend money on travel and dining regardless of whether or not you have that particular card. The Sapphire Preferred AF is $95 and waived the first year. It doesn't have the $300 travel credit, $200 Global Entry credit, and redemption is at a rate of 1.25 vs 1.5. You may find that easier to stomach. What's not to like about free?

Between new account bonuses, the referral bonus (I referred her) and points earned from spending, we earned 138K points for no cost other than $8,000 normal household expenditures. (Compared to your 2% card, that's an opportunity cost of $160). We kept them for the first year, then converted mine to Reserve and hers to a non-fee card. We book all travel on my card and can't justify the $75 AU fee for her to have her own. We use the Reserve for all travel and dining spending unless we're working on minimum spending requirements for a different new account.

If you travel at all, the Reserve gets you $300 credit against "travel" purchases. Eligible charges are credited immediately, discounting your annual fee down to $150. (cf. Chase Rewards Category FAQs).

If you find TSA Pre-check ($85) or US Customs Service Global Entry ($100) worthwhile (the latter includes the former), you get up to $100 credit every 4 years. Amortize that over 4 years to make it a $25 discount. With that, the effective AF is $125, a net of $30 higher than the lesser Sapphire Preferred.

Both Sapphire cards provide primary CDW on car rentals for personal purposes. On my first use of the card for that reason, I saved $75 vs paying for CDW, or $500+ vs not paying CDW, i.e., the personal insurance deductible I would have had to pay to repair parking lot damage that I didn't cause.

Point redemption on the Chase portal is at a rate of 1.5x for the Reserve and 1.25x for the Preferred, compared to other UR points-based cards = 1. While your valuation of that is personal, it does add value when you book travel through the Chase site.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:28 pm

mapplebum wrote:
I'm sure I could get more bang for my buck with Chase Sapphire but still can't wrap my head around the annual fee.
From what I hear from friends it's pretty easy to exceed the annual fee on the CSR (which is only $150 after the $300 travel credit) by using the Freedom cards for every day spending and transferring their points to the CSR. If you don't travel enough to use the $300 credit it's not worth it over a cash back card.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:06 pm

mrmass wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:10 am

Are there more recent articles on this? The latest articles I can find were written in the first week of August.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:50 pm
JBTX wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:37 am
I'll probably net around $4000-$5000 this year in various bonuses, without a lot of effort. To each his own.
The real money is in the brokerage bonuses, if you have a nice nest egg.
Nothing wrong with doing both.

TravelforFun

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:40 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:06 pm
mrmass wrote:

Are there more recent articles on this? The latest articles I can find were written in the first week of August.
Sept. 25, 2018
https://www.wsj.com/articles/shoppers-l ... counts-wsj
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:07 pm

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:40 pm
flamesabers wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:06 pm
mrmass wrote:

Sept. 25, 2018
That's behind a hard paywall.

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:32 am

I love the Doctor of Credit web site. I use it all the time. Does anybody else have a favorite web site tip?

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:08 pm

azanon wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:51 pm
ge1 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:18 am
BeneIRA wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:52 am

But to get the 2% cash back, you need to redeem it on travel purchases. Meanwhile, the Citi Double Cash is a no fee 2% cash back card. If you travel a lot, it would seem there are much better cards out there than the Venture.
Fair point, the Citi Double Cash sounds like a good deal. I'm honestly too lazy to keep changing cards all the time, so given that I know I can use the miles, I don't feel like I'm losing much with the Venture card. Thanks for pointing it out though.
ge1 - Trust me it's not (a good card). If you're idea of a good credit card is for them to lock up a transaction if it's over $1000, or doesn't fit your normal spending pattern (read; god forbid you buy something expensive), then the citi double cash is for you. Or if you go out of state, and buy ... gosh... anything, prepare for the card not to work! If that doesn't sound good, avoid it like the plague.

I had this card and that's what they did to me all the time. And they won't lessen the restrictions. It's an absolutely terrible card, and you'll earn that 2% cash back in frustration, and negative reviews that you'll write everywhere that you can. Anyone that truly owns this card, and did the same things I described knows everything I'm saying is true.

NONE of my other cards do this to me.
I have not had this experience at all with this card.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Calygos wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:07 pm
FrugalProfessor wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:40 pm
Sept. 25, 2018
That's behind a hard paywall.
It's also available on Yahoo Finance:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/shoppers ... ccounter=1

aida2003

Post by aida2003 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm not a pro in this CC churning game, but if I apply for Chase IHG or CitiCards TY card, can I buy a grocery GC of a few hundred and count it as spending for the bonus purposes? I think AmEx is picky which GC count toward spending, but not sure about Citi and Chase.
Just to be clear, I don't intend to buy a prepaid VISA card, but just a regula Target or HD gift card for spending at those stores later.

Thx

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 pm

aida2003 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:29 pm
I'm not a pro in this CC churning game, but if I apply for Chase IHG or CitiCards TY card, can I buy a grocery GC of a few hundred and count it as spending for the bonus purposes? I think AmEx is picky which GC count toward spending, but not sure about Citi and Chase.
Just to be clear, I don't intend to buy a prepaid VISA card, but just a regula Target or HD gift card for spending at those stores later.

Thx

My gift cards always counted toward min/bonus spending. No issues.

aida2003

Post by aida2003 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:42 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 pm
aida2003 wrote:
Just to be clear, I don't intend to buy a prepaid VISA card, but just a regula Target or HD gift card for spending at those stores later. Thx
My gift cards always counted toward min/bonus spending. No issues.
OK, thanks. I just wanted to confirm if there were or not any changes to T&C in the past year as I hear here and there about the tightening of the rules.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 pm

aida2003 wrote:

Thx

I bought a home depot gift card with amex blue cash and received my 6%. AFAIK the rebate is based upon retailer type. Anything you buy at a grocery gets grocery store rebate. You could in fact by a visa gift card and get the cash back bonus, but they aren't free and the fee will mostly offset the bonus.

I'm not sure I'll do that again though. Bought a $200 home depot gift card which netted $12. For me the $12 wasnt worth having to carry it around for months and worrying about losing it until I finally used it up

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:50 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 pm
I'm not sure I'll do that again though. Bought a $200 home depot gift card which netted $12. For me the $12 wasnt worth having to carry it around for months and worrying about losing it until I finally used it up
Yes, the only gift cards I buy are ones that I can immediately use or load into an account for future use. Amazon and Netflix (I obviously don’t buy hundreds of dollars of Netflix credit). I have no interest in carrying around a bunch of partially used gift cards.

DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:10 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 pm
aida2003 wrote:

Thx
If you are trying to meet the minimum spend to get a big bonus on credit card, buying a Gift Card is an easy way to do this. You should combine your GC purchase with a lot of normal everyday purchases.

I would not be that quick to dismiss the Visa Variable load GC. They are little bit more versatile to use than store specific cards. You can buy One Vanilla Visas. It actually says One Vanilla on the cover. The first time you use it you put in a 4-digit number of your choice. You can buy these cards at Walgreen and at a lot of Grocery Stores. You can buy them on Walmart’s website. They cost around $6 to purchase, but like I said you would buy them to meet minimum spend for the bonus. Another plus about these cards is you can drain a low balance to your Amazon account.

You should not have any problems buying these cards with a Chase CC. Buying them with a Citi card may be a little bit more of a problem. Citi likes to flag these cards as a cash advance. You will need to Zero out your cash advance setting on the card. Citi also likes to flag these buys as a fraud purchase.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:33 pm

DrGrnTum wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:10 pm
If you are trying to meet the minimum spend to get a big bonus on credit card, buying a Gift Card is an easy way to do this. You should combine your GC purchase with a lot of normal everyday purchases.

I would not be that quick to dismiss the Visa Variable load GC. They are little bit more versatile to use than store specific cards. You can buy One Vanilla Visas. It actually says One Vanilla on the cover. The first time you use it you put in a 4-digit number of your choice. You can buy these cards at Walgreen and at a lot of Grocery Stores. You can buy them on Walmart’s website. They cost around $6 to purchase, but like I said you would buy them to meet minimum spend for the bonus. Another plus about these cards is you can drain a low balance to your Amazon account.

You should not have any problems buying these cards with a Chase CC. Buying them with a Citi card may be a little bit more of a problem. Citi likes to flag these cards as a cash advance. You will need to Zero out your cash advance setting on the card. Citi also likes to flag these buys as a fraud purchase.
In a lot of stores, including all our local Wal-marts, purchases of gift cards, fixed or variable, are only allowed with cash or debit cards, not credit cards. This is per store policy, not issuer. But this is highly locale-specific.

solobuildingblogs

Post by solobuildingblogs » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:49 am

Especially if you already have the Amex business platinum or Amex Schwab platinum, get the revamped Amex gold personal card. It’s now 4 points per dollar for restaurants and supermarkets. Converting to cash with the Amex Schwann at a 1.25 multiplier that’s 5% back. Redeeming for airfare in the airline of your choice with Amex business platinum it’s ewuivalent of 6.16% back. If you can transfer to airlines and get 1.8 cents per point that’s like 7.2% back!

Annual fee of $250 offset by $100 airline credit and if you frequent grub hub, Cheesecake Factory or shake shack, $10/ month credit is another $120 back making equivalent of $30 fee.

Internet links are for 25,000 point signup but referral links are on the internet for 50,000 points, or clear your browser before applying.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:34 am

spammagnet wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:14 pm
mapplebum wrote:
I'm sure I could get more bang for my buck with Chase Sapphire but still can't wrap my head around the annual fee. Both husband and I use a Citicard for 99% of purchases. On a long enough timeline it generates enough points to serve its purpose. ...
We took your approach for years for simplicity and to maximize cash back. Having kids and not spending as much on travel, that was more valuable to us at the time. Now that we're traveling more, we can justify the Sapphire Reserve card.

Yes, you pay $450 cash per year but it's significantly defrayed and likely costs less than the benefits accrued. That assumes you would spend money on travel and dining regardless of whether or not you have that particular card. The Sapphire Preferred AF is $95 and waived the first year. It doesn't have the $300 travel credit, $200 Global Entry credit, and redemption is at a rate of 1.25 vs 1.5. You may find that easier to stomach. What's not to like about free?

Between new account bonuses, the referral bonus (I referred her) and points earned from spending, we earned 138K points for no cost other than $8,000 normal household expenditures. (Compared to your 2% card, that's an opportunity cost of $160). We kept them for the first year, then converted mine to Reserve and hers to a non-fee card. We book all travel on my card and can't justify the $75 AU fee for her to have her own. We use the Reserve for all travel and dining spending unless we're working on minimum spending requirements for a different new account.

If you travel at all, the Reserve gets you $300 credit against "travel" purchases. Eligible charges are credited immediately, discounting your annual fee down to $150. (cf. Chase Rewards Category FAQs).

If you find TSA Pre-check ($85) or US Customs Service Global Entry ($100) worthwhile (the latter includes the former), you get up to $100 credit every 4 years. Amortize that over 4 years to make it a $25 discount. With that, the effective AF is $125, a net of $30 higher than the lesser Sapphire Preferred.

Both Sapphire cards provide primary CDW on car rentals for personal purposes. On my first use of the card for that reason, I saved $75 vs paying for CDW, or $500+ vs not paying CDW, i.e., the personal insurance deductible I would have had to pay to repair parking lot damage that I didn't cause.

Point redemption on the Chase portal is at a rate of 1.5x for the Reserve and 1.25x for the Preferred, compared to other UR points-based cards = 1. While your valuation of that is personal, it does add value when you book travel through the Chase site.
Thanks for sharing this. I have now CSP, and plan to upgrade it to CSR next year. I would have around 70K UR points right before i ask for an upgrade. My question to you is would my existing CSP 70K UR points would worth 1.5 cents each instead of the current 1.25 after upgrading? thanks!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:51 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:34 am
Thanks for sharing this. I have now CSP, and plan to upgrade it to CSR next year. I would have around 70K UR points right before i ask for an upgrade. My question to you is would my existing CSP 70K UR points would worth 1.5 cents each instead of the current 1.25 after upgrading? thanks!
Yes, they are. Chase doesn't track when or what card you used to earn UR points. They only care about what type of account you're redeeming them through, and that the account you use to redeem them is active.

It behooves you to transfer all UR points to the CSP/CSR, if eligible. E.g., your spouse with the same home address has a Chase Freedom for which points would normally be eligible for 1:1 redemption. If s/he transfers those points to your CSR account, you can redeem them at a rate of 1:1.5.

SobeCane

Post by SobeCane » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:09 am

Need help from the Chase UR experts.

Currently have about 200k UR points. My Sapphire Preferred Card $95 annual fee is due in January. Not eligible for new UR bonus because I downgraded from Sapphire Reserve which I received 100k when it first released in Fall of 2016. Not interested in any of the benefits because I already have Priority Pass from a few other cards, Global Entry, etc.

1. Can I upgrade back to Sapphire Reserve? How will $300 travel credit and $450 AF work?
2. Should I apply for Chase Ink Business Preferred? (I am under 5/24) and cancel the Sapphire Preferred once I transfer the points to the Ink?
3. My wife has Chase Ink Business Preferred. Can we pool points so I can cancel the Preferred?
3. Any other ideas?

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 am

SobeCane wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:09 am

Currently have about 200k UR points. My Sapphire Preferred Card $95 annual fee is due in January. Not eligible for new UR bonus because I downgraded from Sapphire Reserve which I received 100k when it first released in Fall of 2016. Not interested in any of the benefits because I already have Priority Pass from a few other cards, Global Entry, etc.

1. Can I upgrade back to Sapphire Reserve? How will $300 travel credit and $450 AF work?
2. Should I apply for Chase Ink Business Preferred? (I am under 5/24) and cancel the Sapphire Preferred once I transfer the points to the Ink?
3. My wife has Chase Ink Business Preferred. Can we pool points so I can cancel the Preferred?
3. Any other ideas?
1. Yes. Usually the AF will hit when your usual AF hits, so January for you.
2. Yes definitely, I would. 80k bonus is huge.
3. Yes you can pool points with any UR earning card in your household.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:45 am

Barclays is no longer accepting applications for the Arrival Premiere, the monstrosity of a card that was correctly coined as the "Dead on Arrival" card. I thought it was funny that they said they would no longer be accepting new applications when no one is actually applying for the card, so I don't see the concern about the application link, but cool. I think they made it a whopping six months.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:45 am

BW1985 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 am
SobeCane wrote:

3. Any other ideas?
Sorry to hack this post but that opened up a question for me. So basically one can keep upgrading/downgrading every year without a limit, based on his needs/travel expectations?

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:29 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:45 am
BW1985 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 am
SobeCane wrote:

3. Any other ideas?
Sorry to hack this post but that opened up a question for me. So basically one can keep upgrading/downgrading every year without a limit, based on his needs/travel expectations?
No.

I’ll also put my 2 cents worth on the prior answer (some will say < 2 cents).
Yes someone can ask to upgrade back to CSR. Whether they will allow it is another matter.
Frequent upgrading / downgrading / card churning (any combination) can result in your account being flagged either for special review or reconsideration. When this goes to humans for review they sometimes check more things including overall credit scores, utilization, recent applications (not just with them). This can (and has in some cases) result in accounts being shut down - not just the one account but every accout you have with them. They may conclude that your overall risk exceeds the value of having you as a customer.

There are documented cases of this all over the blogosphere. So the occasional upgrade or downgrade may be no problem, but if done frequently this could end badly.

SobeCane

Post by SobeCane » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Freefun wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:29 am

I’ll also put my 2 cents worth on the prior answer (some will say < 2 cents).
Yes someone can ask to upgrade back to CSR. Whether they will allow it is another matter.
Frequent upgrading / downgrading / card churning (any combination) can result in your account being flagged either for special review or reconsideration. When this goes to humans for review they sometimes check more things including overall credit scores, utilization, recent applications (not just with them). This can (and has in some cases) result in accounts being shut down - not just the one account but every accout you have with them. They may conclude that your overall risk exceeds the value of having you as a customer.

There are documented cases of this all over the blogosphere. So the occasional upgrade or downgrade may be no problem, but if done frequently this could end badly.
Thanks for the explanation. Knowing that, I won't try to upgrade back to Sapphire Reserve. I will do either of the following unless someone has a better idea:

1. Open Chase Ink Business Preferred for the 80k point welcome bonus, move my current points there and cancel the Sapphire Preferred
2. Move my points to my wife's Ink Business Preferred and cancel the Sapphire Preferred.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:54 pm

Nowadays the only card I go after is Southwest because of its companion pass (buy 1 get 1 free) program. My current pass expires in December and I will start the whole process again in January.

TravelforFun

kppphd

Post by kppphd » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:41 pm

No foreign transaction fees and free cash withdrawals abroad from an ATM.
kppphd77

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:20 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:54 pm
Nowadays the only card I go after is Southwest because of its companion pass (buy 1 get 1 free) program. My current pass expires in December and I will start the whole process again in January.

TravelforFun
Are you going to sign up for the Southwest business card and then the personal, hoping it goes up to 50,000 since the personal double dip is no longer allowed?

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:06 am

BeneIRA wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:20 pm
TravelforFun wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:54 pm

TravelforFun
Are you going to sign up for the Southwest business card and then the personal, hoping it goes up to 50,000 since the personal double dip is no longer allowed?
Yes I'm going to sign up for one business and one personal in January and February.

TravelforFun

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:50 am

BeneIRA wrote:
Barclays is no longer accepting applications for the Arrival Premiere, the monstrosity of a card that was correctly coined as the "Dead on Arrival" card. I thought it was funny that they said they would no longer be accepting new applications when no one is actually applying for the card, so I don't see the concern about the application link, but cool. I think they made it a whopping six months.
Though I didn't apply for it I am honestly sad to see it go. I really wanted Barclays to find a way to make another transferable points currency to compete with UR/TYP/MR especially now that Marriott/SPG is effectively dead for credit card spend at least for airline transfers. UR is also a lot less valuable to me at the moment with the loss of Korean. If they had just tweaked the card some I would have applied (or even better if they allowed product conversions). I spend a lot in a given year so redirecting $25k in spend to this card would have been trivial but it just wasn't worthwhile given the combination or poor points transfer math, high fee relative to what you got (I am happy to pay high fees when the value proposition is there and indeed spend quite a bit a year on AFs) and a poor selection of transfer partners of which the only unique one was JAL which had an even poorer transfer ratio than all the others (other than Aeroplan). Hopefully they find a way to make it work. Imagine the money they spent on setting up the currency transfer systems and agreements with airlines. I suspect we may see transfers on some existing Baraclay product or perhaps a new card.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:22 am

THY4373 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:50 am
BeneIRA wrote:
Though I didn't apply for it I am honestly sad to see it go. I really wanted Barclays to find a way to make another transferable points currency to compete with UR/TYP/MR especially now that Marriott/SPG is effectively dead for credit card spend at least for airline transfers. UR is also a lot less valuable to me at the moment with the loss of Korean. If they had just tweaked the card some I would have applied (or even better if they allowed product conversions). I spend a lot in a given year so redirecting $25k in spend to this card would have been trivial but it just wasn't worthwhile given the combination or poor points transfer math, high fee relative to what you got (I am happy to pay high fees when the value proposition is there and indeed spend quite a bit a year on AFs) and a poor selection of transfer partners of which the only unique one was JAL which had an even poorer transfer ratio than all the others (other than Aeroplan). Hopefully they find a way to make it work. Imagine the money they spent on setting up the currency transfer systems and agreements with airlines. I suspect we may see transfers on some existing Baraclay product or perhaps a new card.
One of your reasons on why you are sad to see it go is exactly why I am happy it failed. The card was not good and Barclays got a resounding answer from the public. I believe you are absolutely correct that Barclays spent considerable resources to set up these transfer partners and I doubt they will let those relationships go to waste, sunk cost fallacy and all of that. I suspect we will see a better product in the future that is more competitive and has a sign-up bonus that will make us happy this card failed. The fact that someone or more likely multiple people within Barclays thought this card would succeed should be concerning to them since the grand majority of people knew it would fail.

ForeverInvestorILL

Post by ForeverInvestorILL » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:06 am

This has been a very interesting thread to follow.

My credit card strategy is fairly simple (I think in relative terms to what I’ve read here lol):

1. Chase Sapphire Reserve - 3x on travel and dining
2. Chase Ink Cash - 5x on AT&T cell phone bill and 2x on gas
3. Chase Freedom Unlimited - 1.5x on everything else

I also have a local credit union Student Visa card that I am an authorized user that has the longest credit history and I only use a few times a year for small purchases.

All UR points are pooled into CSR balance after monthly statements are posted.

Redepemtions have been used for international flights only so far through the Chase Portal. I have reviewed transfer partners (United, British Airways, etc) each time before booking but haven’t had much luck with some of the crazy redemption values I’ve read about.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:09 pm

ForeverInvestorILL wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:06 am

My credit card strategy is fairly simple (I think in relative terms to what I’ve read here lol):

That is my foundation as well, with the same cards. I will also add that my Amazon spend is generally covered by gift cards purchased with the Ink Cash for 5x UR at an office supply store.

It gets temporarily modified, though, when I have a new card to earn the signup bonus. 2-3 times a year so far, but that will slow down now. And sometimes one of my other cards has temporary bonuses that may shift my spend. E.g., my UA Select Visa has a “spend $3k by EOY, get 5k UA miles” offer.

ForeverInvestorILL

Post by ForeverInvestorILL » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:38 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:09 pm
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:06 am

That is my foundation as well, with the same cards. I will also add that my Amazon spend is generally covered by gift cards purchased with the Ink Cash for 5x UR at an office supply store.

It gets temporarily modified, though, when I have a new card to earn the signup bonus. 2-3 times a year so far, but that will slow down now. And sometimes one of my other cards has temporary bonuses that may shift my spend. E.g., my UA Select Visa has a “spend $3k by EOY, get 5k UA miles” offer.
TravelGeek - I forgot to include gift card spend in the 5x category. I actually used this primarily to hit the minimum spend (mostly Shell gift cards) but now since that is met, I have mostly given up on the 5x gift card spend. The nearest Staples is not really conveiently located and all of the recent Chase Shutdown articles have me hesitant to load up on gift cards when I can just use the credit card at the pump.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:38 pm
TravelGeek - I forgot to include gift card spend in the 5x category. I actually used this primarily to hit the minimum spend (mostly Shell gift cards) but now since that is met, I have mostly given up on the 5x gift card spend. The nearest Staples is not really conveiently located and all of the recent Chase Shutdown articles have me hesitant to load up on gift cards when I can just use the credit card at the pump.
I used Arco gas cards for a while when we lived in CA. Arco had generally the cheapest gas prices around, but only accepted cash and debit cards. It was a bit of a pain in the neck, since I always wanted to fill up my tank, and so I either ended up with a small amount left on a card or had to deal with multiple cards. Now that we live in OR (in general, no self-service at gas stations), that's too much of a hassle. Plus most of our driving is with an EV, so gasoline really isn't a big spend category for us.

More broadly, I don't buy gift cards to earn extra points unless I can load them into an account (combine them). I don't want piles of gift cards to keep track of. So Amazon and Netflix are the only ones at the moment. Starbucks cards could be combined, but I am not a big SBUX customer, so not worth it. And I don't buy any VISA gift cards either. My overall spend on gift cards is probably less than $2k/year.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:13 pm

With the new AMEX Gold card my strategy has shifted:

AMEX Blue Business Plus for 2x everyday spend
AMEX Gold for 4x Groceries and Restaurants

Chase Ink Cash #1 upgraded to Chase Ink Preferred for 3x travel
Chase Sapphire Reserve downgraded to Freedom for additional 5x bandwidth

Citi Double Cash for big ticket purchases (price protection, 2 year warranty)

As always, will attempt to use AMEX offers that make sense.

So I’ll be paying $345 in annual fees and be getting back $100 airline credit and $120 in seamless credits for a total net AF of $125.

I’ve always used both AMEX MR and Chase UR but my spend will now heavily favor AMEX. What will be interesting is if this will work for me—I think AMEX is much better for flights than Chase, but Hyatt is by far the best transfer partner between all of the issuers. Not sure I will be earning enough UR anymore to bother staying invested in that ecosystem.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:36 pm

SobeCane wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:11 pm
Thanks for the explanation. Knowing that, I won't try to upgrade back to Sapphire Reserve. I will do either of the following unless someone has a better idea:

1. Open Chase Ink Business Preferred for the 80k point welcome bonus, move my current points there and cancel the Sapphire Preferred
2. Move my points to my wife's Ink Business Preferred and cancel the Sapphire Preferred.
This may or may not matter to you but the primary rental car CDW provided by the Ink card is limited to business uses. Conversely, the CDW for rentals paid by the Sapphire is limited to personal use.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Providing another example of the power of the Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Today I booked a two night stay in Washington DC (for next month) at a Hyatt Property. Cash rate for the room was $1,060 (all-in) while the award rate was 30,000 points. I transferred 30,000 of my Chase UR points to Hyatt (took less than 1 minute for the points to show up in my Hyatt account) and used the points to satisfy the full room cost.

Since it took $10,000 in charges to earn the 30,000 Chase UR points, the return on each dollar spent in this case was 10.6%. Hard to beat that (outside of bonus awards from CC churning).

I've done this before with a Hyatt property, but this is the first time I've gotten the value of Chase UR points over 10 cents on the dollar.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Today I booked a two night stay in Washington DC (for next month) at a Hyatt Property. Cash rate for the room was $1,060 (all-in) while the award rate was 30,000 points. I transferred 30,000 of my Chase UR points to Hyatt (took less than 1 minute for the points to show up in my Hyatt account) and used the points to satisfy the full room cost.

Since it took $10,000 in charges to earn the 30,000 Chase UR points, the return on each dollar spent in this case was 10.6%. Hard to beat that (outside of bonus awards from CC churning).

I've done this before with a Hyatt property, but this is the first time I've gotten the value of Chase UR points over 10 cents on the dollar.
I get your math, but here's the rub: The average guy isn't gonna spend $530 per night to stay in a hotel anywhere. The only way to get your 10.6% is to do inflated luxury travel. Perhaps you'd do it anyway, so for you it truly is a 10.6% return. But I'd venture to guess that most (but not all) would not actually spend $1060 to stay in a hotel anywhere for two nights.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:37 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 pm
MikeG62 wrote:

I get your math, but here's the rub: The average guy isn't gonna spend $530 per night to stay in a hotel anywhere. The only way to get your 10.6% is to do inflated luxury travel. Perhaps you'd do it anyway, so for you it truly is a 10.6% return. But I'd venture to guess that most (but not all) would not actually spend $1060 to stay in a hotel anywhere for two nights.
Fair point on the average guy/girl.

There are many posts in this thread from folks who have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card though. Perhaps not a lot of average guy's/girls in that subset of people given the $450 gross annual fee. It is a thread about people's CC reward strategy after all. So just sharing a bit more about mine.

Yes, DW and I do do it anyway. [Slept away from home 53 nights in 2018 (not counting nights spent at family's beach house) and average cash cost per night was $493 (range was $300 to $650 per night).] Nice to be able to monetize some points at 10 cents on the dollar (even if infrequently) :D.

We have a trip booked for Feb 2019 (Park City Utah) and we are staying at a Marriott property. Monetized points at 7.5 cents on the dollar for this trip (cash room cost was just a tick under $600 per night). BTW, good luck finding any hotels in Park City under $600 per night during ski season. Most places want four figures a night. :shock:
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 pm
MikeG62 wrote:

Sort of agree but not necessarily in this case. Staying in a city center can be very expensive. A 15000pt room is probably a decent room but by no means luxury. Wife and I went to visit Chicago this summer and after deciding didn’t realize how expensive it was to stay in city center. We got $500 rooms for 15000 pts as well. Certainly no “luxury hotel”. We would likely have skipped the trip after realizing how much it would cost but we used Hyatt points.

What I will say is that Hyatt and to a lesser extent United are the only reasons to stick with Chase IMO. United gives you excellent access to Europe with no fuel surcharges and Hyatt points are by far the most valuable day in and day out.