What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Da5id

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Da5id » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:23 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:15 pm
Oddly enough, I had September marked as the time to get a new credit card months before the Equifax leak occurred. I have this nagging doubt my credit card application will be denied because the banks and credit agencies will be reluctant to issue out new credit at this time.
Maybe. I imagine that for the CC companies life goes on and they have targets to hit.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Interesting news about Barclaycard Arrival +.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/is-barcl ... ints-here/

Skyccord

Post by Skyccord » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:59 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:58 am
Skyccord wrote:I'm a churner in my own right.

Daily card - Capital One Spark Business - 2% cash back no limit

Travel & Entertainment - Chase Sapphire Preferred - 3% on those categories no limit

Did you mean Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3%? Or you are getting 3% on the CSP? If the latter, I want to know the trick.

Victoria
Typo, I mean Reserve.

drk

Post by drk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:19 am

It looks like the Bank of America Premium Rewards card went live today (DoC link). The card is a great daily-driver for anyone with BoA Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors status (or those looking to take advantage of a Merrill Edge transfer bonus).

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:51 am

giesen5 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Arrival Plus used to be a great card....not so much anymore.

I downgraded mine to the free version to keep my card history up and also not lose the points I had accumulated before.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 pm

protagonist wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:51 am
giesen5 wrote:

I downgraded mine to the free version to keep my card history up and also not lose the points I had accumulated before.
Arrival + was still an excellent card for high churners....it was something I could go back to every 6 months and get another $500 from. Looks like those days are over.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Bfwolf wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 pm
protagonist wrote:
giesen5 wrote:

Arrival + was still an excellent card for high churners....it was something I could go back to every 6 months and get another $500 from. Looks like those days are over.
Totally agree. I applied (again) last month and was denied. I was shocked, but now realize I was in that first wave of new rules from BC.

Not many cards left that can be churned like Arrival +, waiting for Alaska to start cracking down.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:05 pm

giesen5 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:33 pm
Bfwolf wrote:
protagonist wrote:
giesen5 wrote:

Totally agree. I applied (again) last month and was denied. I was shocked, but now realize I was in that first wave of new rules from BC.

Not many cards left that can be churned like Arrival +, waiting for Alaska to start cracking down.
Allegedly already have. Four new BOA cards in a 24 month period.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:30 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:05 pm
giesen5 wrote:
Bfwolf wrote:
protagonist wrote:
giesen5 wrote:

Dammit! Do you know if it is 4 different cards or the same card 4 times in 24 months?

hale2

Post by hale2 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:42 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
Bfwolf wrote:
protagonist wrote:
giesen5 wrote:

I don't know about that. I just received a new Alaska card and have had 6 BofA cards in the last 18 months. I do know that if you already have an Alaska they will not give you a new one like they used to be willing to. You now need to cancel your current one and apply for a new one after a couple of months.

Markr867

Post by Markr867 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 pm

SO was just approved for Southwest Plus and Premier today. With the bonus at 60,000 on each card, that is an easy Companion Pass for all of 2018 and 2019 :D We sent Chase a message, and confirmed that we have until 1/11/18 to meet the minimum spend. We plan to spend ~$1500 on each card between now and 12/31, and then buy a $500 Visa gift card on 1/1/18.

sco

Post by sco » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Markr867 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 pm
SO was just approved for Southwest Plus and Premier today. With the bonus at 60,000 on each card, that is an easy Companion Pass for all of 2018 and 2019 :D We sent Chase a message, and confirmed that we have until 1/11/18 to meet the minimum spend. We plan to spend ~$1500 on each card between now and 12/31, and then buy a $500 Visa gift card on 1/1/18.
When do they start the date? Is it really the first 3 statements and not the first 3 months* on the spend?

Or is it 90 days?

Trying to figure out how you applied today but have until Jan 11th of next year.

NOLA

Post by NOLA » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 pm

Markr867 wrote:
Be careful because chase lied/didn't know the facts when I opened my account. Forgot the exact issue but I didn't spend it before late November or something so I didn't get he companion pass. I was pissed because the first few at chase said no problem, you will be fine.

Markr867

Post by Markr867 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:46 am

sco wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 pm
Markr867 wrote:
When do they start the date? Is it really the first 3 statements and not the first 3 months* on the spend?

Or is it 90 days?

Trying to figure out how you applied today but have until Jan 11th of next year.
Chase unofficially gives you ~115 days to meet the spend to account for card shipping times, etc.
NOLA wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 pm
Markr867 wrote:
Be careful because chase lied/didn't know the facts when I opened my account. Forgot the exact issue but I didn't spend it before late November or something so I didn't get he companion pass. I was pissed because the first few at chase said no problem, you will be fine.
We have it in writing that we have until 1/11, so I will not hesitate to reach out to the CFPB if needed if they try and pull anything.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:37 am

guitarguy wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:44 am
ChiefIlliniwek wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:26 am
guitarguy wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:45 am
BeneIRA wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:40 am
guitarguy wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:09 am

+1 on Amex business cards not counting.

Can anyone else confirm that Chase business cards aren't counted? If they're not counted then my Ink+ wouldn't be counted...which would currently leave me at 4/24.

I just assumed, and have read, that Chase will count their own business cards towards 5/24. After all, they know they gave you that account. Thoughts?
Chase doesn't count their own business cards in 5/24 even though they can see them. It's a weird quirk. Also to the person asking about the Amex Plat, go incognito to get 75,000 or 100,000. Don't settle for 60,000.
Cool...I see a 75k offer when going with a private browser. I will go for that rather than the 60k!

But, now that this knowledge that I'm eligible for CSR due to Chase not counting Ink+ towards 5/24...I'm really debating between CSR or Amex Plat right now. Trying to figure out which will be more valuable for me, with the caveat that I'm working towards our HI vacation in Sep 2018.

I'm looking at getting one of these cards in Sep/Oct 2017 and using them for all of our general fall spending. Shouldn't have a problem meeting either minimum spend ($5k vs $4k) as we're planning on buying a new bedroom set this fall in addition to finishing up remodeling our master bedroom.

CSR: 50k UR points bonus [$750 ish value], $300 travel credit (1X use) [$300 value], $100 GE credit [$100 value]. $450 fee, $4k min spend.
Call this a net of +$700 after the fee.
Upsides: travel credit is very easy to redeem, UR points are *generally* better than MR points, but not by a lot.
Downsides: less value than Amex Plat?

Amex Plat: 75k MR points [$1125 ish value], $200 airline credit (2X use) [$400 value], $200 GE credits (one additional GE credit for free Gold A/U) [$200 value]. $550 fee, $5k min spend. $45 fee to transfer the bonus points.
Call this a net of +$1130 after the fees.
Upsides: potentially quite a high value! We will get 2 GE credits, which we will use for Precheck on several flights starting in Dec 2017.
Downsides: airline credit might be tougher to utilize, but see below for my tentative plan to utilize this.

Airline credit plan:
For 2017, right when I get the card, designate Delta as our preferred airline. Buy 4X $50 Delta gift cards. Per lots of data points on Flyer Talk Forums...this should trigger the $200 credit. Then, when I book our flights to HI, book using the miles+cash option. These flights are 35k miles+$150 for DTW to LIH, and from OGG to DTW in Comfort Plus. (Note: We also have 2X $50 Delta e-gift cards currently, so we'll have 6X $50 cards for a total of $300). Basically then, our flights *should* cost us 142k Delta miles plus $300 in cash, which will be covered by burning up these e-gift cards.

For 2018, designate Delta again as our preferred airline. Pay $100 for checked bags round trip for HI, which will be reimbursed from the credit. Either burn the last $100 on 2X $50 gift cards and end up back where we started, or burn it up with a drink or 2 and a lounge pass for the HI trip. Lounge access for Delta is $29 per guest as I understand it, and we will almost certainly have a layover at SEA or LAX on our way to/from HI. Since I will have a free Gold A/U rather than another Plat user, I will have to pay the fee to get my spouse in. The fee should trigger a credit.

I was planning on keeping DL Gold Amex for priority boarding and free bags for these flights ($100 cost vs $95 annual fee for year 2). Instead, cancel this card and "save" the $95. Bags will be covered by credit for 2018, and the C+ seats come with priority boarding (should we even decide to use it having no items for the overhead bin).

Based on all of the above...I'm leaning towards the Amex Plat despite the higher fee and the more-difficult-to-use airline credit (vs travel credit on the CSR). Any faulty logic or things I'm missing here!

Thanks fellow travel hackers!!
I think it looks good. Also with the CSR you will get 3x UR on dining so if you spend lots of money on dining that might change the math a little. You also get trip delay insurance with the CSR that you don't get with the Plat and rental insurance doesn't come with an added fee like it does on the Plat.

I would keep the Delta AMEX if you are going to have any other flights on Delta for sure.

Try to route through SEA because there is a Centurion Lounge there, but not sure how easy it is to access.

I would check on how many payment options you can use on Delta, because on Southwest you can only use 3 so only 2 gift cards and a CC. Also I would buy the gift cards not all at once. Buy the first one and wait until you get the reimbursement, then buy the next and so on until you buy 4.
Thanks!

We have (and will keep long term) a CSP already...so we get 2X on travel/dining and primary rental coverage. I've done the math and the jump to 3X for the CSR is not good for us long term. The higher AF plus the fee for an A/U (so we can transfer UR points to each others loyalty accounts - DW collects Hyatt and United, I collect Delta and Southwest) make the extra 1% in earning not worth the extra fee, even after the travel credit. If the A/U was free then we'd be talking...but alas...the extra $75 fee makes it meh.

I *eventually* will end up keeping a Delta (probably Gold) Amex long term as we live near a Delta hub (DTW)...but I haven't gotten the personal Delta Plat or Gold Amex yet, just the business, so I'm not sure it'll be worth paying the fee right now seeing as we probably won't have any other Delta flights in 2018...HI will be a long trip! By the time we plan our next vacation on Delta I'll have one of the personal cards for the miles and perks.

Delta is our preferred airline for anything that's not our annual (or semi-annual) DTW to DAL trip to visit my in-laws. We book these solely with SW miles because DAL is a SW hub and there are ridiculously cheap nonstop flights daily which works perfect for us since we rarely travel during peak times and always have flexible dates for these trips.
Just pulled the trigger on this Amex Platinum card last night.

Thanks to the tip from this forum, I got a free authorized user Gold card for Mr. Guitarguy too so we can both get GE (mainly will be used for Precheck but I see no reason to just get Precheck since GE includes it...right??) credits.

Thanks to another tip here, went to a private browser and nabbed a 75k MR point bonus offer for $5k spend as opposed to the standard 60k. This and GE are the biggest reason I'm getting the card...going to have extra padding on Delta miles for our Hawaii trip should we need them!

Also may book C+ seats (depending on the cost difference). I'd like to maybe just nab an exit row seat and pay the extra charge (getting it reimbursed via the airline credit)...but...aren't the preferred exit row seats reserved for status people? So they won't open up to us until we check in...therefore making it pretty unlikely that we'll get one. The safer route to go would be booking C+ probably. I've also read mixed things that the airline credit works for upgrades...but are award tickets even upgradable? Can we book an award flight and then use miles+cash to upgrade to C+?

As much as I've learned about travel hacking...some of it is still so confusing! Particularly getting the most out of this airline credit. Based on FT forums I could get 4 X $50 gift cards...but they seem awfully difficult to redeem! :shock:

Another question: The $100 hotel amenity credit per stay at these Amex Luxury hotels. Do you have to book the stay through Amex travel portal or whatever to get this credit? The Grand Hyatt Kauai is on this list, however I'm not sure we'll be booking through the Amex travel portal since the bride/groom are getting a group rate...we may have to contact the hotel directly. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:48 am

giesen5 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:30 pm
BeneIRA wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
Bfwolf wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Dammit! Do you know if it is 4 different cards or the same card 4 times in 24 months?
Data points suggest it is any four BOA cards, but apparently it isn't as rough as Chase's rule since, allegedly, some managers will override it.
hale2 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:42 pm
[quote=BeneIRA post_id=3537594 time=<a href="tel:1505761503">1505761503</a> user_id=58318]
[quote=giesen5 post_id=3537423 time=<a href="tel:1505755986">1505755986</a> user_id=106337]
[quote=Bfwolf post_id=3537406 time=<a href="tel:1505755372">1505755372</a> user_id=21523]
[quote=protagonist post_id=3537356 time=<a href="tel:1505753518">1505753518</a> user_id=22932]
[quote=giesen5 post_id=3534500 time=<a href="tel:1505531242">1505531242</a> user_id=106337]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't know about that. I just received a new Alaska card and have had 6 BofA cards in the last 18 months. I do know that if you already have an Alaska they will not give you a new one like they used to be willing to. You now need to cancel your current one and apply for a new one after a couple of months.
[/quote]

Define "just" because this rule became effective pretty recently, but there are some data points like yours suggesting it isn't a hard and fast rule.
guitarguy wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:37 am
[quote=guitarguy post_id=3505322 time=<a href="tel:1503589490">1503589490</a> user_id=22817]
[quote=ChiefIlliniwek post_id=3505300 time=<a href="tel:1503588363">1503588363</a> user_id=60076]
[quote=guitarguy post_id=3505224 time=<a href="tel:1503585906">1503585906</a> user_id=22817]
[quote=BeneIRA post_id=3505040 time=<a href="tel:1503574837">1503574837</a> user_id=58318]
[quote=guitarguy post_id=3505020 time=<a href="tel:1503572948">1503572948</a> user_id=22817]

+1 on Amex business cards not counting.

Can anyone else confirm that Chase business cards aren't counted? If they're not counted then my Ink+ wouldn't be counted...which would currently leave me at 4/24.

I just assumed, and have read, that Chase will count their own business cards towards 5/24. After all, they know they gave you that account. Thoughts?
Chase doesn't count their own business cards in 5/24 even though they can see them. It's a weird quirk. Also to the person asking about the Amex Plat, go incognito to get 75,000 or 100,000. Don't settle for 60,000.
[/quote]

Cool...I see a 75k offer when going with a private browser. I will go for that rather than the 60k!

But, now that this knowledge that I'm eligible for CSR due to Chase not counting Ink+ towards 5/24...I'm really debating between CSR or Amex Plat right now. Trying to figure out which will be more valuable for me, with the caveat that I'm working towards our HI vacation in Sep 2018.

I'm looking at getting one of these cards in Sep/Oct 2017 and using them for all of our general fall spending. Shouldn't have a problem meeting either minimum spend ($5k vs $4k) as we're planning on buying a new bedroom set this fall in addition to finishing up remodeling our master bedroom.

CSR: 50k UR points bonus [$750 ish value], $300 travel credit (1X use) [$300 value], $100 GE credit [$100 value]. $450 fee, $4k min spend.
Call this a net of +$700 after the fee.
Upsides: travel credit is very easy to redeem, UR points are *generally* better than MR points, but not by a lot.
Downsides: less value than Amex Plat?

Amex Plat: 75k MR points [$1125 ish value], $200 airline credit (2X use) [$400 value], $200 GE credits (one additional GE credit for free Gold A/U) [$200 value]. $550 fee, $5k min spend. $45 fee to transfer the bonus points.
Call this a net of +$1130 after the fees.
Upsides: potentially quite a high value! We will get 2 GE credits, which we will use for Precheck on several flights starting in Dec 2017.
Downsides: airline credit might be tougher to utilize, but see below for my tentative plan to utilize this.

Airline credit plan:
For 2017, right when I get the card, designate Delta as our preferred airline. Buy 4X $50 Delta gift cards. Per lots of data points on Flyer Talk Forums...this should trigger the $200 credit. Then, when I book our flights to HI, book using the miles+cash option. These flights are 35k miles+$150 for DTW to LIH, and from OGG to DTW in Comfort Plus. (Note: We also have 2X $50 Delta e-gift cards currently, so we'll have 6X $50 cards for a total of $300). Basically then, our flights *should* cost us 142k Delta miles plus $300 in cash, which will be covered by burning up these e-gift cards.

For 2018, designate Delta again as our preferred airline. Pay $100 for checked bags round trip for HI, which will be reimbursed from the credit. Either burn the last $100 on 2X $50 gift cards and end up back where we started, or burn it up with a drink or 2 and a lounge pass for the HI trip. Lounge access for Delta is $29 per guest as I understand it, and we will almost certainly have a layover at SEA or LAX on our way to/from HI. Since I will have a free Gold A/U rather than another Plat user, I will have to pay the fee to get my spouse in. The fee should trigger a credit.

I was planning on keeping DL Gold Amex for priority boarding and free bags for these flights ($100 cost vs $95 annual fee for year 2). Instead, cancel this card and "save" the $95. Bags will be covered by credit for 2018, and the C+ seats come with priority boarding (should we even decide to use it having no items for the overhead bin).

Based on all of the above...I'm leaning towards the Amex Plat despite the higher fee and the more-difficult-to-use airline credit (vs travel credit on the CSR). Any faulty logic or things I'm missing here!

Thanks fellow travel hackers!!
[/quote]

I think it looks good. Also with the CSR you will get 3x UR on dining so if you spend lots of money on dining that might change the math a little. You also get trip delay insurance with the CSR that you don't get with the Plat and rental insurance doesn't come with an added fee like it does on the Plat.

I would keep the Delta AMEX if you are going to have any other flights on Delta for sure.

Try to route through SEA because there is a Centurion Lounge there, but not sure how easy it is to access.

I would check on how many payment options you can use on Delta, because on Southwest you can only use 3 so only 2 gift cards and a CC. Also I would buy the gift cards not all at once. Buy the first one and wait until you get the reimbursement, then buy the next and so on until you buy 4.
[/quote]

Thanks!

We have (and will keep long term) a CSP already...so we get 2X on travel/dining and primary rental coverage. I've done the math and the jump to 3X for the CSR is not good for us long term. The higher AF plus the fee for an A/U (so we can transfer UR points to each others loyalty accounts - DW collects Hyatt and United, I collect Delta and Southwest) make the extra 1% in earning not worth the extra fee, even after the travel credit. If the A/U was free then we'd be talking...but alas...the extra $75 fee makes it meh.

I *eventually* will end up keeping a Delta (probably Gold) Amex long term as we live near a Delta hub (DTW)...but I haven't gotten the personal Delta Plat or Gold Amex yet, just the business, so I'm not sure it'll be worth paying the fee right now seeing as we probably won't have any other Delta flights in 2018...HI will be a long trip! By the time we plan our next vacation on Delta I'll have one of the personal cards for the miles and perks.

Delta is our preferred airline for anything that's not our annual (or semi-annual) DTW to DAL trip to visit my in-laws. We book these solely with SW miles because DAL is a SW hub and there are ridiculously cheap nonstop flights daily which works perfect for us since we rarely travel during peak times and always have flexible dates for these trips.
[/quote]

Just pulled the trigger on this Amex Platinum card last night.

Thanks to the tip from this forum, I got a free authorized user Gold card for Mr. Guitarguy too so we can both get GE (mainly will be used for Precheck but I see no reason to just get Precheck since GE includes it...right??) credits.

Thanks to another tip here, went to a private browser and nabbed a 75k MR point bonus offer for $5k spend as opposed to the standard 60k. This and GE are the biggest reason I'm getting the card...going to have extra padding on Delta miles for our Hawaii trip should we need them!

Also may book C+ seats (depending on the cost difference). I'd like to maybe just nab an exit row seat and pay the extra charge (getting it reimbursed via the airline credit)...but...aren't the preferred exit row seats reserved for status people? So they won't open up to us until we check in...therefore making it pretty unlikely that we'll get one. The safer route to go would be booking C+ probably. I've also read mixed things that the airline credit works for upgrades...but are award tickets even upgradable? Can we book an award flight and then use miles+cash to upgrade to C+?

As much as I've learned about travel hacking...some of it is still so confusing! Particularly getting the most out of this airline credit. Based on FT forums I could get 4 X $50 gift cards...but they seem awfully difficult to redeem! :shock:

Another question: The $100 hotel amenity credit per stay at these Amex Luxury hotels. Do you have to book the stay through Amex travel portal or whatever to get this credit? The Grand Hyatt Kauai is on this list, however I'm not sure we'll be booking through the Amex travel portal since the bride/groom are getting a group rate...we may have to contact the hotel directly. Anyone have any knowledge on this?
[/quote]

Unless you never plan on international travel, GE is the way to go. It comes with PreCheck and the GE benefit is amazing. PreCheck tends to be quicker to get and the qualifications aren't as stringent.

I would probably go the gift card route, just make sure you designate your airline and wait about four days. If you don't, it won't work. If you fly a lot, it's not hard to redeem.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:52 am

BOA denied me their new card. I only have ever had 1 BOA card. "Too many accounts overall" was their answer. Barclays also denied me a new Arrival + and Aviator Red last week.

Time to go into hibernation...reemerge in a year and start at it again.

SVT

Post by SVT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:20 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:52 am
BOA denied me their new card. I only have ever had 1 BOA card. "Too many accounts overall" was their answer. Barclays also denied me a new Arrival + and Aviator Red last week.

How many new cards in last 24 months? How many new cards in last 12 months?

sco

Post by sco » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:26 am

Markr867 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:46 am
sco wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 pm
Markr867 wrote:

Or is it 90 days?

Chase unofficially gives you ~115 days to meet the spend to account for card shipping times, etc.
NOLA wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 pm
Markr867 wrote:
We have it in writing that we have until 1/11, so I will not hesitate to reach out to the CFPB if needed if they try and pull anything.

Thanks

I did the same as you a few days ago, and want to renew my companion pass in 2018 if at all possible.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 am

SVT wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:20 am
Jags4186 wrote:

24/24, 8/12

hale2

Post by hale2 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:54 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

Define "just" because this rule became effective pretty recently, but there are some data points like yours suggesting it isn't a hard and fast rule.

3 weeks ago. I applied for and was also approved for the Travel Rewards Card the same day.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:53 am
SVT wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

24/24, 8/12
24 cards in 24 months? :shock:

I'm an amateur..
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:08 pm

2pedals wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:59 pm
An World Elite MasterCard would provide a complimentary upgrade at National or Avis rental cars. Has anybody used the an World Elite MasterCard for the rental car status upgrade for National or Avis? Does anybody have any experience with status upgrades at National (executive) and Avis (Preferred)? Is this a nice perk to have?
I used my CSR to get executive status at National. Would've eventually got there anyways thru rentals but it was nice to get it immediately. I like driving premium SUV's (Explorer) at the midsize rate so it's a great perk to me.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:27 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:08 pm
2pedals wrote:
An World Elite MasterCard would provide a complimentary upgrade at National or Avis rental cars. Has anybody used the an World Elite MasterCard for the rental car status upgrade for National or Avis? Does anybody have any experience with status upgrades at National (executive) and Avis (Preferred)? Is this a nice perk to have?
I used my CSR to get executive status at National. Would've eventually got there anyways thru rentals but it was nice to get it immediately. I like driving premium SUV's (Explorer) at the midsize rate so it's a great perk to me.
We were startled once after being upgraded to a rather big premium SUV that the insurance we were using (DH's work, through his corporate card), to find out that the size of that vehicle was NOT covered :shock:
All went well, thank goodness, but... "we won't do that again!"

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:02 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:56 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
SVT wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

24/24, 8/12

I'm an amateur..
Right! I don't know how you'd meet the minimum spends for all those...unless maybe a business has huge overhead or there's some MS going on.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:01 pm

BW1985 wrote:
2pedals wrote:
Is there a trick to getting cheaper prices with National? Every time I look, they are, I kid you not, double their competitors. I thought having the National status with the CSR was going to be so great until I looked and saw how expensive they were.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:16 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:02 pm
BW1985 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:56 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
SVT wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

24/24, 8/12

I'm an amateur..
Right! I don't know how you'd meet the minimum spends for all those...unless maybe a business has huge overhead or there's some MS going on.
MS and reimbursable business expenses.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:01 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:01 pm
BW1985 wrote:
2pedals wrote:
Is there a trick to getting cheaper prices with National? Every time I look, they are, I kid you not, double their competitors. I thought having the National status with the CSR was going to be so great until I looked and saw how expensive they were.
I have a corporate contract through work so the rate is something like $35/day. Sorry not much help.

The other benefit with Executive is that you earn free days faster.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:12 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:27 pm
BW1985 wrote:
2pedals wrote:
We were startled once after being upgraded to a rather big premium SUV that the insurance we were using (DH's work, through his corporate card), to find out that the size of that vehicle was NOT covered :shock:
All went well, thank goodness, but... "we won't do that again!"

RM
Sounds like that would be his work's problem and not yours though. If their insurance only covered certain cars they should've put it in their contract to only allow National to rent those sizes to their employees. Its common knowledge that car companies will regularly give free upgrades so they should ensure proper coverage.

MarcVH

Post by MarcVH » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 am

drk wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:19 am
It looks like the Bank of America Premium Rewards card went live today (DoC link). The card is a great daily-driver for anyone with BoA Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors status (or those looking to take advantage of a Merrill Edge transfer bonus).
Yup, and anyone looking to enhance or replace their existing Travel Rewards card may want to re-check rewards redemption. BofA appears to have broadened their definition of a travel expense to include things like parking, so I was able to redeem against a bunch of charges that previously didn't show up as available.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:19 pm

Well, my strategy now is not much. I froze mine and my wife's credit, as so many here, at the big 5 credit reporting agencies. I figured maybe it was time to take a break anyway. Of course I've said that before and this will actually be the first time I've done it. I did upgrade my current AMEX Blue cash everyday card to the preferred card. This was to get the 6% on groceries and 3% on gas. I just looked and saw they upped the sign up offer to $200. I'm guessing since I upgraded and didn't apply I won't get it.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

camillus

Post by camillus » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:57 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:19 pm
Well, my strategy now is not much. I froze mine and my wife's credit, as so many here, at the big 5 credit reporting agencies. I figured maybe it was time to take a break anyway. Of course I've said that before and this will actually be the first time I've done it. I did upgrade my current AMEX Blue cash everyday card to the preferred card. This was to get the 6% on groceries and 3% on gas. I just looked and saw they upped the sign up offer to $200. I'm guessing since I upgraded and didn't apply I won't get it.
I was just about to post this very thing. I'm wondering how many others who play the cc game are taking a seat and freezing their credit. I suppose it's a inclination of mine that the increased likelihood and potential downside of identity theft outweighs the upside of signup chasing.

rabbitrun

Post by rabbitrun » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:11 pm

CSR- daily card. can't beat it for mileage accumulation. got the 100k signup bonus last year and found business award savers to europe this summer on United for 56k each leg. Regular price for the ticket was around $8k. I love that the yearly travel bonus is automatic.

Amex Platinum- Centurion access is a key perk for me. Many different strategies for the $200 airline specific credit. Came with the 40k bonus which I haven't used. We also use Uber quite a bit so that perk is nice. (If you are an uber user don't forget to turn on Visa local awards in the app!)

Amex SPG- daily card for DW. We like the Starwood properties including the new Design hotels.

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:48 pm

rabbitrun wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:11 pm
CSR- daily card. can't beat it for mileage accumulation. got the 100k signup bonus last year and found business award savers to europe this summer on United for 56k each leg. Regular price for the ticket was around $8k. I love that the yearly travel bonus is automatic.

Amex Platinum- Centurion access is a key perk for me. Many different strategies for the $200 airline specific credit. Came with the 40k bonus which I haven't used. We also use Uber quite a bit so that perk is nice. (If you are an uber user don't forget to turn on Visa local awards in the app!)

Amex SPG- daily card for DW. We like the Starwood properties including the new Design hotels.
Wow, thats a lot of annual fee to swallow. Even after all of the credits you're looking at $395 out of pocket each year - even more if you don't use Uber every single month. Assuming an average value of 3% cash value on spend you'd have to put $40k of spending each year on your cards just to break even with a no AF 2% card.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Can't complain. Less than a year of points on my Visa, which I pay off every month, paid for 16 days of premium rental car on the big island of Hawaii. This includes all taxes and fees. Loving it. The card has no annual fee.

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:09 pm

I currently use a Capital One card that gets 1.5% on all purchases, along with a Discover It and Chase Freedom for revolving quarterly rewards. We are a family of four, shop at Costco and Target mostly. Biggest expenses are a yearly vacation (usually to Disneyland).

I was considering a new card with a large bonus. I noticed Capital One is offering the Venture card which gives $400 in travel reward points if I spend $3k in the first 3 months. There is a fee but I was considering canceling it before they charge me (1 year away). Do you guys think this would be a good card for me?

drk

Post by drk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:34 pm

chrischris wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:09 pm
I currently use a Capital One card that gets 1.5% on all purchases, along with a Discover It and Chase Freedom for revolving quarterly rewards. We are a family of four, shop at Costco and Target mostly. Biggest expenses are a yearly vacation (usually to Disneyland).

I was considering a new card with a large bonus. I noticed Capital One is offering the Venture card which gives $400 in travel reward points if I spend $3k in the first 3 months. There is a fee but I was considering canceling it before they charge me (1 year away). Do you guys think this would be a good card for me?
There are several cards I would get before getting that one. For starters, look into the Chase Sapphire Preferred: 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points ($625 when used to book travel in the UR portal) after $4k spend, waived AF the first year, and the ability to transfer points 1:1 to a number of rewards programs. Other good options are in this flowchart in the credit card churning sub-reddit (it's a good catch-all "what card should I get?" guide even if you don't want to churn).

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:09 pm

There are several cards I would get before getting that one. For starters, look into the Chase Sapphire Preferred: 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points ($625 when used to book travel in the UR portal) after $4k spend, waived AF the first year, and the ability to transfer points 1:1 to a number of rewards programs. Other good options are in this flowchart in the credit card churning sub-reddit (it's a good catch-all "what card should I get?" guide even if you don't want to churn).
Thanks! It actually looks like the Chase Sapphire Preferred would be better for me.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:15 pm

chrischris wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks! It actually looks like the Chase Sapphire Preferred would be better for me.
No problem. It also pairs well with a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited: they both earn UR points that you can freely transfer to the Sapphire Preferred.

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:01 pm

drk wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:15 pm
No problem. It also pairs well with a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited: they both earn UR points that you can freely transfer to the Sapphire Preferred.
I applied for the card but received a response saying I would see a notice in the mail in 30 days??? My Fico is 820+ and I haven't applied for a CC in a while... Not sure what gives??

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:05 pm

drk wrote:
chrischris wrote:
I don't understand the "pairs well" part. What's the point of keeping the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited, if you have a CSP? Wouldn't you just transfer the UR points to the CSP, anyway? What is the benefit of the other two?

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:17 pm

spammagnet wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:05 pm
drk wrote:
chrischris wrote:
I don't understand the "pairs well" part. What's the point of keeping the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited, if you have a CSP? Wouldn't you just transfer the UR points to the CSP, anyway? What is the benefit of the other two?
More points/$ spent. Especially with the rotating 5% categories on the Freedom card.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:45 pm

chrischris wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:01 pm
drk wrote:
I applied for the card but received a response saying I would see a notice in the mail in 30 days??? My Fico is 820+ and I haven't applied for a CC in a while... Not sure what gives??
Interesting. Given your credit score, they probably need identity verification. The number on this page lets you check your application status: https://www.chase.com/credit-cards/customer-service (not using the URL tag so as not to encourage trusting links to financial sites).

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:47 pm

chrischris wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:09 pm
I noticed Capital One is offering the Venture card which gives $400 in travel reward points if I spend $3k in the first 3 months. There is a fee but I was considering canceling it before they charge me (1 year away). Do you guys think this would be a good card for me?
This is fine to get the bonus but I think it's worthless long-term. It's 2 "miles" per dollar which only equals 2% if used towards travel. Other cards can get 2% on everything with no annual fee. As already said there are better bonuses available. This one might be simple since you already have a capital one account.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:53 pm

spammagnet wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:05 pm
drk wrote:
chrischris wrote:
DoomAndGloom has it right. CSP gets 2% only on dining and travel. CF complements that with 5% on rotating categories and CFU does with 1.5% on everything not covered by the other two. For no additional annual fee, you get a lot more bonus rewards on your spending that are valuable when redeemed for travel.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:03 pm

drk wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:53 pm
DoomAndGloom has it right. CSP gets 2% only on dining and travel. CF complements that with 5% on rotating categories and CFU does with 1.5% on everything not covered by the other two. For no additional annual fee, you get a lot more bonus rewards on your spending that are valuable when redeemed for travel.
OK. That all makes sense but requires micromanagement of which card you use for a particular expense. I'm micromanaging a bit now because I just started churning to get some big Chase signup bonuses. But, once I pass the required spending levels to get the major bonuses I'll probably slack off, pick the one that's best on average, and not worry about it. Obviously, that's a personal choice that others might not make.

chrischris

Post by chrischris » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:51 am

drk wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:45 pm
chrischris wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:01 pm
drk wrote:
Interesting. Given your credit score, they probably need identity verification. The number on this page lets you check your application status: https://www.chase.com/credit-cards/customer-service (not using the URL tag so as not to encourage trusting links to financial sites).
I called and the automated voice said I would be notified in writing within two weeks. Odd.

Updated: I called the standard number and was told the application is processing. I did some research and learned there is something called a "recon" phone number 888-270-2127. This is the reconsideration department for people to speak with someone about being reconsidered for a denied application. I called the number and was instantly connected to a human. After verifying some information, I was told my application needed to be verified with another department. The woman placed me on hold and connected me with another woman who sounded like she was in India.

I was told I needed to verify some information. She asked me some basic questions before telling me I was approved and would receive the court in a couple weeks. I requested the card sooner and she told me it would arrive quicker via UPS. I never received an email, but the Sapphire Preferred card is now showing up in my account portal.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:58 pm

Wife and I just applied for the Capital One Spark Cash (business) card. I am something like 24/24 and she is 16/24. Both denied, waiting for the letter explaining why, but it has to be too many inquires. We are 800+ FICO.

Anyone else having trouble getting this card? I am nervous that all companies are really tightening down. Barclay and now Bank of America being the newest.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:18 pm

giesen5 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:58 pm
Wife and I just applied for the Capital One Spark Cash (business) card. I am something like 24/24 and she is 16/24. Both denied, waiting for the letter explaining why, but it has to be too many inquires. We are 800+ FICO.

Anyone else having trouble getting this card? I am nervous that all companies are really tightening down. Barclay and now Bank of America being the newest.
There's a reason why churners dislike Capital One aside from then pulling all three credit bureaus. They always looked at inquiries and were more sensitive than most. You are probably right in regards to the denial reason. Barclays has always been ridiculous with inquiries, which was why you had to cancel the A+ before getting a new one. BOA is a real tragedy, though.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:24 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:18 pm
giesen5 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:58 pm

There's a reason why churners dislike Capital One aside from then pulling all three credit bureaus. They always looked at inquiries and were more sensitive than most. You are probably right in regards to the denial reason. Barclays has always been ridiculous with inquiries, which was why you had to cancel the A+ before getting a new one. BOA is a real tragedy, though.
Yeah, I felt the pull to apply, but after being denied I realized it was a stupid waste of time, especially the three pulls. Should have been smarter. was recently turned down by Barclay even though my previous A+ card had been closed for awhile, I was on the leading edge of their crackdown.

I had never been turned down for a card until the A+ and now the Cap One. Feeling fragile and gun shy......