What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
rjbraun

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by rjbraun » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:29 pm

ChiefIlliniwek wrote:
FB01 wrote:
SVT wrote:
jriding wrote:I just had an interesting experience with the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal.

I needed to book a specific hotel for specific days in October. Booking through the Sheraton website offered a pre-paid, nonrefundable standard room rate of $164/night, or a refundable standard room rate for $184/night.

I decided to check the UR portal to see what was offered. To my surprise, I was able to book a refundable upgraded room for $154/night without using any points (I didn't have any points to spend).

I'd never thought of the UR travel portal as useful if I didn't have points to spend. But in this case the cash deal UR offered was better than booking directly though the hotel.
Hmm, very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I'll keep that in mind.

Did you check the price of the same hotel in other websites like trivago.com, hotels.com, priceline.com..price is always higher when you book directly from the hotel's website..i think if you check other websites, you should see the same price of $154....
The price isn't always higher on the hotel's website. It is most of the time but that is why you check everywhere to ensure you are getting the right price. Also when you don't book with the hotel you lose out on points from the chain, nights for status, and most of the time any perks from hotel status you have. Sometimes the free breakfast will make up for the discount you get by going through another website.
In my limited experience, I always seem to have trouble comparing "apples to apples". Namely, a hotel website could label the room "Grand Deluxe King" and a 3rd-party site could call a room "Grand King - Deluxe" or maybe something like "Deluxe Grand King - city view". If I like what the hotel shows for the Grande Deluxe King room, I don't feel confident that I will necessarily get the same room by booking through the 3rd-party site. On a couple of occasions I called the CSR travel line for assistance, but the rep couldn't really help much.

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:01 pm

Bfwolf wrote:
Pranav wrote:All,

We are planning for a trip to Hawaii (probably the Big Island) in late-September or early-October

With Chase, we have a Sapphire Reserve and 36,000 Ultimate Rewards points.

With AmEx, we have Premeir Rewards Gold, Green Card, and 79,000 Membership Rewards Points.

How shall we redeem old rewards and/or acquire new rewards as we book flights, hotel, transportation, etc.?

Thanks.
You are really too late to be talking about acquiring new cards for a trip that's in 2 months.

It is possible for 2 people to fly roundtrip to Hawaii with 79K Amex points. Even more options if you get to 80K Amex points. But you've got to find availability. See this link for options: https://millionmilesecrets.com/2017/01/ ... i-flights/

You can get 1.5 cents per point in travel value from your URs with the CSR. Maybe you can use that to cover one or two of your hotel nights.
Bfworlf,

Thanks for the suggestions and link. I realize I am late, but I thought I should seek Bogleheads suggestions on how I should use my existing points and also ask which new card I should get as I will have some large expenses in the near future.
Pranav

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:46 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:For my Hawaiian vacation, I was flexible with my travel dates and found an itinerary that only cost 45k United miles round-trip. That would have been $875 if booked as cash, but I got it for 45k points/miles, which was about 1.9 cents per point.
I've got another data point for a similar itinerary. We booked tickets to Hawaii on United just this morning at a rate of 45k United Miles round trip per person. The flights were not available to me at that rate but were to my wife since she holds a Chase United Mileage Plus Card. It would have cost me 90k miles per person instead. My wife had 60k United Miles already so we transferred the remaining points needed from Ultimate Rewards onto her United account. The trip is about a year away so we're booking as early as possible. For us, the cash price would have been $696 for a round trip ticket between San Francisco and Maui. The value comes out to about 1.55 cents per point.

hale2

Post by hale2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:21 pm

If you fly to Hawaii from the west coast, you should consider getting the British Airways card. It's a chase card but isn't under 5/24. British Airways bases the required number of miles on distance. You can travel one way to HI from the west coast for 12.5k miles (25k round trip), on either Alaska or AA airlines. The other airlines base the miles on the fact you are flying from Conus so it's 45k miles whether you fly to HI from NY or SF.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:32 pm

hale2 wrote:If you fly to Hawaii from the west coast, you should consider getting the British Airways card. It's a chase card but isn't under 5/24. British Airways bases the required number of miles on distance. You can travel one way to HI from the west coast for 12.5k miles (25k round trip), on either Alaska or AA airlines. The other airlines base the miles on the fact you are flying from Conus so it's 45k miles whether you fly to HI from NY or SF.
Thanks for this helpful tip! I'm going to look into it. We go to Hawaii from the west coast every other year.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:25 am

ResearchMed wrote:
ChiefIlliniwek wrote:
FB01 wrote:
SVT wrote:...
Did you check the price of the same hotel in other websites like trivago.com, hotels.com, priceline.com..price is always higher when you book directly from the hotel's website..i think if you check other websites, you should see the same price of $154....
The price isn't always higher on the hotel's website. It is most of the time but that is why you check everywhere to ensure you are getting the right price. Also when you don't book with the hotel you lose out on points from the chain, nights for status, and most of the time any perks from hotel status you have. Sometimes the free breakfast will make up for the discount you get by going through another website.
Some hotels will match a lower price from the Internet IF they can verify it (that is, if they can "see" it, too, on the same website).
And some will do that, plus deduct another 10%.

Mostly, however, I'm noticing that the various sites are seeming to quote the same price surprisingly often, or just $1-2 difference.
There don't seem to be as many "bargains" on the Internet hotel search websites as there were not too long ago.

RM
We travel (vacation) a lot now that DW and I are retired. We stay at higher-end resorts and in my experience resort web site rates are generally the same as I can find on travel web sites. I also have often seen the price match guarantee too.

Personally, I'd rather book directly from the resort website. This increases my confidence that there won't be any issues when I arrive to check-in. I have seen too many posts in travel forums of folks not getting the room they thought they were signing up for using a travel web site. I'm not saying it happens often, but it happens. I have never had the experience booking through the resort/hotel website.

We did vacation at the Ritz in Kapalua (Maui) several years ago. Used AAA travel to book that trip. Ritz/Marriott did not count points for that stay because we used a discount travel site for the reservation. Also, had an issue with the room (was supposed to be ocean view, but was perhaps the furthest room in the resort from the ocean). They moved us mid-stay, but I can't help but think we were assigned that room because we booked through discount travel site. I won't do that again.

One persons experience FWIW.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:44 pm

giesen5 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
giesen5 wrote:Date point: Just got another Barclay Arrival Plus card to use for Italy trip. Canceled my first BC A+ on 2/25/17 after having it for 9 months. I was not sure I was going to be approved after only having it closed for 3+ months. Have opened 14 cards in 15 months.
But will Barclays award you the signup bonus, assuming you meet the minimum spend?
Oh yes they will!

Edit: It is a well known churnable card.
How long do you have to wait before you can reapply and get the signup bonus again?
I closed and reopened in a bit more than three months, am pretty sure I will get the bonus, but only will know for sure in a few months when I am finished with the minimum spend.
Checking back in. Did receive the Barclay A+ bonus again after minimum spend.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:02 pm

giesen5 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
rjbraun wrote: But will Barclays award you the signup bonus, assuming you meet the minimum spend?
Oh yes they will!

How long do you have to wait before you can reapply and get the signup bonus again?
I closed and reopened in a bit more than three months, am pretty sure I will get the bonus, but only will know for sure in a few months when I am finished with the minimum spend.
So the interval between closing and reopening was six months?
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:52 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
Oh yes they will!

Only 3+ months. Closed 2/25 and opened new account on 6/3.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:51 pm

giesen5 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Wow. That sounds incredible. My card is still open because I haven't used my rewards yet, and we'll then have my wife take out a card in her name. By the time hers is done, I should be able to reopen mine. That could be an extremely easy and rewarding CC churn strategy.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
Wow. That sounds incredible. My card is still open because I haven't used my rewards yet, and we'll then have my wife take out a card in her name. By the time hers is done, I should be able to reopen mine. That could be an extremely easy and rewarding CC churn strategy.
I had read to wait for 6+ months but I decided to give it a shot anyway. We were heading to Italy and I wanted to charge on that card so that I could use the rewards right away. I wasn't sure if they would give me the 50,000 points, but they did. So, as usual, it is YMMV.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 am

giesen5 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
That's good to know. After reading this thread, I applied for the Barclay Arrival card for a second time. It's been more than a year since I closed the original card. I was a little worried when my application went to pending vs instantly approved. However, I got an approval e-mail a few days later. I'm eagerly awaiting the card arrival because I have specific flights in mind for this card.

I do wonder - can I book the flights I want as part of my minimum spend then immediately use the points to credit against them once the statement posts?

-Steph

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:01 pm

Anyone else notice the Hyatt card changed? It used to be 2 free nights at any property worldwide now it's just 40K points.. :confused
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:07 pm

delete
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:24 pm

BW1985 wrote:Anyone else notice the Hyatt card changed? It used to be 2 free nights at any property worldwide now it's just 40K points.. :confused
Yes. I got the card for the 2 free nights thinking I will use it a fancy hotel. With the 40k points, perhaps I will book a cheaper hotel and have more nights instead. Not bad.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/hyatt- ... s-june-29/

StellaRose

Post by StellaRose » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:35 pm

I have a combination of both travel and cash-back cards. I have the Double Cash, but have been using the Chase family of cards to earn UR points. At this point, I'm pretty much earn-and-burn, at least with travel points (There are some rumors that Chase is about to devalue points when combining Freedoms with Sapphires). We just booked flights to Honduras next summer using the sign-up bonuses. It's an origin open jaw, soI'm still debating my next move. Southwest points would be nice, but I'll be outside of Chase's 5/24 rule until January. I'll probably just wait and see what kind of sales SW has in October. I've got ~6k UR points left so on a good sale that might get at least one of us to Houston.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:08 pm

SRenaeP wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:
That's good to know. After reading this thread, I applied for the Barclay Arrival card for a second time. It's been more than a year since I closed the original card. I was a little worried when my application went to pending vs instantly approved. However, I got an approval e-mail a few days later. I'm eagerly awaiting the card arrival because I have specific flights in mind for this card.

I do wonder - can I book the flights I want as part of my minimum spend then immediately use the points to credit against them once the statement posts?

-Steph
Hi Steph. I think you can, I just waited until the second statement to apply the travel credits.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:10 am

Can anyone explain the Amex Platinum card to me?

$550 AF - yikes
60k MR points for $5k spend in 90 days - decent
$100 credit for global entry or precheck - decent
$200 airline credit for incidentals on only 1 airline - weak sauce compared to CSR
5X MR points on flights booked directly with airlines - OK I guess if you pay for a lot of flights
Lounge access - meh - OK I guess if you spend a lot of time sitting around in airports
$15/m in Uber rides - OK if you use Uber a lot I guess
Some fine dining and hotel stuff...whatever that is

Anyone like this card?

We're traveling in Dec and then to HI in Sep 2018 (to, from, plus an island hop) for sure...plus probably another flight mixed in there somewhere. Right now I'm eyeing cards that offer the GE or precheck credit because I'd like to nab that for all these flights coming up, and not eligible for the CSR until 6/1/18...figuring that might be cutting it too close to get our GE precheck for a Sep 10 trip to HI.

Not too many good offers out there right now!

student

Post by student » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:31 am

guitarguy wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:10 am

$550 AF - yikes
$200 airline credit for incidentals on only 1 airline - weak sauce compared to CSR
5X MR points on flights booked directly with airlines - OK I guess if you pay for a lot of flights
Lounge access - meh - OK I guess if you spend a lot of time sitting around in airports

Anyone like this card?

We're traveling in Dec and then to HI in Sep 2018 (to, from, plus an island hop) for sure...plus probably another flight mixed in there somewhere. Right now I'm eyeing cards that offer the GE or precheck credit because I'd like to nab that for all these flights coming up, and not eligible for the CSR until 6/1/18...figuring that might be cutting it too close to get our GE precheck for a Sep 10 trip to HI.

If you are unable to apply for CSR now, you can try US Bank Altitude Reserve, it is similar. http://mycard.usbank.com/credit/teamsit ... serve.html

ChiefIlliniwek

Post by ChiefIlliniwek » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:35 am

guitarguy wrote:

$550 AF - yikes

Anyone like this card?

If you fly into or out of one of the airports that have a Centurion lounge or fly Delta a lot the card is awesome. You get access to Delta lounges when flying Delta with this card. We have flown in and out of LGA a few times this year and went the Centurion lounge there for breakfast and lunch which saved us $20-$30 per trip. Also remember that in the first year you can get the $200 airline credit twice and buying airline gift cards typically will trigger the credit, it doesn't work for Alaska but does in certain quantities for most airlines. You also get early access to tickets. We were able to buy 8 Hamilton tickets and sold 4 which paid for the tickets we used and our dinner for the night. This all doesn't even take into account the bonus points. It is a great card to keep long term for some, but for the first year it makes a lot of sense for nearly everyone.

If you don't want to pay the $550 AF you can always get the Ameriprise Amex Plat which doesn't have a MR bonus but it doesn't have an AF during the first year. You also get free authorized users and I believe that the AUs also get a credit the Global Entry. This might be your best bet, especially if you can get 2 GE credits.

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:03 am

Most would recommend applying for the 100k Amex Plat offer rather than the 60k offer, but that offer can be hard to get.

One other interesting thing you can do - add authorized gold card users at no cost (up to 99 users) - the gold card users can all get a GE/Precheck reimbursement. So its a great way to get the whole family through security faster. Unless of course your family consists of more than 99 people :D

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:22 am

I thought American Platinum has high fee. Something like $450 or $550 per year.
I stay away from such high fee cards. I'm cheap. Only freebie cards.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:32 am

sharpjm wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:03 am
Most would recommend applying for the 100k Amex Plat offer rather than the 60k offer, but that offer can be hard to get.

One other interesting thing you can do - add authorized gold card users at no cost (up to 99 users) - the gold card users can all get a GE/Precheck reimbursement. So its a great way to get the whole family through security faster. Unless of course your family consists of more than 99 people :D
I don't see the GE / Precheck reimbursement anywhere associated with the Gold card. :confused

If it was, I would jump on this card immediately.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:38 am

guitarguy wrote:

If you have friends or family with travel CCs that offer GE reimbursement, see if someone will cover the cost for you. DH and I already had GE and weren't due to renew anytime so I gave my GE credit to my brother.

-Steph

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:44 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:22 am
I think fees are just fine if you do a "total return" analysis. The best sign up rewards come with high fee cards. Sometimes the fee is suspended for the first year, sometimes not. You can get the reward and cancel before paying the second fee and do very well. But of course you have to keep track of things, make minimum spends on things you'd have spent on anyway, etc, and decide of that is worth the hassle.

If deciding to keep a high fee card, you need to of course know that it is worth it to you. I have 3 fee cards right now, Chase Sapphire Reserve (net $150 fee after travel allowance I'll always use), Chase Southwest Plus Rapid Rewards ($69), and a new Citi Prestige card (net $200 fee after travel allowance I'll always use). Of those, I''m only keeping Chase Sapphire Reserve after first year. CSR comes with lots of side benefits making it worth $150 to me. The others are giving me a nice one-time "profit" at the credit card companies expense. e.g. the Citi Prestige came with 75000 points. I will use the $250 travel credit twice before cancelling. I will get global entry for my son ($100 value), as I have it myself already. And I may use the "4th night" free at a hotel, not clear yet. So even valuing points at 1c I'm ending with a "profit" of at least $800 on the Citi card. The work involved for Citi was an online application. Meeting the spend is easy for me (prepay insurance, some medical out of pocket bills, few other things that were due anyway). Just need to remember to cancel/downgrade the card when the time comes.

I also have a "fee" credit card for Costco ($60 kind of, need Costco membership), but since I'd be a member anyway I consider that card to be free.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:46 am

sharpjm wrote:
I got an invitation to apply for the Amex Business Platinum Card. I can't really grasp how attractive the card would be, though on the face of things it looks good: 100k with $5,000 min spend in first 3 months and an extra 50k with $10,000 min spend in that same period. $450 AF

Appreciate input on how the Amex Business Platinum compares to the Amex Platinum. I am only starting to grasp what the personal card offers, based on reading BH posts. From what I gather, they seem comparable but the Business comes with a larger sign-up bonus for a comparable (I think) AF. But, maybe that's too simple.

Also, while I got a Chase Ink business card earlier (and also have a Cap One Spark business card), I haven't really done much with my personal business, so I would think that could be a limitation in getting an Amex business card.

SVT

Post by SVT » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:53 am

rjbraun wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:46 am
sharpjm wrote:
I got an invitation to apply for the Amex Business Platinum Card. I can't really grasp how attractive the card would be, though on the face of things it looks good: 100k with $5,000 min spend in first 3 months and an extra 50k with $10,000 min spend in that same period. $450 AF

Appreciate input on how the Amex Business Platinum compares to the Amex Platinum. I am only starting to grasp what the personal card offers, based on reading BH posts. From what I gather, they seem comparable but the Business comes with a larger sign-up bonus for a comparable (I think) AF. But, maybe that's too simple.

Also, while I got a Chase Ink business card earlier (and also have a Cap One Spark business card), I haven't really done much with my personal business, so I would think that could be a limitation in getting an Amex business card.
:shock: Yes, jump on it! That's the highest offer available and hard to get from what I've read.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:24 pm

SVT wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:53 am
rjbraun wrote:
sharpjm wrote:

:shock: Yes, jump on it! That's the highest offer available and hard to get from what I've read.
Thanks. How does Amex screen for business cards? As mentioned, at this point my "business" is, basically, dormant.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Goal.

Me = maximize simplicity and security

Wife = maximize rewards

Cards.

Me = Citi Double Cash for everything non-amazon
Amazon Prime card for everything amazon

Wife = (after I forced her to cull down from the 15 cards she used to carry)
Amex bcp for groceries
Chase freedom depending on quarterly categories
Chase sapphire reserve for travel and dining

Rewards.

Me = redeem Citi cash every month. Amazon Prime card automatically creates a statement redemption

Wife = I have to remind her to claim the 6% cash back for amex. She will typically get lazy and not play the points game, opting to redeem UR points for 1.5 cents each on the travel portal

Final Thoughs. Much like the boglehead investment strategy, I believe in simplicity especially when we have a high annual income and high net worth. My wife likes to play the game and I never interfered until we started getting fraudulent charges on the less commonly used cards (we really were carrying 15+ cards at one point)

I've managed to get her to narrow down to her favorite card which is the chase sapphire reserve + freedom combo. We do plan on axing the Amex bcp soon as my wife has a bad habit of purchasing gift cards from grocery stores and then promptly losing them.

My ultimate goal (though it makes no financial sense and we are unlikely to ever spend that much money anyway) is to funnel all our spending on an Amex platinum card. We plan on holding the zero annual fee Citi Double Cash card (mastercard) and chase freedom (Visa) as backups. With enough spending, I have a pipe dream that we will qualify for a centurion card but at < $75000 of annual credit card spend, it's just a dream ☺️

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:39 pm

ChiefIlliniwek wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:35 am
guitarguy wrote:

$550 AF - yikes

Anyone like this card?

If you fly into or out of one of the airports that have a Centurion lounge or fly Delta a lot the card is awesome. You get access to Delta lounges when flying Delta with this card. We have flown in and out of LGA a few times this year and went the Centurion lounge there for breakfast and lunch which saved us $20-$30 per trip. Also remember that in the first year you can get the $200 airline credit twice and buying airline gift cards typically will trigger the credit, it doesn't work for Alaska but does in certain quantities for most airlines. You also get early access to tickets. We were able to buy 8 Hamilton tickets and sold 4 which paid for the tickets we used and our dinner for the night. This all doesn't even take into account the bonus points. It is a great card to keep long term for some, but for the first year it makes a lot of sense for nearly everyone.

If you don't want to pay the $550 AF you can always get the Ameriprise Amex Plat which doesn't have a MR bonus but it doesn't have an AF during the first year. You also get free authorized users and I believe that the AUs also get a credit the Global Entry. This might be your best bet, especially if you can get 2 GE credits.
This card is intriguing. Both actually, but even with the $550 fee, the Platinum card has some perks that may be beneficial to us.

For the most part I'm thinking of a specific trip with this card and every other right now...DTW -> LIH on Delta, hop to OGG on Hawaiian (using DL miles), then OGG -> DTW. Trip taking place September 2018.

First off the 60k MR points *should* be worth $900 ish if transferred and used for airfare. It'll cost $36 to transfer them.

The double-dip on the airline credit we should be able to use for the full $400. If all else fails we can purchase DL e-gift cards (per the FT forum this will trigger the credit). But for our HI trip, I'm wondering if I can book a DL award flight at a saver rate, pay to upgrade to C+ and get reimbursed? Anyone know if that's possible? And would it count toward the Platinum airline credit? If not, the 60k points transferred to DL should help offset the cost of just booking a C+ award seat.

I was also planning on holding onto my DL Gold Amex for year 2...the $95 fee would be offset by 2 free checked backs and we'd get "priority" boarding...but if I get this Plat card I could cancel the DL card and "save" that $95. The $100 then spent for bags would be offset by the airline credit. And I don't care about priority boarding...with nothing to go in the overhead bin we'll be fine being last on the plane.

We will get $100 out of the GE/Precheck credit.

And then on this trip specifically...the lounges. We've never been to an airport lounge. We almost always book nonstop flights. But basically every flight from DTW to LIH has a layover at SEA or LAX...ranging from a svelte 30 mins to 2 or 3 hours. LAX and SEA both have Delta Sky Club lounges...which we *might* end up utilizing if we have a 2-3 hour layover. However you want to value our possibly using that benefit.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:23 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:24 pm
SVT wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
sharpjm wrote:

Thanks. How does Amex screen for business cards? As mentioned, at this point my "business" is, basically, dormant.
They are very very easy to get. I've had two of them and I only have an EBay "business". On the application I say I make $500 a year with $50/month expenses. Quite true, no lying, and no problem getting approved. Have the SPG business and Business Gold Rewards cards. Also have done the same with Alaska Airlines business card.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:04 pm

giesen5 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:23 pm
rjbraun wrote:
SVT wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
sharpjm wrote:

They are very very easy to get. I've had two of them and I only have an EBay "business". On the application I say I make $500 a year with $50/month expenses. Quite true, no lying, and no problem getting approved. Have the SPG business and Business Gold Rewards cards. Also have done the same with Alaska Airlines business card.
Interesting. Good to know, thank you.

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:14 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:32 am
sharpjm wrote:

I don't see the GE / Precheck reimbursement anywhere associated with the Gold card. :confused

It is not part of the normal gold card benefits. When you add an Authorized user to the Platinum card, you can choose between Platinum or Gold. The platinum AU cards have an AF of $175 or something like that. The Authorized User gold cards have no AF but lose the majority of the benefits that the primary platinum card has - however you do still get GE reimbursement for that Gold AU.

See here: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/everythi ... -platinum/

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:27 pm

rjbraun wrote:
sharpjm wrote:

The main difference between Personal and Business Plats is that the Business Plat is $450 AF and doesn't include the monthly Uber credits. It also does not get 5x on airlines and amextravel. However, it has a unique perk that allows for 35% of your points back when redeemed for flights on your chosen airline - which must be the same airline that the $200 credit will count toward. For example, if you find a $1000 flight, it will cost you 100k points, but you will receive 35k points back as part of this benefit. The flight must be booked through amextravel to redeem the points like this. The cash cost may or may not be similar to booking directly with the airline. And the value of points may be more or less than if you were to transfer the points to the airline and book with airline miles.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:09 pm

sharpjm wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:27 pm
rjbraun wrote:
sharpjm wrote:

The main difference between Personal and Business Plats is that the Business Plat is $450 AF and doesn't include the monthly Uber credits. It also does not get 5x on airlines and amextravel. However, it has a unique perk that allows for 35% of your points back when redeemed for flights on your chosen airline - which must be the same airline that the $200 credit will count toward. For example, if you find a $1000 flight, it will cost you 100k points, but you will receive 35k points back as part of this benefit. The flight must be booked through amextravel to redeem the points like this. The cash cost may or may not be similar to booking directly with the airline. And the value of points may be more or less than if you were to transfer the points to the airline and book with airline miles.
Thank you. I find those Amex cards (plat, gold, etc.) kinda complicated. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, what I've surmised so far, primarily from posts here, is that the card can be very nice for people who travel a lot, either on business or personally and perhaps stay at nicer hotels or value perks like special concierge access for play tickets, restaurant reservations, etc.

While SO and I travel some, and hope to more once we retire (unlikely in the next 12 months), we don't quite fit the profile of what I wrote above. That said, if I could get the card to try out for, in essence, free, I should probably consider it.

On that front,

-- Can I convert MR points to cash? From the website, the best I found was either a statement credit or gift cards. Is the ratio 1c / MR, i.e., 100k bonus equals $1000?
-- I currently have Chase Sapphire Reserve and value the trip protection / cancellation insurance benefits. My understanding is that if I book a flight (and perhaps also a tour, haven't checked) and need to cancel due to illness or medical issue, for me or other immediate family member (not sure that's exact language but would cover a parent, which is important to me) I should be covered. Is Amex coverage comparable?
-- Would the Amex Business Plat card count towards Chase "5/24"? I am either at 3/24 or 4/24, depending on whether Chase Ink Biz Preferred and Chase IHG count, and trying to hold out for CSP (round 2) and perhaps Chase United if I got a 70k targeted offer.

Actually, just noticed that the website seems to indicate 5x on airlines and prepaid hotels on amextravel, my actual card offer offers something similar (if not that exact wording). This benefit is shown as "New!" and also seems to be in addition to the 35% points back feature on (qualifying) flights.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/cred ... edit-cards

Thanks in advance for any help

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:12 pm

rjbraun wrote:
SVT wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
sharpjm wrote:

My husband has a small consulting business since he retired. It's practically dormant. But I have the EIN number, I've applied to a bunch Amex business cards. In short, I don't think it's a problem.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:17 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:12 pm
My husband has a small consulting business since he retired. It's practically dormant. But I have the EIN number, I've applied to a bunch Amex business cards. In short, I don't think it's a problem.
Thanks, but I don't have an EIN number. Not sure if that matters and I could perhaps apply for an EIN number, but I think that is a step beyond what I am prepared to do, at this point.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Da5id wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:44 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:22 am
I think fees are just fine if you do a "total return" analysis. The best sign up rewards come with high fee cards. Sometimes the fee is suspended for the first year, sometimes not. You can get the reward and cancel before paying the second fee and do very well. But of course you have to keep track of things, make minimum spends on things you'd have spent on anyway, etc, and decide of that is worth the hassle.

If deciding to keep a high fee card, you need to of course know that it is worth it to you. I have 3 fee cards right now, Chase Sapphire Reserve (net $150 fee after travel allowance I'll always use), Chase Southwest Plus Rapid Rewards ($69), and a new Citi Prestige card (net $200 fee after travel allowance I'll always use). Of those, I''m only keeping Chase Sapphire Reserve after first year. CSR comes with lots of side benefits making it worth $150 to me. The others are giving me a nice one-time "profit" at the credit card companies expense. e.g. the Citi Prestige came with 75000 points. I will use the $250 travel credit twice before cancelling. I will get global entry for my son ($100 value), as I have it myself already. And I may use the "4th night" free at a hotel, not clear yet. So even valuing points at 1c I'm ending with a "profit" of at least $800 on the Citi card. The work involved for Citi was an online application. Meeting the spend is easy for me (prepay insurance, some medical out of pocket bills, few other things that were due anyway). Just need to remember to cancel/downgrade the card when the time comes.

I also have a "fee" credit card for Costco ($60 kind of, need Costco membership), but since I'd be a member anyway I consider that card to be free.
I closed all of my credit cards before the year is up, all total about 14-18 cards. The only card I keep is British Airways for no foreign transaction. I don't even pay for my Costco card, I have Executive member, so Costco reimburses me money every year for shopping at Costco. This is on top of the cash back from the Citi Costco Card.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:33 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:30 pm
I closed all of my credit cards before the year is up, all total about 14-18 cards. The only card I keep is British Airways for no foreign transaction. I don't even pay for my Costco card, I have Executive memeber, so Costco reimburse me money every year for shopping at Costco. This is on top of the cash back from the Citi Costco Card.
By your logic, none of my cards have fees i that I earn back more than the fee, no? But I guess that is just semantics.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Da5id wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:33 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
I closed all of my credit cards before the year is up, all total about 14-18 cards. The only card I keep is British Airways for no foreign transaction. I don't even pay for my Costco card, I have Executive memeber, so Costco reimburse me money every year for shopping at Costco. This is on top of the cash back from the Citi Costco Card.
By your logic, none of my cards have fees i that I earn back more than the fee, no? But I guess that is just semantics.
I think it's by your logic, not mine, I was merely respond to your Costco card is not free. I'm talking strictly about fee that you pay every year.
I don't intend to spend my time to debate on this, but I have a lot of cards and I don't think it's wise for me to pay $95 per card. Again, it's me. You are free to pay any fee you are so desire.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:37 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:35 pm
I think it's by your logic, not mine, I was merely respond to your Costco card is not free. I'm talking strictly about fee that you pay every year.
You are not eligible to get a Costco credit card unless you pay the membership fee. No fee, no card? That you'd get the membership regardless of the ability to get a card is a point, but actually I'd get the Costco card without the membership (it is pretty good).

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:38 pm

rjbraun wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:17 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Thanks, but I don't have an EIN number. Not sure if that matters and I could perhaps apply for an EIN number, but I think that is a step beyond what I am prepared to do, at this point.
You don't need an EIN number, just your SS. I do not have an EIN number.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Da5id wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:37 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
You are not eligible to get a Costco credit card unless you pay the membership fee. No fee, no card? That you'd get the membership regardless of the ability to get a card is a point, but actually I'd get the Costco card without the membership (it is pretty good).
Not regular card, but executive card where you pay $110 or $120 every year but you get 2% reimbursement and the net result is free money. I see no fee.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:41 pm

giesen5 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:38 pm
rjbraun wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
I believe you are right, however, I never tried to apply with just SS.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Paypal Mastercard pays 2% on every purchase from anywhere, anytime. No fees.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:42 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:40 pm
Da5id wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:37 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Not regular card, but executive card where you pay $110 or $120 every year but you get 2% reimbursement and the net result is free money. I see no fee.
I have executive membership (which is separate from the card, no)? I make a net profit from the extra 2% regardless of what payment method I use . You get 2% on the regular membership as well if you use the Costco branded Visa card.

On my Chase Sapphire Reserve, I also make a net profit. I guess I don't see a fundamental distinction, but fine.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:44 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:41 pm
giesen5 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:38 pm
rjbraun wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
I believe you are right, however, I never tried to apply with just SS.
Using my SS is the only way I have applied for a business card. However, I do believe there a few cards out there that require EIN, just not the Amex and BofA cards I have applied for.

rjbraun - it is easy, go for it!

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:56 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
I closed all of my credit cards before the year is up, all total about 14-18 cards.
Doesn't this type of pattern get you blacklisted with the credit card companies? :confused

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:01 pm

sharpjm wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:14 pm
guitarguy wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:32 am
sharpjm wrote:

It is not part of the normal gold card benefits. When you add an Authorized user to the Platinum card, you can choose between Platinum or Gold. The platinum AU cards have an AF of $175 or something like that. The Authorized User gold cards have no AF but lose the majority of the benefits that the primary platinum card has - however you do still get GE reimbursement for that Gold AU.

See here: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/everythi ... -platinum/
Wow! Thank you!!!! What an awesome tidbit of knowledge here!!!

Since one of the main reasons that I'm considering this card right now is the GE/Precheck credit...getting it twice via a gold authorized user would be huge!!

I estimate then we could get roughly $1500 in value out of this card for the $550 fee, not including any other perks like lounges and tickets and so forth.

Only downside is if we take advantage of the lounge on our HI trip. I could pay $29 for DW to join me, which would then be covered by the travel credit. But...we'll be flying more than likely with non-travel hacking friends on the same flight...so we may not end up using the lounge anyway so as not to be snooty and leave our group hanging haha.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:09 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:56 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
I closed all of my credit cards before the year is up, all total about 14-18 cards.
Doesn't this type of pattern get you blacklisted with the credit card companies? :confused
Yes, Chase refused to give me a credit card. But I need to wait 2 years before I re-apply.