What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
dbr

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by dbr »

VictoriaF wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:55 pm
dbr wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:49 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:48 pm
protagonist wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:08 am Another thing to consider is the money value of simplicity. Thinking, planning, etc costs time and time is money.
Thank you, protagonist. You have expressed it exactly right. There are many life priorities that are far greater than optimizing CC rewards, and focusing on low hanging fruits is probably the best strategy.

Victoria
It's a hobby and hobbies are entertaining.
I agree that with our hobbies we spend much more time than others may consider prudent.
I agree that many people participating in this thread are Credit Card rewards hobbyists and derive pleasure from playing this game.
I admit that I, too, play this game at a Beginner level and get pleasure when I get some results.

But this exchange was about something I have written earlier and I responded according to how I think about it now.

Thank you for reminding me that this is an entertaining hobby in its own right, with rewards apart from the cost-benefit ratios of time and money.

Victoria
And I agree with you that the idea one is making money for effort on this is probably not really so most of the time. There might be exceptions among those that are such frequent travelers on business that all sorts of benefits eventually accrue. On the other hand about the last thing someone who puts in extensive travel for work wants to do is get on an airplane again in their free time. I guess they can buy tickets for other people though.
mageedge

Post by mageedge »

It looks like Chase has put new restrictions on UR point transfers between cards. I was not able to transfer between Freedom and Sapphire Reserve today - something I have done numerous times in the past.

The blogs carried a rumor to this effect a couple of months ago - just took Chase a while to implement!

I can't speak for Freedom Unlimited because I don't have one but I assume it gets the same limitation.

CSR is still a winning travel card but the Chase "eco-system" discussion will disappear with this change I suspect - little reason to get the Freedom Unlimited at 1.5 points (except the current 'double points' promotion makes it worthwhile for now) with 2% options out there.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I recently obtained cfu with double points and transferred them to csp with no problems.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

mageedge wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:16 pm It looks like Chase has put new restrictions on UR point transfers between cards. I was not able to transfer between Freedom and Sapphire Reserve today - something I have done numerous times in the past.

The blogs carried a rumor to this effect a couple of months ago - just took Chase a while to implement!

I can't speak for Freedom Unlimited because I don't have one but I assume it gets the same limitation.

CSR is still a winning travel card but the Chase "eco-system" discussion will disappear with this change I suspect - little reason to get the Freedom Unlimited at 1.5 points (except the current 'double points' promotion makes it worthwhile for now) with 2% options out there.
Just did it and it works. That UR portal transfer feature goes down all the time, that's probably what it was.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

VictoriaF wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:55 pm
dbr wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:49 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:48 pm
protagonist wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:08 am Another thing to consider is the money value of simplicity. Thinking, planning, etc costs time and time is money.
Thank you, protagonist. You have expressed it exactly right. There are many life priorities that are far greater than optimizing CC rewards, and focusing on low hanging fruits is probably the best strategy.

Victoria
It's a hobby and hobbies are entertaining.
I agree that with our hobbies we spend much more time than others may consider prudent.
I agree that many people participating in this thread are Credit Card rewards hobbyists and derive pleasure from playing this game.
I admit that I, too, play this game at a Beginner level and get pleasure when I get some results.

But this exchange was about something I have written earlier and I responded according to how I think about it now.

Thank you for reminding me that this is an entertaining hobby in its own right, with rewards apart from the cost-benefit ratios of time and money.

Victoria
Thank you for coming back with an update. I am sorry to hear about the family tragedy.

I definitely fall into the "it's a hobby" bucket. It is fun for me to see what points to use, look at various routings, etc, but I know I am "working" for far less than the minimum wage, but it isn't work for me.
LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza »

I am about to embark on a 4 month trip at my own expense. The area I will be traveling in is mostly populated by the large hotel chains, not many independent options.

I have the Marriott, IHG, Hilton, Choice and Hyatt cards.

I am wondering if there is any way to hack this - i.e. which program is most lucrative for earning free nights based on actual stays ----- what have you seen in your experience?

I've been trying to come up with a better plan than just driving up to the first place I spot each night.

Thanks
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

mageedge wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:16 pm It looks like Chase has put new restrictions on UR point transfers between cards. I was not able to transfer between Freedom and Sapphire Reserve today - something I have done numerous times in the past.

CFU at 1.5 with partner transfer options beats 2% cash back cards..imo
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Just moved a couple thousand points from Cash Ink to CSR a minute ago.
mageedge

Post by mageedge »

BeneIRA wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Just did it and it works. That UR portal transfer feature goes down all the time, that's probably what it was.
Tried again - success this time! You must be correct on the portal glitch issue - thanks.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

LuigiLikesPizza wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:21 pm I am about to embark on a 4 month trip at my own expense. The area I will be traveling in is mostly populated by the large hotel chains, not many independent options.

I am wondering if there is any way to hack this - i.e. which program is most lucrative for earning free nights based on actual stays ----- what have you seen in your experience?

I've been trying to come up with a better plan than just driving up to the first place I spot each night.

Thanks
It depends on what you value, which hotel chain you like, and which chain has a footprint where you want to travel. I would probably see if it made sense to stay at one chain if possible for the elite status and you would probably bet yourself some free nights in the process. Frequent Miler had an interesting article recently on which hotel programs were the most lucrative.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/ ... rewarding/

They also have one on IHG, Wyndham, and Choice. Make sure to sign up for Q2 and Q3 promotions, too!
investor997

Post by investor997 »

Thanks to the bonus from their Preferred Rewards program, I'm all-in on the BofA/ME approach.

BofA Cash Rewards (5.25% gas, 3.5% groceries/Costco)
BofA Premium Rewards (3.5% dining/travel, 2.62% general spend)

Up until now I'd been placing all general spend on a Citi DoubleCash.

I also have a Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards card. I signed up last year for the companion pass promotion. I may cancel this one before the next AF is due.

I waffled over getting a CSR/CFU combination but in the end, I valued the flexibility of cash back over the uncertainty and extra planning required to make use of Chase Ultimate Rewards.
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

investor997 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:28 am Thanks to the bonus from their Preferred Rewards program, I'm all-in on the BofA/ME approach.

With $100k at BofA/Merrill, the two cards you mentioned give you tremendous simplicity on cash back. As far as the ME side of things, I have no idea why more people don't look into it with free ETF trades.
WhyAmeriprise

Post by WhyAmeriprise »

deltaneutral83 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 am
investor997 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:28 am Thanks to the bonus from their Preferred Rewards program, I'm all-in on the BofA/ME approach.

With $100k at BofA/Merrill, the two cards you mentioned give you tremendous simplicity on cash back. As far as the ME side of things, I have no idea why more people don't look into it with free ETF trades.
The bump in rewards is why BoA/ME got my Vanguard ETF purchases and not Vanguard directly.

The "annoying" thing, IMHO, is that when you transfer $100k in, you have to wait for the rewards benefits to phase in because the rewards tier is based on a rolling three month average. I'm only at Platinum Rewards still, because my average is only at $84k this month.
deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 »

WhyAmeriprise wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:20 pm
deltaneutral83 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 am

The bump in rewards is why BoA/ME got my Vanguard ETF purchases and not Vanguard directly.

The "annoying" thing, IMHO, is that when you transfer $100k in, you have to wait for the rewards benefits to phase in because the rewards tier is based on a rolling three month average. I'm only at Platinum Rewards still, because my average is only at $84k this month.
Depends on the amount you're bringing over. If you have a sizable amount from the outside you wanted to move over and you tell BofA you don't wish to wait on the BofA side of things for credit card/bonus rewards etc. etc. and that you're sitting down with Chuck Schwab next week and ask BofA to get back to you before then if they can accommodate, somehow I think you'll get a "special" offer to take care of the 90 days. I had my brokerage account for 90 days but not the checking account and they told me you needed both for the rewards and I told them I'd be moving every last penny except minimum amounts to keep bonuses and credit card rewards if they didn't fix the situation, got a call back 10 minutes later with many apologies from mid level management, and was enrolled in rewards within 24 hours, applied for credit card the day after that with instant approval.
investor997

Post by investor997 »

WhyAmeriprise wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:20 pm The "annoying" thing, IMHO, is that when you transfer $100k in, you have to wait for the rewards benefits to phase in because the rewards tier is based on a rolling three month average. I'm only at Platinum Rewards still, because my average is only at $84k this month.
Trivia tidbit: With respect to the BofA Cash Rewards card (target gas & groceries & Costco), the Preferred Rewards bonus isn't applied until you *redeem* the cash back. You can always get the card right away and start using it to accumulate cash back while you wait to achieve your desired level of Preferred Rewards status. This only works for the Cash Rewards card and not the Premium Rewards card. For the latter, I believe the points bonus is applied immediately upon use of the card.
WhyAmeriprise

Post by WhyAmeriprise »

investor997 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:42 pm
WhyAmeriprise wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:20 pm The "annoying" thing, IMHO, is that when you transfer $100k in, you have to wait for the rewards benefits to phase in because the rewards tier is based on a rolling three month average. I'm only at Platinum Rewards still, because my average is only at $84k this month.
Trivia tidbit: With respect to the BofA Cash Rewards card (target gas & groceries & Costco), the Preferred Rewards bonus isn't applied until you *redeem* the cash back. You can always get the card right away and start using it to accumulate cash back while you wait to achieve your desired level of Preferred Rewards status. This only works for the Cash Rewards card and not the Premium Rewards card. For the latter, I believe the points bonus is applied immediately upon use of the card.
I noticed that... and my mailer even offers me 50% bonus points on an old AAA Midatlantic Visa, and old version of the WorldPoints Visa. Both cards were originally issued by MBNA/FIA.

My mailer only included three cards; I need to see if other cards (MLB, another Cash Rewards) are included also.

I read that Business cards are excluded.
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 »

DiMAn0684 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:23 pm
BUBear29 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:26 pm
DiMAn0684 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:03 am
BUBear29 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:17 am Want to see what you guys think:

Currently have the following cards: CSP, CFU, USAA (2.5%), Amex BCP.

I want to simplify down to two cards. Would you stick with CSP/CFU or go with USAA/Amex?

We typically buy flights on Southwest as we fly on AA for free (family member is corporate exec). Really just want points/cash for travel. I’m thinking USAA/Amex due to flexibility of use and ability to then earn points on southwest when booking flights with cash.

Thoughts?
Very much depends on how highly you value Chase URs.
I really only use them for SW flights. I find the Chase portal is more expensive than Hotels.com
If you search around, 1 SW pt value for Wanna Get Away flights is usually ~1.3c, so for each dollar you spend on CFU you'll get 1.5 UR pts which roughly converts to 1.95c in SW flights. Judging by this metric 2.5% is better, however another factor to consider is the ability to cancel SW point bookings at any time without penalty. That's a big deal for some people who book SW flights on points and see if a better deal comes around.
Yes i agree with SW points booking and exchanging. However, I think at the end of the day, I value cash more and like that I can use cash when redeeming to actually earn additional SW points, Hotels.com points, etc. As such, I am going to go with USAA Limitless and Amex BCP and going to ditch Chase UR cards. I am even going to change my primary banking from Chase to USAA (hope i dont regret this!). Will keep Chase account with min balance for deposits, etc.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Got a targeted offer for the Chase United Explorer card - 60K miles when spending $3,000 in first three months (plus 5K additional for each authorized user added - after the AU places a charge on their card). This is better than the standard offer I see (40K miles) or even the typical upgraded offer of 50K miles. However, still not as good as the offer my wife took last year (70K miles). Offer expires mid July. Still deciding whether to jump on it or wait out a possible repeat of the 70K offer that came last year.

Found this offer after logging into my Chase account and looking at CC offers (was not sent any kind of mailer). I had this card before (opened back around 2012 and cancelled it several months ago - precisely for the opportunity to get bonus miles on re-open).

DW and I do fly United (although not exclusively), but opportunities to use their miles have not been all that plentiful (at least for the trips we have been taking).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
onourway

Post by onourway »

Chase Freedom 5% categories for Q3 can be activated starting today. It is Gas, Lyft, and Walgreens.

Unfortunately these are of no use for me. I already get 5% on gas from my Amex Blue Cash, and even better, right now I'm getting 10% back at Exxon/Mobil stations through another Amex promotion (through end of November!), plus 10c off per gallon for using the Speedpass+ app, plus the Amex MR points, plus an additional 2% back through Dosh. Activate this promotion if you have it!

Amazon Prime card is giving some targeted users 3% back on travel purchases through the end of the year. Not much use if you have better cards in your wallet, but if you have the Prime card and don't have a good travel card, a nice perk.
ImmigrantSaver

Post by ImmigrantSaver »

onourway wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 am Chase Freedom 5% categories for Q3 can be activated starting today. It is Gas, Lyft, and Walgreens.

Unfortunately these are of no use for me. I already get 5% on gas from my Amex Blue Cash, and even better, right now I'm getting 10% back at Exxon/Mobil stations through another Amex promotion (through end of November!), plus 10c off per gallon for using the Speedpass+ app, plus the Amex MR points, plus an additional 2% back through Dosh. Activate this promotion if you have it!

Amazon Prime card is giving some targeted users 3% back on travel purchases through the end of the year. Not much use if you have better cards in your wallet, but if you have the Prime card and don't have a good travel card, a nice perk.
I wonder if Walgreens also includes Duane Reade, as they are partners now..
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

MikeG62 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 am Got a targeted offer for the Chase United Explorer card - 60K miles when spending $3,000 in first three months (plus 5K additional for each authorized user added - after the AU places a charge on their card). This is better than the standard offer I see (40K miles) or even the typical upgraded offer of 50K miles. However, still not as good as the offer my wife took last year (70K miles). Offer expires mid July. Still deciding whether to jump on it or wait out a possible repeat of the 70K offer that came last year.

Found this offer after logging into my Chase account and looking at CC offers (was not sent any kind of mailer). I had this card before (opened back around 2012 and cancelled it several months ago - precisely for the opportunity to get bonus miles on re-open).

DW and I do fly United (although not exclusively), but opportunities to use their miles have not been all that plentiful (at least for the trips we have been taking).
If you have no upcoming use for them, I would probably wait. Miles overtime become less valuable, not more, so I would guess we are going to see a United devaluation at some point in the next year or two. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 70,000 mile offer came back.
onourway wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 am Chase Freedom 5% categories for Q3 can be activated starting today. It is Gas, Lyft, and Walgreens.

Your Walgreens doesn't have gift cards? Some 7-11 stores also code as gas stations, so you can grab gift cards from there, that's what I did during last year's gas station quarter.
ImmigrantSaver wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:04 pm

I wonder if Walgreens also includes Duane Reade, as they are partners now..
Reports are that Duane Read codes as Walgreens, so you should be fine. You could always do a test purchase of a dollar or so to make sure it codes correctly.
onourway

Post by onourway »

BeneIRA wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:00 pm
Your Walgreens doesn't have gift cards? Some 7-11 stores also code as gas stations, so you can grab gift cards from there, that's what I did during last year's gas station quarter.
I don't churn to the point of buying gift cards unless I have a specific, targeted purchase in mind. Just one level more complex than I'm willing to go.

That said, over at /r/churning it sounds like Walgreens doesn't reliably let you buy gift cards via credit cards.

Oh - and forgot that my Amex Blue gets me 5% back at drug stores anyhow so this offer is always available to me with no limits.
Last edited by onourway on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

As to Walgreens does anybody know the cash back percent for Walgreens on the Amex blue cash 6% grocery card?
MonkeyPants

Post by MonkeyPants »

MikeG62 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 am Got a targeted offer for the Chase United Explorer card - 60K miles when spending $3,000 in first three months (plus 5K additional for each authorized user added - after the AU places a charge on their card). This is better than the standard offer I see (40K miles) or even the typical upgraded offer of 50K miles. However, still not as good as the offer my wife took last year (70K miles). Offer expires mid July. Still deciding whether to jump on it or wait out a possible repeat of the 70K offer that came last year.

Hi MikeG62, 60K bonus for this card is quite good; I don't see that often (normally 40-50K). I haven't seen 70K bonus advertised for this card in years so waiting may not lead to this offer.

However, if you are not flying regularly out of a United hub airport or an overwhelmingly loyal United flyer, this card may not be entirely worth it for you. I would cross-compare with other travel cards in the Chase card family (I do not churn cards for bonuses, though perhaps this is your strategy here). I maintain a Chase United Explorer card as I am a heavy UA user for work (150-200K miles/year) and this card is my oldest line of credit, BUT it is not my preferred or most effective travel card even so.

If your credit score meets requirements and spending habits skew toward travel and dining, the Chase Sapphire Reserve will earn you miles toward flights far faster (3miles/$ for travel and dining vs 2 miles/$ for United flights and hotels). The CSR awards structure will allow for far greater flexibility if you jump between airline networks. There's extensive discussion online about these benefits. The effective annual fee of $150 ($450-300 travel credit) is higher than the $95 for the United Explorer, but the equation tilts heavily toward the CSR after a breakeven point of $6-7K spend depending on how you rank the benefits. Again, lifestyle and needs dependent, but worth your consideration.

The Chase Sapphire preferred has reduced benefits (2 miles/$ for travel and dining), but at $95 annual, may still beat the United Explorer with overall mileage accrual and flexibility with airlines. Hope this helps.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

onourway wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:05 pm
I don't churn to the point of buying gift cards unless I have a specific, targeted purchase in mind. Just one level more complex than I'm willing to go.

That said, over at /r/churning it sounds like Walgreens doesn't reliably let you buy gift cards via credit cards.

Oh - and forgot that my Amex Blue gets me 5% back at drug stores anyhow so this offer is always available to me with no limits.
I'll be interested to try it next quarter. I plan on using it for Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix, if nothing else.
JBTX wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:30 pm As to Walgreens does anybody know the cash back percent for Walgreens on the Amex blue cash 6% grocery card?
Is there any reason it would be anything other than 1%?
rj49

Post by rj49 »

LuigiLikesPizza wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:21 pm I am about to embark on a 4 month trip at my own expense. The area I will be traveling in is mostly populated by the large hotel chains, not many independent options.

Thanks
The problem is the perennial one with loyalty cards--by pursuing free nights/miles/points you end up paying for more expensive options. If I were doing a 4-month trip I'd try to avoid sterility and sameness in lodging, and AirBnb or VRBO is one way to do that. It also has the intangible benefits of more hominess, having a kitchen to eat and cook in (thus potentially saving money and calories), space, interaction with locals, and privacy (usually). If you're looking for credit card rewards from the experience, the Uber VISA card is a secret bargain for travel, since it gives back 3% for lodging, including AirBnB, and pays 4% back on dining and bars, and if you spend $5,000 a year you get a $50 credit for Netflix or Amazon Prime. It will also cover $600 against cell phone theft or damage if you put your bill on the card. While you can redeem for Uber credits, you can also do it for cash after $25.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

BeneIRA wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:49 pm

I'll be interested to try it next quarter. I plan on using it for Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix, if nothing else.
JBTX wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:30 pm As to Walgreens does anybody know the cash back percent for Walgreens on the Amex blue cash 6% grocery card?
I thought I saw on the card site that they have relationship with Walgreens but I couldn't figure out rebate %

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/cont ... etail.html
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

MonkeyPants wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi MikeG62, 60K bonus for this card is quite good; I don't see that often (normally 40-50K). I haven't seen 70K bonus advertised for this card in years so waiting may not lead to this offer.

However, if you are not flying regularly out of a United hub airport or an overwhelmingly loyal United flyer, this card may not be entirely worth it for you. I would cross-compare with other travel cards in the Chase card family (I do not churn cards for bonuses, though perhaps this is your strategy here). I maintain a Chase United Explorer card as I am a heavy UA user for work (150-200K miles/year) and this card is my oldest line of credit, BUT it is not my preferred or most effective travel card even so.

If your credit score meets requirements and spending habits skew toward travel and dining, the Chase Sapphire Reserve will earn you miles toward flights far faster (3miles/$ for travel and dining vs 2 miles/$ for United flights and hotels). The CSR awards structure will allow for far greater flexibility if you jump between airline networks. There's extensive discussion online about these benefits. The effective annual fee of $150 ($450-300 travel credit) is higher than the $95 for the United Explorer, but the equation tilts heavily toward the CSR after a breakeven point of $6-7K spend depending on how you rank the benefits. Again, lifestyle and needs dependent, but worth your consideration.

The Chase Sapphire preferred has reduced benefits (2 miles/$ for travel and dining), but at $95 annual, may still beat the United Explorer with overall mileage accrual and flexibility with airlines. Hope this helps.
Thanks MonkeyPants. I tend to agree with you - 60K bonus miles is a good deal and if I add my daughter as an AU, I can up that to 65K miles.

I live in central NJ and do fly out of EWR a bit (about 6 times per year at least) - as well as out of other local airports where that makes sense. So the card is worth it for me even for only the free checked bag (for me and DW) as well as the priority boarding. Having said that, DW has the same card (got hers last year) so we can enjoy those bene’s even if I choose not to get this card again.

I would not mind the extra 65K miles though.

Also, I already have the CSR card (along with a host of others). We travel a lot and get lots of value out of the CSR. I also have other airline CC’s (Delta and American) and may well get the Jet Blue card too. The bonus miles in all cases were good and the other benefits (free checked bags and priority boarding) more than make up for the annual fee.

So I think I am going to get the Chase United Explorer card again. Just a matter of whether I should wait for the 70K miles offer. I am leaning in the direction you indicate - just take the current offer which is pretty good. That will push me to the Chase 5/24 limit. Still can get the Jet Blue card after since that is Barclays I think.

I do not churn cards anymore - I did that in the past, but stopped several years ago. Too much brain damage and with the Chase 5/24 and other cards limiting to one bonus lifetime per card type (AMEX) it just is not worth the effort.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

JBTX wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:53 pm
BeneIRA wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:49 pm

I thought I saw on the card site that they have relationship with Walgreens but I couldn't figure out rebate %

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/cont ... etail.html
That is just them listing the different category codings. I would be stunned if it was anything other than 1% for the Blue Cash Preferred. It states on that list Walgreens is a Drug Store. 6% is only earned on groceries.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

I just received a replacement for my Citi Sears Mastercard. I had actually forgotten about it, since I haven't shopped at Sears (no stores near me anyway) and haven't used it in years.

I think it gives you ThankYou points too, but these are not transferrable. I don't find ThankYou points that useful anyway, and in any case I do have a Citi Premier card (which I might downgrade to Preferred at renewal time).

So -- is there any advantage to a Citi Sears Mastercard if one hardly ever shops at Sears/K-Mart ?
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:22 amSo -- is there any advantage to a Citi Sears Mastercard if one hardly ever shops at Sears/K-Mart ?
If you buy clothes from Lands' End, you can use your points there.
brushwood

Post by brushwood »

I also have a Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards card. I signed up last year for the companion pass promotion. I may cancel this one before the next AF is due.

I waffled over getting a CSR/CFU combination but in the end, I valued the flexibility of cash back over the uncertainty and extra planning required to make use of Chase Ultimate Rewards.
I had this same plan but isn't the cash rewards card a MasterCard? Since Costco only takes Visa, you won't be able to use it there for warehouse purchases or gas, which greatly reduced the utility for me.
investor997

Post by investor997 »

brushwood wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:12 pm

I had this same plan but isn't the cash rewards card a MasterCard? Since Costco only takes Visa, you won't be able to use it there for warehouse purchases or gas, which greatly reduced the utility for me.
That's a good point. I've had the BofA Cash Rewards card for a number of years so mine's a VISA, not MC. I'm not sure when they made the change.
mpsz

Post by mpsz »

investor997 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:07 pm

That's a good point. I've had the BofA Cash Rewards card for a number of years so mine's a VISA, not MC. I'm not sure when they made the change.
Mine is also a Visa, but it looks like they offer other varieties of the 3-2-1 card as a Visa -- US Pride and Komen are two shown as Visa on the website. You may also be able to call and request the card be issued or converted to a Visa, Chase has done this for me in the past (but not these days).
rallycobra

Post by rallycobra »

I use those two BofA cards the same way and-
I use Citi DoubleCash for extended warranty, so I purchase appliances and electronics on that one. Citi will add two years, standard Visa signature adds one. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-car ... -warranty/
Chase United card for car rentals with primary car insurance.
Amazon Prime card exclusively for Amazon (5%?)
80% Total Stock Market US VTI | 15% Intermediate Treasury VGIT | 5% Gold GLDM/AAAU
brushwood

Post by brushwood »

mpsz wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:15 pm
investor997 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:07 pm

Mine is also a Visa, but it looks like they offer other varieties of the 3-2-1 card as a Visa -- US Pride and Komen are two shown as Visa on the website. You may also be able to call and request the card be issued or converted to a Visa, Chase has done this for me in the past (but not these days).
Thanks for the heads up! I didn't notice that those other cards had the same cash rewards. I ended up getting the World Wildlife Fund Visa to use for Costco.
Loon11

Post by Loon11 »

not a big churner but this year, cancelled my old capitalone spark and switched to Venture for $500 travel reward for $3000 spent in first 3 months.
Will cancel it in a few months since it has a $95 annual fee - 2% on everything. My go to card is PenFed 2% cash back no annual fee. So far this year, have made $250 cash back in $25 increments. Also have Discover It for category spending.
Just received a flyer offering USAA card 1.5% no annual fee and $200 bonus for 1500 spending first 3 months. toying with doing it but don't want the hit on my credit. when I cancelled my old cap one and went to the new cap one venture, my credit score dropped. I suppose due to checking credit. that was early May, just getting back up in the 800s now.

do most of you cancel old cards? I don't want to open another I won't use but the $200 for USAA is tempting.
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

I do cancel old cards or ones with an annual fee I don't want to pay. Gonna cancel my Marriot card because the annual night is now limited to category 5. I keep the Chase Sapphire Reserve because I use the travel credit and restaurant and travel cash back.
gougou

Post by gougou »

1. Alliant Visa Signature: 3% back on everything
2. Bank of America Premium Rewards: 3.5% on restaurants
3. Bank of America Cash Rewards: 5.25% on gas
4. Amex Blue Cash Preferred: 6% on groceries
5. Amex Business Gold Rewards: 3x points on shipping, telephone bills (worth 3.75% cash back)

And btw I am a big churner/ms'er and I buy a lot of gift cards/money orders. I also do some reselling. I have some business cards that I use to effectively get interest free loans but it is a lot of work every month.
The sillier the market’s behavior, the greater the opportunity for the business like investor.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

Loon11 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 pmdo most of you cancel old cards? I don't want to open another I won't use but the $200 for USAA is tempting.
I keep all of my old cards since I don't get cards that have annual fees. There's no telling when a preferred card of mine might get cancelled out of the blue. I set reminders on my Google calendar to use my sock drawer card about once every six months to minimize the chance of these cards getting cancelled due to inactivity.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

Loon11 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 pm when I cancelled my old cap one and went to the new cap one venture, my credit score dropped. I suppose due to checking credit.
The credit score drop was likely due to cancelling the old card. Doing so increased your overall utilization which is a primary component of your score (indicator of risk). Next time downgrade it to a fee-free version of the card and throw it in a drawer (which leads to the question posed later in this thread).
Loon11

Post by Loon11 »

Thanks Zinco - that's exactly what happened and will just keep the old cards hidden away. I think I still have an old Penny's card from 20 yrs ago and never used. My credit score explanation also said I had no loans and that was a reason. one would think not having installment loans would be a good thing, go figure. but it is back in the 800's so no worries.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Loon11 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:09 pm do most of you cancel old cards? I don't want to open another I won't use but the $200 for USAA is tempting.
Here is an entire separate thread about that question from a few days ago - happy reading :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=251895
Road2Freedom

Post by Road2Freedom »

Just received this from Chase Marriott. I signed up earlier this year for the 80,000 points and planned on keeping it since the free night more than covered the $85 annual fee (waived first year). Not sure if it is worth it now with the 25,000 point cap since most hotels seem to be higher than that.

Thoughts?

Your card will have updated benefits
• Beginning August 1, 2018, the Free Night Award you receive every year after account anniversary, will be valid for a one-night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level up to 25,000 points. This replaces the category 1-5 certificate you previously earned each account anniversary.1
• Coming in 2019, you will receive 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year instead of the 15 Elite Night Credits you received every year after your account anniversary.2

Also, beginning January 1, 2019, if you have more than one Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, or Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card, you will only receive a total of one 15 Elite Night Credits benefit per calendar year, which will be credited to one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts.2
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

Marriott points will get a downgrade, but earning SPG points now before the merger will be advantageous. I've been earning as many SPG points as I can.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

epicahab wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:04 am Marriott points will get a downgrade, but earning SPG points now before the merger will be advantageous. I've been earning as many SPG points as I can.
Can you elaborate? There is a fixed exchange rate ratio between SPG points and MR points (1:3), so whether you earn SPG points or MR points now doesn’t seem to matter if there is a devaluation.

Regarding the Marriott free night from the Visa card, I looked at the list of hotels and their award cost recently to see what happened to my go-to properties for using the free night.

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/ ... o=US&nt=PH

Turns out the free night is still useful for my needs. I also noticed that one property had fallen to 7500 points (so better to pay with points than the certificate).

That said, I will probably cancel the card and reapply for the new one to get a new bonus. Same with Hyatt and IHG, who also saw card refreshes recently.
Road2Freedom

Post by Road2Freedom »

TravelGeek wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:19 am
epicahab wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:04 am Marriott points will get a downgrade, but earning SPG points now before the merger will be advantageous. I've been earning as many SPG points as I can.
Can you elaborate? There is a fixed exchange rate ratio between SPG points and MR points (1:3), so whether you earn SPG points or MR points now doesn’t seem to matter if there is a devaluation.

Regarding the Marriott free night from the Visa card, I looked at the list of hotels and their award cost recently to see what happened to my go-to properties for using the free night.

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/ ... o=US&nt=PH

Turns out the free night is still useful for my needs. I also noticed that one property had fallen to 7500 points (so better to pay with points than the certificate).

That said, I will probably cancel the card and reapply for the new one to get a new bonus. Same with Hyatt and IHG, who also saw card refreshes recently.
Thanks for sharing the link. I looked at the place we stayed this week and it's going up 5,000 point to 35,000. It is a level 5, so would've been able to stay in it with the old program but unable to now with the point cap.
edge

Post by edge »

Fidelity 2% visa
Citi AAdvantage
epicahab

Post by epicahab »

Can you elaborate?
https://thepointsguy.com/news/maximize- ... g-combine/

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/analyzin ... -packages/

The consensus seems to be: earn SPG points now. The rate of earning will drop by 1/3 and there will still be some good redemptions post merger.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

epicahab wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 pm
Can you elaborate?
https://thepointsguy.com/news/maximize- ... g-combine/

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/analyzin ... -packages/

The consensus seems to be: earn SPG points now. The rate of earning will drop by 1/3 and there will still be some good redemptions post merger.
Ah, so you mean earning via SPG credit card spend? (which perhaps is logical given the thread :shock: :oops: ). Yes, that is correct.

I cancelled my SPG Amex card a few years ago, though. I always seemed to have better options to make it not worth paying the then newly increased AF.