What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
THY4373

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by THY4373 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:14 am

Prokofiev wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:49 pm
Last week I was denied the bonus for the AmEx Hilton card w/130k bonus points. I have never had a Hilton card. I am only 3/24 under the Chase rules (doesn't really apply, I know) and have a 815 FICO. I was very surprised. Why? The box said I either had this bonus before ( I haven't) or I have had too many cards opened or closed recently. Looks like they are tightening the rules and bonuses. Can't blame them . . .
This tends to happen (assuming you haven't had that particular card before) when you have applied for other Amex cards before and only put enough spend on them for the sign-up bonus. Assuming you have done that the way to get past this is to start putting some spend on any current Amex card you hold after a couple of months you may no longer have this issue.

blackholescion

Post by blackholescion » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:34 pm

I want to replace our BofA Travel Rewards (I'm tired of their fraud detection. Burned me one too many times. I've tried working with them, but any time I have to buy something like limited number of concert tickets, I seem to get burned).

Currently have Amex Blue Cash Preferred.

Debating getting Costco Visa for Costco + Gas (and international purchases) since we wouldn't have a Visa any more. However, need a daily driver. I'm somewhere between the Citi Double Cash or the slightly less convenient Amex Business Blue Plus for the 2x MR on every purchase up to 50k. We would come close to the 50k spend each year but not over as we do all of our recurrent spending and charity giving on a card wherever we can.

The inconvenience would be needing to make sure the travel is a good deal when transferring points to miles which takes time (first world problems). We fly Delta almost exclusively and our flights are 1-2 times a year either to Europe from the east coast or across to the west coast. Most of the time we travel it's to the beach which is at local places and we wouldn't be able to use any points to book.

Generally, I've been able to redeem skymiles at >=1.5 cents each so that gives me >=3% back on each dollar with this card, but I have to pay attention and know that we may not always be able to redeem at this value. I guess I'd be happy any time I get 1 cent per MR back since that's at least matching the double cash. The other drawback would be not being to just cash out the points since that's not a good value.

Anyone who does occasional travel and uses Amex MR and can chime in?

Thanks.

P.S., not interested in trying to remember rotating categories. That would make my wife lose her mind.

lakpr

Post by lakpr » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:42 pm

@blackholescion,

You may want to stick to either the Citi Double Cash, or Alliant Credit Union's Platinum Rewards visa. Straight 2% cash back (in Citi's case you get the second 1% after you pay back the charges), no muss no fuss, no annual fee on either ... I don't think it gets any simpler than that.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:08 pm

lakpr wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:42 pm
@blackholescion,

You may want to stick to either the Citi Double Cash, or Alliant Credit Union's Platinum Rewards visa. Straight 2% cash back (in Citi's case you get the second 1% after you pay back the charges), no muss no fuss, no annual fee on either ... I don't think it gets any simpler than that.
I recently got my Citi Double Cash MasterCard due to this thread, and I love it.
I've gotten used to shuffling between Citi Double Cash and the Citi Costco Visa. (i.e., gas on the Costco Visa-4% , regular grocery stores on the Double Cash-2%, restaurants on Costco Visa-3%, home improvements-Double Cash-2%). My new pricey health insurance can be charged on my Double Cash card, so that eases the pain a wee bit; I also charge all my prescriptions and doctor co-pays on that card. Oh, and Amazon Visa for Amazon purchases-5%.

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:10 pm

I got a targeted offer from Chase Ink business offering $2,000 cash back for spending $50k within 6 months of account opening. Best CC cash back deal I’ve ever seen. Anyone else get this?

elainet7

Post by elainet7 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 am

Got my 450 back for both of us from Td bank for opening cc and spending 500 in 3 mos. very nice free dollars

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:49 am

I’m currently hitting the AMEX Blue Business Cash. We received 15,000 Membership Rewards points when my wife referred me. I then will receive 2% cashback and $500 bonus after spending $15,000 in 12 months. We have some significant expenses coming up which will basically hit that $15k in the next 30 days. I also get 0% APR for 12 months which I will take advantage of.

I value MR points at $0.015 each so I have this as:

$225 in Membership Rewards
$500 bonus
$300 from spend
~$275 Interest on $15k in savings at 2% for 11 months

8.66% return on a large chunk of spend.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:54 am

BruDude wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:10 pm
I got a targeted offer from Chase Ink business offering $2,000 cash back for spending $50k within 6 months of account opening. Best CC cash back deal I’ve ever seen. Anyone else get this?
That’s only a 4% bonus. If you’re adverse to opening many cards and can easily hit that spend it’s fine, but you should be able to get far more than $2000 in bonuses for $50k in spend.

Compare it to opening day the Capital One Spark for $500 after $3000 spend. That’s a 16.6% bonus.

jsaver

Post by jsaver » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 am

blackholescion wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:34 pm
Between MR and Chase I had 300k points. I've rarely been able to use them when I wanted to. I finally realized (duh) that these points are only a good deal if you're willing to accept whatever travel deals are being offered, and you can't use them very often if you have specific plans. For example, I transferred a bunch of points to United to try to use them to upgrade to first class on a cross-country flight I take twice a year and I have yet to get that upgrade.

So I recently switched to a straight 2% cash back card which I'm using for almost everything. I also grabbed an AmEx Schwab Platinum so I can redeem the MR points to cash at 1.25 cpp. I'll spend enough to cover the sign-up bonus, then cancel my AmEx cards with membership fee. I plan to cancel my Chase Sapphire card too. The only annual fee card I plan to keep is a Chase United card.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:35 am

jsaver wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 am
Between MR and Chase I had 300k points. I've rarely been able to use them when I wanted to. I finally realized (duh) that these points are only a good deal if you're willing to accept whatever travel deals are being offered, and you can't use them very often if you have specific plans. For example, I transferred a bunch of points to United to try to use them to upgrade to first class on a cross-country flight I take twice a year and I have yet to get that upgrade.

So I recently switched to a straight 2% cash back card which I'm using for almost everything. I also grabbed an AmEx Schwab Platinum so I can redeem the MR points to cash at 1.25 cpp. I'll spend enough to cover the sign-up bonus, then cancel my AmEx cards with membership fee. I plan to cancel my Chase Sapphire card too. The only annual fee card I plan to keep is a Chase United card.
Using points requires flexibility and advance planning. In six years I have pretty much been able to get wherever I want to on points usually in premium cabins but this often requires some flexibility on dates, planning well ahead and having points across multiple carriers/alliances. Also it probably helps that most of my trips are international because in my experience international carriers are better at releasing award seats at least at the saver level. That said a 2% cash back card is hard to beat if you aren't willing to put in the time and effort to learn the burn side of the things.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:40 am

28fe6 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:37 pm
Is it possible to have Chase switch your type of card, even if you are over 5/24?

I really want a United card, but I think I'm over 5/24. I have a Freedom and Freedom Unlimited that I would gladly trade; I have heard about people converting cards before, but an airline card??
Chase only lets you change cards within the same brand. You could change one United card for another, or a Sapphire card for a Freedom one, but not a Freedom for a United or a Marriott for a Freedom.

natchez

Post by natchez » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 pm

This is a REALLY long and old thread so I may be covering old ground here, but in case not:

I use the Southwest Airlines card from Chase solely to get the companion pass and free flights. In the 8 or 9 years we have been "earning" the companion pass we have almost never paid money for a flight unless on another airline. This works as we live in a city served by Southwest and we, and the kids, travel often to other cities that have Southwest flights. One of the kids attends college in a city served by Southwest and we are constantly flying the kid back and forth via flights obtained with points. I earn the companion pass by spending, not by flying, because every flight I take is with points so my "flying" component is always at zero, and my spouse (or child or whoever) flies with me for free. And I can book well in advance flights for the family for trips I am not positive we are going to take, then if the trip doesn't work out, I can cancel and get all of the miles back and use them for the next trip. It's a great card and program. I've already earned the next companion pass that will take us through December 2020. I'll keep doing this at least as long as my kid is in college because the volume of SWA flights we need is so high.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:57 pm

blackholescion wrote:
I want to replace our BofA Travel Rewards (I'm tired of their fraud detection. Burned me one too many times. I've tried working with them, but any time I have to buy something like limited number of concert tickets, I seem to get burned).

Debating getting Costco Visa for Costco + Gas (and international purchases) since we wouldn't have a Visa any more. However, need a daily driver. I'm somewhere between the Citi Double Cash or the slightly less convenient Amex Business Blue Plus for the 2x MR on every purchase up to 50k. We would come close to the 50k spend each year but not over as we do all of our recurrent spending and charity giving on a card wherever we can.

The inconvenience would be needing to make sure the travel is a good deal when transferring points to miles which takes time (first world problems). We fly Delta almost exclusively and our flights are 1-2 times a year either to Europe from the east coast or across to the west coast. Most of the time we travel it's to the beach which is at local places and we wouldn't be able to use any points to book.

Generally, I've been able to redeem skymiles at >=1.5 cents each so that gives me >=3% back on each dollar with this card, but I have to pay attention and know that we may not always be able to redeem at this value. I guess I'd be happy any time I get 1 cent per MR back since that's at least matching the double cash. The other drawback would be not being to just cash out the points since that's not a good value.

Thanks.

P.S., not interested in trying to remember rotating categories. That would make my wife lose her mind.
If you're in a Skyteam exclusive hub like ATL, then transferring to either Delta or to Flying Blue is going to be an important use of your Amex points. Be sure to check Flying Blue though, I bet that's usually a better deal than Delta for Skyteam flights.

My personal experience with Amex points, coming from a Star Alliance hub (ORD), is that I've mostly transferred them to Aeroplan for flights to Europe. Biz class one way is 55K to Western Europe and 57.5K to Eastern Europe. You have to avoid Lufthansa, Austrian, and Air Canada metal coz they'll screw you with exorbitant fuel surcharges.

Of course even if you're in ATL, you can still fly Star Alliance to Europe, it just usually requires a domestic leg first.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Bfwolf wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:57 pm
blackholescion wrote:

Thanks.

If you're in a Skyteam exclusive hub like ATL, then transferring to either Delta or to Flying Blue is going to be an important use of your Amex points. Be sure to check Flying Blue though, I bet that's usually a better deal than Delta for Skyteam flights.

My personal experience with Amex points, coming from a Star Alliance hub (ORD), is that I've mostly transferred them to Aeroplan for flights to Europe. Biz class one way is 55K to Western Europe and 57.5K to Eastern Europe. You have to avoid Lufthansa, Austrian, and Air Canada metal coz they'll screw you with exorbitant fuel surcharges.

Of course even if you're in ATL, you can still fly Star Alliance to Europe, it just usually requires a domestic leg first.
Now you can transfer to Avianca and there are no fuel charges passed through :sharebeer

jsaver

Post by jsaver » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:38 pm

natchez wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 pm
This is a REALLY long and old thread so I may be covering old ground here, but in case not:

I use the Southwest Airlines card from Chase solely to get the companion pass and free flights. In the 8 or 9 years we have been "earning" the companion pass we have almost never paid money for a flight unless on another airline. This works as we live in a city served by Southwest and we, and the kids, travel often to other cities that have Southwest flights. One of the kids attends college in a city served by Southwest and we are constantly flying the kid back and forth via flights obtained with points. I earn the companion pass by spending, not by flying, because every flight I take is with points so my "flying" component is always at zero, and my spouse (or child or whoever) flies with me for free. And I can book well in advance flights for the family for trips I am not positive we are going to take, then if the trip doesn't work out, I can cancel and get all of the miles back and use them for the next trip. It's a great card and program. I've already earned the next companion pass that will take us through December 2020. I'll keep doing this at least as long as my kid is in college because the volume of SWA flights we need is so high.
Looking at SW's site I find this:

"How do I Earn Companion Pass? Simply fly 100 qualifying one-way flights or earn 110,000 qualifying points in a calendar year, and you'll earn Companion Pass"

Both the Premier and Priority cards earn 1 point per dollar on normal purchases. You get 6K anniversary points every year on the priority card. So you have to spend $104K to get a companion pass? The companion pass is basically a 50% discount for a full year and a bit. Meanwhile the card costs $99/year. On a 2% card w/no annual fee that 104K is worth $2080. That would cover 3-4 flights or whatever else you want to spend it on.

So to be worthwhile, you need a huge spend and also need to fly 3-4x in the next year with a companion, I guess.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:52 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Now you can transfer to Avianca and there are no fuel charges passed through :sharebeer
That's true, I forgot about Avianca. The watch-out with them is 2 fold:

1) Not all the availability you'd see with United or Aeroplan is at Avianca.

2) Their customer service is much worse than United or Aeroplan if you end up needing to call somebody.

Avianca is also a bit more expensive to Europe in biz class than Aeroplan....I believe 63K miles.

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:02 pm

For the Southwest companion pass, one of us would open both credit cards and get it early in the calendar year and the following year. Subsequently, the other one of us would do it. Rinse and repeat.

We moved and our local airport as well as our entire state isn’t served by Southwest so we don’t utilize it any more.

It did have a lot of value. We essentially had unlimited buy one get one free airfare. It easily saved us in excess of $5k.
Last edited by jbmitt on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

investor997

Post by investor997 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 pm

jsaver wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:38 pm
Looking at SW's site I find this:

"How do I Earn Companion Pass? Simply fly 100 qualifying one-way flights or earn 110,000 qualifying points in a calendar year, and you'll earn Companion Pass"

Both the Premier and Priority cards earn 1 point per dollar on normal purchases. You get 6K anniversary points every year on the priority card. So you have to spend $104K to get a companion pass? The companion pass is basically a 50% discount for a full year and a bit. Meanwhile the card costs $99/year. On a 2% card w/no annual fee that 104K is worth $2080. That would cover 3-4 flights or whatever else you want to spend it on.

So to be worthwhile, you need a huge spend and also need to fly 3-4x in the next year with a companion, I guess.
You don't need to spend $104K. The credit card sign-up bonus is presently 40K points for $1K in spend so you've got 69K points to go. Still a lot but not insurmountable. You just need to get creative. You can earn a LOT of points by using shopping portals and the Southwest hotel site where you can sometimes find hotels that pay 10K points *per night*. For example, last year I paid $425 to spend a night at the Ritz-Carlton hotel on Maui in exchange for 10,850 points (10K from the hotel site and 2*425 put on the Southwest VISA, which pays 2X points at many hotel chains).

Other folks sign up for two Southwest cards at once (business + personal) so they can bag *two* sign-up bonuses. That will sometimes get you nearly all of the 110K points all in one shot.

jsaver

Post by jsaver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:05 am

investor997 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 pm
You don't need to spend $104K. The credit card sign-up bonus is presently 40K points for $1K in spend so you've got 69K points to go. Still a lot but not insurmountable. You just need to get creative. You can earn a LOT of points by using shopping portals and the Southwest hotel site where you can sometimes find hotels that pay 10K points *per night*. For example, last year I paid $425 to spend a night at the Ritz-Carlton hotel on Maui in exchange for 10,850 points (10K from the hotel site and 2*425 put on the Southwest VISA, which pays 2X points at many hotel chains).

Other folks sign up for two Southwest cards at once (business + personal) so they can bag *two* sign-up bonuses. That will sometimes get you nearly all of the 110K points all in one shot.
Sure, I'm aware of all the tricks but was replying to someone who seems to just have this as their every day card and isn't jumping though hoops. You can't get the SUB every year. There's obviously folks who enjoy chasing these bonuses. I'm just sticking to 2% cash back from now on.

ndpage

Post by ndpage » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:29 am

I've simplified my strategy over time as many of the category bonuses i used to have dried up. I carry four credit cards and one fee-rebated debit/ATM cards (with a second one in reserve at home).

- Amex Platinum: Delta SkyClub and PriorityPass Lounge access (I travel a lot for both business and personal) and $200 in Uber credit offset the high annual fee. Plus it's my oldest card, over 25 years. Effective 7% return on airfare (5x MR category) on American Airlines via a 40% bonus to British Airways. Non-stop one-way award flights under 1150 miles on American are 15k BA miles with only a $6 cancelation penalty vs $300-$400 cash.

- Amex Delta: My next $2k/month goes on this. It helps me maintain Platinum level status instead of Gold. Complicated math that is person-specific, but for me it comes out to conservatively 4% for benefits ($1000 on $25k spend) and 1.2% for the miles. All my monthly autopay that can go on a credit card lands here.

- Everything else domestically except Costco goes on a Citi 2% CB card.

- Costco is Visa-only so it goes on my Chase BA Visa. I also put all my overseas vacation spending on it to protect my main three cards from fraud.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:59 pm

ndpage wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:29 am
I've simplified my strategy over time as many of the category bonuses i used to have dried up. I carry four credit cards and one fee-rebated debit/ATM cards (with a second one in reserve at home).

- Amex Platinum: Delta SkyClub and PriorityPass Lounge access (I travel a lot for both business and personal) and $200 in Uber credit offset the high annual fee. Plus it's my oldest card, over 25 years. Effective 7% return on airfare (5x MR category) on American Airlines via a 40% bonus to British Airways. Non-stop one-way award flights under 1150 miles on American are 15k BA miles with only a $6 cancelation penalty vs $300-$400 cash.

- Amex Delta: My next $2k/month goes on this. It helps me maintain Platinum level status instead of Gold. Complicated math that is person-specific, but for me it comes out to conservatively 4% for benefits ($1000 on $25k spend) and 1.2% for the miles. All my monthly autopay that can go on a credit card lands here.

- Everything else domestically except Costco goes on a Citi 2% CB card.

- Costco is Visa-only so it goes on my Chase BA Visa. I also put all my overseas vacation spending on it to protect my main three cards from fraud.
What is your rationale for having Chase BA be your Visa card? Surely you can do better than collecting avios.

changingtimes

Post by changingtimes » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:57 pm

After a big spurt of getting new cards at the end of July, I've settled on this:

AmEx Blue Preferred for 6% cash back on groceries and streaming
Chase Freedom for 5% cash back/Unlimited Rewards pts in revolving categories (gas right now) -- already got the 15,000-pt bonus
Amazon Prime for 5% Amazon/WF and 2% drugstores
Cap One Savor for dining, 4% cash back (to get the $300 sign-up bonus)
Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3% UR points travel (and eventually dining). Already used up the $300 travel credit, and will be reupping PreChek later this year--already got the 50k point bonus
Chase Freedom Unlimited 1.5% cash back/UR points
Hilton Amex Surpass for Hilton spending (already got the 130k points) and will go for $15k spend for a free weekend night

On the two Freedom cards, I can then move those points to my Reserve account so that those points are then worth 1.5%.

I also opened a Chase checking and savings account to get the $600 bonus.

Very complicated, but I'm single, so I can handle it. :-) Wish we had had these cards when DH was still around, with all of our eating out and traveling!

blackholescion

Post by blackholescion » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:51 am

jsaver wrote:
blackholescion wrote:

THY4373 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:35 am
jsaver wrote:

Using points requires flexibility and advance planning. In six years I have pretty much been able to get wherever I want to on points usually in premium cabins but this often requires some flexibility on dates, planning well ahead and having points across multiple carriers/alliances. Also it probably helps that most of my trips are international because in my experience international carriers are better at releasing award seats at least at the saver level. That said a 2% cash back card is hard to beat if you aren't willing to put in the time and effort to learn the burn side of the things.
Bfwolf wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:57 pm
blackholescion wrote:

Thanks.

Thank you all for the great information! My use case would be a straight transfer to Delta and use the miles from there. I haven't seen too many cases of at least economy not being available for 1.3 cents valuation or higher. After doing some math, that extra 0.6-1.2% average would translate to somewhere around $150-$300 extra dollars a year on this card (25k spend or so). That's probably not worth the effort, despite having the opportunity to cash in at a much higher value on premium class flights. For Europe we are flexible. For the domestic flights, it's holidayish flights to see relatives and we don't mind economy for those since there's direct flights. I could still get mileage tickets today for winter travel this year at 1.3 cents per mile.

Not in ATL, but in the SE. Still have direct flights via Delta and Alsakan to where we need to go.

Sounds like I'm going to go with the 2% card for the ease of use. Thank you again for the great information!

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:15 am

Bfwolf wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:59 pm
What is your rationale for having Chase BA be your Visa card? Surely you can do better than collecting avios.
Agreed heck there are better Amex and Chase cards for earning Avios if that is your thing. I see only two reasons to hold the Chase BA card.

The travel together cert if you are putting $30k on your card in a year.
The $200 rebate x3 on their insane surcharges but only ex-US.

The above features are only good when flying on BA metal and thus you are stuck with their insane surcharges. The only reasons I could see for somebody wanting either are those willing to pay premium to fly direct to London in either business or first class.

Oh I guess there is the 10% discount on paid BA tickets too.

ndpage

Post by ndpage » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Bfwolf wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:59 pm

Inertia.. ;) I had an old wonderful Citi Forward Visa that gave me 4.75% on restaurants that I used for years and they ended the program. I had gotten the BA card for the original 100k bonus and the lack of an overseas exchange fee. The only place that takes Visa and not MC is Costco, so I don't worry about it much.

I value Avios at about 1.7% as I have a very targeted domestic short-haul use for them, such as buying tickets at peak at Thanksgiving when the coach fare is $280 vs. 15k+$11 round trip. I will eventually get a different Visa, but I rarely spend more than $100/month on it so it's not a high priority.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:00 am

Question about the Capital One Rewards program (which is now transferrable).

Are the Rewards earned by different Capital One cards aggregated ? I have a business Capital One card with an Awards balance and I am wondering if I get a personal card with awards (such as the Venture) and cancel the business card, I can still xfer the old award points/miles earned with the biz card via the personal card.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:24 pm

jsaver wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:05 am
investor997 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 pm

Sure, I'm aware of all the tricks but was replying to someone who seems to just have this as their every day card and isn't jumping though hoops. You can't get the SUB every year. There's obviously folks who enjoy chasing these bonuses. I'm just sticking to 2% cash back from now on.
I got my companion pass by applying for 2 SW cards. One personal (40K) and the other is business (60K). We always aim to get our 110K in January so our pass would last for at least 23 months. Rinse and repeat every two years.

TravelforFun

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:47 pm

natchez wrote: ... I use the Southwest Airlines card from Chase solely to get the companion pass and free flights. In the 8 or 9 years we have been "earning" the companion pass ...
How have you been earning a companion pass for 8 or 9 years? Restrictions on the frequency with which it will be rewarded would seem to make the award only intermittent. I.e., there will be years during which you won't have one.

ndpage

Post by ndpage » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:05 pm

In the past, my friends with companion passes would shove 110k worth if Marriott points over and they counted as CP-earning, but that loophole has been closed.

This thread got me to get off my butt and pick up a Chase Sapphire Reservev as my Visa. In addition to the 60k bonus for $4k in spend just as I have to pay estimated taxes on a stock sale, it gives me primary rental car CDW, and the points are flexible.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:07 am

My credit card rewards strategy is closely tied to my travel strategy.

Last summer I have tested my new travel strategy of flying to Europe on a daytime flight. I spent a lot of time on preparation, developing a detailed itinerary and looking into minute details such as shuttle pick ups and bus schedules. As the result, my strategy worked flawlessly. Its components included:
1. Night at IAD before the flight at a Holiday Inn with a free shuttle; 15k IHG points.
2. Daytime IAD-LHR flight on UA; 30k UA miles and $6 in taxes.
3. Night at LHR after the daytime flight at Ibis. ~$112, including a fee for a late checkout up at 5 PM.
4. Flight LHR-LUX on BA. Used a flexible option using ~$100 and some BA miles.
5. Ibis-Budget near LUX. About $70.

The total cost of 30k UA miles + 15k IHG points + $300 cash was much lower than flying overnight on a flat bed in Business and then getting to my European destination.

The quality of my European trip was much higher that my usual trips when I did not get a full night sleep. Note that the lack of sleep is a separate issue from a jet lag. People usually lump them together, but for me, lack of sleep has a much stronger impact than a 5-6 hour time zone change.

This winter, I will use a similar itinerary to fly to Marseilles. I have booked a multi-city reward trip on the UA web site with 3 segments:
1. IAD-LHR (daytime flight)
2. LHR-MRS
3. MRS-IAD
Using a so-called excursionist fare, I paid 60k miles and ~$100 in fees.

Next summer, I will be flying to Europe similarly to this summer, except that instead of paying for a late checkout from Ibis at LHR, I will fly Business class on BA from LHR to LUX. This business class ticket was remarkably cheap at ~$130 and it came with the use of the BA lounge at LHR.

Considering my new itinerary for the foreseeable future, my most important credit cards are:
- Chase-Ink Preferred: 3x for travel expenses
- Chase Mileage Plus Explorer: Access to restricted ticket inventory, priority boarding, free checked-in luggage, 2 United lounge passes
- Chase IHG Premier

I have other cards, but the ones I listed above directly support my preferred travel strategy. These cards cost me ~$300 in annual fees, which I consider money well spent.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:23 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:07 am
Last summer I have tested my new travel strategy of flying to Europe on a daytime flight.
I have adopted a similar strategy for visiting my son in Rio. Overnight in Miami, then a daytime flight to Rio (connection in São Paulo).

I call it BBC (Bogle business class).

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:36 pm

I think as of today most travel hackers can do exceptionally well with:

Amex Gold: 4x MR restaurants and groceries
Blue Business Plus: 2x MR everywhere
Citi Double Cash: 2.5% towards travel or 2x TYP when paired with...
Citi Premier: 3x TYP travel

Purchase protections are going the way of the dodo so I am becoming less concerned about it.

Independent George

Post by Independent George » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:44 pm

Based on 2019, I think I'm going to cash out my Chase Freedom rewards and find a new primary card; their rotating categories are just not worth it for me anymore. I've got an Amazon Prime card for my Amazon shopping (which is my primary retailer), and I use Rakuten for rewards on more specialized stores like Backcountry or Newegg. Beyond that, most of my spending is at grocery stores, or restaurants. I live in the city and use public transport (paid for pretax using WageWorks), so gas stations are not a priority for me. I don't travel much outside of the holidays.

Any advice on what my strategy should be going forward? I prefer to consolidate my rewards to as few cards as possible, as I really don't spend especially much (under $900/month in 2019). My biggest categories are Groceries (~4k/year), Amazon (~2k/year), and Restaurants (~1.5k/year).

Right now, the frontrunners are:

1. Capital One SavorOne Card: no annual fee, $150 bonus for spending $500 in the first 3 months, 3% on restaurants, 2% on groceries, 1% on all other categories.
2. Capital One Savor Card: no annual fee in the first year, $95 thereafter; $300 bonus on spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, 4% on restaurants, 2% on groceries, 1% on all other categores.
3. Citi DoubleCash: 2% flat reward (1% on purchase, 1% on payment)

I'm leaning towards a combination of #s 2 and 3. Historically, my big spending months are May/June/July (with a lot of that spending going towards restaurants while on vacation), so I could theoretically take the Savor card then to get the rewards, then apply for Citi DoubleCash in August, then either cancel the Savor card or switch to SavorOne before the fee is due. Regardless, DoubleCash would be my primary card after taking the rewards on the Savor card.

Has anyone experience with the savor card? Is there a penalty for canceling my card after less than a year?

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 pm

I am very satisfied with my current reward card. New credit card will damage my FICO score and affect my future mortgage refin rate. let same I want to refin 400K. a 0.25% penalty will cost me 400,000x0.025% $1000 a year for 30 years. No new reward card game for me. I already got 2% Fidelity card, 4% Costco Visa and 3% Chase reserve reward. If I don't have money, I don't travelm, I don't buy new things. If I have money, I will bargain to the lowest flight and hotel possible. Sorry, no new reward credit card for me.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Prokofiev wrote:
Last week I was denied the bonus for the AmEx Hilton card w/130k bonus points. I have never had a Hilton card. I am only 3/24 under the Chase rules (doesn't really apply, I know) and have a 815 FICO. I was very surprised. Why? The box said I either had this bonus before ( I haven't) or I have had too many cards opened or closed recently. Looks like they are tightening the rules and bonuses. Can't blame them . . .
This is known as 'the pop-up' in the churning world and it sucks. It's the damn Amex RAT that put some algorithm in place to try to reduce the bonuses given to churners.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:54 am

Independent George wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:44 pm
Has anyone experience with the savor card? Is there a penalty for canceling my card after less than a year?
I looked into the Savor card because I eat out quite a bit. I tried to convert my Quicksilver card (which I never use, since it only pays 1.5% cash back and both my Citi Double Cash and Fidelity cards pay 2% cash back on everything), but Capital One refused to let me do so. I ended up getting an Uber card from Barclays, which pays 4% cash back at restaurants without an annual fee. (In case it's not obvious, I care primarily about long-term bonus categories and not about sign-on bonuses.)

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:20 am

BW1985 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:16 pm
Prokofiev wrote:
This is known as 'the pop-up' in the churning world and it sucks. It's the damn Amex RAT that put some algorithm in place to try to reduce the bonuses given to churners.
It's good that they do it *before* running the credit check, so an applicant can know they're not eligible without taking the hit of a query. Not to mention that this reduces (maybe even eliminates) the possibility of being denied the bonus after spending.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:41 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:20 am
BW1985 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:16 pm
Prokofiev wrote:
It's good that they do it *before* running the credit check, so an applicant can know they're not eligible without taking the hit of a query. Not to mention that this reduces (maybe even eliminates) the possibility of being denied the bonus after spending.
True, although once you've established a relationship with Amex they usually don't do hard pulls anyways. When I apply for cards they no longer do a hard pull. If you signed up for a card with a bonus, met the terms and then they didn't pay out the bonus I would definitely be filing a complaint with the CFPB and bugging the hell out of them from all methods of communication. That would be fraud.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:15 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:41 pm
If you signed up for a card with a bonus, met the terms and then they didn't pay out the bonus I would definitely be filing a complaint with the CFPB and bugging the hell out of them from all methods of communication. That would be fraud.
If the T&C of an offer (Amex or other) say once in x months (and give the card issuer wide latitude in denying the bonus) and you are allowed to signup, and meet the spending requirements, I don't see how you have a case if you don't get the bonus.

For Amex, this might not have been an issue since they are typically once in a lifetime, but I do remember hearing of bonuses not being given out because you didn't meet the bonus waiting period requirements even if you did get the card. For brokerage bonuses it's not uncommon.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:25 pm

Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:15 pm
BW1985 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:41 pm
If you signed up for a card with a bonus, met the terms and then they didn't pay out the bonus I would definitely be filing a complaint with the CFPB and bugging the hell out of them from all methods of communication. That would be fraud.
If the T&C of an offer (Amex or other) say once in x months (and give the card issuer wide latitude in denying the bonus) and you are allowed to signup, and meet the spending requirements, I don't see how you have a case if you don't get the bonus.

For Amex, this might not have been an issue since they are typically once in a lifetime, but I do remember hearing of bonuses not being given out because you didn't meet the bonus waiting period requirements even if you did get the card. For brokerage bonuses it's not uncommon.
This is correct and I'm not referring to that situation. I'm referring to when you've never had a card before, so eligible by their terms, and they deny the bonus anyways after the fact.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:54 pm

So about three months ago i went from having the same CC for the past 15 years to.. several. I had some home repair expenses that i could use to achieve much of the min spend to get the sign up bonuses. It's now been a little over three months and this is what i've actually got/redeemed so far:

Amex (pooled from two cards): 132,721 (at 1.5cpp that's $1,991)
Amex Gold Offers: $35
Amex Gold credits: $100 airline credit (Jetblue seat upgrades), $10*3month Grubhub = $130
Annual fee: $250 + $0

Amex BBP Offers: $93.52

Chase (pooled from two cards): 149,410 (at 1.5cpp that's $2,241)
Annual fee: CIP $95 + CSP $95

Chase Amazon/Wholefoods: $177.88 cash back

JetBlue Plus points: 79,534 (at 1.3cpp that's $1,034)
credits: $100 JetBlue vacation credit (upcoming trip), free checked bags: 4x$30 = $120 = $220
Annual fee: $95

Citi DoubleCash: $330 cash back

Total: $6,252 - $535 in fees = $5,717!

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Does anyone know if you can re apply for Discover IT card to get bonus again? I want to do it for the $75 Amazon credit. I've had it and canceled it.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Just received my Uber Visa. It’s a no annual fee card that pays out 4% for dining. And also $50 credit in subscription services if you reach $5,000 in spend a year.

That is the equivalent of getting 5% back on dining if you put $5,000 in dining on the card.

Not bad for a free card that doesn’t require any hoops.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:34 am

Does anyone have any recent experience with using Visa gift cards to make estimated or (otherwise due) payments to the IRS?

Do the IRS payment portals accept gift cards for payment? thank you
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:21 am

pennstater2005 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:57 pm
Does anyone know if you can re apply for Discover IT card to get bonus again? I want to do it for the $75 Amazon credit. I've had it and canceled it.
Surely there are other cards you can apply for that give you more than a $75 payback ? Really not even $75, more like $30 if you already have an Amazon card.

jabroni

Post by jabroni » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:59 am

We've earned the signup bonus on 3 cards so far this year and are now working on the Southwest Companion Pass for early next year, which will essentially double the value of Rapid Rewards points for a couple years.

Earned:
Chase Ultimate Rewards: 147,231 ($1,472 cash value, $2,208 travel value)
Southwest Rapid Rewards: 13,884 ($0 cash value, $208 travel value)
Cash Back from Capital One: $654

Fees Paid:
Chase Ink Business Preferred: $95
Southwest Business Performance: $199
Capital One Savor: Waived
Chase Sapphire Preferred: Waived
Southwest Premier: Offsetting statement credit

Profit:
Cash Value: $1,734
Travel Value: $2,678

That's a pretty good side gig for something that I only have to spend a couple hours on every 3-4 months.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:11 am

Barefootgirl wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:34 am
Does anyone have any recent experience with using Visa gift cards to make estimated or (otherwise due) payments to the IRS?

Do the IRS payment portals accept gift cards for payment? thank you
I've only used credit cards so I don't have any direct experience but the IRS site says both debit/credit cards are accepted and
https://www.giftcards.com/gcgf/visa-giftcard-vs-credit says that a gift card can be used as either debit/credit card
so I would guess that it would work.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:18 am

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:21 am
pennstater2005 wrote:
Surely there are other cards you can apply for that give you more than a $75 payback ? Really not even $75, more like $30 if you already have an Amazon card.
This is just for the Amazon credit. I’ve done a lot of cards with cash back ranging from $50-$500. I just want to know if it is a card you can re apply for and get the bonus again. Some let you some don’t.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:13 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:18 am
pennstater2005 wrote:
This is just for the Amazon credit. I’ve done a lot of cards with cash back ranging from $50-$500. I just want to know if it is a card you can re apply for and get the bonus again. Some let you some don’t.
Oh, I thought you were talking about amazon being a 5% category this quarter in Discover IT, i.e. 5% back for $1500 max = $75.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:27 pm

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:13 pm
pennstater2005 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:18 am
pennstater2005 wrote:
Oh, I thought you were talking about amazon being a 5% category this quarter in Discover IT, i.e. 5% back for $1500 max = $75.
Oh, okay :D There’s a Leatherman Skeletool CX I want but would like to get it with the credit if possible.