What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
MichCPA

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by MichCPA »

oxothuk wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:06 pm
kmurp wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:11 am Could I avoid the need to get the additional card by just “loading” her card onto my iPhone wallet?
You could certainly do that, but I've found ApplePay acceptance to be far from universal.
Apple Pay is mostly accepted by fast casual and fast food restaurants. If one is looking for Chase points right now there is a targeted offer for 4x Chase point on everything for the Freedom Unlimited (1st year). Check Card Match and Chase to see what you are approved for. Even the public offer of 3x would match the CSR and you could use it anywhere.
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

I don't have any use for miles or any other reward other than cash.

I have a Capital One card that pays 1.5% cash back on everything. This is my main card.

I also have a Chase card that pays 1% on every purchase plus 5% cash back on revolving categories. I use this only for any purchases in the 5% category for that quarter.

I also recently got a Discover Card with the same rewards structure as the Chase card. We do our grocery shopping at a chain (Woodmans) where until very recently it was cash/check/debit only, no credit cards. Their prices are significantly lower than every other grocery in town (at least in part because they don't need to build in the retailer fee from credit cards), and it was worth it to forgo any rewards we might have gotten shopping elsewhere with a credit card. However, within the last month they have started accepting Discover card, apparently because the fee that Discover charges them is low enough that they are willing to eat it. I'll use the Discover card for our grocery shopping plus any purchases in the 5% category in that quarter.
All_About_Benjis

Post by All_About_Benjis »

I'm curious about the best methods to use rewards points once earned - i.e., what are some of the best values?

As background, we have about 600k Chase reward points, and I'd like to use them for a multi-week vacation sometime in the next couple years. Are they best used through the Chase portal? On hotels? Transferred to an airline for an around the world ticket (is that still a thing)? I'd appreciate people's thoughts on this.
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

All_About_Benjis wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:21 pm I'm curious about the best methods to use rewards points once earned - i.e., what are some of the best values?

As background, we have about 600k Chase reward points, and I'd like to use them for a multi-week vacation sometime in the next couple years. Are they best used through the Chase portal? On hotels? Transferred to an airline for an around the world ticket (is that still a thing)? I'd appreciate people's thoughts on this.
It depends on how you define "value". If you just go by how much $ the ticket cost / how many points, then the highest value redemptions are usually by transferring points to partner airlines and purchasing business/first class international travel. However, some people would argue that this is over-inflating the value of points, unless you would have been willing to pay cash for business, the value is something lower. You can search out various blogs that focus on frequent flier miles, and they talk about ways to find the best value.

My understanding is that Hyatt is the only hotel partner worth considering for Chase points, but generally the airlines give better value than the hotels.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

kmurp wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:11 am Could I avoid the need to get the additional card by just “loading” her card onto my iPhone wallet?
You could certainly do that, but I've found ApplePay acceptance to be far from universal.
In US ApplePay is not universal, but in Europe is everywhere.
PinkPonies777

Post by PinkPonies777 »

guitarguy wrote: Wed May 25, 2016 10:15 am There are lots of threads that talk about what the best credit card deals are, ones specific to travel rewards, best cash back cards, etc. I thought it might be helpful to have everyone post their strategy they have for earning/redeeming/maximizing credit card rewards. This would be good info, and wouldn't be specific to any one type of card or type of reward. It also wouldn't really take into account signup bonuses...rather than churning for bonuses I think it's interesting to know what cards we keep for the long haul and continually use. It could also help those of us who might try to go for both cash back and other perks at the same time because the thread won't be confined to discussing one or the other.

Some good areas to address are:

Goal. Are you out to earn cash back, travel points, hotels, or other perks, airline miles, etc? Anything else you're out to achieve by using rewards credit cards?

Cards. Your cards, their rewards (i.e. what % back on what types of purchases) and other perks, fees, limits, and how you use them strategically (i.e. use this card for that, etc)

Rewards. How you redeem. For cash back it's pretty cut and dry, but could also include when you redeem. Save up all for holiday spending or get it monthly? For points/miles/etc it could be good to know how you transfer them, what specifically you spend them on, etc, to get the most out of them.

Final Thoughs. Any other details we might find interesting. Get your Jerry Springer on.

I'll start.

Goal. We try to maximize cash back. It's easy to follow and it's all earned on stuff we would buy regardless.

Cards. We regularly use 5 cards:

1. Amex BlueCash Preferred
  • 6% back on groceries ($6k limit - which we hover on annually), 3% at dept stores, 1% on everything else
  • $75 annual fee
  • Used for groceries and when we (very rarely) shop at a dept store
2. PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Plus Visa
  • 5% back on gas, no foreign transaction fee
  • $0 annual fee
  • Used for gas and as needed when we travel abroad
3. Chase Amazon Rewards Visa
  • 3% back on Amazon purchases, 2% back on gas, restaurants, drug stores, 1% on everything else
  • $0 annual fee
  • Used for Amazon purchases only
4. Citi Double Cash MasterCard
  • 2% back on all purchases (1% on purchases, and 1% on payments)
  • $0 annual fee
  • Generally used for anything that we buy that can't yield higher than 2% elsewhere
5. Chase Freedom Visa
  • 5% back on quarterly rotating categories up to $1500 per quarter, 1% on everything else
  • $0 annual fee
  • Used for the 5% rotating categories only. The categories are typically some form of gas, grocery, restaurants, and holiday shopping. We skip the gas quarter and just use PenFed as always. Typically we max the out the $1500 limit on Home Depot or other gift cards (for things we will buy anyways) at the grocery store during that quarter, and we use it when we eat at restaurants during that quarter (but we never hit $1500...that would be un-Boglehead-like I suppose :mrgreen: ). For holiday shopping we use it as applicable, and if Amazon is included we use this instead of the Amazon Visa during that timeframe.
Rewards. Redeeming is pretty straight forward for us. I typically redeem on a monthly basis.

Final Thoughs. Overall, although we have to juggle a few cards and I occasionally get a text from the wife about what card should I use today...I think our strategy is pretty sound. Carry one card for groceries, one for gas, one for everything else, now and then mind the quarterly rotating 5% categories, and leave that Amazon visa as the account default. Rewarding and not terribly complicated. 8-)
Point 2. Thanks for PenFed card tip.
Point 3. Get the black Amazon Prime card - 5% on all Amazon orders and Whole Foods.

Use a labeling machine and put a sticker on top corner of each card. Ex. 1 card would get labeled "gas"; another card labeled "groceries ".
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

Starfish wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:17 pm
In Western Europe it has pretty high acceptance. The exclusions being Austria, the Netherlands and Italy. Austria and the Netherlands love cash and some stores will only take Maestro debit. The latter has credit minimums and the credit terminal is always down until you say all you have is credit to pay for your 15 EUR meal and then it somehow magically becomes operational. Point well taken, though. On the whole, even including Eastern Europe, uptake is higher than in the U.S.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

All_About_Benjis wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:21 pm I'm curious about the best methods to use rewards points once earned - i.e., what are some of the best values?

Where do you want to go, how many people are you taking, how long, when are you going, what does "value" mean to you? If you are looking in 2021 and beyond, then I would check back next year. Some of the sweet spots will have gone the way of the dodo, so anything we say now is subject to change. A year ago I would have told you that United could have provided great value due to no surcharges on international awards, but they are going dynamic and who knows what will happen to their partner awards by this time next year. KrisFlyer is another one that has seen better days and a couple of years ago I would have told you that they had a ton of value. FlyingBlue could be if they happen to have a promo award at the time. Virgin Atlantic has some sweet spots. Hyatt is the best hotel partner, hands down, but the odds of them being where you want them isn't amazing. The 1.5X on UR points with the Reserve is decent, but depending on the answers to the question above, 600,000 points may not get you everything you want.
robertw477

Post by robertw477 »

The best Chase redemptions will be transferring points to Hyatt for hotels, although if you have Chase Sapphire Pref they are worth 1.5% in the CHase hotel portal so you have to check which redemption is cheaper for Hyatt. Usually, Hyatt is cheaped but that may vary.

For airfare the best value is business or first class tickets overseas. Those would be transferred to airline programs once you confirm the right space is there. If you are talking domestic then see the above comment about 1.5% if you have Chase SP.

I am an expert in this stuff. 600K is not that many points. I stay at the best places and usually get the best flights. Dont mess with coach going overseas
Not worth it.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

BeneIRA wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:25 pm
Starfish wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:17 pm
In Western Europe it has pretty high acceptance. The exclusions being Austria, the Netherlands and Italy. Austria and the Netherlands love cash and some stores will only take Maestro debit. The latter has credit minimums and the credit terminal is always down until you say all you have is credit to pay for your 15 EUR meal and then it somehow magically becomes operational. Point well taken, though. On the whole, even including Eastern Europe, uptake is higher than in the U.S.

Actually I misspoke. I visited this year only one country in Eastern Europe. The acceptance rate there is pretty much 99%. I struggled to find a place that would not take Applepay. From the smallest coffee shop and an obscure neighborhood to the ticketing system inside the buses and trams I could use it everywhere. Restaurants, bars, stores, doctor's bills, you name it. I am talking about amounts like 60c for a tram ticket. Or 50c for a coffee at a coffee machine. Instead of putting coins/bills in, you bring your phone near. (These are like soda machines in US but store whole beans coffee, and make espresso and espresso based drinks).
Another example, I used Apple pay in a remote village that had such a broken access road that took me 40 minutes for driving 20km.

I assumed Western Europe would on the same trend but that was a mistake (and I knew it).

As a side story, after returning I went in San Fracisco to a food truck that proudly displayed the apple pay logo. When I tried to pay with my phone the guy looked at me like I am crazy and started doing something to "set up the machine". I gave up of course. San Francisco, the capital of the tech world... Don't even get me started about the differences between 1Gbps 10$ fiber connection and 20Mbps 60$ you get in Silicon Valley, or data speeds and costs for the mobile phones which are at least 10X different in both ways.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

"In US ApplePay is not universal, but in Europe is everywhere."

I'm definitely more of a fan of Samsung Pay, though I have a Samsung phone.

Quoting from this article:
https://www.business.com/articles/googl ... msung-pay/

One advantage of Samsung Pay is it works with most card readers. It uses both NFC technology and magnetic secure transmission (MST) technology. MST technology emits a magnetic signal that acts like magnetic strip that you find on most credit cards. This allows you to use this electronic wallet at more terminals than some similar applications.
Samsung Pay is accepted in stores, in apps and online. Because of the flexible types of technology that work with Samsung Pay, it is accepted by any magnetic stripe payment terminal. But it will not work at gas station pumps or ATM machines where you physically stick your card into a reader. Samsung also made a deal with Visa to make Samsung Pay work at more than 350,000 retail websites.

I've found this to be true --- I've tried Google Pay too, and it's quite easy to use, but a number of times now I've been told "we don't support payment by phone", and then I show them that in fact they do for my phone, because of the MST tech that the other systems don't support, I just sort of slide my phone along the top of the magnetic strip reader.

You always have to be ready with an alternate form of payment, though; I've run into a couple of cases where the NFC technology is supposed to be there but it doesn't work, and a couple of places that accept magnetic strip payment but as far as I can tell just must have explicitly blocked this form of payment using MST (?). I suspect that sometimes point-of-sale hardware today includes NFC payment capability that simply hasn't been set up by the retailer (?).
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

The main advantage of this method is not the reliability (the phone could also run out of battery, can't rely 100% on it), but the security and speed. I don't have to sign stupid pieces of paper pretending that that is a security method in places that use PINs, it's based on print or face ID.
Also the difference between 10 seconds to insert de card, wait and sign and 0.5 seconds at most is pretty remarkable.

For example I find ridiculous that in this day and age when I go to a restaurant I give my card to a minimum wage worker to go with it in a back room for 10 minutes, and after that I give them my signature. Really? What could go wrong? Why not have them bring a mobile POS like is normal everywhere else?
FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor »

https://www.frugalprofessor.com/best-cr ... 9-edition/.

5.25% cash back on most purchases (including Costco). 2.625% cash back on all others. Zero-ish annual fee. Pretty good system.
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha. I eat tax alpha for breakfast.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

xb7 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:40 am... One advantage of Samsung Pay is it works with most card readers. It uses both NFC technology and magnetic secure transmission (MST) technology. ...

I've found this to be true --- I've tried Google Pay too, and it's quite easy to use, but a number of times now I've been told "we don't support payment by phone", and then I show them that in fact they do for my phone, because of the MST tech that the other systems don't support, I just sort of slide my phone along the top of the magnetic strip reader.

You always have to be ready with an alternate form of payment, though; I've run into a couple of cases where the NFC technology is supposed to be there but it doesn't work, and a couple of places that accept magnetic strip payment but as far as I can tell just must have explicitly blocked this form of payment using MST (?). I suspect that sometimes point-of-sale hardware today includes NFC payment capability that simply hasn't been set up by the retailer (?).
Not all Samsung devices have both antennae. All phones probably do but some watches have only NFC antennae.

One of the things I like about using Samsung Pay on my Galaxy is that I can leave NFC off to save the battery. Swipe up from the bottom opens the Samsung Pay app without unlocking the phone and turns NFC on automatically. It shuts off when the transaction is complete. Google Pay requires me to unlock the phone to open the app and it doesn't turn the NFC antenna on. You have to leave it on, or it prompts you to turn it on. All of that is time-consuming and annoying.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

spammagnet wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:45 am One of the things I like about using Samsung Pay on my Galaxy is that I can leave NFC off to save the battery. Swipe up from the bottom opens the Samsung Pay app without unlocking the phone and turns NFC on automatically. It shuts off when the transaction is complete. Google Pay requires me to unlock the phone to open the app and it doesn't turn the NFC antenna on. You have to leave it on, or it prompts you to turn it on. All of that is time-consuming and annoying.
I just got round to trying this and --- cool beans, that's neat! I suspect that Samsung Pay can do this because I'm running it on a Samsung phone (?), but for whatever reason it's nice to see software designers thinking this sort of thing through.

OTOH, a quick look round on the web suggests that leaving NFC on isn't like leaving on other wireless protocols --- bluetooth, wifi, etc. Because NFC isn't constantly broadcasting or searching, and at least one site mentioned explicitly testing for this and finding the impact of NFC to be tiny on the battery.

I guess now the only reason I would leave NFC on would be if for some reason Samsung Pay failed and I thought that Google Pay would work, but in practice I'm not finding that to be the case. In fact, when I upgraded to a new phone I didn't bother putting on Google Pay and so far haven't missed it. So, all things being equal --- certainly better to leave NFC off!

Thanks for sharing this tip.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

I've been in credit card jail for 2 years waiting for 5/24 parole. I was finally able to take advantage of an interesting United Airlines offer this week: $250 off the airfare I was about to book + 25,000 miles after spending $2,000 (which is now down to $1,130 after the ticket purchase). The main offer is 40,000 miles after a $2,000 spend. Both come with no A/F the first year. The $250 discount was particularly helpful in my straitened circumstances. Bird in the hand, etc ...
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Just my semi frequent reminder to everyone that 5/24 is nothing to be scared of. There are so many good offers out there that if you are choosing to stay under 5/24 because of Chase, you’re missing the forest for the trees.

My wife and I have each gotten 6 cards this year earning way more than some puddly 50k x2 UR or MileagePlus miles are worth.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

^ Well, I kept getting denied this year and last - by Wells Fargo, Capital One, etc. - for having opened too many cards. Also, several banks have a cooling off period for bonuses. I think Wells Fargo's is 17 months between bonuses.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

Yeah I've been at LOL/24 for a while now and after getting enough rejections, I've decided to just cool it on the personal cards and get under 5/24.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:07 pm Just my semi frequent reminder to everyone that 5/24 is nothing to be scared of. There are so many good offers out there that if you are choosing to stay under 5/24 because of Chase, you’re missing the forest for the trees.

My wife and I have each gotten 6 cards this year earning way more than some puddly 50k x2 UR or MileagePlus miles are worth.
Details please :).
Last oneI've card is the Barclay arrival +.Not bad but it's hard to put travel expenses on it: I either use points already or need the primary rental insurance chase reserve provides.
orthros

Post by orthros »

Simple 2 step strategy

1) Grocery stores, including gift cards to local business

American Express Preferred ($95 AF). 6% cash back. At Giant Eagle (local grocery chain), you can buy gift cards which provide another 6% cash back in free gasoline, which nets a 12% discount. If I wanted to, say, buy the Oculus Quest, I can save $60 off the $500 cost by buying Best Buy gift cards at Giant Eagle then using those gift cards to buy the Quest.

Limited to $7K in annual grocery spend.

2) Everything else

Citi Double Cash. 2% CB. Nudged to 2 1/2% with their savings account promo (Google it if you're interested).

-------

I've done the math and get > 80% of the benefit with < 20% of the work. Slicing and dicing could net another couple hundred bucks a year were I so inclined.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

I also have several hundred thousand UR points. Best value has been transferring to Hyatt (and Marriott). Points transferred and used has exceeded 10 cents per dollar spent (to earn the points) at Hyatt and 8-9 cents per dollar at Marriott. You need to look around though. Sometimes the point per night rates are outrageous, so it doesn't make sense way more often than it does. But when it does, it's a great value IMHO.

I've yet to see the anywhere near the value in transferring to airline partners I have obtained with hotel partners. However, I am hopeful I will eventually use some points for international business class tickets. I continue to look.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

PinkPonies777 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:16 pm
guitarguy wrote: Wed May 25, 2016 10:15 am
  • $0 annual fee
That Pen Fed card is no longer available - has not been for years. I have it, but got mine some 10+ years ago.
All_About_Benjis

BeneIRA wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:31 pm

Where do you want to go, how many people are you taking, how long, when are you going, what does "value" mean to you? If you are looking in 2021 and beyond, then I would check back next year. Some of the sweet spots will have gone the way of the dodo, so anything we say now is subject to change. A year ago I would have told you that United could have provided great value due to no surcharges on international awards, but they are going dynamic and who knows what will happen to their partner awards by this time next year. KrisFlyer is another one that has seen better days and a couple of years ago I would have told you that they had a ton of value. FlyingBlue could be if they happen to have a promo award at the time. Virgin Atlantic has some sweet spots. Hyatt is the best hotel partner, hands down, but the odds of them being where you want them isn't amazing. The 1.5X on UR points with the Reserve is decent, but depending on the answers to the question above, 600,000 points may not get you everything you want.
It's just two of us traveling. We haven't decided on a location yet, but are kicking around places right now - some being considered are: San Sebastian, Dolomites (Northern Italy), New Zealand (South Island), Easter Island, etc. I realize those are all over the map. I'm wondering if an around the world ticket is an option (and does it make sense), or are we better off buying flights where we want to go and then using the points on hotels in those places. We also have a Marriott Bonvoy card, so transferring to that and getting the 5th night free may make a lot of sense.
All_About_Benjis

MikeG62 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:44 am

I also have several hundred thousand UR points. Best value has been transferring to Hyatt (and Marriott). Points transferred and used has exceeded 10 cents per dollar spent (to earn the points) at Hyatt and 8-9 cents per dollar at Marriott. You need to look around though. Sometimes the point per night rates are outrageous, so it doesn't make sense way more often than it does. But when it does, it's a great value IMHO.

I've yet to see the anywhere near the value in transferring to airline partners I have obtained with hotel partners. However, I am hopeful I will eventually use some points for international business class tickets. I continue to look.
Thanks for the info. I'll check into Hyatt and Marriott for some of the places we want to stay. We are lifetime gold at Marriott due to our previous stays with Starwood.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

All_About_Benjis wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks for the info. I'll check into Hyatt and Marriott for some of the places we want to stay. We are lifetime gold at Marriott due to our previous stays with Starwood.
While not impossible to get good value transfering URs to Marriott, you'll be hard pressed to find better values there than on the Chase portal. Your best bet is generally transferring to an airline for business class travel, transferring to Hyatt, or using the Chase portal.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

Does anyone have any comment on the Aviana LifeMiles card ? It has good bonuses now.

The card seems to be issued by Banco Popular in Puerto Rico, which is good in a way for those that have reached credit card limits with other banks. But it's also much smaller than the big issuers -- how solid and secure are their systems ?
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

Chase UR Order of Ops: (General order YMMV)

1. International premium classes
2. Hyatt
3. International basic fares
4a. CSR travel portal (1.5x)
4b. Domestic air
6. CSP portal (1.25x)
7. Cash out
8. Marriott
Never. IHG, Amazon, other retailers
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

Bfwolf wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:00 pm
While not impossible to get good value transfering URs to Marriott, you'll be hard pressed to find better values there than on the Chase portal. Your best bet is generally transferring to an airline for business class travel, transferring to Hyatt, or using the Chase portal.
Even overly optimistic CC pusher sites like the points guy only value Marriott at 0.8 cents per point. It would be better to take cash (1 cpp) than X-fer to a hotel other than Hyatt.

Even if I used my AMEX to x-fer to Hilton at the 1 to 2.6 ratio right now that is basically break even with with the CSP portal at 1.25 cpp. Generally speaking, you shouldn't use points for hotels on Chase or Amex.

Exception: If you are hunting for a deal rather than having a specific place in mind you can do better than .8 at Marriott.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

SlowMovingInvestor wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:14 pm Does anyone have any comment on the Avianca LifeMiles card ? It has good bonuses now.

The card seems to be issued by Banco Popular in Puerto Rico, which is good in a way for those that have reached credit card limits with other banks. But it's also much smaller than the big issuers -- how solid and secure are their systems ?
No. 12 on Doctor of Credit's chart. Some caveats listed:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/avianca- ... purchases/

How solid and secure are anyone's systems these days?
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Hope this is the right thread to post this in rather than starting a new one...

Anyone have any thoughts on Amex Platinum vs Gold as my "only card" on a day-to-day basis? I have Schwab so could qualify for the Schwab Plat, but the Gold has much better earnings.

I want the simplicity of one card with good benefits. I also don't like Chase and want to stick with Amex (love their customer service and have been a card holder for a long time).

Travel Habits: I fly about 4-8 times a year, mostly domestic but an international vacation or two thrown in there each year. I fly out of a United Hub, but I am not loyal to United. I tend to book directly with the airline on whoever can get me there fastest and cheapest (fastest being the most important). I've tried using miles to book international flights, but it was too frustrating. With two travelers, trying to find available seats on a flight with minimal layovers and specific dates wasn't worth it.

Spend: I spend about 2-4k a year on flights, a lot on dining and groceries. I calculated it, and I would make about 25k more in points with the Gold, but with the Plat I get the 25% bonus for Schwab as cash back.

I had the Plat a while back and got frustrated with how crowded the Centurion lounges are, but they are nice for a quick stop in. I also liked the other benefits the card had. I just hate all of the hoops you have to jump through to get the "credits" to make the fees worth it on the card.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

You can't do Amex for international, and even internal. Many places don't take it.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Starfish wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:35 pm You can't do Amex for international, and even internal. Many places don't take it.
It's true that not every vendor accepts Amex, so one should also have a VISA or MasterCard.
(Their consumer protections are usually much better in case of problems.)

But I don't understand the "can't do Amex for international" bit above. We mostly use our Amex Plat card wherever we are, unless we specifically want to use our AAdvantage Citi MasterCard for the AA points.
... and likewise domestic.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:02 pm
Starfish wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:35 pm You can't do Amex for international, and even internal. Many places don't take it.
It's true that not every vendor accepts Amex, so one should also have a VISA or MasterCard.

But I don't understand the "can't do Amex for international" bit above. We mostly use our Amex Plat card wherever we are, unless we specifically want to use our AAdvantage Citi MasterCard for the AA points.

RM
Are there many places outside of major, major tourist destinations that you have been able to use Amex internationally? Outside of the UK, Paris (not France, just Paris) some parts of Italy, some parts of Amsterdam and Bermuda I haven't been able to use Amex reliably or usually at all.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

All_About_Benjis wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:15 am
BeneIRA wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:31 pm

It's just two of us traveling. We haven't decided on a location yet, but are kicking around places right now - some being considered are: San Sebastian, Dolomites (Northern Italy), New Zealand (South Island), Easter Island, etc. I realize those are all over the map. I'm wondering if an around the world ticket is an option (and does it make sense), or are we better off buying flights where we want to go and then using the points on hotels in those places. We also have a Marriott Bonvoy card, so transferring to that and getting the 5th night free may make a lot of sense.
I would probably parse it out. I don't know that you would save anything with an Around the World ticket, but I am no expert at those. For Italy, depending on where you're flying out of, it wouldn't be hard to fly into Milan and transit there. New Zealand is a tougher nut to crack because award availability is not friendly oftentimes and cash prices can be high, but there are some deals to be had, especially from the west coast. Ironically, being on the east coast would be helpful for Italy and San Sebastian but a big hindrance for New Zealand. I don't know that Marriott helps you much in the Dolomites because the only hotel they have in the area is a resort which will run you 85,000 a night. There is a Sheraton, too, but maybe not where you want to be.

Honestly, you may be better off using the URs to bring the cash prices of the flights down. Maybe use Southwest for a positioning flight to decrease the cost. It will all depend.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

BeneIRA wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:20 pm

RM
Are there many places outside of major, major tourist destinations that you have been able to use Amex internationally? Outside of the UK, Paris (not France, just Paris) some parts of Italy, some parts of Amsterdam and Bermuda I haven't been able to use Amex reliably or usually at all.
I'm not sure what "many" would mean, but we've been able to us our Amex in small towns in Norway, in rural Japan, several towns/vendors on Italy on several trips, various day excursions on cruises, many taxis (it's increasingly common and surprising that taxis in many locations accept charge cards), and almost every hotel/inn/etc.

Sure, there were occasional places that don't take Amex, international or domestic. So we keep our Citi-Card, and there are times that we *prefer* to use it, because we then want the AAdvantage awards points/miles, instead of more Amex Membership Rewards points
But to say one "CAN'T do Amex for international"...? That just doesn't make any sense.

The larger problem, but fortunately not a common one, we had with some smaller vendors (and private cruise excursions) is when they won't take *any* charge card.
There was one tiny gift shop on the Norway-Russia border that stated they accepted several major credit cards (including Amex, VISA, and Mastercard), but when we went to pay with a card, the response was 'We don't take ANY credit cards anymore", despite all of the "we accept..." almost all card signs in their front window. We wouldn't have wasted our time browsing and then waiting in line. :annoyed

We were quite surprised some years ago to find a major department store (here in the USA) that only took Amex, and would not accept VISA or MasterCard. (They changed that a few years ago, and now take all three of those.)

But given that we have Amex and MasterCard, it's a non-issue. It only comes up rarely, and when it does, we then present the "other" card.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
travellight

Post by travellight »

MichCPA wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:47 pm Chase UR Order of Ops: (General order YMMV)

2. Hyatt
4b. Domestic air
6. CSP portal (1.25x)
7. Cash out
8. Marriott
where on the list is transfer of miles to travel partners, like Southwest? Is it item 4b?
Cruz

Post by Cruz »

How does redeeming AMEX Blue Cash for travel expenses work? I have the card but always exchange for statement credit...
Reamus294 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:41 pm This is what works best for us. We could do without the United but my spouse wanted the points. We may switch this one back and forth with a southwest card. We have had some long layovers with international travel where the priority pass lounges have been a nice perk, although they can be crowded.

AMEX Blue Cash Preferred - $95 Annual Fee
6% Supermarkets
6% Select Streaming Subscriptions
3% Gas
3% Transit
1% Other
Redeem for travel expenses

Amazon Prime Rewards
5% at Amazon and the occasional Whole Foods
Redeem around Christmas Time to reduce Christmas spending

CSR - $150 annual fee after $300 travel credit
3 Points per $1 Travel
3 Points per $1 Dining
CSR Points worth more if spending through portal
Transferable to Travel Partners (Southwest)
Priority Pass used a couple times a year
Redeem to reduce travel
Discount at SilverCar has resulted in same price at hertz for a few trips

United Explorer Mileage Plus - $95 annual fee
Mainly for the Bonus
Free Checked Bags - This can save shipping a box of wine $50.
Priority Boarding
2 United Club Passes
Plan to use for Global Entry
Spouse uses when I'm not available with CSR for restaurants (2 points for every dollar)
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:47 pm
BeneIRA wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:20 pm

RM
I'm not sure what "many" would mean, but we've been able to us our Amex in small towns in Norway, in rural Japan, several towns/vendors on Italy on several trips, various day excursions on cruises, many taxis (it's increasingly common and surprising that taxis in many locations accept charge cards), and almost every hotel/inn/etc.

Sure, there were occasional places that don't take Amex, international or domestic. So we keep our Citi-Card, and there are times that we *prefer* to use it, because we then want the AAdvantage awards points/miles, instead of more Amex Membership Rewards points
But to say one "CAN'T do Amex for international"...? That just doesn't make any sense.

The larger problem, but fortunately not a common one, we had with some smaller vendors (and private cruise excursions) is when they won't take *any* charge card.
There was one tiny gift shop on the Norway-Russia border that stated they accepted several major credit cards (including Amex, VISA, and Mastercard), but when we went to pay with a card, the response was 'We don't take ANY credit cards anymore", despite all of the "we accept..." almost all card signs in their front window. We wouldn't have wasted our time browsing and then waiting in line. :annoyed

We were quite surprised some years ago to find a major department store (here in the USA) that only took Amex, and would not accept VISA or MasterCard. (They changed that a few years ago, and now take all three of those.)

But given that we have Amex and MasterCard, it's a non-issue. It only comes up rarely, and when it does, we then present the "other" card.

RM
I leave the Amex at home. In most places in Italy, Austria, Republic of Georgia, France outside of Paris, Ukraine, Hungary, Netherlands and on, I haven't been able to use Amex. I do have to say domestically, it is extremely rare that Amex isn't accepted, so they have made strides there. Internationally, at least for me, it's pretty much a wasteland. You hedge against it with a Mastercard. I take a Mastercard and a Visa and that, with the local currency is enough.

In Italy specifically, I got enormous pushback when using a card. In grocery stores and corporate places like museums and most restaurants, they couldn't care less if $0.60 was charged. Over the years, I've had merchants, especially internationally, gently push and say they would prefer cash, but in Italy, there were always credit minimums, the system was always "down" and they asked if we had Euros.
Last edited by BeneIRA on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

RM
I have not seen Amex to be widely accepted in Europe. In some (most?) countries it has almost zero acceptance outside airports. I can't bet on it but my general impression is that the acceptance of Visa/MC it's at least 10X better than Amex outside US, at least based on widow stickers (probably not really accurate). I personally don't even bother carrying and Amex outside the country.
Last edited by Starfish on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

BeneIRA wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:16 pm I leave the Amex at home. In most places in Italy, Austria, Republic of Georgia, France outside of Paris, Ukraine, Hungary, Netherlands and on, I haven't been able to use Amex. I do have to say domestically, it is extremely rare that Amex isn't accepted,
It is not that rare. There are many places that accept only Visa/MC, especially all the smaller mom & pop shops, doctors, dentists, utility companies, after-school/preschools, maybe dmv/state? etc. The fees for Amex are high, this is why smaller places don't touch it.
I know because for it was a struggle for me to meet the required spending, nobody would take my money...
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

Starfish wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:20 pm
BeneIRA wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:16 pm I leave the Amex at home. In most places in Italy, Austria, Republic of Georgia, France outside of Paris, Ukraine, Hungary, Netherlands and on, I haven't been able to use Amex. I do have to say domestically, it is extremely rare that Amex isn't accepted,
It is not that rare. There are many places that accept only Visa/MC, especially all the smaller mom & pop shops, doctors, dentists. The fees for Amex are high, this is why smaller places don't touch it.
I remember back in the early 2010's when I first started using Amex more and it seemed like I would be waived off pretty regularly. The one constant was Costco. As of 2019, either the acceptance has skyrocketed or the places I frequent somehow always take Amex. Ironically, now I can't use it as Costco. Go figure.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

travellight wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:59 pm
MichCPA wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:47 pm Chase UR Order of Ops: (General order YMMV)

2. Hyatt
4b. Domestic air
6. CSP portal (1.25x)
7. Cash out
8. Marriott
where on the list is transfer of miles to travel partners, like Southwest? Is it item 4b?
Generally 4b yes, Southwest uses a revenue model rather than an awards chart. The points are roughly 1.5 cpp. The exception would be If you have the companion pass. Then Southwest would probably be the best option for redemption.
All_About_Benjis

2. Hyatt
4b. Domestic air
6. CSP portal (1.25x)
7. Cash out
8. Marriott
Thanks for this list, it's very helpful.

From what I can gather, it's probably best for me to start using these points as we take trips where there are some good point options rather than saving them up for one magnificent vacation.
Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 »

Cruz wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:05 pm How does redeeming AMEX Blue Cash for travel expenses work? I have the card but always exchange for statement credit.

Sorry, should have clarified. I use it as a statement credit for an annual trip that we make.
LearningAlot

credit card strategy

Post by LearningAlot »

[merged into existing thread - moderator prudent]

I don't travel (other than day trips by car) and thus credit card travel rewards never interested me. My credit card
strategy has been pretty simple. Run everything I can through my credit cards. I use the Amazon prime card for
everything, except the 5% discounts I get from Discover, which change every quarter.

A friend of mine has suggested I go to a more complicated approach, searching for large cash back offers, divert purchases
to max out the cash reward, and then move on to another card and repeat the process.

The older I get, the more I value keeping my life simple but if I could generate an incremental $1K or so annually, I'd be
willing to add some complexity to my credit card strategy.

Would appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Thanks in advance!
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

NYCaviator wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:58 pm I had the Plat a while back and got frustrated with how crowded the Centurion lounges are, but they are nice for a quick stop in. I also liked the other benefits the card had. I just hate all of the hoops you have to jump through to get the "credits" to make the fees worth it on the card.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Personally my Amex Plat is for the chopping block the next time my AF posts. I think I would focus your analysis how much of the $550 fee you can offset with lounge visits, airline credits, Uber credits and Sak credits. Keep in mind there have been some recent changes to the Amex benefits. One, the most common airline credit loopholes (giftcards) has been closed. There are still a few loopholes but who knows how long they will last. Amex clearly wants to cut back on the use of this fee. Two, the PriorityPass access with Amex no longer includes non-lounge "experiences" so restaurants and quick nap type places are no longer included with Amex. Amex plat does have many benefits though (IAP, FHR, etc.) so its value to any individual will vary highly.

I have been fairly lucky with my Centurion lounges that they have mostly not been too bad on crowding when I have been there but they are places I don't get to much so not worth keeping for that. To me I am going to keep my Citi Prestige much to my surprise as my premium card. Slightly lower fee, easy to use and slightly higher airline credit, and the fourth night free though heavily limited is probably still useful enough to me. Also better Priority Pass access. The Citi also earns 5x on travel agents, airlines and restaurants. I am also going to keep my Amex Gold since I can easily max out the grocery spend and the Seamless credit is perfect for pickup form a couple of local restaurants I frequent. Unlike the Uber credit and UberEats this is pretty close to cash to me since I don't lose anything to fees and I'd eat from these places anyway.
Last edited by THY4373 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

I also have several hundred thousand UR points. Best value has been transferring to Hyatt (and Marriott). Points transferred and used has exceeded 10 cents per dollar spent (to earn the points) at Hyatt and 8-9 cents per dollar at Marriott.
I am just going to say those are some incredible values not saying this didn't happen but they are the long thin tail of the value curve. Folks should not assume they will regularly get even half or a quarter of that. Yes if you hit some hotel when cash rates are insane and there is award availability you may get this but as a day to day thing it seems very unlikely. The general value put on Marriott points is around 0.8 cents (not 8 cents).
rascott

Post by rascott »

MikeG62 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:47 am
  • $0 annual fee
That Pen Fed card is no longer available - has not been for years. I have it, but got mine some 10+ years ago.

They have one....but it's not "cash" correct? I actually have this similar card...but believe it's just reward points via their system, not cash back. Their points have a value of .85-.90. So yeah you can still get a 5% on gas, but it's not cash. I think their highest value is hotel stays.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

rascott wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:41 am
MikeG62 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:47 am
  • $0 annual fee

They have one....but it's not "cash" correct? I actually have this similar card...but believe it's just reward points via their system, not cash back. Their points have a value of .85-.90. So yeah you can still get a 5% on gas, but it's not cash. I think their highest value is hotel stays.
Yes the last time I looked. However their points are not valued at 1 cent each. So you may get 5 points per dollar on gas but that translates to something closer to 4 cents in cash value.