What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
BeneIRA

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by BeneIRA » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:20 pm

giesen5 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:24 pm
BeneIRA wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:18 pm
giesen5 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:58 pm
Wife and I just applied for the Capital One Spark Cash (business) card. I am something like 24/24 and she is 16/24. Both denied, waiting for the letter explaining why, but it has to be too many inquires. We are 800+ FICO.

Anyone else having trouble getting this card? I am nervous that all companies are really tightening down. Barclay and now Bank of America being the newest.
There's a reason why churners dislike Capital One aside from then pulling all three credit bureaus. They always looked at inquiries and were more sensitive than most. You are probably right in regards to the denial reason. Barclays has always been ridiculous with inquiries, which was why you had to cancel the A+ before getting a new one. BOA is a real tragedy, though.
Yeah, I felt the pull to apply, but after being denied I realized it was a stupid waste of time, especially the three pulls. Should have been smarter. was recently turned down by Barclay even though my previous A+ card had been closed for awhile, I was on the leading edge of their crackdown.

I had never been turned down for a card until the A+ and now the Cap One. Feeling fragile and gun shy......
Apply for an Amex, possibly the Hilton Surpass if it would benefit you on the last day of the increased offer. Amex approvals always make me feel better.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:13 pm

I’ve already maxed those out, too bad. Feeling a bit of a stalemate right now.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Find 3-6 new good cards per year, with high bonus spend.
Apply, direct the least juicy spend to those cards.
Repeat.
2x number of cards if you have a spouse.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:48 am

Does anyone know if any department stores sell Amazon gift cards? I have missed most of the 3Q2017 Chase Freedom 5x rewards and was hoping to pick up some this quarter.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:48 am
Does anyone know if any department stores sell Amazon gift cards? I have missed most of the 3Q2017 Chase Freedom 5x rewards and was hoping to pick up some this quarter.

Victoria
I just plan on buying VGCs at Walmart. Have car insurance to pay this quarter so easy enough to drain there.

I doubt department stores would be selling gift cards to the company putting them all out of business.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:58 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 am
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I just plan on buying VGCs at Walmart. Have car insurance to pay this quarter so easy enough to drain there.

I doubt department stores would be selling gift cards to the company putting them all out of business.
I don't have a Walmart near by, but I could drive to one if necessary. What is the percent loss on Visa Gift Cards? In other words, is it significantly lower than 5% I'd get from Freedom?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:06 am

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Amazon has a list here: https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=13582391011 Nothing looks like a department store to me. I was bummed Q4 wasn't warehouse stores, I spend a fair bit at Costco and would have been happy to spend the remainder of the $1500 on Costco gift cards to spend in the future. Ah well. Won't be a good quarter for me with Freedom.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:58 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 am
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

I don't have a Walmart near by, but I could drive to one if necessary. What is the percent loss on Visa Gift Cards? In other words, is it significantly lower than 5% I'd get from Freedom?

Victoria
Walmart charges $4.94 for a $500 card, so under 1%.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:18 am

I got my Capital One Quicksilver yesterday. It should be easy for me to spend $500 in 90 days to get the $150 statement bonus.

I've been debating with myself what I should apply for in March: another bonus card or a cashback card I would use in the long-term such as Amex Blue Cash or a Discover card.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:21 am

Da5id wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:06 am
Amazon has a list here: https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=13582391011 Nothing looks like a department store to me. I was bummed Q4 wasn't warehouse stores, I spend a fair bit at Costco and would have been happy to spend the remainder of the $1500 on Costco gift cards to spend in the future. Ah well. Won't be a good quarter for me with Freedom.
Thank you for the link. I was not aware it existed!

Victoria,

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:21 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 am
Thank you, Jags4186,

Do you know if I could:
use VGCs to load into my Amazon account?
use VGCs to buy Costco cash cards?
buy 3 x $500 VGCs during a single visit to a Walmart?

Victoria

sidneyinplanning

Post by sidneyinplanning » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 am

I create a spreadsheet to itemized each card by the percent of the reward. Need to update each quarter for for changes in the type of purchases for the 5% reward.

Also maximize offers that give say 40,000 miles, or $200 rebate if spending X amount. Dormant the card once meeting the minimum requirement. Cancel the card if there is a fee for the second year; consolidate the points, miles, reward and use them fast before expiration.

The other trouble is how to use them - hotel, car rental, gift card, magazine subscription or cash back. Some cards give the cash to investment accounts.

Also I created a matrix itemizing by type of purchase by percent. This one I carry in the wallet.
Check the matrix by clicking:
https://ibb.co/etbuOw

sidneyinplanning

Post by sidneyinplanning » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:58 am

Also most cards exclude local transit, Amtrak, long distance transit (say Long Island rail, NJ Transit from Trenton to New York) as travel. Really annoying. I called and say if I buy a train ticket from NY to San Diego, does it count? What I get is that it is not travel. Need some opinion here.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:29 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:21 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Thank you, Jags4186,

Do you know if I could:

Victoria
You can use them to do anything you normally would with a visa credit card up to the cash value of the card. No reason to use for Costco cash since they already take Visa (unless you want to shop at Costco without a membership) and no reason to preload on Amazon as you are turning real money into Amazon only money. I try to use them for unbonused spend that doesn't need CC protections. For example, I use them to pay my Geico car insurance bill, a doctor copay, a haircut, a car wash, dentist visit, etc.. My car insurance is $1300 every 6 months so I'll make 3 separate payments, $500, $500, and $300, then I'll use the $200 on small dollar services.

I would also note that Discover is 5% Q4 on Amazon.

Off the top of my head I can't remember if Walmart lets you do all 3 in one transaction or if they need to be run separately, but it shouldn't be a problem buying 3 in 1 visit at the same cash register.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:38 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:29 am
VictoriaF wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:21 am
Jags4186 wrote:
Thank you, Jags4186,

Do you know if I could:

Victoria
You can use them to do anything you normally would with a visa credit card up to the cash value of the card. No reason to use for Costco cash since they already take Visa (unless you want to shop at Costco without a membership) and no reason to preload on Amazon as you are turning real money into Amazon only money. I try to use them for unbonused spend that doesn't need CC protections. For example, I use them to pay my Geico car insurance bill, a doctor copay, a haircut, a car wash, dentist visit, etc.. My car insurance is $1300 every 6 months so I'll make 3 separate payments, $500, $500, and $300, then I'll use the $200 on small dollar services.

I would also note that Discover is 5% Q4 on Amazon.

Off the top of my head I can't remember if Walmart lets you do all 3 in one transaction or if they need to be run separately, but it shouldn't be a problem buying 3 in 1 visit at the same cash register.
Excellent suggestions. Thank you!

In the past, I've been using Chase-Freedom to buy Costco cash cards for months ahead and load my Amazon account--whichever was the case in a given quarter. But as you write, with Visa Gift Cards my spending will be more flexible.

Most of my spending is for travel, for which I use the CSP (hope to get the CSR next year). I have paid my insurance a few weeks ago for a year ahead, and so that's not an option. Still, I'd rather use VGCs at Amazon, Costco, and other places as appropriate than tie up money in advance.

Victoria

DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:30 pm

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Victoria,

Here is link from flyertalk that you might find useful. It calls out Sears as a place to purchase Amazon GC.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufact ... cards.html

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
no reason to preload on Amazon as you are turning real money into Amazon only money.
I agree with your post. I do however see one benefit to loading your Amazon account which is you don't have to carry around $500 in essentially cash. When I bought a $500 gift card I was always a little worried about losing it.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:31 am

mega317 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:07 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
no reason to preload on Amazon as you are turning real money into Amazon only money.
I agree with your post. I do however see one benefit to loading your Amazon account which is you don't have to carry around $500 in essentially cash. When I bought a $500 gift card I was always a little worried about losing it.
We keep our gift cards (which we receive as gifts, sometimes purchase to meet a minimum spend, etc) in a drawer at the house. Easy to find..always stored in the same spot and not carried unless we're burning them. Mostly.

Re: Freedom Q4...I'm thinking we won't participate. Don't really ever shop at dept stores or Walmart. Could buy VGCs at Walmart as discussed, but currently working on $5k spend for Amex Platinum card thru mid-Dec anyway...so not really a big deal.

EDIT: We might buy a VGC to use at Costco since they don't take Amex! Question: are there any tricks/things to know regarding using up the balance in its entirety? Do you have to know the exact dollar amount left to do that? Have never used a generic VGC before.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:07 am

guitarguy wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:31 am
... Question: are there any tricks/things to know regarding using up the balance in its entirety? Do you have to know the exact dollar amount left to do that? Have never used a generic VGC before.
If paying at a POS terminal, they typically have the facility to pay part with one card and the remainder with others. The terminal will inform you how much is available and how much remains to be paid by other means.

It's not unusual for someone to buy something with a gift card actually received as a gift, but the card in its entirety is smaller than the purchase.

DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:40 pm

guitarguy wrote:
mega317 wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
We keep our gift cards (which we receive as gifts, sometimes purchase to meet a minimum spend, etc) in a drawer at the house. Easy to find..always stored in the same spot and not carried unless we're burning them. Mostly.

Re: Freedom Q4...I'm thinking we won't participate. Don't really ever shop at dept stores or Walmart. Could buy VGCs at Walmart as discussed, but currently working on $5k spend for Amex Platinum card thru mid-Dec anyway...so not really a big deal.

EDIT: We might buy a VGC to use at Costco since they don't take Amex! Question: are there any tricks/things to know regarding using up the balance in its entirety? Do you have to know the exact dollar amount left to do that? Have never used a generic VGC before.
For those that are thinking about buying VGCs at Walmart, these purchases do not always go as planned.
Below is a link from a churning site about a not so successful buy. There are a ton of post on these sites from people that tell of success stories at Walmart.

The general consensus from those sites is to go slow and if you don't succeed at one store,try another.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comme ... 7/dnylflq/

gpc0321

Post by gpc0321 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:55 pm

I may have replied to this thread already, but if so, it was long enough ago that I've forgotten and my strategy has evolved.

For many months, my "strategy" has been to chase down every sign-up bonus I could to get me and my folks to Disney World for a few nights this December. That was successful.

My next strategy was to get a few "keeper" cash back cards that I'd read a lot about (Discover It and Citi DoubleCash). Got those. Used them a little, missed having the sweet sign-up bonuses (though Discover's cashback match is nice).

I went back to chasing a few more sign-up bonuses to enhance the upcoming Disney trip. Finished one min spend and about halfway done with another.

After some thought, I've decided that my loyalty lies with Chase (been a Chase cardholder for 24 years). They've funded a lot of this Disney trip, and I just love the UR program.

I'm "gardening" now, since I opened 13 cards over the past year. While gardening for the next two years, I will use my Freedom and Freedom Unlimited exclusively and bank up some UR points. I use my cards for everything, including utilities, insurance, and anything that will let me use a cc without charging me a fee. I should have no problem banking 50k+ UR points during the next 2 years. I should also have 25k Hyatt points and 21k Rapid Rewards points.

In 2019, I will officially be a "churner" as I apply for the CSP for the second time. Got one in December of 2016 and closed it this year when I didn't think I'd use it enough to justify the annual fee. I've kind of regretted that, but I'm happy to get the chance at the sign-up bonus again. I see no reason why I won't be approved. My score is still in the 750-770 range, and should be back in the 800 range two years from now. Long-standing relationship with Chase, always pay in full, etc.

After getting the CSP, I'm going to try for an Ink Cash.

So my strategy from that point forward will be to use those four cards: Freedom, FU, CIC, and CSP to accrue as many UR points as possible. I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with them, but I'll figure that out when the time comes.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:53 am

DrGrnTum wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:40 pm
guitarguy wrote:
mega317 wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

For those that are thinking about buying VGCs at Walmart, these purchases do not always go as planned.
Below is a link from a churning site about a not so successful buy. There are a ton of post on these sites from people that tell of success stories at Walmart.

The general consensus from those sites is to go slow and if you don't succeed at one store,try another.

Thanks for posting.

I won't be even bothering to step foot inside a Walmart now...definitely not worth my time.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:12 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:53 am
DrGrnTum wrote:

Thanks for posting.

I won't be even bothering to step foot inside a Walmart now...definitely not worth my time.
I can see why Walmart has this policy of requiring cash or debit for a large gift card purchase though. What is one quick and easy way to convert a stolen credit card into cash? Use it to purchase a gift card and then liquidate the gift card or resell it on the Internet. That it is also a technique used by churners is probably only a secondary concern to Walmart (if it is even a concern at all). The theft concerns are much higher, because Walmart gets stuck holding the bag if the thief can liquidate the card before the theft is reported.

travellight

Post by travellight » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:41 pm

to those with recent denials:

There is a new rule from Bank of America whereby they’ll only approve you for at most two cards per rolling 2 months, three cards per rolling 12 months, and four cards per rolling 24 months. Let’s call this the ‘2/3/4 rule‘.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:47 pm

travellight wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:41 pm

There is a new rule from Bank of America whereby they’ll only approve you for at most two cards per rolling 2 months, three cards per rolling 12 months, and four cards per rolling 24 months. Let’s call this the ‘2/3/4 rule‘.
Do you have an article link by chance for this new rule? I'm curious if there are anymore details on this rule.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:23 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:47 pm
travellight wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Do you have an article link by chance for this new rule? I'm curious if there are anymore details on this rule.
Check Doctor of Credit’s site, it has a great write up on it. If you go back a page or two, Bogleheada actually scooped the churning community.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:52 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Just a reminder in case it isn't in this thread the above is correct BUT Incomm/Vanilla cards are hard coded to be cash or debit only. The GreenDot and Sunrise cards can be purchased with CC though you may run into uninformed cashiers. Also pay attention to the fees because sometimes Walmart has some cards that are a dollar more expensive.
Last edited by THY4373 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:53 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:12 pm
I can see why Walmart has this policy of requiring cash or debit for a large gift card purchase though. What is one quick and easy way to convert a stolen credit card into cash? Use it to purchase a gift card and then liquidate the gift card or resell it on the Internet. That it is also a technique used by churners is probably only a secondary concern to Walmart (if it is even a concern at all). The theft concerns are much higher, because Walmart gets stuck holding the bag if the thief can liquidate the card before the theft is reported.
My understanding is the banks are left holding bag not the retailer if the retailer accepts chipped cards.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:55 am

double post sorry

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:13 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:53 am
Mudpuppy wrote:
My understanding is the banks are left holding bag not the retailer if the retailer accepts chipped cards.
You're thinking of the reimbursement for the one who has had their card stolen, which is covered by EMV liability rules. I'm thinking of the entire transactions, including the gift cards purchased with the stolen credit card. This is more about the stolen gift cards than the stolen credit card. The gift cards are a product that Walmart can lose as a result of a fraudulent transaction, just the same as if the thieves used the stolen credit card to purchase expensive electronics. If they're experiencing high shrink on gift cards due to stolen credit cards, then they can make a policy to limit that... cash-like products can only be purchased with other cash-like products.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:09 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:13 pm
You're thinking of the reimbursement for the one who has had their card stolen, which is covered by EMV liability rules. I'm thinking of the entire transactions, including the gift cards purchased with the stolen credit card. This is more about the stolen gift cards than the stolen credit card. The gift cards are a product that Walmart can lose as a result of a fraudulent transaction, just the same as if the thieves used the stolen credit card to purchase expensive electronics. If they're experiencing high shrink on gift cards due to stolen credit cards, then they can make a policy to limit that... cash-like products can only be purchased with other cash-like products.
No I am not, my understanding is if the retailer supports chipped cards then, the retailer is made whole from transactions made with the stolen credit card the liability is on the banks. Thus if somebody goes to Walmart with a stolen CC and buys $25k of gift cards, Walmart will be made whole by the issuing bank, Walmart loses nothing. They don't take the hit so at some level they probably don't care. Several retailers stopped selling gift cards on credit until they were able to upgrade their systems to support chip. Others dropped their security somewhat with chip readers. For example Kroger used to require all CC purchases of gift cards more than $100 to show ID once they went to chip readers this was no longer required (unless you swiped the card vs chip). The reason the ID is no longer required is because if you use a chipped card at Kroger it is the bank's not Kroger's problem if it is a fraudulent transaction.

Zach

Post by Zach » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:12 pm

gpc0321 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:55 pm
I may have replied to this thread already, but if so, it was long enough ago that I've forgotten and my strategy has evolved.

For many months, my "strategy" has been to chase down every sign-up bonus I could to get me and my folks to Disney World for a few nights this December. That was successful.

My next strategy was to get a few "keeper" cash back cards that I'd read a lot about (Discover It and Citi DoubleCash). Got those. Used them a little, missed having the sweet sign-up bonuses (though Discover's cashback match is nice).

I went back to chasing a few more sign-up bonuses to enhance the upcoming Disney trip. Finished one min spend and about halfway done with another.

After some thought, I've decided that my loyalty lies with Chase (been a Chase cardholder for 24 years). They've funded a lot of this Disney trip, and I just love the UR program.

I'm "gardening" now, since I opened 13 cards over the past year. While gardening for the next two years, I will use my Freedom and Freedom Unlimited exclusively and bank up some UR points. I use my cards for everything, including utilities, insurance, and anything that will let me use a cc without charging me a fee. I should have no problem banking 50k+ UR points during the next 2 years. I should also have 25k Hyatt points and 21k Rapid Rewards points.

In 2019, I will officially be a "churner" as I apply for the CSP for the second time. Got one in December of 2016 and closed it this year when I didn't think I'd use it enough to justify the annual fee. I've kind of regretted that, but I'm happy to get the chance at the sign-up bonus again. I see no reason why I won't be approved. My score is still in the 750-770 range, and should be back in the 800 range two years from now. Long-standing relationship with Chase, always pay in full, etc.

After getting the CSP, I'm going to try for an Ink Cash.

So my strategy from that point forward will be to use those four cards: Freedom, FU, CIC, and CSP to accrue as many UR points as possible. I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with them, but I'll figure that out when the time comes.
I use a similar strategy (and I'm using UR points for Disney World in February, so we think alike!). Never thought about the Ink Cash card though. Do you buy office supply stuff often or is there another reason you're getting it?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:45 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:09 am
Mudpuppy wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:13 pm
No I am not, my understanding is if the retailer supports chipped cards then, the retailer is made whole from transactions made with the stolen credit card the liability is on the banks. Thus if somebody goes to Walmart with a stolen CC and buys $25k of gift cards, Walmart will be made whole by the issuing bank, Walmart loses nothing. They don't take the hit so at some level they probably don't care. Several retailers stopped selling gift cards on credit until they were able to upgrade their systems to support chip. Others dropped their security somewhat with chip readers. For example Kroger used to require all CC purchases of gift cards more than $100 to show ID once they went to chip readers this was no longer required (unless you swiped the card vs chip). The reason the ID is no longer required is because if you use a chipped card at Kroger it is the bank's not Kroger's problem if it is a fraudulent transaction.
Fraud liability coverage is for consumers, not businesses. Businesses are expected to carry insurance for fraud. You'll notice that even business credit cards carry the fine print that you won't be made whole during fraud and you'll have to file with your insurance. The fraud liability coverage through the credit card issuer just makes the consumer whole, not the business.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Fraud liability coverage is for consumers, not businesses. Businesses are expected to carry insurance for fraud. You'll notice that even business credit cards carry the fine print that you won't be made whole during fraud and you'll have to file with your insurance. The fraud liability coverage through the credit card issuer just makes the consumer whole, not the business.
I am sorry you are wrong please read this (https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card ... t-1271.php) article paying close attention "EMV card fraud liability: Who's responsible?" table. Note the line "Stolen/lost chip card dipped by fraudster at EMV-ready merchant." where it clearly shows the liability lies with the banks NOT the store if they take chip cards and not the store insurance company. I have bought large amounts of gift cards at multiple vendors for going on five years and I have chatted with multiple store managers and that table aligns with what they have told me. There are certainly some nuances but in general chip (EMV) cards used at a retailer that supports the technology means the issuer of the card is liable for fraudulent transactions.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:16 am

I've never been able to use a CC to purchase a VGC at any Walmart, but I guess you could always try.

My strategy for the past few months has involved just trying to make sure I am earning max $ or points per dollar spent. Reduced card churning and MS opportunities has changed the game for me....focusing more now on getting my business travel reimbursed and earning more now through loyalty spend, working ok for now.

Gotta keep rolling with changes.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
guitarguy wrote:
DrGrnTum wrote:

Thanks for posting.

Could easily be avoided by the old "asking for ID" step that gets skipped almost all the time nowadays.

But honestly I don't really care anyways. I've never done any MS and only once or twice had to scoop up some gift cards to meet a minimum spend...just bought from the grocery store.

DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:52 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:18 pm
Mudpuppy wrote:
guitarguy wrote:
DrGrnTum wrote:

Thanks for posting.

Could easily be avoided by the old "asking for ID" step that gets skipped almost all the time nowadays.

But honestly I don't really care anyways. I've never done any MS and only once or twice had to scoop up some gift cards to meet a minimum spend...just bought from the grocery store.
I spend a lot of time on the CC churning sites and have garnished a great deal of information on the tricks, loop-holes and best strategies to obtain CCs and ways to legitimately do the minimum spend to obtain the best bonuses.
My wife and I team up in a two player mode capacity. We earn all our points through organic spending. We are just looking to finance a couple overseas trips per year.
On the churning sites I find the Manufacturing Spend (MS) stories entertaining. One of the most intriguing story was of a churner who planned to fully funding a Roth IRA. He would do the GCs to money order trick along with an Amex Platinum Schwab card. He would use this card in combination with some Amex business and personal cards that earned Membership Rewards points. He would then convert the points to cash through the Platinum Schwab and this cash would then be moved to the Schwab Roth IRA. That is $5,500 a year. That is a whole lot of MSing.

I don’t know if anyone could sustain this for any length of time and eventually use this for retirement. Amex would catch on to you and shut you down. I would suspect that you would be constantly opening bank accounts because the banks would shut you down due to the “Laundering” of money orders.

I was tempted to do some calcs to see if this scheme was possible. Never did.
Like I said, if found the story intriguing

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:10 pm

DrGrnTum wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:52 pm
I don’t know if anyone could sustain this for any length of time and eventually use this for retirement. Amex would catch on to you and shut you down. I would suspect that you would be constantly opening bank accounts because the banks would shut you down due to the “Laundering” of money orders.

I find it intriguing, too. But I also think that the bank-bonus/credit-card/travel-rewards game is intrinsically addictive, similarly to gambling or using social media. All these activities hook the user using a psychological tool of intermittent reinforcement. The rewards are available at random times, and the user is driven to check their availability all the time, hoping that a new treat has become available. Once a reward is available, cognitive dissonance reduction prompts the user to apply for this reward, to justify his time and effort spent on finding it.

I was noticing signs of addiction in myself as I was getting deeper into the "game." I have always been a dilettante in the game, and still the pull was strong. Now, I have a balance that works for me. I have to thank Chase for motivating me to wait.

Victoria

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:46 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:10 pm
DrGrnTum wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:52 pm

I find it intriguing, too. But I also think that the bank-bonus/credit-card/travel-rewards game is intrinsically addictive, similarly to gambling or using social media. All these activities hook the user using a psychological tool of intermittent reinforcement. The rewards are available at random times, and the user is driven to check their availability all the time, hoping that a new treat has become available. Once a reward is available, cognitive dissonance reduction prompts the user to apply for this reward, to justify his time and effort spent on finding it.

I was noticing signs of addiction in myself as I was getting deeper into the "game." I have always been a dilettante in the game, and still the pull was strong. Now, I have a balance that works for me. I have to thank Chase for motivating me to wait.

Victoria

I was just starting to get into it, got a couple of $500 bonuses, was proud of myself, then applied for a chase ink businesses was was looking forward to the $800 bonus reinforcement. Then I got rejected because I had 6 in two years, which I hadn't really realized I had done that many, as I'm not a churner per se. Called the reconsideration line, twice, and was slam dunked twice. Now I'm feeling irritated and regret the whole process and not sure if I will keep doing it. While I totally understand Chase's logic to thwart churners, I nonetheless am irritated at them and this has reinforced already negative feelings for them after going through a god awful refi process a few years ago, which I ultimately abandoned after a couple of months with Chase and went with Quicken loans and got it done in about 3 weeks.

beehappy

Post by beehappy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Any suggestions for a no-fee mileage card that'll help me keep my United miles from expiring? I've had a mileageplus card with an annual fee for years, but I don't fly much anymore and so it's not worth the $95 in fees. I want to cancel the card, but keep my miles from expiring.

For my everyday spend, I have BofA (with Preferred Rewards) and Amazon Visa Signature. They gukky meet my needs, so the new card would be solely for maintaining my United miles.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 pm

beehappy wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:48 pm
Any suggestions for a no-fee mileage card that'll help me keep my United miles from expiring? I've had a mileageplus card with an annual fee for years, but I don't fly much anymore and so it's not worth the $95 in fees. I want to cancel the card, but keep my miles from expiring.

For my everyday spend, I have BofA (with Preferred Rewards) and Amazon Visa Signature. They gukky meet my needs, so the new card would be solely for maintaining my United miles.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/new-no ... ited-card/
Other benefits of the United TravelBank Card include 25% back as a statement credit on food and beverage purchases on board United flights, auto rental coverage and trip cancellation/interruption insurance. There are also no foreign transaction fees, which is especially great considering this is a no-annual-fee card.
You may be able to just call and switch the card, unless you want to get a new card to get the upfront bonus.

beehappy

Post by beehappy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:04 pm

JBTX wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Other benefits of the United TravelBank Card include 25% back as a statement credit on food and beverage purchases on board United flights, auto rental coverage and trip cancellation/interruption insurance. There are also no foreign transaction fees, which is especially great considering this is a no-annual-fee card.
You may be able to just call and switch the card, unless you want to get a new card to get the upfront bonus.
Thanks. I saw that. But it doesn't seem to give mileage, rather cash that you can use for purchases on United. All I want is something that i can charge my monthly $.99 for Apple storage to and have that automatically add 1 mile to my mimeageplys account.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:16 pm

beehappy wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:04 pm
JBTX wrote:

Thanks. I saw that. But it doesn't seem to give mileage, rather cash that you can use for purchases on United. All I want is something that i can charge my monthly $.99 for Apple storage to and have that automatically add 1 mile to my mimeageplys account.
Guess you are correct.

You are in similar boat that I am with American. Luckily with my citi Aadvantage card I have always been able to call each year and negotiate the annual fee away for that year, typically for spending $95 in 3 months. I always call the cancel line when I do this. I had another aadvantage card but they wouldn't do that because I hadn't used it in a year, so they won't grant that perk if you don't use it.

Now years ago I tried a similar thing with Delta and they wouldn't do it with their card, so I cancelled.

No idea what United card's policy is. Worst case, if you cancel the card, you can wait a while and then buy a cheap magazine with some points and that usually resets the clock. Then wait a year or two and get another United card with the fee waived the first year.

bluerafters

Post by bluerafters » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:45 am

This’ll be interesting reading for a rainy day. I just have a Chase Freedom Unlimited that gives back 1.5%, if I remember, and I roll that back as statement credit. You guys/gals are a tad more elaborate. :happy

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:54 am

beehappy wrote:

You want to product change your MileagePlus explorer to the no fee MileagePlus Card NOT the Travel Bank card listed above. This card only earns 1 point for every $2 spent and gets no other benefits BUT in my personal experience they haven’t figured this out and I still get most (all?) the MileagePlus Explorer perks such as XN Saver Award space, Group 2 priority boarding, and 25% discount on airport food. I don’t normally check bags so not sure if the free checked bag perk still exists. United Club passes did not show up in the mail this year though... :twisted:

beehappy

Post by beehappy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:00 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:54 am
beehappy wrote:

You want to product change your MileagePlus explorer to the no fee MileagePlus Card NOT the Travel Bank card listed above. This card only earns 1 point for every $2 spent and gets no other benefits BUT in my personal experience they haven’t figured this out and I still get most (all?) the MileagePlus Explorer perks such as XN Saver Award space, Group 2 priority boarding, and 25% discount on airport food. I don’t normally check bags so not sure if the free checked bag perk still exists. United Club passes did not show up in the mail this year though... :twisted:
Awesome. I'll look into that. Thank you.

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:04 am

bluerafters wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:45 am
This’ll be interesting reading for a rainy day. ...
You may find https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/ is entertaining.

bluerafters

Post by bluerafters » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:47 am

spammagnet wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:04 am
bluerafters wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:45 am
This’ll be interesting reading for a rainy day. ...
You may find https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/ is entertaining.
Dear god... :shock:

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:45 am

beehappy wrote:
JBTX wrote:

How often do you fly United? This might be a solution in search of a problem, as the old saying goes. If you fly with United once every 18 months, that's enough to keep your old miles active. There are several other ways to keep your miles active too: https://www.united.com/web/en-us/conten ... ctive.aspx

hale2

Post by hale2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:45 am
beehappy wrote:
JBTX wrote:

How often do you fly United? This might be a solution in search of a problem, as the old saying goes. If you fly with United once every 18 months, that's enough to keep your old miles active. There are several other ways to keep your miles active too: https://www.united.com/web/en-us/conten ... ctive.aspx

I just purchase something through the United shopping website 1-2 months before my miles will expire. You only earn a few points but it counts as account activity and will reset your expiration clock for another 18 months.