What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
protagonist

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by protagonist » Wed May 17, 2017 6:41 pm

travellight wrote:In the mean time, I was turned down for CSR, twice (tried as a Chase private client with local banker helping me the 2nd time), SPG personal and business, Chase Marriott,

CSR is an amazing promotion, travellight, and, IMHO, a good one to keep.

If you keep getting turned down because of too many card openings, and if you have enough points anyway to satisfy your travel needs for the next year or two, I might humbly suggest laying off churning for awhile so you can get the card, Points can be addictive, but he who dies with the most points does not necessarily win.

Ink Business Preferred is also a great promo if they are still offering 80K UR miles. Annual fee waived if you apply in person at a branch.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Wed May 17, 2017 11:34 pm

tedclu wrote:Of course who can forget IhG.

My hand hurts after writing 250 index cards and enovlopes from the 2015 promo.

LOL I did this too. Though I seem to recall it was 94 index cards. And I printed out labels for the envelopes.

My brother got his daughters to help him with his index cards. I'm taking my nieces to NYC next month and have claimed 35K of his points on their behalf for one free hotel night there. :)

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:21 am

protagonist wrote:
travellight wrote:In the mean time, I was turned down for CSR, twice (tried as a Chase private client with local banker helping me the 2nd time), SPG personal and business, Chase Marriott,

If you keep getting turned down because of too many card openings, and if you have enough points anyway to satisfy your travel needs for the next year or two, I might humbly suggest laying off churning for awhile so you can get the card, Points can be addictive, but he who dies with the most points does not necessarily win.

Ink Business Preferred is also a great promo if they are still offering 80K UR miles. Annual fee waived if you apply in person at a branch.

I completely disagree. There is no reason to stop churning to get the CSR. Say you get outsized value of $0.025 per point. That's a $1250 sign up bonus. I wouldn't stop signing up for deals for 2 years to get that.

In fact there are very few cards worth keeping when the AF comes due. That's because no matter how good the rewards are you can get 5x, 10x, 15x per $ while working on a new signup bonus

travellight

Post by travellight » Thu May 18, 2017 8:23 am

protagonist wrote:

Yes, I grapple with that, protagonist. It's less intense of an internal struggle since they lowered the rewards from 100k on the CSR though. I have other great cards for travel such as the citi prestige which I make tremendous use of with the 4th night free benefit; probably $1500+ per year. I'm pretty close to tapering off for a break if I can't get any decent cards worth my while.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu May 18, 2017 8:33 am

travellight wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Yes, I grapple with that, protagonist. It's less intense of an internal struggle since they lowered the rewards from 100k on the CSR though. I have other great cards for travel such as the citi prestige which I make tremendous use of with the 4th night free benefit; probably $1500+ per year. I'm pretty close to tapering off for a break if I can't get any decent cards worth my while.

That is the point I am at now. And I was unaware that CSR lowered their promo. Makes sense to me.

Now I have more points than I need, and I find myself spending a lot of time just making sure that my points don't expire and remembering to cancel cards in time. It's a very profitable game, but with diminishing returns unless one is constantly flying. I have cut back this past year for the sake of simplifying my life. That is why I retired (smile).

travellight

Post by travellight » Thu May 18, 2017 7:58 pm

protagonist wrote:
travellight wrote:
protagonist wrote:

That is the point I am at now. And I was unaware that CSR lowered their promo. Makes sense to me.

Now I have more points than I need, and I find myself spending a lot of time just making sure that my points don't expire and remembering to cancel cards in time. It's a very profitable game, but with diminishing returns unless one is constantly flying. I have cut back this past year for the sake of simplifying my life. That is why I retired (smile).

Sounds like you have won the game! What a nice position to be in. I will probably do more travel when I retire in a few years. I probably spent 10 grand a year in travel even with all these points.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu May 18, 2017 8:35 pm

travellight wrote:Sounds like you have won the game! What a nice position to be in. I will probably do more travel when I retire in a few years. I probably spent 10 grand a year in travel even with all these points.

You are traveling much more than I am these days.

I typically take two big trips per year.

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Fri May 19, 2017 11:28 am

Jags4186 wrote:
protagonist wrote:

I completely disagree. There is no reason to stop churning to get the CSR. Say you get outsized value of $0.025 per point. That's a $1250 sign up bonus. I wouldn't stop signing up for deals for 2 years to get that.

In fact there are very few cards worth keeping when the AF comes due. That's because no matter how good the rewards are you can get 5x, 10x, 15x per $ while working on a new signup bonus

As someone sitting at ~30/24, I tend to agree with you but I think one needs to look at the big picture to fully analyze the scenario you mention. Some points to consider:

If you do wait out 5/24 the following occurs:
* You reset your 24 mo clock on all Chase cards meaning you can get more than just CSR (CSP, Ink, United, Mariott, etc)
* Specifically, you can get SW x 2 for CP - probably the most valuable item in this hobby assuming you can make use of it
* You reset your 24 mo clocks on Citi cards
* You reset the number of hardpulls on your credit reports
* You can still get most business cards during the 24 mo cooldown
* You can still get 4 cards during the cooldown period so you can be picky and wait for big ones like 100k Plat.
* If you are in 2 player mode, you can just help SO work on min spend while they continue churning as usual.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 11:46 am

Chase doesn't care about inquiries, right? only number of new accounts?
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri May 19, 2017 11:56 am

sharpjm wrote:* Specifically, you can get SW x 2 for CP - probably the most valuable item in this hobby assuming you can make use of it

What is SW? And CP? (wondering if I am missing out on "the most valuable item")

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 pm

SW= Southwest
CP= Companion Pass

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Fri May 19, 2017 12:13 pm

protagonist wrote:
sharpjm wrote:* Specifically, you can get SW x 2 for CP - probably the most valuable item in this hobby assuming you can make use of it

What is SW? And CP? (wondering if I am missing out on "the most valuable item")

Southwest and Companion Pass. The Southwest Companion Pass is achieved once one accrues 110,000 Rapid Rewards Points. This allows you to fly with one companion "for free," which means just pay the $5.60 tax. This is good for the entire year you earn it along with the second year. Naturally, the best time to earn this is January or February so you have almost two years. Normally, both cards, the Premier and the Plus each have a 50,000 point sign up bonus if you spend $2,000 within the first three months. That would put you at 104,000 points. Before, hotel transfers counted but they don't anymore, so the 6,000 remaining points must be earned either through credit card spend or flying Southwest. Recently, there was an offer of 60,000 points for the business card which would have made earning the companion pass easy. That was the 30 second version.

Also, PSA: the Delta Amex cards are now at historic highs. 60,000 miles + $50 statement credit with $3,000 minimum spend within the first four months and 70,000 miles + $100 statement credit with $4,000 minimum within the first four months for the Platinum. These are public offers.

travellight

Post by travellight » Fri May 19, 2017 1:53 pm

sharpjm wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
protagonist wrote:

As someone sitting at ~30/24, I tend to agree with you but I think one needs to look at the big picture to fully analyze the scenario you mention. Some points to consider:

* You reset your 24 mo clock on all Chase cards meaning you can get more than just CSR (CSP, Ink, United, Mariott, etc)
* Specifically, you can get SW x 2 for CP - probably the most valuable item in this hobby assuming you can make use of it
* You can still get 4 cards during the cooldown period so you can be picky and wait for big ones like 100k Plat.
* If you are in 2 player mode, you can just help SO work on min spend while they continue churning as usual.

Please elaborate on the four cards during the cool down. Doesn't Chase look at all credit cards during this time period? Also, I thought that acquiring business cards was affected by the 5/24 rule but once acquired the business cards won't count to 5/24?

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Fri May 19, 2017 1:59 pm

travellight wrote:
sharpjm wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Please elaborate on the four cards during the cool down. Doesn't Chase look at all credit cards during this time period? Also, I thought that acquiring business cards was affected by the 5/24 rule but once acquired the business cards won't count to 5/24?

I will just give an example as it is probably easier to explain and understand.

Say you get 1 card per month for 2 years straight and you're ready to go into 5/24 "cooldown". Your clock starts on that date, lets call it "X", and after 24 months you will be at 0/24. That means you can get up to 4 cards during that period and still drop below 5/24 on the X date initially set. Of course you can't get any 5/24 Chase cards during the cooldown, but again you can be picky and wait for really great offers from Amex, Citi, WF, BoA, etc who don't have any form of 5/24 rule.

Chase business cards are affected by 5/24 rule (except for Marriott) but you can get other business cards during that time (Citi, Amex, etc). Just note that some business cards do show up on credit reports and will count against 5/24 - Capital One biz cards are the first to come to mind. But most don't.
Last edited by sharpjm on Fri May 19, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Fri May 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:Chase doesn't care about inquiries, right? only number of new accounts?

Chase does not have any hard and fast rule (like 5/24) related to inquiries but it is always something that every bank considers on an application. Some banks are extremely sensitive to # of inquiries - Barclays probably being the most prominent.

If you are going "easy" at this and only have a few inquiries on each report, there isn't much to worry about. But for those going crazy and get 2 cards per month, they will likely hit a wall where banks are denying apps due to the large number of inquiries.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:41 pm

sharpjm wrote:As someone sitting at ~30/24, I tend to agree with you but I think one needs to look at the big picture to fully analyze the scenario you mention. Some points to consider:

Yes it's completely up to you what you value. I think if you've truly planned it out it could potentially be worth cooling down. But I'm a very big believer in hit it hard for as long as it lasts. For all we know other banks may institute AMEX once per lifetime rules. If that happens you screwed yourself waiting.

But in general, I am more focused on cash rewards at the moment. Between my wife and I we have over 400,000 Chase points, 200,000 unusable AA miles, 300,000 MR, 200,000 Starpoints, and over 100,000 United miles. And we already have two vacations planned to Hawaii and Europe already paid for with points. We just don't have the time to use all these--we take two 1 week vacations a year and have access to my family's beach house in the summer.

We are up to over $6000 in bank bonuses this year...my goal is to get to $10k but since M&T shut us down that might be tough...

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri May 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
We are up to over $6000 in bank bonuses this year...my goal is to get to $10k but since M&T shut us down that might be tough...

I'm curious about this.
Most bank bonuses are in the $100-500 range and require a latent period for re-application.
How did you get $6000 in such a short time period?

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:32 pm

protagonist wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

I'm curious about this.
Most bank bonuses are in the $100-500 range and require a latent period for re-application.

Wife and I opened 18 M&T bank accounts at $200-$250 a pop. They have no limit and let you reuse promo codes and bonuses post instantly. Have fun! Beware of shutdown.

Also PNC $300x2
HSBC $350x2
Chase $300x2
Some others that haven't paid yet I'd have to look at my list.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:43 pm

I need to start keeping better track of which cards I've had, and my wife, and when. I had to use live chat with AMEX to see if I had applied for a card before. I hadn't and got the AMEX gold premiere rewards. My wife was the one that had it prior :oops:

I've started a list on the "notes" app on the MacBook. Should make things easier.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

I'm curious about this.

Wife and I opened 18 M&T bank accounts at $200-$250 a pop. They have no limit and let you reuse promo codes and bonuses post instantly. Have fun! Beware of shutdown.

Also PNC $300x2
HSBC $350x2
Chase $300x2

God, I love that! I so wish I lived in a state where I could use and reuse for bonuses. Just learned about bank bonuses this year, up to $1900 with my wife and I. Should be at around $3000 when other bonuses mature in early summer.

sharpjm

Post by sharpjm » Fri May 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
sharpjm wrote:As someone sitting at ~30/24, I tend to agree with you but I think one needs to look at the big picture to fully analyze the scenario you mention. Some points to consider:

Yes it's completely up to you what you value. I think if you've truly planned it out it could potentially be worth cooling down. But I'm a very big believer in hit it hard for as long as it lasts. For all we know other banks may institute AMEX once per lifetime rules. If that happens you screwed yourself waiting.

But in general, I am more focused on cash rewards at the moment. Between my wife and I we have over 400,000 Chase points, 200,000 unusable AA miles, 300,000 MR, 200,000 Starpoints, and over 100,000 United miles. And we already have two vacations planned to Hawaii and Europe already paid for with points. We just don't have the time to use all these--we take two 1 week vacations a year and have access to my family's beach house in the summer.

I'm in the same boat as you right now. So many points/miles and not enough free time to use them. I just cashed in 400k MRs through Schwab actually. This is after we already have 2 international trips and 2 domestic trip planned within the next 8 months, mostly or fully funded by points. I'm starting to look at cashback cards more seriously even though the bonuses are typically only 200 or 250.

Very impressive on the M&T. I am terrified of clawbacks so I've only gotten a couple so far this year. Did M&T threaten any clawback?

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:14 pm

sharpjm wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

I'm in the same boat as you right now. So many points/miles and not enough free time to use them. I just cashed in 400k MRs through Schwab actually. This is after we already have 2 international trips and 2 domestic trip planned within the next 8 months, mostly or fully funded by points. I'm starting to look at cashback cards more seriously even though the bonuses are typically only 200 or 250.

Very impressive on the M&T. I am terrified of clawbacks so I've only gotten a couple so far this year. Did M&T threaten any clawback?

The banker claimed "they could press charges" and then just told me they would be "ending their relationship". I kept all the bonuses. I assume that's the end of it.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 pm

The M&T application has boxes to check to confirm whether you have any existing accounts.

Unless you made false entries, I don't see how they could press charges. I am curious how many you got to, before they blew the whistle.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 pm

The M&T application has boxes to check to confirm whether you have any existing accounts.

Unless you made false entries, I don't see how they could press charges. I am curious how many you got to, before they blew the whistle.

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:21 am

Jags4186 wrote:
sharpjm wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

The banker claimed "they could press charges" and then just told me they would be "ending their relationship". I kept all the bonuses. I assume that's the end of it.

:shock:

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat May 20, 2017 9:37 am

Do Home Depot or Lowes sell VGCs in various denominations? up to and including $500?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:19 am

I've seen the Prestige mentioned. I was thinking of getting one. If I get the annual travel credit twice that is $500 and then you get $400/$500 in points ($500 if used for travel). AF is $450. Also lounge access and no foreign transaction fees. I already have Global Entry so that reimbursement doesn't help me. The lounges I have through CSR. It might make sense for me to wait until I cancel my CSR before the annual fee in Oct.

Is the hotel benefit worth anything? Free night after 4th booked through them. Not sure how their prices are.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun May 21, 2017 11:00 am

sharpjm wrote:
travellight wrote:
sharpjm wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
protagonist wrote:

I will just give an example as it is probably easier to explain and understand.

Say you get 1 card per month for 2 years straight and you're ready to go into 5/24 "cooldown". Your clock starts on that date, lets call it "X", and after 24 months you will be at 0/24. That means you can get up to 4 cards during that period and still drop below 5/24 on the X date initially set. Of course you can't get any 5/24 Chase cards during the cooldown, but again you can be picky and wait for really great offers from Amex, Citi, WF, BoA, etc who don't have any form of 5/24 rule.

Chase business cards are affected by 5/24 rule (except for Marriott) but you can get other business cards during that time (Citi, Amex, etc). Just note that some business cards do show up on credit reports and will count against 5/24 - Capital One biz cards are the first to come to mind. But most don't.

"Say you get 1 card per month for 2 years straight and you're ready to go into 5/24 "cooldown". Your clock starts on that date, lets call it "X", and after 24 months you will be at 0/24." I followed you through this sentence but couldn't follow the next one.... how do you get up to 4 cards during that period if you stop getting cards at date X?

didn't follow this: "That means you can get up to 4 cards during that period and still drop below 5/24 on the X date initially set. Of course you can't get any 5/24 Chase cards during the cooldown, but again you can be picky and wait for really great offers from Amex, Citi, WF, BoA, etc who don't have any form of 5/24 rule."

Thanks for the business cards explanation.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun May 21, 2017 11:02 am

michaeljc70 wrote:I've seen the Prestige mentioned. I was thinking of getting one. If I get the annual travel credit twice that is $500 and then you get $400/$500 in points ($500 if used for travel). AF is $450. Also lounge access and no foreign transaction fees. I already have Global Entry so that reimbursement doesn't help me. The lounges I have through CSR. It might make sense for me to wait until I cancel my CSR before the annual fee in Oct.

Is the hotel benefit worth anything? Free night after 4th booked through them. Not sure how their prices are.

Experiences may vary but I have had generally great experience with the citi concierge. If you travel frequently and would stay at least 4 days, I think this is worth it. I am renewing this year because of this benefit alone. I was on the phone with one of them just this past week and she spent an hour an a half trying to get what I wanted. I research the best deal I can find on the internet and she calls the hotel and tries to get them to match that rate.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun May 21, 2017 12:20 pm

travellight wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:I've seen the Prestige mentioned. I was thinking of getting one. If I get the annual travel credit twice that is $500 and then you get $400/$500 in points ($500 if used for travel). AF is $450. Also lounge access and no foreign transaction fees. I already have Global Entry so that reimbursement doesn't help me. The lounges I have through CSR. It might make sense for me to wait until I cancel my CSR before the annual fee in Oct.

Experiences may vary but I have had generally great experience with the citi concierge. If you travel frequently and would stay at least 4 days, I think this is worth it. I am renewing this year because of this benefit alone. I was on the phone with one of them just this past week and she spent an hour an a half trying to get what I wanted. I research the best deal I can find on the internet and she calls the hotel and tries to get them to match that rate.

What type of "citi concierge"?

We used to make terrific use of the Amex Plat Concierge service.
They found some "unfindable" things for us back before "Google"/etc., and also grabbed some "sold out" hot toys at holiday times.

But recently, they tend to ignore the specifics in a query/request, or just send back a short response with a Google link. :annoyed
Needless to say, I had tried a bunch of online searches before turning to them.

We really only keep that card because the hotel perks add up to more in actual cash than the annual fee, plus the additional perks that don't have an exact cash value (or offer an upgrade that we'd never have paid for, and sometimes decline because we chose a specific view or such).
And their Travel Service has also been able to get rooms at "totally sold out" hotels more than a few times.
(We figure in those cases, the hotel might be overbooking, and make a point of arriving early-ish *or* calling to let them know that we are really going to arrive, etc.)
We also use the Membership Rewards Miles for great value in freebie premium travel, with a variety of their partner airlines. That is worth a *lot* to us these days. (With that, and AAdvantage, we've got quite a selection of airlines available.)

But a *good* concierge service would be terrific to know about, if it isn't one that has it's own (high?) fee.

Thanks!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun May 21, 2017 5:41 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
travellight wrote:

They found some "unfindable" things for us back before "Google"/etc., and also grabbed some "sold out" hot toys at holiday times.

But recently, they tend to ignore the specifics in a query/request, or just send back a short response with a Google link. :annoyed

We really only keep that card because the hotel perks add up to more in actual cash than the annual fee, plus the additional perks that don't have an exact cash value (or offer an upgrade that we'd never have paid for, and sometimes decline because we chose a specific view or such).
And their Travel Service has also been able to get rooms at "totally sold out" hotels more than a few times.
(We figure in those cases, the hotel might be overbooking, and make a point of arriving early-ish *or* calling to let them know that we are really going to arrive, etc.)
We also use the Membership Rewards Miles for great value in freebie premium travel, with a variety of their partner airlines. That is worth a *lot* to us these days. (With that, and AAdvantage, we've got quite a selection of airlines available.)

But a *good* concierge service would be terrific to know about, if it isn't one that has it's own (high?) fee.

Thanks!

RM

It is the Citi Prestige credit card, RM.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:49 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
travellight wrote:

Thanks!

RM

You have to book the hotel through their concierge to get the bonus night.

From Citi's site:

"For everything from the ordinary to the extraordinary. Whether it’s exclusive dinner reservations at one of our Preferred Restaurants, Tickets to Sought-After Concerts, Broadway Shows and Sporting Events or Unforgettable Sightseeing and Tours, let Citi® Concierge connect you to all things exceptional."

So, it is like a travel agent mostly. It sounds like they are not going to figure out where to take your tuxedo to be cleaned or order flowers for you.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon May 22, 2017 10:15 am

Jags4186 wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

I'm curious about this.

Also PNC $300x2
HSBC $350x2
Chase $300x2

Wow! 18 M+T Bank accounts? Can you give me more details? I see they offer promotions of $100-250 each. How did you get 18 in less than a year? Did you open the accounts simultaneously? Did you meet the direct deposit requirement via EFT from other accounts, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Mon May 22, 2017 12:55 pm

I'm looking for ideas on the next card to get. This time, I have a specific trip in mind. I'd like to go ATL-TYO; CTS-ATL in February. My preference would be nonstop ATL-TYO but I'm willing to connect if the layover is relatively short. I'm also willing to book an award ticket in coach then pay to upgrade to premium economy.

That said, I'm currently above 5/24 and already have a CSR which I plan to cancel by the end of the year before the next annual fee comes due. I also already have a Platinum SkyMiles AmEx that is my primary card. My first thought was the Platinum AmEx that currently has a 60k sign on bonus. I would then transfer the MR points to Delta and book an award ticket through them (I already have some SkyMiles, just not enough right now). Anyone have a better suggestion?

-Steph

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Mon May 22, 2017 1:30 pm

SRenaeP wrote:I'm looking for ideas on the next card to get. This time, I have a specific trip in mind. I'd like to go ATL-TYO; CTS-ATL in February. My preference would be nonstop ATL-TYO but I'm willing to connect if the layover is relatively short. I'm also willing to book an award ticket in coach then pay to upgrade to premium economy.

That said, I'm currently above 5/24 and already have a CSR which I plan to cancel by the end of the year before the next annual fee comes due. I also already have a Platinum SkyMiles AmEx that is my primary card. My first thought was the Platinum AmEx that currently has a 60k sign on bonus. I would then transfer the MR points to Delta and book an award ticket through them (I already have some SkyMiles, just not enough right now). Anyone have a better suggestion?

-Steph

You must be referring to the Delta Gold Amex. That would work if you have some MR and Skymiles already. Maybe the Citi AA for 60,000 miles. Combine it with the Barclays Aviator Red for another 40,000 miles to give you 100,000 AA miles. That could work as well to give you some options.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:44 pm

protagonist wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

I'm curious about this.

Also PNC $300x2
HSBC $350x2
Chase $300x2

Wow! 18 M+T Bank accounts? Can you give me more details? I see they offer promotions of $100-250 each. How did you get 18 in less than a year? Did you open the accounts simultaneously? Did you meet the direct deposit requirement via EFT from other accounts, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Just keep opening them online. No secret sauce. I always did an ACH push to trigger DD.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Mon May 22, 2017 2:01 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
SRenaeP wrote:I'm looking for ideas on the next card to get. This time, I have a specific trip in mind. I'd like to go ATL-TYO; CTS-ATL in February. My preference would be nonstop ATL-TYO but I'm willing to connect if the layover is relatively short. I'm also willing to book an award ticket in coach then pay to upgrade to premium economy.

-Steph

You must be referring to the Delta Gold Amex. That would work if you have some MR and Skymiles already. Maybe the Citi AA for 60,000 miles. Combine it with the Barclays Aviator Red for another 40,000 miles to give you 100,000 AA miles. That could work as well to give you some options.

AA doesn't have the CTS-ATL return that I need. Not the gold, the platinum for the SkyMiles AmEx. Interestingly enough, for the non-SkyMile platinum, the sign on bonus is showing as 75k MR points now. I don't currently have any MR but I'm thinking 75k plus my existing SkyMiles should get me there.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/cred ... /platinum/

-Steph

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Mon May 22, 2017 3:10 pm

SRenaeP wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:

-Steph

AA doesn't have the CTS-ATL return that I need. Not the gold, the platinum for the SkyMiles AmEx. Interestingly enough, for the non-SkyMile platinum, the sign on bonus is showing as 75k MR points now. I don't currently have any MR but I'm thinking 75k plus my existing SkyMiles should get me there.

-Steph

Ah, okay. My apologies. Have you also gotten the Delta Gold Amex? Currently has a 60,000 mile bonus. If you don't have the Amex Premier Rewards Gold, that has an incognito mode offer of 50,000 Membership Rewards with $2,000 spend plus a $100 airline credit. That plus the Delta Gold bonus should get you there. Depending on how many you need, you could incognito offer an Amex Everyday Preferred or Amex Everyday to get the bonus there. The latter methods avoid the $550 annual fee the Amex Platinum charges.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Mon May 22, 2017 5:30 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
SRenaeP wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:

-Steph

-Steph

Ah, okay. My apologies. Have you also gotten the Delta Gold Amex? Currently has a 60,000 mile bonus. If you don't have the Amex Premier Rewards Gold, that has an incognito mode offer of 50,000 Membership Rewards with $2,000 spend plus a $100 airline credit. That plus the Delta Gold bonus should get you there. Depending on how many you need, you could incognito offer an Amex Everyday Preferred or Amex Everyday to get the bonus there. The latter methods avoid the $550 annual fee the Amex Platinum charges.

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't gotten the Delta gold AmEx. I didn't consider/realize having two Delta cards at the same time. For the Premier Gold, do you know if the bonus is only once per lifetime? Looking back at my records, I believe I had this card 2004-2013. Those are definitely better options than paying the AmEx platinum annual fee!

-Steph

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon May 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Jags4186 wrote:Just keep opening them online. No secret sauce. I always did an ACH push to trigger DD.

Can you open more than one account of the same type simultaneously?

Which bank did you use the ACH push from?

Thanks.....

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:50 pm

protagonist wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:Just keep opening them online. No secret sauce. I always did an ACH push to trigger DD.

Thanks.....

I never did multiple at once I always waited until I got the bonus before opening another. That said from open to bonus is under a week. I pushed from Ally. They offer 1 day ACH transfers and instant account verification.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Mon May 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Thanks.....

I never did multiple at once I always waited until I got the bonus before opening another. That said from open to bonus is under a week. I pushed from Ally. They offer 1 day ACH transfers and instant account verification.

Thanks for passing along this information. This seems to be an excellent offer. How do you typically handle account closure for these types of offers? Do you just transfer the entire balance out or do you go into a branch/make a phone call to "officially" close the account?

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:42 am

Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Thanks.....

Thanks for passing along this information. This seems to be an excellent offer. How do you typically handle account closure for these types of offers? Do you just transfer the entire balance out or do you go into a branch/make a phone call to "officially" close the account?

The "official" word is if you close before 6 months you will be faced with a $50 early closure fee. Afterwards you should be able to drain and close via secure message.

I never got that far. I was locked out of my accounts and when I went to the branch they chose to "end their relationship with me" and closed my 9 accounts without the fee.

My wife was not as lucky. When she went down they informed her that they were revoking her online access but if she were to close her 9 accounts today we'd have to pay $50 each plus $10 each for a cashiers check to drain each account. We were not about to spend $540. I fortunately have all of these accounts still linked to Ally so I am going to blindly push $0.01 a month into them. That should keep them fee free until 6 months is up then we can go down and close them all.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Tue May 23, 2017 8:21 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
protagonist wrote:

Thanks.....

The "official" word is if you close before 6 months you will be faced with a $50 early closure fee. Afterwards you should be able to drain and close via secure message.

I never got that far. I was locked out of my accounts and when I went to the branch they chose to "end their relationship with me" and closed my 9 accounts without the fee.

My wife was not as lucky. When she went down they informed her that they were revoking her online access but if she were to close her 9 accounts today we'd have to pay $50 each plus $10 each for a cashiers check to drain each account. We were not about to spend $540. I fortunately have all of these accounts still linked to Ally so I am going to blindly push $0.01 a month into them. That should keep them fee free until 6 months is up then we can go down and close them all.

Thanks for the tip on closing through a secure message. Sorry to hear about your accounts being locked. Perhaps you might be able to reestablish a relationship with them again down the road. If not, the amount you've already made in bonuses through them is not too bad.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Tue May 23, 2017 9:04 am

SRenaeP wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:
SRenaeP wrote:
BeneIRA wrote:

-Steph

-Steph

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't gotten the Delta gold AmEx. I didn't consider/realize having two Delta cards at the same time. For the Premier Gold, do you know if the bonus is only once per lifetime? Looking back at my records, I believe I had this card 2004-2013. Those are definitely better options than paying the AmEx platinum annual fee!

-Steph

The PRG is once per lifetime, so that wouldn't be an option. You can have the Delta Gold if you haven't had it before and maybe try to get the Amex Everyday Preferred incognito offer for 30,000 MR, although it has a $95 annual fee.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue May 23, 2017 9:29 am

Bfwolf wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:I am seeing mixed reports on the Chase IHG Card:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/ih ... MasterCard

Do any of you know for sure whether this one counts toward. 5/24?

Thanks

Yes it will count toward 5/24. You will not be rejected by it if you are over 5/24 though.

I have the card and recommend it. The intro bonus isn't great but the annual free night for $49 is very good value.

This is an old link but I think you can still get 80K points by calling in but not the $50 offer anymore. Flyertalk would have more info on that.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2 ... s-plus-50/

I had the Chase IHG card and cancelled it when the annual fee was due. Do you know how soon I could re-apply for it?

Right now I have over 100k IHG points and I am slowly draining them by using 15k points for 1-night stays at the Prague airport for the convenience of getting the next day morning flight.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue May 23, 2017 9:51 am

Bfwolf wrote:
tedclu wrote:Of course who can forget IhG.

My hand hurts after writing 250 index cards and enovlopes from the 2015 promo.

LOL I did this too. Though I seem to recall it was 94 index cards. And I printed out labels for the envelopes.

My brother got his daughters to help him with his index cards. I'm taking my nieces to NYC next month and have claimed 35K of his points on their behalf for one free hotel night there. :)

I did it all by hand, I did not trust IHG to accept printed labels.

These days I am sending 6 monthly messages to IHGSurveySweeps@HelloWorldfulfillment.com with the text
"I would like to enter the Sweepstakes without completing a survey. I understand and agree that I am providing my information to the Administrator of this Sweepstakes and that my information will be stored on servers in the United States and used only for purposes of administering the Sweepstakes."

Nothing came out of this (yet?), but sending email is far easier than righting cards.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue May 23, 2017 10:03 am

SRenaeP wrote:That said, I'm currently above 5/24 and already have a CSR which I plan to cancel by the end of the year before the next annual fee comes due.

-Steph

Steph,

Before you cancel a CSR ensure that you have another Chase card to hold and transfer URs.

Victoria

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue May 23, 2017 9:21 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Bfwolf wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:I am seeing mixed reports on the Chase IHG Card:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/ih ... MasterCard

Do any of you know for sure whether this one counts toward. 5/24?

Thanks

Yes it will count toward 5/24. You will not be rejected by it if you are over 5/24 though.

I have the card and recommend it. The intro bonus isn't great but the annual free night for $49 is very good value.

This is an old link but I think you can still get 80K points by calling in but not the $50 offer anymore. Flyertalk would have more info on that.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2 ... s-plus-50/

I had the Chase IHG card and cancelled it when the annual fee was due. Do you know how soon I could re-apply for it?

Right now I have over 100k IHG points and I am slowly draining them by using 15k points for 1-night stays at the Prague airport for the convenience of getting the next day morning flight.

Victoria

I think the IHG card is def. worth keeping.
Annual fee is only $49/month.
Last year I stayed at the London Intercontinental free.
This year I am staying in a similar very expensive property free in Dublin.
IMHO, it is the best of the hotel cards to keep, given the low annual fee and ease of finding rooms.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:31 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
SRenaeP wrote:That said, I'm currently above 5/24 and already have a CSR which I plan to cancel by the end of the year before the next annual fee comes due.

-Steph

Steph,

Before you cancel a CSR ensure that you have another Chase card to hold and transfer URs.

Victoria

Don't cancel, downgrade to a Chase Freedom. If you have no immediate plans to use points you can always upgrade to a sapphire preferred to regain your transfer abilities.