What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
rjbraun

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by rjbraun » Fri May 05, 2017 3:50 pm

AW89 wrote: -I need to cancel my chase preferred card and then I am eligible to reapply and receive the initial 50K bonus again as it has been over 24 months since I last received that cards associated bonus - this is how it was explained to me by a Chase representative
Interesting, I hadn't considered that. I got a Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) card around Aug 2015. In Sept 2016 I downgraded to Chase Freedom. As long as I am below 5/24 should I be in good shape to get approved for another CSP including sign-on bonus? Oh, I see that I need to determine when Chase deposited the sign-up bonus in my account, is that it? So, if it was, say, Nov 2015, then I should plan to apply for another CSP in December 2017 (just to be safe), is that right?

Edit: I got both CSR (Sept) and Chase Ink Business Preferred (late Nov) last year, in case that's relevant at all.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri May 05, 2017 4:22 pm

I use my USAA Cashback Rewards Plus American Express Card for my gas and military base purchases to get a 5% cashback. For everything else I use my USAA Limitless Cashback Rewards Visa Signature Card to get a 2.5% cashback.

I'm considering later in this year to start applying for cards that offer x amount of cashback reward if I charge x amount of purchases in the first 3 months or whatever.

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Drew777 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:Very surprised to get approved for a Capital One Venture card.

Got my first Cap One card June 2016 and closed it late February this year. We are headed to Italy in a few months and I wanted to get the card for points and for fee free international purchases. I've opened 15 cards since January 2016. Between only closing the card 2+ months ago and having so many accounts, I thought I was sunk. I just applied on a whim, really thinking it would not work. I guess the catch could be that they will not give me the points (40,000) again - will know soon!

Churn baby, churn.
You shouldn't have any trouble getting the points, Capital One bonuses are churnable. Granted most people don't churn them much since they pull all your report from all three bureaus and the points are fixed value. You likely still have plenty of room to get more bonuses, 15 cards isn't that extreme in this hobby :wink:
Yes, you are right. I always think my wife's cards are my strategy as well - so between the two of us we have opened 27 cards in the past 16 months. That seems like a lot, but we keep getting approved!

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:46 am

pennstater2005 wrote: If there is fraud I'll get a phone call or letter.
Are you sure? Seems very risky. I suppose checking your credit reports annually would also work, but what if a thief maxes out the card 9 months or more before you catch it?

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Sat May 06, 2017 11:45 am

Question - is it worth canceling a Capital One Quicksilver card (1.5% cash back) to open a new Capital One Premier Dining Rewards card (3% on restaurants)? My understanding is that Cap One is not allowing a PC to the Dining card at this time. Or should I just wait a while until Cap One allows a PC?

I'm not really using Quicksilver much, since I have a Citi Double Cash (2.0%) now and will soon have a BoA Travel Rewards (2.63%), but the 3% on dining would be nice.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat May 06, 2017 12:39 pm

gvsucavie03 wrote:
Are you sure? Seems very risky. I suppose checking your credit reports annually would also work, but what if a thief maxes out the card 9 months or more before you catch it?
If you stick to paper billing (which you probably should if you're churning at a high level), you'll get a bill in the mail if a zero-balance card suddenly gets charges against it. You won't get bills in the mail if there is no activity on the card.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:40 pm

gvsucavie03 wrote:
I wouldn't be responsible for it though. I would have to call the credit reporting agencies right? I've begun cancelling the cards anyway as there are too many to track. I'm keeping the oldest ones and having the available credit increased.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat May 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:
If you stick to paper billing (which you probably should if you're churning at a high level), you'll get a bill in the mail if a zero-balance card suddenly gets charges against it. You won't get bills in the mail if there is no activity on the card.
Good point.

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat May 06, 2017 3:31 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:
I wouldn't be responsible for it though. I would have to call the credit reporting agencies right? I've begun cancelling the cards anyway as there are too many to track. I'm keeping the oldest ones and having the available credit increased.
Still increases the chance of ID theft and the hassle that goes along with it. But old ones staying open with high credit limits is good for your score.

j9j

Post by j9j » Sat May 06, 2017 4:09 pm

I have been doing a bit on streamlining lately. PreviousIy rotated with

Chase Freedom Bonus categories
Discover for Bonus Categories
Chase United for United spend
Chase Ink for Business category spend along with Mobile
Fido Visa for General 2%
Capital one for Foreign spend
along with periodic new card spend for signup bonus. This has resulted in quite a few cards and I have started closing out.

Now with BoA Platinum Preferred I primarily use
BoA Cash rewards for gas, groceries and wholesaleclubs (3.75 -5.25%)
Fido general 2% spend
Chase Ink to maintain UR points and business expenses

I still maintain Capital1 for any out of country spend.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:10 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:Card bonuses are not taxable (same as rewards), correct?
Correct. I've never received any forms for income. I will say that Wells Fargo has some nice offers as well. We just signed my wife up for a $200 reward for 1k spend. They have 2 more cards with the same offer and another with a 3K spend requirement. That's up to $1600 between the four cards if you do it for yourself and a spouse, which is my plan. I don't know if Wells Fargo has any limitations in place but we'll find out! We've been getting Lowe's or Home Depot gift cards lately as I always have a need for those. And because the Wells Fargo card was long paid off by the time the bonus came around.
Well, my wife was denied the Wells Fargo card. Reason was too many recently opened cards. There goes that idea :greedy
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Sat May 06, 2017 6:34 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:
Correct. I've never received any forms for income. I will say that Wells Fargo has some nice offers as well. We just signed my wife up for a $200 reward for 1k spend. They have 2 more cards with the same offer and another with a 3K spend requirement. That's up to $1600 between the four cards if you do it for yourself and a spouse, which is my plan. I don't know if Wells Fargo has any limitations in place but we'll find out! We've been getting Lowe's or Home Depot gift cards lately as I always have a need for those. And because the Wells Fargo card was long paid off by the time the bonus came around.
Well, my wife was denied the Wells Fargo card. Reason was too many recently opened cards. There goes that idea :greedy
I actually just got this card a couple of weeks ago and I'm already $750 in (car tabs and mother's day helped). I only care for cash back and I'm finding I prefer my Quicksilver card over the Cash Wise, so once I hit that $1k, I may just shelve it and go back to Quicksilver for everything. I might use it for my cell phone payment due to the $600 cell phone insurance, though, just to keep the card active, but the odds of that ever being an issue are negligible at best. Though I may just shelve both it and my Amex and let them die since I prefer to have everything on one card, in one place.

AW89

Post by AW89 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:30 pm

rjbraun wrote:
AW89 wrote: -I need to cancel my chase preferred card and then I am eligible to reapply and receive the initial 50K bonus again as it has been over 24 months since I last received that cards associated bonus - this is how it was explained to me by a Chase representative
Interesting, I hadn't considered that. I got a Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) card around Aug 2015. In Sept 2016 I downgraded to Chase Freedom. As long as I am below 5/24 should I be in good shape to get approved for another CSP including sign-on bonus? Oh, I see that I need to determine when Chase deposited the sign-up bonus in my account, is that it? So, if it was, say, Nov 2015, then I should plan to apply for another CSP in December 2017 (just to be safe), is that right?

Edit: I got both CSR (Sept) and Chase Ink Business Preferred (late Nov) last year, in case that's relevant at all.
From how it was explained to me, yes, you would be eligible again to receive the bonus. I would just call and ask to be safe. The couple of times I have had to call Chase they have answered pretty quick and I have been satisfied with the customer service. Actually the only reason I still have this card is because I talked them out of the annual fee last time so I have kept it going another year.

Coolstavi

Post by Coolstavi » Sat May 06, 2017 9:44 pm

I have to pay the my property tax bill soon which will help me hit a spend (it's about 2k). What card should I apply for? Already have 2 CSRs and a southwest card. I am over the 5/24 but my wife can get a Chase card.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sun May 07, 2017 12:50 pm

I am seeing mixed reports on the Chase IHG Card:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/ih ... MasterCard

Do any of you know for sure whether this one counts toward. 5/24?

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Sun May 07, 2017 3:52 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:I am seeing mixed reports on the Chase IHG Card:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/ih ... MasterCard

Do any of you know for sure whether this one counts toward. 5/24?

Thanks
Yes it will count toward 5/24. You will not be rejected by it if you are over 5/24 though.

I have the card and recommend it. The intro bonus isn't great but the annual free night for $49 is very good value.

This is an old link but I think you can still get 80K points by calling in but not the $50 offer anymore. Flyertalk would have more info on that.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2 ... s-plus-50/

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Sun May 07, 2017 4:27 pm

AW89 wrote:
rjbraun wrote:

From how it was explained to me, yes, you would be eligible again to receive the bonus. I would just call and ask to be safe. The couple of times I have had to call Chase they have answered pretty quick and I have been satisfied with the customer service. Actually the only reason I still have this card is because I talked them out of the annual fee last time so I have kept it going another year.
Thanks, I completely "blanked" on the idea of getting another CSP, but I guess that is what 'churn' means :wink:

Good for you and your persuasive powers. :beer I was unable to get them to bend on the annual fee.

AirTimeMD

Post by AirTimeMD » Sun May 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Hello Bogleheads,

I have about 200,000 points accrued on Chase Sapphire Reserve and 150,000 accrued on American Express Platinum. I know of sites such as thepointsguy.com and read the articles about how he takes lavish vacations using points. Is there a website you guys would direct me to for absolute beginners that would best familiarize me with how to best use my points. I'd really love if I were able to use my points to pay for a Hawaii vacation but I don't know the most efficient way to go about doing so.

Really appreciate any website referrals that are great for beginners.

Thank you!

ATD

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun May 07, 2017 5:55 pm

AirTimeMD wrote:Hello Bogleheads,

I have about 200,000 points accrued on Chase Sapphire Reserve and 150,000 accrued on American Express Platinum. I know of sites such as thepointsguy.com and read the articles about how he takes lavish vacations using points. Is there a website you guys would direct me to for absolute beginners that would best familiarize me with how to best use my points. I'd really love if I were able to use my points to pay for a Hawaii vacation but I don't know the most efficient way to go about doing so.

Thank you!

ATD
I don't think there is an all-in-one website for beginners. Probably the closest to an all-in-one website altogether is flyertalk.com but it is complicated. They do a good job of putting up Wiki threads on various topics. It is still fragmented across airlines and hotels. If you are good at being your own travel agent it helps immensely. Someone on this board posted the every site index here: https://milesfeed.com/ This is complicated as well.

After more than seventy years in commercial air travel the nuances still take study for me.

Sometimes the issue is not the most efficient so much as making something work at all at a reasonable payback. It is best approached as a hobby. Right now I am dealing with Virgin Atlantic being willing to answer the phone so I can use some AMEX points on the 30% transfer bonus and then book on Delta, but they don't do that transaction on line. That is what I mean. Even after they answer the phone it will then be a question of communicating between the two foreign (to each other) languages of American and British English. But the last time it went well in the end.

Drew777

Post by Drew777 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:06 pm

Thank you!

ATD
awardhacker.com for flight options. Select MR and UR under Frequent Flyer Programs.

awardmapper.com for hotel options. I would just select Hyatt because that's going to be your best transfer option (with Chase UR). I stayed at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, it's not a fancy resort but a good deal for 12k points a night. For 20-25k a night you can stay in a nicer resort.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun May 07, 2017 7:09 pm

Drew777 wrote:

Thank you!

ATD
awardhacker.com for flight options. Select MR and UR under Frequent Flyer Programs.

awardmapper.com for hotel options. I would just select Hyatt because that's going to be your best transfer option (with Chase UR). I stayed at the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach, it's not a fancy resort but a good deal for 12k points a night. For 20-25k a night you can stay in a nicer resort.
Thanks, that is a very useful site. What is not there is actual availability, which is an entirely different matter.

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Mon May 08, 2017 1:28 am

Check out milevalue.com I learned a lot there :moneybag
No Where for Very Long...

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon May 08, 2017 8:29 am

Lancelot wrote:

One good thing in that blog is to value upper class flights at what you would actually pay for them rather than a list price that you would and don't ever pay for a flight.

manwithlantern

Post by manwithlantern » Mon May 08, 2017 8:35 am

Take a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/awardtravel/ for good intro information on using cc points for travel. Awardtravel is a spinoff from https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/ which has a wealth of information on cc strategies.

Accrual

Post by Accrual » Mon May 08, 2017 8:58 am

Guys -

I need some advice on how to most efficiently accumulate airline/hotel points for a trip later this year.

I currently have Chase Sapphire Preferred and Barclays Arrival +. Both of which I have already spent the initial spend bonus points.

What is next? All the links I have found on Reddit show starting with CSP but does not go into detail on is you already have that specific card.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Mon May 08, 2017 10:11 am

Accrual wrote:Guys -

I need some advice on how to most efficiently accumulate airline/hotel points for a trip later this year.

I currently have Chase Sapphire Preferred and Barclays Arrival +. Both of which I have already spent the initial spend bonus points.

What is next? All the links I have found on Reddit show starting with CSP but does not go into detail on is you already have that specific card.
Forgetting manufactured spending (which I don't do), most efficient way to get airline/hotel points is always to get new cards for bonuses. Those typically swamp the points from normal spending. e.g. you might look into the Southwest or United cards. Or the CSR card. Or a hotel card if you have a hotel of interest (Hyatt card is kind of fun for 2 night bonus).

DiMAn0684

Post by DiMAn0684 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:15 pm

Da5id wrote:

Forgetting manufactured spending (which I don't do), most efficient way to get airline/hotel points is always to get new cards for bonuses. Those typically swamp the points from normal spending. e.g. you might look into the Southwest or United cards. Or the CSR card. Or a hotel card if you have a hotel of interest (Hyatt card is kind of fun for 2 night bonus).
Sure, but with the restrictions major bonus providers have in place it's not that easy to just keep opening new cards.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:55 pm

DiMAn0684 wrote:
Da5id wrote:

Sure, but with the restrictions major bonus providers have in place it's not that easy to just keep opening new cards.
This seems to be more true as I attempt to apply for more cards. I, and my wife, got turned down for Wells Fargo cards recently. Each time the letter stated "too many cards opened recently". Might be time to take a break :annoyed

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:02 pm

For anyone interested in Alaska cards, my recent experience:

Had one personal (10/3/16) and one business (1/17/17) card. Canceled my personal on 4/10/17. Had not read the new churning rules and did not lower my CL on the personal. However last week I did lower the business CL to $1k.

Applied last night for a new personal card and got the "pending" language. Just checked the website and found I was approved.

I am now at 17/24 (actually 17/17).

Thinking of canceling my business card soon, waiting a month, and applying again for that card.

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Tue May 09, 2017 12:16 am

dbr wrote:
Lancelot wrote:

One good thing in that blog is to value upper class flights at what you would actually pay for them rather than a list price that you would and don't ever pay for a flight.
I agree. I was able to use miles to fly Singapore Suites :)
No Where for Very Long...

FB01

Post by FB01 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:36 am

giesen5 wrote:For anyone interested in Alaska cards, my recent experience:

Had one personal (10/3/16) and one business (1/17/17) card. Canceled my personal on 4/10/17. Had not read the new churning rules and did not lower my CL on the personal. However last week I did lower the business CL to $1k.

Applied last night for a new personal card and got the "pending" language. Just checked the website and found I was approved.

Thinking of canceling my business card soon, waiting a month, and applying again for that card.

Can you tell me which Alaska card you are talking about and how many miles you got? Also, does it come under 5/24 rule?

-FB

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:57 am

FB01 wrote:
giesen5 wrote:For anyone interested in Alaska cards, my recent experience:

Can you tell me which Alaska card you are talking about and how many miles you got? Also, does it come under 5/24 rule?

-FB
Alaska is offering 30,000 miles + $100 statement credit + free companion pass right now: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/alaska-ai ... ass-offer/

Yes, it does count towards 5/24.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Mon May 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Jags4186 wrote:If anyone has the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday card there is a targeted upgrade offer to Blue Cash Preferred--$150 after $1000 spend. What's great about this offer is that there's no hard pull on your credit, and no new line of credit bring down your AAoA. What's even better is that I took advantage of this offer, got my $150 bonus, downgraded back to BCE to miss the $95 annual fee posting, and then the upgrade offer appeared again but this time not only with the $150 after $100 but also with 10% cash back on restaurants for 6 months. I upgraded again and received my second $150 bonus and will now keep and pay the $95 AF for the 10% CB on restaurants.
Did you get an email? Can I ask what the subject line says? would really like to get this offer, wondering if somehow an incognito would work?

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:If anyone has the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday card there is a targeted upgrade offer to Blue Cash Preferred--$150 after $1000 spend. What's great about this offer is that there's no hard pull on your credit, and no new line of credit bring down your AAoA. What's even better is that I took advantage of this offer, got my $150 bonus, downgraded back to BCE to miss the $95 annual fee posting, and then the upgrade offer appeared again but this time not only with the $150 after $100 but also with 10% cash back on restaurants for 6 months. I upgraded again and received my second $150 bonus and will now keep and pay the $95 AF for the 10% CB on restaurants.
Did you get an email? Can I ask what the subject line says? would really like to get this offer, wondering if somehow an incognito would work?

Thanks
No email showed up under my AMEX Offers.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue May 16, 2017 6:44 am

Barefootgirl wrote:

Thanks
The 10% restaurant (up to $200 back) ended May 4. Apparently still a $150 bonus on a $1000 spend.

https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/blue- ... edit-card/

I upgraded in April while the offer was in effect. I've gotten my 10% rebates a few days after each restaurant visit. I just got my $150 bonus over the weekend. AMEX has been on top of this one. I also check for other offers on my account page. I've used several for Legal Seafood, Total Wine, pay any US telephone service, etc. The credits have always appeared promptly.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Tue May 16, 2017 9:42 am

So the offers more often show up when you log in, than in your email?

Just trying to figure out how I should best look for them.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue May 16, 2017 10:21 am

Barefootgirl wrote:So the offers more often show up when you log in, than in your email?

I never got an email for the upgrade and don't remember ever getting an email on other offers.

Each of the offers I mentioned above I found by looking on my AMEX account page and clicking "view all" in AMEX Offers and Benefits below the current charges. The upgrade offer was listed in the first several there. Currently 104 offers on my page; none that I would use. But last month I got $15 after $100 at Total Wine. In the last year or so I got $15 on $75 at Legal Seafood; And I think it was $200 to pay any US phone bills with your card over a 3(?) month period. It worked for ATT, Verizon, etc. I switched the accounts then switched back after I used up the allowance. I also twice got $15 (maybe it was $10) back at Warby Parker on a $90 or more spend. That showed up 2x last year. All of these items are at vendors I use in any event so its truly a bonus for me.

It's a little more effort than waiting for the email, but it's been good to me.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue May 16, 2017 10:50 am

heartwood wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:So the offers more often show up when you log in, than in your email?

I never got an email for the upgrade and don't remember ever getting an email on other offers.

Each of the offers I mentioned above I found by looking on my AMEX account page and clicking "view all" in AMEX Offers and Benefits below the current charges. The upgrade offer was listed in the first several there. Currently 104 offers on my page; none that I would use. But last month I got $15 after $100 at Total Wine. In the last year or so I got $15 on $75 at Legal Seafood; And I think it was $200 to pay any US phone bills with your card over a 3(?) month period. It worked for ATT, Verizon, etc. I switched the accounts then switched back after I used up the allowance. I also twice got $15 (maybe it was $10) back at Warby Parker on a $90 or more spend. That showed up 2x last year. All of these items are at vendors I use in any event so its truly a bonus for me.

Just note that not everyone gets the same offers, even if they have the same card type. We've discovered that here on Bogleheads in the past while comparing AmEx offers.

gweezer

Post by gweezer » Tue May 16, 2017 12:32 pm

heartwood wrote:

I get an email every month with the subject "<my name>, Your new Amex Offers are inside" that lists the new offers available as well as a "Don't forget to take advantage of your offers" section for the offers I've added to the card but not executed yet. Don't recall doing anything special to get this to happen...it just did.

edit to add this is for the Preferred card which I had from the beginning...not the upgrade.

travellight

Post by travellight » Tue May 16, 2017 2:14 pm

for high churners who are well over Chase 5/24, etc.: What cards are you still able to get?

This year, I have gotten:

-Amex everyday card, no AF, 20k bonus points in January, no AF
-B of A travel rewards, February, 20k bonus pts
-my second Alaska airlines card, this one is business, March, 30k pts
-another Citi AAdvantage Platinum world elite business card, got 50k bonus miles, did not have the 24 month language, no AF, March
-wells fargo cash wise visa, 1.5x rewards, no AF, $200 with 1k spend, 4/30/17
-Amex simply cash, no AF, 3x bonus of choice, $200 after 5k spend in 6 months, 5/6/17. I like this for my restaurants @ 3x.

And, I can't believe I just got another one approved.... Barclay's arrival plus MC, 50k with 3k spend/90 days, 2x rewards for all, $89 AF waived. This is my second Barclay's; I got their Aviator 12/16 for 40k AA miles.

Please share if you know of other high hanging fruit for those of us who have picked all the low ones.
In the mean time, I was turned down for CSR, twice (tried as a Chase private client with local banker helping me the 2nd time), SPG personal and business, Chase Marriott,

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:45 pm

[quote="travellight"]
-Amex simply cash, no AF, 3x bonus of choice, $200 after 5k spend in 6 months, 5/6/17. I like this for my restaurants @ 3x./quote]

Cash back restaurant rewards are so meh to me. Leave an 18% tip instead of 20% and pay with a 2% CB Card....boom 4% CB at restaurants.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:12 pm

I'm kind of surprised at how low some of these bonuses are. I don't bother unless it is worth $500+ to me. If I am going to put in the time, take the credit hit and hit that might prevent me from getting a good bonus card, I won't do it for $100 or $200. Most recently I got an AA for 60k miles and United for 70k miles. United includes 2 free United club passes. The CSR was the best bonus I've ever gotten for the 100k points. Plus I used the travel credits, Global entry reimbursement and the free lounges several times. I'm at 5/24 now so not sure what my next card will be.

Drew777

Post by Drew777 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:57 pm

dbr wrote:
Drew777 wrote:

Thank you!

ATD

Thanks, that is a very useful site. What is not there is actual availability, which is an entirely different matter.
No website is going to show you all of your options as far as availability. If you want to do that detailed of an analysis it's going to be a slow, painful process checking multiple websites.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Wed May 17, 2017 12:35 am

travellight wrote:for high churners who are well over Chase 5/24, etc.: What cards are you still able to get?

-another Citi AAdvantage Platinum world elite business card, got 50k bonus miles, did not have the 24 month language, no AF, March
-Amex simply cash, no AF, 3x bonus of choice, $200 after 5k spend in 6 months, 5/6/17. I like this for my restaurants @ 3x.

And, I can't believe I just got another one approved.... Barclay's arrival plus MC, 50k with 3k spend/90 days, 2x rewards for all, $89 AF waived. This is my second Barclay's; I got their Aviator 12/16 for 40k AA miles.

Please share if you know of other high hanging fruit for those of us who have picked all the low ones.
In the mean time, I was turned down for CSR, twice (tried as a Chase private client with local banker helping me the 2nd time), SPG personal and business, Chase Marriott,
I've gotten 26 cards in the last 2 years. You're right, low hanging fruit is mostly gone, but the cards I'm getting are still adding value. Have you gotten the Merrill Lynch card yet? If not, that's a great one though you've got to call in to get it these days. The last 2 cards I've gotten are pretty good: the Hilton Surpass 100K offer with the free weekend night on the anniversary and the US Bank Amex Flexperks 30K bonus. I've heard that there's an Amex Business Gold Reserve with a 75K bonus without the once in a lifetime offer language available until 6/30 so that's the next one I am gonna try for even though I've had it before (2 years ago).

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 am

I just got the Hilton Surpass and my third Alaska card. Also the Capital One Venture card for the second time - to use for international travel this summer. Will churn the Barclay Arrival Plus card later this summer. May get the wife the free Hilton card, too. I think the Hilton deals end May 31st.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:41 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:
And I just got turned down too. Same reason.

tedclu

Post by tedclu » Wed May 17, 2017 3:01 pm

Been at this for a number of years.

Chase's 5/24 hurts but there are a few chase cards that does not fall under 5/24.
Or you can try the branch pre approval process.
They are: BA, Ritz, Marriot Biz. avoid paying any fee on Ritz by lower your limit to 1500.

As for Amex you can get every card at least once.
SPG/PRG/ various version of the platinum card (MB, Ameriprise, Morgan, schwab, GS) /green/gold/blue/blue cash/ everyday / everyday preferred/ Hilton/hilton surpass/
Downgrade and up grade back to surpass can earn you 100k.

Citi: you should be able to get two AA card every 65 days.( been doing that for years, before '14 you could get two a day).
Just look at the trick on flyertalk.

Barclays: arrival plus churn every 3-6 month
Wyndham is the same

Capital one: venture, sparks cash/miles

Discover only use during Apple Pay 10% ;)

travellight wrote:for high churners who are well over Chase 5/24, etc.: What cards are you still able to get?

giesen5

Post by giesen5 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:08 pm

tedclu wrote:Been at this for a number of years.

Chase's 5/24 hurts but there are a few chase cards that does not fall under 5/24.
They are: BA, Ritz, Marriot Biz. avoid paying any fee on Ritz by lower your limit to 1500.
Chase IHG too, right?

tedclu

Post by tedclu » Wed May 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Of course who can forget IhG.

My hand hurts after writing 250 index cards and enovlopes from the 2015 promo.

giesen5 wrote:

Chase IHG too, right?

travellight

Post by travellight » Wed May 17, 2017 3:24 pm

As for Amex you can get every card at least once.
SPG/PRG/ various version of the platinum card (MB, Ameriprise, Morgan, schwab, GS) /green/gold/blue/blue cash/ everyday / everyday preferred/ Hilton/hilton surpass/
Downgrade and up grade back to surpass can earn you 100k.

Citi: you should be able to get two AA card every 65 days.( been doing that for years, before '14 you could get two a day).
Just look at the trick on flyertalk.

Barclays: arrival plus churn every 3-6 month
Wyndham is the same

Capital one: venture, sparks cash/miles

Discover only use during Apple Pay 10% ;)

Wow, slick! Thanks!!!