Tax refund not received - what to do?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
ge1

Tax refund not received - what to do?

Post by ge1 »

I checked the IRS website and was told that my refund was sent to my bank account April 27. As per today, nothing has hit the account. I checked with Bank and they confirmed nothing is pending either. Also double checked the bank account information on my tax return and that is correct as well.

I tried to call the IRS, but the system forces me to select options and once I select "tax refund status" all I get is the automated message that my refund was sent April 27. It's a fairly large amount and I'm afraid this was somehow sent to a wrong account by the IRS.

Any suggestions what I should do?
dbltrbl

Re: Tax refund not received - what to do?

Post by dbltrbl »

I would walk in to a local IRS office, if you have one near you. If not call 800-829-1040, now tax season almost over some human will answer. Do not respond to prompts.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

You can get through to an IRS representative. You just have to go through it a few times to know how to get to one. Don't put in anything about you refund. If you choose options for previous tax years or something to that effect and keep hitting the "other questions" prompt, you'll get a representative. I ave been pretty successful. It does take about 5 minutes to get through the prompts and then another 15-30 minutes to get a representative. Carve out about an hour, if you can. It is worth it over going to an office, though, I would say. I have had quite a bit of success in getting to a CSR.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

What is this "tax refund" of which you speak? :happy

I didn't have any major trouble reaching the IRS when I needed to. I remember having to run the gauntlet of their phone prompts. I suspect an IRS representative will see the same information that the automated system sees. It would be worth verifying the bank information with them and discussing next steps.

But it could be worse. Illinois could owe you money. ;)
Topic Author
ge1

Post by ge1 »

I think I'm getting closer to what the issue is... Stupid me selected to have my turbo tax preparer fees deducted from my refund, which is apparently handled by the Santa Barbara Tax Products Group. I went to their website and was told that "due to unusual activity" I need to verify my identity first. Did that, so hopefully this will get the ball rolling again. Will call them later as well to make sure they have all they need.

Wouldn't you think they would contact me if they need more information???
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

So just to be clear... your refund is channeled through the TurboTax ecosystem, and your current hypothesis is that the delay might be within TurboTax, not with the IRS or in transmission to your bank?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
ge1

Post by ge1 »

Yes. On the Turbo Tax website there is a similar question and the answer is that if you chose to have your fee deducted from your refund, the funds were returned to Santa Barbara Tax Products Group and they would then deduct the fees and wire the remaining refund to my bank account.

Anybody else had similar issues?