Landlord requiring copies of SSN

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Erhnam

Landlord requiring copies of SSN

Post by Erhnam » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:24 am

Greetings,

So I am currently living in an apartment and will have someone move in with me. I thought the right thing to do is to officially add them to the lease even though I will continue to pay 100% of the rent myself. This is through a large management company that owns complexes across the US.

What is startling to me, is that this company is asking for two things of the person moving in with me:

1) Photocopy of the SSN card
2) W-2, W-4, or bank statement that includes the SSN number on it.

This is for the third party screening company that is being used.

Am I being overly paranoid about this request? Asking a future tenant to provide a bank statement with their SSN number on it to a leasing agent, who will then pass it off to some unknown third party seems like an identity theft disaster waiting to happen.

Google searches tell me that this is starting to become a common practice (landlords making copies of SSN cards), and there is basically nothing the applicant or renter can do. The landlord can legally ask, the applicant/renter can deny to give a copy, and then their application will be declined.

Should I relax some and tell the person moving in with me that we should just provide what they are asking for? Or would you guys also be fighting this information request?

rterickson

Re: Landlord requiring copies of SSN

Post by rterickson » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:49 pm

I would never consider renting to a prospective tenant (or adding one to a lease) without running a credit check. As far as I know, the SSN is required to do that.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:02 pm

I would never consider renting from a landlord that required my SSN. I agree that that seems like an identity theft problem waiting to happen.

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:03 pm

They are just performing a background check and verifying income. Standard practice for rental applications if the Landlords know what they're doing.

I don't see a problem here. You give that information anytime you apply for a loan, your payroll department at your work has it for direct deposit, your accountant, etc. There is a risk your information could get mishandled by any of the above, what makes the landlord different?

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:04 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:I would never consider renting from a landlord that required my SSN. I agree that that seems like an identity theft problem waiting to happen.
So how exactly should a landlord perform a credit check without your SSN? Just take your word that you can afford to pay?

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:13 pm

SouthernCPA wrote:
LiterallyIronic wrote:I would never consider renting from a landlord that required my SSN. I agree that that seems like an identity theft problem waiting to happen.
So how exactly should a landlord perform a credit check without your SSN? Just take your word that you can afford to pay?
I would also object to the credit check, if it's a hard pull. The landlord can look at my paystub to verify my income, or I can pay the entire year's rent up front. Why would I sign a rental contract (or any contract) that I couldn't afford to pay?

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:21 pm

Delete redundancy.
Last edited by Fallible on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:23 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote: Why would I sign a rental contract (or any contract) that I couldn't afford to pay?
Any number of deadbeats do that.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:24 pm

From nolo.com on landlord rights:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... er1-2.html

"Landlords may also legally ask you for your Social Security and driver’s license numbers and (except in New York and California) for proof of your legal residency in the United States."
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:18 pm

Asking for the number on a credit application is one thing, asking for photo copies of the card and a bank statement is another.
Politely decline, tell them you are willing to provide the number but not copies.

Does your current lease address guests staying in the property?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:31 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
SouthernCPA wrote:
I would also object to the credit check, if it's a hard pull. The landlord can look at my paystub to verify my income, or I can pay the entire year's rent up front. Why would I sign a rental contract (or any contract) that I couldn't afford to pay?
It's obvious you are out of touch with most tenants and have never been a landlord. If no one ever signed up for stuff they couldn't afford then there would be no reason for credit checks...

MrKnight

Post by MrKnight » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:33 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
SouthernCPA wrote:
People do it all the time.

Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:42 pm

A tenant renting an apartment in someone else's name is one form of identity theft. If the landlord doesn't verify the identity of a tenant, a tenant could use your SSN to rent an apartment in your name, and leave you with a potential liability.

Topic Author
Erhnam

Post by Erhnam » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:59 pm

rterickson wrote:I would never consider renting to a prospective tenant (or adding one to a lease) without running a credit check. As far as I know, the SSN is required to do that.

The SSN was given on the rental application. And they have a copy of the driver's license. They have everything needed for a credit check.

What they are asking for now is to have an actual photocopy of the SSN card and a bank statement with the SSN on it.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Erhnam wrote:.........And they have a copy of the driver's license. They have everything needed for a credit check.
There is a big market out there for counterfeit drivers licenses - IF they are very very authentic looking. In our neck of the woods, they command top dollar for the best work (college town here)

You must not know any college sophomores or juniors (19 and 20 year-olds) :P :P :P

Relax, and give the rental agency what they want. After all, it is a professional leasing agency company, not some Mom & Pop enterprise who would not know how to safeguard personal information.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:23 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:Why would I sign a rental contract (or any contract) that I couldn't afford to pay?
IDK if you're a landlord but... a LOT of people are willing to do this.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:33 pm

If you're concerned just freeze your credit after giving them the SSN (they won't be able to check it if your credit's frozen) or freeze your credit and temporarily thaw it to allow them to check it.

If your credit is frozen no one can apply for credit without knowing your secret password to thaw the credit freeze.

read more here:
http://www.clarkhoward.com/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide

Incidentally, I've never had a problem with it (giving SSN to landlord to do a credit check). But I have my credit frozen now.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:54 pm

Relax, and give the rental agency what they want. After all, it is a professional leasing agency company, not some Mom & Pop enterprise who would not know how to safeguard personal information.
You mean like storing it in an "insecure" locked filing cabinet instead of storing it on a "secure" internet-facing database server?

trueblueky

Post by trueblueky » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Erhnam wrote:
rterickson wrote:I would never consider renting to a prospective tenant (or adding one to a lease) without running a credit check. As far as I know, the SSN is required to do that.

The SSN was given on the rental application. And they have a copy of the driver's license. They have everything needed for a credit check.

What they are asking for now is to have an actual photocopy of the SSN card and a bank statement with the SSN on it.
I wouldn't.

There's a physicians' group in town that requires SS card in addition to drivers license and insurance card. Too many SSNs have been stolen in this state from medical offices and nursing homes for me to comply. I asked for the manager who couldn't explain what the SSN provides that the other documents don't.

My drivers license required birth certificate, government-issued photo ID, social security card, and two utility bills (to prove address).

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:22 am

jalbert wrote:
A tenant renting an apartment in someone else's name is one form of identity theft. If the landlord doesn't verify the identity of a tenant, a tenant could use your SSN to rent an apartment in your name, and leave you with a potential liability.
That's circular. You're saying that a landlord should ask for everyone's SSN in order to verify that everyone is using their own SSN and not someone else's? You'd get the same benefit by asking nobody for their SSN - that is to say, some random person couldn't rent an apartment in my name if that very apartment rental isn't tied to my SSN.
SouthernCPA wrote:If no one ever signed up for stuff they couldn't afford then there would be no reason for credit checks...
Exactly. And since I don't sign up for stuff I can't afford, I don't need a credit check. The landlord can either trust me and get paid on time every month in cash or I'll pay someone else on time every month in cash. It's no big deal.

Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:04 am

That's circular. You're saying that a landlord should ask for everyone's SSN in order to verify that everyone is using their own SSN and not someone else's? You'd get the same benefit by asking nobody for their SSN - that is to say, some random person couldn't rent an apartment in my name if that very apartment rental isn't tied to my SSN.
Not really. They can rent it in your name and use such things as your past addresses on the application. They also might include your SSN or driver's license number on the rental application unsolicited. Without an SSN, your credit history might be safe, but if their intent was to use the apartment for criminal activity, you might find the police looking to talk to you.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:51 am

LiterallyIronic wrote: Exactly. And since I don't sign up for stuff I can't afford, I don't need a credit check. The landlord can either trust me and get paid on time every month in cash or I'll pay someone else on time every month in cash. It's no big deal.
I've been a landlady. I will never do so again. The amount of stress and money a bad tenant can cause is very large. The landlord can be stuck with that person in the apartment/house for months on end, due to tenant protection laws, with the landlord incurring mounting legal bills, damage being done to the apartment and so forth (visualize holes broken into drywall. appliances removed). The landlord may not even be able to gain access to the apartment to check on it.

Why would you expect someone to trust an unknown person like yourself with such a high risk? If in some alternate universe I decided to rent out property and a prospective tenant was not willing to undergo a credit check and provide references, I would not even consider renting to them.

Good luck finding someone willing to rent month to month for cash. You will probably be sharing your apartment with various forms of vermin.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:54 am

mouses wrote:......If in some alternate universe I decided to rent out property and a prospective tenant was not willing to undergo a credit check and provide references, I would not even consider renting to them.
^ This

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:57 am

LiterallyIronic wrote: Exactly. And since I don't sign up for stuff I can't afford, I don't need a credit check. The landlord can either trust me and get paid on time every month in cash or I'll pay someone else on time every month in cash. It's no big deal.
It's no big deal to provide information for a credit check if you've got nothing to hide. I don't sign up for stuff I can't afford, but I'm also not going to make my life and others (bankers, landlords, etc) lives difficult just out of principle. I've managed rental properties for family...you don't get to play by a different set of rules just because you say I should trust you. I'd send you on to the next landlord.

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:01 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Are you just one of those people that likes being difficult for the sake of being difficult? I want your identity verified so when you leave with $10k worth of damages I can ding you for it and bring charges against you. Will I ever collect it? Not likely, but at least I'm going to make your life miserable.

orca91

Post by orca91 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:33 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:Exactly. And since I don't sign up for stuff I can't afford, I don't need a credit check. The landlord can either trust me and get paid on time every month in cash or I'll pay someone else on time every month in cash. It's no big deal.
You're seemingly not a landlord, or you're very trusting. Look at it this way... if you were a landlord, would you just trust everyone that applied to rent from you? Not everyone is as stand up a person as you're claiming to be. As a landlord, you can either rent to everyone that applies because you should just trust them, or you can protect your backside and property by looking into their credit and rental/housing history.

I was a landlord (sold it last year) and would never rent to anyone without knowing their credit and rental history. My last tenant before selling had not so great credit with a few little things in collections. But, her (single lady) rental history was stellar with years of paying on time without a single issue. I rented to her because I trusted her because I KNEW her history. Never an issue with her in over two years as a tenant either. When she applied, I turned down a couple that applied right before her with a good combined income, but a poor rental and credit history. Which one would you have "trusted" without knowing their history?

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:00 pm

mouses wrote:If in some alternate universe I decided to rent out property and a prospective tenant was not willing to undergo a credit check and provide references, I would not even consider renting to them.

Good luck finding someone willing to rent month to month for cash.
I currently rent month-to-month and I pay cash at the absolute cheapest place I could find in this town (it costs 6.6% of our gross monthly income). Rock bottom price is where it's at. If you wouldn't rent to someone without a credit check, more power to you.
SouthernCPA wrote:It's no big deal to provide information for a credit check if you've got nothing to hide.

you don't get to play by a different set of rules

Are you just one of those people that likes being difficult for the sake of being difficult?
My median credit score is 810. I've never missed a payment on anything and I have no debt (credit card, student loan, auto, or otherwise). I have nothing to hide. But I'm also not willing to allow someone to put a temporary ding on my credit score by doing a hard pull. Same reason my credit card's limit is $1,100, even though I make $50k. The limit is still what it was when I was in college and I won't let them do a hard pull that is required to raise the limit. The only people that get to check my credit are people I'm working with for a mortgage.

Actually, I do get to rent by my rules, as long as I can find a landlord who agrees to those rules. Just like how you can landlord by your rules if you can find a tenant that agrees to those rules. That's how it works.

I'm not being difficult for the sake of being difficult, I'm keeping my credit score as high as possible for the mortgage application.
orca91 wrote:You're seemingly not a landlord, or you're very trusting
Indeed I am not a landlady, but I am very trusting. I give my landlord my monthly rent with cash and don't get a receipt. I leave no paper trail for him. I trust him not to claim that I didn't pay rent and he trusts me to pay rent and not break everything. It's a two way street.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:42 pm

+1. I used to own a 3 family it was my standard practice to run a credit check (requires SSN), require copies of pay stubs, and ask for a listing of all debts with monthly payments. Sometimes I had to explain to them why they couldn't afford to live in the apartment. If the balked at providing info, I moved on to the next applicant.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:53 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
SouthernCPA wrote:
What if you make 100K a year, but have a $900 a month car payment and 50K in credit card debt? How is the landlord supposed to see that by looking at your paystub? And what if you're late each month or not paying certain bills that you promised to pay? Paystubs are just 1 small piece of the equation when determining if a tenant is qualified. Unfortunately most evictions start out by the tenant saying "I promise to pay you the first of each month. I'm good for it!"

Running a credit check is standard operating procedure for landlords and applicant tenants.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:56 pm

duplicate

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:07 pm

TRC wrote:
What if you make 100K a year, but have a $900 a month car payment and 50K in credit card debt?
In that situation, then I'd be paying a good percentage of my paycheck to rent, car payments, and credit card debt. What's it to the landlord if I contractually promise 99% of my net income to various entities or 5%? It's my money and if I want to spend it all and invest none of it, I will.
TRC wrote: And what if you're late each month or not paying certain bills that you promised to pay?
Like I said, if the landlord is for some reason concerned that I'd sign a contract and then not honor it, I can pay the entire year's rent up-front and in cash. I doubt you'd get the same offer from your credit check people.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:11 pm

As a former Apartments owner we always require a credit check, which requires SSN and job info.
I can't afford to have deadbeats moving in, damage the unit and not pay rent. I never have anyone who wants to rent from us and not get us their info. If they did we would just rent it to the next person who would get us the info.
I understand their concern for the SSN and privacy, but I'm here to protect my investments and income.

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:06 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:My median credit score is 810. I've never missed a payment on anything and I have no debt (credit card, student loan, auto, or otherwise). I have nothing to hide. But I'm also not willing to allow someone to put a temporary ding on my credit score by doing a hard pull. Same reason my credit card's limit is $1,100, even though I make $50k. The limit is still what it was when I was in college and I won't let them do a hard pull that is required to raise the limit. The only people that get to check my credit are people I'm working with for a mortgage.

Actually, I do get to rent by my rules, as long as I can find a landlord who agrees to those rules. Just like how you can landlord by your rules if you can find a tenant that agrees to those rules. That's how it works.

I'm not being difficult for the sake of being difficult, I'm keeping my credit score as high as possible for the mortgage application.
Congrats on your credit score. 740+ is good enough to get the best rate. Not so sure why you are concerned about a hard pull since you are 70 points over that number. I was a landlord. Sold last year. I wouldn't have rented to you without pulling your credit. If you paid a year in advance I might have considered it (my state is very landlord friendly and you would have been gone quickly if you didn't pay the 13th month). Would you ask a credit card company to provide you with a card without giving them your social security number? If not then I'm not so sure I see the difference. When you rent you are asking for credit. If you aren't willing to show that you are worthy of credit then you can't blame someone for not wanting to grant you credit. "Dictum meum pactum" plays on the Street but not when renting an apartment or asking for a credit card.
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:15 pm

Dimitri wrote:Would you ask a credit card company to provide you with a card without giving them your social security number? If not then I'm not so sure I see the difference. When you rent you are asking for credit.
Only my bank and my employer get my SSN. Hence, my only credit card is the one my bank does - I'm not going to call up MasterCard or somebody and give them my SSN. My employer also doesn't get my banking information - paper check only.

I'm not asking for credit when renting. I'm paying for a service before it is rendered, just like I pay for a movie before I watch it. The movie theater doesn't need a credit check because I pay for the ticket before the service is rendered. I also pay for a month's rent before I live in the apartment for that month. Same concept.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:20 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Dimitri wrote:Would you ask a credit card company to provide you with a card without giving them your social security number? If not then I'm not so sure I see the difference. When you rent you are asking for credit.
Only my bank and my employer get my SSN. Hence, my only credit card is the one my bank does - I'm not going to call up MasterCard or somebody and give them my SSN. My employer also doesn't get my banking information - paper check only.

I'm not asking for credit when renting. I'm paying for a service before it is rendered, just like I pay for a movie before I watch it. The movie theater doesn't need a credit check because I pay for the ticket before the service is rendered. I also pay for a month's rent before I live in the apartment for that month. Same concept.

I know I'm new to this forum, but aren't people here at all concerned about protecting their identity?

Geologist

Post by Geologist » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:26 pm

Speaking perhaps for the others: we are concerned with protecting our identities, but we also want to execute financial transactions. For some of these, we have to prove our bona fides in advance, typically commensurate with the value of the transaction.

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:42 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:

Not the same concept at all. Gas station - pay before you pump. But you can't get more gas out of the pump than you paid for. Pretty much the same with your movie ticket example (unless you sneak into another theater and watch an additional screening). Unfortunately (from a landlord's perspective) there are some states that grant rights to a tenant that allow them to stay beyond the period they paid for (also ref. filing bankruptcy). Just because you can pay the first month in advance doesn't mean you are able to pay the second month in advance.

Many (and I would almost like to say most) larger employers do direct deposit only (or prepaid card). Not negotiable. You may be limiting yourself if you aren't willing to do direct deposit.

orca91

Post by orca91 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:44 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
orca91 wrote:You're seemingly not a landlord, or you're very trusting
Indeed I am not a landlady, but I am very trusting. I give my landlord my monthly rent with cash and don't get a receipt. I leave no paper trail for him. I trust him not to claim that I didn't pay rent and he trusts me to pay rent and not break everything. It's a two way street.
And, probably an illegal street. You found the cheapest place in town, pay cash, and no receipts... That sounds on the up and up. You really aren't making a good case. You realize that, right?

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:47 pm

I have yet to see a medical facility that doesn't ask for SSN.

orca91

Post by orca91 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:48 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:I'm not being difficult for the sake of being difficult, I'm keeping my credit score as high as possible for the mortgage application.
Do you plan to tell them they can't have your social security number when you apply for the mortgage?

JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:53 pm

The system I as a ll used collected directly from the renter. I set it up then they e-mailed for all the info they needed. No "proof" if ssn is no w2 etc but it worked well. See if that is an option

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:56 pm

When I was a landlord I would never even consider an applicant who refused to provide their SSN (to run a credit check) unless they agreed to pay the entire term of the lease up front.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:05 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote: I would also object to the credit check, if it's a hard pull. The landlord can look at my paystub to verify my income, or I can pay the entire year's rent up front. Why would I sign a rental contract (or any contract) that I couldn't afford to pay?
:shock: :oops: :P Thanks for the laugh. No offense but you clearly have no knowledge of the world of rental housing that isn't for people with upper middle class incomes or higher. On some extreme lower end rentals you are lucky if you get paid at all, let alone on time. Income means nothing without an understanding of a person's ongoing financial obligations.

Hello Mr. Applicant. You have a $50,000 annual income and want to rent my $1,000/month house? I see that on your paystub. Great! Oh wait let me check this credit report I ran on you. You owe your ex-wife $25,000 per year in alimony, you have a $500/month truck payment, $25,000 in credit card debt, you owe $10,000 on your boat (guess you're gonna want to park that in the yard), and your prior landlord (who said you were a great guy when I called him!) has a $5,000 judgment against you for unpaid rent. On second thought...

Yes, if you paid me up front for the whole term, I might let you take the apartment once the check clears without a credit check or getting your SSN. Hardly anyone does this in reality though.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:10 pm

RudyS wrote:I have yet to see a medical facility that doesn't ask for SSN.
No, mine did in fact ask for that. I declined to give it to them. I paid in cash.
orca91 wrote:
LiterallyIronic wrote:I'm not being difficult for the sake of being difficult, I'm keeping my credit score as high as possible for the mortgage application.
Do you plan to tell them they can't have your social security number when you apply for the mortgage?
It's my bank. They're one of the two places I allow to have it. My bank and my employer. So when I go to my bank to get my mortgage, they'll already have my SSN. This is a non-issue.
Cherokee8215 wrote:You have a $50,000 annual income and want to rent my $1,000/month house? Yes, if you paid me up front for the whole term, I might let you take the apartment once the check clears without a credit check or getting your SSN. Hardly anyone does this in reality though.
Ouch, that's very high rent. You wouldn't have to wait for the check to clear, because it'd be cash.
Last edited by LiterallyIronic on Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinscale

Post by tinscale » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:11 pm

The SS card is the physical proof that links a name and SS number. Some entities want to see the physical card and they will make the photocopy. You don't ever want to lose that card, and you should not carry it around on you.

goingup

Post by goingup » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:18 pm

RudyS wrote:I have yet to see a medical facility that doesn't ask for SSN.
I leave it blank every time. No one has uttered a word about it.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:23 pm

Looking at this a different way...if the OP is going to continue paying 100% of the rent and remain on the lease, why even tell the apartment owner about the other person unless your lease clearly states "one person only"? People move in their significant others, relatives, etc. all the time without telling anyone. As long as you aren't creating some kind of "stacking" situation (10 people in a 2BR apartment) then who cares? If this is a major complex and not some mom and pop duplex, nobody is going around stalking the apartments to guesstimate how many people are living there unless a resident complains.

Sure, as the landlord I'd like to know, but from the tenant's perspective, who cares unless moving the second person in creates a default of the lease terms? If you are paying the rent 100%, then what's the point of adding them to the lease? Don't add them to the lease and you don't have this problem.

If you are dealing with a big company that owns many complexes, the person at the local complex leasing office is probably just following the company "script" and has little power to make deviations.

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Now I'm curious. Do some bank's statements routinely come with SSN printed on them? Mine doesn't. Or at least I don't think it does. I don't get paper statements, haven't for years; everything's online. And a social security card. I know my number and wouldn't have any problem giving it for a lease application, but I haven't looked for or seen my physical card for perhaps 25 years. I might be able to find the card in a box of old documents, but I wouldn't swear to be able to do that.
Regards, | | Guy

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:23 pm

Cherokee8215 wrote:Looking at this a different way...if the OP is going to continue paying 100% of the rent and remain on the lease, why even tell the apartment owner about the other person unless your lease clearly states "one person only"? People move in their significant others, relatives, etc. all the time without telling anyone. As long as you aren't creating some kind of "stacking" situation (10 people in a 2BR apartment) then who cares? If this is a major complex and not some mom and pop duplex, nobody is going around stalking the apartments to guesstimate how many people are living there unless a resident complains.

Sure, as the landlord I'd like to know, but from the tenant's perspective, who cares unless moving the second person in creates a default of the lease terms? If you are paying the rent 100%, then what's the point of adding them to the lease? Don't add them to the lease and you don't have this problem.

If you are dealing with a big company that owns many complexes, the person at the local complex leasing office is probably just following the company "script" and has little power to make deviations.
Well, if you don't add them to the lease you may just be in violation of the lease. I know that when I was a landlord I specified exactly how many adults and how many children were allowed. Bring in more and you have just broken the lease. This link might enlighten you about how some landlords deal with rouge tenants (ie. those not on the lease) -- https://www.landlordology.com/rogue-ten ... rm-guests/

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Dimitri wrote:
Cherokee8215 wrote:Looking at this a different way...if the OP is going to continue paying 100% of the rent and remain on the lease, why even tell the apartment owner about the other person unless your lease clearly states "one person only"? People move in their significant others, relatives, etc. all the time without telling anyone. As long as you aren't creating some kind of "stacking" situation (10 people in a 2BR apartment) then who cares? If this is a major complex and not some mom and pop duplex, nobody is going around stalking the apartments to guesstimate how many people are living there unless a resident complains.

Well, if you don't add them to the lease you may just be in violation of the lease. I know that when I was a landlord I specified exactly how many adults and how many children were allowed. Bring in more and you have just broken the lease. This link might enlighten you about how some landlords deal with rouge tenants (ie. those not on the lease) -- https://www.landlordology.com/rogue-ten ... rm-guests/
If the landlord tries to prevent children from living with their parents with some lease language, the landlord would be looking at some tough sanctions by most courts nationwide. You can't tell a parent she can't have her newborn baby in the apartment because he/she isn't on the lease or parents can't adopt a childe, etc.