Clothing budget for DVM's, MD's, and other kinds of Medical Professionals

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
texascat1

Clothing budget for DVM's, MD's, and other kinds of Medical Professionals

Post by texascat1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:04 pm

I will be graduating as a veterinarian in a little over a year. This next year is my clinical rotation where I will need to dress in business cloths (nice shoes, slacks, and good tops seems to be the general idea) with a white coat to impress clients at the teaching hospital daily. I am going into small animal medicine where some doctors dress nice but in a way that they are still fine getting covered in parvo diarrhea and vomit.

1. What kind of medical professional are you

2. How do you dress in a way that impresses clients.

3. How much you budget per year for work cloths? Could you specify if you are male or female (I'm female) so I can get a good idea of what I should expect in the future?

cowboy

Re: Clothing budget for DVM's, MD's, and other kinds of Medical Professionals

Post by cowboy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:47 pm

Male MD here. I work in both military and civilian hospitals/clinics, so sometimes my clothes are chosen for me: uniforms and scrubs. When working at civilian facilities where scrubs are a no-go, I'll wear a simple button-down shirt and slacks, sleeves rolled up, no tie. I generally avoid the white coat if at all possible. I've found that "dressing to impress" often creates an additional barrier when talking to patients, but this has to be balanced with a "professional appearance". I imagine this varies widely depending on the population served. I view myself as just a regular guy who happens to be a physician, and that's largely how I want my patients to view me too. I think patients are much more forthcoming if they don't feel that they need to be living up to a physician's high expectations. At home and on weekends, I wear jeans and superhero t-shirts. So do two of my physician neighbors.

My biased opinion of my pets' vets through the years: I prefer seeing a "regular" guy/gal rather than one who's pushing pet insurance or the like to seemingly finance their lifestyle that includes designer clothing, luxury sedans, and exotic vacations (with pictures posted in the waiting room).

I spend maybe $50 for a shirt and slacks (Ross, TJ Maxx, Target, Costco, etc), and I usually buy about two new shirts and slacks every year. Mix and match the outfits I've bought over the past several years, and voila!

dependapotamus

Post by dependapotamus » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:17 pm

My wife, an OB resident, buys a lot of basics from Target, and the occasional good deal from the Banana Republic outlet store. Of course, she only has to wear real person clothes on clinic days. The vast majority of the time she's in scrubs. No one cares what kind of shoes you have when shoe covers are a job necessity, and jewelry is just one more thing to keep track of when it's time to scrub in.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:33 pm

Male veterinarian. Not in private practice and didn't bothered adding it up when I was.

Dark tan/khaki pants are the best color for pants. Black pants pick up white fur and white pants pickup the black fur. Lint rollers are your friend. You'll go through 1 roll every ~2 days. Best way to stay clean looking.

Shirts with patterns help cover the stains. Always have a backup pair of pants and shift on hand.

Scrubs were purchased from Target. Larger clinics will often provide their own with color/emblem for branding.

No neck ties, long necklaces, and pull long hair back -- risk to being seriously hurt.

Congrats and have fun!!

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Congrats on your upcoming graduation! Male DVM, in private practice for the last 30 years. I dress smart casual, no tie, and one of the few that wears a white coat. Scrubs, of course, for surgery. I never tallied up wardrobe costs since I wear the same clothes outside of work, as well, except for the scrubs, of course! The best deal I found for my white coats was a Lands End clearance sale a while back, of all places! If you do go with the white coat, I would suggest having your name sewn above the breast pocket. Good luck with your career!
Last edited by veggivet on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lafder

Post by Lafder » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:55 pm

My vet wears jeans or khakis and sits on the floor with my big dogs :)

The other vet in his office dresses in similar casual, clean, comfortable clothes, but does not sit on the floor like he does.

Both touch and interact with my pets.

I notice their eye contact with me and manner with my pets more than their clothes :)

Lafder

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:56 pm

Shoes, IMO, make the outfit.

I wear expensive Italian shoes that fit me very well every day. They dress up a suit as well as an open shirt, even jeans. They cost $5-600, BUT, they last me at least 8 years. Yes, they require a resole every once in a while, but when I bring them back from the cobbler they look brand new. In terms of value, I used to shop cheaper shoes, in the 80-120 range. They would rarely fit well (hurt my feet) and would look poorly after 1 year. I went to a medical meeting last summer and found it convenient to walk 3 miles in the morning to the conference venue (nice mornings and crowded buses). No problems with my feet. I regard my shoes both as a great value (very comfortable and long lasting) as well as a significant enhancement of my clothing. I get comments from both men and women all the time. Be sure to wear a belt that matches the tone of the shoe.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:25 pm

texascat1 wrote: 1. What kind of medical professional are you
3. How much you budget per year for work cloths? Could you specify if you are male or female (I'm female) so I can get a good idea of what I should expect in the future?
Anesthesia, spent my working life 100% in scrubs (could care less about impressing anybody), $0 (male).

If I were you, I'd probably live in scrubs at work, too.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:59 pm

texascat1 wrote:I will be graduating as a veterinarian in a little over a year. This next year is my clinical rotation where I will need to dress in business cloths (nice shoes, slacks, and good tops seems to be the general idea) with a white coat to impress clients at the teaching hospital daily. I am going into small animal medicine where some doctors dress nice but in a way that they are still fine getting covered in parvo diarrhea and vomit.

Emergency doc
Pajamas, I mean scrubs
<$50
Male
I haven't bought a white coat....ever. My med school gave me one and the military gave me another one.

When I need to impress someone, I put on a suit. When I go to work, I wear scrubs. Mostly because I get c.dif diarrhea and vomit on me. And blood. And urine. And several other fluids you don't want to know about.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

DarkNyte

Post by DarkNyte » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:09 am

1. Anesthesia

2. Scrubs that the hospital provides and launders, no need to pay for my own laundry

3. Zero, Male. When I was a medical student, and a few times as a resident I had to dress up in a shirt and tie, but nothing from expensive stores, the white coats were always provided. Why pay a couple hundred dollars for a nice shirt or tie if you are likely to need to throw them out because you got blood/urine/vomit/feces on it during rounds. If you get a choice go with scrubs, which I think is acceptable if you are a medical professional.

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:51 am

MD here. I wear the white coat provided by my group. It's a uniform with my name on it (so patients know who I am). It's got a large pocket where I stick my stethoscope in. But more importantly, it protects my underlying clothes from all the body fluids that sometimes fly off in the course of examining patients. I wear glasses for the same reason (i.e. provides protective barrier). My underlying clothes are comfortable cheap slacks and polo shirts. I used to wear ties but stopped doing it because they're just another item that germs can accumulate on during the work day, without adding any practical value.

texascat1

Post by texascat1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:09 am

I'm quite excited by all the responses. So far it seems to be $50, target, then scrubs scrubs scrubs. Most do not wear a white coat. I will have to wear a white coat and dress cloths on about half my small animal rotations and a white coat with scrubs on the other half. My large animal rotations will be a scrub top and jeans and boots or coveralls when we go to prison (trying to make all the girls look less feminine).

I understand the comment about nice shoes. Right now my shoe budget for the year is about $500 and I have gone through half of it. I have had foot surgery on one foot and have an orthotic for the other so shoes are a big expense for me. I prefer cole haan loafers with nike air soles as they feel like tennis shoes and look professional. I bought some new ones on clearance off ebay for about $50 a pair (originally 200) and I got new running shoes that fit my newest orthotic so I am happy with where I spent the money.

I am planning a shopping trip this weekend to the outlet mall with a classmate to get some cloths for fourth year. I have a gift card so it should be mostly free. I am currently slowly mapping my closet to see what I have a lot of and what I am lacking so I can use the gift card to get what I need. The mapping process I learned from a blogger has you tally how many of each item you have and divide it by the days in the year you wear that item. 5 week days x 50 week on clinics = 200 days to wear dress shirts so with 12 in my closet I must wear each one 16 days a year. This makes me feel like I may have too many shirts but most were bought at the charity thrift store I volunteer at or the outlet mall so its less than a dollar a wear. So far I am lacking in black and khaki pants.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:30 am

I am now a retired er doc an during my tenure there was a steady decrease in the way the ER docs dressed. When I first started, the dress was.white coat, shirt and tie with nice slacks and dress shoes. I recall that I was the last one in my group to give up the shirt and tie and switch to a scrub top with pants. When I retired the group was generally full scrubs, no white coat. Somewhere in there the shoes were switched to sneakers.

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:47 am

I'll add a counterpoint on behalf of DW, a female OBG in private practice. (Don't know how applicable to a DVM though)

She very rarely wears scrubs in the office--only if more than one patient likely to deliver during office hours or something similar. She views it as a type of marketing. Dress, skirt/blouse; nice slacks/cords in the winter. Sensible shoes since on her feet all day. (Don't think she's ever spent over 125 on a pair--and that is rare.) Her spending on an annual basis has been less than $1500, and decreasing over the years, as she wears them until they wear out.

(For OR/Delivery rooms, changes into scrubs and old running shoes at the hospitals)

For her, first choice has been Ann Taylor & Ann Taylor Loft (both during good sales, or on Ebay used), Dillards (during the big sales), Target, and even the occasional foray to DressBarn in the past. Her partners, however, are far more likely to wear scrubs....
Edit Signature

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:54 am

All the Vets that I've taken my critters to over the years all wore boot and jeans. I do live in a semi-rural area of Texas though...

More specifically, Wranglers and Ropers :happy

GMan82

Post by GMan82 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:55 pm

I'm an Anesthesiologist / Intensivist, fresh out of training (July 2015). I'm mostly always in scrubs that are hospital-issued and therefore laundered, in either the OR or the ICU. This way, my own clothes are protected and never enter the hospital. I have an old pair of sneakers and sometimes crocs that I'll wear around the hospital. These clothes don't make it more than 2 feet past my front door.

As far as a budget, for a male, I don't really have one. I'm not much of a shopper but I set limits on items. I'm looking for a pair of sneakers and I won't buy them if they're over $75. I just bought my first suit since medical school at Macy's on sale and with discounts for $180. It's an Alfani navy blue suit that was originally priced at $450. Jeans are no more than $50 and I try to be price conscious with other clothing items too. I'm not too good for Walmart for undershirts, etc.

Salmon Maki

Post by Salmon Maki » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:00 pm

Female pharmacist. Back when I used to work in actual pharmacies, I would wear khakis and a cheap shirt and cover it up with an employer-provided white coat :happy Never added up clothing costs, but they were low.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:27 pm

MD. High risk obstetrics/MFM (retired)

I wore scrubs. Then they know that I am a surgeon and may have to run off to save someone's life at any moment. Very impressive...

When I was in my hospital based clinic I wore... scrubs.

When I was in our private clinic I wore... wait for it... scrubs. I wasn't going to have to run out of there to do surgery but old habits die hard and what can I say, the greens were free and comfortable. A couple of my colleagues commented that they wished they had the nerve to wear scrubs in the office. Nerve?

Budget for work clothes - $0
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

ram

Post by ram » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Male MD.
I wear a tie Mon - Fri but not on the weekend hospital rounds. A suit only if I am giving a lecture, board meeting etc, not while seeing patients.
Annual budget - do not monitor but perhaps 1000/yr. Five suits in last 10 yrs all in good condition.

Wife is a physician too. She is sometimes in scrubs but mostly formal clothes. She thinks her budget is about $2000/yr.
Ram

RDB

Post by RDB » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:41 pm

Male, dentist. Black scrubs, no white coat. I probably spend $50 per year on average, some years I spend nothing.

frugalfraggle

Post by frugalfraggle » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:41 pm

desiderium wrote: I wear expensive Italian shoes that fit me very well every day. They dress up a suit as well as an open shirt, even jeans. They cost $5-600, BUT, they last me at least 8 years.
Would love to see a pic please.

WL2034

Post by WL2034 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:52 pm

For me it depends on the culture at the hospital. Sometimes scrubs, sometimes slacks / dress shirt, sometimes a polo shirt. I would just see what your co-workers are wearing. In general, the clothing budget is inconsequential. Maybe a few hundred a year. Unless you are in a specialty that requires a certain image (plastic surgery, dermatology, etc.), the amount required to spend on clothing should not really be much of a factor at all. Definitely less than 1% of income.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:05 pm

I have a friend who has a very rich and famous clientele in West Los Angeles. Lots of movie stars and other celebs and their children. He told me he felt compelled to buy several pairs of very expensive shoes, because otherwise his clients treated him and his practice with disdain; and the shoes were one of the first things they noticed.

I have a different practice. One of my patients noticed about 4 years ago when I bought a new pair of shoes. She had previously told me I needed to shine the shoes I had; truth be told they were pretty worn out. She walked in the office, looked at my new shoes, looked up at me, and we both burst out laughing.

My patients know my shoes and clothes hardly matter at all to me. I don't have that kind of practice and don't work in that kind of community. I don't wear jeans and sneakers but I don't wear suits and rarely wear ties. If I worked in a large city, on the East Coast, or in an academic setting, I would have to pay more attention to this kind of thing.

ace1400

Post by ace1400 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:08 pm

1. MD - Mostly office based

2. Scrubs and white coat, with polished dress shoes. Medelita makes more tailored scrubs (i.e. not sized to fit the most obese person in the hospital) with nice fabrics, nice pockets and they hold up very well. I have them embroidered with my name and the organization logo. I find it looks very professional with a professionally dry cleaned and pressed white coat (and keep the pockets mostly empty so they are not stuffed and sagging). Good dress shoes that can be resoled are a very worthwhile investment in that I have 15 year old pairs that look brand new and feel better than new, though they have to be resoled every 3-5 years depending on wear. Johnston and Murphy along with Allan Edmonds can be had at a discount at Nordstrom's Rack.

I find, to my eye, inexpensive suits (less than $1500) look cheap, and I can't stomach a $1500 suit, so I wear scrubs.

3. No idea how much I spend, but business logo apparel is tax deductible!

Allixi

Post by Allixi » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:27 pm

texascat1 wrote:1. What kind of medical professional are you

1. MD
2. I wear button-down shirts and khakis to work (no tie because I think they're unhygienic). I also wear Clarks loafers that are reasonably comfortable standing and walking - I've never understood people that pay hundreds of dollars for Danskos. If I were going to a conference, I'd wear suit + slacks +tie.
3. Maybe $100 per year. I hate shopping and won't buy anything unless it's at least 60% off retail price.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Ask what kind of attire is expected and just wear that.

desiderium

Post by desiderium » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:40 am

frugalfraggle wrote:
desiderium wrote: I wear expensive Italian shoes that fit me very well every day. They dress up a suit as well as an open shirt, even jeans. They cost $5-600, BUT, they last me at least 8 years.
Would love to see a pic please.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/santoni-dan ... %20LEATHER

This brand fits me extremely well. They go on sale at the end of July. I have accumulated 4 different pairs in the last 10 years, all of which are in full service. The pair I wear 3-4d a week X 5 years looks as good as new. I don't anticipate buying any work shoes for the next 5 years. Annualizing cost, including maintenance is probably ~$175, comparable to my previous budget for ill fitting and unexceptional looking shoes.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:28 am

1) DW is a RN
2) She has to buy her own scrubs
3) We spend about $300 or so per year on the scrubs and probably the same on good quality Dansko type shoes

She had the white lab coat they were required to purchase in nursing school , almost never wore it. Its hanging in the laundry room gathering dust.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

NJDMD

Post by NJDMD » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:10 pm

1. Male DMD in central NJ

2. Button down shirt, dress pants, tie and white coat. There is definitely something to be said for being comfortable but my staff wears scrubs and I always felt like the Dr should be a step up. That's just me and please don't anyone take offense!

3. Maybe $500 -- some of that for new clothes, some for dry cleaning.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:34 pm

letsgobobby wrote:I have a friend who has a very rich and famous clientele in West Los Angeles. Lots of movie stars and other celebs and their children. He told me he felt compelled to buy several pairs of very expensive shoes, because otherwise his clients treated him and his practice with disdain; and the shoes were one of the first things they noticed.
I was going to make a joke about this, but many lifetimes ago when I had to choose an orthodontist, I was given a choice between this grandfatherly person with 30 years of experience, versus this seriously cute young, well-dressed doctor a few years fresh out of dental school. Let's just say I made the wrong choice.

When I chose a family doctor, I was swayed by people who looked fit, healthy and happy rather than how they dressed. I didn't think I would be too impressed by advice to exercise more/eat healthily/do this/don't do that from someone who didn't follow his own advice.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:42 pm

Male MD. Outpatient setting only.

I wear a button up long sleeve shirt, a tie, and dress pants. No white coat. The shirts and pants are all wrinkle-free, and I bought most of them either at Kohl's, Brooks Brothers, or online on Amazon.

I don't really have a clothing budget, but if I had to average it over the years, I'd say maybe $100 a year at the most. The pants I buy last about 5 years, and the shirts last anywhere from 3-5 years. I only own 4 pairs of pants and 6 shirts, so it's not a huge expense.

EXH

Post by EXH » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:31 pm

Female MD all office based - so happy not to have to wear sloppy scrubs anymore! No idea what my budget is - probably a few hundred a year. I buy mostly wool pants than last forever (still wearing my 10 year old ones from med school) - always on sale, although infrequent dry cleaning fees add up. Otherwise I largely buy used clothing or make my own. Nothing from Target - I'm kind of a fabric snob - lots of silk/wool/cashmere. I try to buy things that are made to last not seasonal throw-away items. Usually one pair of work shoes a year - mostly on sale at Amazon nowadays. My work shoes are usually only worn at work so they last a really long time. You really don't have to spend much to dress nicely, but it depends how much you mind paying full price for things vs spending time looking for a deal. Most docs I know spend considerably more just because it's easier, which I totally get!

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:32 pm

JDCarpenter wrote:I'll add a counterpoint on behalf of DW, a female OBG in private practice. (Don't know how applicable to a DVM though)

She very rarely wears scrubs in the office--only if more than one patient likely to deliver during office hours or something similar. She views it as a type of marketing. Dress, skirt/blouse; nice slacks/cords in the winter. Sensible shoes since on her feet all day. (Don't think she's ever spent over 125 on a pair--and that is rare.) Her spending on an annual basis has been less than $1500, and decreasing over the years, as she wears them until they wear out.

Too late to properly edit first post. Just ran Quicken report for 15 years. Actually less than $750 for DW work clothing. (That is overestimate, due to lack of precision in my records) And add White House | Black Market to sales destinations.
Edit Signature

BlueFin

Post by BlueFin » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:38 am

texascat1 wrote:I will be graduating as a veterinarian in a little over a year. This next year is my clinical rotation where I will need to dress in business cloths (nice shoes, slacks, and good tops seems to be the general idea) with a white coat to impress clients at the teaching hospital daily. I am going into small animal medicine where some doctors dress nice but in a way that they are still fine getting covered in parvo diarrhea and vomit.

Most people aren't impressed by clothing.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:23 am

Male Anesthesiologist -$0. Maybe $500 if you factor in athlesiure wear that gets me from parking lot to locker room.
Female Ob/gyn - $3000. Likes betabrand. Beware physician mom group on Facebook. Enemy of your budget.
Small animal vets we know are covered in pet hair. Maybe ask for tips from close upperclassmates/proctors?

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:38 am

BlueFin wrote:

Most people aren't impressed by clothing.
Within reason. :D (I would not expect a first-time potential corporate client to react the same way if, instead of donning my old-school lawyer uniform to visit their offices for a dog and pony show, I chose to wear the ripped-up, stained clothing I use when bush-hogging my property.)
Edit Signature

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:13 am

MD here and would advice to dress professional and sharp. The truth of life is you are ALWAYS marketing yourself to the outside world. That involves your looks, your professional manner towards patients and their family, and your ability. You will be judged everyday by your colleagues and those around you intentionally or unintentionally. It would be great if all opinions on folks are soley based on abilities, but that is not the world we live in. Either you accept it or not doesn't change that fact.

We live in a visual world and looks matter. That includes personal hygiene, i.e. not smoking, no bad breath, clean shaven or well groomed facial hear, etc...

I dress up in dress shirt, dress paint, dress shoes, and tie everyday and trust me you get treated different then the bloke who shows up in scrubs.

It is understandable if some folks wear scrubs everyday based on necessity, i.e. folks puking on them, spray of bodily fluids, having to do procedures without the time to change (emergency procedures), etc... For those folks it is understandable. For others it doesn't look professional especially when your other colleagues show up everyday in professional clothes.

There is research to support patients prefer their MD to dress professional vs. scrubs.

Good luck.

p.s. If dressing professional doesn't matter then why do FA always dress well. It is that persona folks are buying into when they give them their money to invest. Right or wrong it is true.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:16 am

BlueFin wrote:Most people aren't impressed by clothing
I'll disagree here. For the first decade after graduating you'll get the question "are you old enough to be a doctor?" People in their 70's have difficulty distinguishing between a 20 year old and 30 year old.

Professional appearance helps communicate "I'm serious about my profession and helping you."

Show up on time, well dressed with a smile and start listening - most client will probably trust you. For the puppy-treats win the day :happy

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:54 am

staythecourse wrote:
p.s. If dressing professional doesn't matter then why do FA always dress well. It is that persona folks are buying into when they give them their money to invest. Right or wrong it is true.
Wealth signaling is a heck of a lot more important for an FA than it is a physician.

BlueFin

Post by BlueFin » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:25 pm

DVMResident wrote:
BlueFin wrote:Most people aren't impressed by clothing
I'll disagree here. For the first decade after graduating you'll get the question "are you old enough to be a doctor?" People in their 70's have difficulty distinguishing between a 20 year old and 30 year old.

Professional appearance helps communicate "I'm serious about my profession and helping you."

Show up on time, well dressed with a smile and start listening - most client will probably trust you. For the puppy-treats win the day :happy
There's a big difference between dressing professionally and trying to impress someone by wearing expensive clothes.