Iphone SE

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
tenkuky

Iphone SE

Post by tenkuky »

Having lasted with an Iphone 3GS (yes!) for the last 8-9 years, I was debating getting a new phone.
Checked out Swappa (thanks to BH), but never really bit (either due to concerns about quality of product or sometimes outrageous price).
I am not a fan of large screens and have limited need for large memory.
The new SE release (this week) seems to be right size and price.
Is there anything I am missing?
The tech specs seem to be similar to 5S which was the closest I considered to buy on Swappa.
Valdeselad

Re: Iphone SE

Post by Valdeselad »

tenkuky wrote: The tech specs seem to be similar to 5S which was the closest I considered to buy on Swappa.
Design is the same as a 5S...tech specs are on par with the 6S (minus 3d touch)
Topic Author
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Valdeselad wrote:
tenkuky wrote: The tech specs seem to be similar to 5S which was the closest I considered to buy on Swappa.
I stand corrected, thank you. I meant that, silly me.
So overall, worth it for an almost $ 250 discount for smaller screen?
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

tenkuky wrote:
Valdeselad wrote:
Yes, I believe that the point of the SE. It's a value product.
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

Coming from a 3GS, you might be happy enough with the 5S itself. On sale now at Walmart for $199.
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

tenkuky wrote:
Valdeselad wrote:
I think the SE is a good value for the internals of this phone. Coming from a 3GS this will feel like night and day. As a final point, I think the design of the 5S (and now SE) is arguably the best iPhone design by Apple. I, for one, am glad they are keeping it around.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

marcwd wrote:Coming from a 3GS, you might be happy enough with the 5S itself. On sale now at Walmart for $199.
+1
Ninnie

Post by Ninnie »

For those of us who like smaller phones the SE is fantastic news. I have a 5S and I find it the perfect size.

It sounds like a great choice for you. Spend the extra money on the SE over the 5S - you're going to keep your phone a long time and you don't want to start out with 3 year old technology.
GKSD

Post by GKSD »

Like others have already mentioned, coming from iPhone 3G to iPhone 5E would be quite a bit of upgrade for you. The 5E specs are comparable to latest 6S series phones.

But if all depends on what you use your phone for. Are you someone who mostly use phone as a utility gadget - voice calls, texts, occasional maps/GPS etc or someone who uses Phone as an entertainment gadget - streaming music, streaming videos, photography etc. If later then 5E is what you want. Plus you are going to keep this new phone for a long time as well - so better to buy the latest specs.

If you are not a strong Apple follower, there is pretty good Android/Google phone option as well for $350 - Nexus 5X phone from Google https://store.google.com/product/nexus_5x

I have iPhone 6S and have had iPhone for last 4 years or so. Prior to that I had an HTC-Android phone - did not like Android at that time. iPhone/iOS was much better in user experience, but recent releases of Android have caught up and they have closed that gap with iPhone/iOS.
Topic Author
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

All great comments, thanks
I looked at the 5S for $ 199 at Wally's World, it is secured to Straight Talk.
I like my pay-per-month incredibly cheap ATT non-contract family plan, but will look more.
I was used to Safari crashes, limited memory, etc but sturdy as anything
Dropped a jillion times, lost volume and power buttons, cracked and still working
Time to upgrade.
Last edited by tenkuky on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Ninnie wrote:For those of us who like smaller phones the SE is fantastic news. I have a 5S and I find it the perfect size.

It sounds like a great choice for you. Spend the extra money on the SE over the 5S - you're going to keep your phone a long time and you don't want to start out with 3 year old technology.
They are coming from a 3GS. Plus the 6S is only a minor upgrade from the 5S if you don't care about the screen size, camera upgrade etc. Really there is no need in the OPs situation to go with the SE over the 5S. But otherwise it is nice to see Apple launching at a better starting price for consumers. If $200 extra matters little go for the SE. If it does matter you will be happy with the 5S and spending $200+ less.
Topic Author
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

jjface wrote:
Ninnie wrote:For those of us who like smaller phones the SE is fantastic news. I have a 5S and I find it the perfect size.

They are coming from a 3GS. Plus the 6S is only a minor upgrade from the 5S if you don't care about the screen size, camera upgrade etc. Really there is no need in the OPs situation to go with the SE over the 5S. But otherwise it is nice to see Apple launching at a better starting price for consumers. If $200 extra matters little go for the SE. If it does matter you will be happy with the 5S and spending $200+ less.

That $ 199 deal is secured to Straight Talk prepaid, otherwise a steal!
Have a family plan dirt cheap with ATT (grandfathered from 5 years), otherwise would jump.
corysold

Post by corysold »

Cricket sells the 5S for $199 as well, which is on the AT&T towers. Lowest plan is 2.5gb for $35. Not sure how that compares to you current plan.
Topic Author
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

corysold wrote:Cricket sells the 5S for $199 as well, which is on the AT&T towers. Lowest plan is 2.5gb for $35. Not sure how that compares to you current plan.
Currently for 2 phones and unlimited minutes and 500 MB rollover data is $ 70.
We have never crossed even half of our data allowance in last 5 years.
So the Cricket sounds intriguing since I need the phone anyway.
Though how is Cricket on roaming (since we travel a bit) and for international rarely (with an outside SIM)?
Right now, we are unlocked so travel outside US is a breeze.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

corysold wrote:Cricket sells the 5S for $199 as well, which is on the AT&T towers. Lowest plan is 2.5gb for $35. Not sure how that compares to you current plan.
We just switched from AT&T to Cricket. Added a phone in the process (my old work provided phone, new one does not). Our old family plan (3 phones total) was a discounted major company plan: family shared minutes, unlimited text, 1 smart phone at 3 gig, 2 dumb phones: $140 a month on 2 year contract.

New plan with Cricket (4 phones total) 1 smart phone at 5 gig, 2 smart phones on 2.5 gig, 1 dumb phone. $105 a month. No contract. I can pay the bill with Gamestop cards (which I pick up discounted on eBay). I have the prepay with a CC for the discount but can still add money anytime.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Post by 123 »

I migrated from a feature phone to a Moto E smartphone (with Android) last year. Since I wasn't sure how useful a smartphone would be for me I avoided the Iphone due to high cost at the time. Since I've now decided that a smartphone is indispensable and with the price reduction with the SE starting at $399 I'm about ready to jump on the Apple bandwagon.

Since I've got wifi most of the time and don't use the phone that much one of the Tracfone plans for $20 every 3 months works just fine for me.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.