Are you saving for your children's wedding(s)?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
betterfinances

Are you saving for your children's wedding(s)?

Post by betterfinances » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:32 am

Are you saving for your children's wedding?

Boys, girls, or both?

How much?

I am not saving for my children's weddings. If they want to throw a big party and blow a bunch of money for a one night event, they're certainly welcome to do so on their own dime. I'll probably toss a cursory amount ($1,000 or $2,000) their direction to help out a bit but have no plans on saving up $20,000 or $40,000 (today's dollars) their direction for a fancy wedding.

Now if the government ever comes out with a 529 plan for weddings, I might change my mind. :D

flyingbison

Re: Are you saving for your children's wedding(s)?

Post by flyingbison » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:41 am

No. Of all the things I may need to spend money on in the future, a wedding isn't even on my radar. My daughter may not even get married in my lifetime, and if she does I don't consider it my obligation to pay for it.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:46 am

no

Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:47 am

Whoa! I don't even want to think about that.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

greg24

Post by greg24 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:47 am

flyingbison wrote:No. Of all the things I may need to spend money on in the future, a wedding isn't even on my radar. My daughter may not even get married in my lifetime, and if she does I don't consider it my obligation to pay for it.

+1

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:49 am

Well, it was a while ago... early 2000's... but we did not expect to pay for our son's wedding, and didn't, and we did expect to pay for our daughter's wedding, and did. I don't remember specifically saving for it. It was peanuts compared to her college tuition.

I would describe my daughter's wedding as your stock traditional U.S. customary middle-class "normal church wedding." She did most of the plans and I thought she was restrained with expenses. Reception for about forty people at a golf club, midrange food (buffet, with a guy carving roast beef at the end of the table), bar free up to 6 p.m. then before the reception then cash afterwards, no-name champagne, DJ, photographer, videographer, organist, cantor, donation to church (not requested or even hinted at, and they seemed surprised and pleased)... it all added up... about $25,000 total.

Hey, it's her life, not ours. I think $25,000 for a wedding is silly but she's our daughter, it's what she wanted, we could afford it, and we were happy to give it to her. My wife and I got married in judges' chambers for $20 but I don't think my daughter needs to make every life decision exactly the same way we do.

Obligation? Obligation? I don't know from obligation. She wanted it, we love her, we could afford it, we did it. We enjoyed the wedding.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

wilked

Post by wilked » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:03 am

This is a strange topic?

No plans to save for a wedding, we have at least 10 things to save for before then, including that trip to Africa we want to take!

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:14 am

In many families, large, lavish weddings are the norm. If you're in one of those families, you should save, maybe not in a designated wedding account, but somewhere. If you can't save, then you should start talking to your child, particularly if your child is a girl, while she's young about how she's not going to get the storybook wedding that her first cousin got unless she plans to pay for it herself. If you are not in one of those families, thank your lucky stars.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:16 am

Not saving for it. I think in the modern era, when people are marrying later, there is less need of parental help than in past times. When children were routinely marrying at 22 (or younger), the need for help paying for a wedding was greater. Now that average age for a first wedding is late 20s, those getting married have (hopefully) been in the workforce for some time. Parental help is less a given than it once was.

That said, I probably would help out if requested. I would offer to pay for dinner for out of town guests the night before, or brunch for out of town guests day after even if not asked (my parents did this for my wedding). We had a pretty expensive wedding -- paid for by ourselves -- but I think the modern tendency towards grandiose has gone too far, and don't feel a need to encourage/subsidize it myself.

That said, if you want a say in certain aspects of the wedding, perhaps paying some gives you that. If you are not paying, and they decide that all they can comfortably afford is a wedding for 60 guests to include just immediate family and close friends, and that doesn't include your dear Cousin Millie, well, so be it. Negotiations over who makes the cut and who doesn't can be touchy in any case, but given a budget and venue lines do need to be drawn.
Last edited by Da5id on Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhc

Post by mhc » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:30 am

No.

I am not opposed to throwing some decent amount of money to my kids to use toward a wedding, car, or house if I can afford it. I will just have to see how things are going when the time comes.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:47 am

mhc wrote:No.

I am not opposed to throwing some decent amount of money to my kids to use toward a wedding, car, or house if I can afford it. I will just have to see how things are going when the time comes.

I agree with this.

I think some folks still feel it traditional for the parents of the bride to pay but there has always seemed to be a debate over whether the parents paying means they are buying into doing the sizing/planning/budget or if they are just footing the bill up to a certain amount. I think some parents are happy to pay as a sort of pride in that they can afford to throw a big party. I've also talked to other folks who have saved $20K-$30K that they have offered either towards a wedding or towards a house down payment.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:49 am

This comes far below college, which we also have zero intentions to pay for. We'll probably handle it the same way, with a very sizable gift after it is all done (the wedding, not the marriage).

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:53 am

I gave each of my daughters the same set amount of money which they were informed off soon after their engagement. My first daughter who also received the same amount of money from the future in laws wanted the money up front, when asked if she needed it she told me she wanted to put it in the bank. My second daughter never got around to asking for the money and it was given in a card at the wedding reception.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:02 am

Fortunately (in this case) I have boys, one of whom was recently married.

Bride's family covered most of it. I threw in a significant amount (five figures) to help out. I didn't really save up for it, just paid it out of my liquid assets.

I did pay for my children to attend college and we did not receive any help from anywhere.

The bride's family typically covers the cost of the wedding. With so many affluent people on this board, I am surprised at the responses.

I guess it is all about priorities.
Last edited by munemaker on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

junglegirl

Post by junglegirl » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:03 am

I'm not even planning on having a wedding for myself :D (marriage, hopefully, but no plans for a huge party)

No, I would definitely not make this a priority.

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:13 am

munemaker wrote:Fortunately (in this case) I have boys, one of whom was recently married.

Bride's family covered most of it. I threw in a significant amount (five figures) to help out. I didn't really save up for it, just paid it out of my liquid assets.

I did pay for my children to attend college and we did not receive any help from anywhere.

The bride's family typically covers the cost of the wedding. With so many affluent people on this board, I am surprised at the responses.

The brides family covering the cost of the wedding is pretty much a thing of the past in my area.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:18 am

fourwaystreet wrote:The brides family covering the cost of the wedding is pretty much a thing of the past in my area.

I'd guess bride's family is still slightly more likely to pay than grooms as old customs die slowly, but I agree the tendency is to be more egalitarian these days...

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:21 am

fourwaystreet wrote:
munemaker wrote:Fortunately (in this case) I have boys, one of whom was recently married.

The brides family covering the cost of the wedding is pretty much a thing of the past in my area.

I have an employee who took a 2nd job this past year, solely to save up to pay for her daughter's wedding. This mid-50yr old woman worked 80+ hrs/week for almost an entire year so that her princess could have her day. On the other hand, I was married 3yrs ago and if we would have asked my in-laws to help out with the cost there would have been a chuckle that could have been heard down the street. I'm not so sure it is a cultural norm now, just depends on the family.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:24 am

No we are not. Our goal is to put the kids through college. They can save up for the wedding (if any). Will we help? Who knows but this is not not the radar.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:27 am

munemaker wrote:The bride's family typically covers the cost of the wedding.

I'm rarely this much in the feminist camp but this 'tradition' largely went out when women fought for and won the rights to vote, drive and earn a living. I'm putting my savings into giving mine a great education and debt-free start after college graduation. IMO they have the tools they need to take care of themselves without having to rely on a man (any man, Daddy included) to fund their way through life.

Having said that, I agree with an earlier poster that in some families it isn't real unless there is a splashy event and if that is the tradition in your family, power to you. We just don't happen to be one of those families. Should I be able to at that point, I am far more likely to assist my daughters with either a downpayment on a house or with funding a 529 for THEIR kid/s.
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:27 am

No. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:30 am

Not saving so much as planning and acting currently and hoping we'll eventually be in a place to help, kinda like college. There ain't enough money around right now to save for stuff like that. This goes for girls (currently have) and boys (currently would like to have).

Our #1b financial goal is to give our kids what my parents (and my hefty scholarship) were able to give me: a debt-free start to adulthood.

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:35 am

No. (But we've never really had "savings earmarked for X" in our finances.)

Two of our boys will be formally engaged within a couple of months--and the middle son and his GF just celebrated their 5 year mark as a couple and have planned their lives/grad work around staying together, so we consider all three as m/l engaged. (And, even better, we love what we know about the young ladies!)

Two of the couples will be making north of 300K at the time of their weddings. The other is well-situated, although not at that level. None of them had any undergrad loans, as we paid for undergrad. Thus, they can easily foot the wedding bill.

If we contribute, it will be out of cash flow/investments--but it will not be a huge amount of money.
Edit Signature

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:58 am

Da5id wrote:
fourwaystreet wrote:The brides family covering the cost of the wedding is pretty much a thing of the past in my area.

I'd guess bride's family is still slightly more likely to pay than grooms as old customs die slowly, but I agree the tendency is to be more egalitarian these days...

It is true even in my conservative neck of the woods (Deep South) that the groom's family pitches in more these days. But I think brides still drive the wedding planning, i.e., it is typically (not always, granted) the bride who decides if there will be a big wedding.

csc-az

Post by csc-az » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:17 am

Four daughters and yes we're planning to provide a modest amount for their weddings (mid-to-high four figures for each). We've started saving but have a long time (hopefully at least a decade) so we're not in a rush.

We're Mormon so based on our religion's norms there's a decent chance that some (all?) of my daughters will marry while still attending college, which means they'll have difficulty paying for their wedding on their own, and we wouldn't want them to delay it for financial reasons.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:43 am

csc-az wrote:Four daughters and yes we're planning to provide a modest amount for their weddings (mid-to-high four figures for each). We've started saving but have a long time (hopefully at least a decade) so we're not in a rush.

We're Mormon so based on our religion's norms there's a decent chance that some (all?) of my daughters will marry while still attending college, which means they'll have difficulty paying for their wedding on their own, and we wouldn't want them to delay it for financial reasons.

Then the reception will probably be in the cultural hall and be a family potluck 8-) , should be cheap...I am also LDS.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:52 am

stoptothink wrote:
csc-az wrote:Four daughters and yes we're planning to provide a modest amount for their weddings (mid-to-high four figures for each). We've started saving but have a long time (hopefully at least a decade) so we're not in a rush.

Then the reception will probably be in the cultural hall and be a family potluck 8-) , should be cheap...I am also LDS.

We did something similar for our wedding. (We're Catholic, not LDS.) We had beer (a keg we ordered of some local brew), wine (that we got from WSJ Wine with their promo coupons), and pizza from an out-of-this-world local place, all in our parish hall. It was a lot of fun for everyone, or at least it seemed so. With the small sum chipped in from parents, we didn't have more than $1k out of pocket. We blew all of our money on the European honeymoon. :happy

csc-az

Post by csc-az » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:53 am

stoptothink wrote:Then the reception will probably be in the cultural hall and be a family potluck 8-) , should be cheap...I am also LDS.

Definitely an option. I imagine we'll probably just tell our daughters they have $X from us and let them decide how it is used. A cheaper wedding/reception might leave some to help pay for the honeymoon, etc.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:56 am

Texanbybirth wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

We did something similar for our wedding. (We're Catholic, not LDS.) We had beer (a keg we ordered of some local brew), wine (that we got from WSJ Wine with their promo coupons), and pizza from an out-of-this-world local place, all in our parish hall. It was a lot of fun for everyone, or at least it seemed so. With the small sum chipped in from parents, we didn't have more than $1k out of pocket. We blew all of our money on the European honeymoon. :happy

It's kind of the cliche for Mormon weddings, although I have been to some outrageous ones which I would guess set back somebody's parents six-figures. My wife and I skipped the entire thing and eloped then had a small family get-together (including the potluck) after our religious ceremony (temple sealing).

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:18 pm

munemaker wrote:With so many affluent people on this board, I am surprised at the responses.

The REASON so many people on this board are affluent, is they don't throw away money on wasteful purchases.

It's the exact same response you'd get if you asked what car most Bogleheads drive. You wouldn't be surprised if most of them said Honda or Toyota, would you? You wouldn't say "Wow, I thought most of you guys were rich, why aren't you all driving Teslas?"

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:27 pm

I'm a little surprised at the responses as well. I grew up in Atlanta and of all my married friends...the bride's family paid for the wedding and the groom's family paid for the rehearsal dinner in about 90% of them. Didn't know this tradition was dying elsewhere.

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:41 pm

We got married a few years ago. My wifes family kicked in what they could toward the wedding and we were very grateful for what they could do. We kicked in the difference. We had about 250 people there, full Catholic mass but reception wasn't at the parish hall. My parents picked up the rehearsal dinner tab for about 60 people and kicked in for our honeymoon (we went to Europe, so we ended up picking up the difference on that trip.)

All in, we probably spent close to $15k on the wedding/reception. Not bad considering 250 people I don't think. Rehearsal dinner was around $4,000. Honeymoon was around $10k total. A lot of money, no doubt, but those few weeks were some of the best memories we've ever had and we were able to do it all without taking on debt - which I think is crucial for a young couple.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:52 pm

I had no idea that it was customary for the bride's family to foot the wedding bill. I wonder what happens at a same-sex wedding, then. I will be going to two later this year and I will be sure to ask :D

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:54 pm

SouthernCPA wrote:rehearsal dinner tab for about 60 people

Wow that's a big wedding party! Is it now customary to invite folks outside the wedding party to the rehearsal dinner as well or did you really have that many people in your wedding?

UADM

Post by UADM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:14 pm

College, yes. Wedding? Maybe a contribution.

What about 2nd and 3rd wedding?

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:24 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:

Wow that's a big wedding party! Is it now customary to invite folks outside the wedding party to the rehearsal dinner as well or did you really have that many people in your wedding?

All of the weddings I've been to, or my wife if she has been hired as a musician, there are more than just the strict wedding party (couple, groomsmen, bridesmaids) at the rehearsal dinner. For example, our wedding:

Us: 2
Parents: 4
Wedding party: 24 (12x2, significant others)
grandparents: 4
ushers: 4
readers/musicians: 4
kids of above, and out of town family: 10
Priest: 1 (no significant other :P )

That's 53 for us, and it sounds like SouthernCPA had a larger wedding. As it seems the old tradition of strictly the bride's family paying for the wedding is changing, so perhaps the tradition of who is invited to the rehearsal dinner is changing?

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:37 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:

60 was wedding party (6 groomsmen, 6 bridesmaids) + their dates (that's 24), our priest, parents (3 sets since wife has divorced/remarried parents), grandparents, aunts/uncles and cousins (all had a part in the wedding - reading in Mass, Eucharistic minister, etc).

It all adds up quickly.

Best part was the honeymoon. We actually had our marriage blessed by the Pope while we were in Rome at his General Audience. Amazing experience.

kelway

Post by kelway » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:45 pm

No, but I'll be happy to pay for a nice honeymoon. If my sons come to me wanting to have a big wedding, I'll consider that I failed. I'm not driving around this old Honda Civic with a cracked iPad 3 in the front seat for nothing. I'm doing it to model the correct and simple way to live.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:52 pm

I had originally planned to give each of my kids $5000 for their weddings. To use or save as they see fit.

My wife is thinking $10,000 now each, which I think is way too much... She and I, after all, got married for about $2000 18 years ago, which we paid ourselves with no help from the parents.

The longer my kids wait to get married, I'm afraid, the more this is going to cost me. :)

I definitely, at least, have my wife on board with giving them a lump sum... I'm curious to see which of them save the money, or if they go crazy-wild on a wedding (spending their own money past whatever we give them).

One question I have... What if some of your kids don't get married and others do? Should you give the gift to all? At what age?

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:54 pm

Rupert wrote:
Da5id wrote:

It is true even in my conservative neck of the woods (Deep South) that the groom's family pitches in more these days. But I think brides still drive the wedding planning, i.e., it is typically (not always, granted) the bride who decides if there will be a big wedding.

Of course the bride still drives the wedding planning!! The groom has only two real tasks. 1) Be on time 2) Be sober for the ceremony.

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:00 pm

We allocated a set amount for daughter number 1 and gave her the option of taking the money or applying towards a wedding. She chose the wedding although I thought it was an expensive indulgence. Daughter number 2 will have the same option/deal. My wife and I pretty much paid for our own smallish affair 35 years ago but decided a wedding budget for our kids was something we could afford and indicated taking the cash was the best deal they would likely ever get.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:03 pm

We paid for all our kids college. Each 100K+
We may contribute some to be nice, but don't see the point of paying for one big party for one night, that's a waste.
The wedding gifts from generation before was to help young couples to establish a home and life. Today's big parties are a show off.
That's dumb.

BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:17 pm

HomerJ wrote:What if some of your kids don't get married and others do? Should you give the gift to all? At what age?

This is a great question. I'd say it applies to pretty much any family with multiple sibs. Do you help out Kid A more than Kid B because A has a lower-paying job and more offspring? Or if you give money to a daughter for her wedding should you also give the same amount to a son for another purpose (or the same one)?
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:28 pm

HomerJ wrote:
munemaker wrote:With so many affluent people on this board, I am surprised at the responses.

The REASON so many people on this board are affluent, is they don't throw away money on wasteful purchases.

It's the exact same response you'd get if you asked what car most Bogleheads drive. You wouldn't be surprised if most of them said Honda or Toyota, would you? You wouldn't say "Wow, I thought most of you guys were rich, why aren't you all driving Teslas?"

I guess some of it comes down to how you were raised.

My family paid 100% of my college education, and my wife's family did the same for her. We never thought about not fully funding our kid's education.

When we were married, my wife's family paid for the bulk of the wedding, and my family paid for the rehearsal dinner and bar bill. We never thought about not doing the same. It helped both sides of the family get to know each other a little before the wedding reception, which was nice.

Admittedly a small sample, but in my circle of friends and relatives, the bride's family usually covers the cost of the wedding. The groom's family covers the rehearsal dinner and often helps out with the cost of the wedding in some way. Judging by the responses here, our social circle is way out of the norm.

My wife and I have reached critical mass financially, and I could quit working whenever we want. Even though we are financially independent, I drive a Honda CRV (don't see the connection between what you drive and whether you help with your kid's wedding). Due to my personal values, I would want to help my kids have a nice wedding.

BTW, we also had about 80 people at the rehearsal dinner. There were a lot of out-of-town people in for the wedding, so we just invited whoever wanted to come.

We generally live frugally and don't waste a lot of money. Major events like buying a house, college education and a wedding are exceptions.
Last edited by munemaker on Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

csc-az

Post by csc-az » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:30 pm

HomerJ wrote:One question I have... What if some of your kids don't get married and others do? Should you give the gift to all? At what age?

I assume I'll be optimistic and have the funds available whenever they might be needed, at any age. The alternative seems like a rather depressing (and discouraging) conversation to have with your child. And it's not like this would be the only gift/help that will be given. It's just a specific event that I'll always want to be ready to help with.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Locked. Non-personal topic. From the forum rules:
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) financial life. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.