Resident of NJ, W2 from Employer only has NY State

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
MutualFun

Resident of NJ, W2 from Employer only has NY State

Post by MutualFun » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:34 pm

I am a resident of New Jersey, and I worked for part of 2015 in New York. My New York employer gave me Federal and New York State W2 forms, but not for New Jersey. For my New Jersey Tax return, do I exclude that W2 form entirely? If not, do I include the NY W2 form or the Federal W2 form?

I am not itemizing and the NY income is reported on my Federal and State tax returns.

cadreamer2015

Re: Resident of NJ, W2 from Employer only has NY State

Post by cadreamer2015 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:49 pm

If you are a resident of NJ you must pay NJ income tax on all your income, where ever earned, if it is over the threshold NJ has set, which from what I can tell is $10,000 for single and $20,000 for married filing jointly. You should also file a NY income tax return, as you may get a refund for some of the NY income tax withheld from your W2. Your W2 only shows NY tax withholding because you worked in NY.
De gustibus non est disputandum

MutualFun

Post by MutualFun » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:08 pm

So in my paper filing to New Jersey, do I include the "Form: W-2 Wage and Tax Statement 2015" called "Copy 2, to be filled with employees tax return for NY" or not at all?

I understand NY income will be counted in NJ and I will receive a tax credit in NJ for taxes paid to NYS. My question is about the 1/4th of a sheet of paper. Thanks!

nps

Post by nps » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:47 am

MutualFun wrote:So in my paper filing to New Jersey, do I include the "Form: W-2 Wage and Tax Statement 2015" called "Copy 2, to be filled with employees tax return for NY" or not at all?

I understand NY income will be counted in NJ and I will receive a tax credit in NJ for taxes paid to NYS. My question is about the 1/4th of a sheet of paper. Thanks!
Use a photocopy of Copy 2 for NJ return, original Copy 2 for NY return.

dailybagel

Post by dailybagel » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:57 am

I agree with nps' suggestion to include a photocopy of the W-2.

If you do work for this New York employer in the future, you could check with the payroll department, to make sure they have your home address in the their payroll system. My employer handles this case properly, showing "NY" wages (source) and "NJ" wages (employee residence), and withholding to New York.

MutualFun

Post by MutualFun » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks everyone! :)

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:13 am

dailybagel wrote:I agree with nps' suggestion to include a photocopy of the W-2.

If you do work for this New York employer in the future, you could check with the payroll department, to make sure they have your home address in the their payroll system. My employer handles this case properly, showing "NY" wages (source) and "NJ" wages (employee residence), and withholding to New York.
If your employer doesn't get this right, make sure you compute your NJ wages properly. NJ wages are often higher than wages in other states, because NJ taxes insurance premiums paid by payroll deduction, contributions to any retirement plan other than a 401(k), and HSA contributions.
Wiki David Grabiner

celia

Post by celia » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:20 am

Were you (and your wife, if married), residents of NJ for the whole year? If you lived in New York for part of the year, you may also owe New York some taxes too.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.