Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
jastevenson
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:32 am

Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by jastevenson » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:47 pm

I have 3 credit cards with Chase. In the past 4 months, two were hacked once, and the third was hacked TWICE!

After the latest hack, I received a new card direct from Chase. I haven't used the card a single time in a MONTH (either online or offline) until today.

Today, 1 hour after I used it for the first time ever (at the DMV, which I have never been to before), Chase called me and notified me about a separate fraudulent transaction that had occurred within the hour.

It can't be the DMV, since my credit card was hacked 3 other times in the past few months, but I had never been to the DMV until today.

I was at the DMV alone, and NO ONE (other than the DMV person) could have known that I used my card for the first time today.

How is this happening?? :oops: :!: :| :annoyed :confused :confused
Last edited by jastevenson on Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

livesoft
Posts: 61349
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:50 pm

My former company had Chase cards hacked before we received them in the mail. Then the replacement cards were hacked before we received them in the mail. Chase has internal security problems.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Hector
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by Hector » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:14 pm

Similar happened to me.
A particular card of mine was compromised and financial institute sent me new one. And new was got compromised while it was on the mail.

takeshi
Posts: 1174
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by takeshi » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:44 am

jastevenson wrote:How is this happening??
No idea. There are many methods of fraud. You definitely want to take a close look at how you're using your cards but not all methods of fraud require physical access to your card or a data breach. Even if you're vigilant you can't prevent it all.

Make sure you actively monitor all open accounts for fraud.

BahamaMan
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by BahamaMan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:55 am

It's happening all the time. See this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=184223

GreenGrowTheDollars
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:40 pm

I have a Chase Amazon Visa, and was issued a new card a few months ago with a chip. It had a different number than the old one, and a different expiration date.

I only use this card for Amazon.com purchases. I don't use it for anything else, and don't carry it with me. Other than putting the card number into Amazon's website months ago, I haven't touched it.

Yesterday I saw a pending charge for around $35 from a trendy outdoor wear website targeting 20-30 year-olds. That would not be me. It was not my charge.

Chase's credit card website instructed me to call a certain phone number to report fraud. That turned out to be Chase's business credit card main line, and not useful.

I called the number on the back of the card, and after many minutes of listening to all sorts of voice response prompts that had nothing to do with fraud it never gave me any option to talk to a human. Apparently from Chase's perspective, it can't be fraud if it is a pending charge. :annoyed I sent them a message via their secure messaging service, but crickets so far on any meaningful response.

So I took route two and reached out to the folks with the website. They were actually interested, and with the last four digits of the CC # and the amount of purchase said they could see the transaction and canceled the shipment. Which is, I guess, one good thing.

So -- how did my info leak? Amazon hack? Chase hack? And why does Chase not seem to care?

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by munemaker » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:37 pm

When you are able to report a fraud, they never want to work with you to determine how it happened. They won't give you any information.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 7176
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:54 pm

If this happened to my Chase cards, I'd simply dump Chase completely. Plenty of other issuers around.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

GreenGrowTheDollars
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:If this happened to my Chase cards, I'd simply dump Chase completely. Plenty of other issuers around.
Is Citibank better? Fidelity's new Visa?

TTBG
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by TTBG » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:53 am

My Discover card was recently hacked, with a $500 charge for a gift card at an online business I never heard of. I use this card a lot and have it set up to send emails for online transactions, but I was busy all day and didn't see the email until late on a Friday evening. I checked my account and the charge was still pending. I called the number on my card and said "Speak to a representative" to bypass all the menu options, and waited on hold less than a minute before I got a live person. The representative said she didn't think they could do anything about a pending charge, BUT she also said she wanted to check with the security department to be sure. And after another minute on hold, she came back and transferred me to someone in security. He said there was already a second pending charge from another website I had never heard of. So he cancelled the card, and then he went thru all the other charges that had been made in the previous week to confirm that they were legitimate.

All in all I was on the phone about 10 minutes, and didn't have to spend the rest of my weekend fretting about it. So I was pretty happy with how Discover handled it.

jpelder
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:56 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by jpelder » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:59 am

GreenGrowTheDollars wrote:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:If this happened to my Chase cards, I'd simply dump Chase completely. Plenty of other issuers around.
Is Citibank better? Fidelity's new Visa?
I've had my Citi card for 3 years now, and haven't had any fraud. This is even with a few bills (Netflix, Dollar Shave Club) and a few sites (PayPal, Amazon) having my card number saved, and using it for all in-person purchases at a variety of stores. Citi does offer a "Virtual Account Number" feature which generates a single-use card number to use on websites you don't trust (I use this for all sites besides Amazon, PayPal, and recurring payments). I imagine this may help prevent fraud (or at least reduce the places with my real account info).

No experience with Fidelity's products

mkc
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by mkc » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:03 am

GreenGrowTheDollars wrote:
Is Citibank better? Fidelity's new Visa?
Timely subject.

We have had a Citi card for years. The number gets compromised roughly every 18-24 months, their end has almost always caught it before us and called US to ask about suspicious charges (typically either a test charge of $1 or so or a charge at an online merchant).

Fast forward to today, I get my "charges over $1" alert e-mail. 2 small-ish fraudulent charges made locally, 3 AM and 9AM. Short call to Citi and those pending charges are removed, my card number cancelled, and a new card should be here via FedEx tomorrow. I believe they didn't contact us first because they were local charges, one at a Home Depot close to home (and relatively close to a gas station where I last used my card on the 17th.....) No card is perfect, but I our experience with Citi and their dealing with fraudulent charges has been very good. I also like that they have "virtual cards" you can use for online purchases so you never share your real card number with merchants and you can set amount and date limits for the virtual cards (which once used by a merchant cannot be used by any other, although recurring charges from the same merchant are OK)

The downside is that they have not yet issued chip cards (unless the replacements on their way have chips).

roflwaffle
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:08 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by roflwaffle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:21 am

We had some recurring fraud as well. I was baffled until I realized that HSBC (Now Capital One and still doing the same thing) put the CC number in the monthly statement. Someone would go through our mail to steal one every few months. Ironically enough, my request to have the statements mailed to a family members locked box after I guessed this might be an issue was rejected after the second set of fraudulent charges. After dealing with a third round of fraud a few months later, HSBC finally said they would do it. On the plus side, after we filed a police report, the city put in a wire less video camera, and I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with mail theft since then.

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 2037
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by linenfort » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 am

GreenGrowTheDollars wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:09 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:If this happened to my Chase cards, I'd simply dump Chase completely. Plenty of other issuers around.
Is Citibank better? Fidelity's new Visa?
Old thread, but-
my Fidelity Visa card is compromised regularly. Most recently, yesterday. :|
Is it too early for an all-bond-portfolio thread?

mouses
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by mouses » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:49 am

My Capital One card was compromised a month or two ago. I actually caught it, not their fraud department because I was in their website and just happened to see it. Their phone is not 24/7 so I used the website to report it then phoned in when they were open. They had seen the website report and shut down the card.

My complaint is it took a couple of weeks to get the replacement card.

So in the meantime, I got a Chase card, since my plan of two cards to avoid inconvenience when one is shut down now had me down to one card for a couple of weeks. There has been no fraud on the Chase card (yet) and I used it enough to get the sign up bonus and not since then. I also set the alerts to any charge.

Saying Representative seems to get past a lot of those interminable phone menus.

leftcoaster
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:04 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by leftcoaster » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 am

Have you looked to see if your computer is infected with key logger malware that transmits your card info to an adversary as you type it?

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 4762
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 am

My primary card from Citi Bank allows me to use 'virtual' or temporary card numbers. Other banks offer this service but not on all cards (I have a second Citi card that doesn't offer the feature). I use a virtual card number for all online purchases or when I give a card number out verbally. It involves an extra step but prevents my real card number from being stored in those companies' databases or floating around on someone's desk, etc. When using a virtual card number I always apply a maximum dollar limit very close to the purchase amount I'm using it for so it would be declined for any purchase that it is used for following mine. So far this approach has worked for me.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

leftcoaster
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:04 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by leftcoaster » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 am

And some online stores accept payment cryptograms, like Apple Pay, which are single use and bound to a precise amount. Lyft and Uber accept this as do an increasing number of etailers.

themesrob
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by themesrob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:52 am

whenever I hear stories about credit card numbers being stolen in seemingly impossible scenarios, I think about this episode of This American Life (the Prologue and Act One portions): https://www.thisamericanlife.org/587/th ... f-intimacy

Liberty1100
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by Liberty1100 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:08 am

Reading all of these stories about credit cards getting hacked makes me appreciate that I don't use debit cards. Imagine all of those phony purchases tying up your money for days until it gets resolved. How annoying that would be.

Getting hacked 4 times in such a short amount of time is against the odds. The only other way to know if you had used the card would be online through your Chase account. Perhaps someone has your online login information to Chase and checked it. Change your password and set up 2-factor if possible. I would also ensure you have good online hygiene and make sure you are using a secure device if accessing Chase or other financial accounts online (Make sure you see the https, make sure you are accessing the right websites, make sure your passwords show up as *, inspect for spyware or malware especially if windows operating system.)

Another possibility is someone is opening your mail and resealing it. I would inspect the next card from Chase to see if it was tampered with. It being used within the same hour might have been coincidence.

At this point, I would open an account with another issurer just to see if it is Chase. Citi's Doublecash is a great general card and they have the ability to create the temporary credit card numbers for one-time use occasions that others have mentioned.

leftcoaster
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:04 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by leftcoaster » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:10 am

Always insist on a plain old ATM card, not one that has the Visa "feature."

bberris
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by bberris » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 am

Inside job.

User avatar
Info_Hound
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by Info_Hound » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Now a days cards are compromised via company data base breaches instead of the card being physically compromised. That is the most likely reason for card hacks when you had possession of the card all along. Remember the Target breach, as one example.

Once the bad guys vacuum up those numbers from a merchant's data base, it is just a matter of time before the card info is used by someone at another vendor. If the card is cancelled, they move on, if it is still live they have a party.

Some businesses are so bad with their security that credit card companies have blocked them from doing on line transactions with the credit card company. I encountered this when trying to purchase something from Bed, Bath & Beyond on line.

likegarden
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by likegarden » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:12 pm

I think my Capital One credit card fell for an inside job. There was a charge of more than $100 with a round $ number, no cents, at a local store of a large national drug store. I think buying items there will include sales tax. Capital One issued a new card. I did not go to that drug store for several months, so someone there might have thought card was no longer in use and not monitored. I usually save receipts from credit card purchases, and there was no receipt for that purchase in the pile.
Last edited by likegarden on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rubixx
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:14 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by rubixx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:19 pm

likegarden wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:12 pm
I think my Capital One credit card fell for an inside job. There was a charge of more than $100 with a round $ number, no cents, at a local store of a large national drug store. I think buying items there will include sales tax. Capital One issued a new card. I did not go to that drug store for several months, so someone there might have thought card was no longer in use and not monitored.
Also could have been a gift card, which do not have sales tax.

RetiredAL
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by RetiredAL » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:05 pm

leftcoaster wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:10 am
Always insist on a plain old ATM card, not one that has the Visa "feature."
I too use only a plain ATM Card. I had to argue with the bank to send me one a few years ago after they upgraded me to a Visa ATM, without my consent, as part of a routine expire replacement.

I also never use my ATM Card any place other than at that bank's teller machines. Credit Cards have much better fraud protections at the personal level than ATM Cards. I want the separation from the card to the paying account, which you do not get from an ATM Card. Likewise, I do not use bill paying auto-pays via "pulls" from my checking account. All pulling auto-pays transact to a Credit Card.

Yes, Fidelity, Schwab, and SocSec are linked to my bank for routine transfers. I'm retired and they supply my monthly money flow. I trust Fido and Schwab to be better than the average retailer, not so sure about the Gov't, but I'm forced to use them. Overall, you don't hear much about EFT fraud, it's mostly about Credit Card or ATM Card fraud.

I haven't had any Credit Card issues in the last few years, knock on wood. OK, I know I likely just jinxed myself.
Last edited by RetiredAL on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Alexa9
Posts: 1365
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Order new card numbers every few years.
Use one card for shopping out and about, one for online, one for bills.
Really curious why there is no PIN number required on all purchases yet.
Luckily you're protected assuming you catch it.

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 2037
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by linenfort » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm
Really curious why there is no PIN number required on all purchases yet.
That would be ideal.
Is it too early for an all-bond-portfolio thread?

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by munemaker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:25 pm

I recently posted about a fraudulent charge on an unused card that was not even activated. I would love to know how these things can happen.

madbrain
Posts: 4945
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by madbrain » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:52 pm

linenfort wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:48 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm
Really curious why there is no PIN number required on all purchases yet.
That would be ideal.
PIN is fine for in-person transactions. As soon as you want to do phone or online transactions, the PIN model does not work, as you would not want to give the PIN to anyone.

Most of the cards I use have gotten hacked at one point or another. The dormant ones have not, somehow. I use Quicken to monitor them all.

Fidelity was the worst offender by far, when the cards were managed by BofA. Have not had them replaced yet since they switched to Elan (Capital One). But I hardly use those Fidelity cards anymore.

madbrain
Posts: 4945
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by madbrain » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 pm

RetiredAL wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:05 pm
leftcoaster wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:10 am
Always insist on a plain old ATM card, not one that has the Visa "feature."
I too use only a plain ATM Card. I had to argue with the bank to send me one a few years ago after they upgraded me to a Visa ATM, without my consent, as part of a routine expire replacement.

I also never use my ATM Card any place other than at that bank's teller machines. Credit Cards have much better fraud protections at the personal level than ATM Cards. I want the separation from the card to the paying account, which you do not get from an ATM Card. Likewise, I do not use bill paying auto-pays via "pulls" from my checking account. All pulling auto-pays transact to a Credit Card.
This is all fine and good, but if you ever travel out of the country, an ATM-only card is not going to work, and you won't find your own bank's ATM machines there. So, you just won't be able to obtain cash. In some countries, almost all business is done in cash, so you would be really SOL. VISA or MC debit cards will work at nearly all ATMs worldwide. Yes. it's a huge pain when they are compromised. I had my Fidelity VISA debit card stolen once, and my husband his Fidelity VISA stolen recently too. Both times in the US in our home city. It took a few weeks to get the money back, and it was an inconvenience. Since our Fidelity cash account is no longer our primary banking account, it's much less of an issue now. We only keep a small balance in it for the express purpose of cash withdrawals. It was overdrawn for a bit after the most recent theft, but we didn't really care. We weren't charged any fees.

Some payees simply do not allow auto-pay by credit card. My water utility does not accept credit cards at all. If I want them automated, I have to use ACH pull. No other choice. Or pay the bill manually. by check (or billpay).
I think my electric & gas utility allows credit card payments with a convenience fee, but only for one-time payment, not recurring.

And of course, there is the matter of auto-paying the credit cards themselves.

RetiredAL
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by RetiredAL » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 pm

madbrain wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Always insist on a plain old ATM card, not one that has the Visa "feature."

This is all fine and good, but if you ever travel out of the country, an ATM-only card is not going to work, and you won't find your own bank's ATM machines there. So, you just won't be able to obtain cash. In some countries, almost all business is done in cash, so you would be really SOL. VISA or MC debit cards will work at nearly all ATMs worldwide. Yes. it's a huge pain when they are compromised. I had my Fidelity VISA debit card stolen once, and my husband his Fidelity VISA stolen recently too. Both times in the US in our home city. It took a few weeks to get the money back, and it was an inconvenience. Since our Fidelity cash account is no longer our primary banking account, it's much less of an issue now. We only keep a small balance in it for the express purpose of cash withdrawals. It was overdrawn for a bit after the most recent theft, but we didn't really care. We weren't charged any fees.

Some payees simply do not allow auto-pay by credit card. My water utility does not accept credit cards at all. If I want them automated, I have to use ACH pull. No other choice. Or pay the bill manually. by check (or billpay).
I think my electric & gas utility allows credit card payments with a convenience fee, but only for one-time payment, not recurring.

And of course, there is the matter of auto-paying the credit cards themselves.
Madbrain

To date, I have not been an international traveler, so thanks for the heads up that I will need one when I do.

I'm sorta old fashioned -- I pay most of my bills via by my bank's bill-pay after I receive a statement. Only some of my insurance payments are auto-pay to the credit card. You are right that many places will not accept a Credit Card for bill payments.

123
Posts: 3387
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by 123 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:55 pm

I've had a replacement card "hacked" before I even opened the envelope containing it. There was a separate thread that discussed a service that card issuers offer to merchants to "update" customer credit card info when cards are replaced (a merchant who operates a subscription or recurring charge service might use this). So I suspect that data leakage from this service might be behind a lot of mysterious hacking incidents involving replacement cards.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 13439
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by Watty » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:06 pm

madbrain wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 pm
This is all fine and good, but if you ever travel out of the country, an ATM-only card is not going to work, and you won't find your own bank's ATM machines there. So, you just won't be able to obtain cash.
At least in Europe my ATM only card has worked just fine but it has been a few years since I used it there.

Do you have any more information on that?

Katietsu
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by Katietsu » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Watty wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:06 pm
madbrain wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 pm
This is all fine and good, but if you ever travel out of the country, an ATM-only card is not going to work, and you won't find your own bank's ATM machines there. So, you just won't be able to obtain cash.
At least in Europe my ATM only card has worked just fine but it has been a few years since I used it there.

Do you have any more information on that?
I also question this. My ATM only card from my regional bank is part of the PLUS network. The following is from June 2017:

If your ATM card is linked to the PLUS, Cirrus or Maestro networks, you have the option of using it to obtain cash virtually anywhere in the U.S. and in hundreds of countries worldwide. Each network has more than a million ATMs.

gilgamesh
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:29 am

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by gilgamesh » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Hector wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:14 pm
Similar happened to me.
A particular card of mine was compromised and financial institute sent me new one. And new was got compromised while it was on the mail.
Whoa! I would have thought this is impossible...unfrickingbelievable...good info!

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 2037
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by linenfort » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 pm

madbrain wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:52 pm
linenfort wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:48 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm
Really curious why there is no PIN number required on all purchases yet.
That would be ideal.
PIN is fine for in-person transactions. As soon as you want to do phone or online transactions, the PIN model does not work, as you would not want to give the PIN to anyone.

Most of the cards I use have gotten hacked at one point or another. The dormant ones have not, somehow. I use Quicken to monitor them all.

Fidelity was the worst offender by far, when the cards were managed by BofA. Have not had them replaced yet since they switched to Elan (Capital One). But I hardly use those Fidelity cards anymore.
I agree, although one usually has to supply that extra string of 3-4 digits on the back for online purchases.
I’ve stuck with Fidelity/Elan out of greed: 2% back on any and all purchases. Makes the annual hack worthwhile.
Is it too early for an all-bond-portfolio thread?

madbrain
Posts: 4945
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by madbrain » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 am

Katietsu wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 pm
Watty wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:06 pm
madbrain wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 pm
This is all fine and good, but if you ever travel out of the country, an ATM-only card is not going to work, and you won't find your own bank's ATM machines there. So, you just won't be able to obtain cash.
At least in Europe my ATM only card has worked just fine but it has been a few years since I used it there.

Do you have any more information on that?
I also question this. My ATM only card from my regional bank is part of the PLUS network. The following is from June 2017:

If your ATM card is linked to the PLUS, Cirrus or Maestro networks, you have the option of using it to obtain cash virtually anywhere in the U.S. and in hundreds of countries worldwide. Each network has more than a million ATMs.
Hundreds of countries ? I question this. There aren't hundreds of countries on the planet.

The Chase ATM card I have which is linked to my savings isn't linked to any network AFAIK. At least, no logos other than Chase appear on it or on the back. There are no digits on the back either, meaning it can't be used online for those sites that request them. I can make withdrawals with this card in the US, but doubt that it would work in any other country. I have not tried use this card abroad so I can't verify.

My debit cards at other banks do have these other logos (Plus, Cirrus, etc) printed, in addition to VISA or MasterCard. But they are not just ATM cards - they are debit cards.
Last edited by madbrain on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

madbrain
Posts: 4945
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by madbrain » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:18 am

linenfort wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 pm
madbrain wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:52 pm
linenfort wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:48 pm
Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm
Really curious why there is no PIN number required on all purchases yet.
That would be ideal.
PIN is fine for in-person transactions. As soon as you want to do phone or online transactions, the PIN model does not work, as you would not want to give the PIN to anyone.

Most of the cards I use have gotten hacked at one point or another. The dormant ones have not, somehow. I use Quicken to monitor them all.

Fidelity was the worst offender by far, when the cards were managed by BofA. Have not had them replaced yet since they switched to Elan (Capital One). But I hardly use those Fidelity cards anymore.
I agree, although one usually has to supply that extra string of 3-4 digits on the back for online purchases.
I’ve stuck with Fidelity/Elan out of greed: 2% back on any and all purchases. Makes the annual hack worthwhile.
One year, I was sent 4 new sets of Fidelity cards (we have 2 accounts, and are authorized on both). We were using those cards a lot. These days, we find the offerings from Chase and Citi to be better for us. Though I did recently prepay my property tax with the Fidelity card.
We still use Fidelity mostly for the debit card which allows fee-free cash withdrawals worldwide. Recently, they have given us separate debit card numbers for our joint Fidelity cash account. That came in handy when I forgot my Fidelity debit card in a machine in Thailand for the second time in that country. I think it has to do with the machines in that country being programmed to dispense the cash and the receipt first, before asking you to take out your card. Machines in the US are programmed differently.
Anyway, this time around, I only had to have my own debit card cancelled, but my husband's card still worked. First time around, it was a PITA as both were cancelled since they had the same number.

The numbers on the back can be figured out by thieves, the way I understand it, so they are not that much security. And of course they are static, so if you use them online once, and that one merchant gets hacked, the security of your cad is gone.

madbrain
Posts: 4945
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by madbrain » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:19 am

gilgamesh wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 pm
Hector wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:14 pm
Similar happened to me.
A particular card of mine was compromised and financial institute sent me new one. And new was got compromised while it was on the mail.
Whoa! I would have thought this is impossible...unfrickingbelievable...good info!
This is most likely due to a security compromise at the bank itself.

User avatar
burt
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:47 am

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by burt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 am

Two credit cards from two different financial institutions hacked within the past 4 months.
One card is used for online transactions only and the other card is used for in person purchases.
Both times the fraud departments alerted me.
I was in the middle of a Netflix streaming movie when I get a message that service was stopped because autopay bombed.
What a pain. Makes me wonder if the cost of fraud is getting anyone's attention in the banking industry.

burt

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:58 am

RetiredAL wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 pm
I'm sorta old fashioned -- I pay most of my bills via by my bank's bill-pay after I receive a statement. Only some of my insurance payments are auto-pay to the credit card. You are right that many places will not accept a Credit Card for bill payments.
i'm sort of old-fashioned too. In past years, I would pay everything by paper check, and I would sit at the kitchen table with the monthly checking statement spending thirty minutes or more trying to track down a three-cent math mistake in my checkbook.

These days, I'm quite a bit older, and I'm looking to streamline and automate as much of this process as possible, so that if I get hit by a truck or keel over dead, DW will have an easier time picking up the pieces. Also, if we happen to be taking an extended trip outside the US, I won't have to worry that a bill will go unpaid. I have the electric and water bills set up for ACH pull each month, I have the rest of the monthly bills set up to go to a credit card which is set up for auto-pay from the checking account, and our propane is purchased a years' worth at a time through an early-buy contract in late summer each year.

None of this involves a debit card. The only thing I use our debit card for is ATM access at the local brick-and-mortar bank branch. I never, ever purchase anything with it.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 2037
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by linenfort » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:47 pm

madbrain wrote:We still use Fidelity
...
Recently, they have given us separate debit card numbers for our joint Fidelity cash account.

Good to know. I Wish we could get two separate numbers for credit cards in one household. One for telecom and other auto-billings that are a pain to reset and another for Yeti mugs and such.
Is it too early for an all-bond-portfolio thread?

Geologist
Posts: 1181
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by Geologist » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:58 pm

madbrain wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 am


Hundreds of countries ? I question this. There aren't hundreds of countries on the planet.
There certainly are hundreds of countries on the planet, nearly 200, in fact.

madbrain
Posts: 4945
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by madbrain » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Geologist wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:58 pm
madbrain wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 am


Hundreds of countries ? I question this. There aren't hundreds of countries on the planet.
There certainly are hundreds of countries on the planet, nearly 200, in fact.
In fact, less than 200, making the plural incorrect.

madbrain
Posts: 4945
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by madbrain » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:05 pm

linenfort wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:47 pm
madbrain wrote:We still use Fidelity
...
Recently, they have given us separate debit card numbers for our joint Fidelity cash account.

Good to know. I Wish we could get two separate numbers for credit cards in one household. One for telecom and other auto-billings that are a pain to reset and another for Yeti mugs and such.
That's a good reason to use multiple credit cards. Some issuers on certain cards will let you generate numbers that are good for a certain amount, a certain merchant, or a certain duration. Citi is one of them, but that feature is not available on all their cards.

Ron
Posts: 6312
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by Ron » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Geologist wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:58 pm
madbrain wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 am


Hundreds of countries ? I question this. There aren't hundreds of countries on the planet.
There certainly are hundreds of countries on the planet, nearly 200, in fact.
"Based on the seven-continent model, and grouping islands with adjacent continents, Africa has the most countries with 54. Europe contains 49 countries and Asia 48, but these two continents share five countries: Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Russia, and Turkey. North America consists of 23 sovereign states, Oceania has 14, and South America 12."

Additionally, "The World Factbook provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities."

Reference: https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... index.html

- Ron

Geologist
Posts: 1181
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by Geologist » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 pm

madbrain wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:03 pm
Geologist wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:58 pm
madbrain wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 am


Hundreds of countries ? I question this. There aren't hundreds of countries on the planet.
There certainly are hundreds of countries on the planet, nearly 200, in fact.
In fact, less than 200, making the plural incorrect.
More than 100 mean "hundreds" is correct.

madbrain
Posts: 4945
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by madbrain » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Geologist wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:11 pm
madbrain wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:03 pm
Geologist wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:58 pm
madbrain wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 am


Hundreds of countries ? I question this. There aren't hundreds of countries on the planet.
There certainly are hundreds of countries on the planet, nearly 200, in fact.
In fact, less than 200, making the plural incorrect.
More than 100 mean "hundreds" is correct.
I stand corrected. I'm not a native English speaker and would have never guessed that "hundreds" could apply to any number over 100, but it is apparently so. That is very counter-intuitive to me.

User avatar
linenfort
Posts: 2037
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:22 am
Location: #96151D

Re: Credit card keeps getting hacked, even when unused! (4x now!)

Post by linenfort » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:35 pm

I actually agree with madbrain. Whichever is technically correct, I think of hundreds as several hundred and dozens as many sets of 12 minimum, not fourteen.
Is it too early for an all-bond-portfolio thread?

Post Reply