Do most of you plan to retire "full-time"?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
AdmiralJJ

Do most of you plan to retire "full-time"?

Post by AdmiralJJ » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:11 pm

As I read these posts I often see people talk about retiring at a set age, say 55, and I'm just wondering if the goal for most of you is to quit working totally.

That is, go from being a thrifty, no-Starbucks, pavement pounder for 30 years into watching Arsenio reruns 7 hours a day?

I'm very much looking forward to what I call "retirement," which means basically being able to choose to work on my own terms. It might mean fishing in New Zealand for 6 months, painting my garage, and then throwing myself into 5 months of consulting at 60 hours a week. I can't imagine a retirement in my 60s that doesn't involve a fair bit of employment.

I wonder if folks who work very, very hard expect that they'll be happy if they go from very full work lives to "full-time" retirement.

In my limited observations, the people who are happiest in that type of transition were people who pretty much hated their jobs (I come from auto worker country). They have that 30 years marked on a calendar the day they started. For the engineers and software people here, I wonder what they think retirement means.

Interested in your thoughts and expectations.

Toons

Re: Do most of you plan to retire "full-time"?

Post by Toons » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:16 pm

"That is, go from being a thrifty, no-Starbucks, pavement pounder for 30 years into watching Arsenio reruns 7 hours a day? "

Say What??
I've been retired for 5 years.
I've been too busy to turn on the TV that much :beer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:28 pm

I worked "very, very hard" in my career, and ended up running the joint for my last 16 years. It was a great gig, but when I retired it was to not work anymore.

The slow joys of retirement have been even better than I imagined. You couldn't pay me to go back to work. (See what I did there? :wink: )

And I don't watch television.

ETA: We ARE binge viewing "House of Cards", but hey it's the weekend.

delamer

Post by delamer » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:32 pm

I was never self-employed and my skill set does not lend itself to consulting -- although I did work part-time for quite a few years. So when I had had enough of dancing to someone else's tune after 37 years, I retired.

Some people jump right into a set of hobbies/volunteer work/etc.; I am not one of those. I am still in the process of figuring out retirement (it was just 5 months ago) but I have not regretted it for one second.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:33 pm

I will not work again for money the rest of my life.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:55 pm

AdmiralJJ wrote:As I read these posts I often see people talk about retiring at a set age, say 55, and I'm just wondering if the goal for most of you is to quit working totally.

That is, go from being a thrifty, no-Starbucks, pavement pounder for 30 years into watching Arsenio reruns 7 hours a day? ...
You nailed it at the 55 number. That is what I'm aiming for five years hence. And yes, that is going to be it for working. You won't catch me watching Arsenio but you certainly won't find me in the office.

In my mind "retiring" only in order to go back to work on some basis isn't retiring. It is working part-time.

To me, the goal of retiring is to call it quits with the working world and move on with my life. YMMV.
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:02 pm

I'm the poster boy for what you describe. I worked for 33 years and retired at 55. I then jumped into something I enjoy doing and happily collect a paycheck for doing it. I'll totally retire someday but for now I like the challenge. :sharebeer

dpc

Post by dpc » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:09 pm

I can't say I ever worked "very very hard", but I've been working part-time somewhat sporadically after "retirement" at 64. I think this is mostly out of fear of running out of money. I'm certainly enjoying sleeping a little later and not trying to run a business.

As I've said before, if you are a hard-charging, let's-make-a-plan, Type A person, that is not going to change at all when you retire. You'll just be channeling all that energy into something else other than work. If your profession lends itself to part-time work, and you still want to work, then why not? I think the problem is that in many professions, it's hard to keep it "part time", both time-wise and mentally.

Life in retirement is still just life - only with a much lower income. You will still be the same person. This is an area where the experience of others is not really that helpful, IMO.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:22 pm

AdmiralJJ wrote:I'm very much looking forward to what I call "retirement," which means basically being able to choose to work on my own terms. It might mean fishing in New Zealand for 6 months, painting my garage, and then throwing myself into 5 months of consulting at 60 hours a week. I can't imagine a retirement in my 60s that doesn't involve a fair bit of employment.
This is mostly a false dream for people still working...... The fact of the matter is most employers won't be interested in you after 6 months of retirement. I'm retired and could not imagine showing up at the office for 1 day much less 5 months. I am 65 and basically retired at age 50. I fooled around with 'consulting' for a couple of years, but it mostly 'got in the way' of my retirement. Life is too important to spend working.

BTW - I've fished in New Zealand. Currently in the Bahamas where I'll be fishing Bonefish tomorrow. I spend the winter there. Going to the office sounds very painful to me at this point.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:27 pm

Nicolas wrote:I will not work again for money the rest of my life.
Ditto. I tell people I am gainfully UNemployed. Full-time retiree part-time volunteer.

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:29 pm

Dimitri wrote:
AdmiralJJ wrote:As I read these posts I often see people talk about retiring at a set age, say 55, and I'm just wondering if the goal for most of you is to quit working totally.

That is, go from being a thrifty, no-Starbucks, pavement pounder for 30 years into watching Arsenio reruns 7 hours a day? ...
You nailed it at the 55 number. That is what I'm aiming for five years hence. And yes, that is going to be it for working. You won't catch me watching Arsenio but you certainly won't find me in the office.

In my mind "retiring" only in order to go back to work on some basis isn't retiring. It is working part-time.

To me, the goal of retiring is to call it quits with the working world and move on with my life. YMMV.
Thinking a little bit more about it I can understand working after retiring (if one doesn't need the money - if one does one shouldn't consider oneself retired). My wife's best friend's father retired from a "C" level position at a well-known electronics firm. He intended to enjoy his retirement traveling internationally with his wife. Regretfully she died within a year of his retirement. Lacking social interaction, and desiring same, he now drives a kojin (privately owned) taxi in Tokyo. But he only works when he wants for as long as he wants. If he doesn't feel like going out the car doesn't move. He isn't working for money. He is doing it to talk to people. If I was in his position I might just consider doing the same as I don't think it is necessarily healthy to sit at home and watch television all day.
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:30 pm

The reason I want to retire early is because I have a lot that I want to do that I don't have enough time for when I'm working. Travel, sports, art, volunteering. Working some more isn't on that list.

The only thing that would send me back to work is if I couldn't get health insurance another way.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:52 pm

That's exactly how I feel. I've kept plenty busy with a variety of volunteer activities which are definitely "work" but don't pay. I do them because I enjoy them. (I have gotten sick of a few of them after a few years so I've moved onto other activities.) At the moment I'm president of the board for our condo trust, an ESOL tutor and a reader for a radio station serving the blind. (I never watch daytime TV!) In the past I've held an office at our American Legion post, served as its public affairs officer and been on its Memorial Day parade. I've also held a number of posts at my church. I've enjoyed all these "jobs" but have rarely been stressed by them and don't let them interfere too much with my primary job which is being a retiree.

One incident shortly after I retired sums up my attitude these days. I was doing volunteer adult literacy/math tutoring at an inner-city learning center 2 days a week. I really enjoyed it, found it challenging and felt like I was doing something worthwhile. After I'd been there a few months one of the managers called me aside and said they really valued what I was doing, considered me "more than a volunteer" and would like me to start participating in their weekly staff meetings. Although I appreciated the compliment I made it crystal clear that, as a retiree, I no longer did staff meetings. If I'd been getting paid to do what I was happy to do for free I wouldn't have been able to decline as easily.
Friar1610

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:04 pm

I never picked a retirement day beforehand but I knew that when I did retire I would be done with work 100%. Its not because I hated my career its because I am fully aware life is very short and I had no intentions of dying on the job. I wanted to experience life without work. I don't need work to have a fulfilling feeling because just being alive every day and owning my own time is a pure joy and fulfilling in and of itself.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:13 pm

AdmiralJJ wrote: For the engineers and software people here, I wonder what they think retirement means.
I'm a little of both of these. I think the biggest thing it means is you are not thinking about work projects all the time. Not doing that is way more relaxing.

I did cut back to 3 days a week for a year to test the waters. That was a worthwhile test flight but there was still all that work stuff swirling around in your mind at 4 AM. So that was it for me.

I didn't retire very early if that means anything.
JW
Retired at Last

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:16 pm

friar1610 wrote:
That's exactly how I feel. I've kept plenty busy with a variety of volunteer activities which are definitely "work" but don't pay. I do them because I enjoy them. (I have gotten sick of a few of them after a few years so I've moved onto other activities.) At the moment I'm president of the board for our condo trust, an ESOL tutor and a reader for a radio station serving the blind. (I never watch daytime TV!) In the past I've held an office at our American Legion post, served as its public affairs officer and been on its Memorial Day parade. I've also held a number of posts at my church. I've enjoyed all these "jobs" but have rarely been stressed by them and don't let them interfere too much with my primary job which is being a retiree.

One incident shortly after I retired sums up my attitude these days. I was doing volunteer adult literacy/math tutoring at an inner-city learning center 2 days a week. I really enjoyed it, found it challenging and felt like I was doing something worthwhile. After I'd been there a few months one of the managers called me aside and said they really valued what I was doing, considered me "more than a volunteer" and would like me to start participating in their weekly staff meetings. Although I appreciated the compliment I made it crystal clear that, as a retiree, I no longer did staff meetings. If I'd been getting paid to do what I was happy to do for free I wouldn't have been able to decline as easily.
Our country needs more people like you guys. I hope I live long enough to be able to retire comfortably and donate my time to noble causes.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

sport

Post by sport » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Work is a four-letter word. :D

frugalecon

Post by frugalecon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:26 pm

I plan to leave the world of paid employment sometime between the ages of 56 and 62 (currently 51). When that happens, I will devote myself full time to things that I enjoy, things that I think are socially valuable and contribute to the commonweal, and things that will serve to prolong my life (exercise and cooking and growing good food). Some activities fall into multiple categories. I view retirement as that phase of life when I am on a schedule more akin to that of a prehistoric hunter gatherer, albeit one who has several million dollars working for him.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:40 pm

AdmiralJJ wrote:As I read these posts I often see people talk about retiring at a set age, say 55, and I'm just wondering if the goal for most of you is to quit working totally....
That was my goal when I retired 19 years ago at age 56, and so far I've succeeded brilliantly. Haven't worked for any kind of paycheck since the day I walked out the door for the last time. If I do any work it's doing something I want to do around the house.

And what's the matter with watching TV? No Arsinio, but I do watch several series every week. Right now I'm watching an Austrailian Rules footy game while I type this. That doesn't mean I don't do other things too, but I don't look on TV with the disdain some others seem to.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:48 pm

AdmiralJJ wrote: For the engineers and software people here, I wonder what they think retirement means.
It means working on the project *I* want to, not the ones I'm required to to get a paycheck. I think you'll find that most people who are creative and build things want to continue to do it their entire lives. The difference then between retirement and not isn't "work", it's "freedom" to do whatever projects you want whenever you want.

I've got a list of software/websites/apps, etc that I want to build that could last 3 lifetimes. I'm not doing it because I'm too busy doing that work for my clients for what they want, because that's where the money is. As soon as I don't need their money, I'm sinking more time into my projects.

AdmiralJJ

Post by AdmiralJJ » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:49 pm

OP here - very interesting stuff!

I was joking about Arnesio, although my (retired for 40 years) mother is a fan.

AdmiralJJ

Post by AdmiralJJ » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:52 pm

vitaflo wrote:
It means working on the project *I* want to, not the ones I'm required to to get a paycheck. I think you'll find that most people who are creative and build things want to continue to do it their entire lives. The difference then between retirement and not isn't "work", it's "freedom" to do whatever projects you want whenever you want.

I've got a list of software/websites/apps, etc that I want to build that could last 3 lifetimes. I'm not doing it because I'm too busy doing that work for my clients for what they want, because that's where the money is. As soon as I don't need their money, I'm sinking more time into my projects.
That sounds exactly like my plan; as I mentioned retirement for me just means the freedom to do what I want, including working only when I want to, on things I want to work on.

You've touched on an interesting point - all that creative energy is still there the day you leave the office - or at least I expect it to be there for me

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:01 pm

I retired at 54 and it was quite a few years before the not too frequent work-related nightmares stopped. I still sometimes wake up in the middle of the night because I think I hear the phone ring.

AdmiralJJ

Post by AdmiralJJ » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:17 pm

AlwaysaQ wrote:I retired at 54 and it was quite a few years before the not too frequent work-related nightmares stopped. I still sometimes wake up in the middle of the night because I think I hear the phone ring.
Yeah, I changed jobs in 2003 for exactly that reason.

Now, I'm usually dying to get to work each day. I know that I'm luckier than most in that regard

Sandman11154

Post by Sandman11154 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Retired a few years back at age 56 from the government with 31 years, civil service employee. After a couple of years home, wife got jealous and said I should go back to work so found a part time gig. Now, work 3 days/week and love it since that's found money. Haven't touched our retirement accounts and live off my pension and her earnings as we still support one kid in school.
Loved being home to do whatever I wanted but she was right, it was time to get back into life with others and make a few bucks. Glad I did and will work till I turn 65 and then collect s s on top of my pension. At that point, will never work again!

Sandman11154

Post by Sandman11154 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Retired a few years back at age 56 from the government with 31 years, civil service employee. After a couple of years home, wife got jealous and said I should go back to work so found a part time gig. Now, work 3 days/week and love it since that's found money. Haven't touched our retirement accounts and live off my pension and her earnings as we still support one kid in school.
Loved being home to do whatever I wanted but she was right, it was time to get back into life with others and make a few bucks. Glad I did and will work till I turn 65 and then collect s s on top of my pension. At that point, will never work again!

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:30 pm

That is, go from being a thrifty, no-Starbucks, pavement pounder for 30 years into watching Arsenio reruns 7 hours a day?

I'm very much looking forward to what I call "retirement," which means basically being able to choose to work on my own terms. It might mean fishing in New Zealand for 6 months, painting my garage, and then throwing myself into 5 months of consulting at 60 hours a week. I can't imagine a retirement in my 60s that doesn't involve a fair bit of employment.

I wonder if folks who work very, very hard expect that they'll be happy if they go from very full work lives to "full-time" retirement.

In my limited observations, the people who are happiest in that type of transition were people who pretty much hated their jobs (I come from auto worker country). They have that 30 years marked on a calendar the day they started. For the engineers and software people here, I wonder what they think retirement means.

If I could guarantee myself part-time work, I'd retire from my full-time job today (at age 46) and work 20 hours a week until I was 70.

However, part-time work is not guaranteed. So instead I'll work full-time until I have enough where I don't have to work ever again (hopefully by 55).

Now, when I "retire" at 55, I may look for some part-time work (that I enjoy) for some extra money... but since I can't count on finding those kind of jobs, I have to make sure I have enough to pay the bills even if I don't find any part-time work that I would enjoy.
I can't imagine a retirement in my 60s that doesn't involve a fair bit of employment.
It may not be up to you. That's the problem. You may be willing to work in your 60s, but you might not be able to find a job.

AdmiralJJ

Post by AdmiralJJ » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:45 pm

HomerJ wrote:

If I could guarantee myself part-time work, I'd retire from my full-time job today (at age 46) and work 20 hours a week until I was 70.

However, part-time work is not guaranteed. So instead I'll work full-time until I have enough where I don't have to work ever again (hopefully by 55).

Now, when I "retire" at 55, I may look for some part-time work (that I enjoy) for some extra money... but since I can't count on finding those kind of jobs, I have to make sure I have enough to pay the bills even if I don't find any part-time work that I would enjoy.
I can't imagine a retirement in my 60s that doesn't involve a fair bit of employment.
It may not be up to you. That's the problem. You may be willing to work in your 60s, but you might not be able to find a job.

I won't have any trouble finding a job. In my field there is always cyclical employment.

AdmiralJJ

Post by AdmiralJJ » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:46 pm

Oops, double post
Last edited by AdmiralJJ on Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Retired, 73.5 and still work P/T.
All the Best, | Joe

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:01 am

If I retire, I would not even think about any kind of working.

OK, do you consider playing cards with friends as working for free? Do you consider fishing at lakes as working for free? Do you consider travelling around the world as working for free? By the way, I will do all of these things voluntarily

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:02 am

Retired ten years ago, at age 55.5, into what became the best years of my life, and we don't watch TV.
1.the action or fact of leaving one's job and ceasing to work.

Grogs

Post by Grogs » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:26 am

I'm 42, hoping to be FI somewhere between about 55 & 60. I tell people that I like most parts of my job. Doing actual research and figuring things out is interesting, and I'm OK with writing reports on it. I'm not big though on the admin stuff like status meetings, writing grant proposals, and traveling around the country to meet with sponsors / collaborators. Unfortunately, my observation has been that as one becomes more and more senior the research becomes a smaller and smaller piece of the portfolio and the admin stuff becomes larger. And if I'm ever offered, and choose to accept, the chalice of management, the idea of conducting research goes completely out the window.

Based on these ideas, my thought is that once I'm FI I would consider working part time, but only if I was doing just the interesting research stuff and letting someone else handle the admin. We still have several guys in the office that fall into that category so it is at least a possibility. If I can't, I'll just go ahead and retire completely even if it means another year or two of full time work.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:36 am

Grogs: Yours is a common lament. I like the [research|technology|law|teaching|mentoring] but not the [administrivia|managing|politics] of my work. Dual track organizational structures (where you don't have to manage to advance) remain rare. Don't give up your passion for the money. Once you have FI, you will have much more flexibility. Hope it works out for you!
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:42 am

I worked full time.

I retired full time.

- Ron

AdmiralJJ

Post by AdmiralJJ » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:49 am

Thanks everyone for sharing these interesting thoughts.

I guess the plain fact is that I love my field of work. I have a wealth of hobbies but I usually get to indulge them now. If I factor in the financial question on the margin ("should i continue to work another year if I'm happy doing so?') the question answers itself.

Having said that, working toward FI means I will have a choice, which is ideal

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:16 am

AdmiralJJ wrote:That is, go from being a thrifty, no-Starbucks, pavement pounder for 30 years into watching Arsenio reruns 7 hours a day?
It's a false dichotomy on many levels.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:29 am

My wife and I are at least 15 to 20 years to retirement, so we don't know anything for sure. But given our backgrounds, it's not out of the question that we'll do some part-time or seasonal self-employment. I'm an attorney with a masters in tax, and she's a CPA. It would be easy to do some seasonal work either under our own shingle or in someone else's shop.

But I also plan to travel, sometimes to run marathons, sometimes just to sight-see. I plan to study more languages. I want to work on a degree in mathematics. I want to volunteer for both charitable and political causes. And my wife has her own set of dreams.

A few years ago we visited a small mountain town in Colorado in August. We stayed at a small bed and breakfast owned and run by a lovely couple, the husband a retired professor, the wife a retired professional. They lived in Arizona in the fall through spring. In the summer they lived in and ran their bed and breakfast surrounded by 14K mountains in Colorado. We thought they had a nice set-up.

Grogs

Post by Grogs » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:39 am

mrc wrote:Grogs: Yours is a common lament. I like the [research|technology|law|teaching|mentoring] but not the [administrivia|managing|politics] of my work. Dual track organizational structures (where you don't have to manage to advance) remain rare. Don't give up your passion for the money. Once you have FI, you will have much more flexibility. Hope it works out for you!
Thanks! We do have an R&D track and a management track, but I think the problem is that most people hit level 5 (of 6) of R&D at about somewhere around 16 - 20 years on the job. Getting to that last level is takes probably 30 - 35 years, and even then doesn't happen for the majority. That's why some people tend to move over to management once they hit level 5. I think if they didn't structure it that way, nobody would be a manager. :oops:

Ironically, I'm fortunate in that I started my job about 10 years later than the typical PhD straight out of school. That means I'll probably hit level 5 around 55 - 58. I won't have nearly as much incentive to jump over to management chasing future higher salaries as people who are 45 and expect to stay another 15 - 20 years.

gbru316

Post by gbru316 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:46 am

For this electrical engineer, it means not working. At all. Any engineering undertaken after retirement will be strictly for my own intellectual amusement and/or related to one of my hobbies.

"Hey, I wonder if I could build a backyard weather radar?"

AdmiralJJ

Post by AdmiralJJ » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:58 am

VictoriaF wrote:
AdmiralJJ wrote:That is, go from being a thrifty, no-Starbucks, pavement pounder for 30 years into watching Arsenio reruns 7 hours a day?

Victoria
Clearly a joke as Arsenio is only on 1 hour a day.

Care to play along or are you just doing a hit-and-run?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:07 am

AdmiralJJ wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

At the moment I only have time for a hit-and-run. We will play later.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

AdmiralJJ

Post by AdmiralJJ » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:10 am

VictoriaF wrote:
AdmiralJJ wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
Okay great. Looking forward to it though I could already make a decent guess how it will go. Or perhaps you'll choose to take the higher road and to let this interesting thread continue on its own -

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:12 am

AdmiralJJ wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

You mean 1 hour live? What about syndication?

But back to my point... I realize a completely sedentary lifestyle isn't good for one's health, but if someone has some favorite shows they enjoy watching what's wrong with that? Evaluating someone else's retirement lifestyle based on my personal likes and preferences is out of line IMHO. Would we criticize someone who spends many hours reading instead of watching TV? Probably not.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:13 am

AdmiralJJ wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
AdmiralJJ wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
Okay great. Looking forward to it though I could already make a decent guess how it will go. Or perhaps you'll choose to take the higher road and to let this interesting thread continue on its own -
Referring to your own thread as "interesting" is a lowbrow road.

Victoria

obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:20 am

No. I officially retired from my full time position last year age 50. I still see patients part time, and travel the rest of the time.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:47 am

I always worked hard with long hours and dedication to producing the best results I could. In addition to a full day at the office I was logged in at home several hours most nights and weekends. It was always in my mind that when I was done, I was done, not to be responsible for results of products or services to anyone again, other than myself.

I retired at age 64, now 68 and can't envision going back for any reason. Sorry, no Arsenio reruns here. There are too many trips to plan, photos to take, books, movies, music, restaurants to eat at, new places to explore and just plain breathing the fresh air to even think about being bored. .. and that doesn't even include a daily romp through the local newspaper, the NYT, USA Today, Bogleheads and some sports rags. Speaking of all that I remember I have two new albums in house for a couple of weeks now ... bye.

goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:49 am

For most, reaching the goal of optional retirement is sufficient. Knowing that they don't have to work or can change jobs or careers at their discretion is the goal. It is often described as financial "critical mass". Watching Arsenio, Oprah or Ellen illustrate modern American decay is the goal of few on this forum. You are describing flex retirement which is common amongst those who are fortunate to stay healthy and have a career that they enjoy or the ability to find a new one.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | "The best years you have left are the ones you have right now"

freebeer

Post by freebeer » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:03 am

BahamaMan wrote:
AdmiralJJ wrote:I'm very much looking forward to what I call "retirement," which means basically being able to choose to work on my own terms. It might mean fishing in New Zealand for 6 months, painting my garage, and then throwing myself into 5 months of consulting at 60 hours a week. I can't imagine a retirement in my 60s that doesn't involve a fair bit of employment.
This is mostly a false dream for people still working...... The fact of the matter is most employers won't be interested in you after 6 months of retirement. ...
You were in software/tech? I just don't see it that way. I'm 55 and while I'm still employed full-time I work with a number of consultants who are up to 10+ years older who are semi-/periodically employed. Sure, many (maybe most) tech employers will be more interested in younger and more intensively committed people. i.e. ageism is rampant, but there are those who need intermittent help and who aren't ageist. There's a shortage of tech employees in many major cities in US. You may not be able to work for a MegaCorp on an intermittent basis (unless you have connections, or like packing shipping boxes at holiday time) but lots of smaller firms are less picky. And the economy is shifting - that's why craigslist has a "gigs' section in addition to a "jobs" section. Then there's always open source development - pick a project you want to work on and while it may start pro bono there's often opportunities to also make some money once you become an accepted and valued contributor to the codebase.

That consulting didn't work out for you at age 50, it sounds like mainly because you didn't want to keep working on a limited basis, doesn't mean it's a false dream for those who do want to do that.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:06 am

Each person is different. Some people enjoy working while others can't wait to retire. Some people are bored in retirement but I feel that is because they are boring people. Some like to ease into retirement by working or consulting part time. Not really a one size fits all situation. For many people FI is more important than actually retiring.

In my case I retired at 56 "cold turkey" from a very high paying, stressful job. Took about 3 years to really feel free of the job. My "job" defined who I was and it took this time for me to redefine "me". Been retired almost 10 years and never considered returning to work. Love my life which does not include daytime TV. My motto in retirement is "burn calories". Never bored.