dividend forms

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
stonerolled

dividend forms

Post by stonerolled »

Can someone explain why it seems that the same funds are 1099 reported with different values on mutual fund vanguard and on brokerage vanguard?
Thanks.
Geologist

Re: dividend forms

Post by Geologist »

I think you need to explain more clearly what you mean by reported by different values.

If you mean that your mutual fund account was converted to a brokerage account containing mutual funds last year, then you received a mutual fund 1099 for the distributions you received while you had the mutual fund account and a brokerage 1099 for the distributions you received once the account was in the brokerage account. Since these encompassed different times of the year, naturally the values of the distributions would be different.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Geologist wrote:I think you need to explain more clearly what you mean by reported by different values.

If you mean that your mutual fund account was converted to a brokerage account containing mutual funds last year, then you received a mutual fund 1099 for the distributions you received while you had the mutual fund account and a brokerage 1099 for the distributions you received once the account was in the brokerage account. Since these encompassed different times of the year, naturally the values of the distributions would be different.
That should be the case. Note this means reporting both 1099s on your taxes so that the total of the pieces is added up. It isn't unusual for brokers that make some kind of account changes to issue separate 1099s for the two portions of the year.
Topic Author
stonerolled

Post by stonerolled »

Thanks for the reminder of the account changes that took place last year and explain the split. The grand total was reported. The same thing happened to with my HSA with 2 forms needed to complete the taxes.