Freezing Credit at TransUnion

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
likegarden

Freezing Credit at TransUnion

Post by likegarden » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:18 pm

I always wanted to freeze our credit reports, so finally I did it. I just successfully froze our credit reports at Equifax and Experian. I wonder if you had similar problems with doing that at TransUnion as I had.

At TransUnion on-line I had to open an account. TU asked to send me their promotional material. After I entered a UserID and a Password they told me that an account already existed and gave me that UserID which was made up from my name. I had never opened an account there! I wonder what happened there, artificial creation of a problem by TU? But I picked a PIN and everything was OK. When I tried the same for my wife, the business with UserID and Password got hung up. There was a phone number which I called, gave my ID there and was told I would get contacted. I just got their Email asking me to call another phone number.

I think that getting free credit reports and being able to freeze and unfreeze those was to help us consumers. Was that not requested by Congress? My experience with TransUnion seems to be limiting the availability of this service. Did you have a similar experience?

HueyLD

Re: Freezing Credit at TransUnion

Post by HueyLD » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:30 pm

My experience with TU has also been inconsistent.

I also got the feeling that TU does not want to deal with free credit report obligations. And TU is the only credit bureau that always demanded a "mailed in" application for the free credit report by claiming that it could not verify my identity. FWIW, the other two credit bureaus never seemed to have such problems.

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:50 am

I had a similar experience as you did Likegarden at Transunion. I've also had problems getting a free credit report from them. Like HueyLD I get the impression that Transunion does not want to deal with free credit reports or people who want to freeze their credit.

jimkinny

Post by jimkinny » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:25 am

I think that the charge to freeze credit reporting info is up to each state. Some states prohibit charges for freezing and/or unfreezing based upon age or situation.